PDA

View Full Version : Pedro leaves for Ateltico Paranaense

Dicks and chicks
25-07-2012, 12:09 PM
From bbc sport: Pedro Botelho signs for Brazilian club Atletico Paranaense following an unsuccessful five-year stay at Arsenal. The 22-year-old defender had loan spells at Salamanca, Celta Vigo, Cartagena, Rayo Vallecano and Levante during his time with the Gunners.

Arsenal FC have confirmed this:http://www.arsenal.com/news/reserves-news/pedro-botelho-joins-atletico-paranaense

Flavs
25-07-2012, 12:10 PM
di du dum dum dum...another one bites the dust

Dicks and chicks
25-07-2012, 12:15 PM
seems like a lot of Wenger's failed youth players move on to really mediocre clubs, Amauary Bischoff, Giles Sunu, justin hoyte, gavin hoyte.

On a serious note it seems like more of Wenger's youngsters seem to be failing even after 4-5 years at the club they don't seem to develop well, pedro's situation reminds me a lot of carlos vela.

Marc Overmars
25-07-2012, 12:22 PM
Project youth. :bow:

IBK
25-07-2012, 01:04 PM
Meh - its always a risk picking up players at 17 - because so many factors prevent them into developing into top players. Its not the principle I object to so much (particularly if we are paying very junior playes peanuts), its our financial committment to more expensive punts.

Fist of Lehmann
25-07-2012, 01:37 PM
Yep, a high level of natural wastage is inherent in this strategy.

It should come as no surprise when most of these youngsters don't make it. At this age the gap between early sprouters and late starters can be huge. A kid who looked a prodigy at 17 may just have done most of his developing already.

Trying to predict how a kid will be after 5-6 years of development is extrememly hard. We take as many of the good ones we can get (within youth budget) and hope that they develop to the kind of level required to play at the top of possibly the toughest domestic league in the world. Most of them won't make it.

You get a far better strike rate buying at 21-24 but the price by then is already pretty high. Hell, kids like Lucas Moura and Gotze are already £30m+ at 19, those are the exceptionals.

Dicks and chicks
25-07-2012, 02:58 PM
Yep, a high level of natural wastage is inherent in this strategy.

It should come as no surprise when most of these youngsters don't make it. At this age the gap between early sprouters and late starters can be huge. A kid who looked a prodigy at 17 may just have done most of his developing already.

Trying to predict how a kid will be after 5-6 years of development is extrememly hard. We take as many of the good ones we can get (within youth budget) and hope that they develop to the kind of level required to play at the top of possibly the toughest domestic league in the world. Most of them won't make it.

You get a far better strike rate buying at 21-24 but the price by then is already pretty high. Hell, kids like Lucas Moura and Gotze are already £30m+ at 19, those are the exceptionals.
surely lucas mora and Gotze have the potential to fizzle out as well, both of them are young and both of them have achieved relatively very little in their careers so far

Cripps_orig
25-07-2012, 03:09 PM
He will be missed

Asthmatic Kitty
25-07-2012, 03:25 PM
he was pretty good on fifa iirc!

Fist of Lehmann
25-07-2012, 03:34 PM
surely lucas mora and Gotze have the potential to fizzle out as well, both of them are young and both of them have achieved relatively very little in their careers so far
Absolutely they do. Their price tags are indicative of a transfer market spiralling into insane levels.

V-Pig
25-07-2012, 05:00 PM
Calm down. I'm sure every club has plenty of wasted youth players. I barely even remember this guy. How many similar players are there from other big clubs we've never heard of who've left quietly having failed at the top level.

Besides, from purely financial terms, project youth is working a treat.

She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
25-07-2012, 05:28 PM
5 years. 5 loans. 0 arsenal appearances.

GP
25-07-2012, 05:37 PM
Calm down. I'm sure every club has plenty of wasted youth players. I barely even remember this guy. How many similar players are there from other big clubs we've never heard of who've left quietly having failed at the top level.

Besides, from purely financial terms, project youth is working a treat.

Good post.

Fist of Lehmann
25-07-2012, 06:52 PM

Besides, from purely financial terms, project youth is working a treat.Is that directed at me? :unsure:

Cripps_orig
25-07-2012, 07:21 PM
Having his own thread on GW is probably the biggest thing hes ever achieved at Arsenal

Dennis Bendtner
25-07-2012, 07:26 PM
Wenger was on his way to the botelho bank the other day when he realised he had no botelho.

V-Pig
25-07-2012, 08:19 PM
Is that directed at me? :unsure:

Nah, not really. It was directed at anyone who wants to use this guy's failure as an indictment of Wenger's transfer policy.

McNamara That Ghost...
25-07-2012, 08:22 PM
Shame.

Good news is we've got a new GW meme in Ateltico.

Injury Time
25-07-2012, 08:26 PM
Who :unsure: oh well.

Dicks and chicks
02-09-2012, 05:16 PM
Who :unsure: oh well.
take it you're not his biggest fan :violin: