PDA

View Full Version : My take on the summer so far

WilshereourGHEL
15-06-2012, 08:35 AM
With podolski already in the bag and giroud all but certain to come so far its a good summer and something we have not known wenger to do sign players we are generally excited about and think can do a job from the off and if the rumors of m'villa are true it seems he is trying to build a squad to compete not a squad with one shining light that will hopefully carry us through difficult period i think the biggest challenge is keeping the current players that are genuinely good enough and it has always been wengers problem for the past few year if he continues with these signings and keeps current players i will be genuinely happy about the summer and fairly optimistic on how next season will pan out i still feel if giroud and m'vila come true that we will need to make a few squad signings just so we are not on bare bones after a few injuries that happen in a season

SO all in all keep it up wenger and you will have fans happy again and on your side few signings and keep current stars and we will win something

Kano
15-06-2012, 08:55 AM
.....aaaannnd breathe

punctuation is your friend

LDG
15-06-2012, 09:05 AM
.....aaaannnd breathe

punctuation is your friend

Nobody is your friend.

Kano
15-06-2012, 09:35 AM
my right hand is my best bud

server too busy!
15-06-2012, 10:04 AM
If we do get M'Vila and Giroud, I still think we need maybe Vertonghen and an AM. Last season we were a bit flat at times and relied on Song to create things, and I'm not entirely convinced Wilshere is the player to take on the responsibility.

Niall_Quinn
15-06-2012, 11:11 AM
Don't know if it's pure coincidence but this is the first summer Kroenke has genuinely been at the helm rather than in some transition period waiting for the old farts to leave or die. If we do end up keeping RvP and signing 2-3 quality players then we'll know all we need to know about the "gentlemen" who just sold out.

So RvP gone and two inferior replacements, probably. Even so, at least something is happening this year. Usually we are sitting here talking about all the other teams.

Japan Shaking All Over
19-06-2012, 09:34 AM
OK so talk now is that Giourd is on board. . .there is noise from the M'Vila camp too, albeit paper generated.

If we were to bring him in at least then I will be happy. I still think we could do with cover for Sagna and Ches, Dzageov would be a bonus but I think we are set for attackers now.

The best thing about this is that we are potentially going into the pre-season with our business complete. . .the team can train, go on tour together, although extended holidays may be offered to those that go deep into the Euros and generally be more ready than we were last season.

Added bonus is that we shouldnt have as mich crap floating around as we did with Cescbo! Just need to sort out RvP!

Flavs
19-06-2012, 09:38 AM
I would be tempted to sign a right back and send Jenkinson out on loan for a season tbh. I just hope Sagna leg isn't the new Diaby's ankle.

We still need to clear out some shit, i would even be tempted to take a "nominal fee" or just free transfer the buggers

Coney
19-06-2012, 10:53 AM
I would be tempted to sign a right back and send Jenkinson out on loan for a season tbh. I just hope Sagna leg isn't the new Diaby's ankle.

We still need to clear out some shit, i would even be tempted to take a "nominal fee" or just free transfer the buggers

Just get shot of them from the wage bill which is a long term serious grind. If we get a few bob, fine, but just lose the failures and dross so we focus on the good guys. Keeping someone on (say) 30K a week is £1.5M - given there are some crap ones on probably more than that, hanging around for a couple of years - it's a lot of dosh. Plus if they are crap and being kept on, what does that say to the good guys and the decent youngsters hoping to get into the team?

jelgoon
19-06-2012, 12:35 PM
Maybe we should try to keep Bendtner after all. He looked quite good at the Euros. I guess its more down to whether he wants to stay without a guarantee of first team football.

GP
19-06-2012, 12:41 PM
Maybe we should try to keep Bendtner after all. He looked quite good at the Euros. I guess its more down to whether he wants to stay without a guarantee of first team football.

We don't need him now.

Also, he's a dick.

Letters
19-06-2012, 12:56 PM
Bendner's found his level.
He's had a good Euro 2012 but he's hardly been courted by the European elite.
He's a decent enough player who can do a job at the level he's ended up at, that's all.

Japan Shaking All Over
19-06-2012, 01:13 PM

No we shouldnt.
I agree that there times when he was played out of position but that still doesnt disguise the fact that he puts in performances a la Euros fair too infrequently especially at club level. . .decent enough to lead the line at Sunderland, for us no

Marc Overmars
19-06-2012, 01:16 PM
Bendtner is shit but out of all our deadwood, he should have his pick of suitors, at least I hope, because he's not a bad signing on paper.

selassie
19-06-2012, 01:30 PM
Fair play to Arsene, he seems to be determined to get his signings in relatively early this summer and with Podolski already signed and Giroud immiment things are looking good.

Flavs
19-06-2012, 01:36 PM
Bendtner is shit but out of all our deadwood, he should have his pick of suitors, at least I hope, because he's not a bad signing on paper.

I am surprised he hasnt become a target for Villa and their new manager...that bloke from Norwich with the glasses.

Boss
19-06-2012, 01:42 PM
No we shouldnt.
I agree that there times when he was played out of position but that still doesnt disguise the fact that he puts in performances a la Euros fair too infrequently especially at club level. . .decent enough to lead the line at Sunderland, for us no

That's what you get when you play a 6 foot 5 striker on the wing and don't cross to him, tbf.

Letters
19-06-2012, 01:55 PM
That's what you get when you play a 6 foot 5 striker on the wing and don't cross to him, tbf.
True. That was weird. 8 goals in 31 games at Sunderland though. It's hardly sparkling, admittedly in a poorer team.

There's hardly been a scramble over him from Barca and Real. He's decent enough but nothing special.

Boss
19-06-2012, 04:04 PM
He was their top scorer and scored the same amount as Sessegnon (a player who most people on here jizz over on a weekly basis and who plays just behind the striker) while starting 12 games less.

If Hernandez, Welbeck, Sturridge, Dzeko, Berbatov went on the market tomorrow Real / Barca wouldn't bat an eyelid, that's irrelevant to the fact that they can / are decent squad players to have. Unfortunately Bendtner doesn't have a good relationship with the club (partly brought about himself by his arrogance) but I'd much rather see him in an Arsenal shirt than dogshite like Park and/or Chamakh.

He will be missed :rose:

GP
19-06-2012, 04:08 PM
He was their top scorer and scored the same amount as Sessegnon (a player who most people on here jizz over on a weekly basis and who plays just behind the striker) while starting 12 games less.

I only think one person was jizzing over Sessegnon (I can't even remember who, but someone with a track record of being wrong)

I wouldn't want him either.

Bendtner has no future here. For himself and the club, it's time to make like a tree and get out of here.

Letters
19-06-2012, 04:11 PM
He got 2 more goals than Vermaelen :bow:

:sarcy:

Letters
19-06-2012, 04:12 PM
Bendtner has no future here. For himself and the club, it's time to make like a tree and get out of here.
:good:

He's as much use as a screen door on a battleship

fakeyank
19-06-2012, 04:56 PM

If Hernandez, Welbeck, Sturridge, Dzeko, Berbatov went on the market tomorrow Real / Barca wouldn't bat an eyelid, that's irrelevant to the fact that they can / are decent squad players to have. Unfortunately Bendtner doesn't have a good relationship with the club (partly brought about himself by his arrogance) but I'd much rather see him in an Arsenal shirt than dogshite like Park and/or Chamakh.

:gp:

Bendy is a good player and if played in position at an attacking team like Arsenal will bag 20+ goals every season, easy. Playing him on the wings is of no use, just like playing Eduardo on the wings.

I wouldnt criticize Park or Chamakh a lot either. Park looked lively in the couple of games he played but was never given a run in the team even when Gervinho and Theo did nothing of note! Chamakh IMO is still a decent striker when played with another striker but he is clearly not Arsenal level.

Power n Glory
19-06-2012, 05:04 PM

Sessegnon is an attacking midfield player and not a striker. He has the ability to dribble and pass and I think he's better than Gervinho. We should have signed him ages ago when he was at PSG.

Bendy is a great back up striker. 10+ goals a season is always guaranteed with him. But he wants first team football and we can't provide that. He's inconsistent with his touches and finishing sometimes but I'd have him in the squad over Chamakh. Can't really speak about Park because he never had a chance.

GP
19-06-2012, 06:05 PM
Oh yeah :lol:

Bergkampwonderland10
19-06-2012, 07:33 PM
:gp:

Bendy is a good player and if played in position at an attacking team like Arsenal will bag 20+ goals every season, easy. Playing him on the wings is of no use, just like playing Eduardo on the wings.

I wouldnt criticize Park or Chamakh a lot either. Park looked lively in the couple of games he played but was never given a run in the team even when Gervinho and Theo did nothing of note! Chamakh IMO is still a decent striker when played with another striker but he is clearly not Arsenal level.

The reason Arsene Wenger didn't bid against Liverpool for the signature of Fernando Torres back in 2007/8 or so was because we had 'Bendtner' coming through and he wanted to give him his chance - hmmm look how that turned out...had we signed Torres (with Van Persie out injured all the time) , I'm pretty sure we would have won something since 2005. Not that I blame only Bendtner for that...but he is one of the laziest players I've ever seen. He has no work ethic yet...maybe it will come under another manager...but I doubt it. I am hoping for a big transfer fee for him - so that he at least repays some of the investment we've wasted with training him.

He's said he'll never play for us again and frankly I never want to see him an Arsenal shirt again after that comment.

Shaqiri Is Boss
19-06-2012, 07:37 PM
The reason Arsene Wenger didn't bid against Liverpool for the signature of Fernando Torres back in 2007/8.

You dodged a bullet :good:

GP
19-06-2012, 07:43 PM
The reason Arsene Wenger didn't bid against Liverpool for the signature of Fernando Torres back in 2007/8 or so was because we had 'Bendtner' coming through and he wanted to give him his chance - hmmm look how that turned out...had we signed Torres (with Van Persie out injured all the time) , I'm pretty sure we would have won something since 2005. Not that I blame only Bendtner for that...but he is one of the laziest players I've ever seen. He has no work ethic yet...maybe it will come under another manager...but I doubt it. I am hoping for a big transfer fee for him - so that he at least repays some of the investment we've wasted with training him.

He's said he'll never play for us again and frankly I never want to see him an Arsenal shirt again after that comment.

Eh?

Do you honestly believe we'd have even tried to outbid Liverpool?

What was it, £20m?

Bergkampwonderland10
19-06-2012, 08:29 PM
Eh?

What was it, £20m?

Seem to remember us paying around 18million for some unknown spanish kid called Reyes or something...so yep.

GP
19-06-2012, 08:31 PM
Seem to remember us paying around 18million for some unknown spanish kid called Reyes or something...so yep.

£12m

Nice try though.

Bergkampwonderland10
19-06-2012, 08:33 PM
Eh?

What was it, £20m?

Pretty sure Reyes was close to 20million...here...
http://footballcommentator.blogspot.no/2007/06/liverpool-preparing-striker-swap-to.html

Boss
19-06-2012, 08:35 PM
Reyes was 10.5M rising to 17M depending on appearances, trophies etc. We eventually ended up paying around 13M.

We might have been interested in Torres but once we found out his price there was no chance of us signing him.

Letters
19-06-2012, 08:52 PM
Chamakh IMO is still a decent striker when played with another striker but he is clearly not Arsenal level.
That's how I feel Bendy tbh. He's OK, I just don't think he's up to our level.
He doesn't help himself by shouting his mouth off about how brilliant he is. I like a bit of confidence but there's a line between that and delusion and he crosses it IMO.

Power n Glory
19-06-2012, 09:22 PM
We missed out on plenty of signings because we wanted to give kids like Bendy, Denilson, Diaby and co a chance for the first team. Now all of a sudden we're starting to sign players like Gervinho, Santos, Arteta, Podolski..etc because it's been made perfectly clear that those guys aren't good enough for the first team and we're starting to find experienced players for reasonable fees like we used to.

She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
19-06-2012, 11:12 PM
We missed out on plenty of signings because we wanted to give kids like Bendy, Denilson, Diaby and co a chance for the first team. Now all of a sudden we're starting to sign players like Gervinho, Santos, Arteta, Podolski..etc because it's been made perfectly clear that those guys aren't good enough for the first team and we're starting to find experienced players for reasonable fees like we used to.

that alongside the fact he's only got 2 years left on his contract means wenger wants as many trophies as he can get before he fucks off so fans at least remember him as being successful instead of being the person who took us to degeneration.

Japan Shaking All Over
20-06-2012, 03:00 AM
That's how I feel Bendy tbh. He's OK, I just don't think he's up to our level.
He doesn't help himself by shouting his mouth off about how brilliant he is. I like a bit of confidence but there's a line between that and delusion and he crosses it IMO.

I agree with this and I agree with some of what FY says.

Although I doubt we would see 20 from Nic if he lead the line as it would be enougj for the team. He doesnt make enough for himself and we dont have the support in terms of goals from other areas. I am talking about Nic playing without RvP of course.

Chamkh does need to play alongside another but his worth is finished as his confidence is shot to pieces

Park is the mystery, what the hell was going on in that bit of oak and dagger business. He has not been given a chance so people saying he is shit is a bit unfair but the signing does not seem to have been for footballing reasons nor do I thonk it was to generate shirt sales in asia /@MS Korea not Japan)

We were never going to break even in one season that amounted to a handful of appeatances! nor are we going to as the guy is obviously history as should the other two be. Time to sgip them out and bring in replacements as we are doing, simple

Flavs
20-06-2012, 07:20 AM
Bendtner thrives in a team with a deep defence and good wide men who can cross the ball

That isn't us so adiós

Japan Shaking All Over
21-06-2012, 01:48 PM
For once Wenger's high line works!!!