PDA

View Full Version : the worst wenger side ever could be the best since 2006?

Ollie the Optimist
07-03-2012, 07:21 PM
if we get third, and its now not that big an if, we really could get it if we perform like we have in the last three games, does this mean that htis years worst side could actually be wengers best side since 2006. there is something this season that i love about this team, the fight and desire they have shown, the spirit is great, i firmly believe if we keep this team as it is and get some good quality players in it could be a special team.

my point though is more, if we get third will this team be the best since 2006 instead of the worst. yes we dont have the worlds greatest players in it like last seasons but we have something more, we have players who care, this isnt just a job, its their club, a club they love. its great to see that at last

Dennis Bendtner
07-03-2012, 07:23 PM
07-08.

Coney
07-03-2012, 07:36 PM
if we get third, and its now not that big an if, we really could get it if we perform like we have in the last three games, does this mean that htis years worst side could actually be wengers best side since 2006. there is something this season that i love about this team, the fight and desire they have shown, the spirit is great, i firmly believe if we keep this team as it is and get some good quality players in it could be a special team.

my point though is more, if we get third will this team be the best since 2006 instead of the worst. yes we dont have the worlds greatest players in it like last seasons but we have something more, we have players who care, this isnt just a job, its their club, a club they love. its great to see that at last

Well certainly the team has more backbone than the last couple of years. A couple more players and we could be challenging for the title. If we can push to get 3rd, then there will be something to enjoy, seeing chavs drop below and watching spuds - who thought it was their big year to get above us and get in the CL while we failed - watching them whine as we are above and, who knows, them dropping out of the CL (and even Europa) places. Oh please let it happen.

Marc Overmars
07-03-2012, 07:38 PM
The best team we've had in recent memory is 07-08, they got 83 points and only lost 3 games all season (Only 1 until the end of March). They collapsed, as Arsenal do of course, but the quality and consistency of that team is much better than the current crop.

If we get 3rd and finish 15+ points behind the champions, that is not progress, it is an indication of how weak the competition has been around us this year. Notably the worst Chelsea team in years and a stagnant Liverpool.

Coney
07-03-2012, 07:44 PM
The best team we've had in recent memory is 07-08, they got 83 points and only lost 3 games all season (Only 1 until the end of March). They collapsed, as Arsenal do of course, but the quality and consistency of that team is much better than the current crop.

If we get 3rd and finish 15+ points behind the champions, that is not progress, it is an indication of how weak the competition has been around us this year. Notably the worst Chelsea team in years and a stagnant Liverpool.

I'm not convinced. I think that the other teams in the league who used to lie down and die for the top clubs now get up and in the faces of the top teams. Although manu are above and challenging, they have had plenty of games where they have only just scraped it because of how the lower teams have been playing. Comparing points from year to year is not a valid comparison - you have to look at how the other clubs performed that year in terms of effort. The only thing you can look at is relative position. 3rd is better than 4th even if you get fewer points.

latewinner
07-03-2012, 07:48 PM
The 2007/2008 was clearly our best side since then. I loved that team it actually did have real bottle, this team doesn't really, It's a race for fourth not first, they have had so many embarrassments and have less pressure catching up to fourth and have been aided by the worst Chelsea side in years. I know the first half yesterday was amazing but the second half summed the team up
the 2007/2008 scored a ton of last minute goals and I honestly believe if we had got past liverpool like we should have (walcott's equalizer was an amazing show of spirit) we could have beaten both chelsea and united. We were riding a wave of believe that season. Wenger nearly got it so right

Marc Overmars
07-03-2012, 07:49 PM
I'm not convinced. I think that the other teams in the league who used to lie down and die for the top clubs now get up and in the faces of the top teams. Although manu are above and challenging, they have had plenty of games where they have only just scraped it because of how the lower teams have been playing. Comparing points from year to year is not a valid comparison - you have to look at how the other clubs performed that year in terms of effort. The only thing you can look at is relative position. 3rd is better than 4th even if you get fewer points.

I always like to look at how far we are from 1st, or if applicable as it is this year 2nd as well. To me that is the measuring stick we need to live by if we want to one day move up to that level.

3rd would good this year, mainly because we would have finished above Spurs - but in reality being 15 odd points behind where we want to be cannot be looked upon as significant progress. This is the same stagnant level we play at every year, only difference this year is that Chelsea are slumming it with us and Spurs have over-achieved.

Marc Overmars
07-03-2012, 07:53 PM
One thing I would say though, is that there are certain characters and individuals in this team that are worth sticking with and believing in. Which is something you couldn't say for past teams.

Syn
07-03-2012, 07:54 PM
It might well be the worst squad under Wenger. But football isn't played on paper and getting 3rd - if we get it - would be a good indicator that we've played greater than the sum of our parts. Or that we've got a goalscoring god up front who is playing at a level that has not been matched in England.

latewinner
07-03-2012, 07:58 PM

We were competing with a very strong Chelsea, a stronger Liverpool and the best Man United team of the decade who 'only' got 87 points and I argue the teams below were stronger then and the bottom teams are horrible this year.
If we had won the league that year it would have been a better accomplishment than the invincibles imo

Olivier's xmas twist
07-03-2012, 08:26 PM

No but it would be the best Achievement since 2006 though tbh.

Has to be 07/08

Xhaka Can’t
07-03-2012, 08:29 PM
This is by far the greatest team the world has ever seen.

Cripps_orig
07-03-2012, 08:31 PM
07-08.Pretty much
/thread

selassie
07-03-2012, 08:38 PM
This team is nowhere near as good as the 07/08 team. IMHO, if we would have kept that team together, I've no doubt we would have gone on to win Major trophies, defo PL.

This team is very much a work in progress, it's most certainly 2 or 3 very good/world class players away from being a real challenger and until this is addressed we will be forever fighting for top 4.

Letters
07-03-2012, 09:48 PM
For what it's worth, right now we have:

W15 D4 L8 F55 A38 Pts 49

In 2005/6 at this stage we had:

W12 D5 L10 F39 A22 Pts 41

We had 46 points at this stage in 2008/9.

Cripps_orig
07-03-2012, 09:52 PM
05/06 we were still in the CL at this point having just beaten Real Madrid

In 08/09 we were in both CL and FA Cups

We might be having a better league season than in those other 2 but overall its a worse side

Letters
07-03-2012, 09:55 PM
I'm not sure how relevant these comparisons are anyway. Before the last couple of weeks I'd have said this was the worst side I'd seen under Wenger. Now I just don't know. 3 great wins later and we look like a pretty decent side again.
This year has been such a roller coaster I honestly don't know how we'll finish but we have some momentum right now so let's see.

Marc Overmars
07-03-2012, 10:43 PM
I'm not sure how relevant these comparisons are anyway. Before the last couple of weeks I'd have said this was the worst side I'd seen under Wenger. Now I just don't know. 3 great wins later and we look like a pretty decent side again.
This year has been such a roller coaster I honestly don't know how we'll finish but we have some momentum right now so let's see.

We always pull some notable wins out the bag though, we're just horribly inconsistent at when we choose to pull them out. We're obviously a very capable side, but it's just maddening we haven't managed to pick up a trophy in this time, mainly the CC and FA Cup, surely we're good enough to challenge for those considering the teams who have won it and reached the latter stages in recent years. 4th place cannot be extent of our season every single year, we're better than that, we have to be.

McNamara That Ghost...
07-03-2012, 11:06 PM
I'm more confident in our ability to hold on to two goal leads or more with this team than previous others (and that has cost us dearly). It's just, we're not competitive when it really matters - that's the common thread.

She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
07-03-2012, 11:20 PM
:lol:

and it starts. the merry-go-round is back in full flow.

i guess this is exactly the outcome the board wanted to hook you all back in.

a terrible season with a couple of great results and some of you already talking about how we could be great again. this is perfect for the board; they can continue underfunding the team knowing you're all going to be hooked for another 3 or 4 years hoping this team is going to turn out well.

read somewhere on the forum some people saying 'we have a great core of players we can build on' :lol:

how many times have we said that over the years only to be left disappointed?

this is exactly what the board wanted, now they have an excuse not to spend because the 'team showed tremendous fight and spirit', we dont need players because 'we already have them and we dont want to kill the core youngsters we have'.

open your eyes.

Letters
07-03-2012, 11:23 PM
a terrible season with a couple of great results and some of you already talking about how we could be great again.

A couple? I can name 4 off the top of my head (the last 3 and Chelsea away). And that's without thinking.
I don't think we're suddenly a great side but we're not looking like a bad one either.
We're 4th. Pretty much no-one on here expected that early season. I've seen people on here say all season we'd end up in mid-table. And no-one on here has said we don't need to spend. Clearly we do. But we don't need 10 new players, we have a pretty decent side but not enough squad depth and we need reinforcements.

Olivier's xmas twist
07-03-2012, 11:26 PM
A couple? I can name 4 off the top of my head (the last 3 and Chelsea away). And that's without thinking.
I don't think we're suddenly a great side but we're not looking like a bad one either.
We're 4th. Pretty much no-one on here expected that early season. I've seen people on here say all season we'd end up in mid-table. And no-one on here has said we don't need to spend. Clearly we do. But we don't need 10 new players, we have a pretty decent side but not enough squad depth and we need reinforcements.

:gp:

Cripps_orig
07-03-2012, 11:27 PM

a terrible season with a couple of great results and some of you already talking about how we could be great again. this is perfect for the board; they can continue underfunding the team knowing you're all going to be hooked for another 3 or 4 years hoping this team is going to turn out well.

read somewhere on the forum some people saying 'we have a great core of players we can build on' :lol:

this is exactly what the board wanted, now they have an excuse not to spend because the 'team showed tremendous fight and spirit', we dont need players because 'we already have them and we dont want to kill the core youngsters we have'.

open your eyes.Best post on here

Letters
07-03-2012, 11:28 PM
Oh good, a fellow WUM I can WUM with

Hmm.

She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
07-03-2012, 11:29 PM

you can think of 4 off the top of your head.

thats a couple.

which proves my point.

and well done for removing me from the match thread yesterday, i was called a **** in big fuck off font, add on top of that i never swore once at someone directly, yet i was the one removed. it seems you've deleted the posts too :lol:

excellent 'moderator' :lol:

Letters
07-03-2012, 11:30 PM
you can think of 4 off the top of your head.

thats a couple.

Yeah, I don't think I can be bothered readying any more than that.

:doh:

Olivier's xmas twist
07-03-2012, 11:30 PM
Hmm.

Letters
07-03-2012, 11:31 PM
and well done for removing me from the match thread yesterday

Ah, OK. I did read on.
I didn't. I went to the game so didn't see the match thread. And I didn't delete any posts yesterday or today.

:good:

She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
07-03-2012, 11:32 PM
how many games have we played this season? 35ish?

and you can think of 4.

whats your definition of a couple then? 15? 20?

proves my point.

and excellent way to completely bottle the rest of my post.

big man :haha:

edit: well if it wasnt you direct the 2nd half of the post to whoever did it.

Cripps_orig
07-03-2012, 11:33 PM
Hmm.Is it WUMming to say we've had a shocking season when we have?

I know you seem to think that a few wins here and there makes for a great season. People like myself and SWAYR actually tend to look at the whole season though

Letters
07-03-2012, 11:33 PM

A couple means 2.
That isn't my definition. That's the definition.

Letters
07-03-2012, 11:34 PM
I know you seem to think that a few wins here and there makes for a great season.

Can you quote the post where I said that?

Olivier's xmas twist
07-03-2012, 11:35 PM
how many games have we played this season? 35ish?

and you can think of 4.

proves my point.

and excellent way to completely bottle the rest of my post.

big man :haha:

edit: well to direct the 2nd half of the post to whoever did it.

So being proud of the team means were being hypotised by the board and believing their hype, if you beileve that then more fool you.

Has anybody come out and said nout should change or because of the last few results wenger should stay or the board or believe in what they are doing? no.

All people are saying with a few signings the team could be up challenging again thats all no one is getting carried away and no one is being hooked in by the board. unless you know everyones mind.

Cripps_orig
07-03-2012, 11:36 PM
A few wins here and there makes for a great seasonThere

She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
07-03-2012, 11:37 PM
A couple means 2.
That isn't my definition. That's the definition.

well i tend to sway from the universal definition. personally i dont think highlighting 2 games out of 30+ is good enough prove this squad is capable.

if you gave me 15 examples then thats a different story and id agree.

but 2, 3 or 4 :lol:

Letters
07-03-2012, 11:38 PM
@Cripps :lol:

Nice work, I suppose <_<

This has been a car crash of a season but there have been some great moments in it and if we keep playing like we have at times in the last few games then we'll finish 4th. If so then it won't have been the disaster we all feared. But clearly we need some reinforcements, RvP needs someone to help him out up front. Not sure about the defence which has looked better at times this year. With Wilshere back in midfield and maybe a signing there too this could be a pretty decent side.

Cripps_orig
07-03-2012, 11:39 PM
So being proud of the team means were being hypotised by the board and believing their hype, if you beileve that then more fool you.

Has anybody come out and said nout should change or because of the last few results wenger should stay or the board or believe in what they are doing? no.

All people are saying with a few signings the team could be up challenging again thats all no one is getting carried away and no one is being hooked in by the board. unless you know everyones mind.And all SWAYR is saying that this has been said every season for the past 6 seasons yet nothing changes and people dont seem to think to clock on.

SWAYR has opened his eyes to the situation regardless of how we play and who we beat in one off games.

Time others did

She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
07-03-2012, 11:39 PM

All people are saying with a few signings the team could be up challenging again thats all no one is getting carried away and no one is being hooked in by the board. unless you know everyones mind.

when did i say we cant be proud of the team? in fact theres been many times ive been proud in defeat this season. but not last night.

not being able to score a 2nd half goal against a shit milan? proud? :lol:

maybe if we hadnt fucked it up in the 1st leg i would have been proud.

Olivier's xmas twist
07-03-2012, 11:42 PM
when did i say we cant be proud of the team? in fact theres been many times ive been proud in defeat this season. but not last night.

Scoring in the 2nd half makes no difference if they put their chances away we still go out, end off the day the lads gave a good effort and i was proud of them for that.

As for not going through that a different matter over all and a different discussion.

Cripps_orig
07-03-2012, 11:43 PM
@Cripps :lol:

Nice work, I suppose <_<

This has been a car crash of a season but there have been some great moments in it and if we keep playing like we have at times in the last few games then we'll finish 4th. If so then it won't have been the disaster we all feared. But clearly we need some reinforcements, RvP needs someone to help him out up front. Not sure about the defence which has looked better at times this year. With Wilshere back in midfield and maybe a signing there too this could be a pretty decent side.But thats just it. Its been said time and time again. No doubt we'll sign someone. The someone wont be anyone of the sufficient quality needed though but cos we have bought this someone, we wont buy anyone else. Add that to the fact RVP is off this summer, its not looking good

Letters
07-03-2012, 11:43 PM
well i tend to sway from the universal definition.

Clearly.

personally i dont think highlighting 2 games out of 30+ is good enough prove this squad is capable.

