PDA

View Full Version : The Film Thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 18

Thierrymon
23-05-2015, 08:00 AM
Mad Max :bow: So good.

Jurassic World out in a few weeks. Looka kinda dumb yet I really want to see it.

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
23-05-2015, 11:14 AM
Watched Dawn of the Planet of the Apes last night

Really enjoyed it, albeit not the most original premise of how two races are doomed not to co exist because they are slaves to their nature.

Marc Overmars
23-05-2015, 11:17 AM
Watched Dawn of the Planet of the Apes last night

Really enjoyed it, albeit not the most original premise of how two races are doomed not to co exist because they are slaves to their nature.

Great film tbh, as is the first one.

Looking forward to Jurassic World, should be fun for nostalgic reasons.

Letters
23-05-2015, 01:34 PM
Very excited about Jurassic World, the original was the first film where the effects made me go :blink:
They were quite smart in that the original trailers didn't give too much away in terms of what the dinosaurs looked like, when I saw it in the cinema I remember thinking "Wow! That IS exactly how I imagined dinosaurs looking".

Spielberg :bow:

Master Splinter
23-05-2015, 04:32 PM
Señor Spielbergo :bow:.

Thierrymon
29-05-2015, 09:53 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eEUO9UxUEPc

Looks kinda shit tbh. Hopefully I am wrong.

Really wanna see the new Pixar movie though. They haven't done anything decent since Up but I've heard this one is a return to form.

Niall_Quinn
29-05-2015, 10:14 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eEUO9UxUEPc

Looks kinda shit tbh. Hopefully I am wrong.

Really wanna see the new Pixar movie though. They haven't done anything decent since Up but I've heard this one is a return to form.

Why can't they leave this alone? Same as Alien. One classic movie please, nothing more.

Master Splinter
29-05-2015, 03:28 PM
Why can't they leave this alone? Same as Alien. One classic movie please, nothing more.

You could just forget the others exist. But Terminator 2 and Aliens were special, top, top quality as well tbf.

The original Alien and Terminator films were really tight, slick, streamlined and thrillingly efficient products of the 70s.

The sequels were mega-budget action extravaganzas and products of the effects-driven 80s and 90s, but just as thrilling in their own way.

But the others in the respective series were indeed completely pointless. The new Terminator looks really poor. The Sarah Connor Chronicles series with Lena Headey was genuinely interesting though and was cut short. Daenerys attacking Cersei on all fronts it seems.

Thierrymon
29-05-2015, 10:31 PM
The next Alien movie is being made by the guy that did District 9. Hopefully its District 9 quality and not Elysium quality.

Apparently they are going to continue the story from Aliens and forget 3 and Resurrection existed.

Niall_Quinn
29-05-2015, 10:34 PM
Apparently they are going to continue the story from Aliens and forget 3 and Resurrection existed.

That's what I love about GW.

MS makes a suggestion and Hollywood jumps to it.

Master Splinter
29-05-2015, 11:05 PM
The next Alien movie is being made by the guy that did District 9. Hopefully its District 9 quality and not Elysium quality.

Elysium was bafflingly terrible. It was inexplicably bad. Mind-fuckingly stupid.

How did he go from District 9 to that?

Power n Glory
30-05-2015, 09:00 AM
You could just forget the others exist. But Terminator 2 and Aliens were special, top, top quality as well tbf.

The original Alien and Terminator films were really tight, slick, streamlined and thrillingly efficient products of the 70s.

The sequels were mega-budget action extravaganzas and products of the effects-driven 80s and 90s, but just as thrilling in their own way.

But the others in the respective series were indeed completely pointless. The new Terminator looks really poor. The Sarah Connor Chronicles series with Lena Headey was genuinely interesting though and was cut short. Daenerys attacking Cersei on all fronts it seems.

Shame that Sarah Connor Chronicles was cut short. It had potential and it should have had it's chance to flesh out a full story. Got to applaud companies like HBO that stick by a series and ignore the ratings.

I was hoping the Terminator film with Christian Bale would continue on some of the themes from Sarah Connor Chronicles but it didn't.

Power n Glory
30-05-2015, 09:01 AM
Elysium was bafflingly terrible. It was inexplicably bad. Mind-fuckingly stupid.

How did he go from District 9 to that?

Good concept, poor execution. Very poor.

Syn
30-05-2015, 09:50 AM
For good concept, #decent execution, I recommend Ex Machina: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0470752/

GP
30-05-2015, 10:06 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bS5P_LAqiVg

Power n Glory
30-05-2015, 01:05 PM
For good concept, #decent execution, I recommend Ex Machina: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0470752/

Heard good things about this one and it's on my to watch list.

Master Splinter
30-05-2015, 02:11 PM
Shame that Sarah Connor Chronicles was cut short. It had potential and it should have had it's chance to flesh out a full story. Got to applaud companies like HBO that stick by a series and ignore the ratings.

I was hoping the Terminator film with Christian Bale would continue on some of the themes from Sarah Connor Chronicles but it didn't.

If it had been made a few years later in today's marketplace, it would have survived and gone on to become a real cult hit or bigger because a Netflix/Amazon would have picked it up. Or even better, a HBO/Showtime giving it an unlimited budget.

It respected and developed the ideas from the first two, whereas the film sequels are like cheap fan service. Which no fan actually wanted.

Power n Glory
31-05-2015, 07:54 AM
If it had been made a few years later in today's marketplace, it would have survived and gone on to become a real cult hit or bigger because a Netflix/Amazon would have picked it up. Or even better, a HBO/Showtime giving it an unlimited budget.

It respected and developed the ideas from the first two, whereas the film sequels are like cheap fan service. Which no fan actually wanted.

It was really well done and thought out. A must for all Terminator fans.

Netflix has really changed the game. Production companies now have the freedom to be more creative and take more risks with their shows. No longer have to pander to a certain audience for commercial appeal or worry about getting cancelled because of ratings.

Heard great things about Daredevil and I'm hoping Marvel bring The Punisher to Netflix. So many possibilities with such a platform.

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
31-05-2015, 11:20 AM
Went to see Mad Max: Fury Road with a mate last night, totally mental...unrelenting assault on the eyes and ears for two hours.
Fun to watch, a film that expresses itself through action rather than words....definitely worth seeing (especially in 3D)
There is a gender divide element to the film but there isn't the overt Feminist angle that has been suggested.

GP
06-06-2015, 08:47 PM
John Wick :bow:

Holy shit that was cool!

Thierrymon
06-06-2015, 09:33 PM
John Wick :bow:

Holy shit that was cool!

The best bit is the bit when he shoots all those guys. Pretty much the whole movie.

The puppy :upset:

Marc Overmars
08-06-2015, 10:51 AM
I'm off work on Friday but have nothing to do, would it be weird if I went to the cinema on my own? I want to watch Avengers before they stop showing it. :unsure:

Syn
08-06-2015, 12:26 PM
is it a bit weird but who cares. You're not going to see anyone you know at a cinema on a Friday morning anyway. Wear your hood up, tracksuit, smuggle in some chips and a bottle of beer. Chew loudly. Make a phone call. Get it all out of the system.

Marc Overmars
08-06-2015, 12:47 PM
Fuck it, booked a ticket. Only 6 quid for a 13:00 showing. :lol:

GP
08-06-2015, 01:03 PM
There's nothing un-cool about going cinema on your own.

Letters does it all the time.

Letters
08-06-2015, 02:13 PM
Years ago a colleague told me he did that sometimes if there was something he wanted to see but didn't know anyone who was interested. Struck me as a bit odd. Think I only did it once, back when I worked 4 days a week so used to have days to myself, before the MrsL era.

Went to see The Simpsons movie then...something else, one of the Die Hards possibly. The timing was such that I went pretty much straight from one to the other.
:cool:

GP
08-06-2015, 02:21 PM
See?

Letters
08-06-2015, 04:10 PM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-33050289

FIFA :pal:

GP
08-06-2015, 04:21 PM
Tim Roth played Sepp Blatter?? :haha:

Letters
08-06-2015, 07:02 PM
"About Time"

Richard Curtis has done it again...

Xhaka Can’t
09-06-2015, 01:44 PM
Didn't Jon Oliver take the piss out of the FIFA movie ahead of the World Cup last year?

Letters
09-06-2015, 04:09 PM
I think he did. Absolutely love 'Last Week Tonight'.

Marc Overmars
14-06-2015, 05:38 PM
Jurassic World. :bow:

Loved it. Stayed true to everything that made the original films great.

I nerded out when the kids stumbled across the remains of the old park. :geek:

Thierrymon
14-06-2015, 10:04 PM
Jurassic World. :bow:

Loved it. Stayed true to everything that made the original films great.

I nerded out when the kids stumbled across the remains of the old park. :geek:

My girlfriend loved it too. I thought it was ok.

One of those movies where you need to leave your brain at the door as the plot is mind numbingly dumb. But some of the scenes were well done.

Going to see the new Pixar one this week. Hopefully it is better than Frozen.

Shaqiri Is Boss
16-06-2015, 06:22 PM
Looper. Quite enjoyed that it went somewhere completely different to where I was expecting i.e. I didn't even realise the kid and mother were in it. The kid succeeding in being creepy as fuck. A few things didn't make much sense, but then it's a time travel movie so I guess they're not meant to. And ever were. Although I was sure the Kid Blue character was Abe's younger self and that just stopped dead in its tracks, which was kinda annoying. Still, interesting enough.

GP
17-06-2015, 10:24 AM
Anyone fancy giving themselves a headache?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=5002&v=oBQVvEMc-VQ

Thierrymon
22-06-2015, 01:19 AM
Really liked Inside Out. A little predictable but still great.

GP
22-06-2015, 08:22 AM
Birdman.

wtf?

Letters
22-06-2015, 08:30 AM
Oh yeah. I saw that on the plane home. I rather enjoyed it. But it is a bit :blink: at times.

Letters
22-06-2015, 09:38 AM
"The Imitation Game"

Also saw this on the plane home. Pretty good. Plays a bit fast and loose with the facts and over-simplifies some things but I guess it has to.
#decent film overall.

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
22-06-2015, 05:52 PM
Watched a double bill of formula one related films at the weekend

Rush and Senna

Rush is fun to watch with Ron Howard's populist touch
Senna is an excellent documentary in that it uses its footage rather than anecdotal interviews to tell its story.

Power n Glory
23-06-2015, 07:16 PM
Both fantastic movies. Really enjoyed both.

Niall_Quinn
23-06-2015, 09:55 PM
Fury Road :haha:

A Mad Max film without Max :haha:

The film itself is diabolical, terrible characters, non-existent plot (which to be fair is standard with later Max films), but the creativity of the director makes it worth a watch. Film has a strange mood which is infectious if you can somehow shut out the female cast.

Latest Jurassic Park, bugged out half way through. Garbage. Ironic in that the film falls for its own premise, bigger, louder, so OTT you have to rely almost entirely on idiocy, which is what this film excels at.

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
23-06-2015, 10:33 PM
Fury Road :haha:

A Mad Max film without Max :haha:

The film itself is diabolical, terrible characters, non-existent plot (which to be fair is standard with later Max films), but the creativity of the director makes it worth a watch. Film has a strange mood which is infectious if you can somehow shut out the female cast.

Latest Jurassic Park, bugged out half way through. Garbage. Ironic in that the film falls for its own premise, bigger, louder, so OTT you have to rely almost entirely on idiocy, which is what this film excels at.

You've got to love the guy chained to giant speakers playing thrash metal guitar during the pursuit.

I think the point with the film is that it's not meant to have great character depth or exposition it's meant to be the post-apocalyptic equivalent of stomp with explosions, and chalky palloured henchmen with blood cancer.

Letters
05-07-2015, 01:45 PM
"Jurassic World"

Did what it said on the tin. Bit silly but enjoyable enough.

Letters
08-07-2015, 01:20 PM
"Lucy"

Meh. Bit silly really, but OKish.

GP
08-07-2015, 01:49 PM
Nightcrawler.

Jake Gyllenhaal is pretty cool.

Syn
08-07-2015, 03:32 PM
Possibly my favourite film of 2014. Very cool

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
12-07-2015, 10:34 AM
Watched Terminator Genisys, it's nostalgic fun in places but has nothing really to add to the franchise....that it's better than Terminator Salvation only reinforces how terrible that film was.

Letters
12-07-2015, 04:12 PM
Guardians of the Galaxy

Meh. It's fine, pretty funny in places, but it's more of the same.
The do seem to be making the same film over and over again

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
12-07-2015, 04:42 PM
Guardians of the Galaxy

Meh. It's fine, pretty funny in places, but it's more of the same.
The do seem to be making the same film over and over again

I think it's hard to do original with films these days, personally I really liked guardians of the Galaxy....genuinely funny, likeable characters who are more anti hero than the usual superhero fare served up by Marvel.

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
12-07-2015, 04:43 PM
But then from what I've been told, this mirrors the comic books where the subject matter is a bit more dark humour than its contemporaries.

Letters
12-07-2015, 04:59 PM
I think it's hard to do original with films these days, personally I really liked guardians of the Galaxy....genuinely funny, likeable characters who are more anti hero than the usual superhero fare served up by Marvel.
It is hard to make original films but all these Marvel ones are just cookie cutter films and there are so many of them. I guess so long as people keep going to see them, they'll keep making them though.

GP
12-07-2015, 04:59 PM
'Tis the Disney way.

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
12-07-2015, 05:17 PM
It is hard to make original films but all these Marvel ones are just cookie cutter films and there are so many of them. I guess so long as people keep going to see them, they'll keep making them though.

I agree for the most part, but i think Guardians of the Galaxy had something about it that was generally bit more fun than super hero films by numbers.
I would actually say that and the Lego Movie were two of the best films from 2014.

Marc Overmars
15-07-2015, 11:09 PM
Saw Terminator Genisys tonight.

It was really poor, the plot was all over the place. I'm not adverse to mindless action films that require a bit of a leap of faith but this just took the piss. To preserve the memory of the 2 original films, I hope they don't bother with more.

Marc Overmars
17-07-2015, 10:57 PM
Ted 2. :haha:

Letters
18-07-2015, 09:52 PM
"Purgatory's kind of like the in betweeny one. You weren't reeeealy shit, but you weren't all that great either. Like Tottenham"

:lol:

In Bruges :bow:

GP
18-07-2015, 10:12 PM
Gone Girl.

Fucking hell.

Power n Glory
20-07-2015, 11:15 PM
Saw Terminator Genisys tonight.

It was really poor, the plot was all over the place. I'm not adverse to mindless action films that require a bit of a leap of faith but this just took the piss. To preserve the memory of the 2 original films, I hope they don't bother with more.

Thought the same. That guy that played Kyle Reese was awful. He has the touch of death. Fucked up the last Die Hard movie as well.

Thought this film was the worst one out of all of them. Really not a fan of Rise of the Machines and think Salvation is the best of the post T2 era but an average film overall, but this new one was piss poor. Poor plot, no pacing or suspense.

Syn
21-07-2015, 02:23 PM
True Story. 6/10. #decent

Master Splinter
21-07-2015, 04:51 PM

I've generally liked the Marvel films since they started the Marvel cinematic universe thing with Iron Man. The Edward Norton Hulk was a bit pointless and Iron Man 2 was a bit of a stopgap, but on the whole they're about as good as you can expect from adaptations of billions of stories trying to appeal to a mainstream, all-ages audience.

Avengers 2 though, was really disappointing. It felt like Joss Whedon was on autopilot for the first time in his career. There was no real drama or peril, the viliains were weak, the humour felt forced and the 50,000 buildings and entire cities getting smashed in an identikit CGI mass brawl has outlived it's welcome more than Jar Jar Binks in Episode 1.

Master Splinter
21-07-2015, 05:04 PM
Jurassic World was crap too.

You could pick out any scene from the original and it would have more tension, excitement, wit and flair than anything seen in World.

You can't expect it to outdo the original or for a pub-teamer to match Spielberg's precision, but being so off-the-mark in regards to the tone, the plot, the characters and just basic internal logistics is terrible. And how is it that CGI still hasn't matched or surpassed a film from 1993?

Master Splinter
21-07-2015, 05:11 PM
Got round to seeing The Babadook recently.

I felt that it didn't prove effective enough on that basic explicit horror level for the other side of the film to fully leave a lasting impression. But it still has some interesting ideas and would probably be a film that would improve on repeated viewings, with the smaller details becoming more evident.

Shaqiri Is Boss
21-07-2015, 06:16 PM
Ted - alright I guess. The Flash Gordon scenes were decent enough but halfway through I just wanted to watch Airplane.

71 - very good. O'Connell was fantastic, though my favourite was probably the little Irish kid. Shame he didn't last long. Belfast looked like fun. I'm no expert on the Troubles by any means but it seemed authentic and plausible.

Imitation Game - overall I though it was quite good. Cumberbatch seemed in his element. They took a few (massive) liberties with the facts, not least the whole Soviet Spy thing, but then it is a film not a biography. I thought they laid it on a bit thick trying to convince you he was autistic though. Seemed a tad lazy "oh he's a computing genius he must be fucking mental and a right twat" when by all accounts he was actually a nice guy with a personality. And I'm a bit disappointed that Charles Dance just disappeared 3/4 of the way through.

GP
21-07-2015, 07:03 PM
Jurassic World was crap too.

You could pick out any scene from the original and it would have more tension, excitement, wit and flair than anything seen in World.

You can't expect it to outdo the original or for a pub-teamer to match Spielberg's precision, but being so off-the-mark in regards to the tone, the plot, the characters and just basic internal logistics is terrible. And how is it that CGI still hasn't matched or surpassed a film from 1993?

Also, why is Chris Pratt in everything these days?

Thierrymon
03-08-2015, 11:14 AM
Gone Girl.

Fucking hell.

Just watched that tonight. Totally compelling mindfuckery. Great stuff.

Maestro
03-08-2015, 06:54 PM
Just watched The Reluctant Fundamentalist, anyone watched this before?

Syn
03-08-2015, 07:00 PM
Just watched The Reluctant Fundamentalist, anyone watched this before?

Hadn't heard of it, but struggling for films to watch so I might give it a go. The film that is, not muslamic rayguns. Mixed reviews - is it any good?

Maestro
03-08-2015, 07:08 PM
Hadn't heard of it, but struggling for films to watch so I might give it a go. The film that is, not muslamic rayguns. Mixed reviews - is it any good?

no rayguns, but a very interesting take from the other side of the east/west cultural divide regards islamic fundamentalism. really enjoyed it for several reasons, a refreshing realism being chief amongst them.

watched it on netflix, bit long so settle in and watch when in no rush

Niall_Quinn
03-08-2015, 10:51 PM
no rayguns, but a very interesting take from the other side of the east/west cultural divide regards islamic fundamentalism. really enjoyed it for several reasons, a refreshing realism being chief amongst them.

watched it on netflix, bit long so settle in and watch when in no rush

If it is top, top, quality maybe I will watch it.

Syn
04-08-2015, 11:17 AM
Maccy, PGFC, LDG: New film/doc about test cricket is out. Playing daily at London Picturehouse.

http://deathofagentlemanfilm.com/about-film

LDG
04-08-2015, 11:23 AM
Maccy, PGFC, LDG: New film/doc about test cricket is out. Playing daily at London Picturehouse.

http://deathofagentlemanfilm.com/about-film

:good:

Cheers Sin.

Niall_Quinn
04-08-2015, 11:53 AM
If it is top, top, quality maybe I will watch it.

As it turns out, it was top, top quality. Worth the watch, which is rare these days.

Spoiler alert - basically it's a story about an Asian dude whose bird is fat and ugly.

GP
04-08-2015, 01:00 PM
As it turns out, it was top, top quality. Worth the watch, which is rare these days.

Spoiler alert - basically it's a story about an Asian dude whose bird is fat and ugly.

That doesn't narrow it down.

Letters
04-08-2015, 01:05 PM
It pretty much describes half of GW :shrug:

Maestro
04-08-2015, 03:59 PM

agreed, top, top quality like that elusive striker we're looking for...... now, about that fat bird 😅

Marc Overmars
06-08-2015, 10:17 AM
There's a new Jumanji movie coming out next year.

Hmm.

Letters
06-08-2015, 10:29 AM
There was a 2nd one which was pretty craptacular.
I imagine this will be a CGIfest and not that good.

GP
06-08-2015, 10:38 AM
Without Robin Williams, what's the point?

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
06-08-2015, 12:31 PM
There's a new Jumanji movie coming out next year.

Hmm.

I can't imagine there will be a STAMPEDE going to watch it

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
06-08-2015, 12:33 PM
Without Robin Williams, what's the point?

Well it's not a sequel it's a darker reimagining, the kids open the board game and find an unfeasibly hairy man who has died after hanging himself from a jungle vine after being trapped in the game for so long

Letters
06-08-2015, 12:49 PM
Too soon!

Master Splinter
06-08-2015, 05:29 PM
Jumanji :bow:.

The cartoon was top quality too. Albeit, exactly the same thing happened every week.

Zathura wasn't a sequel as such, more an alternate sci-fi take on it by the same writer.

Letters
06-08-2015, 06:44 PM
No, it wasn't really a sequel but it was a similar idea. Didn't like it that much

Master Splinter
06-08-2015, 07:45 PM
Kristen Stewart was in it.

It's enough to bring down any film.

She'd turn Singin' In The Rain into Taxi Driver with a mere cameo.

GP
06-08-2015, 07:52 PM
I quite like Kristen Stewart.

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
06-08-2015, 07:55 PM
Viddy well little brother Viddy well

Globalgunner
07-08-2015, 03:19 PM
Went to watch Antman last weekend. was prepared not too like it but came away grinning from ear to ear. Really nice film, one of the best storylines ever in a Marvel film. Some terrific individual performances too.

Letters
11-08-2015, 08:13 PM
Gone Girl.

Fucking hell.

I downloaded it based on this post and I concur :blink:

Syn
13-08-2015, 02:36 PM
all wimin are like that innit.

Saw that cricket doc 'death of a gentleman'. Pretty boring actually. Maccy, PGFC, LDG - avoid. Unless you find tedious corruption stories based on no evidence interesting. Although it did talk about how India is evil which is fairly accurate tbf.

GP
14-08-2015, 09:21 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJada0EoGlk

:doh:

Letters
14-08-2015, 10:19 AM
Stupid boys :doh:

Master Splinter
14-08-2015, 04:13 PM
I'm waiting for the Keeping Up Appearances film tbh.

GP
14-08-2015, 04:25 PM
Adam Sandler as Hyacinth Bucket.

Master Splinter
14-08-2015, 04:49 PM
Letters as Richard, the put-upon, under-the-thumb, bumbling, little old man.

Letters
14-08-2015, 07:18 PM
:lol: typecast tbh.

Letters
14-08-2015, 09:48 PM
"City of God"

Pretty good.

GP
16-08-2015, 06:08 PM
"Chappie"

Really, really dumb.

Loved it.

Letters
17-08-2015, 05:06 AM
Plane films:

"Still Alice"

:upset: Pretty good.

"Queen And Country"

Sequel to the excellent "Hope And Glory", not as good as that IMO but still pretty good.

