PDA

View Full Version : Match Reaction v Scrotes

Pages : [1] 2

Cripps_orig
26-08-2012, 02:19 PM
Positives first

Another clean sheet

Now the rest, what a piss poor game. We need creativity desperately.

4-5-1 has had it. Back to 4-4-2 asap

Olivier's xmas twist
26-08-2012, 02:20 PM
Positives first

Another clean sheet

Now the rest, what a piss poor game. We need creativity desperately.

4-5-1 has had it. Back to 4-4-2 asap

Can't this agree, Quality needed Wenger need to buy or Fuck off.

AKBapologist
26-08-2012, 02:21 PM
LOL

After 7 years of complaining about the defense... Be careful of what you wish for.

Ollie the Optimist
26-08-2012, 02:21 PM
we look strong and discilpined at hte back, lack creativity, and wilkinson should have been given a straight red for a leg breaking tackle the stupid ****

fakeyank
26-08-2012, 02:22 PM
Liverpool next week.. another draw then?! :unsure:

Cripps_orig
LOL

After 7 years of complaining about the defense... Be careful of what you wish for.

Ive always said the attack was our biggest weakness

Olivier's xmas twist
LOL

True, we look Awesome at the back, but we need a top class striker and to go back to 442.

McNamara That Ghost...
We're doing better than last season already.

Arsenal. :bow:

4-4-2. :lol:

Give it up guys, those days are gone.

Marc Overmars
26-08-2012, 02:23 PM
Defensively very good.

Attacking wise, pretty shit again.

Maybe in the past we would have lost that though due to some shoddy defending, so at least we've got a base to build from.

AKBapologist
Also, Diaby, starting to look the business. Needs to speed up though.

hobson's choice
Did Begavic even have to make a save today?

Olivier's xmas twist
26-08-2012, 02:24 PM
We're doing better than last season already.

Arsenal. :bow:

4-4-2. :lol:

Give it up guys, those days are gone.

Parry said we started off with 2 0-0 drawa like last season lol.

She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
improved defensive display compared to last season but that's not hard is it.

cazorla really is class and a top signing, more of the same please.

mannone done well.

gervinho is shite, ox and theo should have come on sooner.

love the fact that giroud has the balls to shoot, great improvement on chamakh.

mertesacker man of the match for me.

gooners
LOL

it was only stoke btw :beer:

Boss
Need some more creativity desperately, makes us missing out on Sahin look like a very poor move.

Reasonable otherwise, I'm sure the players we bought have it in them to score, just need some more time I guess.

hobson's choice

Like that's ever gonna happen:haha:

Master Splinter
Lacking little bit sharpness, incisiveness and directness up front.

At least one more striker needed to add further options.

Defence untroubled.

Gervinho is a Must Not Start.

Cripps_orig
26-08-2012, 02:25 PM
He said we started with 2 goal less games like last season and we didnt score in the first 2 last season either

McNamara That Ghost...

No we drew one and lost one last season. Then, the Man Utd game came.

She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
also the one thing we're going to miss from song is his defensive splitting passes. his creativity was very good and we're missing that.

Olivier's xmas twist

Diaby needs alot of work tbh.

Defensively very good.

Attacking wise, pretty shit again.

Maybe in the past we would have lost that though due to some shoddy defending, so at least we've got a base to build from.

Goals will come but we need to be better and we need to buy this weeks its a must imo and if AW can't see that then he should go on saturday.

Aida
Never thought i would say this but Ramsey looks like his ready to step up i hope he starts next game he looks up for it , I like Diaby but he is not creative enough to play where is he playing. He needs to be a defensive midfielder.

Joker
26-08-2012, 02:26 PM
Garbage match

Cripps_orig
Why when we bring on some pace and technical ability in Theo and Ox do we take off our main creative threat in Cazorla?

gunnerrrrr
She'd have given Asharvin a game.....we lack a cutting edge....not creativity

Cripps_orig
26-08-2012, 02:27 PM
Arteta MOTM :lol:

AKBapologist
26-08-2012, 02:29 PM
With Arsenal looking like united, United looking like Arsenal, the Title this year is between Shitty and Chavs. What a shit weekend.

AKBapologist
26-08-2012, 02:30 PM
She'd have given Asharvin a game.....we lack a cutting edge....not creativity

He's fucking off next week, as are bendy, park bench and squidface, probably lansbury and eastmond too (over 21s)

She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
26-08-2012, 02:30 PM
need jack back asap. cazorla's playing too deep at times, almost playing the deep playmaker role when we need him to be in the AM constantly. when cazorla sits back we really have no creative threat in the opposition half.

AKBapologist
26-08-2012, 02:32 PM
The midfield are fine, the strikers/wide men where poor. We practically played 4-5-2 as Podolski drifted midfield far too much.

Marc Overmars
26-08-2012, 02:33 PM
Could have done with Alex Song tbh. Say what you want about his defensive ability, he was pretty good at choosing the right pass when attacking. We are missing him.

Gervais is awful, no way should he be starting ahead of Theo.

Cripps_orig
Well done to Mannone as well

No retarded moments we surely would have seen from the 2 Poles.

Didnt have much to do but what he did do, he did well. Our new number 1

Dennis Bendtner
Without wanting to use the footballer cliche too much, I do think the lack of attacking cohesion will improve. Not just because Arteta just said it. We haven't had this many changes in that department in a long time. Logically it has to take a while with all the new guys. Giroud looks like he'll be very good, and Podolski impressed me more on the left than I imagined he would. Question of patience I think. But the pace of Walcott/Chamberlain from the start would help. Disappointed to draw really. Got to win these games. But we were resolute defensively. Cazorla looks the ideal fit for his role.

gooners
26-08-2012, 02:38 PM
Could have done with Alex Song tbh. Say what you want about his defensive ability, he was pretty good at choosing the right pass when attacking. We are missing him.

Gervais is awful, no way should he be starting ahead of Theo.

we are still missing ljunberg,pires,vieira,henry,bergkamp....etc.

we will stop missing players when we stop spending like we are still in the '90s.

The Wengerbabies
26-08-2012, 02:38 PM
He has always had one or two good games in him, then he goes back to being shit (or injured) I expect nothing different this time round.

Niall_Quinn
26-08-2012, 02:39 PM
Did none of you know Columbo was on ITV? Very good episode, stuff happened in it. Still on if you want to catch the end and avert a completely wasted and pointless afternoon.

Meanwhile, watched 5 mins of that garbage being served up by the team formerly known as Arsenal. Diaby - Lol. Gervinho - lol. Comedy players, fucking clueless. But we knew that. RvP carried the team last year. Song provided some of the ammunition. Both have been sold. Therefore the season is over before it started. This is the inescapable fact. It would be okay if the team could provide even 30 seconds of entertainment every once in a while. But it can't, it's incapable. No pace, no purpose, no urgency, no flair, no guts, but we knew this too. Arsenal is without a doubt the most boring team playing the game today. It's technical, there's a lot of possession, but the style completely lacks the fundamental objective of scoring a goal - the players just aren't good enough in the area that matters, the final third. You cannot be Barcelona with second rate players. It's the talent all over the pitch that makes Barca tick. Take away that talent and replace it with Arsenal journeymen and it's obvious what you'll get. Rubbish.

I'm basing this judgement on last season, and the season before and before a d before. I am completely comfortable and confident assessing the games this season, without actually enduring them, because you don't need to see it to know what will happen. That's how predictable the team is.

Don't know who they are playing next but I predict they'll play a slow possession game with zero end product. Lol. Who would dare bet against me?

fakeyank
Walcott does not do a whole lot on the wings.. time to stick him up front with Giroud and have Podolski, Ox on the wings

Grebbo
Gervinho is still crap and we desperately need to buy a striker

Japan Shaking All Over
I think it is clear we are in tranisition mode guys especially in the top third. . .but there is a lot of hope as I think the new guys look very decent.

Not sure it was creativity we lacked more cutting edge, we seemed to go back to the tippy tap shit at times. . .although there were more shots than usual.

Things are going to go through Cazorla and he looks the nuts. . .I would stick with playing Giourd up front with Pods on the left but sorry Gerv played himself out of the starting 11 today, he just seems so cumbersome and lacks end product, my choice would be Oxo over Theo.

Diaby did ok but gets caught up at times, may need someone with more flair.

However, we got a point and next we need some goals to really get things going, its going to be interesting to see what happens from now till Friday.

The result wasnt what I wanted and we did play great but I will take the point and thank god I dont have to see us near Stoke again for another year

gooners
26-08-2012, 02:40 PM
Without wanting to use the footballer cliche too much, I do think the lack of attacking cohesion will improve. Not just because Arteta just said it. We haven't had this many changes in that department in a long time. Logically it has to take a while with all the new guys. Giroud looks like he'll be very good, and Podolski impressed me more on the left than I imagined he would. Question of patience I think. But the pace of Walcott/Chamberlain from the start would help. Disappointed to draw really. Got to win these games. But we were resolute defensively. Cazorla looks the ideal fit for his role.

not wanting to sound grim but it was the same last season -- rvp was the difference in many such instances.

The Wengerbabies
26-08-2012, 02:41 PM
Did none of you know Columbo was on ITV? Very good episode, stuff happened in it. Still on if you want to catch the end and avert a completely wasted and pointless afternoon.

Meanwhile, watched 5 mins of that garbage being served up by the team formerly known as Arsenal. Diaby - Lol. Gervinho - lol. Comedy players, fucking clueless. But we knew that. RvP carried the team last year. Song provided some of the ammunition. Both have been sold. Therefore the season is over before it started. This is the inescapable fact. It would be okay if the team could provide even 30 seconds of entertainment every once in a while. But it can't, it's incapable. No pace, no purpose, no urgency, no flair, no guts, but we knew this too. Arsenal is without a doubt the most boring team playing the game today. It's technical, there's a lot of possession, but the style completely lacks the fundamental objective of scoring a goal - the players just aren't good enough in the area that matters, the final third. You cannot be Barcelona with second rate players. It's the talent all over the pitch that makes Barca tick. Take away that talent and replace it with Arsenal journeymen and it's obvious what you'll get. Rubbish.

I'm basing this judgement on last season, and the season before and before a d before. I am completely comfortable and confident assessing the games this season, without actually enduring them, because you don't need to see it to know what will happen. That's how predictable the team is.

Don't know who they are playing next but I predict they'll play a slow possession game with zero end product. Lol. Who would dare bet against me?

If you've given up with football like you say, why are you still wasting your time posting this?

gooners
26-08-2012, 02:42 PM

:haha:

just read a post saying we are in "transition" ------- again.

Özim
26-08-2012, 02:42 PM
Pathetic performance to be honest, Wenger clearly just doesn't have a clue how to setup a team these days. Two games no goals scored against two teams we should be beating.

Not gonna be a good season by the looks of this, totally devoid of ideas....very very disappointed....time for the old man to pack his bags I'm afraid.

Joker
26-08-2012, 02:43 PM
Another mad dash in the final few days of the transfer window is probably required/

KSE Comedy Club

Yeh, the horseshit business :lol:

gooners
If you've given up with football like you say, why are you still wasting your time posting this?

because he can?

Cripps_orig
26-08-2012, 02:44 PM
7 points behind Chelsea already

Out of the title race after 2 games for 2 seasons in a row

Tipsychubbs
26-08-2012, 02:44 PM
Impressed with the overall defensive performance, not just the back four, but also our defensive midefield shape when we didn’t have the ball was better too. All over the pitch players gave as good as they got and were happy to get stuck in, Stoke certainly didn’t bully us as much as they used to recently. Bould seems to be having a good effect.

Attacking wise same problems. There is still little movement with our attacking play, most of the time it was too static. More players need to move around into space and in terms of making forward runs, or dribbling and taking players on when they had the ball. Many times Cazorla had the ball and had to slow things down because there were so many standing still. We looked more dangerous when someone took a chance to dribble it or make a run forward, but it didn’t happen enough.

Toronto Gooner
26-08-2012, 02:46 PM
There are lots of cliches that can be thrown about at this moment: Could do better; it will take time; etc.

The reality is that this is a new team with a new attacking system and key player. It would have been fantastic if things had gone right from the beginning but they have not. Now we have to look towards next week and next weekend. I think that Arsnal need a couple of new players and they need a result from the Liverpool match. Personally, I would not be surprised to see an Arsenal win but it will be very difficult.

They shoed an interview with Geoff Cameron of Stoke, and it speaks volumes that Stoke wanted to stop Arsenal playing more than they wanted to play their game.

Cripps_orig
Bould has sorted the defence out

Get Bergkamp in to sort out the attack

Get Wenger out and bring in Laudrup and we play decent football once again

Letters
Ive always said the attack was our biggest weakness
Then you've always been wrong.

Letters
26-08-2012, 02:47 PM
Meh. A point away at Stoke is not a disaster. We need Podolski and Giroud to get going quickly though, it is worrying where the goals are going to come from.

Cripps_orig
Then you've always been wrong.

7 years of winning shit proves me right

Not winning the title in 07/08 cos of 4 0-0s in a row also does tbh

Niall_Quinn

Good point, just like when somebody dies. Kick them in a hole and forget they ever lived. This is a forum to discuss football. It's not the actual match. Different things. Anyway, I'm going to watch Barca later. Hate them but at least they can play.

Özim
26-08-2012, 02:48 PM
There are lots of cliches that can be thrown about at this moment: Could do better; it will take time; etc.

The reality is that this is a new team with a new attacking system and key player. It would have been fantastic if things had gone right from the beginning but they have not. Now we have to look towards next week and next weekend. I think that Arsnal need a couple of new players and they need a result from the Liverpool match. Personally, I would not be surprised to see an Arsenal win but it will be very difficult.

They shoed an interview with Geoff Cameron of Stoke, and it speaks volumes that Stoke wanted to stop Arsenal playing more than they wanted to play their game.
The reality is we've been waiting for 7 years, we're not gonna wait for another year or two. This is the final final final final chance, looks like he's blown it.

gunnerrrrr
26-08-2012, 02:48 PM
Meh. A point away at Stoke is not a disaster. We need Podolski and Giroud to get going quickly though, it is worrying where the goals are going to come from.

This

Ernesto
26-08-2012, 02:50 PM
Forgive me as I state the obvious, but a draw at the Britannia is clearly a damn sight better than a loss. By 3.30pm today, we could've found ourselves in exactly the same predicament as we did last season. 2 games, 1 point. We're a smidgen better this season, but we're hardly setting the world alight.

And this is what I'd like to focus on. Tactically, we're a mess. Our players aren't set up in the right positions from defence upwards and they are making limited positive movement in the final 3rd. For us to have 12 corners in a game and not even threaten the 'keeper once today shows that we're not learning from last season's mistakes. Either that, or we choose not to improve in an area in which we CAN score goals. Seeing as we always seem to be at sixes and sevens when defending corners, too (thank goodness Stoke didn't get one today!) is perhaps the proof in the pudding that we are deciding not to practise the art of taking and defending set-pieces in training.

It doesn't even appear to be a problem in attitude, either. The only player I saw causing a strop was Giroud, a player who didn't affect the game today and ought to have made way instead of Podolski. I'm hoping this is just a question of getting up to match fitness for most of our players. We used to have a ECL qualifier in the first midweek of the season, and while it's nice not to have such a stressful game on our heads this time around, it was probably still responsible for helping our players gel and push on in the league.

Ah, well. Bring on Liverpool. If the law of averages are anything to go by, they're due a win against us at Anfield, so I look foward to next week's game with baited breath.

Cripps_orig
Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger: "It was a solid game and we showed a dominant spirit and there are a lot of positives. The negatives are we didn't score in our first two games but I think that will come because we have lot of new players."

Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger: "We have some work to do on [creating chances] front. Give credit to Stoke, they defended very well. They played a real committed game, and were well organised. You always felt that we were dangerous, but we couldn't finish it off and we have work to do in the final third. I don't want to take anything from Robin van Persie because he is an exceptional player, but I still don't worry that we will score goals with the players we have."

On transfer business: "I don't rule it out. We are active, we have eyes open and there could still be some action in the transfer market."

Full comments coming later

Letters
7 years of winning shit proves me right
That doesn't make sense. We've scored more than most teams over the last 7 years. That has never been an issue. Even last year we scored more than anyone outside the top 2.
Where we've fallen down repeatedly is conceding more goals than anyone in the top 4. :good:

Syn
26-08-2012, 02:51 PM
Thought the back four, esp. Jenkers and the overrated worse-than-shit Vermaelen were absolutely brilliant today.

Diaby was a let down but he is trying hard. Poor play from Giroud is the reason we don't have 6/6, IMO. Ah well, I don't mind a point from Stoke. They'll take points from other top teams too. It's the Sunderland draw that bothers 'me.

Dennis Bendtner
26-08-2012, 02:51 PM
not wanting to sound grim but it was the same last season -- rvp was the difference in many such instances.

My point is that there needs to be a time allowance. I thought our pre-season this year was pretty lame and the Euro 2012 players had so little time to gain fitness and play together. Possibly we are playing catch-up now which is not great. Since last season the entire attack has been overhauled - one being Cazorla as the playmaker, another being Podolski out wide (hopefully instead of Gervinho next game). Van Persie was quality but these are all changes to make up for his absence.

Toronto Gooner
26-08-2012, 02:52 PM
... Many times Cazorla had the ball and had to slow things down because there were so many standing still. ...

I have noticed this in both games. Cazorla is thinking at a much faster pace than the rest of the team. Hopefully over the next few weeks, they will catch up and the movement and pace will be there.

At the end of the game, the Stoke players were exhausted because they were chasing for a large part of the game. If Arsenal can speed up their passing and movement, then teams will reach the exhaustion point much earlier in the game and there will be more opportunities and goals for Arsenal.

cheesy bites
Solid defensively - impressed me.

Lack of creativity was pathetic. But Cazorla looks amazing, and Gervinho is shite

Cripps_orig
That doesn't make sense. We've scored more than most teams over the last 7 years. That has never been an issue. Even last year we scored more than anyone outside the top 2.
Where we've fallen down repeatedly is conceding more goals than anyone in the top 4. :good:I gave you an example which you conveniently ignored.

No more to say on the matter

Marc Overmars

I think we're seeing just how important RVC was. We even looked blunt at the best of times last year but always had him to rely on. It will take time to adjust and find a new source of goals, you just can't expect to pick up where you left off by selling a player of his ability.

Same goes for Song but to a lesser extent.

Transition is a word that always pops up with us but I do think it's quite relevant at the moment, because Song and RVC were far more integral to us at their point of sale than Nasri and Cesc were.

Toronto Gooner
26-08-2012, 02:55 PM
The reality is we've been waiting for 7 years, we're not gonna wait for another year or two. This is the final final final final chance, looks like he's blown it.

In that time, only Man U, Chelsea and Man City hve won the title. Let me ask a simple question: Do you support Arsenal or success?

Olivier's xmas twist
7 points behind Chelsea already

Out of the title race after 2 games for 2 seasons in a row

Oh stop being silly we were never in the race and you knew it.

Pathetic performance to be honest, Wenger clearly just doesn't have a clue how to setup a team these days. Two games no goals scored against two teams we should be beating.

Not gonna be a good season by the looks of this, totally devoid of ideas....very very disappointed....time for the old man to pack his bags I'm afraid.

No it was not far from it we played quite well just missed a few chances is all. How do you know its not going to be a good season because we have not started well in 2 games it was clear we'd struggle in. if you were expecting 6 points out of 6 then more fool you it was never going to happen.

We have not beating stoke at home for ages so you can't say we should be beating them no one in the top 4 beat them there last season, with the team we had out did you really see us getting 3 points?

Cripps_orig
When Cazorla and Podolski get on the same wavelength, it should be awesome

Giroud has been a bit horrific so far but he was never that good in the first place.

Cripps_orig
26-08-2012, 02:56 PM
Oh stop being silly we were never in the race and you knew it.

No it was not far from it we played quite well just missed a few chances is all. How do you know its not going to be a good season because we have not started well in 2 games it was clear we'd struggle in. if you were expecting 6 points out of 6 then more fool you it was never going to happen.

We have not beating stoke at home for ages so you can't say we should be beating them no one in the top 4 beat them there last season, with the team we had out did you really see us getting 3 points?

We beat them in 09/10 at their ground

Ralpheroo72
26-08-2012, 02:58 PM
could we put Cyanide in Gervinhos porridge before the next game? He was pish. Giroud will come good, and so will Podolski. You can see Bould's influence on the 2 center backs already, Stoke never got near Mannone.

fakeyank
Play Walcott upfront with Giroud... somethings got to change. FFS Arsene!

Özim
A draw isn't a disaster of course, the problem is we're already dropping points just like last season. I was hoping to see some sort of improvement and a team able to put up a better fight...sadly it appears we're going to see much the same of previous seasons, ok the defence looked OK today but there will be biggest tests.

Unless we sign some quality players, I think we're gonna struggle...but it's to be expected when you sell two first teamers and only bring in three when you already weren't good enough the previous season, the fact we sold a top top players who also carried the team last season isn't going to help either.

A few weeks back I was pretty upbeat, we'd brought in some good players and not sold anyone, right now though I feel pretty disappointed and am seriously worried we won't sign anyone of note.

Olivier's xmas twist
26-08-2012, 02:59 PM

What does this mean you planning a protest then?

Niall_Quinn
26-08-2012, 02:59 PM
Arsenal going through a transition period? First time that's ever happened. I'm sure a couple of payers will emerge this season to drag the rest through to a top four finish. Then they can be sold and then we can have another transition period. And best of all, we a all reset and say, just wait, until the transition period is over...

Olivier's xmas twist
26-08-2012, 03:00 PM
We beat them in 09/10 at their ground

Ok Once. Yes we should be beating them but we all know we will stuggle there.

gooners
26-08-2012, 03:00 PM
In that time, only Man U, Chelsea and Man City hve won the title. Let me ask a simple question: Do you support Arsenal or success?

what is worng with supporting both? apparently we are a big club?

Cripps_orig
26-08-2012, 03:01 PM
What does this mean you planning a protest then?

Been there, done that

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_ln0cmSUs0

We want our Arsenal back

Özim
26-08-2012, 03:02 PM

Hardly, all we did is pass the ball slowly weaving pretty patterns, there was little or no penetration and I personally don't see that as "playing quite well", if that's playing quite well then we're in trouble.

I was expecting at least 4 points, but 6 should have been achievable, I'm not accepting we're going to be 4th anymore as an excuse, if we don't deliver then that's it. I'm not going into the season hoping we get 4th, if I did I wouldn't bother watching.....4th is worthless.

Olivier's xmas twist
26-08-2012, 03:02 PM
A draw isn't a disaster of course, the problem is we're already dropping points just like last season. I was hoping to see some sort of improvement and a team able to put up a better fight...sadly it appears we're going to see much the same of previous seasons, ok the defence looked OK today but there will be biggest tests.

Unless we sign some quality players, I think we're gonna struggle...but it's to be expected when you sell two first teamers and only bring in three when you already weren't good enough the previous season, the fact we sold a top top players who also carried the team last season isn't going to help either.

A few weeks back I was pretty upbeat, we'd brought in some good players and not sold anyone, right now though I feel pretty disappointed and am seriously worried we won't sign anyone of note.

Obvioulsly and i think we will not sure who or how many but i think we will see a few more faces in and out.

Toronto Gooner
26-08-2012, 03:03 PM
There is nothing wrong with doing both. However, the constant harping on about the lack of success detracts from the support of the team, IMO.

Toronto Gooner
26-08-2012, 03:05 PM
Been there, done that

We want our Arsenal back

Which Arsenal is that?

Marc Overmars
Time for Navas tbf.

Cozola needs someone to make those runs for him.

Özim
There is nothing wrong with doing both. However, the constant harping on about the lack of success detracts from the support of the team, IMO.
After 7 years of delivering nothing when smaller clubs have managed to achieve success, I don't think 4th place is acceptable anymore.

Özim
26-08-2012, 03:06 PM
Time for Navas tbf.

Cozola needs someone to make those runs for him.
We basically need players who don't play Wengerball, as you could see Cazorla's game is very different......but his teammates are largely use to this slow paced passing football which is ineffective. If we don't sign some different players it won't be long before he slows down or worse still turns into Arshavin.

I just don't get this slow passing football, it hasn't worked so why does Wenger persist with it?

Power n Glory
26-08-2012, 03:06 PM
The team looks too mechanical and stiff. We need time to gel but it worries me that we're not seeing any real individual brilliance on display. Not enough players trying to take on their man and create space by being more direct. Instead, we get a team trying to imitate a style of play past Arsenal teams have played and it ends up with miss hit passes, static movement and players looking out of sorts.

Cripps_orig
26-08-2012, 03:07 PM
Which Arsenal is that?
One that cares more for football than money

Marc Overmars
26-08-2012, 03:08 PM
We should also ask for Fabregas back on loan...

Olivier's xmas twist
Hardly, all we did is pass the ball slowly weaving pretty patterns, there was little or no penetration and I personally don't see that as "playing quite well", if that's playing quite well then we're in trouble.

I was expecting at least 4 points, but 6 should have been achievable, I'm not accepting we're going to be 4th anymore as an excuse, if we don't deliver then that's it. I'm not going into the season hoping we get 4th, if I did I wouldn't bother watching.....4th is worthless.

As a match i thought it was a good game not the best but a good game, I agree our offensive play was not the best but to be expected with the new signings settling in it takes time to get use to this league from the french and German. i agree Aw started off well but managed to AW it up like only he knows how. But with the team out i thought we loose and with that keeper too.

The defence was good so i can take positives from that but the likes of Diaby and Gev are shite and need to be sqaud palyers.

Of course you have to go into the season positive its only right, but you have to be realistic too. Only this week will really tells us if we can go on and win the league but it depends who we bring in or not.

gooners
One that cares more for football than money

:bow:

Özim
26-08-2012, 03:10 PM
The team looks too mechanical and stiff. We need time to gel but it worries me that we're not seeing any real individual brilliance on display. Not enough players trying to take on their man and create space by being more direct. Instead, we get a team trying to imitate a style of play past Arsenal teams have played and it ends up with miss hit passes, static movement and players looking out of sorts.
Got to agree with this, there's very little real flair....what opens up teams is when someone takes players one and dribbles past them, we just pass in front of a wall of players...it's pointless.

Perfect example was the Torres goal yesterday and with Hazard playing that lovely flick. Ironically we use to play like this before we adopting this boring pass pass football.

Olivier's xmas twist
26-08-2012, 03:10 PM
Been there, done that

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_ln0cmSUs0

We want our Arsenal back

What happend did you get what you want.

Globalgunner
26-08-2012, 03:12 PM
Dont know when wenger will wake up and realise that our slow play is what is killing us. Our build up is lethargic and this is exemplified by Diaby. The man moves like he is in a mudpit. We need to get back to the fast offense that destabilises defenders like we used to do with Pires, Henry, Llyungberg etc. This slow build up is pissing me off backward passing always on the way to goal. Gervinho is unadulterated garbage a fraud player just like Eboue was, totally ibcapable of doing anything right. Ramset looked bright when he came on, maybe it was just the opposition but he seemed really up for it. I dont mind Giroud not passing to him for that last chance, we all know Ramseys shooting is only slightly better than Stevie Wonders dart throwing.

Olivier's xmas twist
26-08-2012, 03:13 PM
We basically need players who don't play Wengerball, as you could see Cazorla's game is very different......but his teammates are largely use to this slow paced passing football which is ineffective. If we don't sign some different players it won't be long before he slows down or worse still turns into Arshavin.

I just don't get this slow passing football, it hasn't worked so why does Wenger persist with it?

Because its his way, just like it was Cryuffs way too. If that is Wenger being real to himself then good for him but some times you need to be less selfish, less proud and change you ways and wenger needs to do it more now.

Olivier's xmas twist
26-08-2012, 03:14 PM
Got to agree with this, there's very little real flair....what opens up teams is when someone takes players one and dribbles past them, we just pass in front of a wall of players...it's pointless.

Perfect example was the Torres goal yesterday and with Hazard playing that lovely flick. Ironically we use to play like this before we adopting this boring pass pass football.

When we sign to players who cost £80 mill then we may play like that but with the players like we have we never will.

Football we play is not boring its the players we have if you get the right players it comes off Ask Barca.

Cripps_orig
26-08-2012, 03:15 PM
What happend did you get what you want.

If only

Özim
Because its his way, just like it was Cryuffs way too. If that is Wenger being real to himself then good for him but some times you need to be less selfish, less proud and change you ways and wenger needs to do it more now.
You say that but his teams use to play much quicker, more direct football.....for some reason he at some point decided to change a winning formula...and this is what it has led to.

Everyone though Cesc was the problem, it seems to me it's Wenger and his blind faith in this type of football which he still seems to deem entertaining. Maybe fans demonstrating with banners saying boring boring Arsenal might get through to him.

Japan Shaking All Over

just read a post saying we are in "transition" ------- again.

If you are talking about my post. . . .then pray tell what would you call the fact that we are playing with three new players in attacking positions minus last years leading scorer and one of last years leading providers. . .

I am not talking about the team as a whole, talking about the attack. . .settling in is another phrase I could of used but then had I done so we would have all missed your witty attempt at humour

Özim
26-08-2012, 03:17 PM
When we sign to players who cost £80 mill then we may play like that but with the players like we have we never will.

Football we play is not boring its the players we have if you get the right players it comes off Ask Barca.
If I'm honest, I'm not that big on Barca's football though I admit they are masters at the passing style and are probably the only team who can get away with it as they are so good at it, you can nullify them though with a physical approach as Chelsea have shown numerous times.

We're never going to be anywhere near that good though, so basically it's boring and sh*t.

Olivier's xmas twist
26-08-2012, 03:20 PM
You say that but his teams use to play much quicker, more direct football.....for some reason he at some point decided to change a winning formula...and this is what it has led to.

Everyone though Cesc was the problem, it seems to me it's Wenger and his blind faith in this type of football which he still seems to deem entertaining. Maybe fans demonstrating with banners saying boring boring Arsenal might get through to him.

Saying Boring boring Arsenal never got Graham to change and i know it worked for him but the chants did not make him change. come in Zimm you have been saying for ages now AW does not care for the fans so why would banners make him change his mind.

One thing that has pissed me off, because He invented it and then let other teams beat him with it, seemed odd to me but i agree we should go back to that but i guess footie has changed and everyone seems to want to play this Barca way as it seems to be the "right way"

Ps joined the Wenger out camp now.

Power n Glory
26-08-2012, 03:22 PM

Not enough players willing to gamble and that's the worry. We're not creating anything and when a team needs time to gel, you need one or two individual players
to take risks. Right now, it looks like we have a load of players trying to adjust to Wenger's philosophy and the Arsenal style and until we get it 100% right, we'll see more games like this. Once again, we're talking about the lack of off the ball movement and creativity. It's an on going problem and even after the team had time to play together, I still feel our system of attack is stale and flat.

Olivier's xmas twist
26-08-2012, 03:34 PM

So what your sayng is Stan Korenke needs to piss off ?

Niall_Quinn
26-08-2012, 03:37 PM
Not enough players willing to gamble and that's the worry. We're not creating anything and when a team needs time to gel, you need one or two individual players
to take risks. Right now, it looks like we have a load of players trying to adjust to Wenger's philosophy and the Arsenal style and until we get it 100% right, we'll see more games like this. Once again, we're talking about the lack of off the ball movement and creativity. It's an on going problem and even after the team had time to play together, I still feel our system of attack is stale and flat.

Over the years we have relentlessly sold all the players that had the required talent to play the game at the higher pace that destroys the opposition's shape and opens up gaps to exploit. Plus you need intelligent players - we have Diaby. Gervinho. Walcott, Bendtner, Chamakh. Along with decent enough players who nevertheless are one step below the requirement, like Gibbs, Vermaelen, Koscielny, Rosicky, name them all. Good players but second string. Wilshere, Ox, Arshavin - these are the only real talents we have left. Two kids learning the trade, one guy who has given up. Haven't seen Carzola play but it sounds like he might be in the same class, therefore too good for us and wasted.

We try to play at a level above the ability of our players. We should be playing like Aston Villa and Everton and Newcastle. This is the level we are at and we'd be more effective and it would be more entertaining if we played less possession, more hustle and bustle, a more direct - it would suit our average players much better. But the pretence prevails. I don't think it fools anyone in reality, but the media and most of the players still do the "Arsenal style football" speech. They're talking about history, not the present. If you keep selling the genuine parts and replacing with fakes then the machine will grind to a halt. You can hear the gears grinding when you watch Arsenal play. The smooth purr and effortless acceleration replaced by clanking and misfires and a horrible smell.

Olivier's xmas twist
26-08-2012, 03:42 PM
Over the years we have relentlessly sold all the players that had the required talent to play the game at the higher pace that destroys the opposition's shape and opens up gaps to exploit. Plus you need intelligent players - we have Diaby. Gervinho. Walcott, Bendtner, Chamakh. Along with decent enough players who nevertheless are one step below the requirement, like Gibbs, Vermaelen, Koscielny, Rosicky, name them all. Good players but second string. Wilshere, Ox, Arshavin - these are the only real talents we have left. Two kids learning the trade, one guy who has given up. Haven't seen Carzola play but it sounds like he might be in the same class, therefore too good for us and wasted.

We try to play at a level above the ability of our players. We should be playing like Aston Villa and Everton and Newcastle. This is the level we are at and we'd be more effective and it would be more entertaining if we played less possession, more hustle and bustle, a more direct - it would suit our average players much better. But the pretence prevails. I don't think it fools anyone in reality, but the media and most of the players still do the "Arsenal style football" speech. They're talking about history, not the present. If you keep selling the genuine parts and replacing with fakes then the machine will grind to a halt. You can hear the gears grinding when you watch Arsenal play. The smooth purr and effortless acceleration replaced by clanking and misfires and a horrible smell.

So what your saying is the Arsenal board need to FOAD ?

fakeyank
26-08-2012, 03:49 PM
So what your sayng is Wenger needs to piss off ?

You are right, my friend..

gooners
26-08-2012, 03:51 PM
If you keep selling the genuine parts and replacing with fakes then the machine will grind to a halt. You can hear the gears grinding when you watch Arsenal play. The smooth purr and effortless acceleration replaced by clanking and misfires and a horrible smell.

well..........wenger said post-match that "We are like an engine running low on oil" ---- whatever it is he means. I hope he means what you mean!

Joker
26-08-2012, 03:53 PM
arseblog ‏@arseblog
No Chamakh or Arshavin today. Along with Park and Bendtner we could move on four forwards this week.

Need to offload these guys. If Wenger doesn't trust them, may as well move them on and get some more reliable players in.

gunnerrrrr
26-08-2012, 03:53 PM

i have to disagree....we create the chances, we just cannot produce in the final third.

You only have to look at the premium of players like Messi, Ronaldo etc as they are guys who can be the difference.

Henry used to do that for us all the time as a recent example, as did RVP last season.

We need to give Giroud a chance, as he was very good today in all aspects except in the final third. However it is hard to be placid when we are screaming out for a goal.