I didn't. And I'm not sure what you mean by 'capable'? Capable of what? After 27 games we're 4th. That shows we're not that bad a side. It actually shows that till now we've been the 4th best side around. We have been carried this year by RvP to an alarming degree but there have been some signs (from mid-October to mid-December when we won 7 and drew 1 from 8 league games and more recently where we've won the last 4 in a row and last night's game where we were fantastic) that we're not such an awful side. Not title contenders, clearly, but not the mid-table side I feared at times we'd become.

No-one on here has said that everything is fantastic and we don't need to spend to improve the squad.
Have you seen anyone say that? I haven't.

She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
07-03-2012, 11:44 PM
Scoring in the 2nd half makes no difference if they put their chances away we still go out, end off the day the lads gave a good effort and i was proud of them for that.

As for not going through that a different matter over all and a different discussion.

well im different to you.

our mental thought processes clearly differ; whilst you find content and comfort in the fact we only lost 4-3, i see it as quite bad. i look at the bigger picture; getting thumped 4-0 at the san siro, a shit bench last night, players getting injured kicking thin air.

time and time again, same fucking problems.

but it seems you're content with all that because 'we scored 3 and showed great spirit'.

to me it isnt good enough.

looks like wengers words have rubbed off on you.

Letters
07-03-2012, 11:48 PM

Then you're an idiot, frankly.

Is this the shit Milan who are the Italian champions and currently top of the Italian league?

That's not really relevant. The first leg was awful and we had very little chance of qualifying. They could have laid down and given up but they fought for it and gave themselves a chance when pretty much no-one thought we had one. This team who a lot of us, me included, have been so criticising this season fought hard last night and beat the Italian champions 3-0. It wasn't enough but the result, performance and effort on the night were fantastic. Pretty much no-one thought we could win 4-0 and now you're moaning because we didn't?

Olivier's xmas twist
07-03-2012, 11:49 PM
And all SWAYR is saying that this has been said every season for the past 6 seasons yet nothing changes and people dont seem to think to clock on.

SWAYR has opened his eyes to the situation regardless of how we play and who we beat in one off games.

Time others did

I can't talk for others but me i don't care about what happend in past seasons its hear and now and what happens between now and summer will be crucial for our club. I believe we do have a core for team which is good to see but quality needs to be added an no excuses need to be made be it Wenger or the board.

However yesterday even though we lost i was suppored the lads because i was proud of the effort, not the defeat on aggreate but the effort and i could not fault them for it.

I get what SWAYR is saying

Letters
07-03-2012, 11:50 PM
But thats just it. Its been said time and time again. No doubt we'll sign someone. The someone wont be anyone of the sufficient quality needed though but cos we have bought this someone, we wont buy anyone else. Add that to the fact RVP is off this summer, its not looking good

Well, you may be right. But that's for the future. I'm just happy with how we're playing right now. If we don't do what we need to in the summer and we lose RvP then this little rally will have been for nought but there's no point worrying about that now. If we keep playing like we have recently then I'll enjoy the end of this season and worry about next season when it gets here.

Olivier's xmas twist
07-03-2012, 11:50 PM
well im different to you.

our mental thought processes clearly differ; whilst you find content and comfort in the fact we only lost 4-3, i see it as quite bad. i look at the bigger picture; getting thumped 4-0 at the san siro, a shit bench last night, players getting injured kicking thin air.

time and time again, same fucking problems.

but it seems you're content with all that because 'we scored 3 and showed great spirit'.

to me it isnt good enough.

looks like wengers words have rubbed off on you.

Never said that but good on you for making yourself look good.

If you actually read what i said, you no i said i was proud of the effort from the lads, because really they could have said feck this shit lets not even go for it after all mot the fans have given up and the media lets just win 1-0.

They never. They tried but failed. The damage was done in Italy and nothing was going to change that.

The reason we lost yeah was down to AW for not buying quality in the summer but like i said its a different topic for a different thread.

She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
07-03-2012, 11:51 PM
Clearly.

I didn't. And I'm not sure what you mean by 'capable'? Capable of what? After 27 games we're 4th. That shows we're not that bad a side. It actually shows that till now we've been the 4th best side around. We have been carried this year by RvP to an alarming degree but there have been some signs (from mid-October to mid-December when we won 7 and drew 1 from 8 league games and more recently where we've won the last 4 in a row and last night's game where we were fantastic) that we're not such an awful side. Not title contenders, clearly, but not the mid-table side I feared at times we'd become.

No-one on here has said that everything is fantastic and we don't need to spend to improve the squad.
Have you seen anyone say that? I haven't.

sorry but we are a shit side. we've had our worst season in god knows how long and you're trying to spin it round on me by giving me this 4th bullshit. sure you can statistically back it up by saying 'we're the 4th best team in the country', and give me some cack statistics about a run of good games we had.

but fact is this team has been nothing short of an embaressment over the past 8 months; from our defending, to the way we had to call a 34 year old striker back to help us, to the way the manager moans about everything, even to the way we play sometimes which is nothing short of dull and listless.

we are fucking lucky we have van persie because without him we would be mid table. but you cant sit there and try to justify our performances and season this year, because it boils down to ONE PLAYER, not the team.

but i guess whilst there's fans like you supporting the team things wont change.

She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
07-03-2012, 11:56 PM

Is this the shit Milan who are the Italian champions and currently top of the Italian league?

That's not really relevant. The first leg was awful and we had very little chance of qualifying. They could have laid down and given up but they fought for it and gave themselves a chance when pretty much no-one thought we had one. This team who a lot of us, me included, have been so criticising this season fought hard last night and beat the Italian champions 3-0. It wasn't enough but the result, performance and effort on the night were fantastic. Pretty much no-one thought we could win 4-0 and now you're moaning because we didn't?

1. excellent example set by big man once again, calling me an idiot and insulting posters just because they dont share the same view as him.

2. i dont take much notice that they are italian champions. their owner is nothing short of a well known crook so you cant justify them winning the italian league because its more than likely they paid off officials for it, like they have in the past.

That's not really relevant.

they won 4-0 at the san siro. we won 3-0 at emirates. they went through 4-3 on aggregate.

clearly it is relevant.

Letters
07-03-2012, 11:57 PM
sorry but we are a shit side.

How come we're 4th then? It's not 'spin' or 'bullshit'. We are 4th. It's a fact. Look at a table.
After 27 games that is significant.

The only thing in your post which made any sense was that we wouldn't be there without RvP. We're not 'lucky' to have him, we bought him years ago and have been patient with him through all his injury problems. I personally thought we should sell him because of that, I'm very happy now we didn't.

Clearly we need to make some signings but we can't do that now so I'm just going to get behind them and if we keep playing like we have recently then you'll get no complaints from me. There's work to be done in the summer and I hear Ach may be right in his assessment of how things will go but that's to worry about in a few months time, not now.

She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
07-03-2012, 11:58 PM
Never said that but good on you for making yourself look good.

:haha:

you may never have said it but clearly you are, otherwise you'd be fucked off like me.

you said you're proud of the team and they done well to show fight and spirit, trying to justify the loss.
if thats not content i dont know what is :haha: :doh:

Olivier's xmas twist
07-03-2012, 11:58 PM
But thats just it. Its been said time and time again. No doubt we'll sign someone. The someone wont be anyone of the sufficient quality needed though but cos we have bought this someone, we wont buy anyone else. Add that to the fact RVP is off this summer, its not looking good

So you can see the future now, no one knows what will happen. let me guess we do because its happen the last 6 seasons :yawn:

She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
07-03-2012, 11:59 PM
How come we're 4th then?

followed by

The only thing in your post which made any sense was that we wouldn't be there without RvP.

answered your own question :haha:

Cripps_orig
07-03-2012, 11:59 PM
So you can see the future now, no one knows what will happen. let me guess we do because its happen the last 6 seasons :yawn:What? So we ignore the past even though the same shit keeps happening over and over?

Is Arsene Wenger your cousin as well?

Olivier's xmas twist
08-03-2012, 12:01 AM

you may never have said it but clearly you are, otherwise you'd be fucked off like me.

you said you're proud of the team and they done well to show fight and spirit, trying to justify the loss.
if thats not content i dont know what is :haha: :doh:

No really, Justifying a loss would be saying how the ref cost us the game or the fact we had players out. I'm saying i was proud off the effort the lads put in yesterday. Its Called supporting the team try it sometime.

Letters
08-03-2012, 12:01 AM
2. i dont take much notice that they are italian champions. their owner is nothing short of a well known crook so you cant justify them winning the italian league because its more than likely they paid off officials for it, like they have in the past.

Oh that is just laughable.

:lol: See?

they won 4-0 at the san siro. we won 3-0 at emirates. they went through 4-3 on aggregate.
clearly it is relevant.

This really is very simple. It was, effectively, 4-0 at half time. We could have thought "well, it's game over" and not bothered in the 2nd leg. But we didn't, we played brilliantly, gave everything and gave them a real fright. Ultimately it wasn't enough but you could hear the crowd's reaction at the final whistle. The players got a great reception and rightly so. All the Arsenal fans in the stadium were proud of the effort. If you weren't then, well, I think you're an idiot but yes you're entitled to your opinion.

Olivier's xmas twist
08-03-2012, 12:03 AM
What? So we ignore the past even though the same shit keeps happening over and over?

Is Arsene Wenger your cousin as well?

The past is the past for a reason, in live you look to the future not the past. yes mistakes were made and you can only hope they are not made again. My point is Aw could leave a new manager could come in and spend who knows. Dwellng on the past gets you no where.

Letters
08-03-2012, 12:04 AM
answered your own question :haha:

Well, no. You said we're shit.
I said we're 4th, which we are. A shit team wouldn't be in 4th.
If we didn't have RvP then we would be a shit team. But we do, so we're not.

She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
08-03-2012, 12:05 AM
No really, Justifying a loss would be saying how the ref cost us the game or the fact we had players out. I'm saying i was proud off the effort the lads put in yesterday. Its Called supporting the team try it sometime.

oh be quiet.

over the past 3 years ive been to more games than you have, home and away. and put more money into the club than you have- guaranteed. but ive woken up to the smell of coffee.

She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
08-03-2012, 12:07 AM
Well, no. You said we're shit.
I said we're 4th, which we are. A shit team wouldn't be in 4th.
If we didn't have RvP then we would be a shit team. But we do, so we're not.

i said we're shit. and we're lucky to be 4th because of rvp.

you said 'how comes we're 4th then?'

to which i had already answered.

donut.

:haha: :doh:

She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
08-03-2012, 12:08 AM
The past is the past for a reason, in live you look to the future not the past. yes mistakes were made and you can only hope they are not made again. My point is Aw could leave a new manager could come in and spend who knows. Dwellng on the past gets you no where.

oh my goodness.

oh.

my.

goodness.

you are wengers cousin. you must be.

this club will always be in a complete mess with fans like you.

Olivier's xmas twist
08-03-2012, 12:08 AM
oh be quiet.

over the past 3 years ive been to more games than you have, home and away. and put more money into the club than you have- guaranteed. but ive woken up to the smell of coffee.

You don't know me to make that statement.

Cripps_orig
08-03-2012, 12:09 AM
The past is the past for a reason, in live you look to the future not the past. yes mistakes were made and you can only hope they are not made again. My point is Aw could leave a new manager could come in and spend who knows. Dwellng on the past gets you no where.Well Wenger clearly is doing that seeing as he doesnt seem to realise hes making the same mistakes over and over again.

Fans seem to have had enough with the low attendances and the booing.

Other fans like yourself back Wengers ethos all the way

Olivier's xmas twist
08-03-2012, 12:09 AM
oh my goodness.

oh.

my.

goodness.

Such a retarded coment to make but id not expect less from you.

Letters
08-03-2012, 12:10 AM

But we're not 'lucky' to have him, he's part of our squad. Has been for years. How is that 'luck'? :lol:
Without him we'd be a shit team. But we do have him so we're not.

See? This really isn't rocket science. And while RvP is clearly the only player we can rely on to consistently score goals he has repeatedly credited his team mates with playing the balls to him so he can. He's not scoring every goal with a fantastic mazy run from the half way line, other players are contributing. Not enough to the goal-scoring, granted, but they're playing their parts.

Olivier's xmas twist
08-03-2012, 12:11 AM
Well Wenger clearly is doing that seeing as he doesnt seem to realise hes making the same mistakes over and over again.

Fans seem to have had enough with the low attendances and the booing.

Other fans like yourself back Wengers ethos all the way

Did i tell you i back him, you such a twat making up shite to make your argument look good.

She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
You don't know me to make that statement.

seeing as everytime i come onto this place on a saturday night you've been on the match thread spouting off i can assume either

a. you have an incredible wi-fi connection at the stadium and are incredibly sad enough to take your laptop with you to games

or

b. you dont go games

i know where my money is.

Letters
Did i tell you i back him, you such a twat making up shite to make your argument look good.

Remember who you're replying to

;)

Ollie the Optimist
08-03-2012, 12:12 AM

you said 'how comes we're 4th then?'

to which i had already answered.

donut.

:haha: :doh:

i dont buy this whole argument of where would we be without rvp. yes he has scored, but where would we be without kos, without songs assists for rvp, without theos assists for him or chesney. yes rvp scores but this team is something more, there is fight from all. rvp rightly gets the headlines but there are at least five players who have been just as important as rvp. song, sagna, kos, chesney and ox.

She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
Such a retarted coment to make but id not expect less from you.

:haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha:

Cripps_orig
Did i tell you i back him, you such a twat making up shite to make your argument look good.Hes your cousin

Family stick together so i just assumed you backed him

Olivier's xmas twist
08-03-2012, 12:13 AM
Remember who you're replying to

;)

True.

Olivier's xmas twist
08-03-2012, 12:15 AM
Hes your cousin

Family stick together so i just assumed you backed him

Really the Cousin thing its getting old now and even more boring when you say it.

Letters
08-03-2012, 12:16 AM
i dont buy this whole argument of where would we be without rvp. yes he has scored, but where would we be without kos, without songs assists for rvp, without theos assists for him or chesney. yes rvp scores but this team is something more, there is fight from all. rvp rightly gets the headlines but there are at least five players who have been just as important as rvp. song, sagna, kos, chesney and ox.

RvP's winner was amazing on Sunday but Chesney's 'keeping (and a slice of good luck!) kept us in it. RvP is clearly our MVP this season but the rest of them play their parts. Without him we wouldn't be as good, clearly, but you could say that about a top player in most teams.

Olivier's xmas twist
08-03-2012, 12:16 AM
:haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha:

Oh wow i Spelled it wrong, such a big man you are.

She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
08-03-2012, 12:17 AM
[b]i dont buy this whole argument of where would we be without rvp. [b] yes he has scored, but where would we be without kos, without songs assists for rvp, without theos assists for him or chesney. yes rvp scores but this team is something more, there is fight from all. rvp rightly gets the headlines but there are at least five players who have been just as important as rvp. song, sagna, kos, chesney and ox.

that argument is completely invalid and completely ridiculous.

rvp has scored 50% of our goals in premier league this season.

how many has kos scored? or chesney? or chamakh? or gervinho? or anyone else for matter?

he's needed passes to score but he's still had to put them away.

rvp is clearly more valuable than ANY other arsenal player in the team but if you're going to sit there and try to deny it in order to catalyse your argument, then dont even bother debating with me :doh:

Cripps_orig
Really the Cousin thing its getting old now and even more boring when you say it.:console:

Point is, you clearly accept the way Wenger is doing things or we wouldnt even be posting all this shit on this thread right now.

Ollie the Optimist

RvP's winner was amazing on Sunday but Chesney's 'keeping (and a slice of good luck!) kept us in it. RvP is clearly our MVP this season but the rest of them play their parts. Without him we wouldn't be as good, clearly, but you could say that about a top player in most teams.

yep and without songs pinpoint pass, rvp would have never have scored the winner. even messi needs others playing well to help him, xavi etc.

Kano
08-03-2012, 12:18 AM
Well certainly the team has more backbone than the last couple of years. A couple more players and we could be challenging for the title. If we can push to get 3rd, then there will be something to enjoy, seeing chavs drop below and watching spuds - who thought it was their big year to get above us and get in the CL while we failed - watching them whine as we are above and, who knows, them dropping out of the CL (and even Europa) places. Oh please let it happen.

that comeback ability has been present in wenger's teams for the past few years, perhaps not the extent we have seen in the past few weeks as the previous comebacks were usually undermined by a panicky defence.

there are two kinds of mental resilance we need to have and one we have failed to develop since 05. Standing up and fighting the odds is one thing but to lead from the front and not be scared to look back is a quality not too many people, let alone groups have. without that being developed somewhere within the team, being naturally or through new players, it is a strength needed to win a trophy again.

She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
08-03-2012, 12:18 AM
But we're not 'lucky' to have him, he's part of our squad. Has been for years. How is that 'luck'? :lol:

i dont mean luck in the literal sense, more in a idealised sense.

Ollie the Optimist
08-03-2012, 12:19 AM
that argument is completely invalid and completely ridiculous.

rvp has scored 50% of our goals in premier league this season.

how many has kos scored? or chesney? or chamakh? or gervinho? or anyone else for matter?

he's needed passes to score but he's still had to put them away.

rvp is clearly more valuable than ANY other arsenal player in the team but if you're going to sit there and try to deny it in order to catalyse your argument, then dont even bother debating with me :doh:

what a load of bollocks. yes rvp has scored and scored loads, but without a great defender like kos or a good keeper like chesney then the goals matter fuck all. on saturday rvp scored two, both goals came from two brilliant assists not just rvp magic. he didnt do it on his own. he could have scored two on saturday but without chesney we would have lost. it is a valid argument

Olivier's xmas twist
08-03-2012, 12:20 AM
:console:

Point is, you clearly accept the way Wenger is doing things or we wouldnt even be posting all this shit on this thread right now.

So me the guy who started the Wenger out thread is accepting the thing's he does OK then.

Syn
08-03-2012, 12:21 AM
1. excellent example set by big man once again, calling me an idiot and insulting posters just because they dont share the same view as him.

You've been very patronising throughout.

What?

but i guess whilst there's fans like you supporting the team things wont change.

By the same reasoning, you could say while there are fans like you calling Van Persie 'a fucking twat' because he missed a chance, things won't change. :shrug:

Look, if you don't feel proud of the team and just want your moan your arse off - go ahead, but don't criticise others for taking some positives out of wins against Tottenham, Liverpool and Milan. There's really no need to patronise others and saying they need to 'wake up' or think for themselves and shit like that.

Cripps_orig
08-03-2012, 12:22 AM
So me the guy who started the Wenger out thread is accepting the thing's he does OK then.Then what the fuck have we been debating about for the past hour?

You my friend are a very confused guy

She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
08-03-2012, 12:23 AM
what a load of bollocks. yes rvp has scored and scored loads, but without a great defender like kos or a good keeper like chesney then the goals matter fuck all. on saturday rvp scored two, both goals came from two brilliant assists not just rvp magic. he didnt do it on his own. he could have scored two on saturday but without chesney we would have lost. it is a valid argument

oh jog on.

when did i ever deny that?

i said RVP IS THE MAIN REASON WE HAVE 4TH.

MAIN.

i can counter your argument.

chesney can make all the world class saves he wants, but if we never score, then the saves mean fuck all.

She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
08-03-2012, 12:27 AM
Look, if you don't feel proud of the team and just want your moan your arse off - go ahead, but don't criticise others for taking some positives out of wins against Tottenham, Liverpool and Milan. There's really no need to patronise others and saying they need to 'wake up' or think for themselves and shit like that.

learn to read.

i never started ANY debate over the past 2 days.

all the debates were by others attacking my opinion, so dont sit there and tell me to stop criticising others when they predominantly started it, and have accentuated it.

this messageboard is for all opinions, and my opinion is last night is not good enough. end. of.

Olivier's xmas twist
08-03-2012, 12:31 AM
Then what the fuck have we been debating about for the past hour?

You my friend are a very confused guy

My argument had nout to do with you and you got involved for reasons unknown to me.

My point was Yes we went out the CL to a poor Milan side, Yes it was Wenger fault for not beefing up the sqaud i get that and he is at fault for much of the other faulires this season.

But we did not go out because we bottled yesterday we went out cause we shite in leg 1.

No one gave us a chance 3 weeks ago heck even 7:45 pm tuesday no one gave us a chance, even at 3-0 we were 1 goal away from going out had they scored.

My point was the players could have gone into that game and not bothere and settled for a 1-0 but they never they dug deep, got lucky i must admit, but done us Proud.

Of course id me much happier had we gone through no doubt about it, but i can't fault their effort last night.

Ollie the Optimist
08-03-2012, 12:32 AM
oh jog on.

when did i ever deny that?

i said RVP IS THE MAIN REASON WE HAVE 4TH.

MAIN.

i can counter your argument.

chesney can make all the world class saves he wants, but if we never score, then the saves mean fuck all.

no you said we are fourth because of rvp suggesting that he is the only reason we are fourth. not hte main reason but the only reason. thats not true, how many goals would he have scored without song or theo assisting him. without arteta song wouldnt go forward as much because there would be no cover. without hte defence and chesney then we would be losing games because they would let in fuckloads. rvp is a big reason why we are fourth but football is a team game and without song, theo, kos, chesney and others rvp wouldnt be scoring as much and if we did, it wouldnt matter because we would conceding more.

She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
08-03-2012, 12:37 AM
no you said we are fourth because of rvp suggesting that he is the only reason we are fourth. not hte main reason but the only reason. thats not true, how many goals would he have scored without song or theo assisting him. without arteta song wouldnt go forward as much because there would be no cover. without hte defence and chesney then we would be losing games because they would let in fuckloads. rvp is a big reason why we are fourth but football is a team game and without song, theo, kos, chesney and others rvp wouldnt be scoring as much and if we did, it wouldnt matter because we would conceding more.

well not really.

our team has been shite this season. how many cock ups have we had? how many times have our midfield looked diluted? how many times have we scored own goals?

so its a cop out to suggest our team has been really good this year and that the team has helped us achieve 4th.

any rational supporter, or anyone who has a brain, understands the reason we are 4th is because of rvp. there's no shame in admitting it.

he is the only reason.

without him we may be 6th, or 8th, or 12th, but he IS the reason we are 4th.

chesney can make all the saves he wants, if no-one scores for us, we dont win.

and without van persie, we wouldnt be scoring.

Syn
08-03-2012, 12:39 AM
learn to read.

i never started ANY debate over the past 2 days.

all the debates were by others attacking my opinion, so dont sit there and tell me to stop criticising others when they predominantly started it, and have accentuated it.

this messageboard is for all opinions, and my opinion is last night is not good enough. end. of.

You have been a patronising little dick throughout this thread. It's all there. Anyone can go through it and read it. There was a debate/comments being made and you came in with your 'open your eyes' rubbish and laughing at other comments. You can make your views about how you think nothing is going to change etc. without being patronising. Everyone was playing nice before you came in with your garbage.

And now you've got a typo from someone as your signature.

She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
08-03-2012, 12:45 AM
You have been a patronising little dick throughout this thread. It's all there. Anyone can go through it and read it. There was a debate/comments being made and you came in with your 'open your eyes' rubbish and laughing at other comments. You can make your views about how you think nothing is going to change etc. without being patronising. Everyone was playing nice before you came in with your garbage.

:haha: :haha:

just because i dont agree with you, you completely attack me now eh? resorting to insults and calling me a wanker.

grow up.

top poster you big man :bow: :doh:

Cripps_orig
08-03-2012, 12:54 AM
My argument had nout to do with you and you got involved for reasons unknown to me.

My point was Yes we went out the CL to a poor Milan side, Yes it was Wenger fault for not beefing up the sqaud i get that and he is at fault for much of the other faulires this season.

But we did not go out because we bottled yesterday we went out cause we shite in leg 1.

No one gave us a chance 3 weeks ago heck even 7:45 pm tuesday no one gave us a chance, even at 3-0 we were 1 goal away from going out had they scored.

My point was the players could have gone into that game and not bothere and settled for a 1-0 but they never they dug deep, got lucky i must admit, but done us Proud.

Of course id me much happier had we gone through no doubt about it, but i can't fault their effort last night.

Like you do with god knows how many posts of mine?

No one said we bottled it last night although after that 2nd half performance, i wouldnt be surprised if someone did. We bottled the first leg though and cos of the first leg, we are out of the CL so our reputation as bottlers remain despite last night.

Syn
08-03-2012, 12:55 AM
:haha: :haha:

just because i dont agree with you, you completely attack me now eh? resorting to insults and calling me a wanker.

grow up.

top poster you big man :bow: :doh:

:blink:

Grow up? I'm not the one who thinks it's hilarious to put a typo up as a signature.

In this tedious "who me? ...but I'm innocent" routine of yours, I'm trying to show you that you're the one who has been starting these silly e-attacks. Even if you're not directly calling people wankers, if you were less dismissive and patronising about other people's comments, you wouldn't be 'attacked' and there could probably be a decent discussion on how shit or great we are.

She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
08-03-2012, 12:58 AM
:blink:

Grow up? I'm not the one who thinks it's hilarious to put a typo up as a signature.

In this tedious "who me? ...but I'm innocent" routine of yours, I'm trying to show you that you're the one who has been starting these silly e-attacks. Even if you're not directly calling people wankers, if you were less dismissive and patronising about other people's comments, you wouldn't be attacked and there could probably be a decent discussion on how shit or great we are.

there's a fine line between patronising someone and calling someone a wanker.

you've shown yourself up to be a completely inconsiderate, malicious and pernicious poster.

now do me a favour and never reply to one of my posts again.

Syn
08-03-2012, 01:02 AM
there's a fine line between patronising someone and calling someone a wanker.

you've shown yourself up to be a completely inconsiderate, malicious and pernicious poster.

now do me a favour and never reply to one of my posts again.

I dunno...I might reply to a couple more.

Of course, that could mean 4, 15 or 30. I'll let you know the exact amount.

tpyo
08-03-2012, 06:09 AM
As a fan you can only support whats put out there and tbh the past three seasons is it that pundits have written us off and we've still managed to claw our way into the top 4. As being a supporter goes that's not bad and players like Oxo cube give us a little hope. Obviously we all want to do better but we wont always get the cake, certainly not in this world where cake seems to just be bought.

LDG
08-03-2012, 08:18 AM
What an awfully messed up thread. Of course, SWAYR is right. RVP is the main reason we're in with a shout. His is our captain, and one of the best players in the world. Wenger did well to sign him. And cesc and vieira and henry etc. the problem with this team, despite it's admirable qualities of character and charm, is that there is only one RVP. As there was only one cesc in recent times. To win and win well, we need to supliment wengers gems with proven quality, and that is the only reason we're not further up the table. Shame SWAYR couldn't bring herself to be more grown up about it. We may not have been "good enough" to go through v Milan, but any fan of this club should be proud of the team, regardless. They were fucking heros the other night. You could never say that of nasri, bender, ade and the other money grabbing ****s we've thankfully got rud of.

Marc Overmars
08-03-2012, 08:28 AM
Good read.

Japan Shaking All Over
08-03-2012, 08:35 AM
One thing I would say though, is that there are certain characters and individuals in this team that are worth sticking with and believing in. Which is something you couldn't say for past teams.

Id go with that. . .I have gone on record as saying I thought that this years version even though technically inferior is mentally stronger and more balanced than recent squads. I stick by this assessment besides the fact that cracks have been there for all to see.
We are still a work in progress and we can see that. . .there is still a big difference in many senses between us and the top two, quality=points - for me the biggest balls up was the run we went on after the Villa game, we lost some serious ground there - if we can find condistency then even this so called shit squad can challenge , if we can add to the core of Sir Ches, Kos, Jack Oxo and RvP, then we could dare to dream again. . .

Only thing is. . .it wont be till next year. . .but we can still look forward to one thing and that is giving a bitch slap to the Scum as we over take their spend at all costs squad!

Marc Overmars
08-03-2012, 08:45 AM
My issue with the team is that we're not competitive for trophies. So I find impressive runs like we're on now ultimatley frustrating because we don't turn it on when it matters, so to speak. I'm still very much open to the prospect of a change in manager because I feel as though Wenger has reached a ceiling with the team.

I can understand the frustration of SWAYR if you read between the WUMing and e-warrior crap, it does feel like we've been here before. Hell, we were all buzzing about Nasri and how good we looked this time last year. This club are absolute masters in flattering to deceive despite there always being some points for optimism.

If you want to look at this season in isolation however, we have done well to recover after the manager failed to prepare for the departues of Nasri and Fabregas, and as much as I don't like to say it, 4th place would probably be an achievement for a change because it's something we've worked towards and not just fallen back on.

Japan Shaking All Over
08-03-2012, 08:51 AM

open your eyes.

I was one of the people saying that I think we have a good core, and I think we do, the names I mentioned have the makings of a good team.

Sure we have said the same in the past. . .and then too we did have good players. . .what we didnt do then and this year is give that core quality support. We definitely didn't
have a keeper we could trust in as much as we can Chesney.

A challenger needs that kind of squad. . .a bench we can believe in, not one that is there just to make up numbers but one that can enhance quality not diminish it.

Whoever is in charge come next season needs to address that, if yhat quality core that you laugh at some talking about is to flourish!

Its not about opening ones eyes because they are already. . .but thanks for the advise

Coney
08-03-2012, 09:04 AM
i dont mean luck in the literal sense, more in a idealised sense.

'Fortunate' might be the word you are looking for.

Coney
08-03-2012, 09:11 AM
that comeback ability has been present in wenger's teams for the past few years, perhaps not the extent we have seen in the past few weeks as the previous comebacks were usually undermined by a panicky defence.

there are two kinds of mental resilance we need to have and one we have failed to develop since 05. Standing up and fighting the odds is one thing but to lead from the front and not be scared to look back is a quality not too many people, let alone groups have. without that being developed somewhere within the team, being naturally or through new players, it is a strength needed to win a trophy again.

I'm fairly sure that some of the resiliance of the team comes from purchases of people like Mersacker, Arteta and Benayoune (sp?) at the beginning of the season, along with the likes of Verm from before. But I am starting to think that RvP's captaincy is also a major factor in the teams performances. I think he is turning out to be a good leader that the players will respect and follow. Cesc was not like that - he was a great talent and I'm sure the players respected him for that and got on well as friends in a team, but it looks as if he did not have that 'leader' factor that RvP seems to have.

Japan Shaking All Over
08-03-2012, 09:14 AM
And all SWAYR is saying that this has been said every season for the past 6 seasons yet nothing changes and people dont seem to think to clock on.

Time others did

And we get that FFS!
I think what everyone is saying that a quality core by itself will not get us to where we want to be. . .this time or next time ie next season we need to bring in a better supporting cast for Jack Oxo RvP to play with, a bench that can contribute.

We all know we have let down by this side of things and if we can/dare to get it right, we could be up there.

Letters is not saying this season has been great but he has enjoyed moments of it. . .we have produced some great games bit equally we have been poor, we need to address the poor side, the inconsistent nature of our past seasons. . . .shit it is not wrong to think optimistically, and there is reason to be so when you hope that a certain core lead by RvP will be around next year.

What is it with some. . .that just want to hear. . .so sorry for having an opinion, of coutse you are right!

Letters
08-03-2012, 09:15 AM
It makes no sense to saw we're a shit team and then, when someone points out we're 4th, say "that's only because of RvP."
RvP is PART OF OUR TEAM!
It would be legitimate (and probably accurate) to say we would be shit without him, but we're not without him so it's irrelevant.

It's like saying "Novak Djokovic is shit" and when someone points out he's actually quite good saying "yeah, but that's only because of his right leg".
Well, that is probably true and without it he wouldn't be as good but, again, irrelevant. A body is made up of parts which are all needed to make the whole. A team is made up of players. Some parts/players are more important than others but the team should be assessed as a whole and, as a whole, we're 4th right now.

Clearly we're too reliant on RvP and need some signings, I don't think anyone is denying this. No-one thinks everything is suddenly fine, people are just pleased that we've strung a few results together and are pleased at the fight we showed the other night when we could have laid down and given up.

SWAYR - I've removed your sig. Grow up.

Japan Shaking All Over
08-03-2012, 09:23 AM

Good post Letters

Reading this thread from the top and SWAYR is starting to have a San Siro himself. . .

Japan Shaking All Over
08-03-2012, 09:32 AM

clearly it is relevant.

Point 2 - Do shut up!
I get your frustration but you quite clearly do not know what you are talking about. . .I think people think Milan are shit because they have a few golden oldies playing for them. . .I thought we would do Milan but not because I thought they were shit, the match in Italy did not leave me witth a lot if hope because we wete awful as many have said, but we gave it a good crack in the return leg and although disappointed I can still applaud the team and not crucify them for not being able to score a fourth

Japan Shaking All Over
08-03-2012, 09:55 AM
Oh that is just laughable.

:lol: See?

This really is very simple. It was, effectively, 4-0 at half time. We could have thought "well, it's game over" and not bothered in the 2nd leg. But we didn't, we played brilliantly, gave everything and gave them a real fright. Ultimately it wasn't enough but you could hear the crowd's reaction at the final whistle. The players got a great reception and rightly so. All the Arsenal fans in the stadium were proud of the effort. If you weren't then, well, I think you're an idiot but yes you're entitled to your opinion.

Wrong again Letters!
The fans were paid off by Berrascolli to show fake love!

Japan Shaking All Over
08-03-2012, 10:09 AM
oh my goodness.

oh.

my.

goodness.

How will the club always be in a complete mess with fans like Charlie or Wengers cousin. . .unless Charlie actually is Wenger or Wengers family is the board!

and since when has optimism been such a bad thing?

Fist of Lehmann
08-03-2012, 01:52 PM
Just as a point of reference:

..............P.....GD.....Pts
05-06.....27.....17.....41
06-07.....27.....27.....52
07-08.....27.....36.....64
08-09.....27.....13.....46
09-10.....27.....42.....60
10-11.....27.....30.....56
11-12.....27.....17.....49

Subjective assessments are all very nice and meaningless, but in the final analysis it's results that count. And not in the cups either, those are unreliable indicators of quality. A pro-rata league comparison is about the best we can manage.

By those criteria this season is 2 worst and not far away from the 08-09 season.
(Note we went on to notch 26 pts of 33 during the remainder of that season so the flaw in comparing pro-rata is clear).

Even if we won every single game from now till the end of the season we'd still 'only' hit 82 points. 1 shy of 07-08.

Joker
08-03-2012, 02:32 PM
She Wore A Yellow Ribbon is correct, RVP has contributed 34 of the 49 goals (including goals and assists) in the Premiership this season, close to 70%. No other club relies on ONE PLAYER to contribute so much in an attacking sense. This season has been pathetic, we're out of the Champions League in the 2nd round, out of the FA Cup in the 5th round, went out of the Carling Cup early and are scrapping to remain in the top 4 in a season when Chelsea and Liverpool have been dreadful. How can anyone say this season has been decent? Just because we've had a few good results shouldn't obfuscate the fact that we've regressed as a team again, and are no closer to winning a trophy than back in 2008-2009.

And it is entirely right to criticise RVP for messing up that chance against Milan. Arrogance cannot be justified when you're not winning comfortably.

Japan Shaking All Over
08-03-2012, 02:38 PM
She Wore A Yellow Ribbon is correct, RVP has contributed 34 of the 49 goals (including goals and assists) in the Premiership this season, close to 70%. No other club relies on ONE PLAYER to contribute so much in an attacking sense. This season has been pathetic, we're out of the Champions League in the 2nd round, out of the FA Cup in the 5th round, went out of the Carling Cup early and are scrapping to remain in the top 4 in a season when Chelsea and Liverpool have been dreadful. How can anyone say this season has been decent? Just because we've had a few good results shouldn't obfuscate the fact that we've regressed as a team again, and are no closer to winning a trophy than back in 2008-2009.

And it is entirely right to criticise RVP for messing up that chance against Milan. Arrogance cannot be justified when you're not winning comfortably.

@last part

What's up mate? Dummy fell out your mouth and discovered you could talk. . .tell you what, put it back in and we'll pretend you never said anything. . .there's a good lad

Olivier's xmas twist
08-03-2012, 02:54 PM
@last part

What's up mate? Dummy fell out your mouth and discovered you could talk. . .tell you what, put it back in and we'll pretend you never said anything. . .there's a good lad

im sure Joker Splaffed his pants, when RVP missed so he could come on here and gloat about it.

Xhaka Can’t
08-03-2012, 03:04 PM
Cut it out guys.

Olivier's xmas twist
08-03-2012, 03:15 PM
Cut it out guys.

:hug: Sowry GB

Japan Shaking All Over
08-03-2012, 03:28 PM
Roger

(just gets on my tits........)

Letters
08-03-2012, 04:36 PM
She Wore A Yellow Ribbon is correct

No he isn't. Nor are you.

Ernesto
08-03-2012, 07:23 PM
I'm not sure if I'm suffering from a short-term memory loss, but I think having Rosicky in the centre of the midfield gives us that much more character than a midfield with Fabregas. Only thing is- he can't/won't head the ball. Neither could Fabregas saying that. But playing Rosicky in that position (something that GWers were crying our for in 2006) has been a revelation. Playing a tough midfield like Rosicky/Arteta/Song resembles Vieira/Edu/Parlour, in my opinion.

Power n Glory
08-03-2012, 09:35 PM
I'm not sure if I'm suffering from a short-term memory loss, but I think having Rosicky in the centre of the midfield gives us that much more character than a midfield with Fabregas. Only thing is- he can't/won't head the ball. Neither could Fabregas saying that. But playing Rosicky in that position (something that GWers were crying our for in 2006) has been a revelation. Playing a tough midfield like Rosicky/Arteta/Song resembles Vieira/Edu/Parlour, in my opinion.

Wenger should have been playing Rosicky in the middle with Cesc ages ago. As soon as we signed him I thought we'd play a 4-3-3 but instead he was playing out on the left. It's a total waste of talent. When Wilshere is back fit, he should be playing with Rosicky and Song. For this formation to work, we need a try that are comfortable on the ball. It should be like the Barca trio, we can't have players like Ramsey or Arteta playing if they can't pass under pressure or turn their man.

The key playmakers should be in the centre and they're the ones that will draw players towards them and open up space for the wide players. One playmaker on his own can't control the middle. He can't work in isolation without support from the other two midfield players. Just a bloody shame we're going to lose Rosicky in the summer.

She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
08-03-2012, 10:22 PM
It makes no sense to saw we're a shit team and then, when someone points out we're 4th, say "that's only because of RvP."
RvP is PART OF OUR TEAM!
It would be legitimate (and probably accurate) to say we would be shit without him, but we're not without him so it's irrelevant.

It's like saying "Novak Djokovic is shit" and when someone points out he's actually quite good saying "yeah, but that's only because of his right leg".
Well, that is probably true and without it he wouldn't be as good but, again, irrelevant. A body is made up of parts which are all needed to make the whole. A team is made up of players. Some parts/players are more important than others but the team should be assessed as a whole and, as a whole, we're 4th right now.

Clearly we're too reliant on RvP and need some signings, I don't think anyone is denying this. No-one thinks everything is suddenly fine, people are just pleased that we've strung a few results together and are pleased at the fight we showed the other night when we could have laid down and given up.

SWAYR - I've removed your sig. Grow up.

that is pound for pound one of the worst posts ive ever read in my life.

you are a complete embarressment.

take a step back and read that through again, take your tinted glasses off. you are comparing a tennis player, who plays by HIMSELF, to a TEAM.

i know you're trying your hardest not to admit defeat because your heads far up your arse, but there's a line between sense and stupidity.

you've crossed it.

She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
08-03-2012, 10:24 PM
'Fortunate' might be the word you are looking for.

english isn't my first language but i try my best.

She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
08-03-2012, 10:25 PM
And we get that FFS!
I think what everyone is saying that a quality core by itself will not get us to where we want to be. . .this time or next time ie next season we need to bring in a better supporting cast for Jack Oxo RvP to play with, a bench that can contribute.

We all know we have let down by this side of things and if we can/dare to get it right, we could be up there.

Letters is not saying this season has been great but he has enjoyed moments of it. . .we have produced some great games bit equally we have been poor, we need to address the poor side, the inconsistent nature of our past seasons. . . .shit it is not wrong to think optimistically, and there is reason to be so when you hope that a certain core lead by RvP will be around next year.

What is it with some. . .that just want to hear. . .so sorry for having an opinion, of coutse you are right!

blah blah blah heard it all before. change the record.

next year you'll be sitting here in exactly the same position saying the same shit about giving it more time.

Dog Toffee
09-03-2012, 12:45 AM
Big Tits.

Japan Shaking All Over
09-03-2012, 10:19 AM
blah blah blah heard it all before. change the record.

next year you'll be sitting here in exactly the same position saying the same shit about giving it more time.

quite possibly....if things remain the same.....but what am I meant to do?
I don't want to stop hoping for the team to do better......am I to stick pins into the eyes of dolls that resemble Wenger, hope that God unleashes a storm that is large enough and strong enough to carry Wenger and the gimps that he has bought such as Chamahk/Bendtner and Denilson away with him (because I've tried and it doesn't work)

Where does my statement that I hope that next time round the manger (be it Wenger or whoever) actually decides to put together a squad rather than a core supported by low quality lackies differ from what you complain about (our over reliance on RvP)?

And in what way am I wrong to be saying that we need to do this NOW

this time or next time ie next season we need to bring in a better supporting cast for Jack Oxo RvP to play with

because by saying that I obviously recognise that a pattern has emerged in which we haven't provided the kind of support that our star players have needed.

And by stating that I have in no way said that we need to give it more time (as you excuse me of) because if I am sitting next year I will be equally as pissed off as you will be having to listen to me say......

the only difference being that we may not even have the core in place by then.

mate, not too sure what your beef is.....but it definitely doesn't need any gravy!

bignev
09-03-2012, 12:56 PM
This thread is so tiresome and indicative of GW as a whole.

We ALL agree that this side is not good enough and that we are overly reliant on RVP.

There's not much we can do about it now so lets just enjoy the current run, hope that we can continue it, strengthen in the summer and push on next season.

Kano
09-03-2012, 01:09 PM
quite possibly....if things remain the same.....but what am I meant to do?
I don't want to stop hoping for the team to do better......am I to stick pins into the eyes of dolls that resemble Wenger, hope that God unleashes a storm that is large enough and strong enough to carry Wenger and the gimps that he has bought such as Chamahk/Bendtner and Denilson away with him (because I've tried and it doesn't work)

Where does my statement that I hope that next time round the manger (be it Wenger or whoever) actually decides to put together a squad rather than a core supported by low quality lackies differ from what you complain about (our over reliance on RvP)?

And in what way am I wrong to be saying that we need to do this NOW

because by saying that I obviously recognise that a pattern has emerged in which we haven't provided the kind of support that our star players have needed.

And by stating that I have in no way said that we need to give it more time (as you excuse me of) because if I am sitting next year I will be equally as pissed off as you will be having to listen to me say......

the only difference being that we may not even have the core in place by then.

mate, not too sure what your beef is.....but it definitely doesn't need any gravy!
yeah yeah and next season you'll be hoping for the same.

wanting the team you support to do well and hoping things improve.

i have no idea what planet you are on.

bonkers.

bignev
09-03-2012, 01:15 PM

bonkers.

In isolation this quote is absurd!

Japan Shaking All Over
09-03-2012, 02:47 PM

bonkers.

Stark raving. . .dont know why I dont just go and shoot myself in the face right this minute. . . .

Wont exactly be missed because according to some I'm the kind of fan that has put the club onto the mess we are in!

:sound of melancholy violins:

Xhaka Can’t
09-03-2012, 03:05 PM
This thread is one of the worst since 2006.

LDG
09-03-2012, 03:12 PM
This thread is one of the worst since 2006.

I enjoyed the 92/93 thread more. Some awful wumming too. What a load of anal.

Marc Overmars
09-03-2012, 03:26 PM
Gary's blunt and sarcastic comments scare me.

GP
09-03-2012, 03:34 PM
In isolation this quote is absurd!

In isolation your face is absurd.

LDG
09-03-2012, 03:40 PM
In isolation your face is absurd. Your face is absurd regardless.ROFL!!!!

GP
09-03-2012, 03:41 PM
:(

bignev
11-03-2012, 04:10 PM
In isolation your face is absurd.

Your mums face is absurd.

GP
11-03-2012, 04:13 PM
:(

BOBN
14-03-2012, 12:41 PM
07-08 was one of the best ever premier league teams, just got piped by the world class brilliance of the vidic-ferdinand and tevez-rooney-ronaldo axis + scholes. Certainly the best side ive ever seen in britain at retaining the ball. Better than the invincibles and that.

This team has the framework and spirit for an excellent team but wenger needs to sprinkle some world class wuality on top.