PDA

View Full Version : Lukas Podolski Thread

Pages : [1] 2

Cripps_orig
01-04-2012, 11:19 PM
Lets face it, its happening

LUKAS PODOLSKI sticks a couple of stunning left-footed shots into the top corner of the net.

He jokes with the first-team squad, plays football with a couple of young children and speaks at length to a pensioner watching from the side.

Yet one of Germany's biggest football stars is not at Cologne, the club where he is about to end a second spell before joining Arsenal for £11million.

Podolski is at his real home: the Lukas Podolski Sportpark.

Although born in Poland, Podolski was aged two when his family moved to Germany for a new life and he grew up in the town of Bergheim.

Remarkably, a couple of times a week, Podolski — who has 95 international caps — returns to the pitches where he first kicked a ball to watch the local team which plays in the ninth tier of German football.

Podolski looks incredibly proud as he tells Sunsport of the improvements he has made to this once run-down sports centre.

These trips will become infrequent when he becomes Arsene Wenger's latest signing.

Yet he smiles when I tell him that the Emirates is slightly bigger than the ground which uses his name. He breaks into a major grin when I mention the prospect of him playing alongside Robin Van Persie.

In Cologne, where he is known as Prince Poldi, the striker is mobbed wherever he goes.

But here in Bergheim, a town of 60,000 near the borders with Belgium and Holland, Podolski appears a genuine, fun-loving lad.

And the welfare of FC Bergheim 2000 has become a major passion. He not only attends training sessions, but he helps the manager select new players while they discuss team tactics.

Podoslki, understandably, had to avoid speaking about his imminent move to Arsenal as it has yet to be officially announced — even though it is football's worst-kept secret and will be confirmed within 10 days.

But he was happy for his two closest friends in football to chat about why he should be a major success at the Emirates.

Podolski's priority, though, was to tell me about this complex which means so much.

He said: "Look at this astroturf pitch. It was an ash surface but I had it re-laid. There is also a junior pitch over there (he points again) with the same astroturf.

"As for the main football pitch, it have had it re-laid with grass and now it looks very good. Also the changing room and things like that.

"If they need new flooring or showers, the club ring me and I make a phone call. If they need new balls or kit, I ring adidas.

"I lived two minutes from this area and I love this football centre. I biked here every day after school and played with my friends until 10pm in the evening. This was my life.

"It is only 50 minutes in the car from Cologne. My friends play here and I am always here. On Sunday, if I do not play for Cologne, I am here, having fun, eating food with my friends.

"This is normal for me. Everyone knows me here and it's nice."

As a couple of youngsters walk past, Podolski added: "My big interest is also the junior team. We are looking for the new Podolski. Why not?

"I was lucky to have a coach who gave me a chance to play in Cologne's first team. When I was 10 I knew I was good but was not sure if I was playing in the the first team.

"The dream was to be as good as Ronaldo. And in 2005, I played against him and Brazil in the Confederation Cup — that was some moment and we changed shirts.

"I am lucky to have now played in some major tournaments — and now I have another one coming up."

This was interesting stuff from Podolski. Not bad for a bloke who 10 minutes earlier, gave me a firm 'no' when asked whether he spoke any English.

As for swapping shirts, Podolski laughs when reminded of his picture leaving the pitch in an Arsenal top after a pre-season friendly last summer.

He said: "Yes, I got an Arsenal shirt last summer but there was no name on the back. And yes, of course I like English football. It is like Germany, that's why."

Wearing a white adidas top with the hood pulled over his head, he proved to be camera shy.

Yet after a kickabout with two mates, he snatched the camera from my photographer and spent the next 30 minutes taking pictures of the local team training.

After returning the equipment, he asked for a CD of the pictures so he could email them around to the team of part-timers.

Ingo Haselbach, 42, is the manager of Bergheim.

He said: "I speak with Lukas every day. We look at players together and we decide what is best for the team. Lukas is Lukas. He is a fantastic person.

"He comes once or twice a week. If he is not playing for Cologne, then he comes to watch our team.

"Lukas puts so much into this. Normally, it is only when a player is 36 he comes back.

"He is Germany's number one player and here at Bergheim is a special place for him. It is a holy place."

Hardly surprisingly, his move to Arsenal is not exactly a secret around these parts.

Haselbach added: "When he joins Arsenal, he will play with the heart and I think the supporters will love that."

Podolski's oldest friend in football is Cologne coach Willie Breuer.

Although still a highly-respected Cologne, the 57-year-old has been persuaded by Podolski to drive to Bergheim twice a week to coach youngsters.

Breuer said: "I have known Lukas since he was 10. Best of all, Lukas has not changed at all since he made his debut for Cologne and broke into the German team.

"We are close. When Lukas came back to Cologne from Bayern Munich, he asked me to give him some special training sessions.

"It is also good that he will go to the Premier League. We spoke six months ago about moving there. I told him he would be a success.

"He is fast and physically strong and Arsenal will be a good move. The Premier League will help Lukas get even better. And I am sure Lukas will be a good fit with Van Persie."

Breuer than hopes he will get the chance to watch Arsenal.

And having seen the generosity of his most famous protégée, Breuer will not be struggling for an Emirates ticket next season.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/4230747/Arsenal-target-Lukas-Podolski-runs-a-9th-tier-football-club.html

Japan Shaking All Over
01-04-2012, 11:41 PM
(based on Saturdays performance)

Should be the first of many. . .but big question is the first of how many?

Thierrymon
02-04-2012, 02:42 AM
Never really been impressed by him when i have seen him, which isnt that often.

Hopefully he is good for us and is support for RVP, not replacing him.

fakeyank
02-04-2012, 02:44 AM
Hopefully this wont be similar to the Nasri thread :faint:

Niall_Quinn
02-04-2012, 03:15 AM
Hopefully this wont be similar to the Nasri thread :faint:

Can live with it being like the Nasri thread. My fear real fear is a Chamakh thread. Worst Arsenal player of all time?

Cripps_orig
02-04-2012, 06:01 AM
Can live with it being like the Nasri thread. My fear real fear is a Chamakh thread. Worst Arsenal player of all time?Take it you havent seen Bendtner?

Joker
02-04-2012, 09:59 AM
Take it you havent seen Bendtner?

Atleast Bendtner scored some important goals for us, even though I didn't particularly rate him. He's been excellent for Sunderland in recent weeks, suggesting that in terms of ability he's light years ahead of Chamakh.

Syn
13-04-2012, 10:10 AM
Koln have sacked their manager. With 4 games left, they are in the relegation zone but it's a bit weird down there because they do play-offs if you finish 3rd last..which Koln currently are.

Kaiser
13-04-2012, 12:37 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQcCLydNqAQ

LDG
15-05-2012, 08:29 AM
http://www.arsenal.com/assets/_files/images/may_12/gun__1337010456_podolski_shirt2.jpg

:bow:

McNamara That Ghost...
15-05-2012, 08:37 AM
He doesn't look happy.

KSE Comedy Club
15-05-2012, 08:41 AM
He doesnt lke the new kit either :coffee:

Also, hasnt he got a big nose.

LDG
15-05-2012, 08:42 AM
He doesn't look happy.

It's the blue bits on the kit :(

GP
15-05-2012, 08:46 AM
He doesnt lke the new kit either :coffee:

Also, hasnt he got a big nose.

Yeah, he's Polish.

Flavs
15-05-2012, 09:13 AM
He doesn't look happy.

No, he looks fooking business which is why we need him.

Cripps_orig
15-05-2012, 10:45 AM
Arsenal-bound forward Lukas Podolski believes that he can cover a variety of different positions for Arsene Wenger when he links up with the Gunners following his £10.9 million move from Koln.

The Germany international has proved versatile over the years, playing wide on the left for his national team while acting as a playmaker and as a forward in the four years he spent at Koln, and he expects this to be an asset at the Emirates Stadium.

"In Cologne, I played as a centre forward and also as a playmaker," Podolski told the Daily Mirror.

"In the national team I play wide on the left. I honestly don't mind where I play, as long as it's in a forward position.

"But it's always the coach who decides where you play and I will do my best wherever I play."

The 95-times-capped striker hopes to come back from the summer's international action in a good position to succeed from the off at his new club.

He added: "I had a very good season with Koln, I played well and as a result I'm now going to Euro 2012 in the summer with lots of confidence.

"After that, I will be joining up with my new team mates at Arsenal and it is my goal just to do my best and be successful there."

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2896/premier-league/2012/05/15/3103853/podolski-i-can-be-arsenals-utility-man

Cant wait for him to play next season.

Just got a bad feeling he will get injured early on in the season or during the summer :(

LDG
15-05-2012, 10:52 AM
Sorry Mods, please merge this with the original Podolski thread.

A massive thank you to Cripps for pointing this out.

Cripps_orig
15-05-2012, 10:53 AM
Sorry Mods, please merge this with the original Podolski thread.

A massive thank you to Cripps for pointing this out.Sorry. I keep getting banned from threads i havent started for no reason whatsoever so i chose the safe option and posted the article on my own thread

Olivier's xmas twist
15-05-2012, 12:43 PM
Sorry. I keep getting banned from threads i havent started for no reason whatsoever so i chose the safe option and posted the article on my own thread

take the hint then.

Cripps_orig
15-05-2012, 12:46 PM
take the hint then.Only post in threads ive started?

Olivier's xmas twist
15-05-2012, 12:50 PM
Only post in threads ive started?

If the cap fits wear it.

server too busy!
15-05-2012, 02:16 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQcCLydNqAQ

Motherfucker got some heat in those boots!

Syn
15-05-2012, 02:51 PM
He shoots exactly like Van Persie. Check out the goal in 0:50 odd...as he shapes to hit it, he even has the bent arm.

Marc Overmars
15-05-2012, 02:59 PM
Looks like he could be a relative of his as well.

LVP. :bow:

Olivier's xmas twist
15-05-2012, 03:11 PM
He shoots exactly like Van Persie. Check out the goal in 0:50 odd...as he shapes to hit it, he even has the bent arm.

His replacement tbh.

Özil's Panoramic View
15-05-2012, 06:05 PM
looks like he's good enough for at least 30 goals next season

and i did notice that quite a few of those goals were from outside the area....something we could definitely use

Syn
15-05-2012, 06:31 PM
30's too much to ask. It depends on where he plays. If RVP goes and Podolski takes his place, given our team is built up to make chances for him, he will probably score a lot. But if he's playing in Gervinho's position out-wide, I don't think we can expect more than, say, 15. I reckon Theo will be getting the goals next season. Van Persie has said a few times that Theo will be a 20 goal a season player. He usually sticks them away these days.

GP
15-05-2012, 06:32 PM
Theo's finishing has really improved. I'm confident he'll tuck a chance away more often than not.

Ollie the Optimist
15-05-2012, 06:34 PM
Theo's finishing has really improved. I'm confident he'll tuck a chance away more often than not.

the only time im not confident in him is one on ones like the bolton one, but when he runs through with pace like against the scum and chelsea then i think he will score

Olivier's xmas twist
15-05-2012, 06:39 PM

Lets hope he don't get broken at the Euro's then.

Xhaka Can’t
15-05-2012, 06:48 PM
Theo definitely improved from the Spud game onwards and while I felt we missed Arteta to a much greater degree, we missed Theo as well.

Come to think of it, we missed Oxo Chamberlain as well.

Master Splinter
15-05-2012, 07:53 PM
Come to think of it, we missed Oxo Chamberlain as well.

http://www.arsenal.com/assets/_files/images/aug_10/gun__1282546634_wenger21082010b.jpg

Xhaka Can’t
15-05-2012, 08:32 PM
http://www.arsenal.com/assets/_files/images/may_12/gun__1337010456_podolski_shirt2.jpg

Kano
15-05-2012, 08:35 PM
we need more scary germans

Dennis Bendtner
15-05-2012, 08:38 PM

http://www.mirror.co.uk/incoming/article834332.ece/ALTERNATES/s615/Per+Mertesacker+of+Arsenal+gets+ready+to+camp+out+ on+the+Emirates+pitch

Master Splinter
15-05-2012, 08:39 PM

http://www.arsenal.com/assets/_files/images/oct_11/gun__1320052299_youth_gnabry.jpg

Frimpong's Son :bow:.

Kano
15-05-2012, 08:42 PM
http://www.mirror.co.uk/incoming/article834332.ece/ALTERNATES/s615/Per+Mertesacker+of+Arsenal+gets+ready+to+camp+out+ on+the+Emirates+pitch
:lol:

Cripps_orig
16-05-2012, 10:47 PM
LUKAS PODOLSKI has vowed to smash the goals that will end Arsenal's seven-year wait for a trophy.

The striker will move to London after Germany's Euro 2012 campaign has finished.

And he is confident he can lead Arsene Wenger's side to their first taste of glory since their 2005 FA Cup win.

Podolski said: "It won’t be easy as the Premier League is quite well balanced, certainly across the top six teams who are all very strong. It will be difficult.

“But I have joined to win titles and trophies — that is my target. I will do my very best to be successful with Arsenal.

“They play fast in England, score lots of goals and there are tough battles.

“I enjoy this style of football, so from that point of view I think I will adapt fairly quickly. I’m a player who plays in a similar style.”

Podolski’s former manager Stale Solbakken — the new Wolves boss — believes Arsenal have made a shrewd signing.

He said: “He can play in any team in the world. He was bigger than God in Cologne — you wouldn’t believe it unless you were there.

“He’s just had his best ever season with 18 goals from 30 games or something and when we had all those injuries, he carried the team alone for some games.

“He’s physical, he’s played 100 games for Germany and scored 45 goals, so I think he can cope with everything.

“He can play in either of the forward positions up front. If Arsenal play their usual 4-2-3-1, he can play in all of those four forward positions.”

Arsenal will hold talks with player of the year Robin van Persie over a new contract and Podolski would relish the opportunity to play alongside the Dutch striker.

He added: “Arsenal are a very disciplined team; they play great football with excellent passing and they are really good to watch on television.

“I’m excited to be part of this team now, playing that way and making the supporters happy.

“Robin van Persie has had such a brilliant season — it has been great to watch.

“Then there is Per Mertesacker who I know well, and I have also been impressed with the performances of Wojciech Szczesny in goal.

“Of course Tomas Rosicky has had a very good season. There are many great players at Arsenal.”

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/4321200/Lukas-Podolski-targets-trophies-with-Arsenal.html

Hes saying all the right stuff

Cant wait

Niall_Quinn
16-05-2012, 10:56 PM
Wenger won't play him anyway.

KSE Comedy Club
16-05-2012, 11:13 PM
Im more excited about seeing him line up for us at the start of the season than the crappy euros.

Podolski :bow:

I really think we might be on the verge of something special next season.

Cripps_orig
16-05-2012, 11:15 PM
Euros are going to be awesome tbh

Cant wait

Olivier's xmas twist
16-05-2012, 11:20 PM

Cant wait

:gp:

KSE Comedy Club
16-05-2012, 11:27 PM

Cant waitOnly the Germany games and the England games where theo and ox get to play, so maybe 1.

Cripps_orig
16-05-2012, 11:36 PM
Thats the thing about Euros and World Cups.

It gives me a chance to get away from all the Arsenal crap for the summer

Il be watching as many matches as i can regardless of how many Arsenal player are involved

Come on Greece

Cripps_orig
05-06-2012, 01:25 PM
English author Nick Hornby hopes Lukas Podolski can make a major impact on Arsenal's side next season.

The 27-year-old German striker has signed for the Gunners this summer already and will join an attacking line-up that includes of Robin van Persie, Gervinho, Theo Walcott and Marouane Chamakh.

The writer of Fever Pitch, High Fidelity and About A Boy believes the former Bayern Munich forward can be a success at the Emirates Stadium.

He told German publication Kolner Stadt Anzeiger: "He can become the biggest Arsenal star, the biggest star in our capital. And our hero.

"I have watched all his goals for Cologne that he scored this season.

"When it became more probable that he would sign for Arsenal, I watched him closer. I'm fully convinced by him."

Hornby also predicted Germany will triumph at Euro 2012 over favourites Spain and group competitors Netherlands, Denmark and Portugal.

He said: "It's an opportunity: We'll get drunk. Germany's going to win the tournament."

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2896/premier-league/2012/06/05/3149684/author-nick-hornby-hopes-podolski-can-be-arsenal-star

Grebbo
14-06-2012, 07:54 AM
I haven't seen any of the euros, how has he performed?

toothless gibbon
14-06-2012, 07:58 AM
I haven't seen any of the euros, how has he performed?

He's been pretty much anonymous in both games.

Grebbo
14-06-2012, 07:59 AM
Oh

LDG
14-06-2012, 08:12 AM
:haha:

Podolski is a predator. That's what he does. He'll do alright for us.

Özim
14-06-2012, 08:56 AM

Podolski is a predator. That's what he does. He'll do alright for us.
True but they're suppose to score goals, he hasn't yet :lol:

LDG
14-06-2012, 09:02 AM

I'm not going to read too much into that. He hasn't had a clear cut chance yet, and he's playing a role for his side which I'm guessing is more than just goal hanging.

Joker
14-06-2012, 09:09 AM
We shouldn't play him from the left IMO. He doesn't really have the pace or dribbling ability to go past players and deliver balls into the box, nor can I see him cutting inside and being a playmaker. He should start in the centre if we want to get the best out of him.

LDG
14-06-2012, 09:20 AM
We shouldn't play him from the left IMO. He doesn't really have the pace or dribbling ability to go past players and deliver balls into the box, nor can I see him cutting inside and being a playmaker. He should start in the centre if we want to get the best out of him.

With the greatest respect. After your second RVP fail, I will not consider your view on strikers and their respective abilities.

Thank you for posting.

Letters
14-06-2012, 09:26 AM
I think it's probably best to ignore his 112 goals in 291 games over his club career and focus on 2 international games.

FFS, I don't know much about him but his stats are decent enough, let's give him a chance.

V-Pig
14-06-2012, 09:30 AM
I wouldn't be bothered about signing Cristiano Ronaldo either tbh. Pretty anon.

Letters
14-06-2012, 09:31 AM
I wouldn't be bothered about signing Cristiano Ronaldo either tbh. Pretty anon.
I wouldn't either 'cos he's an uber-****

GP
14-06-2012, 09:37 AM
With the greatest respect. After your second RVP fail, I will not consider your view on strikers and their respective abilities.

Thank you for posting.

Second? He's up to about 30 I reckon.

Marc Overmars
14-06-2012, 09:42 AM
Podolski has been a passenger so far but it's nit picking really considering his track record with the national team.

Özim
14-06-2012, 09:42 AM
I think it's probably best to ignore his 112 goals in 291 games over his club career and focus on 2 international games.

FFS, I don't know much about him but his stats are decent enough, let's give him a chance.
Just saying that's all, think he's a decent player and signing myself.

Been poor in this tournament though, think he perhaps needs to be played centrally to get the best out of him as it's always harder to score goals from out wide.

Japan Shaking All Over
14-06-2012, 10:11 AM

Thank you for posting.

Niall_Quinn
14-06-2012, 10:43 AM
Podolski is relentless (like all the Germans tbf) Runs 90 minutes, is always available for the ball, does his defensive shift, looks extremely disciplined. He lacks the natural ability of Arshavin (by the look of it), but he'll be so much more effective in the PL. Looks to be a super solid pro. Now if we were signing Bastien I'd be splaffing all over the place, but Podolski will do nicely. You don't get to play in that German machine if you aren't a high quality part.

Niall_Quinn
14-06-2012, 10:48 AM
Just saying that's all, think he's a decent player and signing myself.

Been poor in this tournament though, think he perhaps needs to be played centrally to get the best out of him as it's always harder to score goals from out wide.

He hasn't been poor, what are you talking about? Nobody has been poor in that German team, they have all played as part of a highly effective unit. His goal as part of that unit has been to get the ball to Gomez in front of goal and I'd say that has been achieved to great effect. Stick him in front of goal and maybe he's the one getting the headlines but that's not how you define decent and poor in a team game.

hobson's choice
14-06-2012, 11:18 AM

Where did most of those goals come, Koln, not much pressure there. I wish was excited about him coming, and I hope i'm proven wrong.

Kano
14-06-2012, 11:32 AM
Where did most of those goals come, Koln, not much pressure there. I wish was excited about him coming, and I hope i'm proven wrong.
nearly 50 for germany too. def no pressure there.

Niall_Quinn
14-06-2012, 11:33 AM
Sell him he's shit.

Özim
14-06-2012, 11:51 AM
He hasn't been poor, what are you talking about? Nobody has been poor in that German team, they have all played as part of a highly effective unit. His goal as part of that unit has been to get the ball to Gomez in front of goal and I'd say that has been achieved to great effect. Stick him in front of goal and maybe he's the one getting the headlines but that's not how you define decent and poor in a team game.
To be honest dude, he's barely touched the ball, I was wondering if he was still on in the 2nd half yesterday as he didn't seem to touch the ball at all.

LDG
14-06-2012, 11:58 AM
To be honest dude, he's barely touched the ball, I was wondering if he was still on in the 2nd half yesterday as he didn't seem to touch the ball at all.

They played pretty much down the right yesterday and exposed Willems though.

First game he had much more of a role to play, and was a bullish little ****, which is just what we need.

Cripps_orig
26-06-2012, 11:17 PM
New Arsenal striker Lukas Podolski has marked Germany's progress to the Euro 2012 semi-finals by releasing a pop single.
Full story: 101 Great Goals

Pod :bow:

Master Splinter
27-06-2012, 02:12 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cVLZmCJ9oyU&feature=player_embedded

Boss
27-06-2012, 06:43 AM
:haha: :haha:

Injury Time
27-06-2012, 07:10 AM
Move over Elvis we got our new anthem :blink:

Cripps_orig
15-08-2012, 02:15 PM
Arsenal striker Lukas Podolski has stated that his team can challenge for the Premier league title this season.

The forward, who moved to the Emirates this summer along with Olivier Giroud and Santi Cazorla, indicated that they are one of a number of teams that can win the league this season and hopes to play a major role in bringing the trophy to north London.

“The Premier League has five or six teams who can play for the title and we are one of them,” he told the club's official website.

“We really want to win this trophy and I hope I can score a lot of goals and make some assists to help the club in the Premier League.

“When you are a footballer you must be ready - you’re on the pitch to win. Whether it is against Koln or against Sunderland, you are a footballer and you must be ready to win matches.”

The Gunners forward promised supporters more of the same after netting twice in a pre-season friendly against former club Koln, including a fine strike from outside the penalty area.

The 27-year-old got the Gunners' second and third in a convincing 4-0 victory against his former side, firstly from the penalty spot after 15 minutes and then finishing off a neat move with a powerful strike just before half-time.

The German international revealed that he has had no trouble fitting into his new team as he enjoys the way in which Arsene Wenger's side play football, insisting that it will enable him to reproduce the goods throughout the new season.

“That is the kind of goal Arsenal fans can expect from me,” he told the club's official website. “It was a good goal. We played very well with good combinations and it was fun.

“The passing and the movement of the team is very good - it is a good match. This is what I want and what I like. I like to pass quickly and, without the ball, to play and go. This is my style of football and we play this style.

“For me it has been very easy to settle. It’s a very good team and the guys are very good - it was easy to be one of the guys. It’s a great atmosphere.”

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2896/premier-league/2012/08/15/3308827/podolski-arsenal-can-challenge-for-title?source=breakingnews

Liking the confidence

Cant wait to see him play on saturday

Marc Overmars
15-08-2012, 02:27 PM
Hope he can replicate his Football Manager 2005 form.

Olivier's xmas twist
19-09-2012, 08:30 AM
His replacement tbh.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/4321200/Lukas-Podolski-targets-trophies-with-Arsenal.html

Hes saying all the right stuff

Cant wait

ACH :bow:

has now.

Podolski is relentless (like all the Germans tbf) Runs 90 minutes, is always available for the ball, does his defensive shift, looks extremely disciplined. He lacks the natural ability of Arshavin (by the look of it), but he'll be so much more effective in the PL. Looks to be a super solid pro. Now if we were signing Bastien I'd be splaffing all over the place, but Podolski will do nicely. You don't get to play in that German machine if you aren't a high quality part.

Olivier's xmas twist
19-09-2012, 08:33 AM
One think about Poldy is i like how he is so positive, Its good to see that from one of our players not all this doom and gloom shite and from fans too.

people said if rvp goes we'd struggle to score goals well this man might have other idead tbh. What a player and what a bargain tbh. Good bit of business by Wenget tbh. If only he could have bought more like this.

Özim
19-09-2012, 08:34 AM
He starting to get going, looks like he's settled pretty well and will score a fair few goals.

Joker
19-09-2012, 09:02 AM
Don't see why my comment was so bad. I haven't seen him go past players on the wing and deliver crosses into the box like a traditional winger. He's moved to the centre a lot and done a lot of his damage from there. Having said that I have underestimated how fast he is. He does look quite a quick, powerful player.

Olivier's xmas twist
19-09-2012, 09:22 AM

Thank you for posting.

:bow: LDG

V-Pig
19-09-2012, 09:23 AM
Fuck's sake. I don't normally have strong opinions (on football. Besides optimism) but I've been proper bumming this signing for the past few months and telling everyone who would listen how awesome Wenger is for getting a world class striker for £10m and people were telling me I was silly. And now I'm right and I can't remember who I told or where and whose face I need to rub it in.

I guess I'll just :dance:

Boss
19-09-2012, 09:26 AM
Poldi :bow: :bow:

McNamara That Ghost...
19-09-2012, 10:33 AM
One of the Daily Heil's captions beneath a Poldi photo.

German efficiency: Lukas Podolski took just seven minutes to equalise for Arsenal.

Typical Germans.

Bergkampwonderland10
19-09-2012, 11:38 AM
I love Lukas Podolski :cloud9:

One of the Daily Heil's captions beneath a Poldi photo.

Typical Germans.

McNamara That Ghost...
19-09-2012, 11:47 AM
Wenger knows.

Niall_Quinn
19-09-2012, 11:48 AM
Wenger knows.

But we'll have to wait for the book.

McNamara That Ghost...
19-09-2012, 11:53 AM
Can a book be open and closed at the same time? It's possible.

Olivier's xmas twist
19-09-2012, 11:56 AM
Germans :bow: Time for Eisfeld to step up tbh.

Kyle?
19-09-2012, 07:27 PM
I think this summer has showed both sides of Wenger. He's signed gems like Poldi and Cazorla, and then he's signed a huge dud in Giroud.

GP
19-09-2012, 07:38 PM
:doh:

Olivier's xmas twist
19-09-2012, 10:52 PM

V-Pig
19-09-2012, 10:56 PM
He got the dud!

Cripps_orig
20-09-2012, 11:05 PM
Germany striker Lukas Podolski, 27, wants to get an Arsenal tattoo on his left arm to go with the one of Cologne he already has on his right, after just five games with the club.
Full story: Daily Mirror

LDG
21-09-2012, 08:20 AM
I think I love Lukas :loveblush:

GP
21-09-2012, 08:21 AM
I love his efficient, throbbing German penis.

LDG
21-09-2012, 08:26 AM

Japan Shaking All Over
21-09-2012, 01:44 PM
I love his efficient, throbbing German penis.

Maybe you get a tatoo of it?

Master Splinter
21-09-2012, 03:04 PM
He'll have a Manchester United tattoo on his right kneecap next season.

Cripps_orig
22-09-2012, 01:15 AM
One of my posts on here got that rep thingy

No idea who by or even if it was approved or disapproved

Cripps_orig
24-09-2012, 09:35 PM
Former Germany coach Berti Vogts has criticised Lukas Podolski's attitude for the national team and his former club Koln, but says the striker's professionalism will improve at Arsenal.

The Mannschaft international has scored three goals in six appearances for the Gunners following his summer move from the Bundesliga, helping the north London side remain unbeaten in the Premier League thus far.

However, Azerbaijan manager Vogts believes the 27-year-old still has weaknesses which must be ironed out by Arsene Wenger, such as his work-rate.

Regarding Germany's Euro 2012 exit at the hands of Italy, Vogts said: "It is always the defence that gets criticised. But the defence starts with Podolski. When he loses the ball he must start running back once in a while.

"Now at Arsenal, he has a manager under whom he has to work really hard in training. Now he gets educated as a professional."

The former Borussia Monchengladbach defender continued by describing Podolski as an "extraordinary player" but added: "[He had] too many friends in Cologne and I hope they stayed at home."

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2896/premier-league/2012/09/24/3400640/former-germany-boss-vogts-criticises-podolski-attitude

Vogts obviously hasnt seen him this season

Gervinho's Forehead
04-11-2012, 02:30 PM
What a crap buy this one has turned out to be.

