PDA

View Full Version : The Season So Far.....

LDG
03-04-2012, 10:36 AM
We are where we are, and we have seven games left to play. We're in with a chance of third spot.

What I'm trying to assertain is whether this has been a good season or not. It's not necessarily from a results point of view, although that obviously has a bearing on opinion.

We've been very poor in some games, and very good in others.

IMO there is more balance to this side, but the quality is not of the same standard as previous seasons.

We've shown battle and desire in some games, but in others we've not turned up.

We've had horric injury problems, but our main man RVP has stayed fit (keeps fingers crossed) all season.

There seems to be two sides to Arsenal's character. One which can raise itself for games and do the seemingly impossible, and another which whimpers its way to a defeat.

Some people say there are green shoots appearing at the club, some believe that we're just gonna do it the same all over again.

Some want Wenger out, some believe he should stay

I just can't fathom this out, as for me, it's been a real rollercoaster, and a season which has made me fall inlove with the club all over again. I have real faith in most of our players. And whilst they might not be the best in the world, they've shown some real fight to get us back into contention for a top four spot.

Whilst I don't think this should be our soul ambition, it was (realistically) the best outcome for the club when you looked at the state we were in at the start of the campaign.

I don't want this to turn into another Wenger In/Out thread, nor a reason to re-itterate long-held views about players. What would benice to hear, is whether you feel any encouragement, or whether this season has left you feeling the same way last season did?? I mean despite obvious frailties, poor showings and some humiliating defeats, I still feel very positive as a Gooner once again off the back of this year....having nearly chucked myself under a train after th first few games (and off the back of last years depressing end).

So, I guess, I'm asking whether this season has given you hope, or whether it has left you in the same depression / anger / embarrassment the previous season left us with.....

Fats
03-04-2012, 10:47 AM
yes

Marc Overmars
03-04-2012, 10:50 AM
Some good, some bad, some down right ugly.

Same as any recent Arsenal season really.

Ultimately we are where we always are. No trophies but comfortably in the top 4. Sure, some performances have left me thinking this team is ready to kick on, but then I've felt the same in previous seasons as well only to realise its another damp squib. I'll always hope for the best but whether I believe it will ever happen for Wenger again is another matter.

GP
03-04-2012, 10:51 AM
Some good, some bad, some down right ugly.

Same as any recent Arsenal season really.

Same as your face lol

Grebbo
03-04-2012, 12:21 PM
If we get third then it's been a great season considering our squad. Wenger would have over achieved.

Flavs
03-04-2012, 12:38 PM
Weirdly i think if we had Fabregas in our midfield this year we would be right in the title hunt

A bloody awful season in parts and a fine one in others. We will always have the milan game :upset:

Fist of Lehmann
03-04-2012, 01:00 PM
Weirdly i think if we had Fabregas in our midfield this year we would be right in the title hunt Interesting. What about if we'd had Wilshere?

Flavs
03-04-2012, 01:11 PM
Interesting. What about if we'd had Wilshere?

not so much, he is a bit shit tbh

fakeyank
03-04-2012, 01:23 PM
Made me feel the same as every season since the move to Emirates. Display of promise and then the impending crash.

Positives this season: RVP, Szczesny, Song, Kos

Negatives: Arsene Wenger, Injuries, Gervinho, Arsene Wenger, Our subs, our transfer activity, Arsene Wenger

When we are judged at the end of the season, we will still be where we were end of last season.. with worse players. We need a major overhaul at the club.. there is no buzz around the club.. pretty much going through the motions.

LDG
03-04-2012, 01:27 PM
Made me feel the same as every season since the move to Emirates. Display of promise and then the impending crash.

Positives this season: RVP, Szczesny, Song, Kos

Negatives: Arsene Wenger, Injuries, Gervinho, Arsene Wenger, Our subs, our transfer activity, Arsene Wenger

When we are judged at the end of the season, we will still be where we were end of last season.. with worse players. We need a major overhaul at the club.. there is no buzz around the club.. pretty much going through the motions.

No buzz? Really?

I think there's been a massive buzz about the place just recently.

IBK
03-04-2012, 01:32 PM
What this season has shown us so far is that we are pretty much in the same place that we have been in for the past 5 years. We have a squad of talented players who lack a) the consistency and b) the star quality needed to do more than challenge for 3rd or 4th place.

Of course, we have a captain who has been both consistent and represents our only player with true star quality, but its clear that he is worn out - and can't be expected to win games almost single-handedly as he was earlier in the season.

I disagree strongly with those who say that we lack talent in our team. IMO the only team in the league with more talent in it is Citeh. We have a few players likely to develop into true stars - Oxlade; Szceszny; Wilshere and Gibbs to name four - and decent players in almost every position. You don't go on winning runs like we have done without talent. And you don't get some of the results we have got without togetherness and fight.

What we lack at times is focus and discipline - and that is frustrating as hell.

Its easy to be over critical. There isn't a team in the league that has not had a shocking result or 2 this season. For all our gnashing of teeth over Milan away remember that the two top teams in the country played Thursday night football and don't any more. For all the disappointment of last Saturday, we are still above the team people have been creaming over all season. For all the money at their disposal Citeh are doing a good job of emulating us in 2008. United are being carried over the line, as always, by the most exceptional manager this country has ever seen.

So taken as a whole, it hasn't been a bad season. It feels worse because there is such strong reason to believe that this is as good as its going to get under the current regime.

Letters
03-04-2012, 01:43 PM
there is no buzz around the club..

I don't know how you assess that but there's definitely been a buzz in the crowd recently, a real feeling that this lot are playing for each other, playing for the shirt and heading in the right direction. You get more player chants than there used to be, an indication that the connection between fan and player, so lamentably lacking at times in the last few seasons, is coming back.

This has been a ridiculous roller-coaster of a season which has at times been very depressing and at others fantastic. But you need the lows to appreciate the highs. As for whether it's been a good season. If we finish in the top 4 after our start and the events of last summer then yes, I think it will have been. If we collapse again now and don't then not so much.

Letters
03-04-2012, 01:44 PM
No buzz? Really?

Definitely. Anyone who has been to games recently will have felt that. (That's not a dig at you FY, I know you can't get there for obvious reasons but there has been a real buzz at the Emirates of late)

Japan Shaking All Over
03-04-2012, 02:14 PM
What this season has shown us so far is that we are pretty much in the same place that we have been in for the past 5 years. We have a squad of talented players who lack a) the consistency and b) the star quality needed to do more than challenge for 3rd or 4th place.

Of course, we have a captain who has been both consistent and represents our only player with true star quality, but its clear that he is worn out - and can't be expected to win games almost single-handedly as he was earlier in the season.

I disagree strongly with those who say that we lack talent in our team. IMO the only team in the league with more talent in it is Citeh. We have a few players likely to develop into true stars - Oxlade; Szceszny; Wilshere and Gibbs to name four - and decent players in almost every position. You don't go on winning runs like we have done without talent. And you don't get some of the results we have got without togetherness and fight.

What we lack at times is focus and discipline - and that is frustrating as hell.

Its easy to be over critical. There isn't a team in the league that has not had a shocking result or 2 this season. For all our gnashing of teeth over Milan away remember that the two top teams in the country played Thursday night football and don't any more. For all the disappointment of last Saturday, we are still above the team people have been creaming over all season. For all the money at their disposal Citeh are doing a good job of emulating us in 2008. United are being carried over the line, as always, by the most exceptional manager this country has ever seen.

So taken as a whole, it hasn't been a bad season. It feels worse because there is such strong reason to believe that this is as good as its going to get under the current regime.

Good Post Ice as most of your posts are anyway

I would add that I think that we have the base of a good team and can improve on that we some shrewd business this summer - but I wont because when I do, I get accused of talking the same shit ad in previous years.

I truely believe that whether it is under Wenger or not we can be even more of a threat with a definite statement in the transfer market, I have said before that, yes we have had some seriously bad moments this year but why should we thonk we are shit when we stand third in the country, on the same points as the team that people were splaffing their pants about as been the new pretenders?

I have read that a result against Citeh will set up our clash with Chelsea as the battle for fourth, it may do but why should we be thinking of fourth when we are third. Why do people right us off at a drop of a hat, call us shit after our first league loss in 8 games?
Am I happy with the season, no cos we didnt win anything but yes cos we have shown a stronger appreciation of what it takes to be a team. Consistency is needed as well as some needed talent in certain positions then we may dare to believe again.. . . .or even buzz a little

Cripps_orig
03-04-2012, 05:05 PM
If it was a one off season then id say its been ok to decent

However its the same old shit as previous season so its been a shocker. We've had a couple of good runs in October and March but far too little to make it a good season.

