PDA

View Full Version : Joel Campbell

Alpha
01-03-2012, 07:15 PM
This kid is so good and deserves an early thread even though he hasn't played a game for Arsenal yet . I always watch him when he plays on loan at Lorient in France . He reminds me of RVP in his younger years at Arsenal . Campbell is only 19 but has bags of talents . He can easily beat his marker like the Ox does . He reads the game well , has a good shot and is a fantastic finisher . His National team ( Costa Rica) beat Wales Yesterday and Campbell got the only goal . I hope he has a nice career at Arsenal as he has all the ingredients to succeed at top level .

Flavs
02-03-2012, 08:56 AM
he's shit, sell him!

Coney
02-03-2012, 09:10 AM
He reminds me of RVP in his younger years at Arsenal.

What - beating up his own teammates to get the ball?

Letters
02-03-2012, 09:17 AM
He reminds me of RVP in his younger years at Arsenal.

What, always injured?

Flavs
02-03-2012, 09:19 AM
He is also nothing like RvP as a youngster. He isn't Dutch, isn't white, and isn't a twat

He has also looked a bit shit every time i have seen him this season but then he plays in the same team as Jeremie Aliadiere and Giles Sunu so what can you do

LDG
02-03-2012, 09:28 AM
Friday morning blues :pal:

Alpha
02-03-2012, 09:32 AM
What - beating up his own teammates to get the ball?
Well , I know RVP was quite moody back in the day . But that is not only what we know of . He showed us he was quite a talented young player full of confidence and excitement . That Is the side that Campbell has . Not the bad side of RVP .

Alpha
02-03-2012, 09:34 AM
What, always injured?
I don't think he is an injury prone at all . He will amaze you next season .

LDG
02-03-2012, 09:36 AM
I think he'll be useless, based purely on the amount I haven't seen him play. Pub teamer. Another Wenger youngster who will cost us too much in wages.

Flavs
02-03-2012, 09:38 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yxaKgSNWGVg

LDG
02-03-2012, 09:44 AM
Looks rubbish.

Alpha
02-03-2012, 09:48 AM
He is also nothing like RvP as a youngster. He isn't Dutch, isn't white, and isn't a twat

He has also looked a bit shit every time i have seen him this season but then he plays in the same team as Jeremie Aliadiere and Giles Sunu so what can you do
I don't think we are talking about the way he looks here . It's his football skills which look like RVP's .
You should also consider he is a young man playing for a new league with a different culture and different language . It's not that easy .They need time to deliver . I often watch Lorient games . Joel Campbell impresses with his team play , his assist , his goals . Give him a chance .
Coquelin did not impress a lot when at Lorient but now he looks a very promising player .
Wales is not really a big team but it is not bad either . To see Campbell producing a Man of the Match display against a team featuring Bellamy is really encouraging for such a young talent .

Flavs
02-03-2012, 09:50 AM
It's his football skills which look like RVP's . You should also consider he is a young man playing for a new league with a different culture and different language . It's not that easy .They need time to deliver . I often watch Lorient games . Joel Campbell impresses with his team play , his assist , his goals . Give him a chance .

He has played 17 games has 1 goal and two assists i would hardly say that is setting Ligue one on fire mate. The only way he is like RvP is that he has a big left foot.

Flavs
02-03-2012, 09:51 AM
Coquelin did not impress a lot when at Lorient

That's nonsense as well

Alpha
02-03-2012, 10:07 AM
[QUOTE=Flavs;106958]He has played 17 games has 1 goal and two assists i would hardly say that is setting Ligue one on fire mate. The only way he is like RvP is that he has a big left foot.[/QUOTE
To be fair he has scored 4 goals already and most of the 17 games you are talking about he was a substitute .

Flavs
02-03-2012, 10:08 AM
http://www.ligue1.com/joueur/campbell-samuels-joel-nathaniel

LDG
02-03-2012, 10:19 AM
http://www.ligue1.com/joueur/campbell-samuels-joel-nathaniel

That's only Ligue 1 goals :ninja:

He scored in the cups too :ninja:

Flavs
02-03-2012, 10:20 AM
That's only Ligue 1 goals :ninja:

He scored in the cups too :ninja:

great that's just what we need, another Carlos Vela

Marc Overmars
02-03-2012, 10:21 AM
The new Vela.

