PDA

View Full Version : Steve Bould is number 2!

Flavs
08-05-2012, 08:37 AM
http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/arsenal-steve-bould-to-be-no2-to-araene-822990>

Its been all over the papers and social media all weekend, not officially announced by the club yet as I presume they will wait until Pat finishes the season before announcing he is to be replaced by the big man.

Praying he brings some of that defensive knowledge and near post corner shizzle to the current squad.

Flavs
08-05-2012, 08:41 AM
From Arseblog this morning as well

Hopefully that's something that Bouldie can bring to proceedings next season and there'll be a further addition to the coaching staff as Neil Banfield will move up from Reserve team manager to first team coach. For a long time people have said we needed to freshen up our coaching staff and, along with doing the Podolski business early, this is a further sign that our stubborn French leopard might just be changing his spots. I don't want to suggest that things have gone stale in that department, I don't know enough about the ins and outs of it plus I don't want to sound disrespectful to a man like Pat Rice who I admire greatly, but a couple of fresh faces and voices on the training ground every day might just be what we need

McNamara That Ghost...
08-05-2012, 08:43 AM
Hope he has been working on his cone placing ability.

Injury Time
08-05-2012, 08:53 AM
Hope he has been working on his cone placing ability.both out with back injuries before season starts, Wenger having a number 2 in November...

Flavs
08-05-2012, 08:58 AM
Number 2 :lol:

LDG
08-05-2012, 08:58 AM
Bouldie :bow:

It's like a new signing.

Letters
08-05-2012, 09:00 AM
He's got no hair :shrug:

Flavs
08-05-2012, 09:08 AM
He's got no hair :shrug:

Ahhh we dont care

IBK
08-05-2012, 10:17 AM
I am really, really hoping that Bouldy will be allowed to have a voice by Wenger the control freak - because I have come to the conclusion that this type of change is the only thing that is going to stop the rot at AFC. A decent transfer season (both in and out) would be nice, but having seen the way our season has gone, there is something broken in Wenger's teams. As Arseblog observed, Saturday's game was a microcosm of our season. We worked hard to get ourselves back into the game, only to throw the 3 points away right at the end.

We are the antithesis of Manure. IMHO our squads are similar in terms of talent. But what will probably leave SAF just short of another title is that his teams have a winning mentality. Wenger's don't. We are over-reliant on one or two key players. Take them out of the equation and we have too many hangers on who either don't have the ability; the attitude or the cool heads to get results. We may fluke third, and could just as easily finish 5th, but either way the number of points we have dropped this season is shocking.

I don't want to bitch about our manager, but I'm afraid that our inability to push on at crucial times; our tendency to screw up and our lack of consistency is something that has to come from him. It is a common thread running through all of his teams since 2005, the personnel does not really seem to matter. There is a lack of discipline, an apparent lack of a solid game plan, a failure to heed past mistakes and work properly off the ball that we se time and time again.

So I hope that Steve Bould is given the authority to address these issues - because frankly, under Wenger, it our only hope of doing so.

Marc Overmars
08-05-2012, 11:44 AM
I hope it's a good and progressive move for the club to have a 2nd voice.

Although yeah he probably should be brushing up on his cone placing skills.

McNamara That Ghost...
08-05-2012, 11:46 AM
http://arsenalarsenal.files.wordpress.com/2011/06/rice-n-wenger.jpg

"He dropped one!"

LDG
08-05-2012, 11:54 AM
:lol:

Poor old Bouldy. No doubt he'll be the next scapegoat, two games in.

Master Splinter
08-05-2012, 12:00 PM
Eboue :bow:.

Coney
08-05-2012, 12:05 PM
Hope he has been working on his cone placing ability.

:unsure:

Niall_Quinn
08-05-2012, 01:29 PM
Good news. Hopefully his primary role will be coaching the defence and hopefully nobody else will interfere. Would like to see some appointments re: fitness, training, conditioning and the medical staff. That's an area that kills us year after year. Would also like to see a new board. Too much, too soon?

Japan Shaking All Over
08-05-2012, 03:14 PM
Yeah slightly. . . !

Lets just hope he has a set and lets everyone know he has. . .good move IMO and although his influence may not be obvious, lets pray its has the right effect

Olivier's xmas twist
08-05-2012, 04:54 PM
No problem with Bould could be a good move tbh.

fakeyank
08-05-2012, 04:58 PM
Wouldve been happier if he replaced AW as the manager. Eh, dont want to be too greedy!

DJ Philosophe
08-05-2012, 05:54 PM
It's a start...

Coney
10-05-2012, 11:57 AM
It's official now - BBC site:-

Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger confirms Steve Bould is to become his new assistant following the announcement Pat Rice's exit.

Marc Overmars
10-05-2012, 12:11 PM
Bould. :bow:

Stoke City legend.

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
10-05-2012, 02:06 PM
Anything else think Stevie Bould might be, being groomed as Wenger's successor?

Good luck to him anyhow.....new man,new ideas but someone familiar with the club's workings as first team coach....win/win for me

Olivier's xmas twist
10-05-2012, 02:08 PM
Good luck Stevie, next time we played Stoke hope he don't go easy on them.

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
10-05-2012, 02:12 PM
Anything else think Stevie Bould might be, being groomed as Wenger's successor?

Good luck to him anyhow.....new man,new ideas but someone familiar with the club's workings as first team coach....win/win for me

Although that said with what's being going on in the news, plus the rather unfortunate and spurious rumours made about Arsene....i think groomed might be the wrong choice of words.

Cripps_orig
11-05-2012, 05:43 PM
The news that Arsene Wenger has named Steve Bould as his new assistant manager at Arsenal, as the outgoing current No.2 Pat Rice edges towards retirement, will not come as a great shock to most.

While this promotion from within is certainly a viable policy, the club is simply crying out for fresh ideas and it will go down as a missed opportunity to inject some new blood into a stagnant coaching staff.

Rice is scaling back his role to a member of the scouting network safe in the knowledge that he will go down as a club legend having been involved in various different capacities at Arsenal since 1964. However, the move makes sense when you factor in that his partnership with Wenger had long since gone stale.

When Wenger arrived at Arsenal in 1996, he was the fresh blood and Rice the steady hand on the till. While far too much is often made of the fact that the Frenchman was seemingly the first manager in the entire English game to spot that chips and a pint before kick-off were bad for a footballer’s diet, he undoubtedly professionalised the ranks at the north London side.

Nevertheless, with the club now approaching their seventh anniversary without silverware, a change was not only needed but required.

Questions over Rice’s voice in the dressing room continued to be raised, and is Steve Bould simply more of the same; another yes-man?

While many may proclaim that the appointment of Bould, who has worked at the academy for 11 years, will see a measure of order brought to the back four, this twisted 2+2=5 logic simply does not make sense.

Tony Adams proved at Portsmouth that there is a huge difference between playing and coaching and, presumably, Bould had a hand in the defensive development of the likes of Johan Djourou, Phillipe Senderos and Kieran Gibbs to name a few. Hardly a ringing endorsement for future positional discipline.

The fact remains that the manager-assistant dynamic works far better when there is a vocal deputy who is willing to challenge the boss and put forward his views on certain players, tactics and formations.

Over at Manchester United for instance, Sir Alex Ferguson's best two sides in recent years have been when he has had a strong No.2 to bounce ideas off. Steve McClaren may have his doubters as a manager, but he is undeniably a bright, forward-thinking coach who is not afraid to try things.

His involvement in 1999, replacing Brian Kidd, led to the club becoming savvier away from home in Europe, securing draws against Bayern Munich and Barcelona in the Champions League group stages, another 1-1 draw at San Siro against Inter in the quarter-finals and a landmark 3-2 victory away at Juventus at the semi-final stage. This hugely tough run of fixtures led to an unprecedented treble, which is yet to be matched.

"Did Rice ever challenge Wenger's authority on any issue at the club? Is Steve Bould simply more of the same; another yes-man?"
Tactics have never been Sir Alex's strong point. He is prone to over-thinking things in an effort to not lose the game rather than going out and implementing the team's natural style in big games.

The two Champions League finals against Barcelona, where he was comfortably outmanoeuvred and out-thought by the far less experienced Pep Guardiola and the recent Manchester derby defeat against rivals Manchester City, where he bafflingly started with the unfit Ji-Sung Park over the in-form Antonio Valencia serve as prime examples.

The tactical awareness that marked Carlos Queiroz's time at the club was sorely missing. The master-class performance that United punished Barcelona with in the 2008 Champions League semi-final at Old Trafford, which saw the side run out 1-0 winners, had the Portuguese assistant's fingerprints all over it. The organisation, the fluidity and methodical approach were right on the money.

Since Queiroz’s departure at the end of that season, Sir Alex has lacked a plan to combat Barcelona's constant movement on and off the ball and the side have slowly faded away from the pinnacle of Europe’s elite. And there are more examples at other clubs.

Over at Chelsea, Steve Clarke was a key cog in the Chelsea machine under Jose Mourinho's three-year tenure. He helped organise the top flight's meanest defence, its shape, strength from set-pieces and cohesiveness were largely down to Kenny Dalglish’s current number two.

Chelsea conceded just 15 goals in 2004-05 (a Premier League record), just 22 the season after and only 24 the next. With largely the same personnel since then, the club's one-time miserly backline is simply nowhere near the same force it was once.

At Liverpool, Rafael Benitez's trusted lieutenant Pako Ayestaran has widely been credited as instrumental in the fitness of the the Spaniard’s great Valencia sides and integral in the English club's triumphs in both the Champions League and FA Cup shortly after their arrival on Merseyside, acting as a vocal advisor.

But a falling out between the pair coincided with Benitez gaining near total autonomy at Anfield and he went off the rails in his final season at the club, missing the man who acted as a brake to some of Benitez's more radical concepts.

Right through history football is littered with duos which function best when together and none were more prolific than Brian Clough and Peter Taylor. As a partnership, they conquered European football with Nottingham Forest, winning back-to-back European Cups in 1979 and 1980 until irreparable damage was made in 1982 after Taylor released a tell-all book.

Despite managing for a further 11 years without the aid of Taylor by his side, Clough won just two more league cups in a trophy-laden career and was never quite the same after his partner’s acrimonious exit.

This is not to say that Bould will be a failure at Arsenal, but the assumption that a successful player makes a successful coach is flawed.

"Wenger, perhaps more than any coach within the Premier League, needs reigning in; he needs somebody to question his all-encompassing wisdom"
Wenger's stubbornness is his greatest downfall. He places far too much trust in players patently not up to the job, has blind spots to recruitment which have led to the below-par signings of the likes of Sebastien Squillaci and Per Mertesacker, and holds an obsession to planning for the future while ignoring the present. This all needs addressing.

The Frenchman, perhaps more than any coach within the Premier League, needs reigning in; he needs somebody to question his all-encompassing wisdom. A promotion from within, especially a company man such as Bould will probably lead to the over-bearing presence of Wenger continuing to mould the club entirely in his image, with a single-minded crusade for moral superiority the main target rather than silverware.

The problems at the club are systemic. A promotion within suggests that the status quo will be upheld precisely at a time when it needs to be shaken up. An assistant manager should not merely be kept around so that you can send him out, cap in hand, to the press after an embarrassing result like Mike Phelan is at United - they have to contribute more than that.

The likes of Wenger, Sir Alex, Benitez, Mourinho and Clough are all undoubtedly geniuses in their own right, but even a genius requires a fresh perspective and a slice of healthy debate once in a while. The path well-trodden, as history dictates, does not always have to be such a lonely one.

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2896/premier-league/2012/05/11/3094064/bould-move-wenger-may-regret-decision-not-to-inject-new-blood-at-

Spot on article

Apart from calling Merts below par

McNamara That Ghost...
11-05-2012, 06:19 PM
Terrible article. No reference at all to Bould's success with the youth teams and relies on presumptions like 'working with Senderos, Djourou and Gibbs'.

Inaccurate and shit.

Coney
11-05-2012, 06:42 PM
Terrible article. No reference at all to Bould's success with the youth teams and relies on presumptions like 'working with Senderos, Djourou and Gibbs'.

Inaccurate and shit.

So the kind of thing Ach would post?

Oh! I see.

Cripps_orig
11-05-2012, 06:44 PM

Oh! I see.:rolleyes:

What success with the youth teams would this be then?

Dennis Bendtner
11-05-2012, 06:45 PM
He is currently head coach of Arsenal's U18 Academy side, whom he led to winning the Premier Academy League 2008-2009, 2009-2010 and FA Youth Cup in 2008-2009.

Winning successive titles? Winning trophies recently? He is the antithesis of the alwful Wenger. You should love him.

Cripps_orig
11-05-2012, 06:48 PM
But how many of these players have come through to the first team and done well?

Wilshere? Hes dead

And....um yeah who else?

Dennis Bendtner
11-05-2012, 06:55 PM
Success = winning trophies, not bringing youngsters through.

I'm sure you'd agree.

:pal:

Cripps_orig
11-05-2012, 06:57 PM

I'm sure you'd agree.

:pal:Not for youth teams

Whole point of them is to bring players through.

Bould is a legend no doubt but the article is spot on in saying new blood would have been better.

Whats Queiroz doing these days?

McNamara That Ghost...
11-05-2012, 06:59 PM
No that's the first team coaches jobs. It goes youth team coaches -----> reserve team coaches -----> first team coaches.

Xhaka Can’t
11-05-2012, 07:00 PM

I'm sure you'd agree.

:pal:

I agree.

He was a success and his teams had a winning mentality.

Dennis Bendtner
11-05-2012, 07:10 PM
How is Bould 'old blood' anyway? He's never even worked with the first team before. If the job was given to Primorac or Lewin or someone you might have a point. Youth development is totally separate.

I tend to find the speculation on how good assistant managers are pretty spurious. We've no idea what happens. Can only comment on obvious things like Queerosh playing a role in Ronaldo going to United. Otherwise what to know? Steve Clarke has garnered a huge rep based on little but guesswork imo.

Marc Overmars
11-05-2012, 07:19 PM
Hopefully Bould kicks Wenget's ass when he goes into WUMger mode.

Master Splinter
11-05-2012, 07:22 PM
As long as Bould instills the way of the Towel Vest, he will be a big success.

Olivier's xmas twist
11-05-2012, 07:22 PM

Oh! I see.

Olivier's xmas twist
11-05-2012, 07:25 PM
How is Bould 'old blood' anyway? He's never even worked with the first team before. If the job was given to Primorac or Lewin or someone you might have a point. Youth development is totally separate.

I tend to find the speculation on how good assistant managers are pretty spurious. We've no idea what happens. Can only comment on obvious things like Queerosh playing a role in Ronaldo going to United. Otherwise what to know? Steve Clarke has garnered a huge rep based on little but guesswork imo.

Excatly. This is a new Challenge to Bould, and im sure he'll have his own way of doing things.

Dennis Bendtner
11-05-2012, 07:26 PM
Hopefully Bould kicks Wenget's ass when he goes into WUMger mode.

Bould is definitely a ghel. If we're going by appearance it's a definite upgrade on Elton John.

Özim
11-05-2012, 07:32 PM
Can't see Bould making an ounce of difference to be honest, Wenger has known him a long time and he's probably another one who's grown to worship Wenger and his ways like all the rest of those at the club.

The youth team successes are great, but we had those before and as those prove youth team success means very litte, our double youth cup winning side produced no real 1st team players.

Do people honestly think a guy who's been at the club for that long will challenge Wenger, he's was a fantastic player but never particulary vocal, he was rather understated....like I said top player but Wenger needs someone to put him in his place and tell him some home truths about the team, tactics and players and IMO Bould won't do that.

McNamara That Ghost...
11-05-2012, 07:35 PM
Do you seriously think a new no.2 is going to come in shouting the odds and expect to be listened to by Wenger - I quote "put him in his place"? That's even more unlikely to induce change. And anyway, it's an unlikely kind of appointment to begin with.

Olivier's xmas twist
11-05-2012, 07:37 PM
Can't see Bould making an ounce of difference to be honest, Wenger has known him a long time and he's probably another one who's grown to worship Wenger and his ways like all the rest of those at the club.The youth team successes are great, but we had those before and as those prove youth team success means very litte, our double youth cup winning side produced no real 1st team players.

Do people honestly think a guy who's been at the club for that long will challenge Wenger, he's was a fantastic player but never particulary vocal, he was rather understated....like I said top player but Wenger needs someone to put him in his place and tell him some home truths about the team, tactics and players and IMO Bould won't do that.

Knowing him and working with him are too diffrent things. Its about him having a positive effect on the team that matters the most.

Wenger does need someone to put him in his place, thats what his boss is for not his assitant. Does not mean bould can't give AW ideas etc.

Özim
11-05-2012, 07:39 PM
Do you seriously think a new no.2 is going to come in shouting the odds and expect to be listened to by Wenger - I quote "put him in his place"? That's even more unlikely to induce change. And an unlikely kind of appointment to begin with.
Wenger needs putting in his place, he fails to spot things even 5 year old kids could see.

He needs someone vocal who won't just give in and listen to him all the time, someone who knows something about tactics and defending would be good...as has been said the most successful managers usually have a strong number 2 who does a lot of the hard work, Wenger isn't up to managing the squad on his own, he needs someone who can fill those huge gaps in his management armour.

Özim
11-05-2012, 07:41 PM
Knowing him and working with him are too diffrent things. Its about him having a positive effect on the team that matters the most.

Wenger does need someone to put him in his place, thats what his boss is for not his assitant. Does not mean bould can't give AW ideas etc.
Problem is Bould has been with us since 2001, 11 years of the Wenger way, I find it hard to be believe that at a club so dominated by Wenger and his ways anyone can move up and come up with new ideas and challenge his way.

Wenger is seen as some sort of god at the club, it's only players outside the club who ever seem to be able to spot his flaws and not praise him every other week.

The Wenger way is not far off being a brainwashing technique, anyone at the club seems to be under his spell.

McNamara That Ghost...
11-05-2012, 07:42 PM
Wenger needs putting in his place, he fails to spot things even 5 year old kids could see.

He needs someone vocal who won't just give in and listen to him all the time, someone who knows something about tactics and defending would be good...as has been said the most successful managers usually have a strong number 2 who does a lot of the hard work, Wenger isn't up to managing the squad on his own, he needs someone who can fill those huge gaps in his management armour.

That's not what I asked. You clearly think Wenger is stubborn, so why is he going to listen to someone that is confrontational and dismissive of him from the off? I can't see how that is a good plan.

Özim
11-05-2012, 07:46 PM
That's not what I asked. You clearly think Wenger is stubborn, so why is he going to listen to someone that is confrontational and dismissive of him from the off? I can't see how that is a good plan.
He's stubborn, but maybe someone a bit more outspoken may be able to challenge him and make him realise the errors of his ways, a lame lapdog who nods all the time and whispers a few suggestions isn't really going to work.

Would be good maybe to have seen someone more senior who is proven, someone Wenger can't question, someone who has experience of being at a successful club.

Olivier's xmas twist
11-05-2012, 07:48 PM
Problem is Bould has been with us since 2001, 11 years of the Wenger way, I find it hard to be believe that at a club so dominated by Wenger and his ways anyone can move up and come up with new ideas and challenge his way.

Wenger is seen as some sort of god at the club, it's only players outside the club who ever seem to be able to spot his flaws and not praise him every other week.The Wenger way is not far off being a brainwashing technique, anyone at the club seems to be under his spell.

Well their rival players or former players so they would. No player would insult his manager while playing under him unless they hate each other.

All this the club won't speak bad of him stuff is silly why would they Arsenal have never been like that and never will be like that.

no your point about Bold, this is a new challenge for him i doubt he'd fuck it up just to kiss Anyone Ass at the club, he'd want to prove himself to be a good Assistant manager/manager.

Im sure he'd be as Ghelish off the pitch as he was on it.

We all said how Rice was a yes man but in truth he could have been far from that we'd never ever know.

McNamara That Ghost...
11-05-2012, 07:50 PM
He's stubborn, but maybe someone a bit more outspoken may be able to challenge him and make him realise the errors of his ways, a lame lapdog who nods all the time and whispers a few suggestions isn't really going to work.

Would be good maybe to have seen someone more senior who is proven, someone Wenger can't question, someone who has experience of being at a successful club.

Like Steve McClaren maybe? "Make him realise the error of his ways". How? By saying, sorry Arsene, you're wrong? I don't buy that approach is going to work within what, a month in to the job? Calling Steve Bould by proxy a lame lapdog is incredibly disrespectful, especially from someone who has in the past bemoaned the lack of connection between player and fan in recent years and from someone who harks back to the days when Bould was playing for us.

Kano
11-05-2012, 07:53 PM

it is ridiculous that you actually believe, really and truly, that you could do better than a manager with over 15 years prem experience at the top of the game.

so you've listed the qualities needed - who would that be then?

McNamara That Ghost...
11-05-2012, 07:54 PM
Charlie, I can't think of too many that are available out of those that are valid to his claim - Queiroz is already managing elsewhere for example (Iran!).

Özim
11-05-2012, 07:59 PM
Like Steve McClaren maybe? "Make him realise the error of his ways". How? By saying, sorry Arsene, you're wrong? I don't buy that approach is going to work within what, a month in to the job? Calling Steve Bould by proxy a lame lapdog is incredibly disrespectful, especially from someone who has in the past bemoaned the lack of connection between player and fan in recent years and from someone who harks back to the days when Bould was playing for us.
By saying sorry Arsene but what you're doing isn't quite right, 7 trophyless years suggests your wrong, you need to try other things and listen to some other view opinions to try and reverse this downward spiral.

My point about Bould is that he's been surrounded and enchanted by the Wenger way for 11 years, he's hardly like to really challenge him, everyone at the club seems to think he's the 2nd coming after all.

Özim
11-05-2012, 08:03 PM
it is ridiculous that you actually believe, really and truly, that you could do better than a manager with over 15 years prem experience at the top of the game.

so you've listed the qualities needed - who would that be then?
Not really, the guy has won jack sh*t in 7 years, it's hardly a glowing reference for his supposed skill and experience.

Well personally I'd replace the manager, it's not my job to find these guys but someone like Vieira would have been good IMO...someone's who's a winner and isn't happy to settle for 4th place.

Alternatively a number 2 with a proven track record of success at clubs. Another name is Adams, may have been a sh*t manager but number 2's aren't necessarily good at being managers, just look at McClaren and Queiroz as examples.

Olivier's xmas twist
11-05-2012, 08:03 PM

Thats a good point, the connection between fans and Player will come in handy i think. Bould is a gooner at heart, and will want the team to do as well as it can. I think Bould will point out when he feels AW is wrong may not be in public but he will and he will motivate the lads too.

Olivier's xmas twist
11-05-2012, 08:05 PM
By saying sorry Arsene but what you're doing isn't quite right, 7 trophyless years suggests your wrong, you need to try other things and listen to some other view opinions to try and reverse this downward spiral.My point about Bould is that he's been surrounded and enchanted by the Wenger way for 11 years, he's hardly like to really challenge him, everyone at the club seems to think he's the 2nd coming after all.

Nope thats down to his employers not his assistant. He needs someone like Dein to tell him that and then'd listen.

McNamara That Ghost...
11-05-2012, 08:05 PM
By saying sorry Arsene but what you're doing isn't quite right, 7 trophyless years suggests your wrong, you need to try other things and listen to some other view opinions to try and reverse this downward spiral.

My point about Bould is that he's been surrounded and enchanted by the Wenger way for 11 years, he's hardly like to really challenge him, everyone at the club seems to think he's the 2nd coming after all.

This idea goes against the oft-brought up relationship between Wenger and Dein - Wenger and Dein are clearly good friends and had been before he ever joined Arsenal and yet it is said that he listened to Dein more than any other vice-chairman or person 'above' him since. With that in mind, it makes little sense to me that he would listen to someone he hasn't build a relationship with more than someone he has.

It doesn't really do you any favours accusing Steve Bould of being hypnotised by him, that's just unfair to him as a professional.

Olivier's xmas twist
11-05-2012, 08:06 PM
Charlie, I can't think of too many that are available out of those that are valid to his claim - Queiroz is already managing elsewhere for example (Iran!).

Thats because their is only a few and their already at clubs.

McNamara That Ghost...
11-05-2012, 08:15 PM
Thats because their is only a few and their already at clubs.

Indeed. And most of those No.2's go on to try to prove themselves elsewhere as a coach or manager elsewhere and thus are unlikely to accept a role coming back as a no.2 again. Granted Queiroz is the exception to this but I suppose, by the same token, he did leave Man Utd again eventually.

Özim
11-05-2012, 08:16 PM
This idea goes against the oft-brought up relationship between Wenger and Dein - Wenger and Dein are clearly good friends and had been before he ever joined Arsenal and yet it is said that he listened to Dein more than any other vice-chairman or person 'above' him since. With that in mind, it makes little sense to me that he would listen to someone he hasn't build a relationship with more than someone he has.

It doesn't really do you any favours accusing Steve Bould of being hypnotised by him, that's just unfair to him as a professional.
It's just one of those things at the club, it's not a reflection on Bould as such, just of how Wenger seems to have anyone around him enchanted by him and his ways, after 7 years of abject failure it's tiresome to hear people praising him all the time, I'm not sure 7 barren years deserves praise.

Dein is gone and sadly isn't coming back, he was a big loss, he was the visionnary the guy who made us tick, without him were a puzzle with a missing piece, I just wish PHW had been kicked out instead, the club would be so much better off for it.

Olivier's xmas twist
11-05-2012, 08:22 PM
Indeed. And most of those No.2's go on to try to prove themselves elsewhere as a coach or manager elsewhere and thus are unlikely to accept a role coming back as a no.2 again. Granted Queiroz is the exception to this but I suppose, by the same token, he did leave Man Utd again eventually.

Yep. but classic GW lets hammer Bould before he has even stepped into the job.

Olivier's xmas twist
11-05-2012, 08:24 PM
It's just one of those things at the club, it's not a reflection on Bould as such, just of how Wenger seems to have anyone around him enchanted by him and his ways, after 7 years of abject failure it's tiresome to hear people praising him all the time, I'm not sure 7 barren years deserves praise.Dein is gone and sadly isn't coming back, he was a big loss, he was the visionnary the guy who made us tick, without him were a puzzle with a missing piece, I just wish PHW had been kicked out instead, the club would be so much better off for it.

yes he derseves to be called on his failings and he does. Besides no one at the club has ever priased him for faliure or not winning a thing in 7 years so not sure why you go on like they have. They praise him for keeping us in the top 4 something diffrent.

but why do you expect those in the club to do it. no club would do that to one of its employees never ever, unless he was on the outs etc.

Arsenal have always shown support to their own before Wenger came and will after he goes.

Özim
11-05-2012, 08:36 PM
yes he derseves to be called on his failings and he does. Besides no one at the club has ever priased him for faliure or not winning a thing in 7 years so not sure why you go on like they have. They praise him for keeping us in the top 4 something diffrent.

but why do you expect those in the club to do it. no club would do that to one of its employees never ever, unless he was on the outs etc.

Arsenal have always shown support to their own before Wenger came and will after he goes.
It's ridiculous to come out and praise a manager who's failed for 7 years IMO, they should say nothing...praise should be kept for times it's deserved and he doesn't deserve it.

Noone calls him up on his failings on even brings them up, it's always "Arsene he's so great", "He's doing a wonderful job", "he's the best in the business" etc does anyone know of anyone who has failed for so long who has received this much praise, cos I sure don't.

I'd love someone to finally confront him in an interview, ask him questions everyone really wants the answers and not the usual cr*p. Maybe they vet the interviews before hand to make sure he can't be asked certain things, it's the only explanation I can think of for noone asking him some of those questions which would put him out of his comfort zone. Indeed after the AGM where awkward questions were asked the club pretty much decided to gag all those who dared to question the policies, manager and club, it's like a friggin dictatorship!

Cripps_orig
11-05-2012, 09:05 PM
Yep. but classic GW lets hammer Bould before he has even stepped into the job.Hes been in the backroom staff for ages.

He wont be doing anything different

Kano
11-05-2012, 09:17 PM
Not really, the guy has won jack sh*t in 7 years, it's hardly a glowing reference for his supposed skill and experience.

Well personally I'd replace the manager, it's not my job to find these guys but someone like Vieira would have been good IMO...someone's who's a winner and isn't happy to settle for 4th place.

Alternatively a number 2 with a proven track record of success at clubs. Another name is Adams, may have been a sh*t manager but number 2's aren't necessarily good at being managers, just look at McClaren and Queiroz as examples.

i agree about replacing the manager but that is not the debate here. do you think any idiot could roll up and maintain a clubs status near the top of the game, regardless of winning a trophy or not? from memory there have not been very many.

"a number 2 with a proven track record of success" and you suggest adams and vieira??

so let's imagine either of those are number 2 and voice an opinion different to wenger, who in turn says "no, we're doing it my way" - then what?

when you are interviewing and employing an assistant to work for and with you, do you look for someone that will compliment your work or someone to throw a spanner in the works?

Olivier's xmas twist
11-05-2012, 09:18 PM
Hes been in the backroom staff for ages.

He wont be doing anything different

Like i said Classic GW, not giving the guy a chance to prove his worth. And your wrong he has never beein involved in the 1st team so he will be doing a lot diffrent.

But lets be real had we got him from somewhere in europe people on here would still moan.

Xhaka Can’t
11-05-2012, 09:20 PM
I don't see us winning anything with Wenger as Manager. We have a team incapable of challenging for the league title, yet he does not care about the domestic cups, so that in itself does not bode well for us winning anything soon.

But, we are talking about an Assistant Manager here - who has recent experience of winning things - at least give Bould, a proven winner in every capacity at the Club a chance in his new role before we damn him to hell.

Olivier's xmas twist
11-05-2012, 09:45 PM
I don't see us winning anything with Wenger as Manager. We have a team incapable of challenging for the league title, yet he does not care about the domestic cups, so that in itself does not bode well for us winning anything soon.

But, we are talking about an Assistant Manager here - who has recent experience of winning things - at least give Bould, a proven winner in every capacity at the Club a chance in his new role before we damn him to hell.

:gp:

cricketsi
12-05-2012, 05:09 AM
It's ridiculous to come out and praise a manager who's failed for 7 years IMO, they should say nothing...praise should be kept for times it's deserved and he doesn't deserve it.Noone calls him up on his failings on even brings them up, it's always "Arsene he's so great", "He's doing a wonderful job", "he's the best in the business" etc does anyone know of anyone who has failed for so long who has received this much praise, cos I sure don't.I'd love someone to finally confront him in an interview, ask him questions everyone really wants the answers and not the usual cr*p. Maybe they vet the interviews before hand to make sure he can't be asked certain things, it's the only explanation I can think of for noone asking him some of those questions which would put him out of his comfort zone. Indeed after the AGM where awkward questions were asked the club pretty much decided to gag all those who dared to question the policies, manager and club, it's like a friggin dictatorship! People ask him the questions you suggest all the time. Normally you only see the quotes from managers, not the actual questions put to them. And I'm sure Arsene's an expert at either ignoring the questions or answering instead the question he wanted to hear, so he wouldn't be out of his comfort zone.

Niall_Quinn
12-05-2012, 08:39 AM
Arsene is so great, he's doing a wonderful job and he's the best in the business tbf.

Japan Shaking All Over
12-05-2012, 09:03 AM

As this thtead is about Bould and his recent appointment I would say that is a :goodposting:

But seeing this is GW and we look for any space to advertise our hatred for AW or damm a person before they start in their role. . .you should expect anything less

Olivier's xmas twist
12-05-2012, 09:53 AM
As this thtead is about Bould and his recent appointment I would say that is a :goodposting:

But seeing this is GW and we look for any space to advertise our hatred for AW or damm a person before they start in their role. . .you should expect anything less

Pretty much.

Olivier's xmas twist
12-05-2012, 09:57 AM
Arsene is so great, he's doing a wonderful job and he's the best in the business tbf.

Xhaka Can’t
12-05-2012, 09:58 AM
People who make posts that include, 'only on GW' or 'GW believes such and such' or 'typical GW view' are just being lazy. If you want to call someone out on a view do it - but don't call the Board out on a view.

GW does not have a view - it is a platform for people to express their views.

Coney
12-05-2012, 10:51 AM
People who make posts that include, 'only on GW' or 'GW believes such and such' or 'typical GW view' are just being lazy. If you want to call someone out on a view do it - but don't call the Board out on a view.

GW does not have a view - it is a platform for people to express their views.

