PDA

View Full Version : Szchesney, is he as good as we all thought?

server too busy!
08-05-2012, 08:22 AM
I know Szchesney has been pretty reliable and doesn't make too many mistakes. The goal against Norwich was a bad one but its not something he does often. However I've seen a pretty interesting stat that shows he has the 4th worse save per shot ratio in the league at only 64%. Hart etc are in the high 80s. With a ratio similar to Harts we would have conceded something like 10 less goals.

Letters
08-05-2012, 08:29 AM
Interesting stat but one which needs some examination. If our fairly mediocre defence is letting attackers get one on ones too often then you can't blame the 'keeper. On Saturday he made an error for the first goal, the 2nd was just bad luck and the 3rd was awful defending allowing a one on one.
Overall I think he's played well this year, I can't think of many glaring errors and he kept us in games like Liverpool away.
He may not be absolutely world class but he's good enough IMO and he's quite young, for a 'keeper. He'll get better.

Flavs
08-05-2012, 08:30 AM
You cant prove anything with stats

Syn
08-05-2012, 08:40 AM
I've read a stat which claims he has a 93% (I think?) success rate at dealing with set-pieces; higher than any other 'keeper in the league. Might've been Opta Joe that released but can't remember. I think he's fantastic. I think he's a big reason we don't struggle too much with set-pieces any more. I'm not bothered about where he ranks - certainly Hart is a better 'keeper but I wouldn't swap Chesney for anyone right now. He has got what it takes to become an Arsenal legend and I don't want us to miss out on seeing that.

KSE Comedy Club
08-05-2012, 09:22 AM
Yes, without any doubt.

Best keeper we've had for years and will only get better with age/experience.

jelgoon
08-05-2012, 09:23 AM
Hes crap. Bring back Almunia with Jens as cover.

Ernesto
08-05-2012, 09:39 AM
You cant prove anything with stats

76% of people know that.

Ernesto
08-05-2012, 09:41 AM
I've read a stat which claims he has a 93% (I think?) success rate at dealing with set-pieces; higher than any other 'keeper in the league. Might've been Opta Joe that released but can't remember. I think he's fantastic. I think he's a big reason we don't struggle too much with set-pieces any more. I'm not bothered about where he ranks - certainly Hart is a better 'keeper but I wouldn't swap Chesney for anyone right now. He has got what it takes to become an Arsenal legend and I don't want us to miss out on seeing that.

One thing, Syn, that the media won't have you believe is that Hart "punches" way more than he should catch. It used to be a common trait of foreign 'keepers, but it certainly something that Hart is guilty of. Good GK, yes, but he may come unstuck at the Euro's, methinks. There isn't THAT much between Sir Chesney and Joe Hart.

GP
08-05-2012, 10:19 AM
If Joe Hart wasn't English, he wouldn't get half the praise he does.

Flavs
08-05-2012, 10:20 AM
I know Szchesney has been pretty reliable and doesn't make too many mistakes. The goal against Norwich was a bad one but its not something he does often. However I've seen a pretty interesting stat that shows he has the 4th worse save per shot ratio in the league at only 64%. Hart etc are in the high 80s. With a ratio similar to Harts we would have conceded something like 10 less goals.

Nope he's crap

Japan Shaking All Over
08-05-2012, 10:24 AM
Best we've had for ages. . .hoping to see him get better as I do the defence in front of him. . .kicking can be a bit sus at times (?)

LDG
08-05-2012, 10:25 AM
Cracking keeper. Saved our arses numerous times this year.

Still has a lot to learn, but far rather someone who doesn't lose confidence and knows he's good, than someone who wears pink and walks a poodle lapdog.

Master Splinter
08-05-2012, 10:55 AM
The error for the Hoolahan goal is the first he's made like that. If it becomes a regular thing, it will become worrying. But it's not so far.

He had a bad day all round against Holt F.C. Everyone has them. For a young keeper, he's only had a few. Hart is perhaps a better shot-stopper than him at the moment, but in every other aspect Szczesny is better. Hart is as flappy as every other overrated keeper in the air and is the king of pushing it back out into danger.

Marc Overmars
08-05-2012, 11:42 AM
Compared to the shit we've had between the posts since Jens, Chesney is brilliant. No defending him for the poor game he had on Saturday but these things do happen to every keeper. No one is flawless and it's arguably the toughest position to play because even the slightest mistake can be punished with a goal.

Almunia and Fabianski had spells when they were literally making costly mistakes every other week. Now that was unacceptable and they were rightly panned for it, Chesney is nowhere near that bad.

Coney
08-05-2012, 11:47 AM
Every keeper makes mistakes, every keeper throws the odd wobbler. Keeper mistakes are more likely to result in a goal simply because they are the final defence. Players in midfield making mistakes don't get blamed as much, ditto strikers. So the fact that he had a cockup against Norwich does not make him a pile of shit.

I think he has great potential and if he stays and continues to develop will be among the best keepers that we have ever had.

Marc Overmars
08-05-2012, 11:51 AM
Chesney also has retards for a defence in front of him, unlike Hart.

Kano
08-05-2012, 11:59 AM
decent keeper, still got a lot to work on as the shot stopping is the least you should expect from any keeper.

also needs to cut out the bullshit pussying around the penalty area. perhaps he needs to conceded a goal that way to wake up to the fact that he does not need to fuck around like that every game

server too busy!
08-05-2012, 12:22 PM
Yeah but if we forget the error and look at the shots per save ratio only, does that not suggest he isn't that error prone but actually isn't that great at shot stopping.

Letters
08-05-2012, 12:36 PM
Yeah but if we forget the error and look at the shots per save ratio only, does that not suggest he isn't that error prone but actually isn't that great at shot stopping.
No. I explained why in my first post.

Kano
08-05-2012, 12:41 PM
Interesting stat but one which needs some examination. If our fairly mediocre defence is letting attackers get one on ones too often then you can't blame the 'keeper. On Saturday he made an error for the first goal, the 2nd was just bad luck and the 3rd was awful defending allowing a one on one.

that stat is more valid than asking "if" our defence is letting attackers get one on ones too often - that needs quantifying before you can suggest it as a comparison.

Letters
08-05-2012, 12:45 PM
that stat is more valid than asking "if" our defence is letting attackers get one on ones too often - that needs quantifying before you can suggest it as a comparison.
I'm just saying the stat needs some analysis rather than it just showing how good/bad Ches in.
I've seen him all season and generally rate him. Saturday apart he's not been throwing goals in every other week and he's kept us in plenty of games when we could have been dead and buried. IMO that's more valid than some stat.

Niall_Quinn
08-05-2012, 01:34 PM
On course to becoming one of the best, he's done remarkably well since coming in. Has a lot of confidence, something we seem to be very short of in this squad. He's also a GHEL even if he is Polish. Sounds to me like he's been very successful at helping us forget Almunia otherwise these questions wouldn't be asked at all.

Grebbo
08-05-2012, 02:23 PM
He's good but is overrated for sure.

Cost us the Norwich and Wigan games.

The stat backs up what I've been thinking about him recently: he doesn't make many saves.

Kano
08-05-2012, 02:28 PM
http://www.eplindex.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/Szczesny-Fabianski-Almunia-comparison1.jpg

Niall_Quinn
08-05-2012, 02:31 PM
That's why stats just don't work, makes Almunia look like a comparatively competent keeper which simply was never the case.

Olivier's xmas twist
08-05-2012, 04:50 PM

Yes. All keepers have bad games sometimes.

Cripps_orig
08-05-2012, 10:44 PM
Nope

Heard some people say hes the best in the league.

He isnt.

Hes decent with the prospect of becoming very good, potentially world class but he has a few too many dumbass moment for my liking. He needs competition to keep him on his toes

Olivier's xmas twist
08-05-2012, 11:06 PM
Nope

Heard some people say hes the best in the league.

He isnt.

Hes decent with the prospect of becoming very good, potentially world class but he has a few too many dumbass moment for my liking. He needs competition to keep him on his toes

Thats more to do with the dumbass defending infront of him, Chesney is on par with Hart as the best keeper in the league simple as.

Only Hart id say is better no one else.

I do agree he needs competition though, but we won't get a gppd GK who is happy being no 2.

Cripps_orig
08-05-2012, 11:13 PM
:lol:

Oh dear. These red tinted goggles must be pretty good.

fakeyank
08-05-2012, 11:18 PM
http://www.eplindex.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/Szczesny-Fabianski-Almunia-comparison1.jpg

summarize pls

Cripps_orig
08-05-2012, 11:32 PM
We concede more with Sir Chesney in the team than the other 2 clowns.

And dont forget, Sir Ches plays behind the so called best defender ever in Kos :GW: so defence cant be used as an excuse

What will GW do? Defend Sir Ches therefore admitting Kos is shit? Or defend defence and admit Sir Ches isnt that good yet?

Olivier's xmas twist
08-05-2012, 11:43 PM

Oh dear. These red tinted goggles must be pretty good.

Nout to do with that, Durham and Gough said the same thing on TS and they don't even support our club.

Any fool can see Chese is one of the best Keepers in the prem.

