PDA

View Full Version : Avoiding relegation is the hight of our ambition

AKBapologist
06-07-2012, 11:01 PM
http://m.guardian.co.uk/football/2012/jul/06/peter-hill-wood-arsenal-alisher-usmanov?cat=football&type=article

:coffee:

sent from a fone

Özil's Panoramic View
06-07-2012, 11:19 PM
There's an old saying that u can't teach an old dog new tricks.

Stuck with a bunch of geriatrics...... We're indeed f***ed

McNamara That Ghost...
07-07-2012, 08:26 AM
:lol:

This is going to be fun. :popcorn:

Xhaka Can’t
07-07-2012, 09:28 AM
Just avoiding relegation is never fun. :angry:

Joker
07-07-2012, 09:51 AM
he maintained that former shareholders such as Hill-Wood who made millions selling their shares to Kroenke, should not be expected to put money into the club.

What a load of bullshit. And he claims to care for the wellbeing of the club :lol:

Then there were the usual populist crap about "oil wealth" and how can simply can't compete. No one is ASKING you to spend £100M in the transfer window, or to compete with the players City are looking to sign. However, we've made close to £25M profit in the transfer window over the last 6 years, surely there was some leeway to spend a bit more on established players who didn't have to be world beaters but would have improved the quality and depth of the squad, and perhaps allowed us to compete more effectively in the cup competitions and would have lessened the impact that injuries have had on our seasons.

Moreover, it seems as if Arab Oil money is morally wrong, but American money is okay. There's more than a stench of racism about PHW's opposition to City's owners, and indeed his opposition to Usmanov, which is what you'd expect of an out of touch, old Etonian traditional conservative like himself.

Xhaka Can’t
07-07-2012, 09:54 AM
He's also fat.

Özim
07-07-2012, 10:53 AM
To think this plank has been praised by some on here, this guy is truly unbelievable.....how can this guy get away with this sh*t.

He's an perfect example of what's bad with football today.

Marc Overmars
07-07-2012, 11:03 AM
Only Arsenal could be stuck with a billionaire owner who is not expected to put money into the club.

Özim
07-07-2012, 11:56 AM
Only Arsenal could be stuck with a billionaire owner who is not expected to put money into the club.
The only ones expected to put money into the club here are the fans, working out well though as they do whilst the money men get richer all the time.

I could live with this if we were a top team and genuine contenders for trophies, but we're not.

Fist of Lehmann
07-07-2012, 12:21 PM
C'mon man, leave off the guy. See how totally in touch with the fans he is:

Hill-Wood said making so much money from selling his shares was "nice", explaining: "You wouldn't say no to a few million pounds."

Well you wouldn't would you?

AKBapologist
07-07-2012, 12:23 PM
If I was already wealthy I'd rather have the shares and have a say in you're the club is run.

Meanwhile....

http://uk.soccerway.com/news/2012/July/07/wright-questions-arsenals-finances/

sent from a fone

Marc Overmars
07-07-2012, 02:53 PM
Only spending what we earn is sound business practice but the problem is that what we earn just isn't enough at the moment, our commercial deals are average and we need to supplement that by selling players.

AKBapologist
07-07-2012, 04:27 PM
And also:
http://le-grove.co.uk/2012/07/07/that-52million-you-thought-arsenal-had-to-spend-well-think-again/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=that-52million-you-thought-arsenal-had-to-spend-well-think-again

sent from a fone

V-Pig
07-07-2012, 05:47 PM
And also:
http://le-grove.co.uk/2012/07/07/that-52million-you-thought-arsenal-had-to-spend-well-think-again/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=that-52million-you-thought-arsenal-had-to-spend-well-think-again

sent from a fone

That's an interesting one. Suggesting that AW has basically no money to spend and it's the board stopping him.

GP
07-07-2012, 05:58 PM
That's an interesting one. Suggesting that AW has basically no money to spend and it's the board stopping him.

That's almost certainly been the case for some time.Of course, that doesn't entirely excuse him, but it doesn't help.

V-Pig
07-07-2012, 06:04 PM
That's almost certainly been the case for some time.Of course, that doesn't entirely excuse him, but it doesn't help.

Should he just say, "I have no fucking money and it's all that American's fault"? They couldn't sack him for saying it... Maybe it'd start a massive fan rampage and Stan would give everyone all his money and we'd buy Man City and close it down. :cloud9:

Syn
07-07-2012, 06:08 PM

For all the talk about how full of shit the board are and how full of shit Wenger is, only the board and (occasionally) Wenger says there is money to spend - and even that's countered with mixed signals (Wenger talking about how our wage bill isn't high because of image rights or PHW saying we can't offer £250k a week). Many seem to have no problem believing them on that. And for all the agreement with ex-players (Merson, Wright, Sol, Parlour - many, many others), Usmanov, Dein...they all say Wenger has had his hands tied in the transfer market.

In short, people seem to hear/read what they want to. And that makes any debate on here - or indeed any social media sites - contaminated with selective info.

V-Pig
07-07-2012, 06:11 PM
And then there's this:

http://arsenallatest.com/blog/535-in-defense-of-the-arsenal-board.html

In defence of the board.

