PDA

View Full Version : Make Bradford British

Letters
01-03-2012, 09:17 PM
Anyone watching this? Quite interesting.
Raises the question about what it means to be British.

What does it mean these days?

(tell you what it doesn't mean, it doesn't mean passing that stupid citizenship test which pretty much no-one, British or no, would pass without revising).

LDG
01-03-2012, 09:18 PM
Don't care. I'm English.

Xhaka Can’t
01-03-2012, 09:34 PM
Don't care. I'm English.

I knew there was something I didn't like about you.

Letters
01-03-2012, 09:40 PM
BBC article about it here

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leeds-17211995

Xhaka Can’t
01-03-2012, 09:48 PM
BBC article about it here

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leeds-17211995

About why I don't like LDG?

Syn
01-03-2012, 10:17 PM
Anyone watching this? Quite interesting.
Raises the question about what it means to be British.

What does it mean these days?

(tell you what it doesn't mean, it doesn't mean passing that stupid citizenship test which pretty much no-one, British or no, would pass without revising).

Much like the ghel, 'British' is not a nationality. It is a philosophy. A way of life. Many parts of Britain are becoming increasingly unBritish.

Courtesy. Sunday roast. No suppression of wimin. Religious by name only, but realistically secular. Moaning about the weather. Ford Mondeo.

The Midlands are keeping Britishness alive.

edit: Just watching it on C4(+1hr). Rashid is a fucking idiot. A lot of these guys don't know why they're doing what they're doing, but they just have to do it.

edit2: Can't watch any more. That was utter shit. And staged.

Marc Overmars
01-03-2012, 11:17 PM
Being British is about getting shitfaced and starting fights outside KFC at 4am. :cloud9:

Xhaka Can’t
01-03-2012, 11:25 PM
I wish the KFC near me was open at 4am.

Xhaka Can’t
01-03-2012, 11:26 PM
I also wish that the KFC near to me was nearer to me.

Cripps_orig
01-03-2012, 11:33 PM
I had KFC yesterday

KFC :bow:

I wasnt shitfaced though

Nor was it at 4am

Xhaka Can’t
01-03-2012, 11:42 PM
Just starting fights?

Master Splinter
01-03-2012, 11:51 PM
It seemed like Come Spaz With Me featuring people with different colour faces and 'beliefs' with some nebulous point trying to be made of a city which is probably no different to the majority of cities in England. The fact that Channel 4 is trying to make some sort of social comment through the means of a vulgar, exploitative, manipulatively-moulded reality show tells you everything you need to know.

Don't miss next week's installment.

Letters
02-03-2012, 07:22 AM
I wasnt shitfaced though

But you are shit faced.

:cool:

Flavs
02-03-2012, 08:29 AM

:gp:

Flavs
02-03-2012, 08:32 AM
Courtesy. Sunday roast. No suppression of wimin. Religious by name only, but realistically secular. Moaning about the weather. Ford Mondeo..

:lol:

Bradford is the only place in the world i have ever been racially abused (No not about being French/Scottish i can get that shit anywhere)

Coney
02-03-2012, 09:09 AM
Much like the ghel, 'British' is not a nationality. It is a philosophy. A way of life. Many parts of Britain are becoming increasingly unBritish.

Courtesy. Sunday roast. No suppression of wimin. Religious by name only, but realistically secular. Moaning about the weather. Ford Mondeo.

Looks like I'm not British then - only got 2 of them. Don't do Sunday roast, moan about the weather - and as for Ford Mondeo, that is serious loser territory.

LDG
02-03-2012, 09:30 AM

My face :pal:

PGFC
02-03-2012, 11:03 AM
Watched a bit. laughed at the editing, then did the British thing and turned over to a better program, Those who kill, awesome

GP
02-03-2012, 11:05 AM
I'm going on a march, cos I want britain to be back british.

LDG
02-03-2012, 11:06 AM

Form an orderly queue.

Letters
02-03-2012, 11:12 AM

We're here. We're queer. We don't want any more bears.

