View Full Version : The Film Thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 [18]

GP
24-12-2021, 02:56 PM
Star Wars Episode VIII: The Last Jedi

Still great. The best one, IMO.

Letters
24-12-2021, 05:31 PM
Everyone is banging on about the new Spider-Man.

Letters
24-12-2021, 05:44 PM
“Jack Frost”

The boy is watching it. I wandered in with 30 minutes left and am only half watching but it looks bloody awful.

GP
28-12-2021, 01:07 PM
Don't Look Up.

Brilliant.

Letters
10-01-2022, 01:52 PM
Don't Look Up.

Brilliant.

Agreed. Very good and a bit depressing.
The reaction to the news is supposed to be an allegory for Climate Change, but it works equally well for Covid or any other global event.

dazthegooner
10-01-2022, 02:40 PM
Watched Ghostbusters Afterlife. Not bad a few references to the original with a nice twist.

Letters
10-01-2022, 02:53 PM
I want to see that.
Was planning to over Christmas but then Covid intervened <_<

Letters
18-02-2022, 08:18 PM
Arsene Wenger - Invincible

Santa got me the DVD, finally watched it last night.
I thought it was bloody brilliant. It was great to relive the glory years and it didn’t gloss over the more difficult ones that followed.

Holy shit that was a good team. That team from 2002-2004 was one of the best club sides I’ve ever seen. And that rivalry with Man Utd. The intensity! Those were the days. That was the fixture I always looked out for first. Sod Spurs, that was a distraction. Utd was where it was at. It was nice to see Fergie in the documentary.

Obviously we all remember the Bergkamp penalty miss in ‘99. Must admit I’d forgotten that the Van Nistelroy penalty miss was in the Invincibles season. Such fine lines in football. Bergkamp scores and we’d probably have done the Double and Utd might not have won anything. Van Nistleroy scores and…well, we might have still won the title but the record would never have happened.

Definitely worth a watch.

Mac76
19-02-2022, 12:45 PM
Yeah it's on my list, will def. get it

GP
23-04-2022, 08:39 PM
The Batman.

DC have taken a wrong turn and need to really have a think about where they go next. Just another in a long line of, frankly, boring films.

Boring, rehashed stories, bad casting. Another stinker.

Niall_Quinn
23-04-2022, 11:33 PM
They need to go bankrupt, like most of the other woke wankers forcing lazy lunacy down the throats of those who still think Hollywood has something to say.

dazthegooner
24-04-2022, 08:24 AM
The Batman.

DC have taken a wrong turn and need to really have a think about where they go next. Just another in a long line of, frankly, boring films.

Boring, rehashed stories, bad casting. Another stinker.

Agreed after Nolan's trilogy this was a major disappointment.

Shaqiri Is Boss
25-04-2022, 07:39 AM
https://youtu.be/6B90ic2iKDo

GP
26-05-2022, 04:38 PM
Ray Liotta has died.

Niall_Quinn
27-05-2022, 12:31 AM
Ray Liotta has died.

Happens when you get old. Enjoyed watching at least one of his movies.

Globalgunner
27-05-2022, 06:12 PM
Ray Liotta has died.

The man had an unforgettable face.....Those eyes seem to be made of pure glass. He made his mark. God speed.

Mac76
27-05-2022, 07:46 PM
Never heard of 'im, still RIP

GP
27-05-2022, 10:20 PM
You've never heard of the star of Operation Dumbo Drop??

LDG
28-05-2022, 05:27 AM
You've never heard of the star of Operation Dumbo Drop??

For me, Carl Weathers took the limelight, but I agree Liotta was very good

Globalgunner
28-05-2022, 04:42 PM
Its him I always think about when I remember "Goodfellas". Not Deniro or Joe Pesci

GP
19-06-2022, 10:16 AM
The Matrix Resurrections

What a pile of shit.

Letters
19-06-2022, 11:46 AM
:lol: I wanted to see it at the time then the moment went.
Not surprised to hear it’s not much good.
The first one was brilliant, the second confusing but good and I figured the third would deconfuzle things. But then the third smelled the place up so bad it pretty much spoiled the first two for me.

mandela8
19-06-2022, 01:38 PM
Watched Hustle. The latest Adam Sandler Netflix film.

