PDA

View Full Version : Pat Rice - Legend

LDG
10-05-2012, 11:27 AM
http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archive/rice-to-leave-arsenal-after-44-years-at-club

Arsenal Assistant Manager Pat Rice is to leave the Club at the end of the season after a 44-year association with the Gunners.

Rice has a rich history with Arsenal Football Club, having first joined as a youth team player back in 1964. A Northern Ireland international right-back, he was a ‘double’ winner in 1971 and captained the side to FA Cup glory in 1979. In total, Rice made 528 appearances for Arsenal across 14 seasons.

After a spell with Watford between 1980 - 1984, Rice returned to Arsenal as a Youth Team Coach, winning two FA Youth Cups in 1988 and 1994. He took up a senior coaching role when Arsène Wenger joined in 1996.

As Assistant Manager, Rice, 63, has been Arsène Wenger’s right-hand man, helping to guide the Club to seven major honours - three Premier League titles and four FA Cups, including two ‘doubles’ in 1998 and 2002.

Arsène Wenger said: “Pat is a true Arsenal legend and has committed almost his whole life to Arsenal Football Club, which shows huge loyalty and devotion to this Club.

“Pat has been amazing for me over the past 16 years. When I first arrived at Arsenal, Pat was always there and taught me so much about this great club. I will always be indebted to him for his expert insight into Arsenal and football as a whole. On the training pitches and on matchdays, Pat has always been a passionate, loyal and insightful colleague, who we will all miss.

“Thank you Pat, we’ll miss you and all of us wish you and your family the best of health and happiness for the future. Although, we’ll still see Pat a lot, as I know he’s planning to come to all the home matches as a supporter!”

Pat, whose last match as Assistant Manager will be this Sunday against West Brom, last night enjoyed a farewell barbeque with Wenger and the first team squad.

An announcement on his successor will be made in due course.

Pat :bow:

Sunglasses :bow:

Cones :bow:

Shorts :bow:

:patrice: :bow:

Coney
10-05-2012, 11:48 AM
He was in every match I saw in the 70s before I went to Germany. Always a reliable FB. Used to cover the right of the pitch with George 'Geordie' Armstrong, overlapping to put in the odd cross for the big lads (Radford/Kennedy/Stroller*) to head in. Great days.

* Stroller, for you young whipper-snappers, was the nickname for one George Graham, who would seem to take his time on the left wing, waiting for the right moment to chip the ball in to the middle.

Marc Overmars
10-05-2012, 11:55 AM
44 years of service. Unbelievable Jeff.

Pat. :bow:

McNamara That Ghost...
10-05-2012, 11:58 AM
http://i46.tinypic.com/2941o4x.png

Nobody does it better. :bow:

Seriously though, thanks Pat for all of the service. Enjoy the retirement. :scarf:

Olivier's xmas twist
10-05-2012, 12:16 PM
Thanks for all the mems pat true legend you are.

:bow: Pat Rice.

Flavs
10-05-2012, 12:17 PM
Wull.........ba

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
10-05-2012, 02:02 PM
Whatever Arsene Wenger has achieved at Arsenal, you must feel that as assistant Pat Rice is also responsible....Pat was instrumental in the acclimatization of AW into the club and into English football. A long term servant of the club both as player and as member of staff, goodbye.....thanks for everything you've done......and I hope every away fan going to the Hawthorns on Sunday gives you the send off you deserve.

Cheers Pat!.....your an Arsenal legend!...enjoy your retirement!

Ralpheroo72
10-05-2012, 02:17 PM
Bugger all posts here. The man served our club for 44 years, he aint no chav, he is the real 'Mr Arsenal'! Thank you for everything Mr Sir Pat Rice!

Coney
10-05-2012, 03:09 PM
Pat. :rose:

GP
10-05-2012, 03:24 PM
Bugger all posts here. The man served our club for 44 years, he aint no chav, he is the real 'Mr Arsenal'! Thank you for everything Mr Sir Pat Rice!

Pfft, I've followed Arsenal's entire history (1996-present) and I never saw him play.

Xhaka Can’t
10-05-2012, 04:46 PM
Pat Rice has been there for everything Arsenal has achieved during my lifetime. He has worked for the Club without seeking fanfare and he clearly loves the Club. Hope he has a long and happy retirement.

Cripps_orig
10-05-2012, 10:30 PM
ty

Coney
12-05-2012, 11:21 AM
http://arseblog.com/2012/05/pat-rice...-arsecast-241/

And there are some lovely tributes from some of the players and staff across the years here. I particularly like Tomas Rosicky’s:

Hi Pat, I am very sad to see you go. Every morning I will miss that 10 minutes before training starts when you come into the dressing room and shout at us!

:lol:

Özim
12-05-2012, 05:02 PM
A loyal servant to the club, wish him well.

It's not his fault he has to work with one of the most stubborn deluded managers, what can he do about the team when the manager listens to noone.

Olivier's xmas twist
12-05-2012, 07:12 PM
A loyal servant to the club, wish him well.

It's not his fault he has to work with one of the most stubborn deluded managers, what can he do about the team when the manager listens to noone.

Did not read the above post then.