That's just the typical kind of post you'd expect from an ex-GW mod.

Cripps_orig
24-05-2012, 10:46 PM
Arsenal's newly appointed assistant manager Steve Bould is relishing the opportunity to work with the first team after his promotion from youth team head coach, and admitted that he has some big shoes to fill.

Pat Rice's retirement has forced Arsene Wenger to reshuffle his coaching staff, a move which also seen Neil Banfield promoted from the reserve team manager to first team coach.

Rice first joined Arsenal as a 17-year-old in 1966 before becoming a coach at the club in 1984 until retiring at the end of last season.
Arsenal

Bould told the club's official website: "I know I have some big boots to fill with Pat having spent 44 years at the club and that is going to be the hard part.

"It is more than excitement, it is an absolute privilege and an honour.

"I will be learning on the job a little bit but myself and Neil Banfield are more than excited."

Wenger feels it is essential to have people around the club who value the identity of Arsenal.

The 49-year-old spent 11 years at Arsenal between 1988 and 1999, making 372 appearances for The Gunners, and won the league three times and the FA Cup twice. Banfield has been a coach at the club for the last 15 years, something which the manager admires.

Wenger said: "I have always felt it is important to have people around who understand what this great club is all about.

"With Steve and Neil joining the first-team staff, it ensures we carry forward our traditions and approach in a consistent way."

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2896/premier-league/2012/05/24/3125059/arsenal-assistant-manager-bould-ive-got-some-big-shoes-to

Basically saying nothing will change

Ollie the Optimist
24-05-2012, 11:53 PM
http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2896/premier-league/2012/05/24/3125059/arsenal-assistant-manager-bould-ive-got-some-big-shoes-to

Basically saying nothing will change

one day you will post something thats relevant to this board

Cripps_orig
24-05-2012, 11:57 PM
one day you will post something thats relevant to this boardBeen right about Arsenal for the last 2 years whilst you have been proved wrong time and time again

Id say thats relevant

Cripps_orig
30-05-2012, 11:51 PM
Arsenal assistant manager Steve Bould is pleased that the club's youngsters continue to receive first-team opportunities in the League Cup.

Arsene Wenger has used the competition in recent seasons as a platform for academy players to prove their worth alongside established regulars in the Gunners set-up.

Although they were only able to reach the quarter-finals before losing to Manchester City 1-0 at the Emirates last season, Bould, the club's former Under-18s boss, believes the League Cup is the perfect platform to blood the north London side's younger talent.

"I am delighted," he told Arsenal Player.

"[The young players] are a little bit disappointed they didn't go a little bit further but to have that many numbers involved is a credit to the whole academy and the system that Liam Brady has put in place.

"It is a measure that our manager still uses to look at our young kids and wants them to come through. It's a fabulous experience for them and long may that continue.

"I know there are calls to win the trophy and of course that is major at first-team level because it's what you are judged on. But I think for us that is the perfect competition to blood our kids.

"Lots go out on loan and for whatever reason don't play enough games, so I think it is the perfect grounding for them."

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2920/league-cup/2012/05/30/3137825/bould-league-cup-perfect-chance-for-arsenal-youngsters

Steve Boulds name but Wengers words

Master Splinter
31-05-2012, 05:35 AM
Arsenal assistant manager Steve Bould is pleased that the club's youngsters continue to receive first-team opportunities in the League Cup.

Arsene Wenger has used the competition in recent seasons as a platform for academy players to prove their worth alongside established regulars in the Gunners set-up.

Although they were only able to reach the quarter-finals before losing to Manchester City 1-0 at the Emirates last season, Bould, the club's former Under-18s boss, believes the League Cup is the perfect platform to blood the north London side's younger talent.

"I must say, we are delighted," he told Arsenal Player.

"As well you know, [The young players] are little bit disappointed they did not go little bit further but to have that many numbers involved is a credit to the whole academy and the system that Liam Brady has put in place. It is normally 50:50 with young players potentially breaking through, but I believe we have a special group. You could say it is now 68:33.

"It is a measure that our manager still uses to look at our young kids and wants them to come through if they have remarkable spirit and exceptional intelligence. It is a fabulous experience for them and long may that continue.

"Yes, of course there are calls to win the trophy and of course that is major at first-team level because it is as well you know what you are judged on. But we believe for us that is the perfect competition to blood our kids.

"Do not forget also lots go out on loan and they do not play enough games of a required quality, so I think it is the perfect grounding for them."

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2920/league-cup/2012/05/30/3137825/bould-league-cup-perfect-chance-for-arsenal-youngsters (http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2920/league-cup/2012/05/30/3137825/bould-league-cup-perfect-chance-for-arsenal-youngsters)

Steve Boulds name but Wengers words

He has learnt well.

The Verminator
31-05-2012, 06:44 AM
68:33??