Was good, man. Pretty formulaic coming of age sports drama but I like shit like that.

IBK
22-06-2022, 10:11 AM
Yes - pleasantly surprised by this. Along with Uncut Gems is Sandler a better actor than he seemed??

GP
02-07-2022, 08:23 PM
I have brought peace, freedom, justice, and security to my new empire

The Wengerbabies
03-08-2022, 11:01 PM
https://deadline.com/2022/08/warner-bros-batgirl-1235083809/

When you go too woke. I wonder how bad this must have been?

The Wengerbabies
19-08-2022, 01:36 AM
Top Gun: Maverick

9/10

Amazing. Best new movie I've seen in a very long time.

Xhaka Can’t
19-08-2022, 05:49 AM
I had no intention of seeing TGM, but was outvoted.

I’ve seen it twice now - excellent movie

Letters
19-08-2022, 07:52 AM
I kinda wanted to see it - not a massive fan of the original although I quite like it.
But couldn't find anyone to go with and then the moment went.

Xhaka Can’t
19-08-2022, 09:26 AM
I kinda wanted to see it - not a massive fan of the original although I quite like it.
But couldn't find anyone to go with and then the moment went.

I was adamant that I wasn’t going to see it, but it turned out to be excellent. There were great action scenes, but for me, the scenes with Val Kilmer, although brief, were powerful.

An excellent movie.

GP
08-10-2022, 08:03 PM
Top Gun Maverick

That was way, way better than I was expecting.

Letters
08-10-2022, 09:45 PM
About Time

Not that good.

GP
08-10-2022, 11:46 PM
Star Wars Episode VIII: The Last Jedi

It's still great. The best one since Empire.

HCZ_Reborn
09-10-2022, 02:13 PM
Moonrise Kingdom

I generally like Wes Anderson films, and although this isn’t a bad film in anyway I didn’t think it was that great either.

Letters
22-10-2022, 07:22 PM
Bambi

The boy was watching it so decided to join in. Not actually sure I’d seen it before. Maybe as a kid but I don’t remember it. Anyway, didn’t think it was that great.

Xhaka Can’t
22-10-2022, 10:21 PM
If Bambi isn’t your thing, check out Wanda Whips Wall Street.

The Wengerbabies
07-11-2022, 05:00 PM
Weird: The Al Yankovic Story 7/10

Entertaining enough. Wouldn't watch again.

Letters
07-11-2022, 05:11 PM
How did you watch it? It's on Roku or something, I'm not sure how to actually get that.

The Wengerbabies
07-11-2022, 05:27 PM
Via "alternate means"

But yeah I don't think Roku is available outside the US.

https://i.ibb.co/5BGbfHB/weirdaltweet.png

Letters
07-11-2022, 06:03 PM
:lol: Ta.

Weird Al :bow:

Saw him in concert once. That was a lot of fun :d

The Wengerbabies
08-11-2022, 08:07 PM
The Greatest Beer Run Ever - 8/10

GP
30-11-2022, 10:18 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DuWEEKeJLMI

The Wengerbabies
01-12-2022, 09:57 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZfVYgWYaHmE

McNamara That Ghost...
23-12-2022, 11:35 PM
Glass Onion, just a bit shit really.

Letters
24-12-2022, 09:51 PM
The Holiday

Holy shit this is a poor film.

Niall_Quinn
26-12-2022, 08:20 PM
The Holiday

Holy shit this is a poor film.

Says the moron who believes in the political system, the vote and the media?

Fuck me, what's so terrible about a holiday, by comparison?

Letters
31-12-2022, 10:48 PM
Last Night in Soho

Wasn’t what I was expecting although tbh I didn’t know that much about it.
Thought it was worth a look though so asked Santa for the DVD and he obliged.
I liked it.

GP
01-01-2023, 01:06 AM
Last Night in Soho

I liked it.

Edgar Wright never misses.

Niall_Quinn
04-01-2023, 07:03 PM
Last Night in Soho

I liked it.

Thanks. Appreciated. I won't watch that one then.

Letters
12-02-2023, 10:01 PM
“Pride and Prejudice”

MrsL’s birthday so she made me watch it.
Holy shit it’s terrible.

HCZ_Reborn
14-02-2023, 11:27 AM
Watched The Menu a couple of weeks ago

Very silly but watchable

FootieJohn909
20-02-2023, 11:53 AM
I would say decent for its time

Xhaka Can’t
21-02-2023, 08:19 AM
Watched The Menu a couple of weeks ago

Very silly but watchable

It was watchable, but when I was leaving the cinema, I couldn’t figure out if I’d enjoyed it or not. Still can’t, but it was satisfying watching a bunch of absolute pretentious cunts suffer and die.

GP
21-02-2023, 09:48 AM
I like The Menu.

I think.

IBK
21-02-2023, 10:02 AM
Did 3 Oscar nominees recently.

- Everything everywhere...I just found irritating; over kitsch and over long. Very disappointing.

- Banshees...outstanding. Script perfect. Cinematography jaw dropping. Leads and supporting cast near faultless. Reading afterwards about what the movie is an allegory for very interesting.

- Aftersun. Low budget but heartbreaking and haunting.

HCZ_Reborn
28-02-2023, 10:34 PM
Watched Cocaine Bear this evening and it was very instructive

Instructive that one should not go and see a film based on the trailer

Just wasn’t in the least bit funny, a script written by people who thought the concept alone would carry it

HCZ_Reborn
28-02-2023, 10:35 PM
Did 3 Oscar nominees recently.

- Everything everywhere...I just found irritating; over kitsch and over long. Very disappointing.

- Banshees...outstanding. Script perfect. Cinematography jaw dropping. Leads and supporting cast near faultless. Reading afterwards about what the movie is an allegory for very interesting.

- Aftersun. Low budget but heartbreaking and haunting.

Downloaded the Banshees of Inisherin on Apple but haven’t got round to watching yet

I have high expectations given that it’s got the same people that did In Bruges and The Guard (films I both genuinely loved)

HCZ_Reborn
28-02-2023, 10:37 PM
I like The Menu.

I think.

Yeah I get what you mean, I still can’t decide what I thought of it. Utterly daft film but strangely compelling

HCZ_Reborn
18-04-2023, 03:30 PM
Watched Nobody

Utterly absurd film, ridiculously over the top and violent. Entertaining, and Bob Odenkirk seems incredibly at ease as an action star

Marc Overmars
18-04-2023, 08:16 PM
Went to see the Super Mario Bros movie tonight. A very fun and nostalgic watch. Pretty thin in terms of plot but that was expected, it was never going to be a masterpiece. :lol:

Made me want to play Mario Galaxy again though.

Mac76
19-04-2023, 02:47 PM
haven't been to the cinema in years - too many phones going off, people talking, eating from noisy packets of sweets, popcorn etc etc

HCZ_Reborn
19-04-2023, 03:28 PM
haven't been to the cinema in years - too many phones going off, people talking, eating from noisy packets of sweets, popcorn etc etc

Try the Everyman, a far superior cinema experience…having people bring a beer to your seat which will invariably be obscenely comfortable

But ultimately the cost puts me off going to the cinema, just feels like you can pay a few quid more and buy the film on Apple TV

Mac76
19-04-2023, 03:51 PM
Try the Everyman, a far superior cinema experience…having people bring a beer to your seat which will invariably be obscenely comfortable

but that pisses me off too, i really want to concentrate hard on a film, not have my view impaired by someone serving someone a beer/food whatever

and f**k Apple, anyone who gives them money is a mug

Letters
19-04-2023, 04:36 PM
I went to see...I think it was IT. There was a row of kids in front of me chatting, looking at their phones, etc.
In the end I snapped and yelled at them. Thankfully I'm old enough that they actually listened. For a while anyway.

HCZ_Reborn
19-04-2023, 04:59 PM
I went to see...I think it was IT. There was a row of kids in front of me chatting, looking at their phones, etc.
In the end I snapped and yelled at them. Thankfully I'm old enough that they actually listened. For a while anyway.

By listened do you mean hung you upside down from a lamp post?

Letters
19-04-2023, 05:08 PM
I was like “You, shut it! You, phone away! You two, shut it!”

And they did :cool:

Well, sort of. They weren’t exactly perfectly behaved after I snapped, but they weren’t as bad as before. I’ve no idea what made them think that any of that was acceptable in a cinema :sulk:

Kids! :rolleyes:

HCZ_Reborn
08-05-2023, 03:45 PM
Netflix decided to upload Lawrence of Arabia, and as it is a Bank Holiday I decided to give it a watch

Visually stunning, some excellent scenes with an excellent performance from Peter O Toole who demonstrates almost bipolar like mood swings from crippling despair to outright demagoguery to suck the energy away from almost everyone else in the cast with the exception of Anthony Quinn.

Film itself feels a little bit fractured and messy in places , never seems to go at a consistent pace….which seems unnecessary for an epic almost four hours in length. But imagine going to see that in the cinema in the early 60s.

Niall_Quinn
08-05-2023, 09:41 PM

And if it had been a gang of black yoofs in hoodies, swearing their black arses off and puffing weed?

Or drunk city traders yobbos in their puke stained designer garb, showing off for cowering commuters who thought them pathetic but didn't have the nerve to say so?

Are you taking this crusade all the way?

Mac76
09-05-2023, 02:04 PM
I was like “You, shut it! You, phone away! You two, shut it!”

And they did :cool:

Well, sort of. They weren’t exactly perfectly behaved after I snapped, but they weren’t as bad as before. I’ve no idea what made them think that any of that was acceptable in a cinema :sulk:

Kids! :rolleyes:

obvs many years ago, I went to a screening of Full Metal Jacket when it came out, in daytime during the week, there were about 30 people scattered around the cinema

during the bootcamp scenes, some guy towards the back kept shouting out things lke "Yo!!", "yes SIR!!" etc.

clearly he got under eveyone's collective skin, as one time he did it pretty much everyone else simultaneously shouted out variations on "shut the f*** up"

he was quiet after that... :)

FootieJohn909
26-05-2023, 02:00 PM
I heard deadpool 3 is coming out next year - whos watching it

Niall_Quinn
27-05-2023, 07:10 PM
obvs many years ago, I went to a screening of Full Metal Jacket when it came out, in daytime during the week, there were about 30 people scattered around the cinema

during the bootcamp scenes, some guy towards the back kept shouting out things lke "Yo!!", "yes SIR!!" etc.

clearly he got under eveyone's collective skin, as one time he did it pretty much everyone else simultaneously shouted out variations on "shut the f*** up"

he was quiet after that... :)

I would have opened up on you all, with 7.62. Absolute bloodbath. Not for the kicks, but for fidelity with the movie theme. I'm into art.

HCZ_Reborn
30-05-2023, 10:30 AM
Banshees of Inisherin - Father Ted combined with existential angst, and the allegory of a civil war that no one really understands what it’s all about.

Letters
09-06-2023, 06:56 AM
Trainspotting.

I’d never seen this before. I can’t really explain why, just never got around to it. It was on TV some time over Christmas or something so I recorded it and finally watched it last night. I’d heard good things and those good things were correct.

HCZ_Reborn
09-06-2023, 08:24 AM
Trainspotting would get on my top 50 list of favourite films easily

Although not as good, T2 is worth a watch as well

Begbie is for me one of the most iconic characters in cinema, just a horrible individual with little to no redeeming qualities. If the guy walked into the same pub you were drinking in, before he opened his mouth youd just want to get the fuck out of there.
What I love is in the scene where he just casually tosses a pint glass off the balcony of the first floor seating area of the bar they are in, before he goes downstairs he makes sure to leave his flick knife on the table because obviously a hair trigger psycho like that might end up using it in the midst of a brawl, and the only thing he seems to be scared of is a long prison stretch.

The Wengerbabies
05-11-2023, 10:53 PM
Disney film making process

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SfHylCEoidg

The Wengerbabies
16-12-2023, 11:14 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBG3iyr5N70

:popcorn:

Letters
16-12-2023, 04:47 PM
Hmm. Another one they probably should have left alone. Might be ok I guess

The Wengerbabies
16-12-2023, 04:55 PM
Hmm. Another one they probably should have left alone. Might be ok I guess

I think it looks pretty good. The third was always the weakest (I still enjoyed it). There's supposedly going to be a Lethal Weapon 5 maybe next year, that's one I really think they should leave alone, the 4th wrapped things up nicely.

