PDA

View Full Version : "You can't buy Class"??

Joker
14-04-2012, 10:44 AM
PnG's comment in another thread (http://www.goonersweb.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=1352&p=123012&viewfull=1#post123012) is spot on, the "you can't buy class" taunts are ridiculous and brings to mind a club that's stuck in the past, revelling in past glories and deriding clubs trying to climb the ladder of success because they "lack class" (wtf does that even mean?) It's like public school snobbery, criticising working class people when they become successful, because their choice of clothes, jewellery etc is not considered "classy". It's ridiculous, at least City are trying to win the league, while we seem content with the balance sheet trophy. I'm a football fan, so what happens on the pitch matters more than these financial matters. Moreover, it's not as if our financial situation is so dire that we need to operate on this thrifty level just to stay afloat. We could have spent more money without jeopardising the club's sound business position, but that would require the people at the club to care more about football than financial stability, which none of them do (including Wenger).

So what if City's owners are foreigners (unlike our white, upper middle class former Etonians who seem to hold the supporters in contempt)? It at least seems they have ambitions that stretch beyond running a steady ship.

Olivier's xmas twist
14-04-2012, 10:56 AM
PnG's comment in another thread (http://www.goonersweb.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=1352&p=123012&viewfull=1#post123012) is spot on, the "you can't buy class" taunts are ridiculous and brings to mind a club that's stuck in the past, revelling in past glories and deriding clubs trying to climb the ladder of success because they "lack class" (wtf does that even mean?) It's like public school snobbery, criticising working class people when they become successful, because their choice of clothes, jewellery etc is not considered "classy". It's ridiculous, at least City are trying to win the league, while we seem content with the balance sheet trophy. I'm a football fan, so what happens on the pitch matters more than these financial matters. Moreover, it's not as if our financial situation is so dire that we need to operate on this thrifty level just to stay afloat. We could have spent more money without jeopardising the club's sound business position, but that would require the people at the club to care more about football than financial stability, which none of them do (including Wenger).

So what if City's owners are foreigners (unlike our white, upper middle class former Etonians who seem to hold the supporters in contempt)? It at least seems they have ambitions that stretch beyond running a steady ship.

Mario Balotelli is an example of not buying class, he maybe a decent player but has not class whats soever and players like him will always cause frustation for his team.

Yes as a fan you want your team to win things but i rather they did it with a balanced team not because they spenft 500 mill on a team over however many years, that is hollow success.

Not saying AW should not spend money, but he does not have to go stpuid like the chavs and city have done.

another diffrence between us and city is that if they don't like a player they buy for 30 mill they can afford to sell him for cheaper us and other clubs can't do that.

Money has runied the game. Football is a business now and im mean in general thats why they game is going down imo.

KSE Comedy Club
14-04-2012, 11:14 AM
Honestly joker, who gives a fuck!?

And why you've tried to turn it into a racist argument with your last paragraph is anyones guess.

Bottom line, if your so impressed by what city do then go and fucking support them. Arsenal are the best run club in the country, if not the world judging by the current financial state of affairs.

Arsenal FC: the best in the world at what it does :bow:

BOBN
14-04-2012, 11:15 AM
well we all know arsenal fans are the most self-righteous about.

its at its ugliest when you see tippy-tappy nothing players like nasri, ramsey and arshavin getting sucked off at the expense of more productive players like walcott due to sheer football snobbery. but maybe thats changing for the better.

LDG
14-04-2012, 11:19 AM
Fuck 'em all! Fuck 'em all!
Utd, West Ham, Liverpool (and City, the absolute ****s)
We are The Arsenal
We are the best
We are The Arsenal
Fuck all the rest!

KSE Comedy Club
14-04-2012, 11:23 AM

its at its ugliest when you see tippy-tappy nothing players like nasri, ramsey and arshavin getting sucked off at the expense of more productive players like walcott due to sheer football snobbery. but maybe thats changing for the better.WTF?

:blink:

Olivier's xmas twist
14-04-2012, 11:30 AM

And why you've tried to turn it into a racist argument with your last paragraph is anyones guess.
Bottom line, if your so impressed by what city do then go and fucking support them. Arsenal are the best run club in the country, if not the world judging by the current financial state of affairs.

This, Guess Joker is still upset our boys beat his boys last week and cost them the keague more or less.

Its funny when he talks about bing spending billionaires its the City one he always seems to defend.

milla
14-04-2012, 11:35 AM
Joker :haha:

LDG
14-04-2012, 11:42 AM
The point is not really to do with money, and this is what Joker completely misses. Basically because he's a bit stupid.

The point, is about the way fans behave, and the way a club operates.

For instance, clapping the opposing goal keeper as he approaches the north bank, regardless of what team he plays for. That's Arsenal class. And just one of the countless, traditional things we do as a club.

The ever increasing number of City and Chelsea fans who march with their club, looking down on those like they previously wouldn't have dared, is not classy. They have no right. And therefore, they can fuck, the fuck. Off.

Letters
14-04-2012, 11:50 AM
The point is not really to do with money, and this is what Joker completely misses. Basically because he's a bit stupid.

The point, is about the way fans behave, and the way a club operates.

For instance, clapping the opposing goal keeper as he approaches the north bank, regardless of what team he plays for. That's Arsenal class. And just one of the countless, traditional things we do as a club.

The ever increasing number of City and Chelsea fans who march with their club, looking down on those like they previously wouldn't have dared, is not classy. They have no right. And therefore, they can fuck, the fuck. Off.

:gp:

And throwing obscene amounts of money around to try and win the league. That isn't ambition. What Wenger's tried to do - achieve success without going nuts in the transfer market in an era when increasingly it seems you need to in order to do so - that is ambition. And yes, to an extent he's failed (although in other ways he's done well to keep us 'up there' without breaking the bank) but I'd rather support a club who do things the right way than support a load of overpaid, here today, gone tomorrow mercenaries.

GP
14-04-2012, 11:53 AM
Lets get one thing clear.

Spending obscene amount of SOMEONE ELSE'S MONEY

Does NOT = ambition

Cripps_orig
14-04-2012, 11:53 AM

Id say Bayern Munich are in the world

Letters
14-04-2012, 11:56 AM

Does NOT = ambition

I've heard there are places you can get a degree off the internet. If only I could think of a suitable analogy :(

GP
14-04-2012, 11:57 AM
I've heard there are places you can get a degree off the internet. If only I could think of a suitable analogy :(

I have 5. I must be so well respected.

Marc Overmars
14-04-2012, 12:01 PM
No one else can afford to spend 20-30m a pop on players (Adebayor, Jo, Santa Cruz, Boateng, Robinho, et al), realise they won't work, move them on for a loss then start again with whoever else is available. Basically, it's a case of spending whatever the fuck they can until they get it right. No sense of good business practice or management nous.

That does represent no class.

Olivier's xmas twist
14-04-2012, 12:03 PM

Does NOT = ambition

Exactly.

Man u will always be respected because the money they have spent is more or less what they have earned.

LDG
14-04-2012, 12:23 PM

Not by me. I have 6.

You're forever in my shadow tbf.

And it's not because of my beer paunch either :sulk:

Letters
14-04-2012, 12:26 PM

You bought class :bow:

GP
14-04-2012, 12:27 PM
You bought class :bow:

And I wear loads of gold so people know.

LDG
14-04-2012, 12:28 PM
:haha:

Master Splinter
14-04-2012, 01:15 PM
Jo :haha:.

Santa Cruz :haha:.

Adebayor :haha:.

Robinho :haha:.

Even Chamakh was better value for money than those pub-teamers.

Power n Glory
14-04-2012, 01:23 PM
Who gives a shit about City and what they do with their money? Spending someone else's money doesn't equal ambition. But applauding a club with no ambition to win silverware, brings in record profits yet refuses to spend the money generated by the fans equals something else. And it's not as if the fans haven't been calling for this club to show some ambition in the transfer window and to stop selling off our best players.

Niall_Quinn
14-04-2012, 01:27 PM
What's the score city? What's the score?

A billion spent by your lot, and we make profits in the transfer window and we didn't just beat you, we ran you off the pitch. Some city fans here will just have to live with the fact they lost. Get over it.