You know how they say teams going for trophies always have a bad patch sometime in the season like Spuds have recently, we have had a bad season with a good patch for 7 years in a row

Power n Glory
03-04-2012, 07:00 PM
I can't really judge until the summer has passed and gone. We need consistency on the field and in our approach to each game but we the squad needs to remain consistent. No more cutting and changing. Losing Cesc and the injury to Wilshere has really disrupted our play and in a season where we finally have players on both flanks that can run at defenders and stretch play. For years, we've struggled with width because we've had Arshavin and Nasri out playing wide and pushing into the centre which makes everything congested. We haven't had that problem this year because we've had Theo, Gervinho, Ox as well as Gibbs and Santos on the left helping on attack. There has been a real improvement in that area. But it comes at a point where our central midfield has been weakened and we've missed Cesc, a player that can make those unmarked runs into the box from deep.

But anyway, for me, it all depends on the summer. If we keep the squad together and add more key players into the squad, then we're heading in the right direction. But we can't afford to lose more key players from the first team. This team has to gel and we need to be in a position where all areas are solid. We finally have a good goalkeeper, let's keep it that way. Our defence is still shaky, but nowhere near as bad as they were last season. We need to keep them together. The same goes for the midfield and attack. The constant chopping and changing just sets us back a year or two and we need to have an established first team. If we lose another key player this summer, it's a hammer blow to the players confidence and we'll end up going in circles. We need to get it right this summer and that's what I'm waiting to see. The players have to feel confident going into the next season.

fakeyank
03-04-2012, 07:54 PM
No buzz? Really?

IMO we have this buzz every season when we put an unbeaten run. Yes, we had great wins against spurs and milan just like how we had great wins against Barca and Chelsea last season or the run to the CC final.

Özim
03-04-2012, 08:11 PM
Being out of all competitions by February is very poor to be honest, I personally don't think it's been a good season, 3rd/4th place is all very good but it's been that way every season for 6 years now as someone says it's where we always are and I don't really value that very highly.

Best win of the season by far for me was the win against Spurs, but derbies can throw up unexpected results however we did play very well in that game. The Chelsea win was good but let's face it Chelsea have been really poor for much of the season, they're on a downard spiral and needs some major changes themselves. Good win against Liverpool but in the league they've been a no-show surprisingly.

I've seen all this before to be honest, we're either in the hunt and totally collapse, or drop out of everything and put a decent run together convincing Wenger his team is 2% away from domination, I can see very little changes in the summer and a similar season next season to be honest.

Wenger's shown in the last 6 years he's incapable of delivering a winning team, he took a massive gamble on RVP's fitness and it worked out but let's be honest here that's pure luck, as much as I like the guy he's not managed to stay fit for years, take him out of the equation and where would we be?

All in all not a great season IMO.

Ollie the Optimist
03-04-2012, 09:30 PM
from a fans point of view, this has been the best season since 2006. some horrific moments in there but some amazing highs. take milan for example, lost 4-0 and hten came within inches of coming back. the scum game, the chav game, even the man city away game made me feel proud.

ive said it before and ill say it again, this is a different arsenal team to recent ones, one with fight, pride and above all they know what it means to wear the shirt. these players are not ones who will quit for moeny, thye are ones who will stay and win for us because they are us. not nasris etc, but leaders and winners and one as a fan i love.

ive really enjoyed this seaon as a fan, its been brilliant, the stand out moment being henry scoring hte winner against leeds. that was one of footballs best moments to me.

Cripps_orig
03-04-2012, 09:32 PM
from a fans point of view, this has been the best season since 2006. some horrific moments in there but some amazing highs. take milan for example, lost 4-0 and hten came within inches of coming back. the scum game, the chav game, even the man city away game made me feel proud.

ive said it before and ill say it again, this is a different arsenal team to recent ones, one with fight, pride and above all they know what it means to wear the shirt. these players are not ones who will quit for moeny, thye are ones who will stay and win for us because they are us. not nasris etc, but leaders and winners and one as a fan i love.

ive really enjoyed this seaon as a fan, its been brilliant, the stand out moment being henry scoring hte winner against leeds. that was one of footballs best moments to me.

Getting knocked out by Milan is a high for you?

Cripps_orig
03-04-2012, 09:33 PM
Interesting. What about if we'd had Wilshere?Doesnt score enough and IIRC didnt assist much either.

Glorified Arteta tbh

Ollie the Optimist
03-04-2012, 09:34 PM
Getting knocked out by Milan is a high for you?

no the performance of the 3-0 win was a high

Cripps_orig
03-04-2012, 09:36 PM
no the performance of the 3-0 win was a highWe did indeed play brilliantly for the first half but ultimately its a 2 legged tie and that cant be forgotten and in 3 of the 4 halves, we were a bit shit and that takes precedence over one half of football no matter how good we were

Letters
03-04-2012, 09:38 PM
We did indeed play brilliantly for the first half but ultimately its a 2 legged tie and that cant be forgotten and in 3 of the 4 halves, we were a bit shit and that takes precedence over one half of football no matter how good we were

At least 60,000 people disagree with you. It was a fantastic night and the atmosphere during the game and the reception the players got at the end showed that the people there appreciated the effort and performance that evening.

Ollie the Optimist
03-04-2012, 09:38 PM
We did indeed play brilliantly for the first half but ultimately its a 2 legged tie and that cant be forgotten and in 3 of the 4 halves, we were a bit shit and that takes precedence over one half of football no matter how good we were

so what? in the home game, there was so much pride from the lads to play for us, that game although we lost overall made me happy and proud. games like that, chelsea, scum make me proud to be a gooner. fuck trophies, i just a club i love, the players love and one that im actually dam proud of and we all fight as one to win. thats whats happened this seaosn, i would rather that then a carling cup or fa cup. just how i feel

fakeyank
03-04-2012, 09:43 PM
Actually when I think about it... we had a major buzz in this season and that was when TH14 came back. His goals against Leeds and Sunderland were probably the best moments in the last 6 seasons since the run to CL final in 06.

Rest of the season is a 'meh'... same old shit, just a different day.

Cripps_orig
03-04-2012, 09:43 PM
At least 60,000 people disagree with you. It was a fantastic night and the atmosphere during the game and the reception the players got at the end showed that the people there appreciated the effort and performance that evening.Fantastic 45 minutes.

We were a bit shit in the 2nd half as we ran out of steam. Wenger did his work well at half time.

Nevertheless beating the Mighty AC 3-0 is pretty impressive albeit in a meaningless game and thats not to be knocked. Wouldnt particularly have it as a high of this season but then there havent been many highs at all for me personally.

Letters
03-04-2012, 09:46 PM
I'll ignore the WUMming. Yeah, we did run out of steam a bit but it was always going to be a big ask.
It was one of the highs this year for me despite going out on the night.
It's been such a roller-coaster of a season. If we finish top 4 it will have exceeded expectations after the car crash of a summer and early season. If we keep RvP, get rid of the deadwood and sign some decent players to bolster the squad then next year could be a decent one. If not then it'll be another frustrating season next year.

Ollie the Optimist
03-04-2012, 09:46 PM
Fantastic 45 minutes.

We were a bit shit in the 2nd half as we ran out of steam. Wenger did his work well at half time.

Nevertheless beating the Mighty AC 3-0 is pretty impressive albeit in a meaningless game and thats not to be knocked. Wouldnt particularly have it as a high of this season but then there havent been many highs at all for me personally.

yeah but you dont get any highs from football because you moan the whole fucking time. you are the type of person to aruge wining the league unbeaten wasnt great because most of the teams where shit and only united were challengers. you always expect us to lose, always seem to hope we lose so you can slate wenger and the team.

Cripps_orig
03-04-2012, 09:48 PM
so what? in the home game, there was so much pride from the lads to play for us, that game although we lost overall made me happy and proud. games like that, chelsea, scum make me proud to be a gooner. fuck trophies, i just a club i love, the players love and one that im actually dam proud of and we all fight as one to win. thats whats happened this seaosn, i would rather that then a carling cup or fa cup. just how i feelSo what? We lost, thats so what.

All this pride stuff, people can, as a great man once said "stick it up their bollocks".

I want a team that i can be proud of, that doesnt continuously embarrass the fans, that gives value for money. None of that has happened this season.

Losing big games by big margins shows a lack of mental toughness. Thank fuck Chelsea and more so Liverpool have been shite this season as well

Cripps_orig
03-04-2012, 09:51 PM
If we keep RvP, get rid of the deadwood and sign some decent players to bolster the squad then next year could be a decent one. If not then it'll be another frustrating season next year.We say that every end of season/summer though. Swap RVP for Cesc and then Vieira before that.

There comes a point when enough is enough and its time for a change.

At what point will it be enough for you?

Cripps_orig
03-04-2012, 09:53 PM
yeah but you dont get any highs from football because you moan the whole fucking time. you are the type of person to aruge wining the league unbeaten wasnt great because most of the teams where shit and only united were challengers. you always expect us to lose, always seem to hope we lose so you can slate wenger and the team.