LDG
02-03-2012, 10:22 AM
Looks rubbish.

:gp:

Cripps_orig
02-03-2012, 10:22 AM
If we dont buy a new striker cos we dont want to kill this Pub Teamer then we should all go and kill Wenger

Alpha
02-03-2012, 11:00 AM
Typical Arsenal fans . Bashing their own players before they even kick the ball . Is that frustration ? Maybe . Walcott vs Spurs sounds familiar ? Guess what ? Who had the last laugh ? I was ashemed to see people celebrating Theo's brace after giving the poor lad such a hard time . Arsenal fans :pal:

Cripps_orig
02-03-2012, 11:02 AM
Is Campbell the new Ade?

LDG
02-03-2012, 11:04 AM
Typical Arsenal fans . Bashing their own players before they even kick the ball . Is that frustration ? Maybe . Walcott vs Spurs sounds familiar ? Guess what ? Who had the last laugh ? I was ashemed to see people celebrating Theo's brace after giving the poor lad such a hard time . Arsenal fans :pal:

We just don't trust the hype anymore.

From the clips posted here, he looks useless. Doesn't track back or anything.

Alpha
02-03-2012, 11:24 AM
We just don't trust the hype anymore.

From the clips posted here, he looks useless. Doesn't track back or anything.
There is no hype here . Campbell is just a fantastic talent . He will need time for sure . but what he has shown so far is encouraging .
All leagues are the same . they give more support to their own young players than foreigners . Campblle get some playing time because of his talent and special ties between Wenger and Gourcuff ( Lorient manager ) . If he was French we could have seen more of him .

GP
02-03-2012, 11:25 AM
There is no hype here . Campbell is just a fantastic talent . He will need time for sure . but what he has shown so far is encouraging

That's exactly what hype is, dude.

When he starts performing for Arsenal, then we can get excited.

Alpha
02-03-2012, 11:26 AM
Is Campbell the new Ade?
Let him play first and see how many sitters he misses before we give him the Ade tag . :good:

Marc Overmars
02-03-2012, 12:32 PM
He's done nothing.

Scored a bog standard goal the other night that any striker should be expected to put away. I knew that would spawn a thread like this on here, it was exactly the same when Vela was on loan before he could play for us.

When I see Campbell in an Arsenal shirt scoring goals and performing, then I'll start to buy into the hype. Until then he's just a myth like so many Arsenal teenagers who have been and gone.

McNamara That Ghost...
02-03-2012, 12:34 PM
Which would be true if we didn't have Park and Chakma clogging the bench up, doing nothing. It's clear we'll have any pub teamer as part of our squad now.

Cripps_orig
02-03-2012, 12:56 PM
Just checked his stats for the French equivalent of Leyton Orient

3 goals in 19 games? :lol:

Sell him hes shit

Japan Shaking All Over
02-03-2012, 04:26 PM
Is Campbell the new Ade?

No. . .Alpha's thr new Joker

LDG
02-03-2012, 04:32 PM
Just checked his stats for the French equivalent of Leyton Orient

3 goals in 19 games? :lol:

Sell him hes shit

Better than Chackma tbf.

Cripps_orig
02-03-2012, 04:34 PM
Sell them both

Özim
02-03-2012, 08:44 PM
We sign some unknown kid who amounts to nothing, then Wenger tells us how he almost signed one of the world's best players but couldn't because of work permit problems or some other lame excuse.

Wenger almost put together the worlds best team.

McNamara That Ghost...
02-03-2012, 10:35 PM
We sign some unknown kid who amounts to nothing, then Wenger tells us how he almost signed one of the world's best players but couldn't because of work permit problems or some other lame excuse.

Wenger almost put together the worlds best team.

Well he did tbf. Then he sold them.

