PDA

View Full Version : Match Reaction v Sunderland

Master Splinter
18-08-2012, 04:03 PM
Had enough chances to win the game.

Giroud and Podolski should have got debut goals.

Cazorla very good, Arteta solid. Gervinho dangerous, but poor when it comes to delivering a decent final ball or shot on target.

Disappointing result but Wenget can keep his job for one more week.

One more attacking option would be useful.

Dicks and chicks
18-08-2012, 04:04 PM
here we go again another season full of shit were we will finish 4th and no trophies

GP
18-08-2012, 04:05 PM
Not too bad, created chances and looked comfortable.

Some players not on the same wavelength yet so it looks promising when they start to gel.

KSE Comedy Club
18-08-2012, 04:06 PM
Wenger fucked it with the subs.

Needs to do better by next week.

However, The Invincibles 2 is still on :scarf:

Olivier's xmas twist
Had enough chances to win the game.

Giroud and Podolski should have got debut goals.

Cazorla very good, Arteta solid. Gervinho dangerous, but poor when it comes to delivering a decent final ball or shot on target.

Disappointing result but Wenget can keep his job for one more week.

One more attacking option would be useful.

Ill go with this. dissapointing results and the media will have a field day but fuck it on to the next game we go, not like we were going to win the league anyways were in the Top 4 fight and it helped our rivals lost today tbh.

hymppi
I was really pleased to have santi, we have an awesome player, mates!
Really good vision, first touch and passing. Gonna be an interesting season.
Goals will come, it was great to get a clean sheet.

Dicks and chicks
Wenger fucked it with the subs.

Needs to do better by next week.

Still, the new invincibles 2 is still on :scarf:
This team ant invincible its shit

AKBapologist
18-08-2012, 04:07 PM
was impressed with the collective defending in the second half, though i'm disappointed our strikers didn't create more.

Need to get more quality to surround Cazorla before he fucks off.

Olivier's xmas twist
here we go again another season full of shit were we will finish 4th and no trophies

Dis you really thing we was going to win the league? why can't we win the cc i see no reason why we can't.

Unai Tea
Dominated the game I thought, just needed to convert one or two chances. Probably didn't create enough clear cut chances but then Sunderland tend to be very well organised and weren't particularly ambitious today.

Dicks and chicks
Dis you really thing we was going to win the league? why can't we win the cc i see no reason why we can't.

i am just so deflated

Olivier's xmas twist
18-08-2012, 04:08 PM
This team ant invincible its shit

Yeah right now the team is not on the same wave length once it Gells it should be ok, we deffo need to spend money this week.

Olivier's xmas twist
i am just so deflated

we all are but way i see it don't havr high hopes you won't be dissapointed.

GP
i am just so deflated

You've let yourself down

:haha:

McNamara That Ghost...
18-08-2012, 04:09 PM
Standard result for Sunderland at home every other season. So dull.

Özim
18-08-2012, 04:10 PM
Not very impressed, lacked a cutting edge in reality..disappointed we couldn't start the season well.

Cazorla was good, but we should be able to net a couple goals against a team like Sunderland in our 1st home game...reminded me a bit of 2006 when we dominated and passed and passed but failed to win time and time again, hope we don't get a repeat.

In short let's spend some money and change this sh*t.

Joker
Disappointing result tbh. Cazorla was great, but the others seemed off their game.

Marc Overmars
We've sold our best striker and best attacking midfielder from last season, it's probably no surprise we drew blank in the end. It cannot be understated just how reliant we were on RVC, quite a few players need to take on a bigger load now and they will all need to adjust together.

Poor result but it's early days and there's a long season ahead. We've got a tricky opening set of fixtures so I hope we can hit the ground running sooner rather than later.

fakeyank
18-08-2012, 04:11 PM
Play 2 up front.. this 1 striker bull shit has served us fuck all for 7 seasons!

Olivier's xmas twist
18-08-2012, 04:13 PM
Not very impressed, lacked a cutting edge in reality..disappointed we couldn't start the season well.

Cazorla was good, but we should be able to net a couple goals against a team like Sunderland in our 1st home game...reminded me a bit of 2006 when we dominated and passed and passed but failed to win time and time again, hope we don't get a repeat.

In short let's spend some money and change this sh*t.

Top post fella agree.

We've sold our best striker and best attacking midfielder from last season, it's probably no surprise we drew blank in the end. It cannot be understated just how reliant we were on RVC, quite a few players need to take on a bigger load now and they will all need to adjust together.

Poor result but it's early days and there's a long season ahead. We've got a tricky opening set of fixtures so I hope we can hit the ground running sooner rather than later.

Agree with this too.

Özim
18-08-2012, 04:13 PM

I think we had something to prove today, we've lost our best player and the best way to get over that would have been a good performance with a few goals to get the confidence up.

Didn't create enough IMO. Not the end of the world, but disappointing nonetheless.

Tipsychubbs
18-08-2012, 04:16 PM
Bright sparks:
Jenkinson put in about ¾ crunching tackles (like he did in pre-season), and seems to play with a lot of spirit in defending and attacking, if he sorts his positioning out then he’s not as bad as generally thought.

Likewise Gibbs with the crunching tackles and attitude defending and attacking, he was decent.

Cazorla was rusty and shackled by Cattermole, seemed a bit tired with some stray passes, but he also put in some smart passes and through balls and improved as the game went on

Arshavin and Ramsey made an effort to drive things forward when they came on, not always successful but some good bits from them. In fact Ramsey looks as lively as he did at the Olympics and Arshavin looks slimmer.

As for the game, same 2nd half as the 1st, as if nothing was done to change things:

Moving the ball too slowly and easy to defend against – CHECK

Minimal movement off the ball in terms of making runs, finding space, passing and moving, all resulting in mostly static play and easy to defend against – CHECK

Lack of urgency, desire, winning spirit – CHECK

You’d think these were things the manager would have sorted out tactically and "motivationally" but predictably things continued as if there were no problems.

Niall_Quinn
18-08-2012, 04:17 PM
Just be thankful the ****s turned up, they still haven't found a way to wriggle out of that contractual obligation.

Marc Overmars
18-08-2012, 04:21 PM
I think we had something to prove today, we've lost our best player and the best way to get over that would have been a good performance with a few goals to get the confidence up.

Didn't create enough IMO. Not the end of the world, but disappointing nonetheless.

Yeah we did have a point to prove today and it was a shame we didn't respond, early days though and I'm sure we have a little bit more transfer activity to do before the end of the month.

Meh, I find it hard to give much of a shit anymore though.

KSE Comedy Club
18-08-2012, 04:22 PM
You've let yourself down

Olivier's xmas twist
18-08-2012, 04:23 PM
Yeah we did have a point to prove today and it was a shame we didn't respond, early days though and I'm sure we have a little bit more transfer activity to do before the end of the month.

Meh, I find it hard to give much of a shit anymore though.

like i said our rivals lost today so i can take comfort from that in the battle for 4th.

SayNoMore
18-08-2012, 04:23 PM
Doesn't look like much has changed. Expect these type of performances throughout the season. We are so vulnerable to the counter-attack it is unbelievable and against better opposition they are going to punish us. Losing VP and Song has reduced our attacking potency, it is clear despite the good signings made so far, that some reinforcements are still needed.

Newguy
18-08-2012, 04:24 PM
Play 2 up front.. this 1 striker bull shit has served us fuck all for 7 seasons!

I think this may be the case. One upfron doesnt work...also I dont know why he didnt play the starting 11 that played in Germany? Obviously OX is injured but Giroud, Podolski and Cazorla should have been playing together. Maybe Gervinho would have had to come off the bench, but the last performance in pre season was positive, Wenger should have continued with the same attacking players at least. Giroud as some super sub is not the way forward.

WTF is Ramsey doing still at the club?? Please, please, please Jack get fit ASAP.

fakeyank
18-08-2012, 04:29 PM
We really need some good crosses into the box. From the left, I believe we only had one cross in! That is just inexcusable especially when the other team has 10 men behind the ball. You need to get the ball in the air and create some confusion... we NEED to play Theo and another striker up front against shit kicking teams like Sunderland. We have had NO success playing this crappy system of one striker... time to revert back to what served us well.

Xhaka Can’t
18-08-2012, 04:34 PM
We have made a shitload of changes so it will take time to gel. Our focus needs to be on building up an understanding as quickly as possible to consolidate a high league position while paying greater attention to the cups once they start up

I have not seen the match as I'm on my hols so can't comment on.the performance but things could be worse, we could be Scouse!

Sent from my HTC One S using Tapatalk 2

AKBapologist
18-08-2012, 04:35 PM
Someone mentioned that we drew the same fixture last season (both the first game and sunderland at home) - :coffee:

Master Splinter
18-08-2012, 04:39 PM
Someone mentioned that we drew the same fixture last season (both the first game and sunderland at home) - :coffee:

We beat Sunderland twice.

Marc Overmars
18-08-2012, 04:41 PM
This fixture last season was won by RVC on his own.

Olivier's xmas twist
18-08-2012, 04:43 PM

Henry won it for us at Sunderland.

AKBapologist
We beat Sunderland twice.

Well, that someone was wrong then. Lost to them in the cup though :coffee:

Boss
Decent performance on the whole, the attacking side needs time to get on the same wavelength. Had Giroud not missed that sitter we'd be happy with a 1-0 win. Cazorla looks very good, already in tune with the league and once he develops his fitness a bit more I'm sure he'll be putting chances on a plate for Podolski and Giroud.

Walcott ineffective, Gervinho was good with everything apart from his final ball, hope he can do better with that this season. Defense didn't have much to do but did it well, I fear that a stronger attack will see us struggle. Need to sort out the fullbacks because they contribute nothing going forwards.

On to the next one.

Master Splinter
We do always struggle against Sunderland though.

They're just so soul-suckingly boring.

And now MON is in charge.

AKBapologist
18-08-2012, 04:44 PM
So, basically, striker needed?

Joker
18-08-2012, 04:44 PM
Well, that someone was wrong then. Lost to them in the cup though :coffee:

Away from home.

Joker
18-08-2012, 04:47 PM
No striker's going to come in, so we have to make do what what we've got. AOC was injured but when he's back he must start every game IMO. His energy and direct running from midfield can pull opposition players out of position and give us more space in the final third.

Master Splinter
18-08-2012, 04:47 PM

Pretty much.

gooners
18-08-2012, 04:51 PM

already?

Marc Overmars
18-08-2012, 04:54 PM
Think Giroud needs to play up top against Stoke.

AKBapologist
18-08-2012, 04:54 PM
From ladyarse:

Goals: Arsenal 0 Sunderland 0
Shots: Arsenal 22 Sunderland 4
Shots on target: Arsenal 3 Sunderland 2
Saves: Arsenal 2 Sunderland 3
Crosses: Arsenal 57 Sunderland 14
Fouls committed: Arsenal 11 Sunderland 9
Offside: Arsenal 2 Sunderland 1
Corners: Arsenal 7 Sunderland 0
Yellows: Arsenal 0 Sunderland 0
Possession: Arsenal 62% Sunderland 38%
Touch passes: Arsenal 647 Sunderland 229
Touches total: Arsenal 965 Sunderland 557
Touches interceptions: Arsenal 100 Sunderland 30
Blocks: Arsenal 2 Sunderland 10
(stats from whoscored.com)
Throwins: Arsenal 22 Sudnerland 17
Dribbles won: Arsenal 23 Sunderland 4
Tackles: Arsenal 16 Sunderland 28
Pass accuracy: Arsenal 91% Sunderland 75%
Aerials won: Arsenal 44% Sunderland 56%
Possession: Arsenal 70% Sunderland 30%

Player ratings:

Arsenal:
Szczesny 6.9
Gibbs 7.5
Vermaelen 6.8
Mertesacker 6.6
Jenkinson 7.5
Arteta 7.4
Diaby 7.3
Gervinho 7.9
Cazorla 8.3
Walcott 7.0
Podolski 6.3
Giroud 5.8
Arshavin 6.4
Ramsey 6.3

Sunderland:
Mignolet 7.1
Richardson 7.8
Cuellar 7.7
O’Shea 7.0
Gardner 7.1
McClean 6.5
Cattermole 7.2
Larsson 6.5
Colback 6.6
Campbell 6.8
Sessehnon 6.2
Elmohamady 6.4
Saha 6.3
Meyler 6.2

gooners
18-08-2012, 04:59 PM
From ladyarse:

Saves: Arsenal 2 Sunderland 3

with all those shots and possession? telling.