Marc Overmars
02-03-2012, 12:33 PM

Agreed. We need to get rid of the Muslamic infidel.

Joker
02-03-2012, 12:49 PM
Britishness means different things to different people, and we should just accept that. Of course you need to have common points of reference to produce a cohesive, united society and to prevent segregation, but that doesn't mean we should "impose" values upon any group or community. For example, David Cameron's idea about trying to promote faith is not an idea that will solve anything IMO. In fact, I can see the increase in faith schools only promoting segregation, as Hindu, Sikh, Muslim faith schools develop alongside C of E and Catholic ones, each catering to students from their own community. This could be extremely divisive and dangerous.

Flavs
02-03-2012, 12:58 PM
Muslims :lol:

Awful people

GP
02-03-2012, 01:09 PM
Muslims :lol:

Awful people

People? :lol:

That's generous.

Flavs
02-03-2012, 01:11 PM
In my experience Muslims are just a shit version of Sikhs

Coney
02-03-2012, 01:18 PM
Britishness means different things to different people, and we should just accept that. Of course you need to have common points of reference to produce a cohesive, united society and to prevent segregation, but that doesn't mean we should "impose" values upon any group or community. For example, David Cameron's idea about trying to promote faith is not an idea that will solve anything IMO. In fact, I can see the increase in faith schools only promoting segregation, as Hindu, Sikh, Muslim faith schools develop alongside C of E and Catholic ones, each catering to students from their own community. This could be extremely divisive and dangerous.

Dead right. There should be NO faith schools and the Mon-Fri education should be secular. If parents want to put their kids into their faith school/shule/etc outside normal school times, that's up to them. But basic education should be common across the board. How would Cameron and the like feel about a Druid school, or Voodoo, Grecco-Roman gods, Isis, et al? He'd probably consider that inappropriate.

That's not to say that school should not educate children about religions, but the idea of even dedicating lessons each week to Religious Education I find ridiculous. You might cover it as part of general education along with other stuff but it should not be an entire subject, otherwise by the same reasoning, you should have lessons in Astrology, tea leaf reading, palmistry and other such material.

Cripps_orig
02-03-2012, 01:19 PM
Dead right. There should be NO faith schools and the Mon-Fri education should be secular. If parents want to put their kids into their faith school/shule/etc outside normal school times, that's up to them. But basic education should be common across the board. How would Cameron and the like feel about a Druid school, or Voodoo, Grecco-Roman gods, Isis, et al? He'd probably consider that inappropriate.

That's not to say that school should not educate children about religions, but the idea of even dedicating lessons each week to Religious Education I find ridiculous. You might cover it as part of general education along with other stuff but it should not be an entire subject, otherwise by the same reasoning, you should have lessons in Astrology, tea leaf reading, palmistry and other such material.They do at Hogwarts tbh

Coney
02-03-2012, 01:29 PM
They do at Hogwarts tbh

Exactly, and who wants that crap? ;)

Letters
02-03-2012, 01:37 PM

That's not to say that school should not educate children about religions, but the idea of even dedicating lessons each week to Religious Education I find ridiculous. You might cover it as part of general education along with other stuff but it should not be an entire subject, otherwise by the same reasoning, you should have lessons in Astrology, tea leaf reading, palmistry and other such material.

That is such a shit post it gave me cancer.

Xhaka Can’t
02-03-2012, 02:08 PM
I prayed for you so you ought to be cured by now.

Harry
05-03-2012, 01:26 PM
In my experience Muslims are just a shit version of Sikhs

Care to explain?

PGFC
05-03-2012, 02:26 PM
:popcorn: yeah, come on Flavs...

Flavs
05-03-2012, 02:44 PM
Care to explain?

Yeah why not

In my experience Sikhs tend to be well mannered, balanced, house proud and driven people who succeed in life and are an honour to their religion, chosen nations, forefathers and children.

Muslims tend to be like Ach

:good:

Harry
05-03-2012, 04:05 PM
Yeah why not

In my experience Sikhs tend to be well mannered, balanced, house proud and driven people who succeed in life and are an honour to their religion, chosen nations, forefathers and children.

Muslims tend to be like Ach

:good:

Good stuff.

Niall_Quinn
05-03-2012, 04:23 PM

Couldn't disagree more.

Society would benefit massively if it could get over the stupid idea of sameness and the desire to appeal to the lowest denominator. In my opinion there should be schools for intelligent kids and day care centres for thick kids. Right now the only thing saving us from day care centres for all is faith schools, what's left of the grammar system and those schools that refuse to accept the dire standards of the state and take it upon themselves to go the extra mile.

When we finally stop confusing equality with homogenisation maybe society can move on. For now our progress is a measure of the blandness forced on everyone.

As for Bradford, what a fucking dump. I pity anyone who has to live their, regardless of their skin colour or religion. As towns go, only Luton is a bigger pit. I would think the primary concern of anyone who finds themselves in one of these towns would be to move.

And I guess the key attribute of being British is an eagerness to be led by the nose. I can't think of a more compliant culture. We don't even whimper any more, let alone roar.

Niall_Quinn
05-03-2012, 04:24 PM
Britishness means different things to different people, and we should just accept that.

The other option is to avoid caring it about it in any way, shape or form.

Coney
05-03-2012, 05:58 PM
The other option is to avoid caring it about it in any way, shape or form.

A sort of careless society then? ;)

Joker
05-03-2012, 06:01 PM
Couldn't disagree more.

Society would benefit massively if it could get over the stupid idea of sameness and the desire to appeal to the lowest denominator. In my opinion there should be schools for intelligent kids and day care centres for thick kids. Right now the only thing saving us from day care centres for all is faith schools, what's left of the grammar system and those schools that refuse to accept the dire standards of the state and take it upon themselves to go the extra mile.

When we finally stop confusing equality with homogenisation maybe society can move on. For now our progress is a measure of the blandness forced on everyone.

As for Bradford, what a fucking dump. I pity anyone who has to live their, regardless of their skin colour or religion. As towns go, only Luton is a bigger pit. I would think the primary concern of anyone who finds themselves in one of these towns would be to move.

And I guess the key attribute of being British is an eagerness to be led by the nose. I can't think of a more compliant culture. We don't even whimper any more, let alone roar.

The problem with the selective education is that, at age 11, it is extremely difficult to discern pure talent, and therefore you end up with a situation whereby students who are academically gifted but are perhaps late developers are consigned to secondary moderns and a second rate education. From a purely ethical viewpoint, this system is questionable but even from an efficiency point of view it also creates a lot of waste of talent.

Sure, you'll have some degree of selection for post 16 education and definitely for University study, but from 11-16 I don't think it's fair or wise to bring back academic selection. It hasn't led to homogenisation, because it is entirely possible to cater for different students' needs within a comprehensive system. The problem is, we don't have truly comprehensive schools. The intake of comprehensives in many areas are similar to what the intake was for secondary moderns, because middle class parents simply send their children to private schools or selective schools in surrounding boroughs. This leads to segregation, and you have underachieving schools.

In any case, the government is now trying to "free" up schools by expanding academies and free schools, which will lead to even more segregation and a social divisions, where your success at school will be determined even more strongly by where you live and your parent's income.

Niall_Quinn
05-03-2012, 08:12 PM
I'm sorry but we'll never agree. You accept the state as tolerable, I could never do that. Obviously I could therefore never condone a state education system. Education is another aspect of life the state has absolutely no business being involved in. In fact I can't think of a single endeavour in which the state is engaged that it hasn't fucked up beyond all limits of sanity. Can you?

Shaqiri Is Boss
05-03-2012, 08:13 PM
I'm still not entirely convinced Joker and NQ are different people.

:unsure:

Coney
05-03-2012, 08:25 PM
I'm sorry but we'll never agree. You accept the state as tolerable, I could never do that. Obviously I could therefore never condone a state education system. Education is another aspect of life the state has absolutely no business being involved in. In fact I can't think of a single endeavour in which the state is engaged that it hasn't fucked up beyond all limits of sanity. Can you?

Until the state took over education, it was hit and miss and broadly, only rich people's children were educated. It is not a perfect system and many things could be improved, but fundamentally it is a very good thing. The idea of letting it be a free-for-all again with the majority of kids not getting a fair chance is not something I'd like.

Nozza!
05-03-2012, 08:36 PM
Oi, mush, but that's only because you want to make sure the minimum wage lackeys in your care home know the difference between oral and anal when they've been given written instructions to take your temperature...

Coney
05-03-2012, 08:59 PM
Oi, mush, but that's only because you want to make sure the minimum wage lackeys in your care home know the difference between oral and anal when they've been given written instructions to take your temperature...

:haha:

Hi Nozza - where have you been! Great to see you posting again. :good:

Niall_Quinn
05-03-2012, 08:59 PM
Until the state took over education, it was hit and miss and broadly, only rich people's children were educated. It is not a perfect system and many things could be improved, but fundamentally it is a very good thing. The idea of letting it be a free-for-all again with the majority of kids not getting a fair chance is not something I'd like.

Why do we always have to be at the mercy of either the state or the private sector? Isn't it because people are so willing to abdicate their personal responsibility that we are forever caught between a bunch of ****s on either side. FFS, why can' a community get together and organise a damn school for its kids? We just don't even think this way any more, do we? We either have to have billions spent on making everyone equally thick or else hand over our wallets to some fucker who's prepared to do the job we won't. Yeah sure, if we as citizens are prepared to do fuck all then better let nanny take care of it.

Niall_Quinn
05-03-2012, 09:00 PM
I'm still not entirely convinced Joker and NQ are different people.

:unsure:

We aren't. Who was trying to convince you otherwise?

Coney
05-03-2012, 09:02 PM
Why do we always have to be at the mercy of either the state or the private sector? Isn't it because people are so willing to abdicate their personal responsibility that we are forever caught between a bunch of ****s on either side. FFS, why can' a community get together and organise a damn school for its kids? We just don't even think this way any more, do we?

'We' - the general public - never did.

We either have to have billions spent on making everyone equally thick or else hand over our wallets to some fucker who's prepared to do the job we won't. Yeah sure, if we as citizens are prepared to do fuck all then better let nanny take care of it.

Which is what happens. You can stand by and watch the others standing by and watching, or you can try and do something about it.

Coney
05-03-2012, 09:03 PM
We aren't. Who was trying to convince you otherwise?

Don't worry - he's still in shock from the weekend.

Shaqiri Is Boss
05-03-2012, 09:03 PM
Don't worry - he's still in shock from the weekend.
Shock?

It was the most predictable game of the season.

Niall_Quinn
05-03-2012, 10:40 PM
'We' - the general public - never did.

Which is what happens. You can stand by and watch the others standing by and watching, or you can try and do something about it.

Are you suggesting I try to change it from within? You're not that naive by any measure.

No, I'm constantly working towards placing as much distance between myself and the state and it's sheople. This is the right thing to do because the sheople actually want the state and who am I to say they can't have it? And yet they demand I be governed by it too. This is why I see them as "good Germans". They will only be changed by violent upheaval, in fact this is their entire history. I can't see the point of that, too much like running around a wheel. It's never done properly anyway, the wrong people always end up dead. So I'll stick to assuming (not asking for) my God given rights, ignore my states rights because they are imaginary, mind my own business and retaliate with all the force I can muster against those that knowingly harm me, rather than just harm me out of sheer ignorance. I've thought about it and this is the only philosophy I can imagine that approaches liberty and is practical in a herding species.

Thierrymon
06-03-2012, 08:52 AM
Being British is about getting shitfaced and starting fights outside KFC at 4am. :cloud9:

Sounds just like being aussie tbh.

GP
06-03-2012, 09:13 AM
Sounds just like being aussie tbh.

Same thing.