Joker
02-03-2012, 10:37 PM
Expect him to leave on a permanent deal at the end of next season having been shown to be shit in a Carling Cup game away to Charlton.

LDG
03-03-2012, 02:36 AM
Well he did tbf. Then he sold them.

:lol:

How dare you!!!!

Zimm doesn't credit Wenger for the good stuff.

Just you remember that :angry:

Power n Glory
03-03-2012, 09:28 AM
He's done nothing.

Scored a bog standard goal the other night that any striker should be expected to put away. I knew that would spawn a thread like this on here, it was exactly the same when Vela was on loan before he could play for us.

When I see Campbell in an Arsenal shirt scoring goals and performing, then I'll start to buy into the hype. Until then he's just a myth like so many Arsenal teenagers who have been and gone.

Had high hopes for Vela. We waited ages for that kid to arrive. A complete flop. Campbell looks decent as well but if Wenger decides to play the kid on the wing or doesn't give him games when he finally arrives, we could get a repeat of what we saw with Vela, Merida, Bendy....They get games on loan but can't get into the first team and grow frustrated or lose confidence.

We've already got Ryo out on loan and that Wellington kid from Brazil out on loan too. No point in getting excited about these guys. When they start getting games we'll see what happens like what happened with Coquelin, JW and Song. They're part of the few that manage to have a successful loan spell.

Alpha
03-03-2012, 10:15 AM
Had high hopes for Vela. We waited ages for that kid to arrive. A complete flop. Campbell looks decent as well but if Wenger decides to play the kid on the wing or doesn't give him games when he finally arrives, we could get a repeat of what we saw with Vela, Merida, Bendy....They get games on loan but can't get into the first team and grow frustrated or lose confidence.

We've already got Ryo out on loan and that Wellington kid from Brazil out on loan too. No point in getting excited about these guys. When they start getting games we'll see what happens like what happened with Coquelin, JW and Song. They're part of the few that manage to have a successful loan spell.
At least your post makes sense unlike those who bash new players without giving them any chance of showing us whether they can perform or flop . Any signing is a gamble . There is no garantee a new player , '' Marquee'' or not will succeed . Fernado Torres is very good example .

Alpha
03-03-2012, 10:18 AM
You can win the Oscar Award for the most negative Arsenal fan . Carry on mate .

Olivier's xmas twist
03-03-2012, 10:22 AM

:lol:

No way Alpha is too postive to be Joker tbf.

Olivier's xmas twist
03-03-2012, 10:23 AM

Yep agree every much on this, or will Wumger even play him at all.

Injury Time
16-06-2014, 08:28 AM
So is he the messiah?

Letters
16-06-2014, 08:37 AM
Apparently :shrug:

Injury Time
16-06-2014, 08:45 AM
It's official then "Letters declares the second coming!" :woohoo:

selassie
16-06-2014, 09:43 AM
Like a new signing.....:dance:

Alpha
16-06-2014, 10:45 AM

What were you smoking on that day mate ?

Niall_Quinn
16-06-2014, 11:03 AM
It's official then "Letters declares the second coming!" :woohoo:

Took his time, Letters must have given him a lift in his Swift.

I am invisible
22-06-2014, 12:46 PM
Mouron has picked Sanchez and Campbell as his two stand-out players of the WC so far - should we be more excited about Campbell than we currently are, or do we have it about right?

Xhaka Can’t
22-06-2014, 01:38 PM
It is a bit mixed on here about him tbh. I think someone even advocated trading him plus cash for Balotelli, which frankly I think is nuts (pun not intended). We are so light in the striker position that we can accommodate Campbell in our side - even with Giroud and hopefully a world class signing.

We really need depth rather than just running the same workhorses into the ground and Campbell can provide us with quality depth and should get plenty of game time given our involvement in Europe as well as the domestic competitions.

fakeyank
22-06-2014, 06:40 PM
It is a bit mixed on here about him tbh. I think someone even advocated trading him plus cash for Balotelli, which frankly I think is nuts (pun not intended). We are so light in the striker position that we can accommodate Campbell in our side - even with Giroud and hopefully a world class signing.

We really need depth rather than just running the same workhorses into the ground and Campbell can provide us with quality depth and should get plenty of game time given our involvement in Europe as well as the domestic competitions.

:gp:

Japan Shaking All Over
22-06-2014, 10:32 PM
What were you smoking on that day mate ?

You expect me to remember....?

Özim
23-06-2014, 07:59 AM
I think we shouldn't even consider letting Campbell go, from what I've seen of him he's a real livewire and has something about him, he's probably the 1st player we've loaned out who's gone out and looked like he could be the real deal.

If we sign a striker it needs to be as well as Campbell not instead of him.

Globalgunner
23-06-2014, 09:39 AM
If we get Balotelli & Remy, then we should bring Campbell back and loan him to a PL team like West Brom or Sunderland. Get him used to the PL for a season or 2. Definitely not one for sale. Sanogo........what can we do with him now. I have no idea but a loan spell is needed too. Maybe Olympiakos will take him in place of Kanye

GP
23-06-2014, 09:41 AM
You expect me to remember....?

No Mr. Bond I expect you to die.

Özim
23-06-2014, 09:46 AM
If we get Balotelli & Remy, then we should bring Campbell back and loan him to a PL team like West Brom or Sunderland. Get him used to the PL for a season or 2. Definitely not one for sale. Sanogo........what can we do with him now. I have no idea but a loan spell is needed too. Maybe Olympiakos will take him in place of Kanye

I'm not expecting anything from Sanogo, he's looked very average, personally would move him on and let someone else have his place.

KSE Comedy Club
06-07-2014, 04:10 PM
There seem to be more reports appearing about us sending him out on loan again next season but to a PL club.

Ffs I hope it's bullshit, we should be bringing him back and sending Sanogo on loan.

Niall_Quinn
06-07-2014, 04:13 PM
There seem to be more reports appearing about us sending him out on loan again next season but to a PL club.

Ffs I hope it's bullshit, we should be bringing him back and sending Sanogo on loan.

We could also try killing Sanogo, that way there would be a spare place in the squad.

Syn
06-07-2014, 04:29 PM
Can't imagine Joel getting a chance as a CF. Wenger has this obsession now of going with a big, target man for unselfish link up play, and Campbell doesn't fit that description at all. With who we're being linked to, Wenger seems to want a top class wide forward, which would leave us with Walcott, Podolski, Cazorla, Chamberlain + a new guy. With the way Wenger likes us to play I don't see Campbell being a good fit. That's a shame because I'd love to see how he'd get on in this league.

The Emirates Gallactico
06-07-2014, 05:35 PM
Don't think sending him out on loan again is necessarily a bad move. He's talented but there's more he needs to learn based on my observations of him at the WC. He doesn't get in the box enough and hasn't got that striker's instinct about him just yet. MS noted it yesterday in the match thread, but he also does a good play like a mazy run but then stops and admires his work instead of busting a gut to get onto the end of his move. I wouldn't mind seeing a Martinez, a Koeman or even Pulis work with him next season. As long as it's PL and not some pub team league in Eastern Europe ....... which should be achievable as he's made a name for himself at the WC and would have suitors.

What it does mean is that we need to get some cover for that position. We can't go into another season with Sanogo as the only out and out striker capable of filling in for Giroud.

Alpha
06-07-2014, 05:39 PM
Lets see first who we gonna buy and will worry about who will fit in later . We need a goalkeeper , a RB , a DM , a striker and probably a CB . Thats 5 top players to buy . We are near the middle of the transfer window and nothing is done yet apart from rumours . And Arsene ? still relaxing in Brazil . It is a nervous period to see how we would do it . Time is running out . We should have started earlier we been linked to all players from shit to world class but still nothing .
Campbell deserves his chance though . If we are giving chances to Giroud , Sanogo , Monreal ..etc. why not him ? He is a massive talent , intelligent , confident and improving every year . He will definitely add something to the team even from the bench . We would be stupid to ignore him and keep Sanogo and....Diaby .

AFC Leveller
06-07-2014, 05:41 PM
Apart from the Uruguay game, i dont think he has been anyting epscial. He plays in that hole and picks up posession in some clever positions but he is not lethal or ruthless and although he can see a pass in crowded areas, for me he is is a neat player, thats it.

He does have potential though and i hope we see him in the PL next season to see him first hand.

Injury Time
06-07-2014, 06:42 PM
Apart from the Uruguay game, i dont think he has been anyting epscial. He plays in that hole and picks up posession in some clever positions but he is not lethal or ruthless and although he can see a pass in crowded areas, for me he is is a neat player, thats it.

He does have potential though and i hope we see him in the PL next season to see him first hand.
Hatrick against us after Sonogo OG probably...

Fist of Lehmann
07-07-2014, 01:23 PM
Don't think sending him out on loan again is necessarily a bad move. He's talented but there's more he needs to learn based on my observations of him at the WC. He doesn't get in the box enough and hasn't got that striker's instinct about him just yet. MS noted it yesterday in the match thread, but he also does a good play like a mazy run but then stops and admires his work instead of busting a gut to get onto the end of his move. I wouldn't mind seeing a Martinez, a Koeman or even Pulis work with him next season. As long as it's PL and not some pub team league in Eastern Europe ....... which should be achievable as he's made a name for himself at the WC and would have suitors.

What it does mean is that we need to get some cover for that position. We can't go into another season with Sanogo as the only out and out striker capable of filling in for Giroud.

"West Ham, Everton, Southampton and Newcastle are all interested." say the Daily Fail, plucking sides randomly from their collective anus.

Those impressions you had of him are generally backed up by the stats. Only 5 shots in 5 games and a lower miles per minute rate than any of the final 8 starting strikers, (even Fred).

Too lazy for me, he doesn't do enough to involve himself in the play, and he'd need to improve on that count drastically to be of any use to us.

It would be interesting to see how he would fair Premiership-wise where he'd see more of the ball and be up against more limited but more physical defenders. World Cup finals are hardly typical conditions on which to judge him, but it's a bad day when some guy who hasn't scored in 3 years comes on and looks a better forward than you.

Kano
07-07-2014, 02:32 PM
That Urena guy did score against Uruguay, so it's 3 matches rather than 3 years.

Point still stands though, Campbell ain't much use to us at the moment.

Fist of Lehmann
07-07-2014, 02:54 PM
That Urena guy did score against Uruguay, so it's 3 matches rather than 3 years.

Point still stands though, Campbell ain't much use to us at the moment.

Yes sorry, 1 goal in 3 years. Joel Campbell suddenly feels a whole lot better about himself.

Blink 1nce Quince 2wice
07-07-2014, 03:00 PM
and to think Sanogo is even less special.

Marc Overmars
07-07-2014, 03:30 PM
A loan move to a Premier League club would be ideal but I'm not convinced his future is with us long term. We don't need to put as much stock into developing players like him anymore, we could easily sell him for a guaranteed profit and use our increased disposable income to buy proven quality.

We have a big list of highly rated young players who never quite made the grade, for one reason or another.

I am invisible
07-07-2014, 04:30 PM
How long does Campbell have left on his contract now?

The Emirates Gallactico
07-07-2014, 05:13 PM
How long does Campbell have left on his contract now?

I read that it runs out in 2016 so two years.

Blink 1nce Quince 2wice
07-07-2014, 06:58 PM
Surely people will say 'he never had a proper go' or 'never had a chance' if we just sell him.....Lord knows enough people say it about Vela which I tend to think is a little misguided, but he got much more time than Campbell has, or hasn't!

Marc Overmars
07-07-2014, 08:14 PM
Surely people will say 'he never had a proper go' or 'never had a chance' if we just sell him.....Lord knows enough people say it about Vela which I tend to think is a little misguided, but he got much more time than Campbell has, or hasn't!

I think that reaction depends on how adequate the alternatives are tbh.