Your greedy, selfish, money grabbing, traitorous, absolutely classless bastard Tevez has just scored a hat-trick (now that he fancies playing footie instead of golf) - so cheer the fuck up. There are positives, it's not just about being schooled by the Arsenal. Maybe the lessons learned as you were thoroughly thrashed in every department will serve the next gang of mercenaries well when they join in the summer, that's if they are still around by the time they play us.

McNamara That Ghost...
14-04-2012, 01:33 PM

its at its ugliest when you see tippy-tappy nothing players like nasri, ramsey and arshavin getting sucked off at the expense of more productive players like walcott due to sheer football snobbery. but maybe thats changing for the better.

It's no more self-righteous than calling it 'tippy-tappy'.

BOBN
14-04-2012, 04:04 PM
It's no more self-righteous than calling it 'tippy-tappy'.
its tippy-tappy when it achieves dikk all bar titilating some plums. nasri was called world class here and he wasnt a proper player. ramsey escaped criticism for the longest while walcott/gervinho took all the blame even though hes was by far the weakest player in the team.

out of snobbery people automatically associate any airy-fairy technique based style with the genuine quality possessed by players like xavi and iniesta. even fabregas is proving hes not on that level.

Coney
14-04-2012, 04:10 PM
its tippy-tappy when it achieves dikk all bar titilating some plums. nasri was called world class here and he wasnt a proper player. ramsey escaped criticism for the longest while walcott/gervinho took all the blame even though hes was by far the weakest player in the team.

out of snobbery people automatically associate any airy-fairy technique based style with the genuine quality possessed by players like xavi and iniesta. even fabregas is proving hes not on that level.

I think accusing people of snobbery is a bit self-righteous. Mind you, you aren't the only one guilty of that.

McNamara That Ghost...
14-04-2012, 04:17 PM

And you're overtly criticising them for whatever style of football it might be that those players play. You sound just as high and mighty on here at times. Y'know like when you career in to a thread because Robinho happened to score two goals against us and then smirk at people who might have rated him as inferior to someone else.

BOBN
14-04-2012, 04:23 PM
And you're overtly criticising them for whatever style of football it might be that those players play. You sound just as high and mighty on here at times. Y'know like when you career in to a thread because Robinho happened to score two goals against us and then smirk at people who might have rated him as inferior to someone else.
they deserved it tbh

arshavin better than robinho :haha: that went well.

GP
14-04-2012, 04:28 PM
they deserved it tbh

arshavin better than robinho :haha: that went well.

They had similar impacts in the premier league.

BOBN
14-04-2012, 04:32 PM
you can actually spot arsenal fans a mile off, heres something I saw yesterday in the f365 mailbox:

Style Over Substance
Ah , Banister9, yes you are the only person who thinks CRonaldo is the best player on the planet. He's not even the best player in Spain. He's the ultimate flat track bully - a player built to humiliate weaker teams but who disappears completely in the big stakes games. He's Ivan Drago to Rocky Balboa.

You claim he's capable of 'everything that Lionel Messi simply couldn't do through either imagination or simple genetics'. Utter nonsense. Messi can do everything CRonaldo can do except Messi can do it in spite of his well-documented physical limitations. You talk about imagination? Messi has scored goals from impossible angles, deft little chips and powerful shots. CRonaldo does the same thing over and over and over again. That's because CRonaldo is the choice of the superficial football fan. The person who favours style over substance. The kind of human being who'd rather watch Ashley Young or Nani showboating rather than Scholes dictate a game. The kind of idiot who thinks that Bergkamp wasn't the greatest player to grace the English Premier League.
N O'Reilly (There will only ever be one Ronaldo and he played for Brazil)
an idiot for thinking superior players to bergkamp are superior (henry, ronaldo etc) :haha:

cronaldo style over substance :haha: hoiw many goals does he suggest he scores?

now whats not to mock about a person with such aloof, thick opinions as that? they deserved to be teased and ostracized from society.

Cripps_orig
14-04-2012, 04:37 PM
you can actually spot arsenal fans a mile off, heres something I saw yesterday in the f365 mailbox:

an idiot for thinking superior players to bergkamp are superior (henry, ronaldo etc) :haha:

now whats not to mock about a person and such aloaf, thick opinions as that? they deserved to be teased and ostracized from society.Hes spot on about Bergkamp but what a shocker for the rest

Ronaldo can do everything Messi can do. Can Messi score from 30 odd yards out? Has he ever?

McNamara That Ghost...
14-04-2012, 04:38 PM
Yeah but BOBN your tone just mirrors his. I'd say you'd be a bit lost without people like that to bounce off.

Olivier's xmas twist
14-04-2012, 04:40 PM

now whats not to mock about a person with such aloof, thick opinions as that? they deserved to be teased and ostracized from society.

So your views or CRonaldo ?

McNamara That Ghost...
14-04-2012, 04:41 PM
Hes spot on about Bergkamp but what a shocker for the rest

Ronaldo can do everything Messi can do. Can Messi score from 30 odd yards out? Has he ever?

30 yards out, I don't think so. He has belted a few outside of the box though (like against us :(). It makes no sense as an argument anyway though, Messi and Ronaldo are wired in completely different ways in their style but ultimately both are just as productive, I mean Ronaldo doesn't beat his man with the same frequency like he used to - he doesn't need to, he just needs power running and defenders can't cope but he can belt long range efforts in nearly every game and he know where to run in to when he doesn't have the ball.

BOBN
14-04-2012, 04:47 PM
most embarrassing part was the ivan drago comparison. a machine capable of beating former world champions to death or some podgy old thick yank who in 5 films never blocked one punch. I know who id rather fight.

Olivier's xmas twist
14-04-2012, 04:59 PM
:rose: Thread

GP
14-04-2012, 05:01 PM

Pretty much.

BOBN is the worst troll ever.

Olivier's xmas twist
14-04-2012, 05:06 PM
Pretty much.

BOBN is the worst troll ever.

Well i think Joker/Swegooner/Diaby fan/Letters may havw something to say about that, unless its the same guy.

Im not sure if BOBN is a Ronaldo fan or not.

She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
14-04-2012, 05:23 PM
:lol:

people using the 'at least we have class' line

people seem to be forgetting who the two most influential people related to our club were; henry norris and herbert chapman. both known for their 'devious' ways i.e. paying off certain people to get us into the top flight, slipping alcohol into drinks to 'loosen' up transfer dealings.

lets not even get started on george graham.

or even the fact that wenger made diving acceptable in the UK.

so before people mouth off about class, take a fucking look at our own history, which is nothing short of no class :haha:

Syn
14-04-2012, 05:27 PM

What the fuck?

Joker
14-04-2012, 05:39 PM
What about Wenger's post match reactions when we lose? They are hardly displays of "class" are they? Swearing at officials (in Europe) don't portray him in a particularly good light either. Let's not forget about the drinking culture during George Graham's time either.

Our history is not clean at all, and this belief that we're more "classy" than other clubs is bollocks. People talk about the marble halls at Highbury, but that's a physical manifestation of "class", what is more important are actions by individuals who represent the club, and in that regard we are no better than anyone else. This doesn't bother me, because football is not a clean sport and I don't expect (nor want) our club to act posh and represent Victorian Upper Class values.

Joker
14-04-2012, 05:44 PM
And Wenger may not have bought diving into the Premiership (for example, Franny Lee of Man City was a notorious diver) but it is true that many of the players he signed were very prominent divers in addition to being top quality players (nowadays he signs divers who can't actually play football either).

Throughout Wenger's time we've been involved in many unsavoury incidents, like Bergkamp's off-the-ball misdemeanour's, Keown, Lauren and Parlour pushing Ruud Van Nistelrooy around, tunnel bust-ups against Man Utd, Vieira spitting at opponents etc etc. As partisan fans we all love these things because they show the players care, but from an objective point of view all these incidents are not particularly examples of "classy" behaviour. I don't care about this, because if you want to see Bourgeois values you should go and watch a cricket match. However, it is hugely hypocritical to act as if we occupy some superior moral high-ground when we're just as dirty as the rest.

BOBN
14-04-2012, 05:48 PM
Wenger didnt make diving acceptable be he was the one who introduced a change of diet to boost performance, which is not too dissimilar to steriod abuse. For me its cheating.

bergkamp was also the first johnny foreigner to pick and choose the games he played in. couldnt be arsed with europe away so didnt. Now you have players like tevez taking 6 months off. he showed players what you can get away with if you are a big name.

Joker
14-04-2012, 05:51 PM
He also never shares a drink with the opposition manager after the game. You can understand that when he's up against ****s like Mark Hughes or Pulis, but he NEVER takes part in this tradition, even with managers who have nothing but positive things to say about him (Bruce). Is that example of classy behaviour, to not respect your opposite number enough to at least share a drink with him?

Olivier's xmas twist
14-04-2012, 05:54 PM

Master Splinter
14-04-2012, 05:55 PM
When the Wenger not sharing a drink argument is rolled out, the despair level has gone beyond critical.

Olivier's xmas twist
14-04-2012, 05:59 PM
When the Wenger not sharing a drink argument is rolled out, the despair level has gone beyond critical. Yeah but look who said it the same person who thinks RVP is shit and only gets really happy on here When City win. Anyone who is bothered that AW does nto drink with Pubis or Highes oor Redtwat needs to get a life.

McNamara That Ghost...
14-04-2012, 06:00 PM
What about Wenger's post match reactions when we lose? They are hardly displays of "class" are they? Swearing at officials (in Europe) don't portray him in a particularly good light either. Let's not forget about the drinking culture during George Graham's time either.

Our history is not clean at all, and this belief that we're more "classy" than other clubs is bollocks. People talk about the marble halls at Highbury, but that's a physical manifestation of "class", what is more important are actions by individuals who represent the club, and in that regard we are no better than anyone else. This doesn't bother me, because football is not a clean sport and I don't expect (nor want) our club to act posh and represent Victorian Upper Class values.

Supporters say something to opposing supporters that might not be entirely accurate or consistent shocker.

Joker
14-04-2012, 06:02 PM
Yeah but look who said it the same person who thinks RVP is shit and only gets really happy on here When City win. Anyone who is bothered that AW does nto drink with Pubis or Highes oor Redtwat needs to get a life.

Read my post again I specifically said that I can UNDERSTAND when he declines a drink with people like Hughes or Pulis, but why does he not drink with the other managers, who have no quarrel with him? Most other managers (including the foreign ones) do, so why shouldn't he?

I think what many people don't want to admit when they claim Arsenal have more "class" than others is that the real meaning of this statement is that Arsenal have more affluent, middle class supporters and somehow automatically that makes us "better" than others. I think this is what that poster at the Emirates really meant, and it's a form of class snobbery that is extremely unappetising.

Power n Glory
14-04-2012, 06:03 PM
Fecking hell guys. Let's not totally trash our club, players and in history in order to prove a point. :lol:

But I get what's been said and most football fans are hypocrites. People bitch and moan about clubs like City and Chelsea but if our two millionaires decided to pump money into the club ad we bought Gotze, Hazard or whoever the most coveted player is for 2012, all this talk about buying class and success would take a backseat. If a smaller club started getting Lilly about our new money we'd probably tell the peasant to piss off.

Dennis Bendtner
14-04-2012, 06:07 PM
He also never shares a drink with the opposition manager after the game. You can understand that when he's up against ****s like Mark Hughes or Pulis, but he NEVER takes part in this tradition, even with managers who have nothing but positive things to say about him (Bruce). Is that example of classy behaviour, to not respect your opposite number enough to at least share a drink with him?

http://i618.photobucket.com/albums/tt264/Hx3_1963/Iconic%20Library/People/oh-noes-everybody-panic.gif

McNamara That Ghost...
14-04-2012, 06:09 PM
Read my post again I specifically said that I can UNDERSTAND when he declines a drink with people like Hughes or Pulis, but why does he not drink with the other managers, who have no quarrel with him? Most other managers (including the foreign ones) do, so why shouldn't he?

I think what many people don't want to admit when they claim Arsenal have more "class" than others is that the real meaning of this statement is that Arsenal have more affluent, middle class supporters and somehow automatically that makes us "better" than others. I think this is what that poster at the Emirates really meant, and it's a form of class snobbery that is extremely unappetising.

How do you feel when our supporters sing "by far the greatest team the world has ever seen"?

GP
14-04-2012, 06:14 PM
Wenger didnt make diving acceptable be he was the one who introduced a change of diet to boost performance, which is not too dissimilar to steriod abuse. For me its cheating.

The fuck? :lol:

Seriously? :haha:

The Ogg Monster
14-04-2012, 06:17 PM
lol. Good diet=Cheating.

Joker
14-04-2012, 06:17 PM
How do you feel when our supporters sing "by far the greatest team the world has ever seen"?

That's a bit different though isn't it? I don't think supporters obviously truly believe we are the greatest football team alive, but it's the sort of chant every football club's supporters partake in. However, the constant claims about being more classy than the rest is taken seriously, even though the evidence doesn't back it up.

GP
14-04-2012, 06:20 PM
lol. Good diet=Cheating.

Damn.

I've seen some retarded things written on forums over the years, but this takes the cake.

Holy cow :lol:

Dennis Bendtner
14-04-2012, 06:20 PM
Moreover, Wenger is a free market fundamentalist.

McNamara That Ghost...
14-04-2012, 06:23 PM
That's a bit different though isn't it? I don't think supporters obviously truly believe we are the greatest football team alive, but it's the sort of chant every football club's supporters partake in. However, the constant claims about being more classy than the rest is taken seriously, even though the evidence doesn't back it up.

Sure but it still ignores all the dubious points you mention out of pride for the club they support, I'd have thought it might make you cringe a little bit. The point I am getting at, is that you can throw inaccuracy out of the window when it comes to attending a football match.

What about the alternate version of 'Carefree' directed towards Chelsea? And that's sung by Liverpool most notably. There are so many examples of inaccurate digs/full-blown insults in football from rival supporters to another, it's just like you're searching every to discredit Arsenal in every way you can. You go much further than merely being upset about our on the field performances, you do a holistic club assassination.

McNamara That Ghost...
14-04-2012, 06:23 PM
lol. Good diet=Cheating.

I've always been an honest boy.

KFC. :bow:

KSE Comedy Club
14-04-2012, 06:27 PM
Id say Bayern Munich are in the worldNah theyre just 'the best in the world'

theyre just trying to imitate us - the best in the world at what we do.

We should have a title match tbh.

Olivier's xmas twist
14-04-2012, 06:28 PM
Sure but it still ignores all the dubious points you mention out of pride for the club they support, I'd have thought it might make you cringe a little bit. The point I am getting at, is that you can throw inaccuracy out of the window when it comes to attending a football match.

What about the alternate version of 'Carefree' directed towards Chelsea? And that's sung by Liverpool most notably. There are so many examples of inaccurate digs/full-blown insults in football from rival supporters to another, it's just like you're searching every to discredit Arsenal in every way you can. You go much further than merely being upset about our on the field performances, you do a holistic club assassination.

This.

Cripps_orig
14-04-2012, 06:28 PM
Nah theyre just 'the best in the world'

theyre just trying to imitate us - the best in the world at what we do.

We should have a title match tbh.CL Final next season

Its on

She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
14-04-2012, 06:38 PM
Moreover, Wenger is a free market fundamentalist.

:haha:

economics :bow:

KSE Comedy Club
14-04-2012, 06:39 PM

Physically sick :joker:

BOBN
14-04-2012, 06:44 PM
The fuck? :lol:

Seriously? :haha:
using substances not naturally found in the body (vegetables and stuff) to improve conditioning and improve performance. explain the difference between that and drug use? many drugs are just plants anyway.

also players say wenger tried to keep it on the hush, like "dont tell your england teammates what were doing". he had a duty to inform everybody about the benefits of eating veggies and stuff on the body. without that, for me, its cheating. you dont keep secrets.

Marc Overmars
14-04-2012, 06:44 PM
Wenger improving the diet of his players is akin to cheating? :lol:

BOBN. :bow:

Best in the world at what he does.

GP
14-04-2012, 06:45 PM
using substances not naturally found in the body (vegetables and stuff) to improve conditioning and improve performance. explain the difference between that and drug use? many drugs are just plants anyway.

also players say wenger tried to keep it on the hush, like "dont tell your england teammates what were doing". he had a duty to inform the who industry about the benefits of eating veggies and stuff on the body. without that, for me, its cheating.

You're embarrassing yourself now.

Please, stop.

Cripps_orig
14-04-2012, 06:45 PM
Oh dear god

Olivier's xmas twist
14-04-2012, 06:48 PM

So its ok for him not to drink with Hughes but not someone like MON is what your saying.

Seems a bit Snobbish to me what your saying.

I don't know who he does or does not drink with after games and i don't really care as its not a big deal.

And if the managers he does not drink with like you say thought it was they make a big deal out of it then they are now.

Just another chance for you to have a dig at AW nout else.

infact this whole thread was a chance to bash the club, you say you love.

When really its a chance to make people like the club we all know you love.

She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
14-04-2012, 06:48 PM
:haha: :haha: :haha:

how did i miss that post :haha:

surely he's joking :haha:

BOBN
14-04-2012, 06:50 PM
Damn.

I've seen some retarded things written on forums over the years, but this takes the cake.

Holy cow :lol:
sometimes the internet is not representative.

ask your friends or work-mates. no doubt many will agree.

Dennis Bendtner
14-04-2012, 06:51 PM
BOBN.

http://www.sea-fishing-charter-boats.co.uk/images/deep-sea-fishing.jpg

Best in the world at what he does.

KSE Comedy Club
14-04-2012, 06:51 PM
Wenger improving the diet of his players is akin to cheating? :lol:

BOBN. :bow:

Best in the world at what he does.Giving him that slogan is going too far.

He should have something like 'Yes! Yes! Yes!' or something shit like that.

KSE Comedy Club
14-04-2012, 06:53 PM
sometimes the internet is not representative.

ask your friends or work-mates. no doubt many will agree.

Yes.

They all agree, you're talking shit :good:

Olivier's xmas twist
14-04-2012, 06:53 PM
Giving him that slogan is going too far.

:haha: so true.

BOBN
14-04-2012, 06:56 PM
Giving him that slogan is going too far.

I dont like it but i'll take it.

McNamara That Ghost...
14-04-2012, 06:57 PM
The Wrestling Clique. :bow:

Power n Glory
14-04-2012, 07:05 PM

also players say wenger tried to keep it on the hush, like "dont tell your england teammates what were doing". he had a duty to inform everybody about the benefits of eating veggies and stuff on the body. without that, for me, its cheating. you dont keep secrets.

That's not cheating. It's pretty common in all sports. Come on, now you're reaching.

KSE Comedy Club
14-04-2012, 07:19 PM
The Wrestling Clique. :bow:the best in the world at what we do :bow:

The Ogg Monster
14-04-2012, 07:31 PM
http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/images10/HorsesLaughingStock.jpg

Olivier's xmas twist
14-04-2012, 07:52 PM
the best in the world at what we do :bow:

Woo Woo Woo You know it.

Letters
14-04-2012, 07:53 PM

That's not even worth replying to, so I won't.

Master Splinter
14-04-2012, 07:55 PM

That's not even worth replying to, so I won't.

But you did.

Master Splinter
14-04-2012, 07:55 PM
Also, if I have a carrot, will I be arrested?

Olivier's xmas twist
14-04-2012, 07:56 PM
But you did.

was about to post the same thing.

Master Splinter
14-04-2012, 07:56 PM

was about to post the same thing.

But you didn't.

Letters
14-04-2012, 07:58 PM
But you did.

No I didn't, and I won't reply to this either.

:cool:

The Ogg Monster
14-04-2012, 08:13 PM
Lol @ this thread.

Grebbo
14-04-2012, 08:26 PM
Strange thread.

1. Citeh have spent £400m in the past 3 seasons. Pretty hard to compete with that but we're trying. They won't win anything this season don't forget.

2. I've seen all of two Arsenal fans say/write "You can't buy class"

3. Our owners are foreign too so not sure what you're going on about there.

Niall_Quinn
15-04-2012, 03:59 AM
4. Mark Hughes is a ****.

KSE Comedy Club
15-04-2012, 09:33 AM
4. Mark Hughes is a ****.Yeh but why this time?

LDG
15-04-2012, 12:15 PM
Classy thread.

Özil's Panoramic View
15-04-2012, 01:03 PM
Such a thread could only have been started by a bitter City fan who had to agonizingly watch as Arsenal demolished the throng of mercenaries on the field of play.

Niall_Quinn
15-04-2012, 02:09 PM
Such a thread could only have been started by a bitter City fan who had to agonizingly watch as Arsenal demolished the throng of mercenaries on the field of play.

Nope, started by a person who can't accept the truth and is mired in bitterness. He blames everyone else for the failure to win trophies, except for the one person who is really responsible. Himself.

Olivier's xmas twist
15-04-2012, 04:39 PM
So what your saying is Joker's a twat?

Kano
15-04-2012, 09:55 PM

you or someone with enough time should make a "best of" thread, pulling together all your classic posts. trolling at its best. seriously, you are very good. and just to think it's staring everyone in the face. your name. it's all in the name.

Niall_Quinn
15-04-2012, 10:36 PM
you or someone with enough time should make a "best of" thread, pulling together all your classic posts. trolling at its best. seriously, you are very good. and just to think it's staring everyone in the face. your name. it's all in the name.

I don't mind doing it, I just got sacked again so I have some spare time.

Master Splinter
16-04-2012, 04:39 AM
Disgusting the way N_Q is treated by Gregg's.

Japan Shaking All Over
16-04-2012, 07:40 AM
Seriously. . . .what a complete load of kak but to say Im not surprised is an understatement.

I do understand the sentiment that it may be a bit if a stretch to think that all of us wiuld forfeit our love for the club if someone came along and starting pumping obsence sums of money in to the club. I think we would say it was out of our control who bought the club and what they did with their money.

Hoever the fact that we are working to a model that allows for a certain amount of self subsistency should make a true fan proud. Now I do sit with the camp that it is all very well having such a self reliant lifestyle but if it aint being used to enrich the squad ie better players and only being diected into certain individuals wallets then something is amiss. The fan sees success on the pitch, the winning of trophies as the benchmark, they cheer a team that gives it its all and not a board that sees profit as the goal to be scored. At the moment the game has moneybag clubs like Citeh, who will show no mercy to those that fail, clubs like us trying to live within our means but missing that little something and the rest, those that make up the numbers. Does class come into it? Not sure.

I would say it is pretty classless to give a manager a handful of gsmes to produce success and then fire them at a bat of an eyelid but fuck it if you can, do it. Not doi g too bad now.

I would shudder if we bought in 300mils worth of talent only to ask most to leave after failing to win the league but hell if thats the budiness model and you can, who are we to argue.

On the flipside are we guilty of giving people too many chances, it that classless? No I dont think so either, I think we have limuted options and sometimes suffer because of that. Were we wrong, did we take a classless risk by lettimg Cesc and Nasri go. . .hell no, the latter had no class in the way he whored himself, Ade's name can be thrown into that mix. The classiest of them all SAF said Wenger was right. We hit rock bottom but we have had the class to pick ourselves up, dust ourselves off. Yes, no trophies again but a whole load of pride and it looks like we could get better.

Now some people define class as the ability to have a glass of wine after the game with the oppo manager, fuck off. . .how do you know what Wenger does. Most of the confrontations he has had have been with twats. Owen Coyle has a lot of nice things to say about AW and Wenger returns the sentiment.
What is classless is people starting threads like this just because they are looking for a new negative angle to hit the club with, I have not heard the geezer say one positive thing about the club, sure dont be tip toeing through the tulips about everything but FFS? We lose the first game in 8 matches and the guy would rather go on about that then the previous 7 wins.

I want us to win trophies, and would be willing to see us go into the red if it meant that would be the case but I laugh at when I see Citeh fuck things up, Liverpool are another who sopend tons but admittedly they have had a good cup year as have Chelsea, I believe we can get there and will do it the Arsenal way (frusting as it csn be at time!). . .but hell what can we do? . . . .start classy threads, huh!

:footnote: Chelseas some class but accepting a goal that clearly wasnt. . .seem to remember Wenger back in the day agreeing, change that suggesting to replay an FAC tie after a controversial goal. . .classy huh? oh sorry he didnt crack open a bottle of Blue Nun after the game with oppo (Bruce I believe) so doesnt count, right?

Niall_Quinn
16-04-2012, 01:03 PM
I have not heard the geezer say one positive thing about the club

Good post that. Also...

The classiest of them all SAF said Wenger was right. We hit rock bottom but we have had the class to pick ourselves up, dust ourselves off. Yes, no trophies again but a whole load of pride and it looks like we could get better.

We don't reserve the right to win everything, but we do reserve the right to try. The team is doing okay right now despite some major handicaps in terms of financing, whether enforced or self-imposed. Can we cry about these restrictions? Yes, and we do. But is the team performing on the pitch right now? Yes. And what fan could have a problem with that?

There's a certain destructiveness to this that makes no sense to me. Get rid of Wenger, just kick him out and then... everything will be better. Why? Nobody knows but let's just blow everything up anyway and see what happens. And I suppose if the next guy doesn't fare any better we get rid of him too and on it goes. Doesn't seem like a way forward to me. And this business about hoping we lose and lose big just to hasten the day when the bomb can be exploded, we'll that's just fucked up and people who want that sort of shit to happen seem to lack a passion for the moment. There's the season and then there's the 90 minutes on the pitch. In some ways hoping for disaster in those 90 minutes in order to somehow (never explained) influence this season or the season after is every bit as Machiavellian as the behaviour of the board and their long term non-investment agenda. They love the club too, they say. I'm not trying to start a fight but some people should have a re-think.

If we end up 11 points clear of the spuds by the time they next take to the pitch that'll be my season right there. Job done. Not so long ago we were saying we'd never catch them, now we have the chance to put them away in the most emphatic manner imaginable. And it all started during some half time talk where Wenger and RvP turned a 2-0 deficit into a 5-2 mauling of our greatest rivals. That's football for me, I'm more than happy to thrive on that. Petty tribal rivalries, yep, give me some of that.

Did we see any of this when the 8th goal went in vs Utd?

The team is doing well and so is the manager. Fight forthe shirt we said and that's what they are doing. Where's the problem?

LDG
16-04-2012, 01:09 PM
Good post that. Also...

We don't reserve the right to win everything, but we do reserve the right to try. The team is doing okay right now despite some major handicaps in terms of financing, whether enforced or self-imposed. Can we cry about these restrictions? Yes, and we do. But is the team performing on the pitch right now? Yes. And what fan could have a problem with that?

There's a certain destructiveness to this that makes no sense to me. Get rid of Wenger, just kick him out and then... everything will be better. Why? Nobody knows but let's just blow everything up anyway and see what happens. And I suppose if the next guy doesn't fare any better we get rid of him too and on it goes. Doesn't seem like a way forward to me. And this business about hoping we lose and lose big just to hasten the day when the bomb can be exploded, we'll that's just fucked up and people who want that sort of shit to happen seem to lack a passion for the moment. There's the season and then there's the 90 minutes on the pitch. In some ways hoping for disaster in those 90 minutes in order to somehow (never explained) influence this season or the season after is every bit as Machiavellian as the behaviour of the board and their long term non-investment agenda. They love the club too, they say. I'm not trying to start a fight but some people should have a re-think.

If we end up 11 points clear of the spuds by the time they next take to the pitch that'll be my season right there. Job done. Not so long ago we were saying we'd never catch them, now we have the chance to put them away in the most emphatic manner imaginable. And it all started during some half time talk where Wenger and RvP turned a 2-0 deficit into a 5-2 mauling of our greatest rivals. That's football for me, I'm more than happy to thrive on that. Petty tribal rivalries, yep, give me some of that.

The team is doing well and so is the manager. Fight forthe shirt we said and that's what they are doing. Where's the problem?

Pretty much.

Syn
16-04-2012, 01:10 PM
Good post that. Also...

Arsene won't share a drink with Pardew after games.

Niall_Quinn
16-04-2012, 01:15 PM
Arsene won't share a drink with Pardew after games.

I didn't know that. That changes things. Hope we lose to Wigan tonight and Wenger gets sacked.

LDG
16-04-2012, 01:16 PM
Creepy Uncle Pardew.

Makes me shiver.

Niall_Quinn
16-04-2012, 01:18 PM
Creepy Uncle Pardew.

Makes me shiver.

Didn't know he was your uncle. That must have been tough growing up.

LDG
16-04-2012, 01:19 PM
Didn't know he was your uncle. That must have been tough growing up.

I grew up quite fast.

He touched me on the bumhole :(

Olivier's xmas twist
16-04-2012, 01:20 PM
I would say it is pretty classless to give a manager a handful of gsmes to produce success and then fire them at a bat of an eyelid but fuck it if you can, do it. Not doi g too bad now.I would shudder if we bought in 300mils worth of talent only to ask most to leave after failing to win the league but hell if thats the budiness model and you can, who are we to argue.

This the way the game is going because of these Billionaires. They don't care how much they waste on players and managers till they feel happy.

Clubs are like toys to these owners nothing else. (AVB Found that out the hard way).

Problem is alot of fans are fickle and think if managers don't win something every year they should be sacked. (talking in general here).

Ollie the Optimist
16-04-2012, 10:00 PM
i thought this was an interesting topic, then i read this and lost all respect for thread.

this is the biggest pile of shit i have ever read

GP
16-04-2012, 10:01 PM
i thought this was an interesting topic, then i read this and lost all respect for thread.

Read on, it gets worse...

Olivier's xmas twist
16-04-2012, 10:03 PM

Look who started the thread says it all tbh.

She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
16-04-2012, 10:07 PM

the truth hurts.

if you were a fan of any other team you'd completely understand why i said it but you're blind thanks to your rose tinted glasses. just because you support arsenal it doesn't mean you have to lie and pretend things haven't happened and that wenger hasn't had an influence in that sense.

Ollie the Optimist
16-04-2012, 10:09 PM
Read on, it gets worse...

so what i have learnt from this thread is that wenger is a cheat for two reasons

1. he brought diving to this country
2. he cheated by telling the players how to eat properly therefore making take steriods

and htat he is a classless **** because he doesnt have a drink.

jesus christ some twats are thick on here

Ollie the Optimist
16-04-2012, 10:09 PM

the truth hurts.

if you were a fan of any other team you'd completely understand why i said it but you're blind thanks to your rose tinted glasses. just because you support arsenal it doesn't mean you have to lie and pretend things haven't happened and that wenger hasn't had an influence in that sense.

you are genuinely telling me that wenger invented diving in this country?

She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
16-04-2012, 10:12 PM

no. learn to read properly.

there's a clear difference between the word 'acceptable', which is what i used, and the word 'invented', which is a word you fabricated without reading the thread properly. so dont make up things that haven't been said.

She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
16-04-2012, 10:13 PM
jesus christ some twats are thick on here

:doh:

Ollie the Optimist
16-04-2012, 10:14 PM

no. learn to read properly.

there's a clear difference between the word 'acceptable', which is what i used, and the word 'invented', which is a word you fabricated without reading the thread properly. so dont make up things that haven't been said.

fine, accepted/invented are basically the same thing here. how i read it was that without wenger diving wouldnt happen here, you basically accused diving of being a wenger thing with him telling his team it was ok to do it etc etc. accepted/invented = the same thing to me with this case

im pretty sure im not hteo nly one to have read your statement as i did

She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
16-04-2012, 10:16 PM
fine, accepted/invented are basically the same thing here. how i read it was that without wenger diving wouldnt happen here, you basically accused diving of being a wenger thing with him telling his team it was ok to do it etc etc. accepted/invented = the same thing to me with this case

im pretty sure im not hteo nly one to have read your statement as i did

:blink: what utter rubbish.

if you want to make two words that have completely different meanings the same, just to accentuate your argument, then thats fine, but thats completely irrational and makes you look like a fool.

its like me saying the word 'average' and 'superb' are the same thing when they clearly are not.

Ollie the Optimist
16-04-2012, 10:21 PM
:blink: what utter rubbish.

if you want to make two words that have completely different meanings the same, just to accentuate your argument, then thats fine, but thats completely irrational and makes you look like a fool.

its like me saying the word 'average' and 'superb' are the same thing when they clearly are not.

good to see you are defending and justyfying your claim that wenger made diving accepted here and not arguing over something about what words mean. oh

She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
16-04-2012, 10:22 PM
:blink: i clearly stated that i think he made diving acceptable and have done so throughout the thread. what else do you want me to say? repeat it another 500 times?

go bed son, you're having a nightmare :haha: :pal:

Ollie the Optimist
16-04-2012, 10:28 PM
:blink: i clearly stated that i think he made diving acceptable and have done so throughout the thread. what else do you want me to say? repeat it another 500 times?

go bed son, you're having a nightmare :haha: :pal:

these are your posts since your claim that wenger made diving acceptable, up to my post where i quoted it.

economics post number 1

post number 2

how did i miss that post

surely he's joking

could you show me where you defended your claim and where you have done so throughout the thread please?

now who is having the nightmare again?

She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
16-04-2012, 10:29 PM

that is shocking. is that the best you can do? :haha:

Ollie the Optimist
16-04-2012, 10:32 PM

that is shocking. is that the best you can do? :haha:

well im looking for your justification of you claim wenger made diving acceptbale here. you say you have justified countless times in this thread yet since your claim and my quoting of it, you have made two posts both of which i have quoted.

are you going to justify your claim or just laugh at me for calling you up on something you have no defence too?

She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
16-04-2012, 10:38 PM
how would you like it justified?

he made diving acceptable.
what else is there to say?

wenger today:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2130262/Arsenal-boss-Arsene-Wenger-wants-ban-divers.html

'foreign players have caused the problem'

wenger was notorious for bringing in foreign players. he today said foreign players dive and caused the problem. so there's my justification.

Ollie the Optimist
16-04-2012, 10:43 PM

wenger today:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2130262/Arsenal-boss-Arsene-Wenger-wants-ban-divers.html

wenger was notorious for bringing in foreign players. he today said foreign players dive and caused the problem. so there's my justification.

i actually am lost for words here. i cannot believe you have just used that as your justification. do you realise how fucking stupid you sound?

wenger signed foreginers yes, but before he came here, there were foreigners right? so its not his fault at all. if he signed the first foreginer then yes you have a point but he didnt so you are an idiot

Olivier's xmas twist
16-04-2012, 10:46 PM

wenger today:

So Wenger said to our foreign player to go and dive did he?

KSE Comedy Club
16-04-2012, 11:39 PM

wenger today:

wenger was notorious for bringing in foreign players. he today said foreign players dive and caused the problem. so there's my justification.And the irony is that you link to an article where wenger is calling on the FA to punish divers with 3 match bans :lol:

Japan Shaking All Over
17-04-2012, 08:27 AM

wenger today:

To be fair by saying he made diving acceptable you are insinuating that he is happy with the practice

But the quote that foreign players caused the problem indicates otherwise as he quite clearly identifies diving with the word problem.

That does not either really support an argument that by crowding the squad with foreign players Wenger was in fact creating a grand masterplan to win domestic and European glory through the art of diving.

But not matter if you feel you're justified or not, it obviously didnt work as

1) we havent won anything for 7 odd years
2) Wenger couldnt find another ten players quite as skilled in the art as Eboue

No doubt you will tell me I havent read your post correctly, tell you what do yourself a favour and save your breath

Kano
17-04-2012, 08:34 AM
who cares if he made diving acceptable. someone had to.

just brings this isolated little island back in line with the rest of europe and makes it one less thing for everyone to laugh at.

She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
17-04-2012, 11:15 AM
So Wenger said to our foreign player to go and dive did he?

no i never said that, excellent fabrication of words once again.

i completely comprehend the fact that there were foreign players in this league prior to wengers arrival and players were diving, but its more the fact that when our players were diving he turned a blind eye to it, which i guess other managers still do, but it was never much of an issue until monsieur arrived. it seemed to increase tend fold afterwards.

Coney
17-04-2012, 11:24 AM

no i never said that, excellent fabrication of words once again.

i completely comprehend the fact that there were foreign players in this league prior to wengers arrival and players were diving, but its more the fact that when our players were diving he turned a blind eye to it, which i guess other managers still do, but it was never much of an issue until monsieur arrived. it seemed to increase tend fold afterwards.

He actually said..

'It’s right that diving has come from foreign players but the English players learned quickly,'

Which is not unreasonable. It was more common outside the English league before the 90s - not to say that English lads did not dive - they did, but it was more common in, for instance, Italy.

Refs are partly to blame because they have allowed a situation where a forward can deliberately trail a leg or go close to the defender so that they can 'win a penalty'. The very idea of ' winning a penalty' is already wrong - that implies it is OK to do that. (This is not the same as running into the box and taking on a defender so that he is likely to have to foul to stop you - that is legit.)

She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
17-04-2012, 11:30 AM
He actually said..

Which is not unreasonable. It was more common outside the English league before the 90s - not to say that English lads did not dive - they did, but it was more common in, for instance, Italy.

Refs are partly to blame because they have allowed a situation where a forward can deliberately trail a leg or go close to the defender so that they can 'win a penalty'. The very idea of ' winning a penalty' is already wrong - that implies it is OK to do that. (This is not the same as running into the box and taking on a defender so that he is likely to have to foul to stop you - that is legit.)

aye, which is one reason why modern football has gone downhill.

you have people like andy gray analysing every small detail of a tackle and incident, trying to be clever about it. all it does is add further red tape to an already controversial sport. football is easy but the constant analysation has made it shite and complex. even an offside decision takes up 4 hours of debating.

i remember when andy gray was at sky sports and a controversial penalty decision was given. at half time he'd slow down and say 'ahhh but look theres contact, so he can go down'.

what utter rubbish?! just because there's 'contact' a player can go down? no. there has to be meaningful contact. otherwise this sport will turn into a noncontact sport in 15 years time, which it already is tbf.

Olivier's xmas twist
17-04-2012, 12:30 PM
aye, which is one reason why modern football has gone downhill.you have people like andy gray analysing every small detail of a tackle and incident, trying to be clever about it. all it does is add further red tape to an already controversial sport. football is easy but the constant analysation has made it shite and complex. even an offside decision takes up 4 hours of debating.

i remember when andy gray was at sky sports and a controversial penalty decision was given. at half time he'd slow down and say 'ahhh but look theres contact, so he can go down'.

what utter rubbish?! just because there's 'contact' a player can go down? no. there has to be meaningful contact. otherwise this sport will turn into a noncontact sport in 15 years time, which it already is tbf.

Ist time ever i think ill agree with you. The game is deffo not what it use to be.

They tell us Barca vs Real are the too best teams in the world and the games between them will be alwsome.

All we see is one team diving cheating going around kicking people and the other is Barca.

Its embarssing thatthe biggest game around the world ends being an embaressment to the game and the people at the top let it happen.

As for the dving here, managers do need to take control and fine players for doing etc. Refs are poor enough without having to have more help from these cheats.

And the worse thing about the english players who dive like yound their alwful at it.

Power n Glory
17-04-2012, 12:35 PM
aye, which is one reason why modern football has gone downhill.

you have people like andy gray analysing every small detail of a tackle and incident, trying to be clever about it. all it does is add further red tape to an already controversial sport. football is easy but the constant analysation has made it shite and complex. even an offside decision takes up 4 hours of debating.

Neville spoke about this yesterday and made a good point about. In order to get the decision, sometimes, you have to dive and we've seen it before. Players get their shirts dragged and it's not enough for them to tumble over in most cases, but if they don't go over the ref will play on. He went through a serious of clips and made a good point about it. It's not a black and white issue and to be honest, there are more important things in football to worry about.

Coney
17-04-2012, 12:55 PM
Neville spoke about this yesterday and made a good point about. In order to get the decision, sometimes, you have to dive and we've seen it before. Players get their shirts dragged and it's not enough for them to tumble over in most cases, but if they don't go over the ref will play on. He went through a serious of clips and made a good point about it. It's not a black and white issue and to be honest, there are more important things in football to worry about.

Refs ignore loads of shirt-pulling and arms round players when free kicks and corners are taken as well. It is a foul and if it is in the box, it is a penalty, plain and simple. The usual response to this is the same you get to players arguing with the ref - that if you enforce it the way players are at the moment, you'd end up with loads of yellows and second-yellow-reds. But players are just not that stupid. You'd have one weekend where the thicker ones got sent off after which they would see the light and stop doing it. Just needs someone at the FA with the balls to just get it sorted. Ah..... I think I see the problem.

