PDA

View Full Version : 16 straight seasons in the champions league

gunnerrrrr
19-05-2012, 10:25 PM
And never won fuck all....is this really a record to boast about?

Not trying to be a wind up but interested in opinions.

AKBapologist
19-05-2012, 10:30 PM
Would you rather do a liverpool and win it and not win anything for 6 years?

KSE Comedy Club
19-05-2012, 10:31 PM
Would you rather do a liverpool and win it and not win anything for 6 years?Weve already gone better.

Never won it and haven't won anything for 7 years.

So I don't see your point :shrug:

Marc Overmars
19-05-2012, 10:33 PM
Wenger is a ****.

AKBapologist
19-05-2012, 10:34 PM
Weve already gone better.

Never won it and haven't won anything for 7 years.

So I don't see your point :shrug:
So you'd rather we'd be in Liverpools position right now, all things considered?

Xhaka Can’t
19-05-2012, 10:35 PM
So you'd rather we'd be in Liverpools position right now, all things considered?

I'd rather be a fan of synchronised swimming than the way I feel now.

Munchies
19-05-2012, 10:40 PM
Wenger is a ****.

Actually laughed at this one haha

KSE Comedy Club
19-05-2012, 10:41 PM
So you'd rather we'd be in Liverpools position right now, all things considered?Fuck no.

But still, pool at least won the CL.

Weve won nothing.

I would take winning it then winning other trophies in the following years. Fed up of these 'this or that' questions.

AKBapologist
19-05-2012, 10:45 PM
Fuck no.

But still, pool at least won the CL.

Weve won nothing.

I would take winning it then winning other trophies in the following years. Fed up of these 'this or that' questions.
Which teams have consistently won stuff year after year apart from united?

Marc Overmars
19-05-2012, 10:46 PM
Razor blades are out.

The blood is pouring.

KSE Comedy Club
19-05-2012, 10:49 PM
Which teams have consistently won stuff year after year apart from united?Who cares?

If utd can do it then so should other clubs be able to.

Fuck, we would have been winning things still if the club did what was needed in the transfer market each year.

Munchies
Razor blades are out.

The blood is pouring.

Which moment of the 03/04 season made you do that ? losing to chelsea in the champions league ? ... :upset:

Master Splinter
Razor blades are out.

The blood is pouring.

Don't forget your face.

It deserves it.

Olivier's xmas twist
19-05-2012, 10:53 PM
Don't forget your face.

It deserves it.

:lol:

AKBapologist
19-05-2012, 10:57 PM
Who cares?

If utd can do it then so should other clubs be able to.

Fuck, we would have been winning things still if the club did what was needed in the transfer market each year.
Building the stadium was our attempt on building on that success (fan base, money etc)

Unfortunately, the game changed and made the small gains we got in the short term from the move meaningless.

Grebbo
19-05-2012, 10:58 PM
It's better to be lucky than good.

Cripps_orig
19-05-2012, 11:00 PM
Its a nothing achievement if it even can be called an achievement.

When you do f all in said tournament in those years, it means f all.

Just 2 semi final appearances in those 16 years is diabolical.

AKBapologist
19-05-2012, 11:02 PM
Its a nothing achievement if it even can be called an achievement.

When you do f all in said tournament in those years, it means f all.

Just 2 semi final appearances in those 16 years is diabolical.
Weren't we in a CL final once? Our keeper (incorrectly) sent off, Sol Campbel scoring before being mugged off by Eto? Maybe just my imagination.

Cripps_orig
19-05-2012, 11:05 PM
Weren't we in a CL final once? Our keeper (incorrectly) sent off, Sol Campbel scoring before being mugged off by Eto? Maybe just my imagination.Yes

That counts as one of the semi final appearances....

And Lehmann deserved to be sent off

Marc Overmars
19-05-2012, 11:06 PM
He's right.

Wenget's record in the CL is fairly average considering how he likes to boast about always being in it. After 15 years he should have cracked it by now.

Wenget is a ****.

RDM in.

Cripps_orig
19-05-2012, 11:11 PM
No tactical nous.

We play one way and one way only.

And if that way fails, we continue to play it.

Wengers weakness, well one of them is that he has too much belief in his squad of players to come good so that he doesnt concentrate on the oppositions weaknesses and how to exploit them or their strengths and how to counter it.

He fully believes that if we play our way then we will succeed. Worked domestically til 2005 but never in Europe

jelgoon
19-05-2012, 11:12 PM
We'll never win the CL under Wenger - forget it. We're too weak mentally. We would have missed all our penalties tonight. The days of strong characters like Vieira, Henry, Campbell and well over.

Syn
19-05-2012, 11:14 PM
For some reason, even though I think we are lacking little bit mental strength and desire, I think we would've stuck the pens away tonight. Or any other night.

Anyway - irrelevant musing.

Cripps_orig
19-05-2012, 11:14 PM
Tbf, we werent much better in the CL with them in the team as well

AKBapologist
19-05-2012, 11:27 PM
No tactical nous.

We play one way and one way only.

And if that way fails, we continue to play it.

Wengers weakness, well one of them is that he has too much belief in his squad of players to come good so that he doesnt concentrate on the oppositions weaknesses and how to exploit them or their strengths and how to counter it.

He fully believes that if we play our way then we will succeed. Worked domestically til 2005 but never in Europe

But when he goes ultra deffensive he gets panned.

Where we get RVP sent off for no reason,chavs get messi missing a pen. Says it all really.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Niall_Quinn
19-05-2012, 11:31 PM
We're in it and if tonight's game (and in fact Chelsea's entire CL campaign) tell us anything it tells us we can win it even if by sheer fluke. If Barca had finished like Bayern in our final we've have a CL win under our belts now. We didn't get embarrassed in that match like the chavs were embarrassed tonight. Very slender margins can make all the difference as well as outrageous fortune.

jelgoon
19-05-2012, 11:44 PM
Well we were pretty much outclassed in Paris albeit cos we had ten men for most of the game. DOnt think we played much better in Paris than Chelsea did tonight to be fair.

We're in it and if tonight's game (and in fact Chelsea's entire CL campaign) tell us anything it tells us we can win it even if by sheer fluke. If Barca had finished like Bayern in our final we've have a CL win under our belts now. We didn't get embarrassed in that match like the chavs were embarrassed tonight. Very slender margins can make all the difference as well as outrageous fortune.

Syn
19-05-2012, 11:45 PM
Of course it's very fine margins and a lot of luck. But where Chelsea had Drogba netting their only chance in the 90th minute to stay alive, we had Bendtner. As has been the case for a long time - 2 or 3 players at the Arteta/Podolski level on top of what we have...that's it. That'll do it. £35m - that's probably our price for success. It's maddening we aren't taking that final step.

Xhaka Can’t
19-05-2012, 11:46 PM
Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Good point, well made.

Olivier's xmas twist
19-05-2012, 11:47 PM
Well we were pretty much outclassed in Paris albeit cos we had ten men for most of the game. DOnt think we played much better in Paris than Chelsea did tonight to be fair.

But at least the final was good to watch tbf this was rubbish for what it was. The Europa league final shat all over that one.

And we played with 10 men Chavs had 11 so they had no excuse not to be out classed.

Olivier's xmas twist
19-05-2012, 11:50 PM
Of course it's very fine margins and a lot of luck. But where Chelsea had Drogba netting their only chance in the 90th minute to stay alive, we had Bendtner. As has been the case for a long time - 2 or 3 players at the Arteta/Podolski level on top of what we have...that's it. That'll do it. £35m - that's probably our price for success. It's maddening we aren't taking that final step.

TBF in 06 final Henry had 2 good one on ones he messed up, had he scored them we'd be champs. but Like everything else that was Wengers fault he told him to miss them tbh.

Cripps_orig
19-05-2012, 11:53 PM
TBF in 04 final Henry had 2 good one on ones he messed up, had he scored them we'd be champs. but Like everything else that was Wengers fault he told him to miss them tbh.He bought the player

He takes responsibilty.

Or does he only take responsibility for when players play good?

Master Splinter
19-05-2012, 11:54 PM
Henry and Ljunberg were as bad in Paris as Robben and Crispin Glover were tonight.

McNamara That Ghost...
19-05-2012, 11:56 PM
Freddie was great, he ran a lot and we know that's a desirable trait. Probably the only guy that stopped us getting overwhelmed in the second half.

Xhaka Can’t
19-05-2012, 11:56 PM
Henry and Ljunberg were as bad in Paris as Robben and Crispin Glover were tonight.

Ljungberg was fucking awesome that night.

Cripps_orig
19-05-2012, 11:57 PM
Freddie was our best player that night imo

Closely followed by Pires and then Lehmann

Olivier's xmas twist
19-05-2012, 11:58 PM
He bought the player

He takes responsibilty.

Or does he only take responsibility for when players play good?

Bit of a silly post as you know how good Henry was.

Cripps_orig
20-05-2012, 12:00 AM
Bit of a silly post as you know how good Henry was.And Wenger takes enough credit for that.

Master Splinter
20-05-2012, 12:01 AM
Freddie missed some good chances, despite his running.

We created more that night than we have against Barcelona since.

Olivier's xmas twist
20-05-2012, 12:02 AM
And Wenger takes enough credit for that.

Well rightly so. Its not Wenger' s Fault Henry missed to easy one on ones. Just like its not the Bayers Coach is Fault Robben and Gomez were woeful tonight and Ribery to an extent.

Xhaka Can’t
20-05-2012, 12:03 AM
Ljungberg was first class that night.

Olivier's xmas twist
20-05-2012, 12:04 AM
Ljungberg was first class that night.

Yes he was.

Cripps_orig
20-05-2012, 12:05 AM
Tbf the chance Henry had in the first few minutes, you can forgive him for not scoring that.

The 2nd one, through one on one with Valdes, a position he had scored from for us fuck knows how many times for him to then only pass back to Valdes was shocking

-Xs-
20-05-2012, 12:15 AM
Didnt Wenger change the wining team for the final in the champs league by replacing an in form Reyes, with an out of form Pires?

I'm not one to bash him, but he does make a lot of tactical mistakes. Debateable how much it costs us - is it his inepitude or the teams or both.

Olivier's xmas twist
20-05-2012, 12:18 AM
Didnt Wenger change the wining team for the final in the champs league by replacing an in form Reyes, with an out of form Pires?

I'm not one to bash him, but he does make a lot of tactical mistakes. Debateable how much it costs us - is it his inepitude or the teams or both.

No it was Cashley that got put it for Flamini.

Cripps_orig
20-05-2012, 12:20 AM

I'm not one to bash him, but he does make a lot of tactical mistakes. Debateable how much it costs us - is it his inepitude or the teams or both.Yup he sure did

Xhaka Can’t
20-05-2012, 12:38 AM
No it was Cashley that got put it for Flamini.

yep

Tipsychubbs
20-05-2012, 12:51 AM
Freddie missed some good chances, despite his running.

We created more that night than we have against Barcelona since.

I thought we did a decent job with the 10 men. Defended for our lives and still had attacking outlets to give Barca some scares. Chelsea's approach today from the start, with 11 men, was just to park the bus, and then create a spammy goal out of nothing. And it worked :sulk:

jelgoon
20-05-2012, 02:24 AM
Henry missed that late chance cos he was completely knackered. He had been playing upfront on his own and, as we had ten men, it was tought out there. I was sitting right close to where he got that ball near the end. He could hardly walk . If that ball had come to him in the first hour he would have put it away.

Tbf the chance Henry had in the first few minutes, you can forgive him for not scoring that.

The 2nd one, through one on one with Valdes, a position he had scored from for us fuck knows how many times for him to then only pass back to Valdes was shocking

jelgoon
20-05-2012, 02:27 AM
I think Chelsea were shit tonight - arguably the worst team for ages to win the Champions League. All they did was defend as they did against Barca. Having said that, I felt we were totally outplayed in a similiar way by Barca in the final . I was there and always felt the Barca goals would come. The difference between the two matches is that we had ten men for virtually all of the game whilst Chelsea had 11.

If
I thought we did a decent job with the 10 men. Defended for our lives and still had attacking outlets to give Barca some scares. Chelsea's approach today from the start, with 11 men, was just to park the bus, and then create a spammy goal out of nothing. And it worked :sulk:

jelgoon
20-05-2012, 02:29 AM
Nope. Im sick of the CL and still dont think we'll ever win it. Would much prefer us to concentrate on winning the FA Cup.

Özim
20-05-2012, 12:15 PM
Wenger's record in Europe is very average, in all his time he's failed to have any success. We can put that down to being tactically poor and expecting his team to win by playing their football, does he seriously think you can just go out and play your game and beat everyone without ever having to adapt to the opposition?

I think you make your own luck to some extent, we'd never do what Chelsea did, simple reason is we don't have the belief and that put everything on the line attitude about us, Chelsea were outplayed but you just always felt they could come back and score. Cole was absoultely immense incidentally, 5 million and Gallas really was daylight robbery in the end.

So yes they were "lucky" but the "lucky teams, just like Graham's teams of the past are lucky for a reason, they are tactically astute, organised, play for each other and give 100% for the cause...these are the teams that get lucky.

They got the rub of the green for sure, but you still have to take advantage of that and in the end they did, just like Man U in 99 and Porto when Mourinho managed them.

jelgoon
20-05-2012, 01:07 PM
I agree. Good post ( I can find the icon anymore!). Chelsea may be boring as shit but we would not have defended like that against Barca and Bayern and come through. Someone would have fucked up and we would have conceded in the last minute.Wenger has been very poor in Europe (you are generous in saying that he has been very average). We have easily been the poorest of the main English sides ( ie disregarding the Spuds, Everton and Man City who only appeared once) who have appeared in the CL over the years - Man utd, Chelsea and Liverpool have all won it and appeared in more than one final.

Wenger's record in Europe is very average, in all his time he's failed to have any success. We can put that down to being tactically poor and expecting his team to win by playing their football, does he seriously think you can just go out and play your game and beat everyone without ever having to adapt to the opposition?

I think you make your own luck to some extent, we'd never do what Chelsea did, simple reason is we don't have the belief and that put everything on the line attitude about us, Chelsea were outplayed but you just always felt they could come back and score. Cole was absoultely immense incidentally, 5 million and Gallas really was daylight robbery in the end.

So yes they were "lucky" but the "lucky teams, just like Graham's teams of the past are lucky for a reason, they are tactically astute, organised, play for each other and give 100% for the cause...these are the teams that get lucky.

They got the rub of the green for sure, but you still have to take advantage of that and in the end they did, just like Man U in 99 and Porto when Mourinho managed them.

Olivier's xmas twist
20-05-2012, 02:24 PM

Boring Boring final regardless don't mind them winning it had they delivered more but they never not their thought Bayern were woeful though.

Özim
20-05-2012, 02:46 PM
Boring Boring final regardless don't mind them winning it had they delivered more but they never not their thought Bayern were woeful though.
Thought it was a entertaining final to be honest, Bayern played well enough but there was quite a lot of drama at all.

Just because you're a sore loser and didn't like the outcome doesn't make it a bad final. Chelsea won it get over it, I'm not thrilled about it but that's life, my interest in football has got nothing to do with what other teams do and do not win.

Olivier's xmas twist
20-05-2012, 02:48 PM
Thought it was a entertaining final to be honest, Bayern played well enough but there was quite a lot of drama at all.

Just because you're a sore loser and didn't like the outcome doesn't make it a bad final. Chelsea won it get over it, I'm not thrilled about it but that's life, my interest in football has got nothing to do with what other teams do and do not win.

You don't know why thoughts so please don't tell me my feelings etc. I not too upset they won it i was happy for a few of their players. But i won't say they deserve to win it when they did not.

Or won't suck their dick when people say they are the best team in the world. Not jealous at all.

The Europa league final was much better thats tells you how good it was.

Özim
20-05-2012, 02:53 PM
You such a dick. you don't know why thoughts so please don't tell me my feelings etc. I not too upset they won it i was happy for a few of their players. But i won't say they deserve to win it when they did not.

Or won't suck their dick when people say they are the best team in the world. Not jealous at all.

The Europa league final was much better thats tells you how good it was.
I saw your comments yesterday, totally ridiculous is all I can say, talk about someone going over the top, that's enough for me to conclude you hated watching them winning rather than us. Most people do but they don't go off on a rant like you did.

Matter of opinion, I thought the CL final was enthralling, certainly was a lot of tension, Europa league was also very one-sided but there was no tension as Athletico wrapped it up before half time.

Olivier's xmas twist
20-05-2012, 03:00 PM
I saw your comments yesterday, totally ridiculous is all I can say, talk about someone going over the top, that's enough for me to conclude you hated watching them winning rather than us. Most people do but they don't go off on a rant like you did.

Matter of opinion, I thought the CL final was enthralling, certainly was a lot of tension, Europa league was also very one-sided but there was no tension as Athletico wrapped it up before half time.

I know no more over the top then Letters all the rest i did not see none of them complaining about it or calling me Jealous did not see you calling them jealous or is it just me you think you can bully.

Özim
20-05-2012, 03:02 PM
I know no more over the top then Letters all the rest i did not see none of them complaining about it or calling me Jealous did not see you calling them jealous or is it just me you think you can bully.
Is that right, so you weren't pretty much swearing in every other post, making comments about how the game is ruined and how it's all about money etc?

I'm not bullying anyone, but you're one of the people who becomes totally irrational in certain situations, there's a few others too, thing is those people didn't keep throwing insults around afterwards, something you chose to do.

Letters
20-05-2012, 03:04 PM
Can we please cut out the personal insults.

Olivier's xmas twist
20-05-2012, 03:53 PM
Is that right, so you weren't pretty much swearing in every other post, making comments about how the game is ruined and how it's all about money etc?

I'm not bullying anyone, but you're one of the people who becomes totally irrational in certain situations, there's a few others too, thing is those people didn't keep throwing insults around afterwards, something you chose to do.

Can't remember and if i did then i apologise but i never offended any user on here with it. I don't think i was over the top then most if i appeared that way then i Apologise.

Im not bitter and im not upset about the chavs winning even if the thread said so, it was just banter thats all.

Got load of Chelsea friends so was happy for them.

If i was rude to you i apologise.

Özim
20-05-2012, 04:23 PM
Ok thanks that's fine, appreciated that, let's put it behind us.

Olivier's xmas twist
20-05-2012, 04:41 PM

Fair play.

Olivier's xmas twist
20-05-2012, 04:42 PM

Lets hope this Motivates the Board and Wenger and the Players to do whatever to win it next season then.

It would be bad if spuds won it before us now.

Xhaka Can’t
20-05-2012, 04:46 PM

nm.

Coney
20-05-2012, 07:52 PM

Fair play.

Get a room.

Master Splinter
20-05-2012, 07:56 PM
Get a room.

Old perv.

Coney
20-05-2012, 08:03 PM
##