Letters
23-08-2015, 05:40 AM
Plane films 2:

"Night at the Museum 3"

Fun for all the family. Robin Williams :bow:

"Ex Machina"

Whoa. Properly good film. Sanchez / 10

Niall_Quinn
26-08-2015, 05:51 PM
Watched the 2010 remake of Brighton Rock :o

Dark doesn't do it justice. Definitely don't watch unless you have just won the lottery.

:ilt:

Niall_Quinn
26-08-2015, 10:21 PM
San Andreas - I watched it so you don't have to.

That said, if you have just suffered major head trauma in a car crash this movie might occupy you for a couple of minutes. Or if you are American, it's fine. Good even. Has all the major ingredients you would expect in "the" earthquake movie they keep releasing every 6 months. Possibly missed a trick by not having the president personally parachute in to save the solid breasted, bouncy heroine, but had the flag at the end so who gives a fuck?

Budget was $110mill, money very well spent.

EDIT: About that flag - this is hilarious (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2126355/board/nest/244488591?p=1). The comments on "class" by NukeDude2 (complete with his atomic avatar) are particularly profound. I'm saving up to get an American, they are brilliant.

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
29-08-2015, 08:50 PM
Watched Interstellar last night

Despite it being scientific hokum and being ridiculously over sentimental at times, genuinely enjoyed the film from its stunning visuals to its ambitious scope and the sarcastic Robot.

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
29-08-2015, 08:53 PM
Watched the 2010 remake of Brighton Rock :o

Dark doesn't do it justice. Definitely don't watch unless you have just won the lottery.

:ilt:

Have read the Graham Greene novel and watched the original film with Richard Attenborough....both were pretty dark themselves

Niall_Quinn
29-08-2015, 08:57 PM
Watched Interstellar last night

Despite it being scientific hokum and being ridiculously over sentimental at times, genuinely enjoyed the film from its stunning visuals to its ambitious scope and the sarcastic Robot.

I think it's great. Superb escapism and even though it's laden down with American offal that has to exist for any film to recoup the spend, there's plenty in there for non-Americans too. Definitely thought provoking in places and some of that seemingly wishy, washy mind state/ emotional stuff they have going on is starting to be underpinned by science. Things are certainly not what they seem and this film touches on that with great effect.

Not 2001, I don't think that will ever be topped. But up there jostling for a runners-up spot.

Niall_Quinn
29-08-2015, 09:05 PM
Have read the Graham Greene novel and watched the original film with Richard Attenborough....both were pretty dark themselves

This takes things a bit far though, it portrays the characters in such a hopeless light you end up not caring about them because it won't make any difference anyway, they are doomed. Watched Rise of the Krays too, similar hopelessness to it, although one thing the film does well is to remind us that the good old days weren't so great when you strip away the intervening 50 years efforts of nostalgia.

I see there is yet another Kray movie imminent - Legends, is it called? Legends? I suppose Nasty, Vile Cunts would have caused a fuss.

Letters
30-08-2015, 07:50 AM
Not 2001, I don't think that will ever be topped. But up there jostling for a runners-up spot.
Agree. The science in Interstellar is awlsome, someone told me they had to rewrite the ray tracing software to account for the Relatavistic effects.

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
30-08-2015, 08:56 AM
Watched Chappie last night, wasn't that impressed seemed like a cross between short circuit and robocop

Syn
30-08-2015, 12:21 PM
Predestination. 7/10. #decent - recommend if you like films like Source Code.
Southpaw. 4/10, garbage. - recommend if you vote UKIP.
A Brilliant Young Mind. 7.5/10. #decent - recommend if you like playing Sudoku.

Letters
30-08-2015, 03:19 PM
"Zero Dark Thirty"

Stopped watching after an hour or so. Seemed pretty boring.

Syn
30-08-2015, 03:24 PM
You penis. That's like if you stopped watching Interstellar after the first hour. Totally different film second half, but it is a bit 'America, fuck yeah!'.

Letters
30-08-2015, 03:50 PM
Really? I think I can undelete it but we were about 70 minutes in and a few things happened but I couldn't make head nor tail of how they were connected and nothing much seemed to be going on.

Niall_Quinn
30-08-2015, 03:52 PM
Really? I think I can undelete it but we were about 70 minutes in and a few things happened but I couldn't make head nor tail of how they were connected and nothing much seemed to be going on.

It's abject shit from start to finish and almost everything depicted is a lie. If you have deleted it then it's in the best place possible.

Syn
30-08-2015, 03:53 PM
From what I remember - I was quite bored in the first half and then it picked up a lot. But probably still not memorable overall for what is supposed to be a big deal.

Niall_Quinn
30-08-2015, 04:05 PM
From what I remember - I was quite bored in the first half and then it picked up a lot. But probably still not memorable overall for what is supposed to be a big deal.

We're all struggling to remember the damn thing - I think that says it all. A film designed to desensitise. It seems to have the side effect of rendering sentient observers unconscious. I do remember laughing through a lot of it thinking, who would believe that? The real story of America's relationship with the bin Ladens and DEVGRU's ultimate involvement (and the aftermath) is quite interesting, but they'd never make a film about that.

What we really need is a viable alternative to Hollywood, and I don't mean Bollywood.

GP
30-08-2015, 04:10 PM
Yeah but they kill some towel heads so it's good for a laugh.

Niall_Quinn
30-08-2015, 04:17 PM
Yeah but they kill some towel heads so it's good for a laugh.

I wasn't referring to the American viewpoint.

GP
31-08-2015, 09:55 AM
Wes Craven has died.

Master Splinter
31-08-2015, 05:49 PM
Music Of The Heart :bow:.

Syn
01-09-2015, 11:45 AM
Trainwreck. 7/10. Pretty good, LeBron Welbeck was very funny. Just turn it off for the last half hour because it goes full stevie g mode.

Reluctant Fundamentalist. #decent. 6/10. Good idea for a film but catered too much to the Taken crowd.

Thierrymon
02-09-2015, 01:21 AM
Watching Mad Max Fury Road again :bow:

Maestro
06-09-2015, 06:55 PM
Hector & The Search For Happiness

4. Happiness could be the freedom to love more than one woman at the same time :titsup::satan::titsup:

:haha:

GP
06-09-2015, 07:55 PM
Trainwreck. 7/10. Pretty good, LeBron Welbeck was very funny. Just turn it off for the last half hour because it goes full stevie g mode.

Watching that movie made me realise one thing. I hate Amy Schumer.

Kano
19-09-2015, 09:29 PM
The Prestige holds up pretty well on a re-watch, especially when you can't remember most of what happened before. Possibly Nolan's most accomplished film, although not his best. 8/10

Saw Donne Brasco again last night, not so impressive almost twenty years later. The two leads are great but the plot and script is pretty clunky. 6/10

Kano
22-09-2015, 09:47 PM
Rush is much better than I expected. Hemsworth is just Hemsworth but Bruhl puts on a good show as Lauda. Ron Howard does a very good editing job on the race scenes. 6/10

Under The Skin premiering soon. Fantastic film.

Marc Overmars
22-09-2015, 10:34 PM
Gone Girl. :wacko:
A bit weird but worth a watch if you have time to kill.

Interstellar. :bow:
Really enjoyed that, the science in it was great. An odd ending but it makes you think like most Nolan films.

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
22-09-2015, 10:49 PM
Went to see Legend this evening

Thoroughly entertaining and watchable but as a biopic it's about as substantial as a slice of wafer thin ham

Tom Hardy is excellent playing two completely different characters to the extent that you forget at times it's the same guy playing them.

Very much done for an American audience, and it I suppose deserves the title of Legend because it presents them on their reputation as celebrity gangsters and larger than life characters immortalised into folk lore rather than what they were a pair of unpleasant individuals rather undeserving of their status whose "Legend" outweighed their actual dubious achievements

Kano
22-09-2015, 10:58 PM
Gone Girl. :wacko:
A bit weird but worth a watch if you have time to kill.

Interstellar. :bow:
Really enjoyed that, the science in it was great. An odd ending but it makes you think like most Nolan films.

Gone Girl I enjoyed quite a bit although I think a re-watch would help.

Interstellar, meh. Lost me quite early on to be honest and Hans Zimmer soundtrack was fucking deafening. I think I zoned out through the constant exposition too.

Syn
23-09-2015, 08:51 AM
Under The Skin premiering soon. Fantastic film.

Looking forward to that.

Think gone girl won't be good on a rewatch, interstellar will but after a few years.

Fincher: Girl with the dragon Tattoo > zodiac >seven > social network > gone girl. Sure there's a few I'm missing.

Kano
23-09-2015, 09:40 AM
Looking forward to that.

Think gone girl won't be good on a rewatch, interstellar will but after a few years.

Fincher: Girl with the dragon Tattoo > zodiac >seven > social network > gone girl. Sure there's a few I'm missing.
I'm a bit hit and miss with Fincher. You can add The Game and Fight Club into your list too. I think I tend to enjoy the performances in his films like Douglas, Pitt or Eisenberg more than the films themselves usually.

Under The Skin is something you'll love or hate. All atmosphere. Scarlett manages to be deadly cold and sexy at the same time. If you haven't seen Birth, that might be worth a watch too. Same director. And Sexy Beast of course.

Syn
23-09-2015, 03:18 PM
I'm a bit hit and miss with Fincher. You can add The Game and Fight Club into your list too. I think I tend to enjoy the performances in his films like Douglas, Pitt or Eisenberg more than the films themselves usually.

Under The Skin is something you'll love or hate. All atmosphere. Scarlett manages to be deadly cold and sexy at the same time. If you haven't seen Birth, that might be worth a watch too. Same director. And Sexy Beast of course.

Game is entertaining but ridiculous - probably alongside Fight club. Fincher is very good as long as he doesn't have to think of his own ideas.

Haven't seen either of those films, was just going on reviews of Under the skin. Will check them out, cheers.

Letters
23-09-2015, 03:38 PM
Films I watched on the plane from/to Beijing:

"A Royal Night Out"

Ok. Nothing special. Killed a couple of hours.

"Inside Out"

Very good :d. Fun for all the family.

"Man Up"

Pegg's best film for a while IMO. Fairly predictable nonsense but entertaining enough.

"Danny Collins"

Properly good film. Pachino :bow:

Xhaka Can’t
23-09-2015, 04:13 PM
Inside Out was nowhere near as good as the hype around it suggests.

My son enjoyed it and it was a gabillion times better than Minions.

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk

GP
23-09-2015, 04:18 PM
Minions are the fucking worst.

Kano
23-09-2015, 05:06 PM
That shit was never funny. Not in Despicable or this money-led spin-off bullshit.

Xhaka Can’t
23-09-2015, 06:03 PM
I liked the Despicable Me movies, but I knew Minions was going to be total garbage. My son wanted to go, so what are you gonna do?

On the plus side, he didn't care for it either, so there'll be no more of that next time they try to cash in.

Kano
23-09-2015, 06:24 PM
Yeah it's unavoidable when you've got little 'uns. Shove enough bright shiny marketing in their faces and they drive you mental wanting to see it. Keeps them happy. Smart little blighter you have there though. Takes after his mother of course.

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
23-09-2015, 06:35 PM
That shit was never funny. Not in Despicable or this money-led spin-off bullshit.

Not really designed for your age group ?

Kano
23-09-2015, 06:42 PM
I'll take that as a compliment.

Xhaka Can’t
23-09-2015, 07:48 PM
It's better than what I got.

GP
26-09-2015, 10:10 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vdy0HeZtlqw

Letters
26-09-2015, 10:48 AM
"fruity-toot-tooting" :haha:

Kano
26-09-2015, 12:02 PM
Dirty Pretty Things, pretty damn good. The sort of film that gives Farage and co nightmares. 8/10

Niall_Quinn
26-09-2015, 01:44 PM
Everest (the 2015 release)

Nothing here. Not even decent cinematography in one of the most spectacular regions of the planet. No connection with the individuals, you don't care if or when they die. Based on the real events of 1996 but somehow they've made it seem fake. Predictable from first to last even when you're not familiar with the story.

LDG
26-09-2015, 04:46 PM
Why did you watch it, you retard.

You knew it before.

Niall_Quinn
26-09-2015, 04:48 PM
Why did you watch it, you retard.

You knew it before.

Because I like films with snow in.

LDG
26-09-2015, 04:54 PM

Alive
Avalanche
Christmas Movies
Die Hard

Shit!!!! You're right!!

Fair play son.

Master Splinter
26-09-2015, 06:15 PM
Fargo :bow:.

Home Alone :bow:.

The Thing :bow:.

LDG
26-09-2015, 08:19 PM
A Simple Plan :bow:

Snow Day :bow:

Empire Strikes Back :bow:

LDG
26-09-2015, 08:20 PM
I must however +++ MS

Fargo

Totes Amaze

Letters
26-09-2015, 09:29 PM

Frozen :lol:
Awlful film.

GP
26-09-2015, 09:52 PM
Awlful film.

Okay bye...

Niall_Quinn
26-09-2015, 09:58 PM
Awlful film.

That was ice. Hate films with ice.

Kano
02-10-2015, 04:05 PM
Macbeth 8/10

A faithful adaptation with two brilliant performances from Fassbender (as always) and Cotillard. A dense atmosphere and great score that brings to life the deceit and blood underpinning the play. Highly recommended.

Kano
03-10-2015, 03:26 PM
Gangs of New York 5/10

Daniel Day Lewis is really the only good about this. It's just patronising and completely shallow, quite an effort in a two and half hour film. Accents are all over the place and the story is mostly tripe. Now I remember why I avoided seeing it for so long.

Letters
03-10-2015, 06:16 PM
The Martian

Pretty good but not as good as I thought it would be. Bit too long.

Kano
06-10-2015, 09:23 PM
Black Mass 7/10

In shocking turn of events, Johnny Depp has remembered that there is a point to him and returns to being a proper actor. Although he is returning to Jack fucking Sparrow soon. Very good in this, you can see he enjoys the darker side of the character. Not a bad 'true story' Mafia flick, doesn't set the world on fire but pretty solid.

Master Splinter
06-10-2015, 11:00 PM
More Donnie Brasco or Public Enemies?

I felt Public Enemies was all style and lacked the depth and menace of Mann's best work. Actually, he's been on a severe downward spiral from Ali onward. Although Collateral was pretty good.

And yeah, it is a shame Depp has been making disappointing choices since Pirates made him a megastar. His performances are still generally exemplary, but the projects he's chosen have been largely off the mark or downright shit. The Tourist is probably the worst thing ever filmed. Sweeney Todd is the only memorable thing he's done in that period. Pre-Pirates, even the dodgy films had a charming, offbeat quality and he rarely repeated himself.

Kano
06-10-2015, 11:42 PM
Brasco I'd say, although I haven't seen PE. That's the type of film I'll only ever see if I bump into it late night on Film4 or something. Mann is finished I think. Blackhat was awful, with Hemsworth in full on muscle-dummy mode. He's a million miles away from Thief and The Insider now.

It is good to see Depp return to form. He's been on autopilot for the past ten years, coasting along with Burton - who is doing similar - and as you say, milking the money in that shocking franchise. You can tell he had a lot of fun playing this 'Whitey' Bulger guy, great to see he still has it in him.

Power n Glory
09-10-2015, 09:41 AM
More Donnie Brasco or Public Enemies?

I felt Public Enemies was all style and lacked the depth and menace of Mann's best work. Actually, he's been on a severe downward spiral from Ali onward. Although Collateral was pretty good.

And yeah, it is a shame Depp has been making disappointing choices since Pirates made him a megastar. His performances are still generally exemplary, but the projects he's chosen have been largely off the mark or downright shit. The Tourist is probably the worst thing ever filmed. Sweeney Todd is the only memorable thing he's done in that period. Pre-Pirates, even the dodgy films had a charming, offbeat quality and he rarely repeated himself.

Public Enemies felt like such a waste of talent. I forgot it was a Michael Mann movie. Collateral was really good.

Kano
11-10-2015, 02:37 PM
Sicario 6/10

Pretty standard thriller about the drug 'war' in South America. Far from Villeneuve's best film and because it avoids making any sort of social or political statement on the situation, it is solid but mostly forgettable.

Letters
15-10-2015, 08:07 AM
"The Interview"

Yeah. Quite funny and silly as you'd expect. Not brilliant but did what it said on the tin I guess.

GP
17-10-2015, 07:46 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p2F0Cl3fMds

GP
18-10-2015, 06:43 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CRnIPhQUYAAoupy.jpg

Letters
18-10-2015, 08:02 PM
Sounds like a Star Wars DVD day* to me followed by a trip to the cinema.

* - original films only, obviously.

GP
18-10-2015, 08:29 PM
Who's missing from the poster?

Heisenberg
18-10-2015, 08:48 PM
Unless that's him in the pilot gear, I don't see Luke

GP
18-10-2015, 08:56 PM
Never mind Luke...

Where's Jar-Jar?

Marc Overmars
18-10-2015, 10:45 PM
Went to see the Martian tonight. It was quite long but I suppose it had to be really to give some sort of scale of how long he was stranded there for.

Would have liked to have seen him in more peril as well, every problem he faced he seemed to find a solution to pretty quickly. Was a bit boring in some parts but still generally enjoyed it as I'm a sucker for anything space related.

Kano
19-10-2015, 10:19 AM
Mr Holmes isn't bad, mostly thanks to McKellan as a fading Sherlock looking back on his life. The actual story let it down though.

The Experimenter, a biog about Stanley Milgram's life, but mostly about his obedience tests on the 60's. Not bad, Peter Sarsgaard keeps it interesting.

Both films 3/5.

Marc Overmars
20-10-2015, 09:39 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGbxmsDFVnE

:popcorn:

LDG
20-10-2015, 10:34 AM
:dance:

Marc Overmars
20-10-2015, 10:55 AM
Tomorrow is the day Marty McFly arrived in the future. :lol:

LDG
20-10-2015, 11:03 AM

He's gonna be disappointed.

Letters
20-10-2015, 12:29 PM

Aye. I cannot tell you how old that makes it feel - I remember going to see them at the cinema at the time and of course then 2015 seemed like FOREVER away, and now...here we are.

No flying cars :(

Niall_Quinn
20-10-2015, 12:52 PM
Aye. I cannot tell you how old that makes it feel - I remember going to see them at the cinema at the time and of course then 2015 seemed like FOREVER away, and now...here we are.

No flying cars :(

Apart from you when you drive off bridges.

Letters
20-10-2015, 01:02 PM
Apart from you when you drive off bridges.

I'm a new driver <_< I'm doing my best. :sulk:

GP
21-10-2015, 10:12 PM
TRY GETTING A RESERVATION AT DORSIA NOW YOU FUCKING STUPID BASTARD!!

Marc Overmars
26-10-2015, 03:15 PM
The Theory of Everything. A little boring but a great performance from that bloke who played Hawking.

Letters
26-10-2015, 03:26 PM
The Holiday.

Pretty rubbish, predictably.

Marc Overmars
27-10-2015, 03:11 PM
Big Hero 6. :bow:

One of the best animated movies I've seen in recent memory.

Niall_Quinn
27-10-2015, 03:13 PM
Started watching Youth.

Quickly gave up.

GP
01-11-2015, 01:47 AM
Spectre

Pretty standard Bond fare. Waltz is excellent as always.

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
01-11-2015, 12:39 PM
Rugby World cup final reminded me i'd never got round to watching Invictus, which is odd because i'm quite a big fan of Clint Eastwood directed films

Thought Matt Damon was quite stilted and wooden as Francois Pienaar but Morgan Freeman really grew into the role of Mandela.
i go a bit against the grain in that i'm not a huge fan of his, whilst i think the apartheid government was revolting....the ANC was a terrorist organisation and were responsible for people's deaths....so unlike Mahatma Ghandi and Martin Luther King was not exactly a peaceful civil rights demonstrator (that plus i am generally against putting people on pedestals).
He was also a pretty rubbish South African president, with the unity coming from the rugby world cup being his sole achievement in office.

Letters
01-11-2015, 09:12 PM
Amelie

Pretty good.
Darcy Bussell can do one. Audrey Tautou :loveblush:

Marc Overmars
04-11-2015, 03:11 PM
Inside Out.

Not one of Pixar's best IMO but that's only because the standards are so high. It was still good and quite creative though.

GP
05-11-2015, 10:18 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_UI1GzaWv0

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
05-11-2015, 10:59 PM
Went to see Spectre this evening wasn't spectacularly impressed, seemed to be a composite of Bond films of the past rather than something that stood up in its own right.
Entertaining enough but lacking in substance

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
05-11-2015, 11:01 PM
TRY GETTING A RESERVATION AT DORSIA NOW YOU FUCKING STUPID BASTARD!!

Come on.....you're prettier than that

Letters
06-11-2015, 09:51 AM
Went to see Spectre this evening wasn't spectacularly impressed, seemed to be a composite of Bond films of the past rather than something that stood up in its own right.
Entertaining enough but lacking in substance

Hmm. I've heard mixed things. Seeing it tomorrow. As you say I'm sure it'll be entertaining enough.

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
06-11-2015, 10:49 AM
Hmm. I've heard mixed things. Seeing it tomorrow. As you say I'm sure it'll be entertaining enough.

It's probably one of the longest Bond films there is at almost two and a half hours (I think only the underrated On her Majesty's Secret Service gets anywhere near that length) but it's not a film you're clock watching to because it's very captivating and also beautifully filmed.....it just seems quite shallow to me compared to the rather more cerebral Casino Royale and Skyfall.
If you consider yourself a Bond fan (which I suppose I do having seen all the films several times) it is at least a very warm tribute to what has gone before.

Letters
08-11-2015, 08:57 PM
It's probably one of the longest Bond films there is at almost two and a half hours (I think only the underrated On her Majesty's Secret Service gets anywhere near that length) but it's not a film you're clock watching to because it's very captivating and also beautifully filmed.....it just seems quite shallow to me compared to the rather more cerebral Casino Royale and Skyfall.
If you consider yourself a Bond fan (which I suppose I do having seen all the films several times) it is at least a very warm tribute to what has gone before.

Pretty much agree with all that now I've seen it. It's not as good a film as the previous 2 but it's still very enjoyable and if you like Bond films you'll probably enjoy it, which I do, so I did.

GP
08-11-2015, 09:49 PM
Whiplash

That was pretty cool!

Niall_Quinn
08-11-2015, 10:20 PM
Whiplash

That was pretty cool!

Yup. Wish I could watch that one again for the the first time.

Niall_Quinn
08-11-2015, 10:22 PM
Pretty much agree with all that now I've seen it. It's not as good a film as the previous 2 but it's still very enjoyable and if you like Bond films you'll probably enjoy it, which I do, so I did.

Might be the last Bond movie ever, if faggot or dyke Bond becomes a reality.

Kano
14-11-2015, 10:46 PM
Spectre 6/10

Mendes forgot everything that made Skyfall so good, in that all that character development, something that has taken decades to finally evolve, is forgotten this time. There is an attempt to cram it into the final act here when it should've been there from the start. Just a series of action scenes with stuff linking them together.

Niall_Quinn
14-11-2015, 11:38 PM
Spectre 6/10

Mendes forgot everything that made Skyfall so good, in that all that character development, something that has taken decades to finally evolve, is forgotten this time. There is an attempt to cram it into the final act here when it should've been there from the start. Just a series of action scenes with stuff linking them together.

Isn't that what Bond is supposed to be and has always been?

Kano
14-11-2015, 11:55 PM
And that made him interesting for a while. Kinda got tired about thirty years ago though. After doing the same shit for God knows how many years you need a rethink to keep it fresh after a while. Look at Wenger. It is possible to be an action hero and be three dimensional. Skyfall achieved that. Although it is rare for these sort of films whose first priority is to make back its money and then some.

Power n Glory
17-11-2015, 09:40 AM
Spectre was a step backwards. If they wanted to pay homage to the Roger Moore era Bond movies they should have done so with a new Bond, not the Craig era and not tack it on to the storyline of the previous three films. Imagine Nolan and Bale teaming up for another Batman and saying they want to pay homage to the Adam West Batman era and camp it up. :lol: Not an awful film. Probably better than Quantum of Bollocks but on second viewing I might change my mind.

Kano
12-12-2015, 10:37 PM
I Believe In Miracles, 8/10

Documentary every football fan should see. Told in a very straight forward style but it brings out the story well. Takes us back to Clough and Nottm Forest in the late 70's, from promotion, straight onto league champs and winning the European Cup twice in a row. Oh and a couple of League Cups, back when it actually mattered. Three years of madness. A completely different world from this modern bullshit. Feels apt to watch this with Leicester sitting on top of the league right now. And they weren't just overcoming a shit Utd, Arsenal or Chelsea but the mighty Liverpool of the time. Some great Northern Soul tunes in there too.

Niall_Quinn
13-12-2015, 01:31 PM
I Believe In Miracles, 8/10

Documentary every football fan should see. Told in a very straight forward style but it brings out the story well. Takes us back to Clough and Nottm Forest in the late 70's, from promotion, straight onto league champs and winning the European Cup twice in a row. Oh and a couple of League Cups, back when it actually mattered. Three years of madness. A completely different world from this modern bullshit. Feels apt to watch this with Leicester sitting on top of the league right now. And they weren't just overcoming a shit Utd, Arsenal or Chelsea but the mighty Liverpool of the time. Some great Northern Soul tunes in there too.

One of the best footie docs out there - must watch. Ended too early for me, they could have done another hour.

Cloughie - 15 players in the squad - Champions and Euro Cup winners - at a time when kicking players up in the air was legit. :bow:

GP
13-12-2015, 10:03 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LbduDRH2m2M

Letters
14-12-2015, 08:49 AM
Ooh! :popcorn:

Looks good.

Marc Overmars
14-12-2015, 04:16 PM
Shame they couldn't get Will Smith for it.

Booked Star Wars tickets. :popcorn:

LDG
14-12-2015, 05:05 PM
Booked Star Wars tickets. :popcorn:

I'm booked in for Thursday :dance:

Letters
14-12-2015, 05:15 PM
I need to educate MrsL on the originals (I know...) before we go see the new one.
I'm just pretending the "prequels" never happened.

Shaqiri Is Boss
14-12-2015, 06:23 PM
Been watching a few films after impulse buying Now TV. Tried to get my money's worth from the free trial, then forgot to stop it anyway.

Watched Whiplash last night. Very good. Surprisingly little actual music though, which I found a bit odd.

I'm still undecided whether to go and see Star Wars. Part of me wants to wait and see if it'll be a massive let down like the ones ones were. But then given the hype, that is fairly likely.

The new Independence Day looks quite good as well. Shame there's no Will Smith, but at least it means no Jaden Smith.

There's a new Star Trek trailer as well. With a dirt bike stunt. :wacko:

Master Splinter
14-12-2015, 07:50 PM
Given Will Smith's form of the errrrr......the last decade and a half, surely him not being part of it is a good thing? Unless you want it to be Identikit Will Smith Blockbuster #73, featuring Will Smith being Will Smith, with every plot point, line of dialogue and product placement item being tailored to Will Smith the movie star brand and former rapper.

I found the original Independence Day incredibly boring, much like nearly all those generic disaster movies that became a regular thing in the late 90s.

Goldblum is the only redeeming feature. Goldblum :bow:.

LDG
14-12-2015, 07:59 PM
Quite liked Seven Pounds for some reason.

Never really minded enemy of the state, or that zombie one.

After Earth was possibly the worst film I've ever seen.

Power n Glory
14-12-2015, 09:02 PM
Star Wars booked for Friday. Will try to squeeze in the originals before then.

Kano
14-12-2015, 10:10 PM
Given Will Smith's form of the errrrr......the last decade and a half, surely him not being part of it is a good thing? Unless you want it to be Identikit Will Smith Blockbuster #73, featuring Will Smith being Will Smith, with every plot point, line of dialogue and product placement item being tailored to Will Smith the movie star brand and former rapper.

I found the original Independence Day incredibly boring, much like nearly all those generic disaster movies that became a regular thing in the late 90s.

Goldblum is the only redeeming feature. Goldblum :bow:.

The original is a needlessly long film that easily overstays its welcome. Doesn't stand up well on re-watches either.

That trailer just looks like a million others, overlooked with CGI disaster money shots and shit attempts at tension. The original at least 'felt' like an original idea. But yes, Goldblum :bow: always.

Shame he can't save the forthcoming Turkey of a Star Wars movie too.

Niall_Quinn
15-12-2015, 01:14 AM
Watched the Martian. I'm pretty sure it's a shit film but for some reason I enjoyed it. I hope I'm not turning into a homo who fancies Matt Damon. Again.

The Walk, the story of Phillipe Petit's wire walk between the WTC towers in 1974. Sort of good. Quirky. Seems to have a lot of French in it but it made up for this in other areas, especially the walk itself which was actually quite scary to watch. What a fucking loon. apparently you can see it all in 3D at the flicks, must be a lot of shit stained seats. Worth watching. Would have been better if Matt Damon was in it.

Kano
15-12-2015, 07:59 AM
Haven't seen The Walk - although I've heard it's not too bad - but check out Man On Wire, the doc about Petit from 2008, which is very good.

I don't mind Damon, he's pretty consistent in a James Milner sort of way but Ridley Scott should just give it up now.

IBK
15-12-2015, 07:42 PM
Thought 'The Martian' was quite good - faithful to the book.

Marc Overmars
15-12-2015, 11:27 PM
Some very positive reviews coming out of the Star Wars premiere.

Power n Glory
16-12-2015, 12:27 AM
Some very positive reviews coming out of the Star Wars premiere.

Trying to avoid spoilers, reviews and all talk on the movie.

Marc Overmars
16-12-2015, 09:06 AM
Yeah I didn't read anything about the plot but the initial general reactions have been good.

Master Splinter
16-12-2015, 07:29 PM
The Martian:

Essentially a modern fairy tale in space. Has the feel of feel-good Spielberg at his best or even a Frank Capra film at times. Just enjoyable, likeable and charming without veering into slush. Damon is as good as always. The supporting cast is seriously impressive too. Even the the janitors are played by that guy you saw in a recent big TV show or Sean Bean. Ridley Scott's best film since Matchstick Men. Although as with that, it's probably more to do with the script and the leading players than his direction.

Spectre:
On a basic action/fun level, it's probably the best of the last four. The set-pieces are really well done. But the Craig Bonds have been pretty poor all-round. The edginess they were apparently going for in Casino Royale has been completely eroded and we're essentially back at Die Another Day, which was roundly mocked. The attempts to ride on the coattails of superior films like Bourne and The Dark Knight trilogy was blatant and it's now just a mish-mash of Bond cliches again. The funniest thing was that the world has been subjected to such villainy because a grown man was jealous of his father teaching a teenage Bond how to mountaineer. Brilliant. I'm sure someone was taking the piss. :haha:

Black Mass:
It's basically Johnny Depp being a vicious, evil cunt with piercing blue contacts in a film which feels more like a documentary recounting events than a thrilling drama. I'm not sure how much more you can do with such well-known and recent historical events, but as a film it never takes off. Good performances, but disappointing overall.

Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 2:
A pretty satisfying end to a surprisingly subtle, sombre and effective series. The sewer scene with the gun fight is top, top quality. Some stuff seems glossed over and not fully explored, but then I suppose they'd have to extend the films by two hours each. But a good tri/quadrilogy that has been made with much more care and attention than you'd expect.

Thierrymon
16-12-2015, 10:25 PM
Star Wars. Not bad.

Marc Overmars
17-12-2015, 01:48 PM
Some fuck bucket at work has revealed a pretty key spoiler from Star Wars. Something I had kinda suspected but still... Cunt!

GP
17-12-2015, 02:46 PM
Come on man, it was pretty obvious Jar Jar was a sith lord.

The Wengerbabies
17-12-2015, 05:54 PM
Star Wars. Not bad.
Not great either.

Better than the originals, but I still preferred the prequels.

I'm glad I saw it though because of the spoiler I suspect MO is talking about, I didn't expect it, I saw it coming in the moments leading up to it but prior to the film I had no clue.

GP
17-12-2015, 06:08 PM
I had no clue.

True dat

LDG
17-12-2015, 10:38 PM
Just finished watching it.

OMG!

Fuckin amazing!

Xhaka Can’t
17-12-2015, 11:15 PM
My wife booked us tickets to watch it next Wednesday at the Science Museum IMAX.

Can't wait.

LDG
18-12-2015, 09:00 PM
Still :o

Fuck all the haters and critics.

Just brilliant. Like a kid again watching Star Wars last night :d

Niall_Quinn
18-12-2015, 10:48 PM
Might actually go and see this one in the cinema.

Somebody had to record the fucker so it can go up on Flixanity.

Letters
19-12-2015, 09:29 AM
http://thegoodlordabove.com/articles/details/161

:lol:

Marc Overmars
19-12-2015, 04:24 PM
Star Wars. :bow:

Very good. All set up nicely for the new trilogy.

Han. :upset:

LDG
19-12-2015, 09:09 PM
"I'm not gay!"

"Are you off your fuckin' meds!"

Power n Glory
19-12-2015, 10:38 PM
Some fuck bucket at work has revealed a pretty key spoiler from Star Wars. Something I had kinda suspected but still... Cunt!

I hope you punched him in face. :lol:

Partly why I wanted to see it asap. Even wanted to avoid general feedback and reviews.

Kano
19-12-2015, 11:24 PM
Star Wars 7/10

Like the Bond films were ruined for me as kid seeing them constantly shown on TV every other month, the early Star Wars trilogy lost its sparkle the more I left my childhood behind, the never ending repeats dulling its magic.

I sat and watched the first one again for the first time as an adult tonight and mostly enjoyed it. Quite a lot hasn't dated very well at all, especially Hamill who is an horrific actor, the plot is pretty rushed but the sets, story and iconic moments make up for it. Think I might go through the next couple at least over Christmas.

Kano
20-12-2015, 01:10 AM
The Lobster 8/10

Lanthimos' The Lobster is cold, dry, dark and very bloody funny. His first English language film is slightly more absurd than his last film but not as obscure as Dogtooth, it has a solid British cast full of recognisable faces and acts a metaphor of the difference between being single or in a relationship. If your marriage breaks up, you are sent to a remote location and given 45 days (every day probably representing a year) to find a new partner where you can return to society, or be turned into the animal of your choice and turned loose into the wild.

GP
20-12-2015, 01:34 AM
Paul Blart: Mall Cop 2

9.5/10

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
22-12-2015, 08:04 AM
Went to see Star Wars yesterday, it lacks for originality in plot but is genuinely good
Nostalgic fun which reminds of the originals without being overly self referential.

Saw it Imax 3D so got the works from it

Letters
22-12-2015, 10:36 AM
Star Wars - Episode IV (sic)

Very good. Starts a bit slowly but once it gets going it's excellent.
(I showed MrsL last night, part 1 of her Star Wars education before we see Episode VII)

GP
22-12-2015, 10:56 AM
http://1.media.dorkly.cvcdn.com/13/85/5aaf2f61e49c9c3c844d2998a03d3b40-star-wars-uncle-owen-and-aunt-beru-action-figures.jpg

IBK
22-12-2015, 01:36 PM
Its old, but I saw 'Searching for Sugarman' yesterday. Loved it.

Letters
22-12-2015, 01:41 PM
Yep, very good film. Hmm. Should have put that on my Christmas list, I always struggle for ideas.

LDG
22-12-2015, 01:41 PM
http://1.media.dorkly.cvcdn.com/13/85/5aaf2f61e49c9c3c844d2998a03d3b40-star-wars-uncle-owen-and-aunt-beru-action-figures.jpg

:haha:

Thierrymon
22-12-2015, 08:06 PM
The Kingsman was really good. Not what I was expecting at all.

Niall_Quinn
22-12-2015, 08:12 PM
Star Wars. Ho hum. Kids enjoyed it apart from when they had to wake me up because I was snoring.

Kano
23-12-2015, 01:49 PM
http://i1.mirror.co.uk/incoming/article7034704.ece/ALTERNATES/s1200/George-Osborne-star-wars-main.jpg

Letters
23-12-2015, 02:14 PM
YES! In your face, LDG :p

http://www.perthnow.com.au/entertainment/is-die-hard-a-christmas-movie/news-story/b4a213a88c57ecec7792703ccd23fab4

Kano
23-12-2015, 02:21 PM
Americans :lol:

Kano
24-12-2015, 03:42 PM
The Empre Strikes Back 6/10

Rating may even be a bit lower. These rewatches aren't really panning out as expected, this was even more laughable than the first one in places. If you put on your 'ten and under' head then it's a fun, harmless film to watch but beyond that there is so much of it that hasn't fared well. This sequel has not plot at all, just everyone on the run from Vadar and I can't help but laugh out loud almost every time James Earl Jones over-performs his dialogue. And that outfit looks pretty daft now too, particularly the helmet. Empire is just mostly a series of set-ups to show off the budget, be it the sets or special effects and the whole thing borders on being pretty kitsch a lot of the time.

GP
24-12-2015, 03:45 PM
"Empire" had the better ending. I mean, Luke gets his hand cut off, finds out Vader's his father, Han gets frozen and taken away by Boba Fett. It ends on such a down note. I mean, that's what life is, a series of down endings. All "Jedi" had was a bunch of Muppets.

Kano
24-12-2015, 03:58 PM
The ending kind of peters out, that's what surprised me. It's a darker film, no doubt, but the pacing seems all wrong. It keeps throwing peril after peril almost non-stop up at the characters until the Solo freeze but that doesn't seem climatic enough in the scheme of where the story is at that moment. It just feels like another bump in the road they have to overcome. The almost non-stop drama is tiring by the time you get to the end and it just feels like it has run out of steam. I know what you mean with the reference to life's disappointments but I'm not sure any of these characters are complex enough to represent that. And as a comic-book style film they don't have to be either, I don't expect that at all, but 20 years viewing gap has changed my perception altogether. I don't think years of subsequent blockbusters and fantasy films ripping off its formula has helped me either.

Letters
24-12-2015, 04:40 PM
"Empire" had the better ending. I mean, Luke gets his hand cut off, finds out Vader's his father, Han gets frozen and taken away by Boba Fett. It ends on such a down note. I mean, that's what life is, a series of down endings. All "Jedi" had was a bunch of Muppets.

No spoilers! :sulk: