PDA

View Full Version : Anti-Player sentiment

Joker
27-07-2012, 09:19 AM
We hear a lot of complaints these days about "greedy" players etc. For example, Theo Walcott has had a character assassination done on him by Arseblog and others, with insinuations that he doesn't want to sign a contract because he's afraid of competition from AOC, that he's money hungry, arrogant, with ideas above his station etc. And when he gave an interview which sounded somewhat promising, Arseblog spun it to make it seem as if he was non committal about his future.

A similar thing happened with Ashley Cole, and he continues to have opprobrium poured on him for refusing to sign a new contract with us, which we put down to "greed". However, perhaps it's time to go beyond this anti-worker mentality that many football fans of all clubs have and look at the bigger picture. With Cole, the wage being offered was actually too low for a player of his quality. With Walcott, we have no idea why there is a delay in his signing a contract. Maybe the club are messing him about as well, and not giving him a contract that reflects his contributions especially last season?

We seldom look at the board and the money-men when there are contractual disputes such as with Cole, Walcott and many others. Afterall, it is the players who add value to the football "industry", it is they who help attract sponsorship deals for the clubs, that get fans to sign season tickets and win the trophies that increase "brand value". And yet, look at the amount of money being siphoned off by those like Gazidis, PHW, Kroenke and the vast inequality between those who add value (the players) and those who live off the back of the fans and players (the owners and corporate management) becomes clear. Given this, shouldn't we be a bit more understanding when a player threatens to leave the club, rather than immediately branding him "greedy"?

There are interesting comments by Kranjcar about the Modric situation that appeared today:

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11095/7938105/Kranjcar-attacks-liar-Levy

"Levy did everything to protect the interests of the club and make a profit. He has also used lies to deceive the public, which is allowed in business.

And yet, the focus on a lot of blogs and websites is on "greedy" Modric, with little attention being paid to the Chairman/Board who are probably the greediest of any group within football, but who get a free ride from the fans.

LDG
27-07-2012, 09:21 AM
They're all greedy.

What happens when there's shitloads of money flying around?

Everyone wants a piece of the pie.

If feel sorry for none of these ****s.

End of.

GP
27-07-2012, 09:30 AM
The players are the ones we pay to see, so they get the stick when they fuck off for more money.

Simple really.
Shit thread.

Kano
27-07-2012, 09:37 AM
Given this, shouldn't we be a bit more understanding when a player threatens to leave the club, rather than immediately branding him "greedy"?
no. it's football. we're irrational. players are irrational. it's a passionate game.

we love them whilst they play for us but if they leave they are ****s.

nothing complicated.

LDG
27-07-2012, 09:45 AM
no. it's football. we're irrational. players are irrational. it's a passionate game.

nothing complicated.

:gp:

IBK
27-07-2012, 09:51 AM
We hear a lot of complaints these days about "greedy" players etc. For example, Theo Walcott has had a character assassination done on him by Arseblog and others, with insinuations that he doesn't want to sign a contract because he's afraid of competition from AOC, that he's money hungry, arrogant, with ideas above his station etc. And when he gave an interview which sounded somewhat promising, Arseblog spun it to make it seem as if he was non committal about his future.

A similar thing happened with Ashley Cole, and he continues to have opprobrium poured on him for refusing to sign a new contract with us, which we put down to "greed". However, perhaps it's time to go beyond this anti-worker mentality that many football fans of all clubs have and look at the bigger picture. With Cole, the wage being offered was actually too low for a player of his quality. With Walcott, we have no idea why there is a delay in his signing a contract. Maybe the club are messing him about as well, and not giving him a contract that reflects his contributions especially last season?

We seldom look at the board and the money-men when there are contractual disputes such as with Cole, Walcott and many others. Afterall, it is the players who add value to the football "industry", it is they who help attract sponsorship deals for the clubs, that get fans to sign season tickets and win the trophies that increase "brand value". And yet, look at the amount of money being siphoned off by those like Gazidis, PHW, Kroenke and the vast inequality between those who add value (the players) and those who live off the back of the fans and players (the owners and corporate management) becomes clear. Given this, shouldn't we be a bit more understanding when a player threatens to leave the club, rather than immediately branding him "greedy"?

There are interesting comments by Kranjcar about the Modric situation that appeared today:

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11095/7938105/Kranjcar-attacks-liar-Levy

And yet, the focus on a lot of blogs and websites is on "greedy" Modric, with little attention being paid to the Chairman/Board who are probably the greediest of any group within football, but who get a free ride from the fans.

As I've said elsewhere - I think you are missing the point.

This issue is not about whether want away players are justified; or entitled to agitate for moves elsewhere. It is not about whether relative to owners and board they are more, less, or equally greedy. Its not about relative ambitions of clubs and players, and its not about whether we should expect loyalty in this day and age.

Its about being football fans. its about loving your club, and feeling an emotional attachment to it.

Do you think that you would feel rational or ambivalent if your girlfriend dumped you for a richer; better-looking bloke? Would you rationalise it by saying - well I can see that she had an opportunity to better herself? Would you look at your faults and conclude that yes, her move was justified.

Would you hell - you would hate her guts, and his. And in time you would find a reason for justifying why you are better off without him.

We are football fans, FFS, at the end of the day. So yes, debate the faults of the club all day long - but don't question the reactions of fans who feel jilted when their idols reject them and join the opposition.

Footballer's fortunes and careers are built, partly, upon enjoying the adulation of fans - they can fucking well put up with it when they stick two fingers up to that adulation and move on - whether for so-called ambition, or for a bigger buck. And they certainly don't need apologists sympathising with their plight.

LDG
27-07-2012, 09:53 AM
Do you think that you would feel rational or ambivalent if your girlfriend dumped you for a richer; better-looking bloke? Would you rationalise it by saying - well I can see that she had an opportunity to better herself? Would you look at your faults and conclude that yes, her move was justified.

As well you know, I have also a hooker who can play there.

IBK
27-07-2012, 10:03 AM
As well you know, I have also a hooker who can play there.

Alex Song?

LDG
27-07-2012, 10:07 AM
Alex Song?

I wish :loveblush:

Power n Glory
27-07-2012, 10:09 AM
http://topnews.in/sports/files/Stan-Kroenke.jpg

Gotta love soccer!

bignev
27-07-2012, 01:34 PM

Walcott is especially annoying because he's not as great as he thinks he is. He's not going to be missed on the same level as we'll miss RVP. He seems to want super wages without being a super player.

I think it all comes down to a widening gap between fans and players these days. You no longer feel like any player really cares about the club.

p.s. Is it required for you to mention how much you hate Arseblog in every post you make?

You could not read it you know :lol:

Joker
27-07-2012, 02:12 PM
Walcott is especially annoying because he's not as great as he thinks he is. He's not going to be missed on the same level as we'll miss RVP. He seems to want super wages without being a super player.

I think it all comes down to a widening gap between fans and players these days. You no longer feel like any player really cares about the club.

p.s. Is it required for you to mention how much you hate Arseblog in every post you make?

You could not read it you know :lol:

I don't hate Arseblog, in fact I used to be a big fan of his, but he's become a mouthpiece for Gazidis/Kroenke these days.

LDG
27-07-2012, 02:22 PM
I don't hate Arseblog, in fact I used to be a big fan of his, but he's become a mouthpiece for Gazidis/Kroenke these days.

:lol:

Nah, he just doesn't get carried away on either a pro or anti crusade. Some might call it rational.

bignev
27-07-2012, 03:05 PM

Trollololol

Master Splinter
27-07-2012, 03:36 PM
Nah, he just doesn't get carried away on either a pro or anti crusade. Some might call it rational.

Rational? RATIONAL?

http://i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/masonry/000/076/537/Super_FUUU_Face.jpg?1318992465

gooners
27-07-2012, 06:28 PM

nothing complicated.

You see, there is nothing wrong with this. Absolutely nothing.

It is when folks try to pseudo-intellectualise their irrationality that it begins to grate.

She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
27-07-2012, 06:59 PM
where there is money, there is greed.

it's a pre-historic ideology, merely fuelled by the vast amounts of money circulating every aspect of modern society.

fakeyank
27-07-2012, 07:00 PM
You see, there is nothing wrong with this. Absolutely nothing.

It is when folks try to pseudo-intellectualise their irrationality that it begins to grate.

:gp:

Too many of them here on GW, I am afraid..

Coney
27-07-2012, 07:58 PM
They're all greedy.

What happens when there's shitloads of money flying around?

Everyone wants a piece of the pie.

If feel sorry for none of these ****s.

End of.

Damn right. If I had an agent and he got me £120,000 a week, I'd turn it down and insist on only 500 quid a week. :good:

Xhaka Can’t
27-07-2012, 08:47 PM
Damn right. If I had an agent and he got me £120,000 a week, I'd turn it down and insist on only 500 quid a week. :good:

500 a week would be good money for you.

Coney
27-07-2012, 09:11 PM

We used to dream of living in a cardboard box.

Injury Time
27-07-2012, 09:20 PM
More like £515+vat a day for a cheap IT spod, I bet Coney ain't cheap;)

Xhaka Can’t
27-07-2012, 09:34 PM
More like £515+vat a day for a cheap IT spod, I bet Coney ain't cheap;)

Coney isn't really in IT.

He just says that to impress the ladies.