Carzola was immense and looks like a proper player, next to Wilshire and Podolski that will be exiting to see.

Where i agree with you is the quality of some of out players...eg Gervhinio is just pants, yet Wenger persists with him.

The big big problem we have is who can we bring in who can replace 30 league goals...anyone who can do that potentially is going to cost a shit load more than the £25m or whatever it was we got for RVP.

We are two world class signings away from competing, DM and striker, i hope Wenger knows that, but tbf i dont know who is left on the market of that calibre and for a reasonable price.

fakeyank
26-08-2012, 03:54 PM
well..........wenger said post-match that "We are like an engine running low on oil" ---- whatever it is he means. I hope he means what you mean!

Dont bother listening to AW.. some of the stuff he spouts is worse than the shit coming out of Ahmedinijad!

Niall_Quinn
26-08-2012, 03:56 PM
So what your saying is the Arsenal board need to FOAD ?

Just dying would be fine by me, I'm not greedy like them.

Olivier's xmas twist
26-08-2012, 03:58 PM
Dont bother listening to AW.. some of the stuff he spouts is worse than the shit coming out of Ahmedinijad!

You are right, my friend..

Thanks.

Olivier's xmas twist
26-08-2012, 04:01 PM
Just dying would be fine by me, I'm not greedy like them.

Which is what you have been saying for ages, but then you get accuse of being a racist who hates Arab's.

Power n Glory
26-08-2012, 04:02 PM

Last season, the team lacked cohesion and you could tell straight away. The three players that had any sort of understanding between each other were RVP, Walcott and Song. They could anticipate each others runs, know how they wanted the pass to be delivered...now two of them are gone and we're back to building from scratch. Only on rare occasions did we play that cutting style where everyone seemed to be on the right wavelength and we were creating chances for fun last season. We never really got into that groove. Hard to see if it we'll be able to find that fluidity this season so early on. Maybe once Rosicky is fit, we'll look a better side because he made a huge difference last season. Or Wilshere if Wilshere ever gets fit.

Cripps_orig
26-08-2012, 04:02 PM
Which is what you have been saying for ages, but then you get accuse of being a racist who hates Arab's.

:blink:

We dont have any Arabs on the board

Ollie the Optimist
26-08-2012, 04:04 PM
can we focus on a posistive for once. how much of a good job has steve bould already seemed to ahve done? nullified stoke, i didnt feel scared at all when they came at us with long balls etc, defence looked solid, disiciplined and strong.

Olivier's xmas twist
26-08-2012, 04:07 PM
:blink:

We dont have any Arabs on the board

But City do.

GP
26-08-2012, 04:09 PM
can we focus on a posistive for once. how much of a good job has steve bould already seemed to ahve done? nullified stoke, i didnt feel scared at all when they came at us with long balls etc, defence looked solid, disiciplined and strong.

:good:

Far more positives than negatives at the moment.

Niall_Quinn
26-08-2012, 04:10 PM
i have to disagree....we create the chances, we just cannot produce in the final third.

You only have to look at the premium of players like Messi, Ronaldo etc as they are guys who can be the difference.

Henry used to do that for us all the time as a recent example, as did RVP last season.

We need to give Giroud a chance, as he was very good today in all aspects except in the final third. However it is hard to be placid when we are screaming out for a goal.

Carzola was immense and looks like a proper player, next to Wilshire and Podolski that will be exiting to see.

Where i agree with you is the quality of some of out players...eg Gervhinio is just pants, yet Wenger persists with him.

The big big problem we have is who can we bring in who can replace 30 league goals...anyone who can do that potentially is going to cost a shit load more than the £25m or whatever it was we got for RVP.

We are two world class signings away from competing, DM and striker, i hope Wenger knows that, but tbf i dont know who is left on the market of that calibre and for a reasonable price.

The end product is what marks out the exceptional from the mediocre. That's why certain players used to get the big wages, because they made the big difference in the big games. Now every fucker who can kick a ball is hyped and on big bucks. It makes it confusing, you see the hype, the wages and you think, "Surely this guy can shoot straight, sure he can keep his head in front of goal, surely he can take a corner...", but no, he can't, he can't do any of those things. Not at a sufficient quality and in enough quantity to maintain a title challenge. Not being able to produce in the final third is scandalous. What's the point if you can't produce in the final third? We had the players who could, we sold them and replaced them with players who can't. Not just this year but every year, always a little less talent, drip, drip, drip.

That's why I say we should get real and maximise what we do have and forget about what we pretend to have. We will never spend the money to build a top quality team, so the leeches upstairs need to come clean and re-state the club's ambitions. Stop treating the fans as mugs. You can see it yourself on the pitch, you know what this club is all about now. I suppose it is the pretence that's most annoying. You see shit served up as caviare and everyone says, "Look at the caviare" And you think you are going mad because you can see the shit, smell it and they are telling you to eat it.

Ollie the Optimist
26-08-2012, 04:10 PM
:good:

Far more positives than negatives at the moment.

dexactly, last year, we had rvp, adn still drew at stoke away while looking dodgy at the back, this year, we draw but completely nulifiy their threat.

gooners
26-08-2012, 04:11 PM
we didn't concede against stoke? Huuuuuu--fuking---ray!

bould :bow:

Cripps_orig
26-08-2012, 04:11 PM
But City do.

What has that got to do with anything?

GP
26-08-2012, 04:12 PM
dexactly, last year, we had rvp, adn still drew at stoke away while looking dodgy at the back, this year, we draw but completely nulifiy their threat.

I was impressed with the way we dealt with Crouch especially. He's always given us problems but he was completely ineffective today.

Olivier's xmas twist
26-08-2012, 04:13 PM
What has that got to do with anything?

ASK NQ

Olivier's xmas twist
26-08-2012, 04:14 PM
I was impressed with the way we dealt with Crouch especially. He's always given us problems but he was completely ineffective today.

This. impressive, what about Gibbs looked good today and jenkinson.

Also Merts looked good but do you drop him for Kos when he is fit?

Ollie the Optimist
26-08-2012, 04:15 PM

even jenkinson looked good, there was communication, desire and strength. didnt worry at all, given how much of a panic most of us seemed to have when mannone was announced in goal, him not having anything to do shows how much our defence has improved.

Cripps_orig
no to Charlies post

Our defence has been fine

No need to change it

Ollie the Optimist
This. impressive, what about Gibbs looked good today and jenkinson.

Also Merts looked good but do you drop him for Kos when he is fit?

yes, kos is our best defender

Marc Overmars
26-08-2012, 04:18 PM
GHELkinson offered nothing going forward but he was pretty solid generally, I think he needed to give Gervais an option though because that mongo is always going to run himself out of play.

I liked how Poldi and Gibbs linked up in the first half, very Pires/Cole like, more of that please.

Just need to sharpen up up front, but making ourselves hard to beat comes first, the rest should follow hopefully.

Cripps_orig
26-08-2012, 04:20 PM
on the performance…
We showed we are very strong spirit-wise and we were dominant in the challenges. We were prepared, highly-focused, defensively very strong overall. Offensively we still have some work to do because we miss a bit of accuracy in final third, in our movement and in our passing. We are used to finding each other blind in the final third and there is still something missing. But I still think we should have won the game 1-0.

You have to give credit to Stoke as well, they defend very well and they have experience at the back. They are very strong defensively and as long as we didn't score an opener they were happy with a point, you could see that. Is it a point gained or two dropped? I would say it is two dropped on the game but it is maybe a good point because it is difficult for everybody to take points at Stoke.

on what is missing up front…
It is an understanding because you have Cazorla, Podolski, Giroud… one month ago they didn't know each other. So that will come. There is some work to do on the training ground but you can feel the potential. You can see as well that there is something missing - we are not spontaneous enough in some situations. I am very positive about my team. People will say 'OK, you didn't score for two games' and I cannot deny that. We played against two teams who defend very well as a unit - Sunderland and Stoke. Overall I believe we can be a good surprise in this championship.

on references to Robin van Persie…
Of course [that will happen]. Look, if you want to convince me that we lost an exceptional player, you are wasting your time. I was the first to say that. We have to find a way to get around that by sharing the goals more than we did before with Van Persie. I think we can do that. Giroud scored 20, Podolski scored 20, and I am convinced we will get some goals from Diaby and Ramsey, Walcott, Gervinho. We have to share that around a little bit.

on criticism of the strikers…
I do not listen too much to what people say [on TV]. I listen and I try to see if it is exaggerated or not. I have worked for 30 years on the football pitch every day, and I know what it is to improve a football player and what it is to go out morning and afternoon and try to make a player. Not everybody can say that.

on building the understanding…
It can be very quick. The more you speak about the problem, the bigger it becomes in our game. Giroud does not have to think that he has to replace Van Persie with the number of goals he needs to score. We want to play as a team and if we play as a team we will score goals. I would just like to say I had the same questions when Thierry Henry left as I have had with Robin van Persie, exactly the same. And even last year I had to answer questions about why I played Van Persie as a centre forward. You have to take that into perspective and what for me is positive is that you feel there is potential there.

on fears of making a slow start…
We played a 0-0 against Sunderland and we came here today and we have taken a point. Some big teams will drop points here - it will be easy for no team to come here and just take a win.

on pushing for a late winner…
I feel we played against two teams who are highly focused to defend. When you see other games you see they are open games. We played against two teams who were really focused on defending, defending, defending - and they did very well. I have seen other teams who go forward, they play and they open their game. After it is easy to score, but today it was a fight for 90 minutes. What is the most important thing is that you learn about your team and see they are capable of standing up. You could see we behaved like men who are ready for a fight. That is the most important thing at the moment.

on a relatively comfortable game against Stoke…
Yes, certainly defensively we had no major problem. They had one good chance in the second half when we lost the ball in midfield but apart from that we dealt very well with them in the air. They have six basketball players, size-wise! It is difficult on set pieces because we had plenty of corners but when you look at their back four and then the guy they brought in, Cameron, the midfielder, he is two metres tall! It's difficult to take advantage of set pieces against them.

on reports linking Tiote with Arsenal…
Tiote is a good player but he is not on his way to Arsenal.

No Tiote ffs

Master Splinter
26-08-2012, 04:21 PM
GHELkers is basically our O'Shea.

Well, hopefully.

You need some talentless pub filth in your squad to do 'a job' in this League. He's been solid in most games he's played for Arsenal.

Olivier's xmas twist
26-08-2012, 04:23 PM
No Tiote ffs

He said no Carzola has well and look what happend.

Boss
26-08-2012, 04:36 PM
Tiote is massively overrated so it's a good thing if we're not in for him.

gunnerrrrr
26-08-2012, 04:38 PM

100% agree....we have enough average dross

Cripps_orig
26-08-2012, 04:40 PM
He was anything but average, overated or dross last season

Olivier's xmas twist
26-08-2012, 04:56 PM

This and we don't need another player who will be off to the ACON in jan who will leave us with less quality again for a month when we need him.

Dennis Bendtner
26-08-2012, 04:59 PM
Liking Arsene's glasses. Looking sharp this season.

Marc Overmars
26-08-2012, 05:01 PM
I just can't warm to Diaby, he shows some nice touches here and there but he's incredibly slow and doesn't have any playmaking ability. Poor mans Yaya.

Hope we get a new midfielder this week.

She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
26-08-2012, 05:01 PM

agreed. wenger actually applied some tactics to the opposition for once by sticking diaby on him all game. maybe bould had some influence there.

Olivier's xmas twist
26-08-2012, 05:03 PM
I just can't warm to Diaby, he shows some nice touches here and there but he's incredibly slow and doesn't have any playmaking ability. Poor mans Yaya.

Hope we get a new midfielder this week.

Diaby would do well at Juve but he is not for the epl. he has not been the same since he broke his leg and should have been sold last season.