GP
04-11-2012, 02:32 PM
What a crap buy this one has turned out to be.

Boss
04-11-2012, 02:33 PM
Two months into the season and Podolski's been written off.

Bunch of clowns that support our club. :lol:

Cripps_orig
04-11-2012, 02:33 PM
Nah there is hope for him yet

Hes a quality player but need to play up front

Giroud has been shocking.

Pod and Theo upfront in a 4-4-2 and we'll win it all

Gervinho's Forehead
04-11-2012, 02:34 PM

:doh: to you to, he's done nothing and is anonymous in most games until you he his name when being subbed on 60 minutes.

Power n Glory
04-11-2012, 02:35 PM
Doesn't look to suited to playing on the left at all. Never takes on his man and isn't direct enough. Should probably play as a striker but really been pissed off with anonymous performances and lack of tracking back over the last 4 games or so.

Olivier's xmas twist
04-11-2012, 02:35 PM
Two months into the season and Podolski's been written off.

Bunch of clowns that support our club. :lol:

Pretty much.

Marc Overmars
04-11-2012, 02:36 PM
The most disappointing thing about Podolski over the past month has been that he's barely got involved in matches at all. Most of the time I've forgotton he was on the pitch.

Maybe it is worth trying him more centrally because that's where all his goals so far have come from. I certainly don't expect him to be beating opponents on the wing with pace and trickery he doesn't have.

I reckon he's similar to Theo in that he'll operate better in a counter attacking set-up.

Gervinho's Forehead
04-11-2012, 02:39 PM
Doesn't look to suited to playing on the left at all. Never takes on his man and isn't direct enough. Should probably play as a striker but really been pissed off with anonymous performances and lack of tracking back over the last 4 games or so.

The most disappointing thing about Podolski over the past month has been that he's barely got involved in matches at all. Most of the time I've forgotton he was on the pitch.

Maybe it is worth trying him more centrally because that's where all his goals so far have come from.

It's so easy to forget he's even there.

Kano
04-11-2012, 03:12 PM
Maybe it is worth trying him more centrally because that's where all his goals so far have come from. I certainly don't expect him to be beating opponents on the wing with pace and trickery he doesn't have.
that's where he played most of his games for cologne or as a second striker/attacking midfielder. for germany plays wide but they have a different, more efficient system than us, so we are losing a lot of his ability sticking him out wide, game after game. if he is played out wide (for those tough away games like utd and city for example), it should be with walcott/ox/gerv on the other side, as lukas will track back and work enough to fill up midfield if needed. using him together with ramsey and giroud leaves us with no break out pace at all.

Syn
04-11-2012, 03:19 PM
I'd try him out wide for a few more games because I like the idea of having a goalscorer out wide. I think Giroud has some a bit of promise in the last few games and I'd keep him up front. For a balanced side, on the other wing we need a proper right-midfielder (not a forward, not a winger, not a central player) and the only one who seems to fit the bill is Oxlade.

Kano
04-11-2012, 03:22 PM
walcott should be that goal scorer out wide (yes i know contract, money yada yada but lets face it, we need goals in the team right now) and preferably someone who can put the ball in, give us that other option. podols will do it in fits and starts out wide but he is a focused, mean german bastard (yes i know he's polish but shut up) in front of goal, so if we feed him enough grenades, he'll bomb the shit out of anyone in front of him.

Syn
04-11-2012, 03:24 PM
I do like the look of

Oxlade---Podolski---Walcott

Just clip it to the corner flag and let England chase.

Shame it'll never happen.

Dennis Bendtner
04-11-2012, 03:37 PM
I don't think Podolski is one of those who is going to look good when the team isn't playing well. So by definition a bit of a fairweather. When the team is playing well and creating chances, he's one of the likelier ones to score them. But obviously he doesn't have the skillset to make chances for himself. Maybe little bit illusionary efficiency. His tracking to help the left-back has gone downhill which is very poor. I would have my doubts over him succeeding upfront but it would mean only one of him and Giroud playing and that'd be good as they have no relationship whatsoever.

Power n Glory
04-11-2012, 03:51 PM
If we want a goal scorer out on the left, I think we should be using Theo on the left so he cuts in. That's if we're not going to play him down the centre.

Mr. Lahey
05-11-2012, 09:18 PM
He was anonymous at the Euros and has pretty much been non-existant to start the season. I expect more from someone who has the club and international experience he has. At least Giroud has been making himself very difficult for defenders when he is not scoring, cant say that much for Podolski. Very troubling to say the least.

Kano
08-11-2012, 09:13 AM
Lukas Podolski admits he would rather play as a central striker for Arsenal

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11670/8234735/Lukas-Podolski-admits-he-would-rather-play-as-a-central-striker-for-Arsenal

everyone being kept happy I see.

Joker
08-11-2012, 09:21 AM
He's right, we should try him out centrally. Too many square pegs in round holes at the moment.

Power n Glory
08-11-2012, 09:27 AM
Well, let's see what Wenger does about it. It's obvious he isn't suited out on the flanks for us and you could tell that from the early games. At least he has spoken up about it.

Xhaka Can’t
08-11-2012, 09:36 AM
I think Wenger is losing the dressing room.

LDG
08-11-2012, 09:42 AM
He's hampered at the moment by not having any support behind him.

Gibbs compliments him, as he hugs the touchline rather than coming inside. Half the reason why he looks more competetent at fullback than Santos, who leaves so much room outside of him.

He may well be more suited centrally, but if you don't have the players that can exploit his finishing, it's utterly pointless....just the same as playing to Giroud's strengths would be to get quality crosses in....which we don't.

The problem, is entirely down to Wenger's philosophy of possession, and how best he feels the team is able to maintain it. And he will forsake a players best, and most natural traits in order to facilitate that.

Lunatic.

Power n Glory
08-11-2012, 09:59 AM
Yep, I think Wenger is losing the dressing the room.

Alpha
08-11-2012, 10:30 AM
Podolski is mainly a striker and should be used as such . He can operate at the left wing and be efficient if he is supported by a good left back . But in our point of view where a left back is always a calamity it means Lukas should be converted as a left back no 2 to limit the damage and hence limit his attacking threat . He is being made to work harder than he should and condemning Arsenal not to fully benefit his ability . Should we sign Messi next time and make him a central defender ?

Xhaka Can’t
08-11-2012, 11:17 AM
Stop stealing my material. :angry:

Kano
08-11-2012, 11:21 AM
He is being made to work harder than he should and condemning Arsenal not to fully benefit his ability.
he should be played centrally but he should still be running his bollocks off no matter where he is positioned. you start the habit of not working hard enough, it becomes a trait that is hard to change. if he was our main striker, then he would need to be dropping deep, drifting wide occasionally, hassling defenders...basically working just as hard as being on the wing.

LDG
08-11-2012, 11:32 AM
he should be played centrally but he should still be running his bollocks off no matter where he is positioned. you start the habit of not working hard enough, it becomes a trait that is hard to change. if he was our main striker, then he would need to be dropping deep, drifting wide occasionally, hassling defenders...basically working just as hard as being on the wing.

Every **** in our side wants to play centrally.

Hang on.

It's not Wengers fault afterall.

Poor man must be tearing his hair out!

Niall_Quinn
08-11-2012, 11:36 AM
This guy is a quality footballer and has tons of heart. You can see it in the way he plays. If we can't get an end product out of Podolski then there needs to be a series of shootings at the club. If only that china doll Rosicky could get fit, if Jack can get a good run in the team, if only we hadn't bought Diaby but a similar player who could stay fit for more than ten minutes. This is the steel we need in the team, the type of players who can drag the rest to a higher and consistent standard.

But there are certain players who must never play. Nothing can work well when some of the parts are completely fucked. You can't have a player like Santos in the team and expect anything good to come from it. We need to drop the mental pretence of being a big club, because we aren't (expect on the balance sheet which has been reserved for the shareholders). We need to realise we are second tier and start getting back to the basics. We need to drop this idea we are Arsenal therefore entitled, you see that shit running through half the players with their flicks and carnival tricks and languid assurance (right before they give the ball away).

Players like Theo Walcott need a massive kick up the arse. He moans and bitches about what he wants. Well here's what we want from him in return. Accurate passing. Accurate crossing. Intelligent running. Yeah, thanks for the 1 in 10 strike rate but we want the simple stuff done properly too. Cazorla, learn to shoot please, learn to cross. Ramsey, see Walcott, the simple stuff please. The next flick on the edge of the box and you get a swift kick in the knackers. Arshavin, don't you have an ounce of pride? Ox, you haven't arrived yet mate - more work to do.

Chamakh, Santos, out of here. You can't have shit like this bringing a group of professionals down.

And somebody needs to block Wenger's internet access and burn his GPS vests. This stupid percentage based approach to football needs to be killed stone dead. I'd rather see us winning 4-0 and losing 4-0 the next week and just letting the numbers go to hell, let the players play with heart rather than sliderules. Just fucking thump the ball into the box and let Giroud barge it into the goal. Enough of this ballet dancing shite, I'd rather be Celtic than Barcelona because at least we could compete at that level.

We just aren't one of the big clubs any more and as soon as we accept that we'll be able to get back to the fundamentals that will allow us to start on the road back to top.

Alpha
08-11-2012, 12:27 PM
Every player on the pitch should work hard to help others out . But when you are made to cover the laziness ," shittness " of other players and pay the price of limiting what you can do to earn some credit can be stressful .

Olivier's xmas twist
08-11-2012, 02:14 PM
Yep, I think Wenger is losing the dressing the room.

Why because all our fowards want to play up front?

Syn
08-11-2012, 02:17 PM
I can't see Wenger playing Podolski up front unless

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mb4h6pqfz21rg5oe6o1_250.gif

gets injured. So he's going to have to man the fuck up. Or leave to Man City in January. Whatever works for him.

Olivier's xmas twist
08-11-2012, 02:25 PM
I can't see Wenger playing Podolski up front unless

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mb4h6pqfz21rg5oe6o1_250.gif

gets injured. So he's going to have to man the fuck up. Or leave to Man City in January. Whatever works for him.

Yeah but he'd have known this when he signed. End of the day had RVP stayed he would not have played up top anyways, but id guess he still would have moaned.

He's been lazy for the last month, so maybe he should focus on improving and stfu.

Power n Glory
08-11-2012, 02:30 PM
Why because all our fowards want to play up front?

Yeah, that's why Charlie. :doh:

Xhaka Can’t
08-11-2012, 02:40 PM
Yeah, that's why Charlie. :doh:

No it isn't!

Sent from my HTC One S using Tapatalk 2

Syn
08-11-2012, 02:41 PM
No it isn't!

Never said it wasn't sent from your HTC One S sing Tapatalk 2.

Olivier's xmas twist
08-11-2012, 02:41 PM
No it isn't!

Never said it was. :coffee:

I just asked a question.

Olivier's xmas twist
08-11-2012, 03:03 PM
Well, let's see what Wenger does about it. It's obvious he isn't suited out on the flanks for us and you could tell that from the early games. At least he has spoken up about it.

What about Theo then, cause not both will play up top so which one, And Wenger won't play 442, which is whay he may need to do. Out of him and Theo. Theo should play up top, least Theo has proven he deserves to.

Power n Glory
08-11-2012, 03:14 PM
As said, let's see what Wenger does next!

Niall_Quinn
08-11-2012, 03:16 PM
What about Theo then, cause not both will play up top so which one, And Wenger won't play 442, which is whay he may need to do. Out of him and Theo. Theo should play up top, least Theo has proven he deserves to.

Erm, no. He really hasn't proved anything at all. He's hinted he might be semi-efficient in the striking role. The differences between Aguero and Walcott were there for all to see the other night. We need a top quality striker if we are going to keep playing the silly brand of tap ball Wenger prefers. Doubt Podolski could fill the role either as I can't see him being very effective playing in isolation. We had a striker who could to the extremely difficult job required but we sold him.

fakeyank
08-11-2012, 03:27 PM
As said, let's see what Wenger does next!

What is the worst thing a human being can do to our team? Whatever comes to your mind, thats what AW will do next..

Letters
08-11-2012, 03:58 PM
What is the worst thing a human being can do to our team? Whatever comes to your mind, thats what AW will do next..
He is literally the worst football manager, arguably the worst human being, currently alive.

GP
08-11-2012, 03:58 PM
He is literally the worst football manager, arguably the worst human being, currently alive.

Invented the Kitten Stomper as well.

Olivier's xmas twist
08-11-2012, 04:17 PM

Does he chick them in bins too?

Xhaka Can’t
08-11-2012, 04:38 PM

Marc Overmars
08-11-2012, 05:04 PM
Quite concerning really how he's already felt the need to publically state his preference to play up front.

The team is a bit of a ramshackle operation really, Wenget is a stubborn fuck to persist with this formation and expect every player to take to it.

IBK
09-11-2012, 11:08 AM
Quite concerning really how he's already felt the need to publically state his preference to play up front.

The team is a bit of a ramshackle operation really, Wenget is a stubborn fuck to persist with this formation and expect every player to take to it.

Not surprising, really, given that on the left he's a bit of a non-entity.

LDG
09-11-2012, 11:27 AM
Not surprising, really, given that on the left he's a bit of a non-entity.

Very few players have the ability to change games on their own. And as such, require other players to create space or play them in.

Wenger's teams are all built to play as a team, with little emphasis on the "superstar" factor. Ok, we've had a fair few game changers throughout the years, but the common denominator of players leaving a la Nasri, Adebayor, Helb etc etc is that they never looked as good for other teams as they did for us.

Basically, the team play and movement, and balance of the side makes the whole team look good, and individuals look better than they are.

Podolski is not Pires / Henry / RVP. He doesn't change things himself. What he does is work hard, and finish clinically. Make intellegent runs and do his job. He is an excellent player, but like many other players, he needs support in order to get the best out of him.

He is lacking the promising partnership he had with Gibbs. He is most dangerous coming inside off the left, to link with Cazorla, with Gibbs providing natural width, thereby creating space to play in. Santos plays the channel, right in the same area that Podolski operates, leaving us exposed down the left, as well as squeezing Cazorla and Podolski. Hence why you see Cazorla trying to find the space out wide, where he is less effective.

All in all, the balance (like last year when we had no fullbacks) has vanished. The play is squeezed, and we're vunerable down the left side.

And the moral? We don't have good enough back up players in the team. We're reliant on a good first eleven, gambling and trusting on other very good, but injury prone players as the back up, and hooing we don't have to use too many of our "second string" who are unreliable, inferior players (when called upon for a sustained period).

We lack quality in depth. And we lack a few players who can change games by themselves.

IBK
09-11-2012, 11:41 AM
Very few players have the ability to change games on their own. And as such, require other players to create space or play them in.

Wenger's teams are all built to play as a team, with little emphasis on the "superstar" factor. Ok, we've had a fair few game changers throughout the years, but the common denominator of players leaving a la Nasri, Adebayor, Helb etc etc is that they never looked as good for other teams as they did for us.

Basically, the team play and movement, and balance of the side makes the whole team look good, and individuals look better than they are.

Podolski is not Pires / Henry / RVP. He doesn't change things himself. What he does is work hard, and finish clinically. Make intellegent runs and do his job. He is an excellent player, but like many other players, he needs support in order to get the best out of him.

He is lacking the promising partnership he had with Gibbs. He is most dangerous coming inside off the left, to link with Cazorla, with Gibbs providing natural width, thereby creating space to play in. Santos plays the channel, right in the same area that Podolski operates, leaving us exposed down the left, as well as squeezing Cazorla and Podolski. Hence why you see Cazorla trying to find the space out wide, where he is less effective.

All in all, the balance (like last year when we had no fullbacks) has vanished. The play is squeezed, and we're vunerable down the left side.

And the moral? We don't have good enough back up players in the team. We're reliant on a good first eleven, gambling and trusting on other very good, but injury prone players as the back up, and hooing we don't have to use too many of our "second string" who are unreliable, inferior players (when called upon for a sustained period).

We lack quality in depth. And we lack a few players who can change games by themselves.

I understand all that - and if I had bothered to elaborate, I would have said that Podolski, like so many other Wenger players is effectively playing outside his natural position - which is a forward - maybe not an out and out front man, but a withdrawn striker. I agre with you that his partnership with Gibbs was allowing him to overlap/come inside but as you rightly say his effectiveness in that position is dependent upon Gibbs being fit - which he often isn't.

Without that specific pairing, Podolski is being asked to be a workhorse, to no real effect. And this is happening all over the pitch. While Wenger insists on putting square pegs in round holes, the team looks unbalanced and disjointed. Like our performances, which once in a blue moon can be astonishing, Wenger's blueprint relies upon all of his first choice players being fit and on form. I mean the basic team set up is reliant on a fit Diaby to work as it should - how ridiculous is that!!???

LDG
09-11-2012, 11:48 AM
I understand all that - and if I had bothered to elaborate, I would have said that Podolski, like so many other Wenger players is effectively playing outside his natural position - which is a forward - maybe not an out and out front man, but a withdrawn striker. I agre with you that his partnership with Gibbs was allowing him to overlap/come inside but as you rightly say his effectiveness in that position is dependent upon Gibbs being fit - which he often isn't.

Without that specific pairing, Podolski is being asked to be a workhorse, to no real effect. And this is happening all over the pitch. While Wenger insists on putting square pegs in round holes, the team looks unbalanced and disjointed. Like our performances, which once in a blue moon can be astonishing, Wenger's blueprint relies upon all of his first choice players being fit and on form. I mean the basic team set up is reliant on a fit Diaby to work as it should - how ridiculous is that!!???

I hear ya bruv!

Niall_Quinn
09-11-2012, 01:27 PM
Santos plays the channel

By that I assume you mean he jogs around the half way line casually observing the huge hole he has left at the back? Fucking awful non-player and anyone within 100 yards of him is going to look a bad player. Fucking, fucking terrible player, Just fucking terrible. He's awful. Total shit. Certainly a panic buy, he induces panic everywhere on the pitch. Basically a really poor player, fucking dreadful, a joke. Shit.

Xhaka Can’t
09-11-2012, 02:17 PM
By that I assume you mean he jogs around the half way line casually observing the huge hole he has left at the back? Fucking awful non-player and anyone within 100 yards of him is going to look a bad player. Fucking, fucking terrible player, Just fucking terrible. He's awful. Total shit. Certainly a panic buy, he induces panic everywhere on the pitch. Basically a really poor player, fucking dreadful, a joke. Shit.

He is like that player that was recommended to Souness who promptly released him one hour into his first practice.

Marc Overmars
09-11-2012, 02:27 PM
Harsh on Ali Dia comparing him to Santos.

Niall_Quinn
09-11-2012, 02:30 PM
He is like that player that was recommended to Souness who promptly released him one hour into his first practice.

Except he's not like him because we passed on the opportunity to release him 5 minutes into his first practice. Wenger is so stubborn.

Letters
09-11-2012, 02:33 PM
By that I assume you mean he jogs around the half way line casually observing the huge hole he has left at the back? Fucking awful non-player and anyone within 100 yards of him is going to look a bad player. Fucking, fucking terrible player, Just fucking terrible. He's awful. Total shit. Certainly a panic buy, he induces panic everywhere on the pitch. Basically a really poor player, fucking dreadful, a joke. Shit.You don't rate him then?

Özim
09-11-2012, 03:07 PM
and all that for a cool 5.6 million :cool:

Another gem uncovered by Wenger....whaddaguy!

bignev
09-11-2012, 03:23 PM
You don't rate him then?

Not sure how you came to that conclusion :)

Fist of Lehmann
09-11-2012, 05:13 PM

A few games having to track back after Santos is enough to make anyone say fuck it.

I can just imagine a Santos/Arshavin axis.

Kano
12-11-2012, 07:56 AM
worth a read

http://www.futfanatico.com/2012/11/07/tactical-analysis-lukas-podolski-arsenal/

Gervinho's Forehead
02-12-2012, 10:46 AM
Podolski does the best impression of the invisible man I've ever seen!

BOBN
02-12-2012, 10:51 AM
as average as I thought he would be. huntelaar would go the same way if we got him.

lazy as fack playstation buy

Power n Glory
02-12-2012, 11:03 AM
The signs were there from the Euros. He's not the sort of wide player that can play for us in a 4-4-3. When things get congested, we need direct wide players that will draw defenders towards them and attract attention so it opens up space in the middle. He doesn't do that and is quite possibly the worst player Wenger has bought to play down that side for the Pires role.

At least playmakers like Rosicky, Nasri and Arshavin were more creative when drifting in field and although they're not direct like Bale or Robben when it comes to dribbling but they at least have the dribbling skills. Pod looks limited on the ball, doesn't dribble and his passing is average at best. I have no idea why we'd buy him and play him out on the left wing. We'd be better off playing Gervinho there because he can at least dribble and often gets the ball to the byline to do cut back moves. It's an odd decision from Wenger.

Xhaka Can’t
02-12-2012, 11:07 AM
Gervinho

This makes me feel sad.

-Xs-
02-12-2012, 11:16 AM
It's an odd decision from Wenger.

Not his first, certainly won't be his last. How much does he actually get right these days?

Olivier's xmas twist
02-12-2012, 11:18 AM
Not his first, certainly won't be his last. How much does he actually get right these days?

Well it is right. You can't play him up top when Giroud and Theo don't want to be there. He is only being played where he always has been.

Poldi has been shite people need to stop hiding behind he has been played in the wrong place rubbish. Tell it for what it is.

Power n Glory
02-12-2012, 11:18 AM
I know, but you have to admit that Gervinho was far more effective down the wings compared to Podolski. But Wenger has lost his mind and thinks he can turn him into a 30 goal a season striker. It's worrying to think that he sold RVP and had Gervinho in mind as his replacement. Giroud was on the bench for a while and had to flaw his way into the team and we don't play his strengths either.

Olivier's xmas twist
02-12-2012, 11:22 AM
I know, but you have to admit that Gervinho was far more effective down the wings compared to Podolski. But Wenger has lost his mind and thinks he can turn him into a 30 goal a season striker. It's worrying to think that he sold RVP and had Gervinho in mind as his replacement. Giroud was on the bench for a while and had to flaw his way into the team and we don't play his strengths either.

TBH mate never wached the game for some strange reason. And yeah it seems Wenger has flipped his lod, which is why i think he'll be gone in the summer.

But i Poldi has been poor and i just think it don't matter where we played him he still would have been poor.

But yeah Gev is not a striker don't play him as one.

Xhaka Can’t
02-12-2012, 11:33 AM

That is the best freudian slip of all time. :lol:

Power n Glory
02-12-2012, 11:35 AM

Olivier's xmas twist
10-12-2012, 11:41 AM
Lukas Podolski remains adamant that stuttering Arsenal can rescue their Premier League campaign - despite only winning five of their opening 15 games.

The 27-year-old Germany international believes it is possible for Arsene Wenger's side to ignite their season and close the gap on the leading pack, but insists they must start improving away from home.

He told the Daily Express: "Right now we don't speak about the title because we are 15 points behind."But football is very quick and you win three or four matches and another loses two or three matches and you are in.

"We have more than 20 matches to go. When you are sixth or seventh in the table, people say you are not so good, or what has happened to Arsenal? When you play 38 matches then you can see.

"We have played a lot of away games where we were the better team but we only got one point. These are the kind of matches that we want to win. We will do this."

The former Cologne star feels he has settled into life in north London well - scoring seven goals in 17 games from the wing.

Although Podolski remains happy with his role, he has made it clear his best position is down the middle.

He said: "I think I have done well but I don't like to speak about me. There are fans who say, 'Podolski score goals, score goals'. But I play on the left side and you must keep tracking back and this is different.

"My best position is in the middle and if I am asked to play there I can do it. I feel comfortable on the left side and I think we won't change now with the system.

"Arsene Wenger is a good coach, he has authority and straight away I can see he helps players with small things to make them better."

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11670/8317423/Lukas-Podolski-says-Arsenal-have-time-to-close-the-gap-on-the-leaders

Özim
10-12-2012, 11:47 AM
Well yeah we can rescue it as we're only 2 points behind and the fight for the top 4 has been pretty poor so far, in another season we'd be a long way behind based on our performance so far.

I hope the fact we're so close to 4th place doesn't stop us investing in January as I think that would be a big mistake.

Gervinho's Forehead
11-12-2012, 10:55 PM
This guy was even anonymous against a fucking league 2 side.

Cripps_orig
11-12-2012, 10:59 PM
Hes shit

Olivier's xmas twist
11-12-2012, 11:01 PM
This guy was even anonymous against a fucking league 2 side.

Yeah can't use the played out of place excuse for him surely not. Tbf we were warned he was lazy and it showed again.

All he does is talk big abit winning the league gets on the pitch and does the opposite.

Özim
Been a huge disappointment to be honest, granted he's been played out of position a lot but he's not really looked dangerous enough.

Olivier's xmas twist
Hes shit

Didn't you say he was quality.

Gervinho's Forehead
11-12-2012, 11:02 PM
Been a huge disappointment to be honest, granted he's been played out of position a lot but he's not really looked dangerous enough.

People say this, but it's the same position he's always played and got 50 goals for Germany in.

Olivier's xmas twist
11-12-2012, 11:04 PM

Nah im sorry that excuse is wearing thin now, he has been poor for a while regardless where he has played. Come on Zimm for all the shite he comes out with you'd expect better (and yes i know who the manager is) Don't remind me.

Gervinho's Forehead
11-12-2012, 11:05 PM
Yeah can't use the played out of place excuse for him surely not. Tbf we were warned he was lazy and it showed again.

All he does is talk big abit winning the league gets on the pitch and does the opposite.

I've not rated him at all since he's been here, massively overhyped and I've not really got the patience for players these days. You either come here and perform or fuck off.

Power n Glory
11-12-2012, 11:06 PM
Shit player!

Özim
11-12-2012, 11:19 PM
Nah im sorry that excuse is wearing thin now, he has been poor for a while regardless where he has played. Come on Zimm for all the shite he comes out with you'd expect better (and yes i know who the manager is) Don't remind me.
True but Germany play a different game, not excusing him anyhow he's been sh*t to be honest, not a threat in front of goal at all.....surprising he has the goal record he has to be honest based on what he's shown.

Olivier's xmas twist
11-12-2012, 11:19 PM
I've not rated him at all since he's been here, massively overhyped and I've not really got the patience for players these days. You either come here and perform or fuck off.

Can't even lie, thought he do ok for us and yeah he looked good when he 1st came to us, but like Santi we are seeing them for what they are bottlers when the going gets tough.

Like you say this is where he has played all his life and for Germany, that excuse can be put to bed now.

Özim
11-12-2012, 11:20 PM
People say this, but it's the same position he's always played and got 50 goals for Germany in.
True, but I thought he was awful in the Euro's didn't seem to do anything from there.

Boss
11-12-2012, 11:22 PM
He's poor in a team that doesn't break at pace, needs to get enough space to swing that left foot.

Need to add more variety in our play.

We have enough decent players, the way we play is just too garbage to get the best out of them.

McNamara That Ghost...
11-12-2012, 11:25 PM
Everyone has to drop so deep to get involved, leaves us nothing for when we eventually get forward. The one thing I thought Wenget always had a handle on - how to build an attack, has gone.

KSE Comedy Club
12-12-2012, 12:23 AM
It's not the individual players that are the problem.

It's the style of play and the way they go about it.

Cazorla is getting the same 'he's shit' treatment which is way off the mark IMO.

They are both good players along with giroud, but they aren't being utilised correctly and they have plenty of average dogshit around them that can't provide them with what they need to be of any use.

If we set the team up around these three and played in a 4-4-2, we'd be seeing a much better game from them.

Also it doesn't help that they've got a twat in charge and a dressing room that is on the brink of civil war.

Olivier's xmas twist
12-12-2012, 12:26 AM
It's not the individual players that are the problem.

It's the style of play and the way they go about it.

Cazorla is getting the same 'he's shit' treatment which is way off the mark IMO.

They are both good players along with giroud, but they aren't being utilised correctly and they have plenty of average dogshit around them that can't provide them with what they need to be of any use.

If we set the team up around these three and played in a 4-4-2, we'd be seeing a much better game from them.

Also it doesn't help that they've got a twat in charge and a dressing room that is on the brink of civil war.

Its not that he does not play very well he does not even try, he is played where he has played all his career so you can't use that excuse. He has been poor and we need to accept that. not let him and Santi get away with it.

Players have to be accountable if not. no point them even going out to play.

KSE Comedy Club
12-12-2012, 12:32 AM
Its not that he does not play very well he does not even try, he is played where he has played all his career so you can't use that excuse. He has been poor and we need to accept that. not let him and Santi get away with it.

He was doing fine when he first got here, full of fight and trying as much as he could, same with Santi.

Do you think they have suddenly been found out as shit players?

Not a chance. This is just further proof that there are major problems in the dressing room. If we played fast counter attacking football, these two would be having a field day. They just aren't used to this slow, sideways passing, plodding shit that they are being told to play now.

BlindFaith_8
12-12-2012, 12:36 AM
I was very dubious when we signed him pre-season, my concern was how can such a good player not be on the radar of Citeh, Cheslki or Man Ure. Perhaps their scouts had seen enough to say he was passed his best, it just troubles me when a so called talented player signs for Arsenal and there is no competition from the above 3 clubs. It seems as though we have seen the best of Podolski.

Grebbo
12-12-2012, 07:29 AM
He's not very good tbh. Has no pace so cannot play as a striker and doesn't have the skill on the ball to get involved much with the build up play. Just an average player of which we have so many.

hobson's choice
12-12-2012, 10:49 AM
I don't know why any of you expected much from him, what exactly has he done at the club level(not international level, which is shit) to warrant any expectations?

Kano
12-12-2012, 11:06 AM
it would help if he wasn't played out of position but there you go.

KSE Comedy Club
12-12-2012, 11:10 AM
it would help if he wasn't played out of position but there you go.

Oh no, apparently he has always played on the wing, throughout his entire career in fact.

He isn't a forward at all, he is a winger.

Olivier's xmas twist
12-12-2012, 11:30 AM
He was doing fine when he first got here, full of fight and trying as much as he could, same with Santi.

Do you think they have suddenly been found out as shit players?

Not a chance. This is just further proof that there are major problems in the dressing room. If we played fast counter attacking football, these two would be having a field day. They just aren't used to this slow, sideways passing, plodding shit that they are being told to play now.

He was shit at Bayern and shite at the Euro's, Berti Vogts warned us he was lazy and has been proved right. Stop making excuses for the players, we tell Wenger not to, so we should stop being hypocrites.

He playes on the left in a front 3 not at left back. End of the day he goes missing for most of games has nout to do with where he is played.

Kano
12-12-2012, 11:32 AM
it has everything to do with his effectiveness on the pitch. sure, his work rate needs to be sorted but i guarantee if he was stuck in the middle instead of that spangly legged spastic gervinho, he would look a lot better.

Marc Overmars
12-12-2012, 11:34 AM
Needs to be played centrally because his impact from wide has been non-existent. All of his goals have come from central areas because that's where he drifts in, meaning he can't work in tandem with Gibbs like a natural winger would.

I don't have much sympathy for him but when Gervinho gets the nod I can understand why he might be frustrated.

He's not the first player and won't be the last to find himself blunt in this rubbish set up with these non-tactics we have.

Olivier's xmas twist
12-12-2012, 11:39 AM
it has everything to do with his effectiveness on the pitch. sure, his work rate needs to be sorted but i guarantee if he was stuck in the middle instead of that spangly legged spastic gervinho, he would look a lot better.

So why did bayern never stick him in the middle?

Kano
12-12-2012, 11:41 AM
perhaps their system, i don't know. if you wanna throw the bayern thing at him, you have to question why you would like KVH here in Jan.

Kano
12-12-2012, 11:44 AM
“I think Podolski will play more central for us”, said Wenger back in the summer

sounds like the theo thing all over again.

Marc Overmars
12-12-2012, 11:51 AM
“I think Podolski will play more central for us”, said Wenger back in the summer

sounds like the theo thing all over again.

He's a mentalist.

He has his formation in mind and works the players around that. Completely inflexible.

Olivier's xmas twist
12-12-2012, 11:53 AM
perhaps their system, i don't know. if you wanna throw the bayern thing at him, you have to question why you would like KVH here in Jan.

Who?

Kano
12-12-2012, 11:55 AM
sorry, meant KJH.

Olivier's xmas twist
12-12-2012, 12:03 PM
sorry, meant KJH.

Don't really want him, id rather get a Tevez, Cavani etc but for £4 mill why not. I know KJH has been poor at ever big club he has been at but for £4 mill for a guy like that is a bargain.

Tezza, I was not talking about effectiveness i agree that Wenger has fucked up not playing him in the middle.

My point was, there seems to be this excuse he can get away with bad performances because he played on the wing. I just think when players are poor they should be called on it. Seems fair to just call Gev and Rambo shit (which they are) How ever allow others to get away with in on the basis of where they play.

I was always taught to so self pride in my work, whether it was my 1st day or last day. Even its in a job you hate. If you do your best then no one can judge your work. Like GF says the guy has gone missing in alot of games. I could understand if he tried real hard but he seems not to.

Why would Berti Vogts and other german coaches call him lazy if it was not true.

Kano
12-12-2012, 12:07 PM
oh i agree, no one, including jack, caz whoever gets anything from me after last night. fuck the lot of them.

however, if we'd of had jenks out the pitch, shit would've been on!

Olivier's xmas twist
12-12-2012, 12:08 PM
oh i agree, no one, including jack, caz whoever gets anything from me after last night. fuck the lot of them.

however, if we'd of had jenks out the pitch, shit would've been on!

Its funny, cause its true, One of the players who actually gives a fuck.

Xhaka Can’t
12-12-2012, 12:09 PM
He'll either stop giving a damn like almost all the rest, or he'll get so frustrated he'll want to leave.

edit: I'm referring to Jenks.

KSE Comedy Club
12-12-2012, 12:20 PM
Don't really want him, id rather get a Tevez, Cavani etc but for £4 mill why not. I know KJH has been poor at ever big club he has been at but for £4 mill for a guy like that is a bargain.

Tezza, I was not talking about effectiveness i agree that Wenger has fucked up not playing him in the middle.

My point was, there seems to be this excuse he can get away with bad performances because he played on the wing. I just think when players are poor they should be called on it. Seems fair to just call Gev and Rambo shit (which they are) How ever allow others to get away with in on the basis of where they play.

I was always taught to so self pride in my work, whether it was my 1st day or last day. Even its in a job you hate. If you do your best then no one can judge your work. Like GF says the guy has gone missing in alot of games. I could understand if he tried real hard but he seems not to.

Why would Berti Vogts and other german coaches call him lazy if it was not true.im not saying he can get away with poor performances, not at all.

But there is a reason why players like him, Santi and giroud are playing shit at the moment, and its not down to them being shit.

Olivier's xmas twist
12-12-2012, 12:21 PM
im not saying he can get away with poor performances, not at all.

But there is a reason why players like him, Santi and giroud are playing shit at the moment, and its not down to them being shit.

I agreed with you post, mostly, just hate to see players get away with it from managers and fans a like. lol's

Gervinho's Forehead
22-12-2012, 02:17 PM
Yet again this **** went missing in the todays game against wigan. Waste of space.

Olivier's xmas twist
22-12-2012, 02:27 PM
Yet again this **** went missing in the todays game against wigan. Waste of space.

Yeah but he is being played of place remember.

Gervinho's Forehead
22-12-2012, 02:31 PM
Yeah but he is being played of place remember.

of course :coffee:

Cripps_orig
22-12-2012, 02:32 PM
Podolskis fine. Done well for his first 6 months

Gervinho's Forehead
22-12-2012, 02:34 PM
I honestly don't know who's the biggest fraud, plod or fraudthorla.

I've not included giroud because he's just shit.

milla
22-12-2012, 02:42 PM

Your face is a fraud. :coffee:

Olivier's xmas twist
22-12-2012, 02:43 PM

Santi shows up in games at least.

Cripps_orig
13-02-2013, 12:58 AM
Arsenal's German striker Lukas Podolski spent his day off going round London in a black cab visiting the city's main tourist spots and taking a picture of himself at every one to share with fans on Twitter.
Full story: 606 podcast

Love this player.

Cripps_orig
25-03-2013, 02:38 PM
Podolski happy to stay at Arsenal despite reported Juventus interest

The Germany international says he is enjoying life in London following his summer move from Koln and has no plans to seek another change of clubs in the coming transfer window

Arsenal forward Lukas Podolski has insisted that he is happy to stay at the Emirates Stadium despite recent speculation linking him with a move to Juventus.

The Germany international arrived at the Emirates Stadium from Koln last summer and has scored eight league goals this season but has recently struggled with an ankle injury.

Podolski says he takes any interest from other clubs as a compliment but insists that he is enjoying life in London and has no plans to make another move in the near future.

"I want to say two things," he told Bild. "Firstly, I cannot help it that clubs are interested in me. And there are always people behind the scenes who want to float something in this business.

"Secondly, any interest makes me proud because it is a recognition of my performance in London. It is unlikely [that I will leave] because, at the club and in the town, I feel really comfortable.

"As a player you have peace and quiet. I appreciate that very much. Therefore, I can honestly say: I am not preparing for any change."

Good news.

Been impressed with him despite Wenger trying to ruin him

BOBN
25-03-2013, 05:09 PM
my performance in London.

These modern players. Yes men coming out of their ears I tell ya.

Grebbo
07-04-2013, 08:41 PM
What's happened to this guy?

Him and the Ox have played sod all this season.

-Xs-
08-04-2013, 02:10 AM

*cue picture of troll face Wenger*

Lord Nelson
08-04-2013, 02:53 PM

It is really strange? Especially as Giroud has gone very quiet up front? Podolski should be playing IMHO.

Marc Overmars
08-04-2013, 02:57 PM
The strangest thing is that Podolski was taken out of the team off the back of some very good performances.

GP
08-04-2013, 02:59 PM
The strangest thing is that Podolski was taken out of the team off the back of some very good performances.

Due to injury.

The only strange thing is he's barely had a kick since he's been back.

We have been winning though...

Özil's Panoramic View
08-04-2013, 03:00 PM
And to think Pods was having a fabulous little spell upon being sidelined....hmmmm, a bit odd this one.

Hate to speculate....well not really....so I'll ask, is he being preserved for the next bout of asset stripping?

Niall_Quinn
08-04-2013, 03:12 PM
And to think Pods was having a fabulous little spell upon being sidelined....hmmmm, a bit odd this one.

Hate to speculate....well not really....so I'll ask, is he being preserved for the next bout of asset stripping?

Asset shaving (not stripping), we don't have much left. Then it will be asset sanding followed by asset condensing. We should be worried most of all when we see Kroenke wandering around with an electron microscope.

Özil's Panoramic View
08-04-2013, 03:16 PM
Asset shaving (not stripping), we don't have much left. Then it will be asset sanding followed by asset condensing. We should be worried most of all when we see Kroenke wandering around with an electron microscope.

Board and Kroenke OUT!

Cripps_orig
13-04-2013, 05:27 AM
LUKAS PODOLSKI fears for his Arsenal future after being frozen out of the first team.
The £11million German striker has not started a game for two months and believes he could be sold by boss Arsene Wenger in the summer.
A source said: “Lukas is very happy at Arsenal, he loves the fans and enjoys living in London but he is increasingly worried that Wenger may have a problem with him.
“He is frustrated at not playing for such a long time. He is an experienced player and he wants to play football.”
Podolski has scored 13 times since his move from Cologne last summer.
But the 27-year-old, who has won 108 international caps, was an unused substitute against West Brom seven days ago and will once again be on the bench for today’s clash with Norwich.
SunSport revealed last month that Juventus and Atletico Madrid are showing an interest in Podolski.

But Turkish giants Galatasaray, who tried to sign him in 2012, are again interested in the forward.
Mega-rich Russian side Anzhi Makhachkala are also keen.
Along with his goals, Podolski has delivered nine Premier League assists, which has put him second on the list behind Chelsea’s Juan Mata.
But it is understood Podolski is desperate to play in a central role — either as an out-and-out striker or in the No 10 role — rather than out on the left.
He was a regular for Arsenal throughout the first half of the season, although he was substituted in his first 16 matches.
Podolski’s first full 90 minutes came in the 2-0 Champions League win over Montpellier on November 21.
And he has drifted out of boss Wenger’s first XI since starting against former club Bayern Munich in the Champions League on February 19, despite scoring in the 3-1 defeat.
Equally, though, Arsenal have won six of their last seven Premier League games.
Wenger’s side are fifth but will move above Spurs into a Champions League spot — with both teams having played 32 games — if they beat the struggling Canaries at the Emirates.
Meanwhile, the Gunners’ England midfielder Jack Wilshere will start against Norwich today after recovering from his latest ankle injury.

Read more: http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/4885820/Lukas-Podolski-fears-for-his-Arsenal-future.html#ixzz2QJn6UOQTits ridiculous.

Xhaka Can’t
13-04-2013, 06:58 AM
its ridiculous.

That he isn't playing?

Or that we've won 6 of our last 7?

GP
13-04-2013, 07:08 AM
A few games on the bench = frozen out?

:rolleyes:

LDG
13-04-2013, 09:06 AM
Some people are stupid :shrug:

KSE Comedy Club
13-04-2013, 10:04 AM
He should be playing, end of.

GP
13-04-2013, 10:19 AM

Great argument.

Xhaka Can’t
13-04-2013, 10:24 AM
Please keep your rebuttals down to a maximum of 6 characters.

GP
13-04-2013, 10:25 AM
fuck yo

Power n Glory
13-04-2013, 11:32 AM
He has a good record but Pod isn't suited to the left wing. When he gets into good positions he'll delivery a good ball or unleash a beast of a shot but we need more from our wingers and he's heavily dependent on someone creating an opportunity for him but proper wingers create opportunities for themselves. Pod rarely takes on his man or dribbles. I think he'd be best used as a number 10 or striker because his goal and assist record is good. He's deadly in an around the box but further back he's not very good and has anonymous streaks. I hope Wenger finds a use for him and doesn't pull an Arsahvin/Chamakh on him.

IBK
13-04-2013, 01:36 PM
He has a good record but Pod isn't suited to the left wing. When he gets into good positions he'll delivery a good ball or unleash a beast of a shot but we need more from our wingers and he's heavily dependent on someone creating an opportunity for him but proper wingers create opportunities for themselves. Pod rarely takes on his man or dribbles. I think he'd be best used as a number 10 or striker because his goal and assist record is good. He's deadly in an around the box but further back he's not very good and has anonymous streaks. I hope Wenger finds a use for him and doesn't pull an Arsahvin/Chamakh on him.

KSE Comedy Club
13-04-2013, 01:45 PM
He has a good record but Pod isn't suited to the left wing. When he gets into good positions he'll delivery a good ball or unleash a beast of a shot but we need more from our wingers and he's heavily dependent on someone creating an opportunity for him but proper wingers create opportunities for themselves. Pod rarely takes on his man or dribbles. I think he'd be best used as a number 10 or striker because his goal and assist record is good. He's deadly in an around the box but further back he's not very good and has anonymous streaks. I hope Wenger finds a use for him and doesn't pull an Arsahvin/Chamakh on him.yep pretty much.

Once again it's down to wengers inability to play players in their best position.

IBK
13-04-2013, 02:02 PM
...and remember he was bought to convince us we'd compensated for RVP. :crying:

Cripps_orig
13-04-2013, 05:30 PM
That he isn't playing?

Or that we've won 6 of our last 7?

Former

Xhaka Can’t
13-04-2013, 05:33 PM
Former

7 out of 8 now.

Were you there?

Cripps_orig
13-04-2013, 05:41 PM
7 out of 8 now.

Were you there?
Not today.

Kano
13-04-2013, 08:11 PM
yep pretty much.

Once again it's down to wengers inability to play players in their best position.
i'd like to see him played as a striker in the middle too.

but i don't think he's ever played wide for germany 108 times

Cripps_orig
13-04-2013, 09:48 PM
Time he was played upfront.

KSE Comedy Club
13-04-2013, 10:09 PM

And yet he seems to score all his goals from a central position.

Time for him to be a proper no 9

GP
13-04-2013, 10:27 PM
He's German and he knows what works.

http://www.arsenal.com/itunes

Özim
14-04-2013, 10:50 AM

TBF was sh*t in the Euros from out wide.

No question his best position is up front, his best skill is finishing.

Marc Overmars
14-04-2013, 10:54 AM
He's a proper striker but his lack of flexibility with where he can be effective means he'll always be the odd man out under Wenget.

Cripps_orig
14-04-2013, 11:36 AM
If he's played upfront, he'll get 20 plus every season. He can do a job on the left should it be required but he should never be a regular there. Giroud has played upfront all season and hasn't impressed. Theo has done more up front than him as well. Podolski and Theo should be our first 2 choices. Giroud as a sub

Kano
14-04-2013, 01:52 PM
TBF was sh*t in the Euros from out wide.

No question his best position is up front, his best skill is finishing.
he has been part of teams that have finished 3/4 since 2004, so he obviously can work out there, as he proven this season too.

but yes, he should be playing upfront as that is where he has played for most of his club career. there, or as CAM.

Cripps_orig
15-04-2013, 12:47 AM
Arsène Wenger has praised Lukas Podolski’s attitude and believes he can be effective as a centre forward.
The Germany international came off the bench to seal Saturday’s 3-1 victory over Norwich City at Emirates Stadium with his 14th goal of the season.
Podolski has been used almost primarily on the left-hand side of Arsenal's attack since his arrival last summer, but Wenger says he can thrive down the middle too.
“Podolski was injured when we played at Bayern and won,” the boss said. “After that, we won at Swansea…sometimes you have periods like that and I think he can play as a central striker as well.
“I work a lot with him as a central striker at the moment. He is a quality player and when he comes on you can see that straight away. You don’t get 100 caps by luck.
“Honestly he has a great attitude. He never moans, he never has a bad phase, he is always positive.
“I had Walcott was on the bench [too]. It’s hard to leave everybody out. Nacho Monreal didn’t play and he played extremely well until now.”
Olivier Giroud was also on target against Norwich, with Wenger full of praise for the striker’s second-half display.
“I think he had a very, very average first half and a very, very positive and influential second half. He was much more in the game in the second half," he said.
“He looked in the first half like he was not on the move when he got the ball. In the second half he was much more mobile and that made a difference.”

So Podolski will have to wait years before he gets to play upfront ala Walcott?

Also Girouds lack of movement hasn't gone unnoticed

Power n Glory
15-04-2013, 06:54 AM
So Podolski will have to wait years before he gets to play upfront ala Walcott?

Also Girouds lack of movement hasn't gone unnoticed

Giroud's lack of movement is a real killer for us. There are plays out there than can have that slow movement but create space for themselves and others with a crafty touch or flick. Giroud just doesn't have that sort of ability. His touches and passing is inconsistent and he's best when on the move.

Nayan
15-04-2013, 07:28 AM
sh*ringham ws never blessed with pace, but that didnt stop him being useful in the box. In fact it meant he didnt turn crap when his pace when - since he never relied on it

Xhaka Can’t
15-04-2013, 07:37 AM
I have no issue with Giroud's work rate and he does bring some things to the table, but it can be painful, the amount of time he needs to turn and get a shot away.

Özim
15-04-2013, 08:49 AM
I have no issue with Giroud's work rate and he does bring some things to the table, but it can be painful, the amount of time he needs to turn and get a shot away.
All good things come to those who wait.