Eddie Murphy really doesn't look 62 though. Black don't crack.

Letters
16-12-2023, 05:40 PM
Of course the trailer makes it looks good, that's the point of a trailer!
They kind of got away with the Coming To America sequel, I guess. I mean, I won't be watching it again but it was a bit of a love letter to the original and, as such, had enough references to be watchable.

Letters
21-12-2023, 03:16 PM
Home Alone 2

Holy shit, what a terrible film.

Mac76
22-12-2023, 10:33 AM
Home Alone 2

Holy shit, what a terrible film.

you really had to watch it to know that...? :rolleyes:

Letters
22-12-2023, 01:13 PM
you really had to watch it to know that...? :rolleyes:

:lol: it would have been my guess, but I hadn’t actually seen it.
Arguably I still haven’t as I only watched parts while the boy watched it.
From what I saw though, virtually every line of dialogue is contrived and only there to establish some plot point. It’s full of completely improbable and/or unrealistic events to drive the plot forward. Just a garbage movie from start to finish.

HCZ_Reborn
22-12-2023, 02:02 PM
:lol: it would have been my guess, but I hadn’t actually seen it.
Arguably I still haven’t as I only watched parts while the boy watched it.
From what I saw though, virtually every line of dialogue is contrived and only there to establish some plot point. It’s full of completely improbable and/or unrealistic events to drive the plot forward. Just a garbage movie from start to finish.

Who are you? Cinema sins?

https://youtu.be/xJPycDTQcjg?si=09hEquZvwcQdzO-6

Letters
22-12-2023, 03:32 PM
:d

I mean, he’s right. I know it’s not a film which is supposed to be taken seriously but it is complete badly written bullshit from start to finish.

Mac76
22-12-2023, 04:29 PM
it's the epitome of hollywood bollocks featuring a boy whose face is an open invitation to a heavy blow with a baseball bat

Letters
22-12-2023, 04:49 PM
Yes, the fact that Caulkin is very punchable is definitely a factor.

HCZ_Reborn
22-12-2023, 09:29 PM
Just watched Leave the World behind. Which is at surface level a post apocalyptic film but there’s a few other elements in there - psychological thriller, horror…bit of racial tension thrown into the mix.

There’s also a strong element of conflict between escapism be it real or fiction and adjusting to a new reality.

It’s a film that leaves you with more questions than answers, and some of the CGI (the Flamingos) looks a bit ropey…but it’s watchable even though Mahershala Ali aside none of the characters is especially that likeable.

Letters
07-01-2024, 09:12 PM
Wonka

A rare cinema outing for MrsL and myself. I really enjoyed it. Obviously most of it doesn't make much sense if you think about it too hard so...don't! Just sit back and enjoy the fun and nonsense. And there's quite a few "Oh! I didn't know they were in it" moments. Good fun all round.

HCZ_Reborn
14-01-2024, 08:39 AM
Oppenheimer - bought it on Apple a few weeks ago and watched it (not all in one sitting the bloody thing is three hours long)

I always like watching Mark Kermode’s film review after watching a film and where we agree and disagree. Kermode like myself thought that Cillian Murphy was excellent in the film (I didn’t expect any less, despite the fact that the series is not as good as it was his performance as the tormented Tommy Shelby in Peaky Blinders, alone makes it worth watching). He does a great job in the title role playing a deeply complicated and conflicted man.

Kermode also like me, found the film fractured and confusing in the timeline presentation, and it’s not really until the end of the film that you are fully able to get a grip on what’s going on.

It’s a good film in my view, a film that’s largely about conversation and not action it is able to engage its audience over an extensive run time and that’s no mean feat.

The film is less about the process in creating the atomic bomb at Los Alamos (which id have preferred) and more a character biopic of Oppenheimer and the shabby treatment he received as a result of Cold War paranoia and an act of personal vengeance taken out against him. I don’t see anything wrong with this per se, first of all it’s Nolan’s choice as to how he wants to tell this story. But given it’s adapted from a novel called American Prometheus you’d also expect a little more emphasis on the moral implication of creating something that simply can’t be put back into the box again.