Cripps_orig
26-08-2012, 05:09 PM
Arsenal midfielder Emmanuel Frimpong tweets: (https://twitter.com/Frimpong26AFC/status/239768067608018944) "What a superb day of football. I love Sundays!"I take it he didnt watch our match

hobson's choice
26-08-2012, 05:12 PM

Well, hopefully.

You need some talentless pub filth in your squad to do 'a job' in this League. He's been solid in most games he's played for Arsenal.

If this team was full of superb talent all over the pitch, I wouldn't mind a clogger like him, but we are not. So the sooner Sagna comes back the fucking better. I don't want him anywhere near a first team spot for this current team.

GP
26-08-2012, 05:15 PM

Well, hopefully.

Agreed. I'm certainly more comfortable with him in the side than Djourou.

Bergkampwonderland10
26-08-2012, 05:16 PM

Probably one of the best midfielders in the premiership. Newcastle look half a team without him. Couldn't get near the ball against chelsea - why? Because no Tiote to break up play and close the space in the middle...Hazard had a field day there. Probably one of the most hard-working and effective midfielders I've seen since Makelele and Vieira at their peak.

Cripps_orig
26-08-2012, 05:18 PM
Probably one of the best midfielders in the premiership. Newcastle look half a team without him. Couldn't get near the ball against chelsea - why? Because no Tiote to break up play and close the space in the middle...Hazard had a field day there. Probably one of the most hard-working and effective midfielders I've seen since Makelele and Vieira at their peak.This

Olivier's xmas twist
26-08-2012, 05:21 PM
Probably one of the best midfielders in the premiership. Newcastle look half a team without him. Couldn't get near the ball against chelsea - why? Because no Tiote to break up play and close the space in the middle...Hazard had a field day there. Probably one of the most hard-working and effective midfielders I've seen since Makelele and Vieira at their peak.

Problem is he goes to the Acon in Jan so we will be light in jan unless we get him and another.

Letters
26-08-2012, 05:28 PM
:lol:

:gp:

I noticed that.

WUMger :bow:

GP
26-08-2012, 05:28 PM
They aren't some Specsavers shit, that's for sure.

Dolland and Aitchison at least.

Olivier's xmas twist
26-08-2012, 05:33 PM
They aren't some Specsavers shit, that's for sure.

Dolland and Aitchison at least.

Boots :bow:

Dennis Bendtner
26-08-2012, 05:37 PM
"It is never disastrous to take a point at Stoke but we lack a little bit of oil in our engine in the final third," he said. "What looks completely natural when we are at our best still is not there, and we have to work on that.

http://img.ibtimes.com/www/thumb/mainpage/292660-500356-arsene-wenger.jpg

McNamara That Ghost...
26-08-2012, 05:39 PM
Blood, sweat and oil.

Wenget. :bow:

Globalgunner
26-08-2012, 05:42 PM
yes, kos is our best defender

I agree, but as good managers kno it should be horses for courses. Merts as good today because his height was needed to give Crouch something to think about. If when we play fast attackers we should change it around. to my mind, when all 3 are fit, Kos should be the mainstay with verm and Merts rotated around him. a good manager would know this but we know wenger doesnt do tactics. Hope Bould makes the decisions wrt defence nowadays.

Gooner23
26-08-2012, 05:51 PM
Pre-season confidence ebbing away somewhat. Giroud tried today but struggled for most of it, Pods just didn't get involved enough. Need another striker, especially if Chmack is off.

Defence was good though, and Arteta was excellent sitting deep.

Niall_Quinn
26-08-2012, 05:54 PM
http://img.ibtimes.com/www/thumb/mainpage/292660-500356-arsene-wenger.jpg

We lack a little bit commitment from the board for anything bar their self interests - but he can't really say that, can he? Oil in the engine is a good analogy though, given what's happening at City.

Olivier's xmas twist
26-08-2012, 06:28 PM
We lack a little bit commitment from the board for anything bar their self interests - but he can't really say that, can he? Oil in the engine is a good analogy though, given what's happening at City.

Well no, they put notes in his bank account.

Özim
26-08-2012, 06:30 PM
Funny that, I thought he looked ridiculous. My advice would be to lose the glasses and wear contacts :lol:

Olivier's xmas twist
26-08-2012, 06:32 PM
Funny that, I thought he looked ridiculous. My advice would be to lose the glasses and wear contacts :lol:

Maybe he really could not see it :haha:

jelgoon
26-08-2012, 06:32 PM
Really? Who's buying them? I thought no-one was interested

He's fucking off next week, as are bendy, park bench and squidface, probably lansbury and eastmond too (over 21s)

jelgoon
26-08-2012, 06:34 PM
He's really aged suddenly. Dont know if its the stress caused by our lack of success or problems in his private life over his relationship with that waitress.
Look

jelgoon
26-08-2012, 06:36 PM
We really need to get something at Anfied or we're gonna be well off the pace already. I think we can - theyre not that good despite nearly beating the mancs today

Pre-season confidence ebbing away somewhat. Giroud tried today but struggled for most of it, Pods just didn't get involved enough. Need another striker, especially if Chmack is off.

Defence was good though, and Arteta was excellent sitting deep.

Olivier's xmas twist
Really? Who's buying them? I thought no-one was interested

Bender off to AC id assume, Asrshavin off to Russia, Park who knows Milltary service would be my guess. Squid back to france.

Niall_Quinn
Well no, they put notes in his bank account.

A fraction of what he puts in theirs, they may be the scum of the earth but they aren't stupid.

Ollie the Optimist
26-08-2012, 06:37 PM
would you rather the last two games had been score draws or nil nils?

imo nil nils are better for us because the defence has been solid, even if we scored and drew 1-1 the press would hammer our defence and our attackers so at least its just one area this time. the defence has come on so much since last season, we played stoke in april and it was a nervous afair, almost 5 games later and suddenly we completely nulified their threat, they try and bully us yet today we werent bullied

Cripps_orig
26-08-2012, 06:38 PM
We really need to get something at Anfied or we're gonna be well off the pace already. I think we can - theyre not that good despite nearly beating the mancs today

Neither are we tbf

Niall_Quinn
26-08-2012, 06:39 PM

imo nil nils are better for us because the defence has been solid, even if we scored and drew 1-1 the press would hammer our defence and our attackers so at least its just one area this time. the defence has come on so much since last season, we played stoke in april and it was a nervous afair, almost 5 games later and suddenly we completely nulified their threat, they try and bully us yet today we werent bullied

Would rather the games were watchable. Really, that's all I ask.

jelgoon
26-08-2012, 06:40 PM
You're a bit flippant about that. They're all under contract arent they and someone's gotta be wiling to take over their salaries. Bearing in mind none of them are very good its not that straightforward

Bender off to AC id assume, Asrshavin off to Russia, Park who knows Milltary service would be my guess. Squid back to france.[/QUOTE]

Olivier's xmas twist
26-08-2012, 06:40 PM

Would rather we got 2 1-0's tbh.

jelgoon
26-08-2012, 06:42 PM
You're right, were not. I just have a feeling he'll play Walcott and/or OXo and we'll win. IF we can stay solid at the back and not give away stupid goals i think we can get one up there.

Neither are we tbf

Olivier's xmas twist
26-08-2012, 06:42 PM
You're a bit flippant about that. They're all under contract arent they and someone's gotta be wiling to take over their salaries. Bearing in mind none of them are very good its not that straightforward

Bender off to AC id assume, Asrshavin off to Russia, Park who knows Milltary service would be my guess. Squid back to france.[/QUOTE]

The reason we don't sell then is because were too tight and can't be arsed to accept low fees for them.

Özim
26-08-2012, 06:43 PM

On the other side of the coin, we've sold RVP (our main goal threat) and have no cutting edge.

With the two strikers failing to score again the pressure will grow on them and it will become more and more of a burden. It's always good for new strikers to score a goal early confidence wise as it's a real weight off their shoulders. So far they've not looked sharp at all and have appeared on the wing in midfield too much.

Right now there will be real doubts as to whether the loss of RVP is as big a problem as everyone thinks, this was the big talking point for us over the summer.

Ollie the Optimist
26-08-2012, 06:45 PM
On the other side of the coin, we've sold RVP (our main goal threat) and have no cutting edge.

With the two strikers failing to score again the pressure will grow on them and it will become more and more of a burden. It's always good for new strikers to score a goal early confidence wise as it's a real weight off their shoulders. So far they've not looked sharp at all and have appeared on the wing in midfield too much.

Right now there will be real doubts as to whether the loss of RVP is as big a problem as everyone thinks.

tbh being thrown in against stoke away second game is a huge ask. these strikers will score, they are too good not too esp as with each game their links with cazorla will get stronger and stronger. they look good to me, the finishing will come.

also with rvp, we drew at stoke with him last year, didnt score in our first two games with him either, and all we know how the third turned out

Niall_Quinn
26-08-2012, 06:46 PM
The reason we don't sell then is because were too tight and can't be arsed to accept low fees for them.[/QUOTE]

Amazed we are hopeful enough to get a fee, there are freebie players at best in terms of the transfer because the useless fuckers will all demand big wages regardless. Doubt this is just about the money or else it would have been cheaper to pay somebody to take them. This is probably about insanely greedy players and their shit on your shoe agents.

Olivier's xmas twist
26-08-2012, 06:47 PM

Right now there will be real doubts as to whether the loss of RVP is as big a problem as everyone thinks, this was the big talking point for us over the summer.

Well Giroud has already Said don't expect him to be RVP or fill his shoes. Im sure these guys will scoore it may take time but they will not worried about that.

Ollie has a point though we must say the positvies and that is our defence looked good and it may have been not against top 4 teams but we were solid were as last season we'd have maid silly mistakes that cost us which was the the reason we did so badly cause we conceeded to many last season.

If the players can bulid confidence from their defending them im happy even merts looked class.

Özim
26-08-2012, 06:49 PM
tbh being thrown in against stoke away second game is a huge ask. these strikers will score, they are too good not too esp as with each game their links with cazorla will get stronger and stronger. they look good to me, the finishing will come.

also with rvp, we drew at stoke with him last year, didnt score in our first two games with him either, and all we know how the third turned out
Stoke came 14th in the league last season, I think people are overstating how good they are to be honest.....we should be able to beat them especially at this stage of the season when we're fresh. We dominated possession so with that in mind the defence wouldn't have had a huge amount of work to do. Delap wasn't playing either and a lot of their goals come from his throws.

We'll have to wait and see how they do, but seeing as we were so reliant on RVP and he scored so many goals they have quite a lot to live up to.

Olivier's xmas twist
26-08-2012, 06:50 PM
Amazed we are hopeful enough to get a fee, there are freebie players at best in terms of the transfer because the useless fuckers will all demand big wages regardless. Doubt this is just about the money or else it would have been cheaper to pay somebody to take them. This is probably about insanely greedy players and their shit on your shoe agents.

Stans gotta make money somehow.

Ollie the Optimist
26-08-2012, 06:50 PM
i think at the moment we have to focus on the posistives and not the negatives. the defence hasnt changed this summer and has made massive improvements since last season thanks to bould, however with the attack, its pretty much a new one so needs time to settle, each game will be better but two games into season let them off, focus on the good not hte bad, if still like this in two/three games time then yes lets moan but not now

Özim
26-08-2012, 06:52 PM
Well Giroud has already Said don't expect him to be RVP or fill his shoes. Im sure these guys will scoore it may take time but they will not worried about that.

Ollie has a point though we must say the positvies and that is our defence looked good and it may have been not against top 4 teams but we were solid were as last season we'd have maid silly mistakes that cost us which was the the reason we did so badly cause we conceeded to many last season.

If the players can bulid confidence from their defending them im happy even merts looked class.
It's early days but so far they've not had their shooting boots on. Giroud has a lot to prove, he's not really a proven player and he won't get an easier chance than he did in the 1st game.

Podolski is good but he was visibly frustrated today, I saw him shouting at his teammates a number of times.

We had so much possession the defence didn't have to do a huge amount, in addition with no Delap 80% of their goal threat was not there.

Based on what I've seen of this team so far, I'm both disappointed and worried. Disappointed that we still look so ordinary and worried we're going to find it even tougher than last season.

Ollie the Optimist
26-08-2012, 06:54 PM
It's early days but so far they've not had their shooting boots on. Giroud has a lot to prove, he's not really a proven player and he won't get an easier chance than he did in the 1st game.

Podolski is good but he was visibly frustrated today, I saw him shouting at his teammates a number of times.

We had so much possession the defence didn't have to do a huge amount, in addition with no Delap 80% of their goal threat was not there.

actually their goal threat was there, last year they didnt score a single goal from delap throw ins, they scored via crouch etc and we kept htem quiet

Olivier's xmas twist
26-08-2012, 06:54 PM
i think at the moment we have to focus on the posistives and not the negatives. the defence hasnt changed this summer and has made massive improvements since last season thanks to bould, however with the attack, its pretty much a new one so needs time to settle, each game will be better but two games into season let them off, focus on the good not hte bad, if still like this in two/three games time then yes lets moan but not now

Too see Gibbs Defending like he did today was amazing, Id still say we need a deputy LB for him ans i don't rate Santos back there. Jenkison was amazing.

Our Captain led from the back and Arteta how amazing was he breaking up play etc, though he was good at DM tbh.

Olivier's xmas twist
26-08-2012, 06:55 PM

Based on what I've seen of this team so far, I'm both disappointed and worried. Disappointed that we still look so ordinary and worried we're going to find it even tougher than last season.

And your right to be.

Özim
26-08-2012, 06:55 PM
actually their goal threat was there, last year they didnt score a single goal from delap throw ins, they scored via crouch etc and we kept htem quiet
They had 7 shots and only 4 on target. Hardly peppering our goal.

We had 16 and only 6 on target, also pretty poor (in terms of hitting the target).

jelgoon
26-08-2012, 06:56 PM
I hope you're right. But we have only played two games, so its very premature to start talking about massive improvements in our defence. The problem with our defence traditionally (which is down to Wenger) is that they lose confidence after making a mistake. Lets see how good they are when the top teams are bearing down on them

Ollie the Optimist
26-08-2012, 06:58 PM
They had 7 shots and only 4 on target. Hardly peppering our goal.

We had 16 and only 6 on target, also pretty poor (in terms of hitting the target).

im not saying its not poor, it is, however our attack are gelling and soon that stat will be 3 goals at the end.

also with stokes shot etc, does that not show an improvement in defence? they couldnt pepper our goal because we wouldnt let them?

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
26-08-2012, 06:59 PM
i didn't see where a goal was coming from today, even before the match to be honest. I think the premiership is a bit too quick for Giroud and Podolski at the moment, and we are overrelying on Santi Cazorla to even provide them with anything (who without a doubt has been our best player over the first two games). There are definite positives, i think Mertesacker has shown that whilst he has a problem with pace that he is very adept from defending set pieces.....i think we dealt well with the physicality of Stoke....i think any other time when we were misfiring so badly a team like Stoke would have punished us more for it, but we gave them hardly any possession and they had to near assault our players to win the ball back.
I think we need one of two players, we need to either buy an outright striker, or buy a winger regardless of whether Theo stays or not and move Theo up front....because playing Gervinho is just such a frustrating player, he has Walcottitis....something fascinating on his shoes stops him from looking up when on the ball....i don't see how much more patience we can have with him

Niall_Quinn
26-08-2012, 07:02 PM

Well said. So on a positive note, the last bunch of ****s put nothing in and banked £500mill. Amazing. Not quite so positive for Stan because he wasn't first on the scene, but if he can continue fucking the fans over for another 4 years I believe he'll clear a positive £200mill when he sells. It's all good.

She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
26-08-2012, 07:10 PM
finished the game with 5 british players on the pitch.

new future :bow:

Cripps_orig
26-08-2012, 07:22 PM

Gibbs, Ramsey, Ox, Theo and.....

Master Splinter
26-08-2012, 07:25 PM
Gibbs, Ramsey, Ox, Theo and.....

........Gervais Lombe Yao Kouassi.

She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
26-08-2012, 07:25 PM
jenkinson.

dont care if he chose finnish nationality. british name, tattoo's and cockney accent :bow:

doing britain proud :bow: :bow:

GP
26-08-2012, 07:28 PM
GHELkers :bow:

Gooner23
26-08-2012, 07:29 PM
Too see Gibbs Defending like he did today was amazing, Id still say we need a deputy LB for him ans i don't rate Santos back there. Jenkison was amazing.

Our Captain led from the back and Arteta how amazing was he breaking up play etc, though he was good at DM tbh.

That was one of the best games ive seen Gibbs play for us. Didnt give Pennant a sniff, won more than his fair share of headers and comfortable on the ball going forwards.

Must be some sort of record, with Gibbs and Diaby both playing two 90 mins in a row. Awaiting this weeks injury update though, no doubt one of them will have a little groin or something..

Cripps_orig
26-08-2012, 07:29 PM
........Gervais Lombe Yao Kouassi.

Gervinho :bow:

Gooner23
26-08-2012, 07:31 PM
Gervinho :bow:

Awseome at pre-seasons tbf

Master Splinter
26-08-2012, 07:37 PM
That was one of the best games ive seen Gibbs play for us. Didnt give Pennant a sniff, won more than his fair share of headers and comfortable on the ball going forwards.

Must be some sort of record, with Gibbs and Diaby both playing two 90 mins in a row. Awaiting this weeks injury update though, no doubt one of them will have a little groin or something..

Gibbs has been playing like that for a while (when he hasn't been dead). When he gets a decent run of games, he always looks good. Much like the preconceived nonsense that's lazily applied to Mertesacker and Jenkinson, people (journalists/bloggers/forumites) will just blindly refuse to notice when they play well or just focus on one poor piece of play in a match. So Mertesacker is always an error-prone, clumsy German, Jenkinson is completely useless and Gibbs has never once defended well.

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
26-08-2012, 07:43 PM
Gibbs is a really good left back, it annoys me that Woy hasn't called him up to the England set up....seems to prefer ryan bertrand

GP
26-08-2012, 07:45 PM
He's the best LB England have.

Marc Overmars
26-08-2012, 07:45 PM
To be fair Gibbs has never been fit enough to sustain a solid and consistent run in the side. Hopefully he can do that now but we'll see.

Cripps_orig
26-08-2012, 07:46 PM
Gibbs is a really good left back, it annoys me that Woy hasn't called him up to the England set up....seems to prefer ryan bertrand

Should be 3rd choice LB for sure

Cole and Baines are better atm though

Olivier's xmas twist
26-08-2012, 07:47 PM

Not that the media will care though.

Cripps_orig
26-08-2012, 07:49 PM

Mainly cos its only 4 tbh

Marc Overmars
26-08-2012, 07:51 PM

We don't get hammered anymore for a lack of GHELs tbf.

Alpha
26-08-2012, 08:07 PM
There were more positives than negatives and that should be very encouraging for a team with new players in key positions : Jerkinson looked good and will be a ready-made replacement for Sagna by the end of the season . Gibbs and Metersacker have also improved their game which made the defense sound with Verminator being the beast as usual .
Attacking-wise there was some good combinations but we were let down in the final third . Podolski was good on the left and will certainly score some goals . Giroud was good and worked hard . He remind us of Ade when he joined the team . With his strong physic he tried to be everywhere helping the defense and midfield . Players to blame are :
1) Gervinho , a really headless chicken .Gifted with fantastic dribbling ability he still doesn't know how to use it and how to link up with is teammates to make think happen . He doesn't understand the body language of other players : definitely a non-starter .
2) Diaby , although he ha s improved and showed some maturity in his game , he still revert to " old Diaby " at time and give the ball away . He lacks some defensive instinct to close players down . He rather look like a bodyguard protecting the opposite players : A defensive midfielder needed to teach him what to do .
A part from that decent result against a team full of wresllers .

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
26-08-2012, 08:16 PM
Should be 3rd choice LB for sure

Cole and Baines are better atm though

Not sure i'd agree with Baines being better than Gibbs, i think they are both of similar ability defensively , i think Baines probably offers more from set pieces though

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
26-08-2012, 08:21 PM
I know it's been said to death, but fuck me Stoke are appalling.....they really take the fun out of football....growing the grass long to inhibit teams with good passing......players launching themselves at us to scare the shit out of us.....surely Swansea have shown that teams of their size can survive without modelling themselves on Uruguay in the 1980s

GP
26-08-2012, 08:42 PM
They are a horrible club.

I honestly couldn't believe what Pulis said about Ramsey today.

Olivier's xmas twist
26-08-2012, 08:56 PM
They are a horrible club.

I honestly couldn't believe what Pulis said about Ramsey today.

? what did he say.

GP
26-08-2012, 08:57 PM
? what did he say.

He was asked about the crowd's reaction to Ramsey and he basically said there's nothing he can do about it so he doesn't care.

AKBapologist
26-08-2012, 09:09 PM

I noticed that.

WUMger :bow:

SayNoMore
26-08-2012, 09:12 PM
Good performance from the players, must not lose to the filth. Shocking club, with an awful manager, and awful set of fans, booing Ramsey was pathetic and hope we smash them at the emirates. We need a win at Anfield to kickstart our season. Giroud was rather shocking today, im sure once he finds the net we will see a massive improvement, and the confidence will start flowing. The Ox needs to start, diaby has an opportunity to show everyone if he has what it takes, unfortunately i dont see it, Wenger clearly does so who knows.

To sum up, the defence was a joy to watch. Cazorla is pure class. Bould clearly seems to be having a positive effect and coupled with a 2-3 signings i think we will be in a very strong position.

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
26-08-2012, 09:15 PM
He was asked about the crowd's reaction to Ramsey and he basically said there's nothing he can do about it so he doesn't care.

I just feel deep down someone should be booing Ramsey, for conning Arsenal football club into believing he is a professional footballer when he produces nothing on the field of play that would justify that assertion. That said would have loved it if he scored today if Giroud had played him in, rub their fans noses in shit.

Olivier's xmas twist
26-08-2012, 09:58 PM

Scrote of a club really hope they go down.

SayNoMore
26-08-2012, 10:21 PM
I just feel deep down someone should be booing Ramsey, for conning Arsenal football club into believing he is a professional footballer when he produces nothing on the field of play that would justify that assertion.

Japan Shaking All Over
27-08-2012, 12:44 AM
GHELkinson offered nothing going forward but he was pretty solid generally, I think he needed to give Gervais an option though because that mongo is always going to run himself out of play.

I liked how Poldi and Gibbs linked up in the first half, very Pires/Cole like, more of that please.

Just need to sharpen up up front, but making ourselves hard to beat comes first, the rest should follow hopefully.

Good post. ..GHELkinson is solid enough, needs to be told what to do and cant really think for himself very well. . .doesnt seem to be crossing the ball in as much as this time last year.

Kos needs to come in for Merts, the big German hasnt done badly but for such a big fella he is a bit lightweight.

Things up front just need a little patience. . .I thought we should have played Giourd against MONgerland, he should be starting from now on in my opinion, with Pods out left. Gervs? I fear for this guy, and I am one of his few fans but he is showing himself to be far too limited, squares off with a defender and more often than not run it over the by line. If we dont bring in another than Ox is the man to play out wide with Theo and Gerv fighting for the bench.

Cripps_orig
27-08-2012, 12:46 AM
Merts has been excellent

Keep the defence as it is.

Xhaka Can’t
27-08-2012, 08:36 AM

A typical show of class from Pubelice.

Sent from my HTC One S using Tapatalk 2

Joker
27-08-2012, 09:10 AM
Reckon Scrote could struggle this season. The Premier League have put in place regulations concerning pitch size, so they no longer can make the pitch extremely narrow by bringing in the touchlines. You could see it's effect somewhat in the way they found it much harder to close us down.

GP
27-08-2012, 09:12 AM
Hope so. Hope they get relegated, go bust and the whole town is swallowed up by a massive sinkhole.

jelgoon
27-08-2012, 09:38 AM
I agree with you. We are not a million miles away from being a successful team that is also exciting to watch. The last thing we need now is to abandon what remains of our stylish football and revert to a George Graham type outfit ( notwithstanding that he was a great manager in terms of success). This all comes down to the board as we know and their transfer policy. If Kroenke was prepared to say AS A RULEthat we will not sell any of our star players to English clubs ( whatever the price) then that would be a start.Obviously it wont happen cos the board dont give a shit about the fans - in fact they only tolerate us at all because we pay their huge dividend cheques.

Letters
27-08-2012, 09:42 AM
There were more positives than negatives and that should be very encouraging for a team with new players in key positions : Jerkinson looked good and will be a ready-made replacement for Sagna by the end of the season . Gibbs and Metersacker have also improved their game which made the defense sound with Verminator being the beast as usual .
Attacking-wise there was some good combinations but we were let down in the final third . Podolski was good on the left and will certainly score some goals . Giroud was good and worked hard . He remind us of Ade when he joined the team . With his strong physic he tried to be everywhere helping the defense and midfield . Players to blame are :
1) Gervinho , a really headless chicken .Gifted with fantastic dribbling ability he still doesn't know how to use it and how to link up with is teammates to make think happen . He doesn't understand the body language of other players : definitely a non-starter .
2) Diaby , although he ha s improved and showed some maturity in his game , he still revert to " old Diaby " at time and give the ball away . He lacks some defensive instinct to close players down . He rather look like a bodyguard protecting the opposite players : A defensive midfielder needed to teach him what to do .
A part from that decent result against a team full of wresllers .

Far too early to be pushing the panic button yet. The defence is looking better, the lack of goals is a worry but we didn't score in the first 2 games last season and ended up scoring more than anyone bar the top 2. That was in no small part down to RvP of course but we've bought 2 decent strikers who will get goals but need to find their feet in the PL. I just hope they do it sooner rather than later.

IBK
27-08-2012, 10:01 AM
This. Seems to me that there is a great deal of analysing going on to suit people's beef with the club about selling RVP and Song, and relatively little common sense. Attacking wise our team has been disrupted more this season than last and IMO its naive to expect the new boys - new to the league as well as the team and each other - to be gelling and understanding each other properly yet. It takes a great deal of skill and understanding to break down a settled, defensively minded team like Stoke, at home, with no desire whatsoever to do more than prevent us from scoring. We would have struggled to score with RVP and Song. As far as I recall both players were part of our shambles of a team at the outset of last season (rvp may have been injured but if he was that tells its own story anyway). They developed an understanding as the season progressed, but there is no reason whatsoever to think that the players we have won't do so this season.

Are we in transition again? Yes. Is that frustrating? Yes. But it is what it is and writing off our players after 2 games is childish. Torres is looking the part finally, but how long has he had to adapt to the Chavs' game? It is simply not fair to be concluding that Podolski and Giroud are not good enough based on what we have seen so far.

I would agree that we could use another flair player to make the difference in attack - mostly because AW has always (at least recently) tended to rely on individual skill to bring him goals. But that's not the same as concluding that what we have seen so far is garbage. It's been frustrating not to make more use of our ball domination in both games, but I am seeing a pretty good platform for improvement. If people were expecting this team to match Citeh and the Chavs out of the blocks that was an unrealistic expectation, and I'm not surprised they have been disappointed.

AKBapologist
27-08-2012, 10:14 AM
Conversely, too much is made of this "they need more time to gel" bollocks. Chamakh arrived and scored on his debut, however poorly he's been since, he did a job for us during the first few months of his arrival. RVP, Kawaga, Hazard, Mitchu - new signings from other teams, all have scored so it's a little trite to give ourselves a free pass on this considering how competitive (I believe) this season, and the top 4 place, will be.

RVP should never have been sold tbh, having him run down his contract whilst the other strikers gel would have been less of a gamble and would have saved a lot of face - which to be honest, is all we're really fighting for this season.

Marc Overmars
27-08-2012, 10:20 AM
Conversely, too much is made of this "they need more time to gel" bollocks. Chamakh arrived and scored on his debut, however poorly he's been since, he did a job for us during the first few months of his arrival. RVP, Kawaga, Hazard, Mitchu - new signings from other teams, all have scored so it's a little trite to give ourselves a free pass on this considering how competitive (I believe) this season, and the top 4 place, will be.

Pretty much.

Although we've essentially bought a new hub to our attack and I do get what Wenget said yesterday about them needing a bit of time to find an understanding. They need to sharpen up quickly though with the fixtures we've got coming up.

Özim
27-08-2012, 10:33 AM
Yup not all players need time to gel, I'm not saying are new signings won't get better, what I am saying is that it's a problem for us as we're not looking dangerous at all.

We can't really afford for these new signings to take maybe 10 games to start scoring because by then we'll have dropped far too many points, we basically don't have any goalscorers in the team.

IBK
27-08-2012, 12:09 PM

RVP should never have been sold tbh, having him run down his contract whilst the other strikers gel would have been less of a gamble and would have saved a lot of face - which to be honest, is all we're really fighting for this season.

You have pretty much proved my point. You seem to be confusing the issue of Rvp being sold and the performance of the current team. No one in their right mind is arguing that we are better off without RVP. But keeping him was simply not an option. He wanted out and was offered a four year contract and lots more money at a bigger club. IMO those who think it would have been good for the club to make him stay another year are dreaming. Yes Spurs played hardball with Modric, but he had longer left on his contract (I think) and Wasn't club captain. Do you really think that Rvp would have performed like he did last season having been stripped of the captaincy (inevitable) and having released his statement that couldn't have burned his bridges any more conclusively? How do you think the dressing room atmosphere would have been? Remember the Gallas situation once he had got pissed off? It's naive to think keeping RVP would have been any better. No matter how good a player is football is a team sport and one individual is never more important than the team.

Back to the case in point. Other strikers have scored on their debuts. So what? It doesn't change my point about bedding in. Giroud could easily have scored in the last 2 games. So could podolski. Yes there are some exceptions who hit the ground running that doesn't change the fact that in the real world most players take time to bed in. You mention your players. I point to the likes of Henry Drogba Torres - and yes even everybody's favourite departed hero - Rvp. None of whom became what they were first off. It amuses me that you even cite Chamakh to support your point :lol: Chamakh came into a settled team. With Fabregas, Nasri in it. Giroud, Podolski are thrown into a team with an entirely new midfield and forward line up. A striker depends more than any midfielder on an understanding with his teammates - because he depends on rather than dictating the play. Expecting our new strikers to fire consistently from the off - particularly when our style of play depends on defence splitting passes rather than playing into space, particularly against the likes of Sunderland and Stoke who really do little more than close down as a whole team in defence is a pipe dream.

We would all like to be challenging for the league. Reality dictates that through no real fault of the club's we are starting from behind again. Don't let your frustration turn you against players after just 2 games.

IBK
27-08-2012, 12:41 PM
Yup not all players need time to gel, I'm not saying are new signings won't get better, what I am saying is that it's a problem for us as we're not looking dangerous at all.

We can't really afford for these new signings to take maybe 10 games to start scoring because by then we'll have dropped far too many points, we basically don't have any goalscorers in the team.

Nonsense. We have the French league's top scorer from last season and a striker who has scored a shit load of goals for one of the top international teams in the world. Get a grip!

Özim
27-08-2012, 12:49 PM
Nonsense. We have the French league's top scorer from last season and a striker who has scored a shit load of goals for one of the top international teams in the world. Get a grip!
French league's top scorer in one season yes, he has however only played in the top league for 2 seasons and before last season his record was not great, he's totally unproven which explains why we got him cheapish, we've seen plenty of one seaosn wonders in the past.

As for Podolski, well yes that's true but he had better players around him and the style of play of his club and country was very different, don't think he suits the slow pass football we play, he's more of a counter attacking kind of player (he was seen shouting at teammates in frustration several times yesterday and it's only been two games).

As for this not being the clubs fault, sorry but that BS it's totally their fault we are where we are.

Cripps_orig
27-08-2012, 12:59 PM
I think Podolski will come good. He has a good record.

Got to agree with Zimm on Giroud though. One season wonder who did nothing before last season. Jury is out on him. Kevin Phillips was top scorer in England not so long ago but no one has heard of him since. Hope Giroud doesnt go the same way

Özim
27-08-2012, 01:05 PM
I think Podolski is a good player for sure, I'm just wondering whether a counter attacking pacey game where he can use his speed is much more suited to his game.

Marc Overmars
27-08-2012, 01:43 PM
I'm not convinced about Giroud either, my worst fear is that he could be Chakma MKII.

Far too early to come to any conclusions though and he does seem to have a 'triffic work rate, he certainly wasn't bossed by Shaw**** and Huth yesterday and gave as good as he got.

He needs to stay central though, no drifting out wide.

Niall_Quinn
27-08-2012, 05:27 PM

If Giroud flops, we lose. If Giroud comes good, we lose because we'll sell him. This is the point about all the transition and "gel'ling" BS. Having to transition and gel every year because the best players are sold out from under the team to balance the books and prop the share price (so a few fuckers can grow an investment and get rich, whatever the consequences), is the real problem. We transition and gel as a matter of course, the transition is permanent and ongoing, the personnel changes more frequent than traffic lights (except for the shit which is retained). Winning, losing, trophies, good results against Stoke, bad results against Stoke, keeping up with Chelsea, City's billions - we're not there yet, those things aren't even on our radar. Stopping the board constantly raping the team is the starting point. We're a training ground and feeder for the big clubs, and an investment vehicle for a few ****s first and foremost and in absolute priority to anything that happens on the pitch. European competition isn't about the sport, it's about the money. That's our goal each year, to bring on players to the point of cash out and pick up a cheque for making up the numbers in the Champions League. We don't buy players to improve the team, we buy prospects to develop and sell and the rest we buy to plug the holes.

Selling our 29 year old captain to a club that used to be our rivals but are now a million miles ahead of us is the ultimate expression of our corporate first agenda. Yes, selling RvP might have been inevitable - but only based on all the sales and lack of investment that has gone before. When was the last time we said "No"? Wenger tries his best, to the point of making himself look and idiot, to hang on to these players and build a stable unit - the board tries their best to sell them out from under him. This much is evident from the statements that have escaped even the close shop at Arsenal. I said it two years ago, last year and that's all I'm focused on this year because everything else has been rendered meaningless. Until the board is held to account and driven out then nothing changes - the "we had no choice" moment with Walcott is on the horizon, next year it's Jack, then Ox - and goodbye to anyone else who plays a couple of notches above the norm. This is what we do - we build players and sell players, this is now the purpose of the club.

It may be seen as an act of loyalty to eat shit with a smile on your face, that's my opinion of the fans who claims, nothing to see here, move along. Just my opinion, I get that other people see it other ways. But it's pretty hard to ignore what's going on almost in plain sight. When the same shit happens year after year, it's hard to place too much credence in the "wait until we gel" promise. "Gel'ling" would be the worst of all outcomes because out comes the for sale signs as soon as that happens. We have established a trend, the players see it, the other clubs see it. We won't break this any time soon.

What's funny is the ****s upstairs claiming we run a self-sustaining model. Anyone can be self-sustaining when they hike the prices to world record levels, rake the fans and then fuck them up the arse by selling the team out from under them. Nothing to be proud of there, it's just grubby, greedy little men doing what they do best. We're a football club, sustain the fucking team first please. Gel nothing, transition nothing, build something you ****s - instead of constantly tearing it down.

Olivier's xmas twist
27-08-2012, 05:47 PM

Not if we bought a ready made replacement then him being sold makes no diffrence, the fact we did not but bought players who do need time to gel is the problem. maybe if we bought a Ba or even got Hernadez as part of the rvp we may have been better off but only the end of the season will tell.

Olivier's xmas twist
27-08-2012, 05:52 PM
I'm not convinced about Giroud either, my worst fear is that he could be Chakma MKII.

Far too early to come to any conclusions though and he does seem to have a 'triffic work rate, he certainly wasn't bossed by Shaw**** and Huth yesterday and gave as good as he got.

I think it would have been silly to be expecting him to score 30 goals for us this season on his own. i think he is better the Chamack and will prove to be. Im sure once he gets his shooting boots on he will be ok. But like Zimm says we can't be waiting 10 games or so for him and poldi to score or get used to the prem and that is why we need to spend big this week and mostly in prem based players or ready made quality strikers who can do the job now.

Really and truly we should have Played Bendtner vs Sunderland might be big headed but he knows how to play in this league and maybe could have been the diffrence.

SayNoMore
27-08-2012, 08:30 PM
The reason why Giroud is not going to be another chamakh is that hes prepared to shoot. He will be a good player for us, not RVP class but nevertheless a reasonable buy. My worry is that it still wont be enough, another attacking player is still needed imo, to think that chamakh is his replacement is scary.

selassie
27-08-2012, 08:38 PM

I'm not convinced about Giroud either. I saw bits and pieces of him last season at Montpellier and he's a good player, but I don't think he's good enough to lead us to trophies and it worries me that he's effectively our no.1 striker now. As it stands he's basically a polished/upgraded version of "Bendtner".

Arsene has a lot of work to do on him to transform him from a good to very good to world class striker.

I do think Giroud is a good player and I'm not having a pop at him but I think we need more up top, like "super" quality as Arsene likes to point out.

Jury is out.

gooners
27-08-2012, 08:54 PM
The reason why Giroud is not going to be another chamakh is that hes prepared to shoot. He will be a good player for us, not RVP class but nevertheless a reasonable buy. My worry is that it still wont be enough, another attacking player is still needed imo, to think that chamakh is his replacement is scary.

wait till he's been here a few months

Ollie the Optimist
27-08-2012, 09:30 PM
wtih giroud and people saying he isnt the super quality we need etc, i can only think of one striker who was super quality who played for wenger when signed adn thats db10.

we are all saying there is no rvp to finish these chances etc yet when we signed him he wasnt super quality. however the problem is, we want success now, we are not giving these strikers a chance to gel, just look at the reaction after two games. giroud will be ok, podolski too.

Cripps_orig
27-08-2012, 09:34 PM
wtih giroud and people saying he isnt the super quality we need etc, i can only think of one striker who was super quality who played for wenger when signed adn thats db10.

we are all saying there is no rvp to finish these chances etc yet when we signed him he wasnt super quality. however the problem is, we want success now, we are not giving these strikers a chance to gel, just look at the reaction after two games. giroud will be ok, podolski too.We have waited 7 years tbh so its not like we havent been patient

Olivier's xmas twist
27-08-2012, 09:41 PM
We have waited 7 years tbh so its not like we havent been patient

The league is 38 games not 2, of course you want success but just because he failed to score in 2 games does not mean he should be branded a flop staight away.

And yes we waited 7 years for succes but City waited 30 years or more for theirs. Chaves waited 51 years to win the league did they not.

What right have we had to win anything in the last 7 years.

Grebbo
27-08-2012, 09:54 PM

we are all saying there is no rvp to finish these chances etc yet when we signed him he wasnt super quality. however the problem is, we want success now, we are not giving these strikers a chance to gel, just look at the reaction after two games. giroud will be ok, podolski too.

I'd agree with you but Bergkamp had Wright, Henry had Bergkamp, RVC had Bergkamp and Henry....Who has Giroud got to help out with the goals?? Nobody. It's not as if our midfielders score any goals either.

I'm seriously worried about our 'strike force'. RVC carried us to third last season and he's gone. I don't see Giroud carrying us and I don't see our midfield suddenly scoring a bucket full of goals.

The only positive is our defence seems better so we might not need so many goals this year to finish top four.

One Nil to The Arsenal!!

Niall_Quinn
27-08-2012, 10:15 PM
The league is 38 games not 2, of course you want success but just because he failed to score in 2 games does not mean he should be branded a flop staight away.

And yes we waited 7 years for succes but City waited 30 years or more for theirs. Chaves waited 51 years to win the league did they not.

What right does the board have to asset strip the club and waltz off with £500mill in their wallets? What right does this yank have to come in and commence round 2? The level of quality has been steadily declining for years. That's not to say the players here now (some of them at least) aren't decent, but that's all they are. They aren't world class. We've swapped world class for second class and the evidence has been clear to see on the pitch. This has been done under a disguise of financial prudence and stadium building. The cost to the fans has been higher ticket prices coupled with declining quality. The benefits have been 100% in favour of the few at the top. That's the problem here. It really is a case of rearranging deck chairs to pick apart the symptoms and hope for remedy while ignoring the root cause. Yes, sure, Arsenal will be top four again and eventually some of these players will perform, there will be a run of form, a slump, a series of brave falls, the usual dramatic collapse at a key moment and the slow and painful crawl across the line. It's so predictable because the mode of operation is unchanging and there's over half a decade of results and patterns to measure against. Correct, it's only 2 games and the media whores are having a field day with a story that frankly writes itself - no RvP, no goals. Not so simple in the real world but very simple to write, what else would you expect from them? But there's zero sign of change at this club. So all this hope and patience and whatever else is as futile as it is admirable. Putting a brave face on the inevitable does not change the outcome. If only the team could play entertaining football, that would be some compensation. But it;s the most boring football in the league by a distance.

Cripps_orig
27-08-2012, 10:27 PM

No ones branded him a flop. Worst someone has said from what i can see is that they arent sure about him and thats fair enough cos neither am i. Better than calling him world class as some well one has on here

It is harsh on him that he has to put up with frustrations of the fans caused by others which is of no fault of his own but that is what has happened. For him its only been 2 games but for the fans its just a continuation of the same old Arsenal. Had this been 5 years ago or maybe even 2 or 3 then the fans would have all the patience in the world. Alas we have come to a time where the patience has gone and players and club be them old or new, young or old, ugly or pretty need to produce from the off and that hasnt happened. Thats not just for Giroud but also Podolski and Cazorla. The latter has played well but he has no goals or assists and he cant shoot for shit atm and at this club, his shooting wont get much better.

Dont see what City or Chelsea have to do with anything

SayNoMore
27-08-2012, 10:49 PM
No ones branded him a flop. Worst someone has said from what i can see is that they arent sure about him and thats fair enough cos neither am i. Better than calling him world class as some well one has on here

It is harsh on him that he has to put up with frustrations of the fans caused by others which is of no fault of his own but that is what has happened. For him its only been 2 games but for the fans its just a continuation of the same old Arsenal. Had this been 5 years ago or maybe even 2 or 3 then the fans would have all the patience in the world. Alas we have come to a time where the patience has gone and players and club be them old or new, young or old, ugly or pretty need to produce from the off and that hasnt happened. Thats not just for Giroud but also Podolski and Cazorla. The latter has played well but he has no goals or assists and he cant shoot for shit atm and at this club, his shooting wont get much better.

gooners
27-08-2012, 11:37 PM

Ach :bow:

Mr. Lahey
28-08-2012, 01:57 AM
My two cents, our strikers are fine. The midfield hardly gave them anything to work with. We pulled our pass pass pass routine as soon as we got to the box. Arteta and Diaby offered very little as far as delivery. Numerous occasions Giroud tried to make a run in behind the back line and we just passed it sideways instead of attempting to be more direct. We have to change the way we play, this is not anything new. Its even already been said, we struggled to score when RVP wasnt around to save us. We need to cut out the wanna be Barcelona act and return to a more direct, counter attacking style.

Edit - Our wingers offered next to nothing either. It wasnt just Arteta and Diaby.

IBK
28-08-2012, 09:00 AM
French league's top scorer in one season yes, he has however only played in the top league for 2 seasons and before last season his record was not great, he's totally unproven which explains why we got him cheapish, we've seen plenty of one seaosn wonders in the past.

As for Podolski, well yes that's true but he had better players around him and the style of play of his club and country was very different, don't think he suits the slow pass football we play, he's more of a counter attacking kind of player (he was seen shouting at teammates in frustration several times yesterday and it's only been two games).

As for this not being the clubs fault, sorry but that BS it's totally their fault we are where we are.

You are changing the goalposts to suit your disenchantment with the club. You said we had no goal scorers. I pointed out that we have signed 2 players who have proven they are goal scorers. Then the argument changes to one that says Giroud only had one stand out season in France so isn't good enough. FFS. We get it. We get that we have not signed a RVP equivalent. That is obvious. But RVP players don't grow on trees, and we will always be out spent by the most valuable commercial club on earth and 2 clubs who are on petrodollar steroids. People now talk about the likes of Cisse and Djemba Ba. Who were they when they came to the EPL? You talk about Giroud coming from Ligue 1. Well so did Koscielny, and he took one season to become one of the best central defenders in the league. Face it. This is Wenger's strength. To take unknowns and make them top players. You might bemoan the fact that we then tend to lose them, but this is the bleak reality for a club like ours. Yes, we are arguably over-conservative - but would you rather we became the next Malaga, the next Rangers by taking stupid risks.

As for it being the club's fault that RVP left. How exactly? We opened talks with him at 140K per week. His reaction? A statement that deliberately ended his career with us. If the club's crime was not to offer him 200k straight off, then It is no crime to me. Do that, and you would see the club unravel in a way that makes our current position look like nirvana.

Do we pay mediocre players too much? Sure. Is the club trying to change things? The signs are there. Is it frustrating that we are having to rebuild again? Hell yes. Is it reasonable to write off our chances of building a CL team after 2 games. Obviously yes.

The Ogg Monster
28-08-2012, 09:37 AM
My two cents, our strikers are fine. The midfield hardly gave them anything to work with. We pulled our pass pass pass routine as soon as we got to the box. Arteta and Diaby offered very little as far as delivery. Numerous occasions Giroud tried to make a run in behind the back line and we just passed it sideways instead of attempting to be more direct. We have to change the way we play, this is not anything new. Its even already been said, we struggled to score when RVP wasnt around to save us. We need to cut out the wanna be Barcelona act and return to a more direct, counter attacking style.

Edit - Our wingers offered next to nothing either. It wasnt just Arteta and Diaby.

I agree, nothing wrong with Podolski or Giroud as far as I can see (only two games mind, but theyre both obviously class strikers.) I dont think theres a serious problem anyway, we pretty much dominated both games but were poor in the final third. Why Walcott and Oxo both started as subs is beyond me tho.

selassie
28-08-2012, 10:18 AM
Anybody else think Mannone had a good game? I don't particularly rate him but I thought his catching and general commanding of the box was very good TBF.

She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
28-08-2012, 10:32 AM
yeah but he's a cock up away from costing us points as usual.

back up keeper needed.

Japan Shaking All Over
28-08-2012, 10:40 AM

back up keeper needed.

Harsh however so it may be. . .defence was solid and he contributed to that

Olivier's xmas twist
28-08-2012, 10:45 AM

No ones branded him a flop. The media have started.

Agree with the rest of your post. The bit i bolded i think when they all score that 1st goal and get confidence they will all be fine.

GP
28-08-2012, 10:49 AM

back up keeper needed.

By that logic the same goes for any goalkeeper in the world.

We can do better, of course, but credit where it's due.

She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
28-08-2012, 11:10 AM
he's not just any goalkeeper. he's a keeper that's been on our payroll for 7 years and made cock-ups.

eating away at our wage bill.

get rid.