PDA

View Full Version : Spuds Fans Imploding

The Verminator
20-05-2012, 03:52 AM
Thought it might be interesting to see how Spurs fans were feeling after their Champions League exit...I was not wrong! :D

Go there yourself for a good giggle but this one was particularly pleasing:

I'm sorry to say it, but I think I'm done with this altogether. I'm going to wash my hands of football. Believe me, this is not a decision to take lightly, I've been a Spurs fan since I could walk and it's been the most consistent love throughout my entire life. Tonight, however, was the fatal blow. I can't accept that something out of my control can cause me this much pain, and I feel stupid talking like this about a fucking sport. A sport which is corrupt to the core and based purely around the financial strength of the companies (yes companies, not teams) which take part. There's something about Spurs which is just destined to be tragic as well, I can't think of a club which has had to go through things like lasagnegate and tonight. I don't know what it is about Spurs, but we're destined to be dicked on and trampled in the ground no matter what. And believe me, Modric and Bale don't feel any of this that we're feeling. They're on to their agents right now trying to jump ship. What's the point. Anyway, I'm going to Wembley tomorrow with my brother who's a Luton fan and we're going to watch a proper game of football played by proper teams, and I'm thinking I might just become a Luton fan if I can't shake football altogether.

LOL Spurs

Letters
20-05-2012, 07:21 AM
I know how he feels.

Football used to be a sport. It used to be fun. There are still moments when it's like that but not that often these days in an era when billionaires can buy clubs and blunder their way to trophies by sheer force of money.

I'm pretty much done with football too. I go to Arsenal because dad wants to and it's pretty much the backbone of our relationship but I pretty much never watch non-Arsenal games these days. The whole 'sport' is rotten to the core.

Xhaka Can’t
20-05-2012, 07:24 AM
I know how he feels.

Football used to be a sport. It used to be fun. There are still moments when it's like that but not that often these days in an era when billionaires can buy clubs and blunder their way to trophies by sheer force of money.

I'm pretty much done with football too. I go to Arsenal because dad wants to and it's pretty much the backbone of our relationship but I pretty much never watch non-Arsenal games these days. The whole 'sport' is rotten to the core.

I agree completely with this.

Next year we'll be watching the Mancs 'win' it.

It really is saying something that I can't take comfort from Spurs pain.

Ernesto
20-05-2012, 07:26 AM
I feel for Spurs, genuinely.

As someone once said on here, Chelsea suck c*ck.

Grebbo
20-05-2012, 08:11 AM
Spurs fans are bellends but you gotta feel a bit for them.

Thank fuck West Brom's keeper was utter turd or I'd be feeling shit right now.

Letters
20-05-2012, 08:32 AM
I think I'm going to unsubscribe from Sky Sports. I rarely watch it, Arsenal away games apart, and while I subscribe I'm complicit in all this.

:ilt:

fakeyank
20-05-2012, 08:39 AM
Seeing the spurs fans distressed gives so much joy! Highlight of our season tbh..

Cripps_orig
20-05-2012, 08:42 AM
Its the only thing i have focused on since i got home last night.

I refuse to acknowledge the Moneys CL win/purchase in any way, shape or form

I have just been laughing at the Spuds. What else can one do?

Letters
20-05-2012, 08:44 AM
Seeing the spurs fans distressed gives so much joy! Highlight of our season tbh..
You sound like a Spurs fan tbh. For years the only pleasure they've had is from our failings, not their own success.

If you want to laugh at the Spurs then do so because they finished below us. Again. After being 10 points ahead (Wenger :bow: )
And we hammered them 5-2 having been 2-0 down

Olivier's xmas twist
20-05-2012, 08:54 AM
I know how he feels.

You sound like a Spurs fan tbh. For years the only pleasure they've had is from our failings, not their own success.

If you want to laugh at the Spurs then do so because they finished below us. Again. After being 10 points ahead (Wenger :bow: )

Both points well said.

But come on if it was us who finished do you think the Spuds fans and the rest of the world would show us mercy.

Spurs knew the rules and they failed they have no one to blame but themselves. But it must suck for them though.

fakeyank
20-05-2012, 09:15 AM

Show me our own success and I shall not look at their failures. Got to take joy from somewhere.. these days its from Sp*rs cocking up without any fail.

Coney
20-05-2012, 09:17 AM
I think I'm going to unsubscribe from Sky Sports. I rarely watch it, Arsenal away games apart, and while I subscribe I'm complicit in all this.

I did that a few years ago. When my renewal had a note that they 'had to' increase the subscription from £43 to £48 a month (with the films - seen most, and discovery - poorly researched crap, etc.) Then I thought that I could just go down the pub for the odd match I really want to see, have a couple of decent pints of proper beer and watch the game with a bit of atmosphere - that would be a damn site less than £48 a month. Or £576 a year!!!! This is insane. Like you said earlier, what happens in non-Arsenal matches is so much less important than it used to be. So why pour the money down the toilet.

Olivier's xmas twist
20-05-2012, 09:21 AM

Don't blame you one bit tbh. Ach did it Probs the best thing he ever did tbh.

Cripps_orig
20-05-2012, 09:22 AM
Spuds :haha:

Marc Overmars
20-05-2012, 09:24 AM
I had some banter with my Spud mate because he's livid, last night must have been a track wreck of emotions for him. I do sympathise with with the Spuds though, just a little.

Alan B'stard
20-05-2012, 09:26 AM
I know how he feels.Football used to be a sport. It used to be fun. There are still moments when it's like that but not that often these days in an era when billionaires can buy clubs and blunder their way to trophies by sheer force of money.I'm pretty much done with football too. I go to Arsenal because dad wants to and it's pretty much the backbone of our relationship but I pretty much never watch non-Arsenal games these days. The whole 'sport' is rotten to the core. Nail on head. But it's still funny hearing it from the scum after they've been kicked in the bollocks.

Alan B'stard
20-05-2012, 09:29 AM
So now that we're all agreed than the league and CL are beyond us (since they are bought and thus debased)

...do the arsenal board deserve some slack if they stick to 3rd spot but do win a domestic cup from time to time?

Olivier's xmas twist
20-05-2012, 09:41 AM
Some Chav **** on TS Reckons We should have a protest to get the Spuds into the CL because its not fair.

Here's an idea as Chavs won't win the thing next season as no one as ever retained it. Why don't they give their spot to Spuds as there's will only be wasted anyways.

Olivier's xmas twist
20-05-2012, 09:42 AM
So now that we're all agreed than the league and CL are beyond us (since they are bought and thus debased)

...do the arsenal board deserve some slack if they stick to 3rd spot but do win a domestic cup from time to time?

If they do the right thing to get us a cup then yes and if they feel we can go that bit extra and help us to win something bigger then why not.

Dennis Bendtner
20-05-2012, 10:28 AM
Finishing above them is enough of an answer to them giving it large about norf lahndan being white. Chelsea winning the whole thing is too much of a cost. Can't be arsed taking the mick. We're both competing against surreal money. But they will have a lot of work to do as their revenue is nowhere near ours whilst their wages catch up fast. The CL bracket is cash-rich. Bye to at least one of their star men in the summer.

jelgoon
20-05-2012, 10:57 AM
I feel sorry for the Spuds a bit too. But they fucked up big time this season - drawing at home to Wolves, losing at home to Norwich and hardly winning a game in the run-in. Rednapp isnt as good as he thinks he is.

I had some banter with my Spud mate because he's livid, last night must have been a track wreck of emotions for him. I do sympathise with with the Spuds though, just a little.

Kano
20-05-2012, 11:35 AM
I know how he feels.

you've gone from

'Have You Enjoyed This Season? - I kinda have'

to the whole sport is rotten and football sucks, in the space of a week?

i think this season was great and i'm enjoying the variety of football more than ever across the world.

Kano
20-05-2012, 11:37 AM

not only the board but wenger deserve grief for not doing so. one or two cups should not have been out of his reach in the past 7 years, if they were taken more seriously. whether or not that will change whilst he remains with us is to be seen.

Marc Overmars
20-05-2012, 11:38 AM
you've gone from

i think this season was great and i'm enjoying the variety of football more than ever across the world.

Arsenal Arsenal'd it up again, and dirty money won the biggest prizes. Season from hell.

Kano
20-05-2012, 11:41 AM
easy way to look at it i think - upon reflection i've enjoyed it, not only the arsenal 3rd spot.

chelsea winning stinks but that's all. enjoyed watching dortmund, monty, swansea, reading, wigan, newcastle and juve all having their journeys through the season too.

Letters
20-05-2012, 12:34 PM
you've gone from

I've enjoyed what Arsenal did. There were ups and downs but a 3rd place finish is very creditable given the money other clubs are throwing around and Spurs being 10 points clear of us and us 2-0 down to them and staring down the barrel of a gun. So I've enjoyed that. But watching City and Chelsea sweep the board by throwing stupid money around. That sickens me.In brief: I've enjoyed Arsenal's season but I'm not enjoying the way football overall is going.

milla
20-05-2012, 12:45 PM
I know how he feels.

You can still find proper football league in Germany, France or Netherlands. EPL has become too predictable ala LaLiga. At this rate, even Italian league looks more entertaining IMO. :coffee:

jelgoon
20-05-2012, 12:51 PM
I disagree. I think this was the most unpredictable Premiership season I can remember. No team was unbeatable and you had lesser teams like Norwich, Wigan, Swansea and QPR beating the top teams unexpectedly. You also had massive results like Man Utd killing us and then Man City killing them a few weeks later. So, predictable it wasnt.

You can still find proper football league in Germany, France or Netherlands. EPL has become too predictable ala LaLiga. At this rate, even Italian league looks more entertaining IMO. :coffee:

milla
20-05-2012, 12:54 PM
I disagree. I think this was the most unpredictable Premiership season I can remember. No team was unbeatable and you had lesser teams like Norwich, Wigan, Swansea and QPR beating the top teams unexpectedly. You also had massive results like Man Utd killing us and then Man City killing them a few weeks later. So, predictable it wasnt.

Yeah but the race for the top spot is too predictable. Unlike in Germany and France, their league champions dont spend half billion euro to buy the league. :coffee:

Özim
20-05-2012, 12:55 PM
My enjoyment of football is directly correlated to Arsenal, I don't mind watching other matches (some can be very entertaining) but as thing stand for us I just don't enjoy it.

The predictability of our seasons is just a bore, it'd be nice if we had that grit and determination Graham sides had, the grit that always gave us a chance of upsetting the odds.

The money other clubs have isn't ruining football for me, it's the attitude of the club that we can't compete so why bother trying. What Chelsea have shown is that you can upset the odds.

Let's be honest here, although they spent a lot when Abrahmovic first arrived, they've not spent anywhere near as much in recent times, in addition their squad was seemingly on it's last legs, but through grit determination and some luck they won the CL.

jelgoon
20-05-2012, 12:55 PM
Well it depends on whether we had money to throw around or not. If we had money to spend during the last close season but the board and Wenger chose not to spend it ( prefering to pocket the profils as dividends and salary increases) then it was a crap season. If we genuinely didnt have money to spend ( and no-one seems to know as our finances are shrouded in mystery) then thats another story.

I've enjoyed what Arsenal did. There were ups and downs but a 3rd place finish is very creditable given the money other clubs are throwing around and Spurs being 10 points clear of us and us 2-0 down to them and staring down the barrel of a gun. So I've enjoyed that. But watching City and Chelsea sweep the board by throwing stupid money around. That sickens me.In brief: I've enjoyed Arsenal's season but I'm not enjoying the way football overall is going.

Özim
20-05-2012, 01:00 PM
Well it depends on whether we had money to throw around or not. If we had money to spend during the last close season but the board and Wenger chose not to spend it ( prefering to pocket the profils as dividends and salary increases) then it was a crap season. If we genuinely didnt have money to spend ( and no-one seems to know as our finances are shrouded in mystery) then thats another story.
We definitely had money last summer, we sold two of our best players.

We spent some of it of course, but these were panic buys, it looks like the board were gonna pocket it until we got annhilated 8-2.

I'd sooner have seen the money spent (other than on Oxo) go on some top quality players personally.

Letters
20-05-2012, 01:02 PM
The predictability of our seasons is just a bore
You thought we'd finish 3rd and above Spurs?

Let's be honest here, although they spent a lot when Abrahmovic first arrived, they've not spent anywhere near as much in recent times
Yeah. Just £182m in the last couple of years. Chickenfeed really:

http://www.transferleague.co.uk/premiership-transfers/chelsea-transfers.html

Cripps_orig
20-05-2012, 01:03 PM
You thought we'd finish 3rd and above Spurs?At the start of the season, yes

Özim
20-05-2012, 01:06 PM

Yeah. Just £182m in the last couple of years. Chickenfeed really:

http://www.transferleague.co.uk/premiership-transfers/chelsea-transfers.html
Predictable in a sense that we'd win nothing and probably end up 4th (ok we got 3rd but I've explained the Spuds bottle job).

As for the spending fair point (although they recouped 36 million), but I don't think the CL win was down to money, they didn't have the best side and hadn't spend the most...it was about more than that, there's was a real grit and determination about them.

Letters
20-05-2012, 01:07 PM
At the start of the season, yes

Really? But you posted this last May:

With Wenger in charge next season and if he doesn't strengthen this summer then it might happen. Spuds will buy, that's for sure. How they got VdV for that cheap last summer was a stroke of genius. Brilliant player

http://www.goonersweb.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=172&page=1

Cripps_orig
20-05-2012, 01:09 PM
Really? But you posted this last May:

http://www.goonersweb.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=172&page=1Might happen....might being the main word there and it nearly did happen. Thankfully they fucked up

Letters
20-05-2012, 01:11 PM
Predictable in a sense that we'd win nothing and probably end up 4th (ok we got 3rd but I've explained the Spuds bottle job).

You thought we'd finish top 4 this season? Really. OK then, I didn't.

As for the spending fair point (although they recouped 36 million), but I don't think the CL win was down to money, they didn't have the best side and hadn't spend the most...it was about more than that, there's was a real grit and determination about them.
They got a fair bit of luck but they also showed a lot of spirit, as Wenger would say. But would they have been in the CL, let alone the final but for Abramovic? Would they balls. I listed in another thread the cost of Chelsea's team last night. They had 2 players just on the bench who cost more than Arsenal's transfer record. Money played its part last night. It's pretty much the only way to win the big trophies these days, sadly.

Letters
20-05-2012, 01:13 PM
Might happen....might being the main word there and it nearly did happen. Thankfully they fucked upAnd then a couple of months in you said we'd finish 10th. But yeah, if you say you thought we'd finish 4th then fair enough.

Özim
20-05-2012, 01:18 PM
You thought we'd finish top 4 this season? Really. OK then, I didn't.

They got a fair bit of luck but they also showed a lot of spirit, as Wenger would say. But would they have been in the CL, let alone the final but for Abramovic? Would they balls. I listed in another thread the cost of Chelsea's team last night. They had 2 players just on the bench who cost more than Arsenal's transfer record. Money played its part last night. It's pretty much the only way to win the big trophies these days, sadly.
They spent some money for sure, but if you use that link and look at our transfer spend it just shows you we could have competed at the highest level, instead we've pocked a hefty profit almost every season since 05/06.

If we utilised our resources as we could, we'd be able to compete and win these trophies IMO, I agree money plays a part, we barely spend any so we have no chance.

You can't expect to compete when you let your best players go and don't really sign top quality, that's just logic really, Chelsea have spent money but the fact is they have a few top quality players and those are the players that make all the difference, we could afford these if we really wanted to. In addition they did play as a unit and showed a real resilience and team spirit in addition to mental strength (:lol:).

Wenger always mentions these things with regards our team when they in reality don't possess these qualities, maybe he should look at some other teams to see what those qualities actually mean.

Letters
20-05-2012, 01:21 PM
We have a stadium debt to repay. Chelsea are backed by a billionaire so they don't have to live within their means.
I think we could be spending more, we probably should be, but we can't compete with Chelsea, City or ManYoo in the transfer market.

Özim
20-05-2012, 01:26 PM
We have a stadium debt to repay. Chelsea are backed by a billionaire so they don't have to live within their means.
I think we could be spending more, we probably should be, but we can't compete with Chelsea, City or ManYoo in the transfer market.
We don't have to sign the same players, in addition it isn't always about money, of course it is now as we're not really seen as a desirable destination anymore but once upon a time players were desperate to link up with us and play alongside some of the players we had. It's our own fualt for losing that appeal.

Anyway the point is we could spend, the money from team should be re-inested in the team and be totally independent from the stadium, that's how it was sold to us. We've wasted money on big contracts for kids who have in time proved to be just that, a waste of money...that money could have been used on bringing in quality players, in addition our squad is over-inflated mainly with overpaid players who aren't giving us anything it has to be said.

Olivier's xmas twist
20-05-2012, 04:57 PM
Do they get put down to the 4th place team?

im trying to find positives today, the thought of arsenal getting knocked in a qualifer makes me a little happy and im sad cos west ham and the ****s won today.

We need to spend big this summer on luke wells, nick powell, and that zaha lad at palace. I knows they are youngins but they are goodens.

No. All english clubs enter the group stage of the UCL. Tottenham go straight into the group stage for the Europa League.

http://www.glory-glory.co.uk/showthread.php?1782-does-this-mean-arsenal-have-to-play-the-qualifer-for-the-champs-league

:haha: Spurs

Injury Time
20-05-2012, 05:10 PM
Work spud has given up her season ticket after35 years as doesnt live near the shithole and is tired of being dicked around by tv fixtures. She was definitely giving up if not in chumps league as Thursday night Sunday matches would really fuck up her home life. sky 1 spuds 0...or should that be channel5?

Özim
20-05-2012, 05:25 PM
or should that be channel5?
ITV 4 I think.

Injury Time
20-05-2012, 10:06 PM
ITV 4 I think.
There is an itv4 now, well who would've thunk it....presses retune on digbox...

Cripps_orig
20-05-2012, 11:45 PM
And then a couple of months in you said we'd finish 10th. But yeah, if you say you thought we'd finish 4th then fair enough.Tongue in cheek comment about us being 10th as you well know

21_GOONER_SALUTE
21-05-2012, 12:42 AM
Anyway, I'm going to Wembley tomorrow with my brother who's a Luton fan and we're going to watch a proper game of football played by proper teams, and I'm thinking I might just become a Luton fan if I can't shake football altogether.

R.I.P. :rose: :rose: :rose:

Cripps_orig
21-05-2012, 01:07 AM
Saha and Pienaar congratulated Chavs on their CL purchase and Spud fans arent happy :lol:

Coney
21-05-2012, 10:58 AM

I did. :engagesmugmode:

Letters
21-05-2012, 11:23 AM
I did. :engagesliarmode:

Fair enough.

Niall_Quinn
21-05-2012, 11:37 AM
Don't feel sorry for the spuds at all. 4th shouldn't be good enough to quality for the "champions" league anyway. Neither should 3rd or probably 2nd in truth. If the spuds couldn't even finish above us then they deserve nothing. If Platini and co genuinely cared about the integrity of the game they wouldn't be trying to expand this competition to a point where it has become a second league. They say one thing and do the opposite.

Olivier's xmas twist
21-05-2012, 11:46 AM
Don't feel sorry for the spuds at all. 4th shouldn't be good enough to quality for the "champions" league anyway. Neither should 3rd or probably 2nd in truth. If the spuds couldn't even finish above us then they deserve nothing. If Platini and co genuinely cared about the integrity of the game they wouldn't be trying to expand this competition to a point where it has become a second league. They say one thing and do the opposite.

Yep these are the guys who are Ruining the Sport with all these Silly rules etc. All they care about is money, money, money.
Oh and on Spurs too right they'd not care if that was us they laught and laugh so feck em.

McNamara That Ghost...
21-05-2012, 11:46 AM
I don't get the enmity for the name of the competition. It's called the Champions League because the winners become the Champions of Europe surely. If it was as you say it should be, it should be called the League Champions League.

Olivier's xmas twist
21-05-2012, 11:48 AM
I don't get the enmity for the name of the competition. It's called the Champions League because the winners become the Champions of Europe surely. If it was as you say it should be, it should be called the League Champions League.

Just go back to the European Cup tbh.

McNamara That Ghost...
21-05-2012, 11:49 AM
Just go back to the European Cup tbh.

No thanks.

European Cup music. :bow:

It doesn't seem as grand.

Niall_Quinn
21-05-2012, 11:54 AM

It replace the Euro Cup so that's a convenient rather than accurate way of looking at it. We moan about Arsenal winning the 4th place cup all the time but if this silly Euro comp didn't exist in its silly form where basically everyone gets in maybe we would have focused on domestic cups and actually winning the league instead. It's a disruptive foreign league that runs smack in the middle of our season. And most of the games are atrocious, anything but champion levels of football on display. All so people who are already filthy rich can get even richer. I view the tournament in much the same way at the European Union - unnecessary and unrepresentative. At least the money should go back to the various leagues rather than into the pockets of a few clubs who are already financially ahead of the rest. This is more like a corporate thing than sport, monopoly instead of competition.

McNamara That Ghost...
21-05-2012, 12:02 PM
It replace the Euro Cup so that's a convenient rather than accurate way of looking at it. We moan about Arsenal winning the 4th place cup all the time but if this silly Euro comp didn't exist in its silly form where basically everyone gets in maybe we would have focused on domestic cups and actually winning the league instead. It's a disruptive foreign league that runs smack in the middle of our season. And most of the games are atrocious, anything but champion levels of football on display. All so people who are already filthy rich can get even richer. I view the tournament in much the same way at the European Union - unnecessary and unrepresentative. At least the money should go back to the various leagues rather than into the pockets of a few clubs who are already financially ahead of the rest. This is more like a corporate thing than sport, monopoly instead of competition.

And calling it the European Cup is slightly inaccurate when you can win er, other, European cups in the same season. The reason for the eventual expansion to 32 teams happened (and this didn't come in to play for 92/93 when it started) I think was so that it has a direct competitionn with the World Cup.

As for whether we'd focus on the league solely, or indeed the cups is debatable. Sometimes I think we forget the gravy train we have as the domestic competition and in recent years we'll get more money from that than what we do from the Champions League.

I don't see the point in arguing about the quality of matches (even though I would say you're wrong) but would the quality of those games really be any better if it went back to the 'old' format?

Coney
21-05-2012, 12:02 PM
Fair enough.

http://www.goonersweb.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=776&page=3

:fingers:

Niall_Quinn
21-05-2012, 12:11 PM
And calling it the European Cup is slightly inaccurate when you can win er, other, European cups in the same season. The reason for the eventual expansion to 32 teams happened (and this didn't come in to play for 92/93 when it started) I think was so that it has a direct competitionn with the World Cup.

As for whether we'd focus on the league solely, or indeed the cups is debatable. Sometimes I think we forget the gravy train we have as the domestic competition and in recent years we'll get more money from that than what we do from the Champions League.

I don't see the point in arguing about the quality of matches (even though I would say you're wrong) but would the quality of those games really be any better if it went back to the 'old' format?

No, but there would be less games to endure and less impact on our domestic season. It's just money replacing excellence again, isn't it? Another way to scalp the fans. We've even had to cut the amount of teams in our leagues and play less games to accommodate this shit. The whole group stage thing is shit, it's even seeded to favour the big clubs. We know who's getting through and then it becomes a knockout comp anyway so why bother with all that boring shit beforehand? It's just for the money.

Coney
21-05-2012, 12:15 PM
No, but there would be less games to endure and less impact on our domestic season. It's just money replacing excellence again, isn't it? Another way to scalp the fans. We've even had to cut the amount of teams in our leagues and play less games to accommodate this shit. The whole group stage thing is shit, it's even seeded to favour the big clubs. We know who's getting through and then it becomes a knockout comp anyway so why bother with all that boring shit beforehand? It's just for the money.

When it was pure knock-out it was easier to win as well. Lesser clubs doing the odd giant-killing and the random selection meant that there was a good chance you could get an easy path to the final, especially if you got one that included a lot of league winners from the smaller leagues. The group stage means that in the knock-outs you are going to come up against more serious opposition on the way. In terms of effort and skill requirement, CL > EC.

Olivier's xmas twist
21-05-2012, 12:17 PM

I do think since The they have allowed letting the top 3/4 into the CL it has made the comp and our league and other league's boring tbh.

These people don't give a shite if the best teams don't get in the the Cl anyway only bothered about the money it will bring.

So can they really complain when they get a final like that. With Chavs pub teaming it.

Nozza!
21-05-2012, 12:19 PM
Oi, geezers, what a load of self-loathing, pansyfied whining. Me, I’m taking a long, hot shower in sweet Spudenfreude water…

Olivier's xmas twist
21-05-2012, 12:24 PM
What was everyone's view of the 2nd group stage when that used to be around?

Globalgunner
21-05-2012, 12:26 PM
The league was expanded as many will recall in response to the threat of a breakaway league by the `big`teams all who wanted a piece of the pie that was excluded to them since they all couldnt be in the old European cup at the same time. It was the only solution at the time as the G14 would have it no other way. I disagree that the games are mostly crap. as can be seen with the final on saturday. It is not the football that is crap but the teams that elect to play crap football. I have now realised that "shit on a stick" is mostly a Chelsea invention as they have been a party to all the crappiest encounters in recent history. The recent europa cup games and the Bayern/Real semi show that football is always exciting when BOTH teams want to win the match.

What really ruined this final was the nonsense of excluding players for cumulative yellows in the biggest match of the year. They could just as well have made the bans effective for the following season and reaped the reward of a better spectacle. I think most would agree if Alaba and Gustavo et al had played yesterday. Bayern would have steamrollerd Chelsea. Plus we would have probably seen more comedy gold from the big man doing the splits or collaring Robben as he went by him

Basically dont blame the players, blame the lousy scriptwriters for the calamity show served up.

The only part I blame UEFA is thier insincere attempts to rigmarole the competitions to bring in so called lesser teams at the expense of the established ones. Isnt that what the Europa cup was designed for?

Marc Overmars
21-05-2012, 12:31 PM
What was everyone's view of the 2nd group stage when that used to be around?

Wasn't a fan of it, made things too bloated.

Özim
21-05-2012, 12:32 PM
Always felt the European Cup felt a lot more special, to qualify you had to achieve something which is very hard to do, win your own league. This meant that you didn't qualify for it all the time and that when you did it have that extra special something about it.

Nowadays getting 3rd/4th gets you in, so basically you don't have to win anything or even be anywhere near the winners of your league, makes a mockery of the competition to have this. I'd rather see cup winners go into it than 3rd/4th place, at least they've had to win something to qualify.

I don't see why you should be rewarded for losing to be honest.

Özim
21-05-2012, 12:33 PM
When it was pure knock-out it was easier to win as well. Lesser clubs doing the odd giant-killing and the random selection meant that there was a good chance you could get an easy path to the final, especially if you got one that included a lot of league winners from the smaller leagues. The group stage means that in the knock-outs you are going to come up against more serious opposition on the way. In terms of effort and skill requirement, CL > EC.
I wouldn't say it was easier to win at all, a pure knockout competition gives you no 2nd chances, if you concede away goals the punishment can be severe, unlike now when you have 5 other group games to pull you out of the fire.

Straight knockout is always riskier, right now we can have an off day lose comfortably and still qualify as winners of the group. In 2 legged affairs if you underperform away, sometimes there's no way back and the away goal can be a killer.

McNamara That Ghost...
21-05-2012, 12:34 PM

There are barely any cup competitions where the best teams don't eventually get through, seeded or otherwise. You get the occasional mess-up in the group stage - Man Utd have twice, Liverpool have once and Citeh did too.

You say that we know who is going to go through so how can then you say those initial six games impinge on our season? Especially when those six games are finished by early December.

McNamara That Ghost...
21-05-2012, 12:35 PM
I wouldn't say it was easier to win at all, a pure knockout competition gives you no 2nd chances, if you concede away goals the punishment can be severe, unlike now when you have 5 other group games to pull you out of the fire.

Straight knockout is always riskier.

It was not a straight knockout. The ties are two-legged, that will obviously give an advantage to the better teams anyway.

Özim
21-05-2012, 12:36 PM
It was not a straight knockout. The ties are two-legged, that will obviously give an advantage to the better teams anyway.
That's what I meant, the point is though away goals are a real problem in two legged affairs.

A bad result at home, 3-2 for example can't be very hard to recover from, Benfica showed that against us in 92, when we got done at home with away goals pretty much finishing us off (after a draw in the 1st leg), likewise Chelsea in the semi.

The group stages are p*ss easy IMO.

Olivier's xmas twist
21-05-2012, 12:40 PM
Always felt the European Cup felt a lot more special, to qualify you had to achieve something which is very hard to do, win your own league. This meant that you didn't qualify for it all the time and that when you did it have that extra special something about it.

Nowadays getting 3rd/4th gets you in, so basically you don't have to win anything or even be anywhere near the winners of your league, makes a mockery of the competition to have this. I'd rather see cup winners go into it than 3rd/4th place, at least they've had to win something to qualify.

I don't see why you should be rewarded for losing to be honest.

Problem with that it would either be the teams that wins the league who wins the cup or like Chelsea this season then how would it be decided.

I think the Fa cup winners should get in the CL gut the 4th place thing. Don't think the CC winner should get in the CL spot.

I can see why Uefa may not want that. Can you immagine if A team like Cardiff or Barnsley or even Stoke one the cup. It would be bad for the comp in their eyes.

If you think that 3/4 get a reward for loosing then does that not apply to 2nd place too?

Olivier's xmas twist
21-05-2012, 12:41 PM
That's what I meant, the point is though away goals are a real problem in two legged affairs.

A bad result at home, 3-2 for example can't be very hard to recover from, Benfica showed that against us in 92, when we got done at home with away goals pretty much finishing us off (after a draw in the 1st leg), likewise Chelsea in the semi.

Too many games though, I know what you mean id you loose 1 game you can rely on 5 others but it takes a lot out of you. and was even worse when the had 3 group stages.

McNamara That Ghost...
21-05-2012, 12:45 PM

We could easily get a group of ourselves, Shakhtar Donetsk, Juventus and Borussia Dortmund next season. If you're lucky in the draw, it can be 'piss easy' but other times, you can get a nightmare group. Just ask Citeh.

Away goals are a danger but they're a danger for the inferior side in each tie too. The rallying against the Champions League for me is missing the point slightly - we get the benefit of being able to qualify for the competition from a position of third and fourth because English sides have been able to do well year-on-year.

And why is that? The big smoking gun would be the money Premier League teams get from the gravy train competiton we're involved in for 38 games a season.

Özim
21-05-2012, 12:45 PM
Problem with that it would either be the teams that wins the league who wins the cup or like Chelsea this season then how would it be decided.

I think the Fa cup winners should get in the CL gut the 4th place thing. Don't think the CC winner should get in the CL spot.

I can see why Uefa may not want that. Can you immagine if A team like Cardiff or Barnsley or even Stoke one the cup. It would be bad for the comp in their eyes.
If a CL place was offered I don't think you'd see too many teams like Cardiff winning the cup, to be honest the teams who win the FA Cup tend to be pretty good.

The CC shouldn't get a CL place I agree, I think 1st the cup winners and then maybe the winners of a playoff between 2nd-5th maybe should get a 3rd place if we had to let 3 teams in.

You'd have more of a sense of achievement, a bit like the playoff finals we have now.

IBK
21-05-2012, 12:47 PM
While I'll always revel in Sp*rs' misfortune, its difficult not to sympathise with their predicament. They are, like us, suffering because of a steep playing field where success correlates simply with how much money you have. CL football was so important to them because of the ability to attract top talent and trying to avoid your best players leaving, just like us. They were having their most successful ever season, and then imploded - just like we tend to do...

...but in a specific, rather than a general way its stretching a point to say Chelsea bought that trophy on Saturday. They won firstly through sheer good luck, secondly through mental strength, and thirdly through pragmatic Mourinho-style tactics, the second and third of which are the main problems with Wenger's teams. So while the Chelsea win, and its ramifications for more or less ensuring that they will remain a stronger club than our's for the forseeable future - sickens me, it also turns an uncomfortable mirror on our own team.

Syn
21-05-2012, 12:47 PM
We had as tough group this year. Dortmund absolutely battered us 1-1 but them we killed them in our back yard didn't we? Should be interesting to see how Dortmund get on next year. They don't particularly seem dependent on anyone and they will retain their stars over the summer minus kagawa. Seem to be everyone's second favourite.

Özim
21-05-2012, 12:48 PM
We could easily get a group of ourselves, Shakhtar Donetsk, Juventus and Borussia Dortmund next season. If you're lucky in the draw, it can be 'piss easy' but other times, you can get a nightmare group. Just ask Citeh.

Away goals are a danger but they're a danger for the inferior side in each tie too. The rallying against the Champions League for me is missing the point slightly - we get the benefit of being able to qualify for the competition from a position of third and fourth because English sides have been able to do well year-on-year.

And why is that? The big smoking gun would be the money Premier League teams get from the gravy train competiton we're involved in for 38 games a season.
True but that's very rare, being a seed it means you tend to avoid the harder teams. Away goals are a danger for both teams yes, but what a 2 legged tie doesn't allow is complacency, if you have a bad game and get done by a smaller team it's hard to recover from.

You have a point, but I just don't like the idea of 3rd/4th getting in, would rather see the winner of a playoff with a cup at the end like the playoff's in lower divisions and the cup winner going into the CL.

Olivier's xmas twist
21-05-2012, 12:49 PM
If a CL place was offered I don't think you'd see too many teams like Cardiff winning the cup, to be honest the teams who win the FA Cup tend to be pretty good.

The CC shouldn't get a CL place I agree, I think 1st the cup winners and then maybe the winners of a playoff between 2nd-5th maybe should get a 3rd place if we had to let 3 teams in.

You'd have more of a sense of achievement, a bit like the playoff finals we have now.

Well thats true and im sure as much as Chavs fans are happy it would have been better if they won it as EPL Champs like the Mancs did.

Olivier's xmas twist
21-05-2012, 12:52 PM
...but in a specific, rather than a general way its stretching a point to say Chelsea bought that trophy on Saturday. They won firstly through sheer good luck, secondly through mental strength, and thirdly through pragmatic Mourinho-style tactics, the second and third of which are the main problems with Wenger's teams. So while the Chelsea win, and its ramifications for more or less ensuring that they will remain a stronger club than our's for the forseeable future - sickens me, it also turns an uncomfortable mirror on our own team.

:gp: you hit the nail on the head tbh.

Maybe it was Chavs Destiny to win the thing as they keep saying.

McNamara That Ghost...
21-05-2012, 12:55 PM
True but that's very rare, being a seed it means you tend to avoid the harder teams. Away goals are a danger for both teams yes, but what a 2 legged tie doesn't allow is complacency, if you have a bad game and get done by a smaller team it's hard to recover from.

You have a point, but I just don't like the idea of 3rd/4th getting in, would rather see a playoff with a cup at the end like the playoff's in lower divisions and a cup winning going into the CL.

Of course it's rare, just like FA Cup shocks are rare, it has happened to Man Utd twice and Liverpool also though (perhaps through arrogance, who can be sure?) Recoveries happen against the smaller teams more than you think. It's 'rare' that a smaller team will win against the bigger team by more than one goal and that's very recoverable.

If there is to be a shake-up in the competition it's not going to have the desired effect you seem to think it will for quite a few seasons down the line, you can't undo the amount of money the bigger clubs make within one summer. And without that Champions League money it will possibly be even harder for a shock two-legged result.

Özim
21-05-2012, 12:57 PM
Totally agree with this and this is the reason we can never get "lucky". Chelsea certainly had the rub of the green, but it takes that extra something to turn that into a trophy, basically what the Graham teams had in abundance.

They weren't the best, but they could upset the odds and beat the best through hard work, organisation and hard work and a sheer desire to win.

Olivier's xmas twist
21-05-2012, 01:00 PM
Totally agree with this and this is the reason we can never get "lucky". Chelsea certainly had the rub of the green, but it takes that extra something to turn that into a trophy, basically what the Graham teams had in abundance.

They weren't the best, but they could upset the odds and beat the best through hard work, organisation and hard work and a sheer desire to win.

Also Chavs have been trying to win it for ages now tbh, its been their goal more then the league. So they were always going to take it serious and have that hunger to win it anyways.

Özim
21-05-2012, 01:01 PM
Of course it's rare, just like FA Cup shocks are rare, it has happened to Man Utd twice and Liverpool also though (perhaps through arrogance, who can be sure?) Recoveries happen against the smaller teams more than you think. It's 'rare' that a smaller team will win against the bigger team by more than one goal and that's very recoverable.

If there is to be a shake-up in the competition it's not going to have the desired effect you seem to think it will for quite a few seasons down the line, you can't undo the amount of money the bigger clubs make within one summer. And without that Champions League money it will possibly be even harder for a shock two-legged result.
To be honest the shocks tend to happen earlier on in competitions when a teams mind isn't as focussed on winning it, the closer you get to the final the more focus there is, hence the reason you rarely see big team getting beaten in semi's/finals.

I think two legged ties from the start would create a less predictable competition personally.

McNamara That Ghost...
21-05-2012, 01:02 PM
To be honest the shocks tend to happen earlier on in competitions when a teams mind isn't as focussed on winning it, the closer you get to the final the more focus there is, hence the reason you rarely see big team getting beaten in semi's/finals.

I think two legged ties from the start would create a less predictable competition personally.

How? They'd surely be 'more focused' by your logic because it's a two-legged tie from the outset.

IBK
21-05-2012, 01:05 PM

The other factor, I suppose, is experience. Towards the end of the game, they'd been there, done that, plus they've already won one cup final this season, and many other trophies recently. Bayern have recent experience of making it to CL finals too - but I reckon that playing at home and being favourites was a disadvantage for them at the end.

Olivier's xmas twist
21-05-2012, 01:08 PM
The other factor, I suppose, is experience. Towards the end of the game, they'd been there, done that, plus they've already won one cup final this season, and many other trophies recently. Bayern have recent experience of making it to CL finals too - but I reckon that playing at home and being favourites was a disadvantage for them at the end.

Pretty Much, not to mention the Manager Subs been bad and Robben trying to play as a one man team, Oppose to chavs playing like a team. Also Bayern loosing the league and getting Battered in the cup a week earlier was more pressure on them.

Cole
Drogba
Cech

All stood up in that game and can be proud of that.

I do agree though experience is Essential i mean look at Utd with the league they know how to win it so it helps them.

Özim
21-05-2012, 01:09 PM
How? They'd surely be 'more focused' by your logic because it's a two-legged tie from the outset.
Teams don't tend to be as focussed earlier on in competitions, just look at the FA Cup and when the top teams tend to get knocked out, generally it's before the quarters and almost always before the semi's. The focus gets greater as you get closer to winning it, likewise with the CL, in the group stages top teams sometimes get complacent.

Özim
21-05-2012, 01:10 PM
Experience plays a part for sure, if you've won trophies before you've been there and thus know what it takes. We never win a thing and thus none of our players ever know how to deal with these situations, the mentality just isn't right IMO, we need a few players who have been there for the others to learn from.

Niall_Quinn
21-05-2012, 01:13 PM
Too heavy now - let's just laugh at the spuds instead :haha:

McNamara That Ghost...
21-05-2012, 01:13 PM
Teams don't tend to be as focussed earlier on in competitions, just look at the FA Cup and when the top teams tend to get knocked out, generally it's before the quarters and almost always before the semi's. The focus gets greater as you get closer to winning it, likewise with the CL, in the group stages top teams sometimes get complacent.

Even if they aren't, they get a second chance to get it right. What you're saying is then the competition would be exactly the same as what you think it is now once you get to what, the last 16? And that's going to make it more intriguing?

Olivier's xmas twist
21-05-2012, 01:18 PM
Too heavy now - let's just laugh at the spuds instead :haha:
:gp:

Özim
21-05-2012, 01:23 PM
Even if they aren't, they get a second chance to get it right. What you're saying is then the competition would be exactly the same as what you think it is now once you get to what, the last 16? And that's going to make it more intriguing?
No :lol:

If big teams aren't as focussed early on then they are more likely to get knocked out early on and thus we may have a very different looking QF lineup from one season to another.

McNamara That Ghost...
21-05-2012, 01:28 PM

If big teams aren't as focussed early on then they are more likely to get knocked out early on and thus we may have a very different looking QF lineup from one season to another.

I admire your optimism but the better teams will still get through generally, they're better for a reason! What it would mean though is that we'd see more 'big' matches early on I suppose but I don't know if that's something I want to see early on or not. I guess it is but then it just guarantees one of the bigger sides will be in the QF's!

Olivier's xmas twist
21-05-2012, 01:28 PM

Nah there alot of poor teams in the early stages. Its more then likely even if not focused the big teams would still go through.

Olivier's xmas twist
21-05-2012, 01:29 PM
I admire your optimism but the better teams will still get through generally, they're better for a reason! What it would mean though is that we'd see more 'big' matches early on I suppose but I don't know if that's something I want to see early on or not. I guess it is but then it just guarantees one of the bigger sides will be in the QF's!

Who wants to see Barca vs UTD or us that early tbh.

Coney
21-05-2012, 05:43 PM
Who want to see Barca vs UTD or us that early tbh.

I would. If Barca and manu play so only one makes it to the next round then that is one fewer for us to worry about.

Ollie the Optimist
21-05-2012, 05:47 PM

i take issue with this because i dont think the scum bottle job is their fault alone. its our fault, they were 13 points ahead and we were shit but we started wining, we fucking hammered them and placed pressure on them and they were looking behind them at us and charging up on them so we caused their collaspe

Olivier's xmas twist
21-05-2012, 05:49 PM
I would. If Barca and manu play so only one makes it to the next round then that is one fewer for us to worry about.

Well i guess but for the Neutral it be a different story.

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
21-05-2012, 05:57 PM
I take no pleasure from their plight, not out of any sense of empathy or caring...simply for me it is important for Arsenal to win, what they achieve is of little relevance......in the unlikely event that we won the title and European cup would we honestly care if that lot did the domestic cup double in the same season?. I wouldn't bat an eyelid....what's important is Arsenal and if the best we can be offered is schadenfreude than it's a pretty glib future.

Olivier's xmas twist
21-05-2012, 05:59 PM
I take no pleasure from their plight, not out of any sense of empathy or caring...simply for me it is important for Arsenal to win, what they achieve is of little relevance......in the unlikely event that we won the title and European cup would we honestly care if that lot did the domestic cup double in the same season?. I wouldn't bat an eyelid....what's important is Arsenal and if the best we can be offered is schadenfreude than it's a pretty glib future.

:gp:

Flavs
21-05-2012, 07:53 PM
Thought it might be interesting to see how Spurs fans were feeling after their Champions League exit...I was not wrong! :D

Go there yourself for a good giggle but this one was particularly pleasing:

LOL Spurs

And Luton lost :pal:

Xhaka Can’t
21-05-2012, 09:14 PM
No thanks.

European Cup music. :bow:

It doesn't seem as grand.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_iQZiVD_zA

A more apt theme.

Kano
21-05-2012, 09:25 PM

I agree with all of that, except that hating our rivals success is part and parcel of being a fan. To whinge about the money and football being dead etc is complete nonsense but whether we are also winning or losing, I never want our rivals to do well. At the moment the bitterness toward them is at its most intense but it swings in roundabouts over time, so soon enough the shoe will be on the other foot.

Niall_Quinn
21-05-2012, 09:45 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_iQZiVD_zA

A more apt theme.

Such a fucking brilliant tune that. An anthem for the modern ****.

Letters
21-05-2012, 09:58 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ON-7v4qnHP8

tbh

fakeyank
25-05-2012, 11:36 PM
http://www.rediff.com/sports/report/uefa-platini-reviewing-champions-league-rule-tottenham-chelsea-blatter-fifa/20120524.htm

Spurs :lol:

:pal:

Injury Time
26-05-2012, 07:47 AM
http://www.rediff.com/sports/report/uefa-platini-reviewing-champions-league-rule-tottenham-chelsea-blatter-fifa/20120524.htm

Spurs :lol:

:pal:

"No, they have not been punished, they know the rules, they should have been third and not fourth, they could have finished first. Did they fight for first place?"
:haha: