PDA

View Full Version : Neaxt Season! Room for Optimism?

Lord Nelson
24-05-2012, 02:32 PM
I know that we have had a few years of dissapointment (Lack of trophies and spending etc). However, I feel there is room for optimism next season!

We have already bought Podolski, I honestly believe that we will keep RVP and make one or two big signings, perhaps one will be Hazard?

Also, we have Wiltshire, Arteta and Mertesecker coming back from injury.

Gibbs in my opinion is starting to show signs that he will become a class defender (remember the last ditch tackle against WBA on the last day)?

As we have qualified for the CL again, that will help the club pay for another chunk of the stadium!

So, IMHO, things are looking a little brighter!!

Party Time :partytime:
:faint:

GP
24-05-2012, 02:40 PM
Always optimistic. Not interested in that doom and gloom shit. What's the point?

Syn
24-05-2012, 02:43 PM
Always optimistic. Not interested in that doom and gloom shit. What's the point?

IMO.

V-Pig
24-05-2012, 02:46 PM
I agree with GP. But not Syn.

jelgoon
24-05-2012, 03:06 PM
Im optimistic - I think we will come fourth and get into the Champions League again. I think we will progress to the quarter finals of the CL where we will be beaten 8-0 at Real Madrid but will win the return leg 2-0 and show a lot of spirit. We will lose in the FA Cup to Chelsea with Drogba coming back on loan to head the winner after Vermalen tripped on his shoelace with five minutes to go.We will field a reserve team in the Carling Cup as our manager feels its important to bring through the youngsters - something that has paid dividends over the last 6 years.

Marc Overmars
24-05-2012, 03:51 PM
Keep RVP, make a couple more signings in the Podolski-quality bracket, then we're good to go.

fakeyank
24-05-2012, 05:28 PM
Hazards not coming, Wilshere is dead, Mertesacker is meh, RVP doesnt look like committing and Abou Diaby is still in the side.

Feck Ya! I am optimistic!

Özim
24-05-2012, 08:03 PM
I fully expect us to win the League, Champions League, FA Cup and Carling Cup, we'll no longer lack a little bit of sharpness, will show great mental strength and spirit and will no longer be 2% away from domination.

This summer once the waiting period is over, we will only sign super super quality players and I believe that with the players having one more year of experience they are ready!

This is without doubt the best group of players we've ever had.

Injury Time
24-05-2012, 08:14 PM
I fully expect us to win the League, Champions League, FA Cup and Carling Cup, we'll no longer lack a little bit of sharpness, will show great mental strength and spirit and will no longer be 2% away from domination.

This summer once the waiting period is over, we will only sign super super quality players and I believe that with the players having one more year of experience they are ready!

This is without doubt the best group of players we've ever had.
I'm sticking to Liverpool to win the quadruple domestic triple:trophy: we'll have to settle for Chumps League :sulk:

Ollie the Optimist
24-05-2012, 08:18 PM
there is more to have optimism in next season then there has been for a while. instead of having a team of indiduals who can be brilliant on there day and when they all click together we can be unstopable but when pressure on they go missing. we have a team who play together, play with pride and fight and never seem to give up. look at last season, worst start ever, slated by all and given no hope. what happened? we became the third best team in england. given where we started thats no mean feat at all.

my point is, next year we have the vast majority of players performing at a 7/10 level which is a good foundation, then we have some players like kos, rosicky, RVP and theo to some degree performing at 8/9. a real solid base with a few good players giving that extra that comes from great players. what i said above in ratings is exactly what happened in our run to third. a few good signings and there will be real hope

Özim
24-05-2012, 08:24 PM
In all likelyness next year will be the same as the last 6 years, we'll get knocked out of everything when we reach the latter stages and will come 3rd/4th and we'll have been very competitive in the managers head.

I don't believe anything will change, it never does, if the last 6 years hasn't taught you that, nothing will.

Ollie the Optimist
24-05-2012, 08:30 PM
In all likelyness next year will be the same as the last 6 years, we'll get knocked out of everything when we reach the latter stages and will come 3rd/4th and we'll have been very competitive in the managers head.

I don't believe anything will change, it never does, if the last 6 years hasn't taught you that, nothing will.

we didnt win anythiing for a bout 20 years in the 70/80s so whats your point? is football for you about winning trophies or do you enjoy the pride etc we gain from seasons like last?

ignoring the seassons before that because going so close then fucking up to 4th in a two horse race is a disgrace but last season we were completely written off, made almost one of the greatest comebacks in the game against Milan, came from our worst start ever with our worst team ever to beat the scum when all were talking about their title challenge and our failure to get into europe. i know we won fuck all last year and can see weight to the argument that playing less games cos we were out of everything meant we have a better chance to get third etc but didnt last season give you any hope? could you not see that something was massively different to the rest of the years before?

Özim
24-05-2012, 08:37 PM
we didnt win anythiing for a bout 20 years in the 70/80s so whats your point? is football for you about winning trophies or do you enjoy the pride etc we gain from seasons like last?

ignoring the seassons before that because going so close then fucking up to 4th in a two horse race is a disgrace but last season we were completely written off, made almost one of the greatest comebacks in the game against Milan, came from our worst start ever with our worst team ever to beat the scum when all were talking about their title challenge and our failure to get into europe. i know we won fuck all last year and can see weight to the argument that playing less games cos we were out of everything meant we have a better chance to get third etc but didnt last season give you any hope? could you not see that something was massively different to the rest of the years before?
Sorry but I don't find the sh*t we put out every season entertaining, it's predictable.

As for not winning for 20 years, maybe so but were the ticket prices the highest in the land and sky high? Big clubs are suppose to challenge and most of them have ambitions to, there was a comment from one of the people formerly at Liverpool recently. They said they got Houllier to get into the top 4 but then brought in Benitez to win the league and Champions league, they have ambition they're not just happy being a 4th place loser every season.

We got thrashed by Milan and didn't make the comeback, if we hadn't been so awful there wouldn't have been a comeback to make in the 1st place. The start in the league is irrelevant that's down to poor management, we shouldn't have been in that position, we did well enough to get 3rd but what does it actually really mean other than making up the numbers in the CL?

We got 3rd yes but Spurs bottled it big time, in no small part due to the speculation about Redknapp no doubt, the thing is though other teams aren't happy to stand still, they try to better themselves.

Ollie the Optimist
24-05-2012, 08:46 PM
Sorry but I don't find the sh*t we put out every season entertaining, it's predictable.

As for not winning for 20 years, maybe so but were the ticket prices the highest in the land and sky high? Big clubs are suppose to challenge and most of them have ambitions to, there was a comment from one of the people formerly at Liverpool recently. They said they got Houllier to get into the top 4 but then brought in Benitez to win the league and Champions league, they have ambition they're not just happy being a 4th place loser every season.

We got thrashed by Milan and didn't make the comeback, if we hadn't been so awful there wouldn't have been a comeback to make in the 1st place. The start in the league is irrelevant that's down to poor management, we shouldn't have been in that position, we did well enough to get 3rd but what does it actually really mean other than making up the numbers in the CL?

We got 3rd yes but Spurs bottled it big time, in no small part due to the speculation about Redknapp no doubt, the thing is though other teams aren't happy to stand still, they try to better themselves.

well yes it worked for a season or two when he won the league and cup but then what happened? they fucked up and are now 8th. hardly ambition now is it?

spurs botting it was done to us. they were miles clear, 13 points ahead and we were in free fall but we started winning, they got nervous and then we fucking hammered them at our place and they lost their nerve. they kept looking behind at us instead forward, we won, the lost because of the pressure our wins put on them. i dont see how you cant give us credit for their collapse.

in your arugment of making up the numbers in the CL, isnt that exactly what chelsea did this year in a way? they were the sixth best team in england, third best in london yet they won. its a cup competition and htis year we did better then both manchester clubs and they're winners so the making up the numbers is not a fair accusation.

yes it was a poor start but surely you can credit us for coming back from that?

Özim
24-05-2012, 09:04 PM
well yes it worked for a season or two when he won the league and cup but then what happened? they fucked up and are now 8th. hardly ambition now is it?

spurs botting it was done to us. they were miles clear, 13 points ahead and we were in free fall but we started winning, they got nervous and then we fucking hammered them at our place and they lost their nerve. they kept looking behind at us instead forward, we won, the lost because of the pressure our wins put on them. i dont see how you cant give us credit for their collapse.

in your arugment of making up the numbers in the CL, isnt that exactly what chelsea did this year in a way? they were the sixth best team in england, third best in london yet they won. its a cup competition and htis year we did better then both manchester clubs and they're winners so the making up the numbers is not a fair accusation.

yes it was a poor start but surely you can credit us for coming back from that?
The point is big clubs don't stand still, they don't settle for 4th place like we do, they look for progression hence the comments from the former Liverpool guy.

Spurs bottled it no doubt, but the Redknapp situation affected them IMO.

Chelsea weren't making up the numbers for one simple reason, they had top players who could raise their game, can defeat a lead and had grit, determination and desire. We make up the numbers as we have none of those, you could never see us with our backs against the wall coming through and winning, we'd concede goals as we always do, or make a mistake at a key time, it's a trait of Wenger teams of today.

Credit for coming back but after 6 years just not good enough I'm afraid.

selassie
24-05-2012, 09:35 PM
Realistically we're probably the 4th best team in the country, I'm optimistic we'll finish 4th, anything else is a bonus. Honestly...I don't expect us to win anything.

Niall_Quinn
24-05-2012, 10:00 PM
Realistically we're probably the 4th best team in the country, I'm optimistic we'll finish 4th, anything else is a bonus. Honestly...I don't expect us to win anything.

In reality we are the 3rd best team in the country.

selassie
24-05-2012, 10:04 PM
In reality we are the 3rd best team in the country.

Sure, I'm not so confident of finishing 3rd next season and to be honest, I'd much rather have had Chelsea's season. I'd happily trade 3rd place for 6th if it meant winning CL.

Cripps_orig
24-05-2012, 10:36 PM
People saying us signing Podolski now hence having him early is a positive.

We bought Gervinho early last summer.

Need i say more?

fakeyank
24-05-2012, 10:51 PM
We bought chamakh early too.. :yikes:

Ollie the Optimist
24-05-2012, 11:46 PM
The point is big clubs don't stand still, they don't settle for 4th place like we do, they look for progression hence the comments from the former Liverpool guy.

Spurs bottled it no doubt, but the Redknapp situation affected them IMO.

Chelsea weren't making up the numbers for one simple reason, they had top players who could raise their game, can defeat a lead and had grit, determination and desire. We make up the numbers as we have none of those, you could never see us with our backs against the wall coming through and winning, we'd concede goals as we always do, or make a mistake at a key time, it's a trait of Wenger teams of today.

Credit for coming back but after 6 years just not good enough I'm afraid.

where was this in the league then? 6th best in the england, fucked up a three goal lead at home to united for one, lost to us and conceded 5 even after they have just equlaised in the 80 odd minute. the CL are cup games, they got lucky, anyone can win the odd game but over the season those traits did not come out when needed imo. in the league you ahve to win to acheive, in the cup games you can defend and nick it on penalties.

also against barca and bayern, it wasnt great defending at all, they got hammered but somehow bayern couldnt finish. both games the sides missed penalties which would have most likely meant curtains for chelsea, thats not good defending thats pure luck

hobson's choice
25-05-2012, 02:06 AM

This, and it pains to have this opinion

hobson's choice
25-05-2012, 02:10 AM
also against barca and bayern, it wasnt great defending at all, they got hammered but somehow bayern couldnt finish. both games the sides missed penalties which would have most likely meant curtains for chelsea, thats not good defending thats pure luck

In all reality they didn't get hammered at all, how many real chances did Barca and Bayern actually have, Cech didn't even make that many saves for all the shots Bayern and Barca had. Having possession doesn't equal hammering

Japan Shaking All Over
25-05-2012, 03:45 AM
Optimistic
As many have said, we need to strengthen and get rid of the free boaters

Master Splinter
25-05-2012, 03:54 AM
Optimistic
As many have said, we need to strengthen and get rid of the free boaters

Free boaters?

Is that who Bergkamp used when he was too much of a pussy to fly?

Joker
25-05-2012, 02:01 PM
We'll do the bare minimum to get into the Champions League, and that's about it. And then next season we'll have the same argument with people pointing out the positives from the season (maybe recovering after another terrible Wenger-manufactured start) and saying that we should use that as a springboard to better things (which I've heard for the last 5 years).

Unless Usmanov comes in, we'll continue to stagnate.

Niall_Quinn
25-05-2012, 02:44 PM
We'll do the bare minimum to get into the Champions League, and that's about it. And then next season we'll have the same argument with people pointing out the positives from the season (maybe recovering after another terrible Wenger-manufactured start) and saying that we should use that as a springboard to better things (which I've heard for the last 5 years).

Unless Usmanov comes in, we'll continue to stagnate.

Stagnating in 3rd :bow:

The "gentlemen" who own the club won't spend money. So what are you going to do about a couple of clubs above us (and a few below) who regularly splash the cash? There was never a level playing field but now the balance has been hopelessly tilted in favour of a small number of clubs that spend their way to success. I'm looking forward to seeing Jack come back next season, for Ox to develop, to see how Podolski does, to watch Ches develope, to see if Kos can keep up the standards he's set and maybe strike up an effective partnership with Merts or TV, to see if Gibbs kicks on, to (hopefully and fucking fingers and toes crossed) watch an RvP Podolski partnership, to see Chamakh go. If city want to spend billions buying everything then let's call that out of reach for now and focus on some of the stuff within our power that should add up to at least an interesting season.

I have given up being angry at those absolute fucking shitbag ****ish piss bollock whore leech vermin bastards fuck **** bastards in the board room. Honest I have (the ****s). They'll do whatever the hell they want to do, as has been demonstrated for years now. But I still want to support the club so I'll focus in on the good stuff and put up with the rest of it. Things change in footie, our turn will come around again.

Ollie the Optimist
26-05-2012, 02:00 PM
In all reality they didn't get hammered at all, how many real chances did Barca and Bayern actually have, Cech didn't even make that many saves for all the shots Bayern and Barca had. Having possession doesn't equal hammering

they each missed a penalty. thats luck, they missed several good chances that had nothing to do with good defending. the chavs got lucky no doubt about it

Cripps_orig
26-05-2012, 02:02 PM
Id love Arsenal to get that lucky

hobson's choice
26-05-2012, 02:08 PM
they each missed a penalty. thats luck, they missed several good chances that had nothing to do with good defending. the chavs got lucky no doubt about it

Of course there was some slight luck in involved, but that's part of the game, chances are missed in every game. But in my humble opinion they didn't get hammered. Yeah Bayern and Barca dominated the ball, but they didn't create much.

Niall_Quinn
26-05-2012, 03:34 PM
The chavs demonstrated it is much easier to destroy a game of football than create it.

Ollie the Optimist
26-05-2012, 03:37 PM
Of course there was some slight luck in involved, but that's part of the game, chances are missed in every game. But in my humble opinion they didn't get hammered. Yeah Bayern and Barca dominated the ball, but they didn't create much.

i thought they did imo but i can hardly remember the barca game but also its shit for football where a club just stands on the goal line and tries to nick a goal to win it. thats hardly football

Master Splinter
26-05-2012, 03:37 PM
Barca hit the post a few times, along with Sanchez and Tactregas missing glaring sitters. Barca seemed to run out of ideas towards the end of the Nou Camp leg, but they had enough chances to win about three dozen games.

If luck is an actual thing, it was definitely on Chelsea's side during the semi-final games.

Gomez and Robben messed up about thirty chances each in the final as well, though I suppose they have previous for that.