Power n Glory
07-07-2012, 06:28 PM
Should he just say, "I have no fucking money and it's all that American's fault"? They couldn't sack him for saying it... Maybe it'd start a massive fan rampage and Stan would give everyone all his money and we'd buy Man City and close it down. :cloud9:

He's not going to say anything because he's getting paid well and at some level, still enjoys his job and already has experienced winning titles. I never knew he was earning more money than Fergie but if he was earning lot less than his peers and still had to put up with the politics and bullshit, would he stay on and stay silent? No. Yet many of our players are caught in this situation and it's why they choose to move on. They're getting paid less than their peers, have no hope of winning titles, yet Wenger and the Board preach loyalty while reaping all the financial rewards.

Özim
07-07-2012, 06:50 PM
The fact Wenger is picking up his 7 million (more than Fergie which is a shocker to be honest) and happily getting on with his job where noone ever questions anything he does makes him just as much of a problem as anyone else.

Any other manager who wasn't happy in this scenario would have demanded more money if he wanted it or indeed moved on, trouble is Wenger is content with getting 4th and fully supportive of the current regime because he's getting his cut, so he's very much part of all of this.

Whether he's getting money to spend or not, he's still isn't that relevant as he's wasted a lot of shite as well, money that could have been spent on better players, rather than buying cheap he could have not wasted this and saved up that money to buy one or two top players. Our squad has been way too overinflated with shite he's brought in for years, we have way too many players in the squad, many of which aren't good enough and yet getting paid fairly large amounts, noone forced us to pay kids 50-60k a week.

Get rid of all of them.

Xhaka Can’t
07-07-2012, 09:15 PM
I think he earns his money more than Fergie for what he does. That he should be doing all he does is a moo point. Wenger is more than a football manager at this Club.

He probably is being overpaid, but I doubt anyone would do the job he is is doing within the parameters he appears to be working under.

And on the subject of pay, we are overpaying the bulk of our squad. It is why we can't get shot of players like Bendtner despite the obvious international clamour for him.

If we paid the bulk of our squad wages in line with what similarly experienced players earned elsewhere, we'd have no problem being competitive in paying wages to Van Persie and a couple of other marquee players.

Özim
07-07-2012, 09:31 PM
I think he earns his money more than Fergie for what he does. That he should be doing all he does is a moo point. Wenger is more than a football manager at this Club.

He probably is being overpaid, but I doubt anyone would do the job he is is doing within the parameters he appears to be working under.

And on the subject of pay, we are overpaying the bulk of our squad. It is why we can't get shot of players like Bendtner despite the obvious international clamour for him.

If we paid the bulk of our squad wages in line with what similarly experienced players earned elsewhere, we'd have no problem being competitive in paying wages to Van Persie and a couple of other marquee players.
I think it depends how you look at it, from a football point of view he certainly doesn't.

As for being more than a football manager, well his job is to manage the team, the fact he gets involved in all sorts of things he shouldn't at the detriment of the playing side (IMO) is due to perhaps him being a bit of a control freak.

A football manager should be paid based on the performance of his team on the pitch IMO, he's paid on the basis that he makes a profit and that's what the board care about. He was far more successful before he got involved in the money side.

Money 1 Football 0

Xhaka Can’t
08-07-2012, 12:08 AM
You're stating what his job should be in your opinion as a fan.

I think there is more to his job than there ought to be and what I would like there to be.

He is doing his 'job' to the satisfaction of his bosses, this is nothing to do with being an uncontrollable control freak because for the money he is being paid, the Club could get just about anyone as Manager.

Yet they stick with him.

tpyo
08-07-2012, 12:24 AM
I like the way this board has slowly changed over the past few years from (paraphrasing):

fuck Chelski and their blood money

to

let us get in on that action!!!!!! Sack the board and instate Usamov!

I like the club running within its means.

Remember Citeh paid £24 million for a player IN THE LAST YEAR OF HIS CONTRACT last year. On top of that I have no idea what his wages are but I'm guessing 120k+ for a guy they already shelled out 24m on. Do you know how utterly absurd that would sound just a few years ago? I mean just think about it for a second. We haven't won anything for six, seven years? NO SHIT! People like Citeh are making the market fucking absurd and RVP would be insane to miss out of this once in a life time opportunity to cash in.

It's like someone buying every item in Tesco's for £1,000 so you're unable to buy any food. Sure, the missus is disappointed when you come back empty handed from the shop but do you really think its sensible to take a loan out to compete with this £1,000 for a can of baked beans price? Or worse allow some blood moneyed tycoon to take over your household so you can maybe eat caviar once or twice in half a decade? Added to that he'll probably sack your children every year to get "better ones" in.
Fuck that. I'll happily grow own, shop at Lidl's or even scavenge bins.

Peter Hill-Wood is the third generation of his family to chair the club. Everything from the 60's up until now has been chaired by a Hill-Wood. We have been self-sufficient for years and I'd rather eat bread and butter for two decades then desecrate all of this for a go on the fuck yourself over lottery to win a tub of caviar for a season.

Xhaka Can’t
08-07-2012, 12:29 AM
There is running the Club within its means, and then there is bleeding the Club and its fans dry.

This Club is in no way making use of the resources available to it and a group of people have profited immensely as a result.

She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
08-07-2012, 10:59 AM

an interesting observation as to why wenger is overpaid comes from le grove in his article a few days ago:

http://le-grove.co.uk/2012/07/07/that-52million-you-thought-arsenal-had-to-spend-well-think-again/

im not for one moment saying there is any truth in it or that it's a good article, but it offers an interesting perspective as to what's potentially going on at the club. if the article is true then it certainly raises some interesting points for consideration, namely that the board have bought wengers silence.