Kano
17-04-2012, 12:56 PM
you want shiny new stadiums, plush pitches, high quality players and all the trimmings? then you have to swallow all the crap sky throw at you. the positives far outweigh the negatives in modern football.

neville was spot on last night.

Coney
17-04-2012, 12:58 PM
you want shiny new stadiums, plush pitches, high quality players and all the trimmings? then you have to swallow all the crap sky throw at you. the positives far outweigh the negatives in modern football.

neville was spot on last night.

No. I just want the Arsenal to win the CL and the PL.

Joker
17-04-2012, 12:59 PM
Wenger failed to congratulate Wigan on their win yesterday, didn't shake Martinez's hand either. Not exactly evidence of "class" is it? RVP also was ungracious by pushing Caldwell away when he went for a handshake. I'm not overly bothered by these incidents but it does highlight the rank hypocrisy of those who claim we occupy some moral highground and are classier than other teams, when we're not. I've accepted that so don't get flustered by these incidents. However, for the "true believers" they'll have to explain how these sorts of incidents (remember Ferguson did praise Wigan when they beat Man Utd) fit into the narrative of us being a classy team. Maybe those supporters can be honest and say this "class" thing was never about football, rather it was a piece of class snobbery highlighted how we have a greater proportion of middle class, affluent supporters than other clubs.

Kano
17-04-2012, 01:00 PM
Ist time ever i think ill agree with you. The game is deffo not what it use to be.

They tell us Barca vs Real are the too best teams in the world and the games between them will be alwsome.

All we see is one team diving cheating going around kicking people and the other is Barca.

Its embarssing thatthe biggest game around the world ends being an embaressment to the game and the people at the top let it happen.

As for the dving here, managers do need to take control and fine players for doing etc. Refs are poor enough without having to have more help from these cheats.

And the worse thing about the english players who dive like yound their alwful at it.
and that hasn’t changed in god knows how long. the difference? you get to see them play every game now, so you can actually see what happens.

don’t for a minute think that there was more ‘honour’ between them 20 years ago.

no such thing as cheats – just those smart enough to take advantage.

there is no honour is sport, only the will to win.

GP
17-04-2012, 01:07 PM
Wenger failed to congratulate Wigan on their win yesterday

Arsenal.com ‏ @Arsenal
Wenger: "I congratulate Wigan, they did well."

Fail

Kano
17-04-2012, 01:07 PM
No. I just want the Arsenal to win the CL and the PL.
my post wasn't mean for you

GP
17-04-2012, 01:12 PM
RVP also was ungracious by pushing Caldwell away when he went for a handshake

http://29.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m2lflz86ub1r1fq7do1_500.gif

fail

Olivier's xmas twist
17-04-2012, 01:22 PM
Wenger failed to congratulate Wigan on their win yesterday, didn't shake Martinez's hand either. Not exactly evidence of "class" is it? RVP also was ungracious by pushing Caldwell away when he went for a handshake. I'm not overly bothered by these incidents but it does highlight the rank hypocrisy of those who claim we occupy some moral highground and are classier than other teams, when we're not. I've accepted that so don't get flustered by these incidents. However, for the "true believers" they'll have to explain how these sorts of incidents (remember Ferguson did praise Wigan when they beat Man Utd) fit into the narrative of us being a classy team. Maybe those supporters can be honest and say this "class" thing was never about football, rather it was a piece of class snobbery highlighted how we have a greater proportion of middle class, affluent supporters than other clubs.

Maybe if Cadwell had not been a twat throughout the game maybe RVP would have shown more respect to him.

ANd wenger did praise Wigan actually he said they played very well and we were poor.

Yep your so not bothered you decided to post it on here.

End of the days even if he did not shake hands who cares.

Shaking hands is not a big deal and i don't see why its made a big thing off. it does not showyou have no class at all.

Olivier's xmas twist
17-04-2012, 01:26 PM
Arsenal.com ‏ @Arsenal
Wenger: "I congratulate Wigan, they did well."

Fail

:lol

Joker :pal: thats was happens when you try to be clever tbh.

People need to check facts before a post things to boost their agurments.

Japan Shaking All Over
17-04-2012, 03:06 PM
:lol

Joker :pal: thats was happens when you try to be clever tbh.

People need to check facts before a post things to boost their agurments.

I think we are all guilty of getting our facts wrong from time to time (apart from NQ who is a factual god and Cripps who never gets them right)

But what is wrong is the way at least one poster on GW seems to go around in utter desperation looking for something negative to say about the team especially Wenger and RvP. Its ot even done in any attempt to start a debate, its pure negativity and like Charlie said backed up by nothing at all.

Funny thing is. . .I actuallt look forward to reading his posts. . .makes me keep in mind the kind of fan I hope I never become. . .and if I do please, someone put me out of my misery

Cripps_orig
17-04-2012, 03:24 PM
I think we are all guilty of getting our facts wrong from time to time (apart from NQ who is a factual god and Cripps who never gets them right)

But what is wrong is the way at least one poster on GW seems to go around in utter desperation looking for something negative to say about the team especially Wenger and RvP. Its ot even done in any attempt to start a debate, its pure negativity and like Charlie said backed up by nothing at all.

Funny thing is. . .I actuallt look forward to reading his posts. . .makes me keep in mind the kind of fan I hope I never become. . .and if I do please, someone put me out of my miseryHows Gervinho doing? Still the best player of all time as you thought he was?

She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
17-04-2012, 11:15 PM

i dont agree with that. so what, are we supposed to passively accept the fact that diving has taken over our game and do nothing about it? what kind of attitude is that? what are the people at the fa paid to do, sit back, collect their cheques and let the game go into disarray?

we're supposed to be making our game better, not worse. players are supposed to be role models to millions of children worldwide so what kind of defeatist attitude is 'well its happening so we should just accept it'? its completely the last thing we should be doing and the fa should be taking action to stop it. if we let diving go when will it end? snapping legs in half? punching players? racism?

there may be a lot of 'more important' things in football, like financial fair play and making sure prestigious clubs like pompey don't go out of business, but letting standards slip as part of an acceptance philosophy is completely the wrong thing to do. diving is in the spotlight right at this very moment and the fa have the perfect opportunity to prevent it gaining momentum by acting harshly on players they suspect are guilty.

KSE Comedy Club
17-04-2012, 11:30 PM
i dont agree with that. so what, are we supposed to passively accept the fact that diving has taken over our game and do nothing about it? what kind of attitude is that? what are the people at the fa paid to do, sit back, collect their cheques and let the game go into disarray?

we're supposed to be making our game better, not worse. players are supposed to be role models to millions of children worldwide so what kind of defeatist attitude is 'well its happening so we should just accept it'? its completely the last thing we should be doing and the fa should be taking action to stop it. if we let diving go when will it end? snapping legs in half? punching players? racism?

there may be a lot of 'more important' things in football, like financial fair play and making sure prestigious clubs like pompey don't go out of business, but letting standards slip as part of an acceptance philosophy is completely the wrong thing to do. diving is in the spotlight right at this very moment and the fa have the perfect opportunity to prevent it gaining momentum by acting harshly on players they suspect are guilty.I agree with this completely.

Nevermind what Neville says on the subject, diving is cheating, end of story.
It should be looked at and an effort made to eradicate it from the professional game. If we sit back and say its ok, it's tactical, then the game wil go to the dogs.

We'll end up with players falling over all over the pitch, on the ball, off the ball, in the tunnel!, etc. Its a joke to suggest its alright to do it.

Neville :doh:

Eddie guerrero would be proud, god rest his soul.

Japan Shaking All Over
18-04-2012, 01:30 AM
Hows Gervinho doing? Still the best player of all time as you thought he was?

Being as effective in his 5 minute cameo role as Walcott is in his 90 minute full game

Kano
18-04-2012, 08:47 AM

there may be a lot of 'more important' things in football, like financial fair play and making sure prestigious clubs like pompey don't go out of business, but letting standards slip as part of an acceptance philosophy is completely the wrong thing to do. diving is in the spotlight right at this very moment and the fa have the perfect opportunity to prevent it gaining momentum by acting harshly on players they suspect are guilty.

yep, you swallow it or fuck off. simple as that. you can't change the nature of man. whether it's diving, kicking or encouraging the ref to punish the opposition, there will always, always be cheating and there will always be certain areas that are worse than others, that are seemingly not being dealt with.

you can suspect but unless you can conclusively prove someone is guilty, you are on a hiding to nothing.