Olivier's xmas twist
08-05-2012, 11:47 PM
And dont forget, Sir Ches plays behind the so called best defender ever in Kos :GW: so defence cant be used as an excuse

What will GW do? Defend Sir Ches therefore admitting Kos is shit? Or defend defence and admit Sir Ches isnt that good yet?

He also played behind Merts, Johan D who we know is terrible TV 5 who by his standard has not had the best season and Santos and Gibbs who have both not had the best seasons.

I don't see how defending Ches means Kos is shit he is far from it. i might mean some defenders have not been up to scratch this season.

Merts has been woeful at times lets not forget that.

Only reason we have conceeded more with Ches has nothingto do with how bad a keeper is and more to do with how shite we are defenisively this season as a team.

Xhaka Can’t
09-05-2012, 06:18 AM

We'll pity the poor sods that live with you.

Xhaka Can’t
09-05-2012, 06:38 AM
Szchesney is easily the best keeper we've had since Lehmann. Anyone watching us regularly can see that.

However, he is over-rated by some here who I believe are confusing potential with current ability. His command of the box is excellent and compares with the best in the PL, however, his ball distribution and occasional lapses let him down - but that is something to work on.

For his age, he is superb and already compares favourably with the vast majority of his peers in the EPL. There is bucketloads of potential there, and we are lucky to have him.

Letters
09-05-2012, 06:59 AM
What will GW do?
Put you on ignore, probably.

LDG
09-05-2012, 08:32 AM

Or just look at the stats and realise that they were compiled after 13 games of the season, with 8 goals at Utd being the real skew on those figures.

And then lol at you for being stupid.

Olivier's xmas twist
09-05-2012, 08:35 AM
ACH :rose:

Dearly beloved we are gathered here today for our wum ACH.

Joker
09-05-2012, 08:49 AM
Needs to work on his distribution and sometimes takes too many risks ala Barthez. However, he's a very good shot stopper and his command of the area is excellent. He deals very well with crosses into the box as well. His judgement in terms of coming out to clear the ball is on the whole good as well, as he demonstrated when Balotelli was in on goal against us at the Emirates.

There's work to do, but he's the least of our worries right now.

Japan Shaking All Over
09-05-2012, 09:02 AM
summarize pls

looks like the nutrients chart on the back of a box of Alpen!

Japan Shaking All Over
09-05-2012, 09:04 AM
Needs to work on his distribution and sometimes takes too many risks ala Barthez. However, he's a very good shot stopper and his command of the area is excellent. He deals very well with crosses into the box as well. His judgement in terms of coming out to clear the ball is on the whole good as well, as he demonstrated when Balotelli was in on goal against us at the Emirates.

There's work to do, but he's the least of our worries right now.

this.

V-Pig
10-05-2012, 04:21 AM
Yes he is.

fakeyank
10-05-2012, 04:41 AM
He has tremendous potential and is real a character and that is something we have missed since Lehmann. Is he the top 3 keeper in the league.. nah! He is probably top 5 behind Hart, Habsi, Cech and Given. Cech has not been at his best but he hasnt had lapses of concentration like Szcesny and his ball distribution is better.

We need better defensive organization in the club. We have individually some of the best defenders in the league- Kos, Verm, Sagna, Song yet we do not have the work rate or the organization to be at the top. I am hoping Steve Bould coming in will kick some sense into the stubborn head of AW that defense is something that needs top priority in the summer. Not going to hold my breath though.. we know how good AW is at fixing blaring problems in the team.

selassie
10-05-2012, 09:26 AM
I like him. I think he's amongst the best in PL, not in top 3, but definitely top 5. He has flaws, mainly his distribution...but the potential is there for him to develop into a top class Goalkeeper, not sure about World Class.

As others have said he's our best since Jens, but to be fair we've had some absolute garbage since then.

jelgoon
10-05-2012, 09:37 AM
I agree with you about Schez. I think he will be very good as has the self confidence that goalies need ( and which Almunia clearly doesnt have). I disagree with you though about our defence.I dont think Kos and Vermalen are as good as you make out. Vermalen makes quite a few mistakes and has gone down in my estmiateion quite a bit. If we are to win the title or the CL I think we need better defenders and certainly better cover.

He has tremendous potential and is real a character and that is something we have missed since Lehmann. Is he the top 3 keeper in the league.. nah! He is probably top 5 behind Hart, Habsi, Cech and Given. Cech has not been at his best but he hasnt had lapses of concentration like Szcesny and his ball distribution is better.

We need better defensive organization in the club. We have individually some of the best defenders in the league- Kos, Verm, Sagna, Song yet we do not have the work rate or the organization to be at the top. I am hoping Steve Bould coming in will kick some sense into the stubborn head of AW that defense is something that needs top priority in the summer. Not going to hold my breath though.. we know how good AW is at fixing blaring problems in the team.

Xhaka Can’t
10-05-2012, 09:39 AM
I agree with you about Schez. I think he will be very good as has the self confidence that goalies need ( and which Almunia clearly doesnt have). I disagree with you though about our defence.I dont think Kos and Vermalen are as good as you make out. Vermalen makes quite a few mistakes and has gone down in my estmiateion quite a bit. If we are to win the title or the CL I think we need better defenders and certainly better cover.

I agree with you agreeing with fy and agree with your assessment of Vermaelen but not Koscielny.

Cripps_orig
10-05-2012, 10:47 PM
ACH :rose:

Dearly beloved we are gathered here today for our wum ACH.Died for being right?

In that case ive died loads of times

Niall_Quinn
10-05-2012, 10:48 PM
Had that been Almunia in goal this season, he'd have been ripped to pieces by fans

But it wasn't Almunia was it? So what's your point?

Cripps_orig
10-05-2012, 10:51 PM
But it wasn't Almunia was it? So what's your point?That Sdjfskfjshdny gets a free pass no matter how bad he plays?

Would like to know why he does and Almunia didnt.

Niall_Quinn
10-05-2012, 10:52 PM
That Sdjfskfjshdny gets a free pass no matter how bad he plays?

Why? What difference does it make? Almunia wasn't even playing!

Niall_Quinn
10-05-2012, 10:56 PM
Just highlighting the hypocrisy of GW

Tis all.

Almunia has a shit season and hrs vilified and rightly so

SHdsfhsdkfjdshny has one and hes called the best in the league :lol:

Almunia wasn't vilified at all this season! Not sure where you are going with this, the guy's our reserve keeper. He hasn't played a game all year that I can remember, unless you know something the rest of us don't.

Cripps_orig
10-05-2012, 10:59 PM
Almunia wasn't vilified at all this season! Not sure where you are going with this, the guy's our reserve keeper. He hasn't played a game all year that I can remember, unless you know something the rest of us don't.:blink:

You seem confused

Skhdkdsfhny has conceded more this season than Almunia has in any season when he was number one

What did you think i meant? :rolleyes:

Xhaka Can’t
10-05-2012, 11:13 PM
I don't think anyone gets a free pass - views tend to be built over a period of time.

There were periods where people here and fans in general wanted Almunia in goal - even the now it seems legendary Jens was subject to bucketloads of abuse and Almunia was brought in. Initially he was ok - never spectacular. Then he started and continued to cost the team matches - matches which we otherwise completely dominated.

Almunia should have been the finished article - a senior player, but he did not have the ability/mentality to be the keeper we needed and most could see that there was no future with him.

There is the potential for a long and fruitful future with Schezsny.

Niall_Quinn
11-05-2012, 12:04 AM
:blink:

You seem confused

Skhdkdsfhny has conceded more this season than Almunia has in any season when he was number one

What did you think i meant? :rolleyes:

You're back-peddling now and changing your argument.

Coney
11-05-2012, 08:11 AM
That Sdjfskfjshdny gets a free pass no matter how bad he plays?

He doesn't. As mentioned in more than one thread, the defence in front has not been good this season so you can't do things like simply compare the number of goals we let in, because the defence as a whole has to be considered, plus it depends on the nature of the goals. If the defence keep letting strikers get plenty of space and/or a clean run on goal, no keeper is going to be able to stop lots of goals being scored.

However, Szczesny is going to be a truly great keeper for the Arsenal if he stays. Of that, I am convinced.

Kano
11-05-2012, 08:53 AM
He doesn't. As mentioned in more than one thread, the defence in front has not been good this season so you can't do things like simply compare the number of goals we let in, because the defence as a whole has to be considered, plus it depends on the nature of the goals. If the defence keep letting strikers get plenty of space and/or a clean run on goal, no keeper is going to be able to stop lots of goals being scored.
i would say the state of the defence was just as bad, if not worse a year or more ago.

said purely in the interests of the debate of course...

Letters
11-05-2012, 09:09 AM
We look better from set pieces with Chez in goal and I don't remember many glaring mistakes in terms of goals conceded.
Just generally from watching him week in week out I feel like he's a better keeper than Almunia.

Marc Overmars
11-05-2012, 09:15 AM
Almunia was a shocking keeper.

Mistakes can happen, no one is flawless. It got to the point though where this fraud was making a fatal error at least twice a month. He must have cost us at least 10 points over the course of 2009-2011.

You feel Chesney will dust himself off and get back on the wagon right away because he's made of much stronger stuff than Almunia. That's the difference.

Niall_Quinn
11-05-2012, 09:15 AM
Ches doesn't catch the ball and throw it in his own net - that's a definite plus.