21-03-2012, 11:10 PM
QPR vs Liverpool now.

Cripps_orig
21-03-2012, 11:10 PM
RPQ v Liverpool on now

Should just fast forward it to the last 20 mins tbh

McNamara That Ghost...
21-03-2012, 11:11 PM
Suarez's league form finishing back to the fore there.

McNamara That Ghost...
21-03-2012, 11:14 PM
That is brilliant from Coates.

Uruguayans. :bow:

Cripps_orig
21-03-2012, 11:14 PM
Impressive from Coates

McNamara That Ghost...
21-03-2012, 11:15 PM
So good he deserves the smiley. :getcoat:

McNamara That Ghost...
21-03-2012, 11:15 PM
Kuyt. :bow:

GotY.

Shaqiri Is Boss
21-03-2012, 11:16 PM
Suarez's league form finishing back to the fore there.
It's very very odd how erratic his finishing is. He just can't do the simple stuff, which actually runs through our whole team.

McNamara That Ghost...
21-03-2012, 11:16 PM
Derry. :lol:

The old man outjumps eveyone.

Cripps_orig
21-03-2012, 11:17 PM
No men on the post at corners

Shocker from Liverpool

McNamara That Ghost...
21-03-2012, 11:17 PM
It's very very odd how erratic his finishing is. He just can't do the simple stuff, which actually runs through our whole team.

I'm not sure he has much appreciation of an angle, it seems like he aims for the same place wherever he is.

McNamara That Ghost...
21-03-2012, 11:18 PM
Jose Enrique. :haha:

Sign him up.

Cripps_orig
21-03-2012, 11:18 PM
Liverpools defending for the winner :haha:

Shaqiri Is Boss
21-03-2012, 11:19 PM
I'm not sure he has much appreciation of an angle, it seems like he aims for the same place wherever he is.
The post?

Cripps_orig
21-03-2012, 11:20 PM
RPQ is our next away game :popcorn:

McNamara That Ghost...
21-03-2012, 11:20 PM
The post?

:lol: Thankfully, yes.

Cripps_orig
21-03-2012, 11:22 PM
Skrtel for the 3rd :haha:

McNamara That Ghost...
21-03-2012, 11:23 PM
I take Tottenham to finish third with Liverpool claiming fourth position.

That may be heart ruling head, but I believe they can finish ahead of Arsenal and Chelsea.

Hansen. :haha:

Cripps_orig
21-03-2012, 11:23 PM
Spuds on now

Shaqiri Is Boss
21-03-2012, 11:25 PM
*turns it back on*

McNamara That Ghost...
21-03-2012, 11:25 PM
That effort from Jerome made the highlights? Dear me.

Cripps_orig
21-03-2012, 11:26 PM
How many goals has Modric scored this season?

McNamara That Ghost...
21-03-2012, 11:26 PM
How many goals has Modric scored this season?

Four.

McNamara That Ghost...
21-03-2012, 11:27 PM
Terrible header from Walters.

Cripps_orig
21-03-2012, 11:28 PM
Only 4? :lol:

And Spuds want big money for him :haha:

McNamara That Ghost...
21-03-2012, 11:29 PM
Bale. :lol:

Wondergoals is what he has been reduced to.

McNamara That Ghost...
Sexy goal from Stoke.

Cripps_orig
Stoke with a classic Pub Team goal

McNamara That Ghost...
21-03-2012, 11:31 PM
Good header from VDV.

First thing of note he had done for quite a while.

Cripps_orig
21-03-2012, 11:31 PM
Good header from VDV

Cripps_orig
21-03-2012, 11:34 PM
On to the main event

McNamara That Ghost...
21-03-2012, 11:34 PM
We're on.

:scarf:

Cripps_orig
21-03-2012, 11:35 PM
Ramsey :doh:

McNamara That Ghost...
Bloody hell Ramsey. Didn't sort his legs out, again.

Shaqiri Is Boss
How on earth did Ramsey miss?

McNamara That Ghost...
21-03-2012, 11:36 PM
Vermaelen. :bow:

Cripps_orig
21-03-2012, 11:36 PM
Verm :bow:

McNamara That Ghost...
21-03-2012, 11:38 PM
:haha:

Drenthe was definitely onside.

McNamara That Ghost...
21-03-2012, 11:39 PM
Was Moyes' instruction "get in to them"?

Cripps_orig
21-03-2012, 11:39 PM
Kos played Drenth onside

Thank god the linesman had a shocker

Welcome back Kos

McNamara That Ghost...
21-03-2012, 11:40 PM
Jelavic. :lol:

Dived in front of Vermaelen.

McNamara That Ghost...
21-03-2012, 11:43 PM
WUMger letting the players think Spuds had lost. :bow:

Cripps_orig
21-03-2012, 11:43 PM
Gervinho was in the same position and the same run he was in in the ACON semi finals when he scored but he passes when he plays for us

Wengeritis :bow:

Its done its work well

McNamara That Ghost...
21-03-2012, 11:46 PM
That Drenthe offside call wasn't exactly as clearcut as Dowie made out.

McNamara That Ghost...
21-03-2012, 11:49 PM
Great volley by Hoilett.

Cripps_orig
21-03-2012, 11:50 PM
Decent finish there by Toilet

McNamara That Ghost...
Bendtner. :lol: Slow git.

Cripps_orig
Bendtner :haha:

McNamara That Ghost...
21-03-2012, 11:51 PM
Dong! :haha:

OMG.

Cripps_orig
21-03-2012, 11:51 PM
Ji :haha:

Should do a Park tbh

Syn
22-03-2012, 02:23 PM
No-one questioned Suresh Reina for the goal Van Persie sidefooted in to the middle of the net and no-one questions Reina for QPR's winner yesterday. Rule no.1 of goalkeeping - stay low. He had time to set himself, and he did, and he let the ball go straight through him. Must be one of the most overrated players around. He makes so many mistakes.

Shaqiri Is Boss
22-03-2012, 02:35 PM
No-one questioned Suresh Reina for the goal Van Persie sidefooted in to the middle of the net and no-one questions Reina for QPR's winner yesterday. Rule no.1 of goalkeeping - stay low. He had time to set himself, and he did, and he let the ball go straight through him. Must be one of the most overrated players around. He makes so many mistakes.
To be fair it helps when your defence suddenly decides not to defend. For all three goals, actually.

Can hardly call anything he did last night a mistake though. And wasn't Van Persie's volley (I assume) right by the post, not the middle? You could say he shouldn't have been beaten at his near post, but the finish was pretty good.

He's had by far his worst season though, and when I pointed that out to a bunch of Liverpool fans was told to "c unt off"... whatever the hell that means.

Syn
22-03-2012, 02:50 PM
To be fair it helps when your defence suddenly decides not to defend. For all three goals, actually.

Can hardly call anything he did last night a mistake though. And wasn't Van Persie's volley (I assume) right by the post, not the middle? You could say he shouldn't have been beaten at his near post, but the finish was pretty good.

He's had by far his worst season though, and when I pointed that out to a bunch of Liverpool fans was told to "c unt off"... whatever the hell that means.

His positioning is awful. A lot of the time. He gets the basics wrong. He seems to give Arsenal a goal every time they go to Anfield. Van Persie's volley was a great piece of technique but his positioning was awful and he should not get beaten from that angle, from that far out, at that height. He should've saved QPR's winner, too. It was a basic error of not staying low and he had plenty of time to set himself.

Maybe he has been extra poor this season but I've got to admit I've never understood the fuss over him. Liverpool could do better but he doesn't seem to get questioned - that's what I don't get. Every 'keeper makes mistakes, even Hart who is probably the best in the league, but when I read any reaction, people (not just on here, general media) do actually point it out even as a backhanded compliment (a 'keeper of that calibre will be disappointed with himself). Though in fairness to the Van Persie volley I think Motty or whoever was doing the BBC commentary did say Reina should do better.

McNamara That Ghost...
22-03-2012, 02:54 PM
I've been as critical of Reina as anyone but I don't think he can be blamed for the RVP goal, or at least, it's understandable why he was where he was. I mean, as a goalkeeper I would imagine instinct would tell you any striker would try and go across goal from a volley there, like he did for the Everton one but he adjusted his foot and went for the nearpost instead. Even Van Basten's ridiculous effort was across the goal.

Also, any excuse to post it...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zOgOmEUiqOg

:bow:

Shaqiri Is Boss
22-03-2012, 04:21 PM
His positioning is awful. A lot of the time. He gets the basics wrong. He seems to give Arsenal a goal every time they go to Anfield. Van Persie's volley was a great piece of technique but his positioning was awful and he should not get beaten from that angle, from that far out, at that height. He should've saved QPR's winner, too. It was a basic error of not staying low and he had plenty of time to set himself.

Maybe he has been extra poor this season but I've got to admit I've never understood the fuss over him. Liverpool could do better but he doesn't seem to get questioned - that's what I don't get. Every 'keeper makes mistakes, even Hart who is probably the best in the league, but when I read any reaction, people (not just on here, general media) do actually point it out even as a backhanded compliment (a 'keeper of that calibre will be disappointed with himself). Though in fairness to the Van Persie volley I think Motty or whoever was doing the BBC commentary did say Reina should do better.
I don't know, as Maccy says, everyone expected him to hit it across goal, it was only Van Persie's ridiculous technique that he didn't. I'd still say he isn't a fault for their winner either. He was low, and I wouldn't really call a second or two plenty of time to set himself. If it was a simple through ball, maybe, but Enrique should have cleared it

Put it one way, I think he was one/if not the best keeper for a few years, but not anymore. Other players have emerged, like Hart, Sneezy and Krul who are young and playing well. We did have a solid defence for a long time but to win 3 Golden Gloves in a row is still impressive He worked on his crosses and set pieces, and put that with his shot stopping, command of his area, communication and distribution he had a lot of very good attributes. He has probably regressed from that peak, though I'm sure the fact we have regressed as a club has something to do with that. He hasn't had any competition to speak of for 6 years, that's bound to have an effect too. I don't get the same confidence that I did a few years ago with him though, and he isn't immune from criticism (if you look beyond RAWK everyone has come in for some criticism, even Kenny).

Interestingly, I think Hart is over rated. Good no doubt, but nothing like the way some people fawn over him.

Maybe in mind, if not consciously admitting it, he has already gone. I for one wouldn't blame him if he did.

Syn
22-03-2012, 05:21 PM
I don't know, as Maccy says, everyone expected him to hit it across goal, it was only Van Persie's ridiculous technique that he didn't. I'd still say he isn't a fault for their winner either. He was low, and I wouldn't really call a second or two plenty of time to set himself. If it was a simple through ball, maybe, but Enrique should have cleared it

Put it one way, I think he was one/if not the best keeper for a few years, but not anymore. Other players have emerged, like Hart, Sneezy and Krul who are young and playing well. We did have a solid defence for a long time but to win 3 Golden Gloves in a row is still impressive He worked on his crosses and set pieces, and put that with his shot stopping, command of his area, communication and distribution he had a lot of very good attributes. He has probably regressed from that peak, though I'm sure the fact we have regressed as a club has something to do with that. He hasn't had any competition to speak of for 6 years, that's bound to have an effect too. I don't get the same confidence that I did a few years ago with him though, and he isn't immune from criticism (if you look beyond RAWK everyone has come in for some criticism, even Kenny).

Interestingly, I think Hart is over rated. Good no doubt, but nothing like the way some people fawn over him.

Maybe in mind, if not consciously admitting it, he has already gone. I for one wouldn't blame him if he did.

A couple of seconds is a lot of time. It's all relative and in football terms, it's a lot of time. In cricket, if a bowler bowls wide at 75 mph, the batsman has 'plenty of time' to rock back onto the back foot and smash it for four. In reality, he has 0.7 seconds to react. It's more than enough.

And I don't accept Van Persie's as anything other than poor 'keeping. The goalkeeper is taught to set himself at the near post particularly when it's from an angle like that. And there's good reason why that's a textbook rule. The reason being it's harder to Van Baasten it into the far post than it is to sidefoot it into the near post. The Everton volley was more difficult than the Liverpool volley. But regardless the goalkeeper is supposed to stop that. It was a sublime piece of technique but from that angle and height, I'd be very disappointed if Szczesny was beaten.

As for Liverpool's defensive record over recent years, I've expressed my views over that. Arsenal always score a shedload of goals but it doesn't mean they're necessarily they're a great attacking side - if you set out with very attacking tactics, you're going to score and concede a lot. If you set out with defensive tactics, you're going to have a good defensive record. How much is down to Kuyt hunting down the opposition, how much is down to Carragher taking players out and how much is down to Reina, I can't calculate the exact proportions. But if he was good in, I don't know, 2008/9 or whatever - fair enough. So was Almunia. What seems to be clear from my point of view is that he is not good enough right now. If he is getting criticism, it's long over-due - but the noises I've heard seem to hint at wanting continuity w.r.t to the managerial position. With that continuity, I would guess there would be continuity in the playing staff. I will be highly surprised if a new goalkeeper is bought but one is needed.

McNamara That Ghost...
22-03-2012, 05:37 PM
Syn, I think you'd find going near post from a volley (and from where RVP was) goes against what most strikers would do because you have to be perfect for it to be a goal (there's no chance of hitting the side netting and it being a goal), whereas going across goal, there is. If he had covered the near post, then I daresay RVP would've tried going across goal instead. A couple of seconds is not a lot of time to cover both parts of the goal, in fact it is impossible.

It's a mistake, sure, like any goal conceded has come from a mistake. An understandable one in this situation though. Just like Snznznzny wasn't to know Gibbs would let Ben Arfa cut inside (he got beaten on his near post then).

The Everton one is 'easier' because he was able to put all the power in to it and after all, it hit the post and went in but both are technically supreme, regardless.

Syn
22-03-2012, 05:57 PM
Syn, I think you'd find going near post from a volley (and from where RVP was) goes against what most strikers would do because you have to be perfect for it to be a goal (there's no chance of hitting the side netting and it being a goal), whereas going across goal, there is. If he had covered the near post, then I daresay RVP would've tried going across goal instead. A couple of seconds is not a lot of time to cover both parts of the goal, in fact it is impossible.

It's a mistake, sure. An understandable one in this situation though. Just like Snznznzny wasn't to know Gibbs would let Ben Arfa cut inside (he got beaten on his near post then).

The reason strikers attempt to go far post is because the goalkeeper is at the near post, not because it's easier to hit it far post than near post. It was easier for Van Persie to sidefoot it near post than cut through it far post. To me that seems like common sense not just because the technical difficulties of controlling a shot through the laces but also because the angle is tighter. If this wasn't the case, the goalkeeping manual would tell goalkeepers to keep Reina's position but instead you're asked to keep your near post covered.

Szczesny should have saved Ben Arfa's too - I remember saying that at the time. Though the shot was more accurate and lower down. I realise it's not just as simple as 'near post...should save it' but the angle where Van Persie hit it from, the height of the shot and the fact that it was a controlled shot rather than belted, I think it was very save-able.

McNamara That Ghost...
22-03-2012, 06:03 PM
The reason strikers attempt to go far post is because the goalkeeper is at the near post, not because it's easier to hit it far post than near post. It was easier for Van Persie to sidefoot it near post than cut through it far post. To me that seems like common sense not just because the technical difficulties of controlling a shot through the laces but also because the angle is tighter. If this wasn't the case, the goalkeeping manual would tell goalkeepers to keep Reina's position but instead you're asked to keep your near post covered.

Szczesny should have saved Ben Arfa's too - I remember saying that at the time. Though the shot was more accurate and lower down. I realise it's not just as simple as 'near post...should save it' but the angle where Van Persie hit it from, the height of the shot and the fact that it was a controlled shot rather than belted, I think it was very save-able.

Well we could go really deep with this I suppose. Perhaps Reina had seen RVP take one far post and assume that's what he would try again, in fact, I wonder if RVP thought about it. It does seem like he adjusts to it, having watched the slo-mo replay.

And Syn, well you've just proven my point. If a striker goes far post because the keeper is near post and I suppose you consider that to be the accepted fact of what players do on the volley, then it'd make sense in theory for Reina to not be touch tight to the nearpost, for a cross ball volley on to somebody's leftfoot and it would've meant Reina had the right angle to the push the ball out of danger (if RVP had gone where I guess most would think he would). It's cat and mouse between goalkeepers and strikers and Reina lost out. He got it right for the save to deny Theo's deflected shot by having his legs free but it's all marginal.

Syn
22-03-2012, 06:36 PM
Well we could go really deep with this I suppose. Perhaps Reina had seen RVP take one far post and assume that's what he would try again, in fact, I wonder if RVP thought about it. It does seem like he adjusts to it, having watched the slo-mo replay.

And Syn, well you've just proven my point. If a striker goes far post because the keeper is near post and I suppose you consider that to be the accepted fact of what players do on the volley, then it'd make sense in theory for Reina to not be touch tight to the nearpost, for a cross ball volley on to somebody's leftfoot and it would've meant Reina had the right angle to the push the ball out of danger (if RVP had gone where I guess most would think he would). It's cat and mouse between goalkeepers and strikers and Reina lost out. He got it right for the save to deny Theo's deflected shot by having his legs free but it's all marginal.

:lol: I don't even think Reina would be thinking about it this much. Perhaps he should and he'd be a better goalkeeper. :whistle:

I don't see a 'game theory' type aspect to this. It's not a penalty shoot-out. No guesswork needs to take place. You set yourself at the near post, if he makes an Everton-esque volley, you hold your hands up and say 'fair enough". Why don't you say 'fair enough' (if you're a goalkeeper) to Van Persie's volley that went near post - because it's more difficult to hit it far post than near post. As a goalkeeper your job is to make it as difficult as possible to score - and that's why you're supposed to cover your near post.

McNamara That Ghost...
22-03-2012, 07:02 PM
It's very much like a pelanty shoot-out, both require anticipation (from both sides) but I suppose the difference is nobody ever 'expects' a goalkeper to save a pel, unless Gervinho is the taker, I guess. The ball was lofted enough that it gives both players thinking time, one to their detriment, one to our benefit. As a goalkeeper your job is to make it harder to score but you don't do it to the risk of leaving the greater area exposed. To the further the idea of it being cat and mouse - look at RVP's attempted chip of Abbiati.

A question though: why do you think the Everton one is tougher (to execute)? I see it as that the one RVP took the one against Liverpool on is not easier to go nearpost because you're side-footing a lofted ball that has travelled for a few seconds. The appreciation of touch to be able to do that and put it where you want for me is far tougher than putting your laces through one. The Everton one is more spectacular though.

Master Splinter
22-03-2012, 07:59 PM
I sometimes think that Me, Maccy and Rors are the only ones who notice how poor so-called great goalkeepers can be at times. With Hart, it's understandable, he's English and will be unconditionally praised. The befuddlement of myopic pundits will be funny to see when Citeh's next manager installs a new fancy-sounding foreign number one due to Hart's 57th goal-causing parry of the season.

The continued refusal to criticise 'faultless' Reina is absurd though. He's been incredibly dodgy for the last two seasons. It's only recently that Cech's fall from grace has been noted, too. It just comes down to the fact that most pundits/journalists are thick and will to stick pre-ordained narratives and lazy truths rather than attempt to develop opinions of their own based on actual evidence.

cricketsi
22-03-2012, 11:08 PM

Reina :lol:
Enrique :lol:

Hasn't Ach championed both of these as vastly superior players to our current options?

Cripps_orig
22-03-2012, 11:10 PM
And rightly so

cricketsi
22-03-2012, 11:15 PM
And rightly so

Reina wasn't even looking a worthwhile option when we had Almunia as number one, less so with Fabianski and laughable now with Szczezsznzy incumbent.

Cripps_orig
22-03-2012, 11:20 PM
Reina wasn't even looking a worthwhile option when we had Almunia as number one, less so with Fabianski and laughable now with Szczezsznzy incumbent.Hes been the best keeper in the league for 4 or 5 years :doh:

cricketsi
22-03-2012, 11:21 PM
Hes been the best keeper in the league for 4 or 5 years :doh:

He certainly hasn't been the best keeper in the league for the past 2 or 3 years.

Marc Overmars
22-03-2012, 11:21 PM
Reina :lol:
Enrique :lol:

Hasn't Ach championed both of these as vastly superior players to our current options?

Enrique has been very good this season.

Coney
23-03-2012, 08:50 AM
I sometimes think that Me, Maccy and Rors are the only ones who notice how poor so-called great goalkeepers can be at times. With Hart, it's understandable, he's English and will be unconditionally praised. The befuddlement of myopic pundits will be funny to see when Citeh's next manager installs a new fancy-sounding foreign number one due to Hart's 57th goal-causing parry of the season.

The continued refusal to criticise 'faultless' Reina is absurd though. He's been incredibly dodgy for the last two seasons. It's only recently that Cech's fall from grace has been noted, too. It just comes down to the fact that most pundits/journalists are thick and will to stick pre-ordained narratives and lazy truths rather than attempt to develop opinions of their own based on actual evidence.

As far as the media talking about any players - not just keepers - they exaggerate the situation. For them, a player is either completely useless or a god. The idea that a player can generally be very good but make some mistakes now and then does not seem to be a concept they can deal with. So what they think of Hart, Reina or anyone else does not really interest me.

Back to keepers saving. The fact is that in order to stop a shot when the opponent gets in closer, the keeper - like during a pelanty - basically has to guess which way it is going. Even if he leaves the final decision late, he will be mentally getting ready to dive one way or the other, so he can be wrong-footed before he then moves. It can look as if he has just reacted late whereas it is just him changing balance - something not easy to spot.

When a keeper is, for instance, 'beaten at the near post' which all the punters say is something that should never happen - that is not realistic. If you watch most strikers, when they are coming in at an angle will more often than not - by a big margin - shoot for the far post. If you are a keeper, you will likely position yourself to discourage a shot to the near post and tense your muscles ready to spring to cover a shot to the far post. If a striker then unexpectedly shoots for the near post, a keeper - even a really good one - can be beaten if the shot is fast enough.

Again, the commentators take a real bias here. They decide on a great shot or save on whether the players involved are in the list of 'great/favoured' players or not. A ball can be deflected from a Rooney shot that was going wide and that is still a great shot. If it is a championship player making the same shot, it is a lucky deflection. Of course if a keeper is hit by a shot from point blank range when he was simply standing there, then if he is a favoured player it is a great save. etc.