PDA

View Full Version : Prisoners' Wives

Letters
28-06-2012, 10:09 AM
My colleagues and I were having a Daily Mail-esque rant yesterday about prisoners yesterday. The conversation started when someone was talking about the Gordon Ramsey programme about teaching prisoners to cook. Apparently they have to have 5 choices of meal including vegetarian and Halal options. We don't get that at work!

In the show one of the prisoners apparently went into one about having to eat in the communal area because usually he eats in his cell (where his TV and PlayStation is) because he has his ketchup in there. Another has been convicted 73 times. Clearly working well as a deterrent then. :sarcy:

I read this morning that they’re considering conjugal visits.

http://www.metro.co.uk/news/903501-experts-examine-plans-for-inmates-to-have-sex-with-partners-in-prison

The quote which made me LOL and angry at the same time was from some woman who works with prisoners:
'Prisoners often say to me, "prison isn’t so bad but the hardest thing is being away from family"'. That's the whole point! :doh:

Let’s just put them up in penthouses with their families. *sigh*.

I say this in the spirit of Christian love but kill them! Kill them all!

GP
28-06-2012, 10:20 AM
programme about teaching prisoners to cook.

Wait, what? :lol:

I hope Alan Partridge gets the credit for that

Letters
28-06-2012, 10:22 AM
Monkey Tennis :bow:

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/gordon-behind-bars

:lol:

GP
28-06-2012, 10:23 AM
I can't wait for Youth Hostelling with Chris Eubank :popcorn:

Coney
28-06-2012, 10:49 AM
My colleagues and I were having a Daily Mail-esque rant yesterday about prisoners yesterday. The conversation started when someone was talking about the Gordon Ramsey programme about teaching prisoners to cook. Apparently they have to have 5 choices of meal including vegetarian and Halal options. We don't get that at work!

In the show one of the prisoners apparently went into one about having to eat in the communal area because usually he eats in his cell (where his TV and PlayStation is) because he has his ketchup in there. Another has been convicted 73 times. Clearly working well as a deterrent then. :sarcy:

I read this morning that they’re considering conjugal visits.

http://www.metro.co.uk/news/903501-experts-examine-plans-for-inmates-to-have-sex-with-partners-in-prison

The quote which made me LOL and angry at the same time was from some woman who works with prisoners:
'Prisoners often say to me, "prison isn’t so bad but the hardest thing is being away from family"'. That's the whole point! :doh:

Let’s just put them up in penthouses with their families. *sigh*.

I say this in the spirit of Christian love but kill them! Kill them all!

Is that a Daily Mail mix-up? Teaching them to cook might not be a bad thing as they can do that to get rid of the bodies.

Mind you, I have no problem with them getting veggie, halal, kosher, etc.

Fuck the playstation though. Get them doing real work and learning stuff so they have some chance of being able to work when they leave. They should work at least 7 hours per day 5 days a week. Each day they refuse to work, that day does not count as part of their sentence so they have to stay another day in prison.

Letters
28-06-2012, 11:02 AM
I have no issue with them learning skills, obviously that's a good thing. Although from what my colleague said some of them were clearly not interested in making anything of their lives. And why would they be when prison isn't that bad and so little deterrent? It seems far too cushy to me.

Think I might start a life of crime :ninja:

Coney
28-06-2012, 11:11 AM
If you never aspire to anything, the loss of freedom might not be such a big punishment. If you like getting out and about, doing new things, visiting new places, then being in prison for a long period, even if it is 'cushy', would be a serious punishment. Maybe if you are bottom of the heap and never tried to move on, then it might be much less of a deterrent.

That is why I think there should be a work ethic and weekly pattern - try and make it feel like the norm to get off your ass 5 days a week and do something. OK - so it is not going to work in all cases, but at least the attempt should be made. Some might use it as a step forward after prison. Those who don't will at least have a punishment and some degree of deterrence by not wanting to have to come back to a working environment in prison.

Letters
28-06-2012, 11:16 AM
Coney for PM :bow:

Coney
28-06-2012, 11:17 AM
Coney for PM :bow:

Nah - doesn't pay enough. Coney for Barclay's CEO. Just fuck about for a year, get a bonus and then bugger off to the bahamas.

V-Pig
28-06-2012, 05:21 PM
I have no issue with them learning skills, obviously that's a good thing. Although from what my colleague said some of them were clearly not interested in making anything of their lives. And why would they be when prison isn't that bad and so little deterrent? It seems far too cushy to me.

Think I might start a life of crime :ninja:

Unfortunately a lot of repeat offenders come from such shitty conditions anyway that to make prison a deterrent would seriously infringe upon their human rights.

Xhaka Can’t
28-06-2012, 05:47 PM
http://chzmemebase.files.wordpress.com/2012/05/internet-memes-you-have-the-right-to-remain-on-the-ground.jpg

Joker
29-06-2012, 08:15 AM
Is there any real evidence that making prison conditions harsher acts as an effective deterrent?

Letters
29-06-2012, 08:35 AM
Is there any real evidence that making prison conditions harsher acts as an effective deterrent?
Capital punishment definitely reduces the re-offending rate.

I don't know actually, in answer to your question, but you would have thought so. It does seem to be way too cushy right now.

Flavs
29-06-2012, 08:58 AM
Interesting subject, I think we should adopt Hitler's theorem on prisoner treatment really. They should be "employed" 4 days a week 9-5 with a dinner break and 2 cig breaks to do community work such as street cleaning and picking up litter and so on while learning a trade on their 5th day such as carpentry, metal work and so on so they can then use these skills not only to improve desolate areas while in prison but then use their skills upon release.

However it seems that rehabilitation isn't actually the aim of the British prison system. The true aim is just to remove the issue for a while so the focus is on other things.

Letters
29-06-2012, 09:10 AM
Hitler :bow:

LDG
29-06-2012, 11:14 AM
Lock them up and throw away the key, I say!!

Hump
29-06-2012, 11:44 AM
Lock them up and throw away the key, I say!!and possibly give them unknottable sheets

Coney
29-06-2012, 12:13 PM
Unfortunately a lot of repeat offenders come from such shitty conditions anyway that to make prison a deterrent would seriously infringe upon their human rights.

Just make it relative to what you are used to. If you come from a council estate, the cell smells of shit. If you are from the posh end of town, the lacky doesn't swallow after the oral.