She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
18-04-2012, 09:39 AM

what a horrible attitude and awful argument.

'cant change nature of man', the problem is its not nature of man, it isnt something natural. its something artificial that has slowly embedded our game through gradualism and is now widespread. the degree of cheating and trying to defraud the referee has increased ten fold over the past 20 years, maybe because there's more at stake, but it still doesnt make it okay nor does it make it an excuse to let it go.

there will always be cheating, but to turn a blind eye and let the game go into disarray epitomises the attitude we should not be taking.

Kano
18-04-2012, 09:46 AM

what a horrible attitude and awful argument.

oh no, do we have a purist on our hands?

the 70's are that way >>>>>>

She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
18-04-2012, 09:52 AM
http://i.imgur.com/4EyAW.gif

excellent coherent argument, well played sir.

BOBN
18-04-2012, 10:00 AM
good thoughts on diving. people who go on and on about it are so boring

Good Point On Diving
I had to laugh at the streams of disproportionate moral outrage pouring out of the English media in response to Ashley Young's dive yesterday. You'd think the Mail had discovered a new drug.

Practitioners of the dark art don't often let on, but defending is inherently cynical. Key skills include knowing the right time and place to give away a free kick, blocking off opponents when the ref is looking the other way and pushing a striker just hard enough to unbalance him without knocking him over. And, of course, appearing unhinged enough to make opponents fear for their safety without getting sent off all the time. As every Stoke fan knows, footballers aren't half as good when they fear for their safety. Nothing plays into our hands more than a forward determined to uphold the sacred spirit of the game and play proper English football for real men who stay on their feet innit. As long as we can avoid knocking them over, we can foul them all we want and the ref will only rarely give a free kick.

The pundits will always side with the defenders. I bet no one even knows who it was that grabbed Danny Welbeck's shirt as he was running in behind against Wigan last week. There was no universal outcry or condemnation of this blatant act of cheating. In England at least, defenders have somehow created a moral monopoly on cynicism in football. When a defender tugs a player back, happy to take a yellow card in order to stop a promising break, it's described as 'using his experience', or 'being quite clever there', or any one of an array of euphemisms. Never 'cheating', which is what it is. Only forwards are capable of 'cheating', thereby making them a 'disgrace' and prompting calls for all kinds of ridiculous punishments as 'the only way we'll stamp out this blight on our game.'

Spare us.
Will, Manchester

Kano
18-04-2012, 10:03 AM
excellent coherent argument, well played sir.
an argument built on sand deserves to be pissed on

LDG
18-04-2012, 10:05 AM
an argument built on sand deserves to be pissed on

Like your face.

:unsure:

Kano
18-04-2012, 10:08 AM
as long as it's free

Niall_Quinn
18-04-2012, 11:22 AM

All teams need to be equal. Then there needs to be a small group of people who are more equal than the rest who should dictate. All players should be on the same wages. The crowd should wear the same clothes, preferably boiler suits with a picture of the glorious leader stamped on the front. This country should be renamed North Korea FFS! Why hasn't this happened yet?

Back in the real world, there's no proof Wenger didn't shake Martinez's hand. It could have been done at any time after the game. Was it done in front of the cameras, did both managers ensure they presented their best profile? Don't know, hard to be worried about such triviality. Caldwell is a genuinely classless prick. If some **** comes up to you in the street and starts mouthing off at you, do you take it, get on your knees and ask if he would like his cock sucked?

Oh you do! Well fair enough. Good argument then.

Olivier's xmas twist
18-04-2012, 01:09 PM
All teams need to be equal. Then there needs to be a small group of people who are more equal than the rest who should dictate. All players should be on the same wages. The crowd should wear the same clothes, preferably boiler suits with a picture of the glorious leader stamped on the front. This country should be renamed North Korea FFS! Why hasn't this happened yet?

Back in the real world, there's no proof Wenger didn't shake Martinez's hand. It could have been done at any time after the game. Was it done in front of the cameras, did both managers ensure they presented their best profile? Don't know, hard to be worried about such triviality. Caldwell is a genuinely classless prick. If some **** comes up to you in the street and starts mouthing off at you, do you take it, get on your knees and ask if he would like his cock sucked?

this.

Olivier's xmas twist
18-04-2012, 01:13 PM
Being as effective in his 5 minute cameo role as Walcott is in his 90 minute full game

Özil's Panoramic View
18-04-2012, 01:58 PM

top post

Japan Shaking All Over
18-04-2012, 02:48 PM

Joker's new name - Gobbler

Kano
18-04-2012, 03:03 PM
Rim?

Joker
18-04-2012, 03:13 PM
Wow, even questioning the idea that the opinion of richer fans' counts more than others seems to invite accusations of communism from the free market fundamentalists.

Niall_Quinn
18-04-2012, 03:30 PM
Wow, even questioning the idea that the opinion of richer fans' counts more than others seems to invite accusations of communism from the free market fundamentalists.

Well I tried being jealous of the rich but it didn't get me anywhere. So now I'm going to use concepts such as "free", "liberty", "choice", "discipline", "work", "commitment" and the whole range of other swear words despised by the gimme, gimme, poor me, it's not fair class and see if I can put a few quid in my pocket. I won't even protest (too much) when some fucker comes along and takes half of it in the name of "equality", as in we're equal because I do all the work, the other geezer sits on his arse and we split the proceeds 50-50. That's "fair". But I can see the argument for the layabout getting a bit more than the worker, just to be super fair. I mean what the hell is a "free market fundamentalist" anyway? Somebody who is fanatical about freedom? Doesn't sound that bad really? What's the big catch you are so concerned about?

Joker
18-04-2012, 04:49 PM
Well I tried being jealous of the rich but it didn't get me anywhere. So now I'm going to use concepts such as "free", "liberty", "choice", "discipline", "work", "commitment" and the whole range of other swear words despised by the gimme, gimme, poor me, it's not fair class and see if I can put a few quid in my pocket. I won't even protest (too much) when some fucker comes along and takes half of it in the name of "equality", as in we're equal because I do all the work, the other geezer sits on his arse and we split the proceeds 50-50. That's "fair". But I can see the argument for the layabout getting a bit more than the worker, just to be super fair. I mean what the hell is a "free market fundamentalist" anyway? Somebody who is fanatical about freedom? Doesn't sound that bad really? What's the big catch you are so concerned about?

There are 14 applicants for every job at the moment, do you really think that unemployment is because people are "sitting on their arse" and not being bothered to work? The free market requires unemployed workers, so that wages can be kept low and workers can be kept in check, so that if they wish to speak out against exploitation, the firm can threaten to fire him and hire one of the huge army of unemployed workers desperate for a job. You seem to have swallowed the government's line about the unemployed hook, line and sinker.

GP
18-04-2012, 04:54 PM
You talk an awful lot of shit.

No offence, like.

Dennis Bendtner
18-04-2012, 04:56 PM
Free market fundamentalism has made a glorious return.

Cripps_orig
18-04-2012, 04:57 PM
Someone define Free Market Fundydoodys whatever

Olivier's xmas twist
18-04-2012, 05:01 PM

Ask Joker to PM you seen as he seems to spout that crap all the time.

Cripps_orig
18-04-2012, 05:04 PM
Tbf, others have mentioned it as well

Fuck knows what it means though

Niall_Quinn
18-04-2012, 05:10 PM
There are 14 applicants for every job at the moment, do you really think that unemployment is because people are "sitting on their arse" and not being bothered to work? The free market requires unemployed workers, so that wages can be kept low and workers can be kept in check, so that if they wish to speak out against exploitation, the firm can threaten to fire him and hire one of the huge army of unemployed workers desperate for a job. You seem to have swallowed the government's line about the unemployed hook, line and sinker.

I haven't swallowed anything, not even the Socialist Workers manifesto. I don't for a second believe every person out of a job is a layabout. What I do believe is that people who demand the distribution of wealth based on class hatred and some fucked up workers of the world utopian view that has never been realised are as badly misguided as it's possible to be. We've swung too far towards the rule of the rich, the correction required should not be absolute power for the envious.

Niall_Quinn
18-04-2012, 05:12 PM

It's when somebody else has something you want but don't want to work for and they won't accept your entitlement to steal it from them.