But then the assumption behind the Manhattan Project was that German scientists would create such a weapon, and that the Americans had a moral responsibility to at least match their achievements.

Would have liked to have seen more about the science - as eminent physicists like Nils Bohr and Heisenberg are lauded as geniuses without any real grounding as to why and therefore they largely become one dimensional cardboard cut outs.

Anyway that’s just my opinion and it still stands up as a film worth watching. Albeit with the subject matter and the material that could have been explored, a three hour film could indeed have become one of the greatest television series’ ever made.

Niall_Quinn
02-02-2024, 12:47 AM
Saw The Boys in the Boat today.

Fucking Hollywood, eh?

Great book though - well worth the read.

IBK
02-02-2024, 11:37 AM
Oppenheimer - bought it on Apple a few weeks ago and watched it (not all in one sitting the bloody thing is three hours long)

I always like watching Mark Kermode’s film review after watching a film and where we agree and disagree. Kermode like myself thought that Cillian Murphy was excellent in the film (I didn’t expect any less, despite the fact that the series is not as good as it was his performance as the tormented Tommy Shelby in Peaky Blinders, alone makes it worth watching). He does a great job in the title role playing a deeply complicated and conflicted man.

Kermode also like me, found the film fractured and confusing in the timeline presentation, and it’s not really until the end of the film that you are fully able to get a grip on what’s going on.

It’s a good film in my view, a film that’s largely about conversation and not action it is able to engage its audience over an extensive run time and that’s no mean feat.

The film is less about the process in creating the atomic bomb at Los Alamos (which id have preferred) and more a character biopic of Oppenheimer and the shabby treatment he received as a result of Cold War paranoia and an act of personal vengeance taken out against him. I don’t see anything wrong with this per se, first of all it’s Nolan’s choice as to how he wants to tell this story. But given it’s adapted from a novel called American Prometheus you’d also expect a little more emphasis on the moral implication of creating something that simply can’t be put back into the box again.

But then the assumption behind the Manhattan Project was that German scientists would create such a weapon, and that the Americans had a moral responsibility to at least match their achievements.

Would have liked to have seen more about the science - as eminent physicists like Nils Bohr and Heisenberg are lauded as geniuses without any real grounding as to why and therefore they largely become one dimensional cardboard cut outs.

Anyway that’s just my opinion and it still stands up as a film worth watching. Albeit with the subject matter and the material that could have been explored, a three hour film could indeed have become one of the greatest television series’ ever made.

Thanks for this - great review. Maybe it would have served better as a short series like Chernobyl ?

HCZ_Reborn
02-02-2024, 01:58 PM
Thanks for this - great review. Maybe it would have served better as a short series like Chernobyl ?

Well that was my view indeed

Letters
28-02-2024, 05:07 AM
Mr Bean's Holiday.

Bloody rubbish. Maybe OK if you're a 6 year old, but I'm not.

Letters
28-02-2024, 05:08 AM
Loving Vincent.

Now this was quite good. About the death of Van Gogh. It's animated and done so entirely with oil paintings in the style of Van Gogh. Visually stunning.

Niall_Quinn
28-02-2024, 05:38 PM
Loving Vincent.

Now this was quite good. About the death of Van Gogh. It's animated and done so entirely with oil paintings in the style of Van Gogh. Visually stunning.

Fuck. That sounds so terrible I might watch it.

The Wengerbabies
01-04-2024, 11:37 PM
Road House (2024) - 8/10

Anyone But You - 7/10 (nohomo)

HCZ_Reborn
06-05-2024, 02:44 PM
Hotel Mumbai (2018)

Anyone who thinks Jihadist groups are Freedom fighters, should watch this and ask themselves what was the justification for what Lashkar-e-Taiba did in 2008. It was a vicious slaughter, like October 7th, like The Paris attacks, like the Manchester arena bombing, like the 9/11 attacks.

And it’s long past time we stopped blaming ourselves for what these depraved inhuman animals do

Letters
07-05-2024, 10:34 AM
The Great Race (1965)

Watched this on the plane back from Cairo.
Quite good fun. One of those mad-cap comedies, plenty of slapstick silliness.
Tony Curtis, Jack Lemon, Natalie Wood and a pre-Columbo Peter Falk.