PDA

View Full Version : Walcott

WilshereourGHEL
16-06-2012, 05:27 PM
I hope theo is a man of his word remember him saying this last night

“I didn’t know I had that sort of Ronaldo dip in me so I should try it more often.

yes theo if the end result will be that...this boy centrally would be awesome

Özil's Panoramic View
16-06-2012, 07:07 PM
Venger will prove he's better out wide

fakeyank
16-06-2012, 07:19 PM
He will definitely have that dip when he scores a freekick for Chelsea against us

Power n Glory
16-06-2012, 07:44 PM
Theo's got to tell Wenger to play him as a striker or move on. Wenger tried to convince Flamini he was a left back but he told Flams wouldn't accept that position. He tried the same with Song by playing him as a centre back, and let's not forget Eboue.

Xhaka Can’t
16-06-2012, 07:52 PM
I'll never forget.

He can speak Korean!

Niall_Quinn
16-06-2012, 08:52 PM
Theo played very well last night. Wenger out!

Tipsychubbs
16-06-2012, 09:07 PM
It was your typical super sub pace against tired defence thing, he wasn't earth shattering, seen it all before.

Stick him up front like Michael Owen not on the wing to really show his worth.

Niall_Quinn
16-06-2012, 09:12 PM
Nah, he played well by his standards. No running into defenders or crossing to the first defender. He managed to dispense with the frustrating side of his game for a few minutes and that was enough.

Marc Overmars
16-06-2012, 09:16 PM
He's going to demand 120k a week and come back a billy big bollocks after hanging around with all his Little Englanders.

Xhaka Can’t
16-06-2012, 09:18 PM
Pretty much.

We should cash in.

Niall_Quinn
16-06-2012, 09:20 PM
Pretty much.

We should cash in.

New Yacht for Stan :bow:

fakeyank
16-06-2012, 10:13 PM
Pretty much.

We should cash in.

:gp:

Straight swap for Mata

milla
16-06-2012, 10:52 PM
:gp:

Straight swap for Messi

fakeyank :bow:

Kano
17-06-2012, 01:30 PM
his best position will always be out wide, as it gives him the maximum amount of space to run into; either out wide or cutting in. his final ball has improved a lot this season and in a world of slow motion replays, over analysis he suffers because everyone hopes for a playstation moment or end product every time he has the ball out wide. pleased for him the other night and hope he stays but given some of unfair stick he has taken by us lot, i wouldn't blame him for clearing off.

Xhaka Can’t
17-06-2012, 03:33 PM
his best position will always be out wide, as it gives him the maximum amount of space to run into; either out wide or cutting in. his final ball has improved a lot this season and in a world of slow motion replays, over analysis he suffers because everyone hopes for a playstation moment or end product every time he has the ball out wide. pleased for him the other night and hope he stays but given some of unfair stick he has taken by us lot, i wouldn't blame him for clearing off.

I don't care if he does clear off - but as for stick, I can't for the life of me think of a group of fans remaining so patient for so long with such an incredible let down.

Letters
17-06-2012, 06:21 PM
Theo's had the ability to put in that sort of performance for some time.
What he's lacked is any consistency.

Power n Glory
17-06-2012, 06:50 PM
I don't care if he does clear off - but as for stick, I can't for the life of me think of a group of fans remaining so patient for so long with such an incredible let down.

Expectations need to be put into check. Not every 16 year old is going to turn into a superstar, especially when learning a new position that isn't natural for him.

How many promising young players has Wenger brought to the club that have ended up doing nothing? There are more flops than success stories. Theo is Cesc, but he's no Vela, Merida, Bentley or JET.

Xhaka Can’t
17-06-2012, 07:02 PM
Expectations need to be put into check. Not every 16 year old is going to turn into a superstar, especially when learning a new position that isn't natural for him.

How many promising young players has Wenger brought to the club that have ended up doing nothing? There are more flops than success stories. Theo is Cesc, but he's no Vela, Merida, Bentley or JET.

Don't know how you read that into my post. I don't know at all.

I have stated in reply to a post that a lot of patience by a vast majority of the fans has been shown to Theo.

Power n Glory
17-06-2012, 07:10 PM
Don't know how you read that into my post. I don't know at all.

I have stated in reply to a post that a lot of patience by a vast majority of the fans has been shown to Theo.

If you say he's been a let down then obviously there is an issue with expectations.

Xhaka Can’t
17-06-2012, 07:20 PM
If you say he's been a let down then obviously there is an issue with expectations.

Nothing to indicate this superstar expectation you talk of.

My expectation level for him has always been some ways south of 'superstar'.

Power n Glory
17-06-2012, 07:34 PM
Nothing to indicate this superstar expectation you talk of.

My expectation level for him has always been some ways south of 'superstar'.

Well how about a comparison to the many other 16 year olds we see come and go at Arsenal? As said, many just don't make it at this level and get shipped off to lower leagues or smaller clubs.

Xhaka Can’t
17-06-2012, 07:45 PM
Well how about a comparison to the many other 16 year olds we see come and go at Arsenal? As said, many just don't make it at this level and get shipped off to lower leagues or smaller clubs.

Jesus, I'm not talking about his play 7 years ago.

Just accept you got it wrong and kill yourself.

Power n Glory
17-06-2012, 07:48 PM

Just accept you got it wrong and kill yourself.

Well make your fecking points more clear and explain or feck off!

Letters
17-06-2012, 07:49 PM

Just accept you got it wrong and kill yourself.You're embracing your new non-modness, I see.

Expectations were way too high initially because of all the press hype. Most Arsenal fans were far more realistic but Walcott hasn't consistently delivered as much as was hoped even allowing for that. He is still relatively young but already Oxo is looking more like the player we all hoped Walcott would be.

Xhaka Can’t
17-06-2012, 07:49 PM
Well make your fecking points more clear and explain or feck off!

I'll fuck off if you kill yourself, but you'll have to take out GP first.

OK?

Letters
17-06-2012, 07:50 PM
I'll fuck off if you kill yourself, but you'll have to take out GP first.

OK?
And people say the football debate on here is no good.

GW :bow:

Xhaka Can’t
17-06-2012, 07:51 PM
You're embracing your new non-modness, I see.

Expectations were way too high initially because of all the press hype. Most Arsenal fans were far more realistic but Walcott hasn't consistently delivered as much as was hoped even allowing for that. He is still relatively young but already Oxo is looking more like the player we all hoped Walcott would be.

The point is simply this.

Arsenal fans have shown a lot of patience for Walcott.

Xhaka Can’t
17-06-2012, 07:52 PM
And people say the football debate on here is no good.

GW :bow:

I've changed my mind.

Leave GP alone and get this chump.

He lives on top of a chip shop.

Power n Glory
17-06-2012, 07:52 PM
You're embracing your new non-modness, I see.

At 16 he was hailed as the next Rooney and Henry. Before he even kicked a ball for us. Expectation levels were too high and of he'd have been signer up as just another one of Wenger's kids, perceptions would probably be different.

Xhaka Can’t
17-06-2012, 07:57 PM
At 16 he was hailed as the next Rooney and Henry. Before he even kicked a ball for us. Expectation levels were too high and of he'd have been signer up as just another one of Wenger's kids, perceptions would probably be different.

Over the full 7 year period, there were initial high expectations, they then became expectations, with a lot of patience. Now, I just hope for a performance that isn't brainless and we don't always get that.

He is better than the bulk of his performances and I think the main problem now is people have from last season really lost patience with the inconsistency that he shows.

Letters
17-06-2012, 07:59 PM
Hailed by who? The press, maybe. They always fawn over any new English player who is showing promise.
I don't think any sensible Arsenal players expected him to be that good, but he's not lived up to our (much lower) expectations and as GB's said people have been far more patient with him than they would a foreign player.

He's shown some promise, he needs to get more consistent but he could be a very useful player for us. I guess he already is to an extent but his lack of consistency is a worry. He's getting to the age now where he should be far more consistent than he's been.

Power n Glory
17-06-2012, 08:10 PM
Hailed by who? The press, maybe. They always fawn over any new English player who is showing promise.
I don't think any sensible Arsenal players expected him to be that good, but he's not lived up to our (much lower) expectations and as GB's said people have been far more patient with him than they would a foreign player.

He's shown some promise, he needs to get more consistent but he could be a very useful player for us. I guess he already is to an extent but his lack of consistency is a worry. He's getting to the age now where he should be far more consistent than he's been.

By the press and Wenger. His career has been pretty stop start and over time fan expectations have been adjusted and that's probably the reason why their has been patience because since he's been here he's hardly played a full season. We seen flashes of brilliance but also real awful performances. But he's a kid still. He's played more over the past two seasons without a serious injury and to be fair his return has been just as good and better than older players that are more experienced and technically better.

Letters
17-06-2012, 08:17 PM
OK. I was going to pick you up on Wenger but fair enough:

http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archive/wenger-walcott-is-developing-ahead-of-messsi

:lol:

I don't think the fans ever thought that though. As for being a kid, he is 23. Still relatively young but old enough that he should be getting more consistent but I take the point about injuries which have hampered his progress. There are flashes of real ability.

The game that sums him up is the Spurs one. First half he stunk up the place and he really should have been substituted at half time. Wenger kept him on and he scored 2 goals!

Power n Glory
17-06-2012, 08:33 PM
Considering his age, I think his numbers and performances are on par with all of our other wide players. Recent wide players anyway. Nasri, Arshavin, Gervinho, Rosicky, Hleb, Eboue, heck even Reyes...every single one of them have struggled to find consistency. But Theo, with all his faults still manages to equal or better their goal tally and assists records. On most big games he shows up as well. Doesn't go missing. That's why I give him a lot of credit and I don't consider him to be a natural winger either. Seen guys like Eboue, Diaby, Eduardo etc look totally toothless when played out there. To do what he's doing is pretty impressive.

Kano
17-06-2012, 08:37 PM

an incredible let down that has scored 24 goals and 22 assists in the last two seasons from out wide - pretty comparable to nani at old trafford. god knows what end product fans expect from him then.

Cripps_orig
17-06-2012, 08:38 PM
an incredible let down that has scored 24 goals and 22 assists in the last two seasons from out wide - pretty comparable to nani at old trafford. god knows what end product fans expect from him then.Stop speaking sense.

Xhaka Can’t
17-06-2012, 08:40 PM
an incredible let down that has scored 24 goals and 22 assists in the last two seasons from out wide - pretty comparable to nani at old trafford. god knows what end product fans expect from him then.

You're right, he is wonderful and we got on his back right away for no reason.

Power n Glory
17-06-2012, 08:41 PM

Good numbers and big performances against some of the biggest teams. This is the first time in his career where he hasn't been hit with an injury that takes him out for half a season.

Kano
17-06-2012, 08:42 PM
You're right, he is wonderful and we got on his back right away for no reason.
well argued against that specific point. nothing sarcastic and pointless about what you said at all.

Xhaka Can’t
17-06-2012, 08:45 PM
He hit a purple patch from February - from the 2nd half against Spurs to be precise.

I'd love him to keep at or around that level - again, my point has been about TT's post I replied to - over his career here, the fans have shown a lot of patience with him and we don't deserve for him to walk away at the first sign of him delivering.

Xhaka Can’t
17-06-2012, 08:46 PM
well argued against that specific point. nothing sarcastic and pointless about what you said at all.

Your original point is utter balls - implying he'd be right to leave when he has received by and large - immense support and patience - hardly deserving of us to have him bugger off at the first sign of him delivering.

Kano
17-06-2012, 08:49 PM
He hit a purple patch from February - from the 2nd half against Spurs to be precise.

I'd love him to keep at or around that level - again, my point has been about TT's post I replied to - over his career here, the fans have shown a lot of patience with him and we don't deserve for him to walk away at the first sign of him delivering.
he has been - for the past two seasons. even by the time it got to feb he had about 8 or so assists.

that patience is the minimum expected when watching a player develop through his teenage years and since he hit 21 he has taken big strides, as the stats show. yet sky footbal mean we haven't got time to wait, he should become the player we expect before his time. very few players 'make it' so early. although the ever increasing frustration amongst fans about the club continues to funnel through walcott for example, when in fact he has been one of few that has contributed to us staying alive in the top four.

taking all that into account, he might well look at the club in general and think 'fuck me if i'm going to keep getting this hassle when i don't deserve it'.

Xhaka Can’t
17-06-2012, 08:52 PM
he has been - for the past two seasons. even by the time it got to feb he had about 8 or so assists.

that patience is the minimum expected when watching a player develop through his teenage years and since he hit 21 he has taken big strides, as the stats show. although the ever increasing frustration amongst fans about the club continues to funnel through walcott for example, when in fact he has been one of few that has contributed to us staying alive in the top four.

taking all that into account, he might well look at the club in general and think 'fuck me if i'm going to keep getting this hassle when i don't deserve it'.

Minimum expected?

He had his name shouted from the fucking rafters every time he managed not to lose a ball or run into a stationary player - for years.

A lot of players - an awful lot of players would bite their fucking hands off for the support Walcott has got.

Kano
17-06-2012, 08:56 PM
yes, supporting a teenage player through his teenage years is the minimum we should do as a fan. if he develops into a nothing past 21/22 then sure, write him off. but he has now developed into a key player for the team.

i'm not sure why we deserve a pat on the back for supporting a young player through those years. to continue to write him off now is just ridiculous.

Joker
17-06-2012, 09:01 PM
He is an incredibly frustrating player a lot of the time, especially given that he's technically quite mediocre and we've had some players like Pires in the past who were technically fantastic. However, his stats last season were very good, and apart from RVP he was the only player contributing with goals/assists.

I think he should try to develop into a Ljungberg type player from out wide. Ljungberg was also not technically amazing, but his runs from the right wing and finishing was outstanding, and if Walcott can continue to develop his finishing and off the ball movement, while at the same time contributing enough with the ball, he'll become a very good player given his limits.

Xhaka Can’t
yes, supporting a teenage player through his teenage years is the minimum we should do as a fan. if he develops into a nothing past 21/22 then sure, write him off. but he has now developed into a key player for the team.

i'm not sure why we deserve a pat on the back for supporting a young player through those years. to continue to write him off now is just ridiculous.

You were implying he should leave.

He didn't just get support that you give a kid coming on for you - he got more sustained support, no matter what than I can recall any other player getting in similar circumstances.

THEO was sung around the ground repeatedly for the most minimal impact, and to suggest that after circa 7 years of support and development that he should fuck-off just as he shows signs of delivering is the only thing I have issue with.

She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
people say they want more creativity in the final third and that we've been lacking any real vigour when we attack this season but at the same time they want us to sell a winger who's been at the top of our goals/assists chart for a number of seasons. he may be inconsistent throughout the season but he's consistent at providing assists, and in a team that overdoes tippy tappy football and i personally feel is generally one dimensional, selling theo would be a huge mistake as he can completely change a game (as we saw the other night). what kind of message does it send out if we sell a player who's provided the most assists for us over the past few years, especially at such a young age? he's the type of player that could really haunt us in the future if we decide to sell him because i can only see him improving at another club. with ox coming into the frame it provides theo interesting competition as he used to be the first name on the team sheet, now he finds his position under threat. it will only help him get better and provide him an incentive to improve, much like the lehmann/almunia situation got the best out of almunia a few years back.

you cant expect to win trophies and league titles by constantly selling your best players, and whether people like it or not, theo is a very important player for us. he's still got plenty of time to improve so id rather stick it out and hope for the best rather than get rid and regret it further down the line.

Kano
17-06-2012, 09:08 PM
You were implying he should leave.

He didn't just get support that you give a kid coming on for you - he got more sustained support, no matter what than I can recall any other player getting in similar circumstances.

THEO was sung around the ground repeatedly for the most minimal impact, and to suggest that after circa 7 years of support and development that he should fuck-off just as he shows signs of delivering is the only thing I have issue with.
No from the very first post you quoted I indicated I wouldn't blame him if he wanted to - there is a difference.

he isn't showing signs, he IS delivering - why you can't see that I do not know.

Xhaka Can’t
17-06-2012, 09:13 PM
No from the very first post you quoted I indicated I wouldn't blame him if he wanted to - there is a difference.

he isn't showing signs, he IS delivering - why you can't see that I do not know.

I would blame him if he did - he has had massive support over the years, your post indicating otherwise is way off the mark. To suggest otherwise indicates you don't go to matches very often.

And yes, they are signs because in order to be assessed as delivering, you have to do it consistently. I've already pinpointed right from the half of the game where he started to do that.

Lets hope he keeps it up next season, because despite his limitations, he has some key weapons in his armoury and he needs to keep up this latest round of development. Him pissing off at the first sign of delivering and a fan understanding that is incomprehensible.

Kano
17-06-2012, 09:17 PM
again you've taken what you want from my post. he has also taken a lot of stick and continues to do so, which is spot on.

you pinpointed the tottenham game, when he was already well on the way to delivering early in the season before a dip in form.

him clearing off after too much unwarranted stick is something i wouldn't hold against him, whether you can get your head around that or not is none of my concern.

Xhaka Can’t
17-06-2012, 09:26 PM
again you've taken what you want from my post. he has also taken a lot of stick and continues to do so, which is spot on.

you pinpointed the tottenham game, when he was already well on the way to delivering early in the season before a dip in form.

him clearing off after too much unwarranted stick is something i wouldn't hold against him, whether you can get your head around that or not is none of my concern.

I have taken your post for what it stated.

What unwarranted stick?

He has throughout his stay had his name sung from the rafters....often for no reason other than being spotted in a tracksuit. I want him to do well and do well with us. But if he is going, I want the most we can get for him.

Suggesting he'd be somehow understood for pissing off for all this unwarranted stick that he did not get is what I have a problem with.

Kano
17-06-2012, 09:35 PM
the very fact you still only see signs shows the stick he has and continues to face.

all those goals and assists from anyone else would not pose a question of consistency.

Xhaka Can’t
17-06-2012, 09:50 PM
the very fact you still only see signs shows the stick he has and continues to face.

all those goals and assists from anyone else would not pose a question of consistency.

No it does not.

Opinions on a MB forum and support in a football stadium are two things pretty much entirely divorced from each other.

I'd like to see more than 3 months of what he can do. He is showing signs of what he can be for us, and as others have pointed out, he is 23 and he is even now not the finished article.

Kano
18-06-2012, 07:36 AM
Not really, opinions on a MB are more extreme versions of those expressed at a game.

He has shown more than 3 months. The fact you are so blinkered to say he has only shown 3 months after so many goals and assists shows you are not neutral but biased against him - which shows the crap he has had to face from over expectant supporters.

Xhaka Can’t
18-06-2012, 09:34 AM
You can't go to many games because you have no comprehension of the support he has received at the games nor do you have any understanding of the difference between discussion on a MB that contains about 50 active members and support at a match.

You are the one that is blinkered.

GP
18-06-2012, 09:47 AM
Non-mod GB :bow:

Kicking names and taking ass

Kano
18-06-2012, 10:00 AM
You can't go to many games because you have no comprehension of the support he has received at the games nor do you have any understanding of the difference between discussion on a MB that contains about 50 active members and support at a match.

You are the one that is blinkered.

i go every week and hear it all around me. you must've just woken up in the past three months.

what you continue to fail to separate is that i acknowledge he receives support but also a lot of unwarranted stick.

after all, we're basing it all on your three month assessment, pretty laughable and completely isolated against what he has done on the pitch.

we can do this all day on who hears what and when and the bottom line is end product from the player.

find me someone else in the prem with more goals and assists than his over the past two years and then we can talk properly.

Letters
18-06-2012, 10:10 AM
The stick he gets when he's playing poorly is warranted. He's inconsistent. As I said sometimes that inconsistency manifests itself in the same game (Spurs at home)

Xhaka Can’t
18-06-2012, 10:12 AM
For the sake of clarity, what have you been hearing every week?

Also, for the sake of clarity, his performance over the last three months of the seaon, was a step above anything previous.

And we aren't basing ANYTHING on my assessment of his performance. This goes back to your assessment of all the stick which I say, he hasn't been receiving.

He has received tremendous support throughout his time here with very little exception.

Kano
18-06-2012, 10:16 AM
i'm trying to keep the discussion objective rather than have to believe what either of us have or haven't heard.

and just like i thought, you've got nothing to offer there.

Marc Overmars
18-06-2012, 10:19 AM
The problem I find with Walnut is that I often forget he is on the pitch, but then he can suddenly find a bit of space and burst into life. That might be his only contribution in a game but it will be a telling one.

I can see why he divides opinion, when he's good he's really good, when he's bad, he's really bad.

Xhaka Can’t
18-06-2012, 10:30 AM
i'm trying to keep the discussion objective rather than have to believe what either of us have or haven't heard.

and just like i thought, you've got nothing to offer there.

No, you made an assertion that you haven't even attempted to support.

hope he stays but given some of unfair stick he has taken by us lot

That is what you said.

I'm saying that he has received a tremendous amount of support from the fans. Regardless of my individual opinion of his contribution, I and just about all the matchgoing public have supported him immensely throughout his time here. With few exceptions, every time he has come on the pitch, done anything on it, he has had his name sung out far in excess of that of his teammates.

I do think, we have seen a step change in his performance from February onwards, which I hope he maintains.

I can accept we'll differ on his level of contribution over the 7 years, but in terms of support received I just think you are wrong about that.

Kano
18-06-2012, 10:36 AM
which has been supplemented and I have attempted to clarify several timew since and you've been alinging onto thAt half sentence>

spurious at best.

let's clarify. walcott was booed in that first half against tottenham - he admits he heard it himself.

hes that bust app

jelgoon
18-06-2012, 11:04 AM
Fans from

Kano
18-06-2012, 11:05 AM
The booing against Tottenham was counterproductive and wrong, yet hardly representative of what happened before.

He got it partly because of his awfulness in the first half and partly because this was the point where it was apparant that Tottenham had overtaken us as the Kings of N. London and were cementing this by coming in to our home and banging the Missus and the fans needed an outlet. It was a unique situation.

Does not excuse it, but it was unique.

His response from that point on has been superb.
of course it is representative, it was the peak of the frustration from fans who continue to overlook his contribution. booing a player does not just start in 45 minutes of football, it never does.

as you said, it was a wall of frustration, as I mentioned earlier in the thread that is funnelled through to a few players over the past couple of seasons, walcott being one of em.

Kano
18-06-2012, 11:06 AM
Fans from all clubs boo their players. Overall Walcott has been disappointing for us. Sure, he sometimes plays a blinder ( normally off the bench) and does the same for England but over 38 games he is much too inconsistent if we want to seriousy challenge for major honours.There were games last season when he was embarrassing - he would run without remembering to take the ball with him. That was fine when he was 17 but hes not anymore. A top player just wouldnt be that inconsistent. If we could get 30 million quid for him I think we should jump at the chance.
how many people got more goals and assists than him last season from out wide?

Xhaka Can’t
18-06-2012, 11:10 AM
of course it is representative, it was the peak of the frustration from fans who continue to overlook his contribution. booing a player does not just start in 45 minutes of football, it never does.

as you said, it was a wall of frustration, as I mentioned earlier in the thread that is funnelled through to a few players over the past couple of seasons, walcott being one of em.

I tried to give you the context, Tottenham - 2-0 up at our gaff, about to go 13 points clear, qualify for CL while ensuring we didn't, him having a truly shocking first half. All that context - bucket loads of it.

All ignored.

Quite simply, we will never agree on the topic we have been discussing.

Kano
18-06-2012, 11:11 AM
Quite simply, we will never agree on the topic we have been discussing.
i should've said that pages back, when i was getting bored with this.

Xhaka Can’t
18-06-2012, 11:12 AM
i should've said that pages back, when i was getting bored with this.

oooh, get you!

Kano
18-06-2012, 11:16 AM
no claws, just being honest. this is a distraction from work.

or shall we disagree on this too?

Xhaka Can’t
18-06-2012, 11:18 AM
no claws, just being honest. this is a distraction from work.

or shall we disagree on this too?

You'll need to start a different thread.

Can't have that derailing the Theo talk.

Coney
18-06-2012, 11:19 AM
If we could get 30 million quid for him I think we should jump at the chance, as long as the money is then spent on a couple of quality proven players.

Fixed it for you.

fakeyank
18-06-2012, 11:29 AM
Arsenal fans have been 10 times more patient with Theo as compared to any player I can remember. Probably coz he is English! :unsure:

Having said that, wouldnt shed a tear if he left and we got a player with half a brain on his head instead.

Xhaka Can’t
18-06-2012, 11:33 AM
Arsenal fans have been 10 times more patient with Theo as compared to any player I can remember. Probably coz he is English! :unsure:

Having said that, wouldnt shed a tear if he left and we got a player with half a brain on his head instead.

:sick:

Coney
18-06-2012, 11:35 AM
There are better ways of showing intelligence.

Power n Glory
18-06-2012, 11:38 AM
Would actually be cool if someone could come up with the stats for Prem wingers over the past two seasons just to put things into perspective.

LDG
18-06-2012, 11:40 AM
Would actually be cool if someone could come up with the stats for Prem wingers over the past two seasons just to put things into perspective.

Aaron Lennon is shit, and runs like a spaz.

:good:

Coney
18-06-2012, 11:44 AM

What stats?

Number of times fallen over bootlaces
Number of crap crosses
Number of times not running back to help out fullback

GP
18-06-2012, 11:48 AM
Aaron Lennon is shit, and runs like a spaz.

:good:

Well, yeah, he's miles better than Lennon.

And Young.

Downing, on the other hand...

Boss
18-06-2012, 11:50 AM
Over the last two years...

Year - Games Started - Goals - Assists

Walcott

2011/12 - 41 - 11 - 9
2010/11 - 28 - 13 - 11

Arshavin

2010/11 - 36 - 10 - 18
2009/10 - 31 - 11 - 6

Valencia

2011/12 - 32 - 6 - 15
2010/11 - 15 - 3 - 3

Nani

2011/12 - 34 - 12 - 13
2010/11 - 43 - 10 - 15

Malouda

2011/12 - 21 - 5 - 7
2010/11 - 43 - 15 - 4

Have fun. :tiphat:

Power n Glory
18-06-2012, 11:59 AM
Are those just Prem stats or full season?

I know Theo has more goals than that according to Arsenal's official website stats.

Boss
18-06-2012, 12:05 PM
All comps.

Didn't include the European qualifying games against Udinese for some reason which I've now included :)

Power n Glory
18-06-2012, 12:08 PM
Thanks dude.

bignev
18-06-2012, 01:18 PM
That's an interesting comparison. I've never been a Walcott fan but maybe it's time too give him his dues.

I think he's one of those players that appears worse than he is, if that makes sense?

Letters
18-06-2012, 01:20 PM
That's an interesting comparison. I've never been a Walcott fan but maybe it's time too give him his dues.

I think he's one of those players that appears worse than he is, if that makes sense?
That does make sense because his stats are impressive but I watch him as I guess a lot of us do and while sometimes he really impresses me at other times he's maddeningly ineffective, runs into players, looks far too easy to dispossess. Think how effective he could be if he could be more consistent.

Coney
18-06-2012, 01:23 PM

Yes, it does. If you watch a player looking for his mistakes, you'll have a different opinion of the player than if you watch him, looking for where he gets it right. Some people forget Henry's cock-ups and the fact that a lot of a game, he would be doing almost nothing, putting on a spurt and doing the bizz when needed. But if Walcott waits for a bit, he is slagged off. Now it is accepted (quite rightly) that Henry at the same age was a far better player then Walcott is but that does not in itself mean Walcott is shit. In any case, compare most forwards to Henry in his prime and Henry will make most of them look ordinary.

That might be stating the obvious but when some people get on their hobby horse, they seem to forget.

Letters
18-06-2012, 01:43 PM
I don't think anyone on here (WUMs and point-scorers aside) has an overtly pro or anti Walcott agenda. People just call it like they see it.
Of course all players make mistakes but when a player is at the level of Henry (and it helps, of course, that the side were winning a lot of trophies) then those are easily forgotten.
Walcott HAS been inconsistent. Sometimes he's effective, other times he looks far too easy to play against and adds very little. His stats show that when he is effective he's very effective. And the crowd have been very patient with him. What he needs to do is get more consistent.

Coney
18-06-2012, 02:41 PM
I don't think anyone on here (WUMs and point-scorers aside) has an overtly pro or anti Walcott agenda. People just call it like they see it.
Of course all players make mistakes but when a player is at the level of Henry (and it helps, of course, that the side were winning a lot of trophies) then those are easily forgotten.
Walcott HAS been inconsistent. Sometimes he's effective, other times he looks far too easy to play against and adds very little. His stats show that when he is effective he's very effective. And the crowd have been very patient with him. What he needs to do is get more consistent.

Sure - hopefully consistently effective, not consistently crap.

GP
18-06-2012, 02:53 PM
http://www.poppysyndrome.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/batman-my-parents-are-dead.jpg

Letters
18-06-2012, 03:14 PM
Sure - hopefully consistently effective, not consistently crap.
:lol:

Well, quite.

AKBapologist
18-06-2012, 06:49 PM
http://m.twitpolls.com/s/sW

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Coney
18-06-2012, 08:05 PM
Doesn't work.

Sent from my normal unpretentious laptop.