3 time winner of the most optimistic poster on GW would suggest differently. Everyone on here, well the old timers knew how optimistic i was about Arsenal all the way up to April 2010 and that game v Wigan where it just reached a point where i realised we arent going anywhere.

Ollie the Optimist
03-04-2012, 09:53 PM
We say that every end of season/summer though. Swap RVP for Cesc and then Vieira before that.

well because there seems to be something different this year. its a 99% done deal with podolski and pretty sure yann m'vila is coming too, with some other siginings too. wenger seems to be getting transfer deals done early. ive said before, keep this squad, lose the deadwood, 3/4 sigings and there will be a title challenge next year.

Ollie the Optimist
03-04-2012, 09:54 PM
3 time winner of the most optimistic poster on GW would suggest differently. Everyone on here, well the old timers knew how optimistic i was about Arsenal all the way up to April 2010 and that game v Wigan where it just reached a point where i realised we arent going anywhere.

yep then it became the fashion to bash wenger so you though to join in the crowd you would too cos it would annoy people and you could wum

Cripps_orig
03-04-2012, 09:55 PM
yep then it became the fashion to bash wenger so you though to join in the crowd you would too cos it would annoy people and you could wumIf i was WUMming...id be going against the grain and actually defending Wenger. Its the people who constantly support him no matter what who are the WUMs

Cripps_orig
03-04-2012, 09:59 PM
well because there seems to be something different this year. its a 99% done deal with podolski and pretty sure yann m'vila is coming too, with some other siginings too. wenger seems to be getting transfer deals done early. ive said before, keep this squad, lose the deadwood, 3/4 sigings and there will be a title challenge next year.No way in hell we are spending £17m on this Aston David M'okay Villa geezer so count him out.

RVP is gone this summer. If he was going to stay, he'd have signed already.

Podolski is a start but we need more, much more

Letters
03-04-2012, 10:07 PM
We say that every end of season/summer though. Swap RVP for Cesc and then Vieira before that.

My fear has always been that we'll get worse after Wenger. And please don't say it couldn't get any worse, we're 3rd!
When we were languishing in 7th I got to the point where I thought we didn't have much to lose. We looked like a very ordinary side, I wasn't enjoying watching them and it seemed certain RvP would leave in the summer and that we'd need some serious rebuilding. More recently in our good run I've seen something in the team which gives me more hope. We've hauled ourselves into the top 4, played good football and the players looked like they cared about the club and results. Right now it looks like something we can build on.

I accept there have been plenty of false dawns before and that we have failed to build on promising teams before.
I guess we'll see whether last weekend's result is the start of a 3rd and final poor run of the season or just a blip in an otherwise strong finish to the season.

Letters
03-04-2012, 10:12 PM
If i was WUMming...id be going against the grain and actually defending Wenger. Its the people who constantly support him no matter what who are the WUMs

Come on Ach. You always take the extreme opinion and stick rigidly to it no matter what happens. That is what makes you a WUM. The fact you've changed that extreme from pro-Wenger to anti is neither here nor there.

No-one on here has constantly supported Wenger. At best there are people (I'm one of them) who are uncertain what's for the best.

Cripps_orig
03-04-2012, 10:16 PM
My fear has always been that we'll get worse after Wenger. And please don't say it couldn't get any worse, we're 3rd!
When we were languishing in 7th I got to the point where I thought we didn't have much to lose. We looked like a very ordinary side, I wasn't enjoying watching them and it seemed certain RvP would leave in the summer and that we'd need some serious rebuilding. More recently in our good run I've seen something in the team which gives me more hope. We've hauled ourselves into the top 4, played good football and the players looked like they cared about the club and results. Right now it looks like something we can build on.

I accept there have been plenty of false dawns before and that we have failed to build on promising teams before.
I guess we'll see whether last weekend's result is the start of a 3rd and final poor run of the season or just a blip in an otherwise strong finish to the season.We might get worse, i agree. We might also get better though and im an optimistic guy so thats the way i think.

Think its time we took that risk and go from there.

Cripps_orig
03-04-2012, 10:22 PM
Come on Ach. You always take the extreme opinion and stick rigidly to it no matter what happens. That is what makes you a WUM. The fact you've changed that extreme from pro-Wenger to anti is neither here nor there.

No-one on here has constantly supported Wenger. At best there are people (I'm one of them) who are uncertain what's for the best.I'll admit i can and have been the WUM when talking about Wenger especially with the calling him a **** or whatever but i do think its time Wenger went unless he changes his ways and he wont do that.

What we've seen this season is something we've seen each season for years. We've stagnated and its only a matter of time before we go backwards

She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
03-04-2012, 10:23 PM
:haha: anyone who says this has been a great season is having a fucking laugh.

out of all competitions in march and another trophyless season. same mistakes happening over and over again. our worst start in 50 odd years.

get a grip.

Letters
03-04-2012, 10:33 PM
:haha: anyone who says this has been a great season is having a fucking laugh.

Has anyone said that?

Cripps_orig
03-04-2012, 10:36 PM
Has anyone said that?

ive really enjoyed this seaon, its been brilliant,

He did

She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
03-04-2012, 10:39 PM
:haha: :haha: :haha:

GP
03-04-2012, 10:40 PM
Has anyone said that?

Literally no one.

Marc Overmars
03-04-2012, 10:42 PM
This season has clearly not been brilliant or anything of the sort. It's been run of the mill and in keeping with what we reguarly produce. Some dreadful performances that leaves everyone thinking we're fucked. Then some terrific form that has us all wondering what the future may hold. We've seen it all before and my biggest problem is that despite everything we're still no closer to knowing what the fuck is going on at the club and what direction the team is heading in.

She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
03-04-2012, 10:43 PM
:haha: :haha: :haha: idiots

Cripps_orig
03-04-2012, 10:44 PM
This season has clearly not been brilliant or anything of the sort. It's been run of the mill and in keeping with what we reguarly produce. Some dreadful performances that leaves everyone thinking we're fucked. Then some terrific form that has us all wondering what the future may hold. We've seen it all before and my biggest problem is that we're still no closer to knowing what the fuck is going on at the club and what direction the team is heading in.Same old shit, different season

Japan Shaking All Over
04-04-2012, 12:21 AM
Actually when I think about it... we had a major buzz in this season and that was when TH14 came back. His goals against Leeds and Sunderland were probably the best moments in the last 6 seasons since the run to CL final in 06.

Rest of the season is a 'meh'... same old shit, just a different day.

Yeah it was great to see TH14 back and with match winning goals to boot. . .but I am going to stick my neck out and say his comeback was one of the more confusing moments of the season.

For me. . .using the January window only to procure Henry was a mistake. . .especially when we knew he would only stay a short time. . .we had been slumping badly and for me the move came across as a publicity stunt that thankfully bore some fruit. . .I mean say Henry didnt score those goals, and we continued to lose. . .I think we just left ourselves short by not bringing in cover for RvP, I mean there might not have been anyone of super quality?

We got lucky, RvP is injury free :touch wood: Henry did come back and did score :fu#king legend: third in the league :boyz have pulled through: Wenger has the grin on :times I would like to smack it off:

Letters
04-04-2012, 06:45 AM
He did

:lol: There's always one. And it's always him!
I don't think anyone else has though. I've enjoyed bits of it and not others. Overall if we finish top 4 it will have been a decent season given the expectations we had early season. It would be something to build on. But we've been here before so whether we will or not...I choose to remain optimistic!

Flavs
04-04-2012, 07:24 AM
Good Post Ice as most of your posts are anyway

Oh you fucking brown nose

Fats
04-04-2012, 08:11 AM
Our season was wrecked by a niave and shambollick pre season. We didnt have the players available to make any kind of inroads to the CL places. The CL places are the target lets not forget. Winning anything was a bonus as it always will be with this regime. The arrogance shown by the board and or manager was frankly amature and they simply have to take the blame fully on their shoulders. The policies at the club seem to be based on arrogance and luck, not good management or organization. The season could have ended up a complete shambles. We panic bought players at the very last minute. We have bought more trash again and we have also loaned out players at a time we could not have afforded to do so.

On the field its progressed from the start but we are no stronger than we were and should be.

I have said it before and I will say it again. We will win nothing under Wenger anymore. He has lost his desire to win. His romance with playing the beautiful game has surpassed that desire for titles and glory.

We do need a change of regime and someone with a winning atitude and desire. It may mean we dont challenge for a season or two but we have lived with that for 7 long pointless seasons so its no hardship as long as we bite the bullet and see forward movement.

This has been a waste of a season IMO due to stupidity. For those who say Wenger is not a stupid man you really need to look back over the last 12 months and his decisions to see he is.

Japan Shaking All Over
04-04-2012, 08:24 AM
Oh you fucking brown nose

Fuck you!
The cherry blossom is finally blooming - full on love fest going on over here!
Give it a couple weeks and I'll be back to hating ever one of ya!

Letters
04-04-2012, 08:37 AM
He has lost his desire to win.

Rubbish! The ability to maybe, in the modern game, but anyone looking at his reactions when we're going through a bad run can see how much it hurts him. He clearly wants us to win desperately.

Flavs
04-04-2012, 09:10 AM
Same season as before really. Same old whinging twat fans, same old pathetic foriegn "fans" whining about how the club is shit and the fans are piss poor, same old left over glory hunters moaning we haven't won anything again, same old ridiculous substitutions from a has been manager, same old bizarre tactical decisions at silly times, same old injury after injury after injury and same old flattering to decieve.

Same old glory days out with great wins, same old comebacks against scum bastard teams, same old great promise with unfulfilled dreams, same old startling youngsters and tired legs, same old price hikes at the emirates, same old old guys living on nostalgia, same old media obsession with sticking the knife in and scandalising every small thing, same old ruining of the squad players by the manager, same old greedy bastard players/agents.

Same old FA/UEFA/FIFA, same old shit refereeing, same old sky ruining football, same old newly promoted teams reminding the EPL that there is football beyond the top 4, same old joke of a champions league, same old league clubs going bankrupt while teams sign players on £200k a week, same old nothing ever changes.

Same old football really.

Japan Shaking All Over
04-04-2012, 09:50 AM
Same season as before really. Same old whinging twat fans, same old pathetic foriegn "fans" whining about how the club is shit and the fans are piss poor, same old left over glory hunters moaning we haven't won anything again, same old ridiculous substitutions from a has been manager, same old bizarre tactical decisions at silly times, same old injury after injury after injury and same old flattering to decieve.

Same old glory days out with great wins, same old comebacks against scum bastard teams, same old great promise with unfulfilled dreams, same old startling youngsters and tired legs, same old price hikes at the emirates, same old old guys living on nostalgia, same old media obsession with sticking the knife in and scandalising every small thing, same old ruining of the squad players by the manager, same old greedy bastard players/agents.

Same old FA/UEFA/FIFA, same old shit refereeing, same old sky ruining football, same old newly promoted teams reminding the EPL that there is football beyond the top 4, same old joke of a champions league, same old league clubs going bankrupt while teams sign players on £200k a week, same old nothing ever changes.

Same old football really.

Same old Flavs

LDG
04-04-2012, 09:54 AM
:lol:

Ollie the Optimist
04-04-2012, 10:12 AM
:lol: There's always one. And it's always him!

let me clarify my point. i said its been brilliant from my point of view as a fan. i have loved this season because for me there was been something different, yes there have been awful lows but then there have been some amazing highs. i feel different this year supporting the team because i feel like they are my team not players playing for my team. where we are at now should be higher for a club our size but for me this season has been brilliant imo, always enjoyed the games not knowing what to expect and just loved it as a fan. football should have been better and summer too etc etc not arguing that, just saying that i have loved this season as a fan, in that way its been brilliant

IBK
04-04-2012, 02:26 PM
let me clarify my point. i said its been brilliant from my point of view as a fan. i have loved this season because for me there was been something different, yes there have been awful lows but then there have been some amazing highs. i feel different this year supporting the team because i feel like they are my team not players playing for my team. where we are at now should be higher for a club our size but for me this season has been brilliant imo, always enjoyed the games not knowing what to expect and just loved it as a fan. football should have been better and summer too etc etc not arguing that, just saying that i have loved this season as a fan, in that way its been brilliant

You don't have to justify yourself, Ollie. Football's an objective thing and you are entitled to your opinion.
While I wouldn't go so far as to say that the season has been brilliant, some aspects have IMO been mouch more enjoyable than in previous seasons. Having a captain who wants to play for the club has been refreshing, as has not having our best players continually linked elsewhere as has happened for a few seasons now. Having players who (usually) look like they give a fuck and have some balls has been nice. The energence of Oxlade and rennaisance of Theo and Rosicky has been good to see.

Hasn't made the lows any easier - but it sure as hell has felt good, and different, to see.

Funnily enough, I feel the same as JSAO re Henry. Legend and all that and his goals were appreciated, but I found his re-introduction a bit depressing for all that, in terms of what it said about us as a club. About the strikers the manager has bought behind RVP. Scholes and Giggs are different at Manure because they remain sharp enough for the league. For all I love him, seeing Henry as a bit of a shadow of his former self was a bit sad.

Fats
04-04-2012, 03:00 PM
Rubbish! The ability to maybe, in the modern game, but anyone looking at his reactions when we're going through a bad run can see how much it hurts him. He clearly wants us to win desperately.

but he wants to win it with his blind morals intact. What I mean is, as much as Maureen is a contemptable prick, he does what is needed to win no matter what. In no way would Wenger do that even if the league depended on it.

Grebbo
04-04-2012, 05:58 PM
I think one of the main differences this season is our football has been pretty shit.

Even when we were winning fuck all for the past few years I can think of many times when we murdered Pool/Manure etc and many other teams (but usually didn't win). Remember that game a few years ago when Diaby scored an OG at Manure? We dicked all over them, they virtually didn't have a touch.

This season the football has very very rarely been special.

I always thought, with the way we used to play (and the players we had), a couple more players would have seen us win something. Now I think we need 4-5 players to win something.

Cripps_orig
04-04-2012, 06:09 PM
Diaby and that OG :haha:

How the fuck is he still here?

Hes done nothing since to make up for that

Wenger has to be sacked just for that surely?

Marc Overmars
04-04-2012, 06:13 PM
I was at that Manc game.

Played them off the park then Diaby does what Diaby does best. :doh:

Cripps_orig
04-04-2012, 06:17 PM
I was at that Manc game.

Played them off the park then Diaby does what Diaby does best. :doh:And some people on GW, i wont name any names, blamed Almunia for that goal :haha:

Dennis Bendtner
04-04-2012, 06:31 PM
http://i30.tinypic.com/2dj5kxy.gif

:haha:

Shaqiri Is Boss
04-04-2012, 06:42 PM
I think it's encouraging how well he lost his marker.

Letters
04-04-2012, 06:52 PM

:lol: Pick that one out.

fakeyank
04-04-2012, 07:22 PM

I remember this is the game where we scored the last minute off side goal.. AW kicked a bottle and got sent to the stands.

Jesus amongst mere mortals :bow:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/robborobson/wenger_standsAP595335.jpg

Coney
04-04-2012, 07:25 PM
I remember this is the game where we scored the last minute off side goal.. AW kicked a bottle and got sent to the stands.

Jesus amongst mere mortals :bow:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/robborobson/wenger_standsAP595335.jpg

Alright - I am the messiah! Now fuck off.

Olivier's xmas twist
04-04-2012, 08:07 PM
:haha: :haha: :haha: idiots

Is there a need to call people idiots.

Olivier's xmas twist
04-04-2012, 08:15 PM
IMO in someways its been a better season the last season. This year i felt we had players who wanted to play for the team and who have worked hard compared to last season. Only thing is we missed a lot of quality and our football was not good as it has been. Team spirt has been fanatastic tbh the the lads have done us proud compared to last season.

I never thought we do better then 4th this season so if we finish 3rd then it would be an achievment.

I think this is a season of regret though, i mean if onnly we did not fuck aroud with the Cesc and Nasri deals and got them done early and bought in few players earlier we'd still be challenginf for the league now or even won a cup.

I don't think the squad really Gel'd together till xmas and that is what has cost us this season.

So in conclusion would id say this season has been a failure no but id say its been a dissaopintment though.

Cripps_orig
04-04-2012, 08:25 PM
Wilshere says its been a disaster

Olivier's xmas twist
04-04-2012, 08:31 PM
Wilshere says its been a disaster

Thats his opinion and i respect it.

Cripps_orig
04-04-2012, 08:36 PM
Thats his opinion and i respect it.Hes right as well tbh

Olivier's xmas twist
04-04-2012, 08:41 PM
Hes right as well tbh

Id agree with that.

IBK
04-04-2012, 09:17 PM
Id agree with that.''

He's wrong, and symptomatic of the ridiculous hyperbole surrounding the game these days.

She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
04-04-2012, 09:20 PM
Is there a need to call people idiots.

oh shut up.

ive been called much worse and seen others been called much worse. stop playing up when it suits you. if it hurts your feelings go play in the road.

Olivier's xmas twist
04-04-2012, 09:30 PM

Top post fella.

Kano
04-04-2012, 09:30 PM
''

He's wrong, and symptomatic of the ridiculous hyperbole surrounding the game these days.

the wider context is that he was speaking at the end of last season. from a players point of view he is right, as their ambition should be to win and aim for trophies/promotions etc.

a fan will be with a club far longer than any one player so our mindset should be broader than just trophies of course.

Olivier's xmas twist
04-04-2012, 11:15 PM
''

fair play, don't think the season has been as bad a most have made out but it should have been better.