PDA

View Full Version : Is there another "top bracket" manager who has gone 7 seasons without a trophy?

gunnerrrrr
06-05-2012, 05:27 PM
I am generally wondering if there is another top bracket manager who has gone so long without winning.

Not sure how much transfer fees, etc can be blamed when we have a huge wage bill, and players like Ramsey, Denilson, Bendtner, Squilachi, Almunia etc have been given chance after chance.

Serious question....i cant think of anyone..most would have been sacked long ago.

Marc Overmars
06-05-2012, 05:33 PM
The rules are different for Arsene Wenger.

Olivier's xmas twist
06-05-2012, 05:43 PM
I am generally wondering if there is another top bracket manager who has gone so long without winning.

Not sure how much transfer fees, etc can be blamed when we have a huge wage bill, and players like Ramsey, Denilson, Bendtner, Squilachi, Almunia etc have been given chance after chance.

Serious question....i cant think of anyone..most would have been sacked long ago.

You know the answer so why ask the question.

GP
06-05-2012, 05:45 PM
In our jobs, we all have targets to meet. If we fail to meet those targets, we suffer the consequences.

What people need to realise, is Arsene's targets are not set by the fans, but by his employers.

Özim
06-05-2012, 05:45 PM
I can't think of one, but it's OK for Wenger as 4th place is like a major trophy. If I was AW I'd be pretty disappointed with my performance and career in the last 7 years, you'd have thought he'd have wanted to add a few more trophies to his collection, sadly he seems content with 4th places.....is there another big club manager with so little ambition to succeed?

It seems a long long time ago since we were that top side who were great to watch and so competitive, if you look at his record over the whole period with us it's not really that great.

Özim
06-05-2012, 05:48 PM
The rules are different for Arsene Wenger.
Pretty much, people rightly lambast Man City for spending huge fortunes, we just pocket them which is equally distasteful IMO....neither of these is good for football.

Olivier's xmas twist
06-05-2012, 05:49 PM
In our jobs, we all have targets to meet. If we fail to meet those targets, we suffer the consequences.

What people need to realise, is Arsene's targets are not set by the fans, but by his employers.

Finally someone on here with a brain not a tropy driven idiot.

Stupid thread tbh.

Özim
06-05-2012, 05:52 PM
Finally someone on here with a brain not a tropy driven idiot.

Stupid thread tbh.
What a stupid response, considering some of the responses you come out with maybe you should choose your words more carefully.

A manager should if he has any pride in his job try to succeed and do his best, AW doesn't all he does is make money, that's not football at all. He's got no pride in his job clearly.

Olivier's xmas twist
06-05-2012, 05:55 PM
What a stupid response.

If you want stupidity then look at those allowing the board to line their pockets.

It is a stupid thread cause we all know the answer, but because you like to slate Wenger its a top thread.

So what your doing is calling the fans stupid for lining the boards pockets nice that.

Özim
06-05-2012, 05:56 PM
It is a stupid thread cause we all know the answer, but because you like to slate Wenger its a top thread.

So what your doing is calling the fans stupid for lining the boards pockets nice that.
I changed my post somewhat, but if your point is valid then in a sense yes, though it's a bit more complex than that. I personally think Arsenal fans just put up and shut up on the whole, there's not really many signs of discontent overall....maybe fans are happy paying sky high prices, getting 4th every season and having a board who are happy lining their own pockets.

Olivier's xmas twist
06-05-2012, 06:06 PM
I changed my post somewhat, but if your point is valid then in a sense yes, though it's a bit more complex than that. I personally think Arsenal fans just put up and shut up on the whole, there's not really many signs of discontent overall....maybe fans are happy paying sky high prices, getting 4th every season and having a board who are happy lining their own pockets.

Not all fans are happy but you get the prawn sandwich tory boys who buy season tickets and don't go to half these games and don't care what goes on in the club, this is the problem.

Its the hard working fans who spends his last pounds on a season ticket only to see this rubbish, becuse they could have used it for better, but a part of me feels its their choice too.

Of course no other top manager wouldd still be in the job and we all know it thats why i said it was a stupid thread. Because if their is another manager that could be allowed to do this then id be shocked.

21_GOONER_SALUTE
06-05-2012, 06:46 PM
A good question that should be repeated anytime AW or the board come out with their crap, about how lucky we are to always be in the mix of things (at least in their pathetic minds).

But TBH the more revealing question would be " Is there a top bracket club in Europe, actually scratch that, in the known footballing world (I.e the 2 continents), that has gone 7 years without any silverware- let me repeat, 28 consecutive chances to win a trophy and achieved zip zero, with the added obnoxiousness of still unbelievably maintaining the full status quo???".

This rightly damns everyone and IMO is probably why Zimm should never have changed his original post.

Power n Glory
06-05-2012, 06:50 PM
There aren't many top bracket managers that have had 7 years with one club yet alone gone 7 years without winning anything. Wenger has had a rare opportunity to build team after team and most managers just don't get that chance.

The argument about Wenger meeting the boards targets are just odd. Once read an interview from Wenger about developing young players. He said something along the line that he's fortunate to be in a business where every player wants to be a star and te players he works with should naturally strive to be better. He shouldn't have tell his young players to turn up on time for training or to stay out of trouble. I think he was referring to the Pennant and Quincy situation at the time. Apply the same logic to the situation between him and the board. Even if the Board are content with 4th place as a minimum, should he as a coach of a top club be satisfied with that? Where is his sporting ambition? 7 years without a trophy should be burning him on the inside and he should be banging on the Boards door to
demanding a change to their approach of their showing no ambition rather than the other way round.

Xhaka Can’t
06-05-2012, 06:52 PM
I appear to have stumbled upon

http://transformedandscaled.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/wamb.jpg

thread.

Olivier's xmas twist
06-05-2012, 06:56 PM

The argument about Wenger meeting the boards targets are just odd. .

Not really, they pay him we don't simples. if they were not happy with 4th place regalrdless of how much money he makes then he'd be sacked.

You think if he finished 10th in the last season but made them money he'd be there?

Olivier's xmas twist
06-05-2012, 06:56 PM
I appear to have stumbled upon

http://transformedandscaled.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/wamb.jpg

thread.

:haha:

Grebbo
06-05-2012, 06:59 PM
Is there another "top bracket" manager who has spent 7 seasons at the same club?

Not many.

You cannot judge Wenger against the top managers with his transfer budget. He could have left to RM but didn't.

The only thing you can do is give all managers the same budget and see what they can do.

He's certainly not a top tactician but could any other manager in the world get this squad of players higher than 3rd?? No.

Power n Glory
06-05-2012, 07:13 PM
Not so sure about that. Man Utd have a very weak squad but have still managed to win a title and go toe to toe with City.

fakeyank
06-05-2012, 07:17 PM
Not really, they pay him we don't simples. if they were not happy with 4th place regalrdless of how much money he makes then he'd be sacked.

You think if he finished 10th in the last season but made them money he'd be there?

That implies AW is just in it for the money. So you are saying, all he cares about is the 6 million quid.. ok got it. If thats the case then he is a money grabbing coach and we should not have his 'likes' at Arsenal.

Olivier's xmas twist
06-05-2012, 07:21 PM
That implies AW is just in it for the money. So you are saying, all he cares about is the 6 million quid.. ok got it. If thats the case then he is a money grabbing coach and we should not have his 'likes' at Arsenal.

Don't see where i said he was in it for the money, I said they pay him not us.

They are happy with 4th otherwise he'd be gone.

What i'm saying is if he finish 10th then they sack him reardless or he'd walk too.

jelgoon
06-05-2012, 07:22 PM
None of us really know how much money Wenger has had to spend over the years. Season after season the board had said money is there but it is never really spent on decent top class players. This is my take on it. In the early years, Wenger did a brilliant job transforming unknown players into world beaters. He did it with Viera,Henry,Pires, Anelka, Lunjberg and probably others I forget.It went to his head. The media and even other managers praised him to the hilt. What an incredible manager for discovering talent they said. He believed the hype; he thought he was the best. He couldnt then go out and buy top stars as he would lose his reputation as the `discoverer' of new talent. Thats why he still harks on about bringing the youth through. Unfortunately he no longer has the skill to bring on unknown players and make them world beaters. He hasnt brought through anyone decent for years apart from Fabregas ( who was always going to be brilliant whoever he played for as he was stolen from Barca's academy)Wilshire(lets see how well he does after these injuries) and thats about it. Rather than change tack, Wenger lives in the past -he craves the attention and incredibly for someone so unsuccessful in recent years the press and other managers still talk about him as a top international manager

There aren't many top bracket managers that have had 7 years with one club yet alone gone 7 years without winning anything. Wenger has had a rare opportunity to build team after team and most managers just don't get that chance.

The argument about Wenger meeting the boards targets are just odd. Once read an interview from Wenger about developing young players. He said something along the line that he's fortunate to be in a business where every player wants to be a star and te players he works with should naturally strive to be better. He shouldn't have tell his young players to turn up on time for training or to stay out of trouble. I think he was referring to the Pennant and Quincy situation at the time. Apply the same logic to the situation between him and the board. Even if the Board are content with 4th place as a minimum, should he as a coach of a top club be satisfied with that? Where is his sporting ambition? 7 years without a trophy should be burning him on the inside and he should be banging on the Boards door to
demanding a change to their approach of their showing no ambition rather than the other way round.

Niall_Quinn
06-05-2012, 07:23 PM
We make a profit in the transfer windows and the ex-shareholders took Stan for £500mill. Any other questions?

Power n Glory
06-05-2012, 07:32 PM
None of us really know how much money Wenger has had to spend over the years. Season after season the board had said money is there but it is never really spent on decent top class players. This is my take on it. In the early years, Wenger did a brilliant job transforming unknown players into world beaters. He did it with Viera,Henry,Pires, Anelka, Lunjberg and probably others I forget.It went to his head. The media and even other managers praised him to the hilt. What an incredible manager for discovering talent they said. He believed the hype; he thought he was the best. He couldnt then go out and buy top stars as he would lose his reputation as the `discoverer' of new talent. Thats why he still harks on about bringing the youth through. Unfortunately he no longer has the skill to bring on unknown players and make them world beaters. He hasnt brought through anyone decent for years apart from Fabregas ( who was always going to be brilliant whoever he played for as he was stolen from Barca's academy)Wilshire(lets see how well he does after these injuries) and thats about it. Rather than change tack, Wenger lives in the past -he craves the attention and incredibly for someone so unsuccessful in recent years the press and other managers still talk about him as a top international manager

It might have gone to his head a bit. How much he has to spend isn't even an issue for me anymore. I'm questioning his judgement in players and tactics now. His persistence with Ramsey and Gervinho over Ox is baffling and the fact that he's unable to motivate players low on confidence is another worry.

Grebbo
06-05-2012, 07:44 PM
Not so sure about that. Man Utd have a very weak squad but have still managed to win a title and go toe to toe with City.

If you think Manure have 'a very weak squad' then you don't know much about football.

I can't think of any of our players who'd get into their team and that includes RVP.

Xhaka Can’t
06-05-2012, 07:49 PM
If you think Manure have 'a very weak squad' then you don't know much about football.

I can't think of any of our players who'd get into their team and that includes RVP.

Yeah, you'd be nuts to put the best player in the League in your team.

That right there is where Wenger is going wrong.

Olivier's xmas twist
06-05-2012, 07:49 PM

Touche.

Power n Glory
06-05-2012, 07:53 PM

:lol: That squad doesn't compare to City's or Chelsea's squad and your having a laugh if you don't think RVP would get into their squad.

This is the weakest Arsenal squad we've seen in years but it's not as if we haven't had better. Even with better players we've struggled to challenge for the title. Last season we lost the Carlong Cup final to Birmingham so even if we're up against teams with more money it's no excuse to go 7 years without winning a trophy.

jelgoon
06-05-2012, 07:55 PM
Yeh that is a bit of a stupid comment about RVP. I can assure you he would be in their team most matches.I also think that a fully-fit Wilshire would get into their central midfield and Schezny is as good as De Gea if not better. I also think that a fit Sagna is better than Smalling at right back.

Power n Glory
06-05-2012, 07:56 PM
Swap it around. If Wenger had that Man Utd side, does anyone think he'd be able to win the league? I don't think so.

Cripps_orig
06-05-2012, 07:57 PM
Havent read the thread so dont know if its been said but Wenger isnt a top bracket manager and hasnt been for a long time

Olivier's xmas twist
06-05-2012, 07:58 PM
Swap it around. If Wenger had that Man Utd side, does anyone think he'd be able to win the league? I don't think so.

Yes the board is diffrent to ours and he'd not be allowed to Go however many years without winning.

Syn
06-05-2012, 08:00 PM
I'm with PnG on this. I don't reckon Man Utd's squad is great. Or, at least, their starting XI certainly isn't. It's all about the manager with Man Utd - Fergie has done an incredible job.

About Wenger, I don't know if there is another manager who could do better than Arsene with the funds, resources etc. he has got, but I'd like to find out.

jelgoon
06-05-2012, 08:06 PM
Yeh but hed get them fourth place which is just as good as challenging for the title.

Olivier's xmas twist
06-05-2012, 08:07 PM
Yeh but hed get them fourth place which is just as good as challenging for the title.

They'd sack him for that.

Grebbo
06-05-2012, 08:08 PM
Yeah, you'd be nuts to put the best player in the League in your team.

That right there is where Wenger is going wrong.

You think Fergie would swap Rooney for RVP?

Grebbo
06-05-2012, 08:09 PM
Yeh that is a bit of a stupid comment about RVP. I can assure you he would be in their team most matches.I also think that a fully-fit Wilshire would get into their central midfield and Schezny is as good as De Gea if not better. I also think that a fit Sagna is better than Smalling at right back.

So you'd put Rooney on the bench and play RVP?

Grebbo
06-05-2012, 08:10 PM

Fergie isn't going to win the league with that Manure side and he's the greatest manager of all time.

Grebbo
06-05-2012, 08:12 PM
I'm with PnG on this. I don't reckon Man Utd's squad is great. Or, at least, their starting XI certainly isn't. It's all about the manager with Man Utd - Fergie has done an incredible job.

Which team's squad are you comparing to? Only City have a better squad.

I'm surprised anyone thinks otherwise.

Xhaka Can’t
06-05-2012, 08:12 PM
He does not have to go on the bench, but if you don't think the best player in the league can't get into that team, well good luck to you.

Cripps_orig
06-05-2012, 08:13 PM
RVP would walk in to that team to play alongside Rooney. Even if it was between Rooney and RVP, RVP wins comfortably

Grebbo
06-05-2012, 08:14 PM
He does not have to go on the bench, but if you don't think the best player in the league can't get into that team, well good luck to you.

Fergie plays 4-5-1 so yeah one of them goes on the bench.

Xhaka Can’t
06-05-2012, 08:16 PM

He plays 4-5-1 because he does not have the best player in the league in his team.

Look, you made a mong statement in what was otherwise a fairly decent point. Deal with it and stop digging.

Syn
06-05-2012, 08:17 PM
Which team's squad are you comparing to? Only City have a better squad.

I'm surprised anyone thinks otherwise.

I'm comparing it to Man City's. And I would say it's on a similar, if not lower, level than Chelsea's. But in any case, the point isn't about how many teams have better squads, it's how much Man City's squad is better. To be neck-and-neck with them is a pretty good achievement.

McNamara That Ghost...
Welbeck had been starting with Rooney quite often. I think the whole argument about who gets in to the other's team a bit nebulous though. We don't play as Man Utd do in an attacking sense so what players they have are not neccesarily the ones that would start for us and vica-versa.

Power n Glory
Fergie isn't going to win the league with that Manure side and he's the greatest manager of all time.

He won last year. Give Wenger that same crop of players to coach and he'd struggle. Disagree if you want about league positions but it's still no excuse to lose out every year in the Carling Cup and FA Cup.

Olivier's xmas twist
06-05-2012, 08:18 PM

No they both play in a 433. its just that Bebatov is poor and Harnadez has had second season blues.

Grebbo
06-05-2012, 08:22 PM
He won last year. Give Wenger that same crop of players to coach and he'd struggle. Disagree if you want about league positions but it's still no excuse to lose out every year in the Carling Cup and FA Cup.

How did Fergie do in the CC and FA Cup this year?

I think Wenger is shit but we're not going to do any better, all I'm saying is it's tough to win shit these days. You should have set your sights lower a long time ago. Most of us could see the glory days were long gone when Roman came to town. We now have a sheikh to deal with too.

Olivier's xmas twist
06-05-2012, 08:22 PM

You may be right, but we'll never know. so its an irrlevant point.

Olivier's xmas twist
06-05-2012, 08:23 PM

I think Wenger is shit but we're not going to do any better, all I'm saying is it's tough to win shit these days. You should have set your sights lower a long time ago. Most of us could see the glory days were long gone when Roman came to town. We now have a sheikh to deal with too.

Spot fucking on.

Grebbo
06-05-2012, 08:27 PM
I'm comparing it to Man City's. And I would say it's on a similar, if not lower, level than Chelsea's. But in any case, the point isn't about how many teams have better squads, it's how much Man City's squad is better. To be neck-and-neck with them is a pretty good achievement.

Yeah sure but Manure have 20yrs worth of winning mentality and are the biggest club in the league. That still brings a lot of fear factor which gets you a long way. Lot's of teams (and ref's) don't even bother turning up against them.

We don't have that.

I still think you're underestimating Manure's squad but it's all about opinions. And of course Fergie is better than Wenger.

Olivier's xmas twist
06-05-2012, 08:29 PM
Yeah sure but Manure have 20yrs worth of winning mentality and are the biggest club in the league. That still brings a lot of fear factor which gets you a long way. Lot's of teams (and ref's) don't even bother turning up against them.

We don't have that.

I still think you're underestimating Manure's squad

but it's all about opinions. And of course Fergie is

better than Wenger.

Yep its silly to compare us to the Mancs it don't make a bit of sense comparing us with a club better then us and like you say has that fear factor etc.

Syn
06-05-2012, 08:29 PM

We don't have that.

I still think you're underestimating Manure's squad but it's all about opinions. And of course Fergie is better than Wenger.

Good point. It's definitely true that to beat Man Utd to the league you can't just be a little bit better than them - you have to be a lot better than them. That's not crazy paranoia shit, it's the truth. It seems Man City are indeed a lot better.

Power n Glory
06-05-2012, 08:33 PM

He won the league last year and the team hasn't changed that much. Last year's squad was weaker than the he has now. But regardless of that, it's bloody embarrssing that we lose a Carling Cup final against Birmingham City. Talk about funds and budgets go out the window when you look at that fact. Also, we consistently lose to teams like that in the league. Our recent barren run shows that. We've gone beyond the point of transfer funds and budgets. This is bad management.

Ernesto
07-05-2012, 07:18 AM
I think that what Wenger says and what Wenger means deep down are two entirely different things. He aims to win the league every single season. He aims to win the Champions League at the beginning of every season. The contempt he's shown in the recent past for the two domestic cups through team selection would suggest he's not after those trophies so much. This is why, when he says 3rd is 'like a trophy', I don't read too much into it. He doesn't have a poker face. You can tell he's disappointed for having gone through a trophyless campaign. Furthermore, coming back to the age-old argument, would we take a Carling Cup success over Champions League qualification? Speak to any Liverpool fan this month. They certainly wouldn't. However, I do agree with Arsenal fans when they say such successes shouldn't be mutually exclusive.

Back to the question about a top-bracket manager going so many years without a trophy- I can only think of Fabio Capello, but I'm not entirely sure if he was manager at Real Madrid when they won La Liga back in 2007 :unsure:

Olivier's xmas twist
07-05-2012, 10:41 AM
I think that what Wenger says and what Wenger means deep down are two entirely different things. He aims to win the league every single season. He aims to win the Champions League at the beginning of every season. The contempt he's shown in the recent past for the two domestic cups through team selection would suggest he's not after those trophies so much. This is why, when he says 3rd is 'like a trophy', I don't read too much into it. He doesn't have a poker face. You can tell he's disappointed for having gone through a trophyless campaign. Furthermore, coming back to the age-old argument, would we take a Carling Cup success over Champions League qualification? Speak to any Liverpool fan this month. They certainly wouldn't. However, I do agree with Arsenal fans when they say such successes shouldn't be mutually exclusive.

Spot on tbh people read too much into that Top 4 being a trophy crap, yes he says it but i doubt he means it, i just think he says it so his young players confidence is protected.

If this was a man who did not care about trophy's then why after we lost to barca the last 2 times did he look so defeatist.

Why when we loose big games does he sulk so much.

Aw needs to be less Stubbon and treat these kids like grown men then they be better off for it.

Globalgunner
07-05-2012, 10:49 AM
Wenger would win a lot more stuff, even with this crap team if only he could get his midfield to track back when a counterattack is going on. I mean this level of professionalism should not require a top bracket manager to instil, even shit teams managed by a walrus like Aston Villa do it FFS

Letters
07-05-2012, 10:58 AM
I can't think of one, but it's OK for Wenger as 4th place is like a major trophy. If I was AW I'd be pretty disappointed with my performance and career in the last 7 years, you'd have thought he'd have wanted to add a few more trophies to his collection, sadly he seems content with 4th places.....is there another big club manager with so little ambition to succeed?

It seems a long long time ago since we were that top side who were great to watch and so competitive, if you look at his record over the whole period with us it's not really that great.

The first paragraph isn't fair. When we're failing you can see how much it hurts him. He clearly wants us to still succeed. He may have lost the ability to succeed but not the ambition. As for the 2nd paragraph, the first half of his time with us was the most successful in our modern history. 2 doubles, an unbeaten league season and, arguably as important, all done with a style of football the like of which I'd never seen Arsenal play. The later trophies under Graham were impressive in that they were won with a pretty mediocre side but the boring football was awful to watch and the league form was pathetic. If you just care about the end result of a season, not too bad. If you follow the journey it was 8 months of dirge followed by a decent end. The 2nd half of Wenger's time with us has been disappointing but he's kept us in the top few year after year despite the rise of billionaire owners and other sides spending big to try and displace us. And all done against the backdrop of a complex stadium move which has restricted spending and awful commercial deals which have restricted income for a club of our stature (although he could and should have spent more). Against this backdrop I think he's done well to keep us in the top few. Having done so though, the failure to win any trophies is damning and no manager at a comparable club would have kept his job for this long. The football has been less good (although still loads better than the dirge in the latter Graham years) but overall to say his record is 'not that great' is simplistic revisionism IMO.

Özim
07-05-2012, 12:25 PM
Spot on tbh people read too much into that Top 4 being a trophy crap, yes he says it but i doubt he means it, i just think he says it so his young players confidence is protected.

If this was a man who did not care about trophy's then why after we lost to barca the last 2 times did he look so defeatist.

Why when we loose big games does he sulk so much.

Aw needs to be less Stubbon and treat these kids like grown men then they be better off for it.
So he looks defeated, so what? If he really cared he'd try and do something about it, the actions on the sidelines are just frustration at the time, if he it killed him that much he'd be out there every summer breaking his back to get better players in and dealing with the problem areas just like all the top managers.

IMO he'd like to win but is satisfied with 4th and no trophies, a manager who isn't doesn't do the things he does, they do everything in their power to win.

I liken it to a compulsive liar who believes what he says, Wenger is animated on the touchlines and believes he is desperate to win but the reality is that winning isn't as important as it should be to him.

Özim
07-05-2012, 12:31 PM
The first paragraph isn't fair. When we're failing you can see how much it hurts him. He clearly wants us to still succeed. He may have lost the ability to succeed but not the ambition. As for the 2nd paragraph, the first half of his time with us was the most successful in our modern history. 2 doubles, an unbeaten league season and, arguably as important, all done with a style of football the like of which I'd never seen Arsenal play. The later trophies under Graham were impressive in that they were won with a pretty mediocre side but the boring football was awful to watch and the league form was pathetic. If you just care about the end result of a season, not too bad. If you follow the journey it was 8 months of dirge followed by a decent end. The 2nd half of Wenger's time with us has been disappointing but he's kept us in the top few year after year despite the rise of billionaire owners and other sides spending big to try and displace us. And all done against the backdrop of a complex stadium move which has restricted spending and awful commercial deals which have restricted income for a club of our stature (although he could and should have spent more). Against this backdrop I think he's done well to keep us in the top few. Having done so though, the failure to win any trophies is damning and no manager at a comparable club would have kept his job for this long. The football has been less good (although still loads better than the dirge in the latter Graham years) but overall to say his record is 'not that great' is simplistic revisionism IMO.
As mentioned above, it might hurt him at the time, but he soon seems to forget...how else can you explain what he does in the transfer market and how stubborn he is after years of failure?

The first part of his spell was great that's true, but look at his overally record, I wouldn't say it's that fantastic, you can't ignore 7 years without a trophy. In the Graham days firstly we were banned from Europe and then we only had one CL place until later on, the motivation to comes 4th wasn't there in terms of getting a place in the CL. I'd also say it depends whether you think 4th place is an achievement, personally I don't, we get into the CL as 4th place team which is a joke in itself let's face it, the reward for 4th should be the Europa league not Europe's premier competition.

The money aspect is relevant of course but his signings haven't been good, he's consistently gone for cheap nobodies who mostly have in the end disappointed, if you have genuine aspirations on winning you need top players, we've had some in the past but due to our lack of competitiveness (trophy wise) and unwillingness to invest we've lost them.

Olivier's xmas twist
07-05-2012, 01:00 PM
So he looks defeated, so what? If he really cared he'd try and do something about it, the actions on the sidelines are just frustration at the time, if he it killed him that much he'd be out there every summer breaking his back to get better players in and dealing with the problem areas just like all the top managers.

IMO he'd like to win but is satisfied with 4th and no trophies, a manager who isn't doesn't do the things he does, they do everything in their power to win.

I liken it to a compulsive liar who believes what he says, Wenger is animated on the touchlines and believes he is desperate to win but the reality is that winning isn't as important as it should be to him.

If he diid not care he would not look defeated simple he just give 1 or 2 excues ans be done with it.

I not convinced he is happy with 4th just because he says it means nothing.

He has never said it when we were in comps only when e get knocked out of them or look like we may go out.

maybe he needs more motivation for winning but i still say his ambtion to win is there.

gunnerrrrr
07-05-2012, 01:21 PM
If he diid not care he would not look defeated simple he just give 1 or 2 excues ans be done with it.

He has never said it when we were in comps only when e get knocked out of them or look like we may go out.

maybe he needs more motivation for winning but i still say his ambtion to win is there.

Of course he cares....however this amplifies the very simple truth that he is simply not good enough anymore.

We have lost it on so many fronts over the last 7 years that it is shocking....lets start with this season and the shear amount of goals we have conceded. 5 years ago a major issue with our defednig came to light, now to be in a situation 5 years later where we are conceding a record number of goals states the fact that Wenger does not know how to manage the problem.

Then there is this whole placing 4th being a trophy! No wonder we keep on losing our best players, not to mention that we probably struggle now to attract the best youngsters....were we not close to siging Juan Mata?

Wenger has become a parody of himself, the tantrums, the quotes, the lack of trophies.....there is no chance players like RVP will stay...no chance.

Just so you all remember Frobes values us as the 7th most valuable sports brand across all sports, we are forth in terms of revenue in football alone, our fans pay through our noses to go to the football games.....and yet we cannot beat fucking Birmingham FC in a Carling Cup final.......im sorry that is down to one man and one man alone....Arsene Wenger.

I guarantee this summer we will lose RVP, yet as we have Podolski coming in and players like Wilshire returing Wenger will not buy fuck all....and watch the merry go round start again.

Özim
07-05-2012, 01:21 PM

Everyone wants to win, but only some people will do anything they need to to win.....those are the people who tend to win the trophies....Wenger won't hence the reason he's won nothing in 7 years.

jelgoon
07-05-2012, 01:27 PM
Obviously he cares and Im sure he wants to win the major trophies. The stuff he churns out all the time about having succeeded in qualifying for the CL every season is just to cover his failure to win a trophy. What is he going to say `yeh I agree I am shit and cant win anything'. The real issue is the board and particularly Hill Wood. He endorses without any criticisim whatsoever what Wenger says and thats what is wrong. We desperately need someone on the executive to turn round in those pathetic stage-managed AGMs and say that it's not good enough coming fourth season after season. But no-one ever will.

Olivier's xmas twist
07-05-2012, 02:56 PM
Obviously he cares and Im sure he wants to win the major trophies. The stuff he churns out all the time about having succeeded in qualifying for the CL every season is just to cover his failure to win a trophy. What is he going to say `yeh I agree I am shit and cant win anything'. The real issue is the board and particularly Hill Wood. He endorses without any criticisim whatsoever what Wenger says and thats what is wrong. We desperately need someone on the executive to turn round in those pathetic stage-managed AGMs and say that it's not good enough coming fourth season after season. But no-one ever will.

Spot on can't disagree with this at all. AW needs to stand up to the board because while he don't its all on him.

Everyone wants to win, but only some people will do anything they need to to win.....those are the people who tend to win the trophies....Wenger won't hence the reason he's won nothing in 7 years.

True, I agree he needs to go that extral mile instead of thinking he can win things on the cheap etc.

You don't need to spend a bucket load to win the league but you can't win it on peanuts either and as soon as tptb realise this the better.

Power n Glory
07-05-2012, 03:07 PM
It's all pride. He wants to show the world that he's right and everyone else is wrong. He looks hurt after each loss because his pride has been dented. What he's doing is a bit selfish. He gives young players a chance but it's a bit selfish to expect them to go without silverware so he can prove the world wrong and feed his ego. That is why I think RVP should go I Wenger isn't prepared to what's needed.

Kano
07-05-2012, 04:39 PM

or maybe they go to games to support the team because they love the club and are fans? just a thought.

Ollie the Optimist
07-05-2012, 04:40 PM

except he has the best win % in the history of Arsenal managers so comapring to other managers with us, he has been exceptional.

Özim
07-05-2012, 04:53 PM
or maybe they go to games to support the team because they love the club and are fans? just a thought.
Maybe but I think blindly going to games when the board have no respect for you and only care about cashing in, all whilst paying the highest ticket prices and seeing little investment isn't the smartest thing to do, it's just encouraging the problem.

This isn't the same as supporting a small club with little resources and paying reasonable prices, it's supporting businessmen who treat you with contempt and feel they can do anything they want and get away with it, most fans show their discontent at this kind of thing.

Not winning is one thing, the way the club treats it fans is something completely different.

Özim
07-05-2012, 04:54 PM
except he has the best win % in the history of Arsenal managers so comapring to other managers with us, he has been exceptional.
Who gives a sh*t about that though, the history books won't remember win %, it's a meaningless stat if you're not achieving any success.

I don't think he's been exceptional, 7 years without a trophy rather shatters this idea, if you look at his overall record based on the time he's been here the success he's achieved is inferior to certain other managers we've had.

DJ Philosophe
07-05-2012, 05:36 PM
If 4th place is like a trophy to Wenger he will be on cloud 9 if we make 3rd!

Xhaka Can’t
07-05-2012, 06:05 PM
Maybe but I think blindly going to games when the board have no respect for you and only care about cashing in, all whilst paying the highest ticket prices and seeing little investment isn't the smartest thing to do, it's just encouraging the problem.

This isn't the same as supporting a small club with little resources and paying reasonable prices, it's supporting businessmen who treat you with contempt and feel they can do anything they want and get away with it, most fans show their discontent at this kind of thing.

Not winning is one thing, the way the club treats it fans is something completely different.

The thing is, a lot have fans have stopped or reduced their attendance at matches. These people then get replaced by others. Additionally, there is little desire amongst fans to destroy the Club.

Özim
07-05-2012, 06:18 PM
The thing is, a lot have fans have stopped or reduced their attendance at matches. These people then get replaced by others. Additionally, there is little desire amongst fans to destroy the Club.
I don't believe it would destroy the club though, perhaps give the people at the top a reality check however. In addition I don't understand why people don't demonstrate against the regime more at games, they seem to get away with murder without so much as a peep from the fans, this shouldn't be directed at the team but the board deserve criticism as does the manager.

I just despise their current attitude that they can say and do whatever they want, you can just tell from the words they come out with they don't listen to any fans concerns and at times tell them to put up and shut up.

We basically have people at the top who don't give a sh*t about the football which is a problem, they're not really fans (unlike some of the owners who buy clubs these days).

Niall_Quinn
07-05-2012, 06:35 PM
I just despise their current attitude that they can say and do whatever they want, you can just tell from the words they come out with they don't listen to any fans concerns and at times tell them to put up and shut up.

That's a nice description of the British (and global) economy in general. You name one corporation that gives a shit about you once it has your money. That's just the way it is, football has caught up with the other bullshit all around us. From price fixing energy cartels through fucked up water companies, price-rigging supermarkets that drive local business into the gutter, extortion on the railways, just keep adding to the list until everything is included. There's no customer service any more, no corporate responsibility beyond the marketing campaign. This is what happens when big money comes into football, you get a better stadium and a worse experience. The stadium's not for you and you can be replaced any time. More of the money goes into the hands of fewer people, your money buys you a whole lot less (that's after you've been taxed to death and the rest has been inflated away). Does that make it right? No way. But it's not just people who refuse to attend football matches, everyone happily takes it in the arse without a murmur so expecting Arsenal to be different is a little naive. We have endorsed this kind of corporate bullshit through decades of complacency and this is the inevitable outcome. You want to change Arsenal then you need to set your sights a lot, lot higher than getting rid of Wenger. He's the least of your worries.

Olivier's xmas twist
07-05-2012, 06:38 PM
That's a nice description of the British (and global) economy in general. You name one corporation that gives a shit about you once it has your money. That's just the way it is, football has caught up with the other bullshit all around us. From price fixing energy cartels through fucked up water companies, price-rigging supermarkets that drive local business into the gutter, extortion on the railways, just keep adding to the list until everything is included. There's no customer service any more, no corporate responsibility beyond the marketing campaign. This is what happens when big money comes into football, you get a better stadium and a worse experience. The stadium's not for you and you can be replaced any time. More of the money goes into the hands of fewer people, your money buys you a whole lot less (that's after you've been taxed to death and the rest has been inflated away). Does that make it right? No way. But it's not just people who refuse to attend football matches, everyone happily takes it in the arse without a murmur so expecting Arsenal to be different is a little naive. We have endorsed this kind of corporate bullshit through decades of complacency and this is the inevitable outcome. You want to change Arsenal then you need to set your sights a lot, lot higher than getting rid of Wenger. He's the least of your worries.

Exactamundo.

Olivier's xmas twist
07-05-2012, 06:45 PM
I don't believe it would destroy the club though, perhaps give the people at the top a reality check however. In addition I don't understand why people don't demonstrate against the regime more at games, they seem to get away with murder without so much as a peep from the fans, this shouldn't be directed at the team but the board deserve criticism as does the manager.

We basically have people at the top who don't give a sh*t about the football which is a problem, they're not really fans (unlike some of the owners who buy clubs these days).

Footballs a business these days, and anyone who thinks otherwise is deluding themselves.

No owner cares about the fans as much as they say they do, as long as the money is coming it its good. only diffrence is some oweners see Chucking around as the soloution to their problems and won't stop till they get it right.

All this Arsenal fans are being mugged of is silly, fans know what the board is about if they still go its their choice.

if a season ticket is not costly to you and your happy not to turn up to games then i doubt you care how the board spoke to you.

Xhaka Can’t
07-05-2012, 07:03 PM

I've gone to far less games this season - in fact probably the lowest amount of games since I arrived in London around 21 years ago.

But when I go, I get behind the team. I can't help it, because that is what being a fan is about.

The people at other Clubs that demonstrate against their Club generally tend to be demonstrating against Clubs that have gone or are on track to get relegated. I can't think of any fans of Clubs demonstrating against a team that has never finished lower than 4th.

I know we can and should be doing better than we are - but I doubt we will and the reason why is that Wenger only cares about the League - the Board also seem to do so - possibly for different or overlapping reasons. I think Wenger wants to win it but does not have the capability and/or resources to win it any more. The Board I believe are contento finish in a CL place to get the money.

Wenger does not care about the domestic cups - or at least cares far less about them than the League while the Board don't seem to care because that is not where the money is.

So as long as we aim to win the League without having the resources and making the investment to do it, while not caring a great deal about the cups, we are unlikely to win anything at all.

If we want to win cups, I'm pretty certain it will be at the expense of League position because of the resources we have or are willing to deploy. Some people would be happy for us to do that, others would not. Me, myself, I'm unsure - I'd love to win something, but the League is our bread and butter. I also look at Liverpool - they've won something, made the final of another cup, but their fans are not happy at all. They also have the added problem of being managed by a club legend who I reckon would otherwise have attracted fan protest such has been the appalling state of their team this season.

Niall_Quinn
07-05-2012, 07:12 PM
"When you talk to Arsenal's stadium manager, he is not competing for business with Spurs, he is competing with Islington High Street."
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/17977841

Different game now, the fan is part of a much broader profit equation.

Olivier's xmas twist
07-05-2012, 07:20 PM
. I think Wenger wants to win it but does not have the capability and/or resources to win it any more. The Board I believe are contento finish in a CL place to get the money.

Wenger does not care about the domestic cups - or at least cares far less about them than the League while the Board don't seem to care because that is not where the money is.

This is the problem as soon as the Uefa let us have 4 places in the CL we saw how the cups began to suffer and has been treated by shite by the big clubs. I mean look how poor the fa cup final was and look how the fa treat it.

Like you say AW don't care about the CC im sure he was upset to loose it last season but its not on his agenda. Same as the Fa cup.

IMO take away the 4th spot as a cl Prize and the teams that win the Fa cup get in the Cl we'd then see the board And Aw change their tune.

The reason i'm miffed At Aw was not becaue we never won the league or the Cl but we should have won the domestic cups simple as no excues.

And his attiude and his players attitude towards it has been silly and disrespectful.

Kano
07-05-2012, 08:18 PM

as i've said to you before - go to a game or two, it doesn't have to be arsenal, go anywhere and see if you actually care about the game you are watchin. analysing why a fan does what he does from online has no relation to actually being in the stadium, shouting on your team and hoping for the best.

calling for demonstrations from the internet does not make any sense and seems a far easier cop out than saying that those who pay for entertainment and to escape from the working week are just putting up with crap.

at the stadium we have given the manager and the players hell when needed, growing far more intense season on season but do you seriously think there would be a mass exodus or people turning their backs and walking out of games whilst playing? seriously, reconnect yourself to what being a fan is before you assume that those forking out every week are being too mild mannered.

Letters
08-05-2012, 09:47 AM
As mentioned above, it might hurt him at the time, but he soon seems to forget...how else can you explain what he does in the transfer market and how stubborn he is after years of failure?

Some of the decisions he's made, it has to be said, are baffling.
Is he restricted in the transfer market? He certainly is by poor commercial deals and the stadium debt, we cannot compete financially with Chelsea, ManYoo or City. But is he restricting himself further? If so, why?
Is it a principle thing? He thinks transfer fees have gone nuts and refuses to pay them? If so then I kinda agree with him but unfortunately you have to play the game these days, he's certainly playing the 'high wages' game. Sometimes to players who don't really deserve it.
Is he looking longer term? Trying to clear the stadium debt as soon as possible, trying to keep us reasonably competitive in the meantime and pushing on when we can compete better in the transfer market? Possibly. Again, I can see the sense in that but I think there's a middle ground of spending more without jepordising our future.

The first part of his spell was great that's true, but look at his overally record, I wouldn't say it's that fantastic, you can't ignore 7 years without a trophy.

No, you can't. But you can't ignore top 4 finishes every year either. You say it's not that great an achievement. Really? In an era of billionaire owners buying titles and other clubs mortgaging themselves up to the eyeballs trying to achieve it? Name me another manager who has achieved it for the length of time Wenger has. Fergie, obviously. No-one else though.

In the Graham days, as you say, only the top side qualified for the European Cup. I completely agree it should still be that way but there you go, it is what it is. And the fact that the top 4 qualify and that the money has gone nuts means that a top 4 finish is more important both financially and in terms of prestige (because you qualify for the CL) than winning a domestic Cup. Our only hope of keeping RvP is qualifying for the CL next year, something which none of us really expected us to do for much of this season. In the Graham era we could sacrifice league form for the cups, we can't afford to do that now. If anything we have to do the opposite. In the Thoroughly Enjoyable 92/93 season we won both Cups (very narrowly, both could have gone the other way and we'd have been left with nothing) but the league form was embarrassing. After a decent start it was pretty much relegation form. Awful football. We only won 15 out of 42 league games and only scored 40 goals. Thoroughly enjoyable? Really? Looking back with rose-tinted glasses at the end result of the season it was a good one but had the FA Cup gone the other way, and it could have, we'd have been left with just the league cup and an awful league season a bit like Liverpool's season this year. Fine lines.

You say his signings haven't been good but, again, top 4 finishes. Every year.
How can you achieve that with such poor players? This year we have been propped up by RvP but Wenger signed and persisted with him despite his injury record. That has paid off. You can't complain about his transfer dealings on the one hand and then deny him credit when one of his signings has a world class season.

Top 4 shouldn't be the limit of our ambitions, I agree. But it has become the number one priority for all top clubs these days. Qualifying for the CL is more important than anything. It shouldn't be like that, but that's the reality. To dismiss Wenger's achievement in doing that year on year is just going out of your way to deny him any credit for anything. We should have picked up some trophies along the way for sure, but if Wenger was as bad as you make out we'd have been in mid-table long ago and still wouldn't have picked up any silverware.

Flavs
08-05-2012, 09:59 AM
This thread smells like knobcheese, trust me i'd know