AKBapologist
18-08-2012, 05:02 PM
with all those shots and possession? telling.

That's what you get when you rely on your midfield to create goal scoring opportunities.

Alpha
18-08-2012, 05:05 PM
Disappointing result because we didn't win as expected .
But some positives :
Carzola looking good and would be awesome .
Boys start shooting frome distance : no chamakh syndrome anymore .
Defence looked organised even without a proper defensive midfielder .
Diaby not losing balls in dangerous area as he used to do .
But sadly some negatives as well :
Drawing at home against an average team
Gervinho and walnut clueless and wasteful in the flanks .
Main striker not receiving enough balls .
playing with handbreak on as Wenger would have said .
More work needed to sort some shit out .
Had we scored it could have been a decent performance .

Marc Overmars
18-08-2012, 05:14 PM
Essentially, you can't lose 2 of your most productive performers and not expect to endure a period of readjustment. That's what happened last year and will probably happen again now, although probably not to the same horrible extent as last season because we already have some decent replacements in.

fari
18-08-2012, 05:15 PM
But some positives :

nice observations

fakeyank
18-08-2012, 05:18 PM
We had 57 crosses?! What game was she watching?

Olivier's xmas twist
18-08-2012, 05:26 PM
But some positives :

Steve Bould making a diffrence already :bow: Bould.

LDG
18-08-2012, 05:43 PM
Meh. If it was uncomfortable on the pitch in that hwat as it was on the sidelines, i'm not suprised by the result. It was too hot to play pacey shit, which is where we lacked. Needed more speed in our play. Got the chance we needed, but the new boy fluffed his lines.

On we go.

Alpha
18-08-2012, 06:27 PM
Spurs losing to Newcastle might make the day painless . They are 2-1 down with 1 min remaining . Come one newcastle . Beat the fucking scums .

hobson's choice
18-08-2012, 07:18 PM
Our fullbacks really did nothing to help out Gerv and Theo, you can't expect them to beat 2/3 players every time they touch the ball. No overlapping runs, those two just provided nothing in the attack.

When you have the ball that much, your fullbacks gotta be able to contribute, or at least, be able to free up some space, for the wide players .

Cripps_orig
18-08-2012, 08:11 PM
Excellent day, atmosphere was great, things went well as expected............and then Arsenal kicked off and it was all downhill from there.

Wait, i lie. It was all downhill when it was mentioned in the programme that Mo Farah couldnt be there due to Sponsorship shit. Other Olympians were there who support Arsenal including a bronze medal winner but no idea who they were. We were all there for Mo and once he didnt turn up, the crowd felt deflated, the actual football wasnt important.

But as this is a football forum and not yet call Moweb then i guess il post my views on the football.

Today was supposed to be the first day of the season. Not for us Arsenal fans. Today was just a continuation of the same old shit from the last few seasons. Theres no point having a summer break cos we learn nothing new. We can have Ronaldo, Messi, get Baresi and Maldini 15 years younger and playing for us, Pele up top and nothing will change until we get rid of the football style we play. Its awful. Go back to 4-4-2. Its what we won all those trophies with. 4-3-3/4-5-1 has been an utter failure. We have absolutely no creativity or goal threat at all. It was a terrible game to watch and the awful weather to it and no Mo then all in all it was a horrific day. Could only get worse if Wenger decided to do a strip tease in the middle of the pitch. Thankfully he didnt.

Keeper and defence were fine. I say fint but they had f all to do. Can remember Sir Ches making one save early on and after that, fuck knows. Mertesacker was very good though. Best defender we had. Verm wasnt troubled either and got the best cheer of the day. Already our best captain since Vieira imho. Impressed by Jenkinson today defensively. A bit shit offensively but that isnt his priority. After his car crash of a season last year, he started off well this. Long may it continue. Couple of dodgy moments for Gibbs but he was ok overall

Now we come to the biggest problem in the team, midfield. Diaby was Diaby. Need i say more? Arteta? Oh dear god, why cant he pass forward? so much talent going to waste with his millions and millions of side passes. We know he has the talent, we've seen it at Everton but Wengeritis is doing its work well on him. He was shocking. Cazorla on the other hand, motm for me. Bright start and he actually shot from outside the area. Whether we coach that out of him remains to be seen but he looks good on the ball and he will get better.

Up front, Podolski was starved for chances due to the ineffectiveness of the midfield but like Santi, he'll get better cos he is quality. Giroud had the best chance of the game and fucked it up. No excuses, it was a bad miss. Nothing to do with getting used to the leagie or whatever. He fucked up. Bad start for him. Gervinho can go past players, has no end product, Theo is usually marked by 2 or 3 people so cant get past players but has the end product. Merge these 2 ****s and we'll have a decent player. Alas we cant so we continue to suffer with Gerv being a bit shit and Theo not played where he would be most effective.

Subs - Ramsey did more than Diaby did whole game as soon as he came on when he had a shot. Alreday mentioned Giroud and as for Arshavin, all the talent in the world. Get his head right and we have some player. Crowd are still with him. Only GW are not and GW arent exactly known for their footballing expertise with the tard on here after all.

All in all, 5 words sum up todays shocker

Different season, same old shit

Letters
18-08-2012, 08:20 PM
Decent performance on the whole, the attacking side needs time to get on the same wavelength. Had Giroud not missed that sitter we'd be happy with a 1-0 win. Cazorla looks very good, already in tune with the league and once he develops his fitness a bit more I'm sure he'll be putting chances on a plate for Podolski and Giroud.

Walcott ineffective, Gervinho was good with everything apart from his final ball, hope he can do better with that this season. Defense didn't have much to do but did it well, I fear that a stronger attack will see us struggle. Need to sort out the fullbacks because they contribute nothing going forwards.

On to the next one.I'd go with that. The performance wasn't great but it was fine. They look like the makings of a good side but they need to gel a bit. Sunderland came for a draw and got one. They did nothing up front, I can't remember Chesney making a save all game. The Spanish midfielder dude looks good. Gervinho looked dangerous, Walcott did nothing of note. Diaby was excellent. Defensively we looked pretty solid. Need to find a cutting edge but I think we'll get there. It does look like we'll do no better than 4th but that's much as I expected pre-season and wouldn't be a disasterous outcome.

Niall_Quinn
18-08-2012, 08:23 PM
Gervinho was good with everything apart from his final ball

Sounds familiar. So he's literally valueless then? Imagine how the human race would have fared on a fuck with no end product. Nice while it lasted but extinction imminent. Same goes for this guy, will be interesting to see how long he can ride on the hope of the fans. All I know, that swimmer bloke from the States who won 18 gold medals, or whatever silly amount it is, had an end product.

gooners
18-08-2012, 08:25 PM
Sounds familiar. So he's literally valueless then? Imagine how the human race would have fared on a fuck with no end product. Nice while it lasted but extinction imminent. Same goes for this guy, will be interesting to see how long he can ride on the hope of the fans. All I know, that swimmer bloke from the States who won 18 gold medals, or whatever silly amount it is, had an end product.

the way we play summed up by one player? Barca-lite?

Letters
:lol:

:hug:

I've missed you.
No homo.

Cripps_orig
Imagine how the human race would have fared on a fuck with no end product.Let the gays take over the world and thats what we'd have tbh. A human race with no end product (babies)

Cripps_orig
18-08-2012, 08:26 PM

the way we play summed up by one player? Barca-lite?

Pretty much except they have a Messi.

We have Gervinho

We're fucked

KSE Comedy Club
18-08-2012, 08:30 PM
I'd like to add that Chris Foy was a fucking arsehole. He was giving Sunderland FK's like they were going out of fashion.

One time in the first half when gerv ran into the box and went past 2 players and ran into a 3rd, one of the Sunderland players fell over behind diaby and foy gave them a FK.

Same old fuckin shit.

Master Splinter
18-08-2012, 08:31 PM
Pretty much except they have a Messi.

We have Gervinho

We're fucked

So you admit Messi is awlsome then?

Niall_Quinn
18-08-2012, 08:32 PM
Let the gays take over the world and thats what we'd have tbh. A human race with no end product (babies)

Still the master baiter I see.

Cripps_orig
I'd like to add that Chris Foy was a fucking arsehole. He was giving Sunderland FK's like they were going out of fashion.

One time in the first half when gerv ran into the box and went past 2 players and ran into a 3rd, one of the Sunderland players feel over behind diaby and foy gave them a FK.

Same old fuckin shit.This

As much as we supported him over the Olympics, he was shocking today

gooners

oh no! what have you done?

Cripps_orig

Messi is the best in the world at what he does...

Master Splinter
18-08-2012, 08:35 PM
Messi is the best in the world at what he does...

Exactly.

He does football and is the best at it, even if it is drug-aided.

Ronaldo :haha:.

KSE Comedy Club
18-08-2012, 09:03 PM
Apparently the booing at the end was aimed at foy and his assistants, not the club.

Niall_Quinn
18-08-2012, 09:18 PM
Apparently the booing at the end was aimed at foy and his assistants, not the club.

Yes, because Foy is almost solely responsible for what's been going on at Arsenal. About time somebody outed him.

Olivier's xmas twist
18-08-2012, 09:24 PM
Yes, because Foy is almost solely responsible for what's been going on at Arsenal. About time somebody outed him.

Yeah Wenger out.

Syn
18-08-2012, 10:57 PM
Awful result. Giroud to blame - he has to put them away.

I must admit gervinho did an absoutely marvellous job of running past players and fucking up when it mattered. Absolutely marvellous job.

Diaby was no good. Walcott and Gervinho were no good. Need players with a bit more natural ability. Hope oxlade's fine.

Clean sheet though. That's new.

Cripps_orig
18-08-2012, 11:39 PM
on a frustrating result...
We played with a good spirit. We were serious, we put the effort in. Our basic fitness is alright but we lack sharpness and fluency at the moment to be dangerous in the final third. The few chances we had, we couldn't convert them. Sunderland always play the same way against us, in the final third and defensively, and if you're not sharp enough to make the difference early in the game it becomes difficult. They defended well, they defended the whole game very well, and we lacked something - sharpness and also quality and accuracy in the final pass.

on bedding in new players...
Of course [that makes a difference too]. The formula didn't work with three strikers up front and we were not well balanced, we didn't create enough because they blocked our midfield. After that it was difficult for us. We need to be more creative in the final third.

on Santi Cazorla...
I think it's difficult not to be pleased with him because he played on Wednesday night, the whole game in Puerto Rico. All the chances were created by him, basically.

on why the Club agreed terms to sell Song...
Because we have Wilshere coming back, I believe in one and a half months. We have Diaby back, we have Rosicky not far away and we might bring another midfielder in as well. You have to be patient a little bit [over any new signings].

on players leaving at their peak...
It is frustrating, we have learnt to deal with that. I believe as well that the financial potential of some clubs is massive and that makes a difference.

on replacing Robin van Persie's goals...
Maybe people are right [that he would have made a difference], maybe they are wrong - you can never check that. We have played some draws at home with Van Persie, we have lost some games with Van Persie as well. It's true that last year in every game he found something special. I never denied that we lost a world-class player, that is very difficult to replace.

I feel that Podolski is not [physically] ready yet but he has the quality, and Giroud you could see has a presence when he is on the pitch in this position. Man United looked everywhere, if they didn't buy anybody else and went for Van Persie at 29 years of age, it's because they realised that quality is difficult to find on the market.

on Giroud's chance...
Giroud had a great chance on his right foot. I think he had more time than he thought and we expected him to score that one, of course.

on getting the balance right up front...
In some games it works, in some not. We went for a different formula last year and the balance is not always right, but in this game today we needed maybe one more creative player to be a bit more accurate in the final third. There was not a lot of space left to our strikers, everything had to be created from our midfield.

on whether Song asked to leave...
He expressed a desire to go to Barcelona.

on a missed opportunity against Sunderland...
Of course. It is always frustrating in the game when you have so much possession and so little points. You have to calculate that you make a draw or two or three during a season, but you don't want to make it at the start in the first game. I personally prefer to play away in the first game.

on showing patience after Van Persie's departure...
I feel that when you are on the football pitch, you don't think about the players who are not there. You try to make a good pass when you have the ball, all the rest is not a valid excuse. We had the opportunity to play the ball quicker, our overall passing was not quick enough today in my opinion. That is not necessarily linked with Robin.

on Nicklas Bendtner...
He is likely to move, yes. There is no deal done at all.

Wengers comments

Kyle?
19-08-2012, 12:16 AM

We should hire a referee. It's worked wonders for ManUre, they have Webb and Clatterman batenburg.

Japan Shaking All Over
19-08-2012, 12:33 AM
Here is my take. . .(for what its worth)

We should be beating the likes of Sunderland at home but didnt really do enough at thw end of the day, we still have no idea on how to break 10 man defences down and I agree with Charlie, the media are going to have a field day over Girourds miss, I would have played him from the begimning, have him compete for crosses because in such matches we need to by pass the middle

Santi was goos but should have played further forward, would it not have been better to play two up top

Ralpheroo72
19-08-2012, 12:43 AM
Invincibles 2012 - unbeaten! :scarf:

Cripps_orig
19-08-2012, 12:44 AM
We should have played Giroud and Pod from the start with Cazorla behind them.

Sunderland are shit yet we played right in to their hands by playing one upfront.

There was hardly any pressure from us. It was all in front of them and they had it easy. Hardly any crosses were put in. It wa a shocking opening game display from us

Why did pod come off for Giroud? We needed a goal so put 2 upfront for the closing stages but we went like for like and nothing changed.

Same old shit

We'll finish top 4 no doubt and Wenger will feel justified as will his minions. The majority have had enough of the shit football though

AKBapologist
19-08-2012, 12:56 AM
If we had played 2 up front with 4 in midfield, we'd be talking about how shit our midfield is and how we didn't even get anywhere near creating anything in the final third instead of complaining about why only 3 out of 22 chances where on target. Even Roy Hodgson's finally coming to terms with the idea that 4-4-2 is dead.

3-5-2 on the other hand...

AKBapologist
19-08-2012, 01:00 AM
Also, those complaining about our full backs not doing enough in attack? That's part of why we seemed relatively solid defensively today, and even then Gervinho and Walcott both bailed them out once or twice yesterday. Unless you have world class fullbacks who create goal scoring opportunities every time they go up, you can't have it both ways.

fakeyank
19-08-2012, 03:04 AM
If we had played 2 up front with 4 in midfield, we'd be talking about how shit our midfield is and how we didn't even get anywhere near creating anything in the final third instead of complaining about why only 3 out of 22 chances where on target. Even Roy Hodgson's finally coming to terms with the idea that 4-4-2 is dead.

3-5-2 on the other hand...

Who said 4-4-2 is dead? Guess what formation Man City played most of their games last season? Guess who won the PL?

Not saying we go balls out when we play tough teams like City, Utd, Chelsea away.. we need to play 4-4-2 for shit kickers like Sunderland, West Brom, Norwich etc. In fact, once we have those c*nts pegged back in their half, we just go 3-0-7!

Japan Shaking All Over
19-08-2012, 05:48 AM
I agree we may have been wise to play two up top, I just dont think we know how to effectively break down those whose only plan is to entrench tgemselved and ride out 90+ minutes. I am by no means advocating long ball tactics but balls over the top ie over the midfield seems sensible.

Have Theo chase his tail off, cause by yesterdays performance that is all he can still do

Carzola looks quality though, a very good link player. . .who should have played more forward

Power n Glory
19-08-2012, 07:45 AM
First game of the season and the team needs time to gel. No need to panic. New formations and changes this early on...I think it's too early for all that.

Japan Shaking All Over
19-08-2012, 08:03 AM
Not asking for changes on a grand scale but I do think we have a serious problem breaking down the kind of defensive strategy sunderland brought yesterday

Saying that I agree it is early days and things will only get better, hopefully sooner than later because I did find myself nodding off at times yesterday

She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
19-08-2012, 11:04 AM
not winning anything or even getting close with our current defence. sliced open by one of the most negative sunderland teams to ever come to the emirates, they haven't even strengthened their attack yet this summer but still had the better chances. gibbs was caught out of position a few times as usual, jenkinson was ok but still not convincing.

we let in 49 goals last season but haven't improved the defence. that is shocking.

Alpha
19-08-2012, 11:23 AM
Not asking for changes on a grand scale but I do think we have a serious problem breaking down the kind of defensive strategy sunderland brought yesterday

Saying that I agree it is early days and things will only get better, hopefully sooner than later because I did find myself nodding off at times yesterday

Had we scored yesterday your comment could have been pointless .we did break down their defensive strategy only our dire finishing let us down .
Podolski should have scored when served by Walcott . That should have been 1-0 .
Diaby effort was well saved . 2-0 .
Carzola long range could have made it 3-0 .
And the best chance of the game that Giroud failed to bury was for 4-0 .
How can you say we didn't open up their defense ?

Syn
19-08-2012, 11:25 AM
Diaby and long-range efforts don't count as 'opening up their defence'. Podolski's chance was well covered by the defender. Only giroud had a clear chance.

Cripps_orig
19-08-2012, 11:31 AM
Girouds was the only clear cut chance we had and he Cavendished it up

1 clear cut chance in 90 minutes against a piss poor team is pathetic

Alpha
19-08-2012, 11:51 AM
Diaby and long-range efforts don't count as 'opening up their defence'. Podolski's chance was well covered by the defender. Only giroud had a clear chance.
If Podolski was quick enough he should have put that away .

Marc Overmars
19-08-2012, 11:56 AM
It was a fairly stale performance but there's no point in fine-combing the first game of the season. We'll get better.

Cripps_orig
19-08-2012, 12:01 PM
It was a fairly stale performance but there's no point in fine-combing the first game of the season. We'll get better.

It may have been the first game of the season but lets face it, it was just a continuation of the same old shit from previous seasons so didnt feel like the start of a new season at all, just the previous season continuing after a break for a few weeks for Euro 2012 and the Olympics :upset:

Marc Overmars
19-08-2012, 12:05 PM
Euros and Olympics. :bow:

Domestic Football can do one.

Syn
19-08-2012, 12:13 PM

Of course. But one thing that does deserve recognition - because we know it's not a one-off - is how good Cazorla is. People called us a one-man team last season, it looks like we'll be dependent even more on Car Soldier. He was on a level up from anyone else on the pitch. We need to hope Oxlade or Wilshere kick on this season and get on the same wavelength because we'll be able to cause some damage then. Yesterday he was playing off Diaby, Walcott and Gervinho. There's nothing to play off in that bunch. Gervinho's runs were pretty epic yesterday, but unlike Hleb, he wasn't able to find an Arsenal shirt at the end of it. Walcott will be good against teams that are forced to have a go and crud against teams that double up and aren't interested in attacking - we know that. Diaby is gay. So we need little bit more quality in middle 3.

Marc Overmars
19-08-2012, 12:17 PM
Yeah from what I saw Cozola was a cut above the rest, hopefully Sahin is more on his wavelength. It's a shame we don't have another Spanish midget for him to link up with really.

KSE Comedy Club
19-08-2012, 12:18 PM
Anybody watch sunday supplement on SS1 today?

Usual shit and bollox.

Henry winters and shaun custis and some other old ****.

We wont finish anywhere near the top 4 this year, we wont be considered title contenders for the next 10 years (seriously), we are finished if Walcott leaves.

Honestly, how do these people get their jobs?

Oh, but well done to sunderland, they did very well to get a point :rolleyes:

Yeh thats right, we all like to see 11 players stood in front of goal for 90 mins and watch a game that's nothing but a glorified penalty shootout.

Fuck off.

Syn
19-08-2012, 12:18 PM
Arteta should be in prison for passport fraud. Calls himself Spanish when he's Italian as they get.

Joker
19-08-2012, 12:24 PM
We have to learn to break down teams like Sunderland. There's no point blaming them for not attacking us and getting picked off on the counter attack. We need to work for our points against these teams, the same way Utd, Chelsea and City have to do so.

gunnerrrrr
19-08-2012, 12:24 PM
Yeah from what I saw Cozola was a cut above the rest, hopefully Sahin is more on his wavelength. It's a shame we don't have another Spanish midget for him to link up with really.

Wilshire can be that midget...if he ever gets off the crack

Marc Overmars
19-08-2012, 12:25 PM
Anybody watch sunday supplement on SS1 today?

Usual shit and bollox.

Henry winters and shaun custis and some other old ****.

We wont finish anywhere near the top 4 this year, we wont be considered title contenders for the next 10 years (seriously), we are finished if Walcott leaves.

Honestly, how do these people get their jobs?

Oh, but well done to sunderland, they did very well to get a point :rolleyes:

Yeh thats right, we all like to see 11 players stood in front of goal for 90 mins and watch a game that's nothing but a glorified penalty shootout.

Fuck off.

We're given a rough time by the media at the best of times, so why would you want to watch the people who actually write that shit?

KSE Comedy Club
19-08-2012, 12:26 PM
We have to learn to break down teams like Sunderland. There's no point blaming them for not attacking us and getting picked off on the counter attack. We need to work for our points against these teams, the same way Utd, Chelsea and City have to do so.

Agreed, but I cannot stand hearing clubs praised for going into a game and doing nothing to actually try and play it.

Newguy
19-08-2012, 12:36 PM
First game of the season and the team needs time to gel. No need to panic. New formations and changes this early on...I think it's too early for all that.

At least someone said it....I mean I thought it was just the dumb Man U fans going over the top, but it GW'ers also...I mean one fixture and the moaning has begun already...Really?? The thing is if your gonna moan after one fixture and act as if it's over, any other result wasnt gonna change your stance anyway, so I guess I shouldnt be suprised that the usual suspects are behaving as if they are on the panel for Sunday Supplement LOL.

Im positive about the season and my reasons are actually due to the departures...the doubt needs to leave the dressing room, the negativity needs to leave the club...thats's RvP, Song, Arshavin, Theo and whoever else isnt fighting for the shirt. Wenger has finally decided that if you want out there is no point keeping you. This team will gel as PnG and others have said. September is a big month for us lets see how we fair through that...but right now....everything is fine

Joker
19-08-2012, 12:40 PM
Agreed, but I cannot stand hearing clubs praised for going into a game and doing nothing to actually try and play it.

Yeah tbh I think the praise is OTT. I can understand the reason why they played that way (and given their resources, this was probably the only way they could get a point) but to act as if it's an art-form in itself is BS.

Niall_Quinn
19-08-2012, 12:54 PM
At least someone said it....I mean I thought it was just the dumb Man U fans going over the top, but it GW'ers also...I mean one fixture and the moaning has begun already...Really?? The thing is if your gonna moan after one fixture and act as if it's over, any other result wasnt gonna change your stance anyway, so I guess I shouldnt be suprised that the usual suspects are behaving as if they are on the panel for Sunday Supplement LOL.

Im positive about the season and my reasons are actually due to the departures...the doubt needs to leave the dressing room, the negativity needs to leave the club...thats's RvP, Song, Arshavin, Theo and whoever else isnt fighting for the shirt. Wenger has finally decided that if you want out there is no point keeping you. This team will gel as PnG and others have said. September is a big month for us lets see how we fair through that...but right now....everything is fine

If we are limiting the squad to those who fight for the shirt the wage bill will be zero.

Olivier's xmas twist
19-08-2012, 01:07 PM

It may have been the first game of the season but lets face it, it was just a continuation of the same old shit from previous seasons so didnt feel like the start of a new season at all, just the previous season continuing after a break for a few weeks for Euro 2012 and the Olympics :upset:

Funny thng is I know we here this so many times, but we really did lack sharpness yesterday. But i agree with Ach did not feel like a new season at all.

Same old Breakfast diffrent morning.

KSE Comedy Club
19-08-2012, 01:19 PM

:gp:

KSE Comedy Club
19-08-2012, 01:19 PM
Yeah tbh I think the praise is OTT. I can understand the reason why they played that way (and given their resources, this was probably the only way they could get a point) but to act as if it's an art-form in itself is BS.

Exactly.

Tipsychubbs
19-08-2012, 03:12 PM
I don't think its just about gelling new players, although that is true to a certain extent. There's something about our style play that is just so boring, laboured, uninventive and one-dimensional. It pretty much changed when AW replaced a box to box monster like Viera for Cesc, and then dismantled the Invincibles and filled the team with small, technical players. We don't REALLY play beautiful football anymore, but a Barca-lite version with less intelligent movement and little of the cohesive teamwork off the ball.

We've been sussed out season after season. Everyone knows how to play against Arsenal, 10 men behind the ball, cigars in mouths watching the passing, break quickly and score on the counter or setpiece, cigars back in.

When it comes off it can be decent, but a lot of the times in recent years this pass-pass-pass thing is dull and easy to defend against. We need more fluidity and variation in our play, more imagination, the ability to mix it up, play possession to keep the ball when necessary, switch when necessary.

Power n Glory
19-08-2012, 03:48 PM
I don't think its just about gelling new players, although that is true to a certain extent. There's something about our style play that is just so boring, laboured, uninventive and one-dimensional. It pretty much changed when AW replaced a box to box monster like Viera for Cesc, and then dismantled the Invincibles and filled the team with small, technical players. We don't REALLY play beautiful football anymore, but a Barca-lite version with less intelligent movement and little of the cohesive teamwork off the ball.

We've been sussed out season after season. Everyone knows how to play against Arsenal, 10 men behind the ball, cigars in mouths watching the passing, break quickly and score on the counter or setpiece, cigars back in.

When it comes off it can be decent, but a lot of the times in recent years this pass-pass-pass thing is dull and easy to defend against. We need more fluidity and variation in our play, more imagination, the ability to mix it up, play possession to keep the ball when necessary, switch when necessary.

I here what your saying and have that same fear too. From what I saw, nobody had a real poor game. That's why I think it's too early to single out players and say so and so was wasteful, toothless or whatever. There are some minor adjustments we could make like playing two strikers up front and I still think Theo is more dangerous in and around the box rather than out deep and on the flanks, but other than that, we just have to wait and see. We could play the exact same team next week and come away with a comfortable win.

But I hear what you're saying about our style of play. But put it this way, if this squad suffers from the exact same issues we have over the past few seasons, then you know it's time for Wenger to call it a day. It's a fresh squad with more experience and better quality player. If we can't get the best out of this lot, then we might as well forget it. But I think Wenger has a few more ideas up his sleeve and I was glad to hear that he thought the 3 strikers up front didn't work, so maybe he is thinking of trying something new. But we will soon see.

I still think this team need to work out how each other plays and that will take time. RVP and Walcott used to have a totally shit understanding when playing together. They used to argue on the pitch all the time because of miscommunication. RVP would make erratic movements and scream for the ball even if it wasn't clear where he wanted it and Theo would deliver a crap ball or just go for goal himself. A season later, they sorted it out and became and effective duo.

fakeyank
19-08-2012, 03:51 PM
I was glad to hear that he thought the 3 strikers up front didn't work, so maybe he is thinking of trying something new. But we will soon see.

Where was this said?

Power n Glory
19-08-2012, 03:55 PM
Where was this said?

http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archive/-our-passing-was-not-quick-enough-today-

on bedding in new players...
Of course [that makes a difference too]. The formula didn't work with three strikers up front and we were not well balanced, we didn't create enough because they blocked our midfield. After that it was difficult for us. We need to be more creative in the final third.

Not sure what he has planned next.

Syn
19-08-2012, 03:58 PM
^ Cazorla out wide, Sahin/Oxlade in middle, I suppose.

Cripps_orig
19-08-2012, 04:01 PM
Sahin in the middle

Not seen Ox in the middle apart from one game where he had no defensive responsibilities whatsoever as we had to attack so wont judge him on that

Power n Glory
19-08-2012, 04:04 PM
Maybe he'll go back to how we played in Cologne.

Alpha
19-08-2012, 04:33 PM
Drawing conclusions and judging players based on one game could be the biggest mistake from forum football experts . We have seen very good players struggling in some games and nothing has been taken away from them . To name just a few Van Persie and Rooney were shadow of themselves in the Euro but Bendtner looked like a '' world class player '' during the same tournament . I have seen better teams like Man U , City and Chelsea firing blank against Sunderland .Remember when they beat champions City last season ? It's too early to make any comment at the moment . Let's wait and see .

Boss
19-08-2012, 04:36 PM
Bendtner is a world class player so not sure what you're on about tbh.

Alpha
19-08-2012, 04:42 PM
Bendtner is a world class player so not sure what you're on about tbh.

Nicklas Bendtneeeeeeeer

Tipsychubbs
19-08-2012, 05:58 PM
Drawing conclusions and judging players based on one game could be the biggest mistake from forum football experts . We have seen very good players struggling in some games and nothing has been taken away from them . To name just a few Van Persie and Rooney were shadow of themselves in the Euro but Bendtner looked like a '' world class player '' during the same tournament . I have seen better teams like Man U , City and Chelsea firing blank against Sunderland .Remember when they beat champions City last season ? It's too early to make any comment at the moment . Let's wait and see .

Some traits are still apparent year on year though, like the tactics and motivation issue in general.

Özim
19-08-2012, 06:26 PM
It was the first game of the season, however we looked so laboured going forward and seemed to lack imagination, right now it looks like a carbon copy of previous Wenger teams of the last 7 years.

Other teams seem to have done OK in their 1st game, knocking in a number of goals so I don't see why we should be able to use that as an excuse. It's lack of desire to get the job done IMO.

KSE Comedy Club
19-08-2012, 06:41 PM
Where was this said?

Wait, what 3 strikers?

Poldi, Walcott, ?

Don't tell me gerv is a fucking striker! Not a fucking chance is he!

Syn
19-08-2012, 06:54 PM
In his career he has played up front more times than Theo has.

(I'm completely chancing this, but it sounds true)

Marc Overmars
19-08-2012, 07:03 PM
I think he was a striker by trade for Lille IIRC.

Power n Glory
19-08-2012, 07:04 PM
It was the first game of the season, however we looked so laboured going forward and seemed to lack imagination, right now it looks like a carbon copy of previous Wenger teams of the last 7 years.

Other teams seem to have done OK in their 1st game, knocking in a number of goals so I don't see why we should be able to use that as an excuse. It's lack of desire to get the job done IMO.

Other teams...if we'd have conceded two goals like City did against Saints, but still won, there would be a panic about our defence. Chelsea won but weren't impressive. Two early goal but nothing after that. Liverpool were hammered, Spurs lost...none of our rivals got off to flying starts.

KSE Comedy Club
19-08-2012, 07:04 PM
In his career he has played up front more times than Theo has.

(I'm completely chancing this, but it sounds true)

KSE Comedy Club
19-08-2012, 07:05 PM
I think he was a striker by trade for Lille IIRC.

Oh god.

He's more like a, a......err.......mad dribbler.

KSE Comedy Club
19-08-2012, 07:09 PM
Other teams...if we'd have conceded two goals like City did against Saints, but still won, there would be a panic about our defence. Chelsea won but weren't impressive. Two early goal but nothing after that. Liverpool were hammered, Spurs lost...none of our rivals got off to flying starts.
This.

We are going to be criticised, lambasted, slaughtered no matter what happens.

Fuck, I'm beginning to think even if we had won yesterday We would've been slagged off :rolleyes:

The general arsenal consensus from the media was sumed up today on Sunday supplement.

They haven't got the slightest fucking clue and just cannot wait to see us fail.

gooners
19-08-2012, 07:50 PM

do you think arsenal can do that even if their life depended on it?

it can be an art form.

Injury Time
19-08-2012, 09:44 PM
Need iPod & OG upfront together, individually look smart, strong and able to creat themselves some space....Girohnojustfuckinhititfirstimeu**** could be awesome if he would just stop living up to his name <_<, Ramsay, Calzone looks promising, no one trusted Jerkinson to cross despite numerous overlap runs, Theo hmm, Gibbs hmm, Mertz ok, Verm looked a bit tight, Arteta bit rusty but gettin back to form, ok Diaby turned up, Shez had one rush to the head. pie man looked lively when he came on.

KSE Comedy Club
19-08-2012, 09:48 PM
I really don't think diaby will work in this team. He just seems to sit in a holding role, then just when arteta/cazorla thought they were covered to start going forward, diaby would get the ball then go on a run straight through to try and set himself up for a shot.

Hmm.

Cripps_orig
19-08-2012, 10:45 PM
Other teams...if we'd have conceded two goals like City did against Saints, but still won, there would be a panic about our defence. Chelsea won but weren't impressive. Two early goal but nothing after that. Liverpool were hammered, Spurs lost...none of our rivals got off to flying starts.Agreed. Spuds and Liverpool both lost.

Newcastle won though

No point looking at the big 3 as they arent rivals

Power n Glory
19-08-2012, 11:04 PM
Agreed. Spuds and Liverpool both lost.

Newcastle won though

No point looking at the big 3 as they arent rivals

Yeah, we might have to keep an eye on Newcastle this year. They haven't sold key players or changed managers so could challenge for the top four. But it's too early to rule us out of the title race. I really don't know what to expect from this team but I'm confident we'll get a top four finish.

LDG
20-08-2012, 08:43 AM
"You cannot conclude on one game, but we knew before we started [that it would be difficult to replace Van Persie's 37 goals]," he said.

"Podolski and Giroud together scored 40 last year, so we have a credit of three.....

WUMger :bow:

Dennis Bendtner
20-08-2012, 05:13 PM
Didn't catch the game. Popular thought suggests Podolski and the like were off the pace. Not so surprising. Has anyone at the club come out with anything about the lack of pre-season fixtures this year? Poldo himself said he feels a couple of weeks off match fit. It seems like the club did not adequately compensate for the lack of Emirates Cup this year and kind of muddled things, especially for Poldo and Giroud. Not going to help us better an awful start last year. Anyway, other than that, 0-0 it's a marathon not a sprint. More attacking cohesion should come, though more optimistic about Giroud than Podolski through the middle right now.

SayNoMore
20-08-2012, 06:13 PM
Points already dropped, i hope this is a one off but even if we play shite we need to beat teams like Sunderland at home. Squad gelling together is a factor but id prefer podolski on the left and giroud up front from now.

LDG
20-08-2012, 09:03 PM
Points already dropped, i hope this is a one off but even if we play shite we need to beat teams like Sunderland at home. Squad gelling together is a factor but id prefer podolski on the left and giroud up front from now.

Oh well.

Was better than Utd.

RVC :haha:

Cripps_orig
20-08-2012, 09:04 PM

AKBapologist
20-08-2012, 09:08 PM

selassie
20-08-2012, 09:09 PM
From the little highlights I've seen I thought we looked quite good in spells, Cazorla especially looked superb. We've a way to go yet, if we're honest....top 4 is the expectation this season and I think we're capable of it.

Cripps_orig
20-08-2012, 09:10 PM
From the little highlights I've seen I thought we looked quite good in spells, Cazorla especially looked superb. We've a way to go yet, if we're honest....top 4 is the expectation this season and I think we're capable of it.

Stay on topic please

Laughing at RVC

Olivier's xmas twist
20-08-2012, 09:12 PM

Thought GW said he scores when he wants ? :haha:

The Ogg Monster
21-08-2012, 10:19 AM
Whats PVC mean?

KSE Comedy Club
21-08-2012, 10:34 AM
[QUOTE=The Ogg Monster;180195]Whats RVC meen?[/QUOVE]
Robin van **** I think.

Joker
21-08-2012, 10:36 AM
_QUOTE=Charlie the Gooner;179991]Thought GW said he scores when le wants ? :haha:[/QUOTE]

He's actually a bit of shit finisher. Remember all the missed chances against!Stoke, Norwich end WBA `t the end of the season? Those who say he was the reason we got 3rd place need to realise that It was his misses that took it dkwn to the last `ay of the season anyway.

The Ogg Monster
21-08-2012, 03:45 PM
RVC unt, subtle.

fakeyank
21-08-2012, 03:49 PM
He's actually a bit of shit finisher. Remember all the missed chances against Stoke, Norwich and WBA at the end of the season? Those who say he was the reason we got 3rd place need to realise that it was his misses that took it down to the last day of the season anyway.

Dont forget the milan miss! :(

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=caqDbP4Lqro

Cripps_orig
22-08-2012, 12:24 PM

Anyway the most important thing to come out of this match was, why the fuck wasnt Wonder Of You played before the match?

With no Mo and no Elvis, the crowd werent pumped at all.

Arsenal :doh:

Xhaka Can’t
22-08-2012, 12:28 PM
He's actually a bit of shit finisher. Remember all the missed chances against Stoke, Norwich and WBA at the end of the season? Those who say he was the reason we got 3rd place need to realise that it was his misses that took it down to the last day of the season anyway.

I think he is a **** but don't rewrite history.

Without Van Persie last season would have been our worst in the league since the glory years of 92-93.