PDA

View Full Version : Arsenal youngsters you had the most hope for but ended up flopping?

Dicks and chicks
03-09-2012, 10:33 AM
For me I have 2 that would be highest up my list, Jeremy Aliadiere, i thought he was very good during the untouchable season in 03/04 did really well in the league cup, thought he could have amounted to something. Carlos Vela as well, seeing as we beat Real Madrid to sign him and his impressive performances at the under 17 world cups, he also scored a few classy goals for arsenal

Cripps_orig
03-09-2012, 10:35 AM
Cesc Fabregas

Grebbo
03-09-2012, 10:38 AM
Vela looked like a star but I think he was a lazy fucker which was ultimately his downfall.

I had the most hope for Walcott and even though he's not a flop he should be a world beater by now. Been at Arsenal for 8 years? Hasn't progressed nearly enough in that time.

Dicks and chicks
03-09-2012, 10:44 AM
Vela looked like a star but I think he was a lazy fucker which was ultimately his downfall.

I had the most hope for Walcott and even though he's not a flop he should be a world beater by now. Been at Arsenal for 8 years? Hasn't progressed nearly enough in that time.
he's still young

Dicks and chicks
03-09-2012, 10:44 AM
Cesc Fabregas

K.

Niall_Quinn
03-09-2012, 10:47 AM
Anelka - could have had a Giggs/ Scholes type career and tore up all the records. But had a shit character and an even shittier family. Shame. Arsene's first big kick in the teeth and the kicks have been coming ever since.

Boss
03-09-2012, 10:50 AM
Vela & Lansbury.

Olivier's xmas twist
03-09-2012, 10:50 AM
Lupoli, Bendtner, Vela, Jérémie Aliadière,Mark Randall, Traore, so many more tbh
Thought Pennant would make it here till he started behaving like an ass.

GP
03-09-2012, 10:51 AM
The one and only David Bentley

:haha:

What a wasteman.

Dicks and chicks
03-09-2012, 10:51 AM
Lupoli, Bendtner, Vela, Jérémie Aliadière,Mark Randall, Traore, so many more tbh
Thought Pennant would make it here till he started behaving like an ass.

Lupoli and Randall did relatively fuck all when they were here, Traore was good on fm

Dicks and chicks
03-09-2012, 10:52 AM
The one and only David Bentley

What a wasteman.
where is he now?

Grebbo
he's still young

Well yeah but he can't even get on as a sub at the moment in a hardly world beating Arsenal team.

Grebbo
David Bentley

Dicks and chicks
03-09-2012, 10:53 AM
Well yeah but he can't even get on as a sub at the moment in a hardly world beating Arsenal team.

maybe thats to do with the contract disputes......

Grebbo
03-09-2012, 10:54 AM
maybe thats to do with the contract disputes......

Maybe but you can bet Wenger would have played RVC in a similar situation.

Dicks and chicks
03-09-2012, 10:54 AM
Maybe but you can bet Wenger would have played RVC in a similar situation.

yeah but RVP is better than walcott

Grebbo
03-09-2012, 10:55 AM
yeah but RVP is better than walcott

That was my point!

Olivier's xmas twist
03-09-2012, 10:56 AM
That was my point!

such a waste of pots LMFAO

Marc Overmars
03-09-2012, 11:42 AM
Vela probably. We'd heard about him for a long time but he couldn't play for us because of his work permit issues, but when he finally did play he turned out to be garbage, bar the odd #decent finish against pub teams.

Toronto Gooner
03-09-2012, 11:46 AM
I woud say Vela. I saw him play for Mexico in the Under 20 World Cup and was really happy when he joined Arsenal.

fakeyank
03-09-2012, 11:48 AM
Justin Hoyte :lol:

V-Pig
03-09-2012, 11:51 AM
Theo. Used to be Ox-like in my estimation but he never developed.

Ollie the Optimist
03-09-2012, 11:51 AM
where is he now?

at spurs. the worlds greatest buisnessman daniel levy paid 15 million for him. and we got five of that.

spurs :pal:

Newguy
03-09-2012, 03:03 PM
i thought Quincy was gonna be the one....not sure where he its now

Dicks and chicks
03-09-2012, 03:22 PM
i thought Quincy was gonna be the one....not sure where he its now

Qatar league on 80k a week

GP
He's at Panathinaikos now. He's been all over the place by the looks of it. Never played more than 30 league games for any club.

Dicks and chicks
Justin Hoyte :lol:

omggg yes, loads of people said he was good , Wenger put faith in him and he turned out crap, still at the Borough

Dicks and chicks
03-09-2012, 03:23 PM
Vela probably. We'd heard about him for a long time but he couldn't play for us because of his work permit issues, but when he finally did play he turned out to be garbage, bar the odd #decent finish against pub teams.

his chip against wigan in the Carling Cup :rose:

GP
03-09-2012, 03:39 PM
Andre Santos is our chip master now.

Olivier's xmas twist
03-09-2012, 03:45 PM
Gavin Hoyte :pal:

Munchies
03-09-2012, 03:54 PM
Remember the right back Kerea Gilbert ? People were saying he was the next big thing, after setting up Henry in a carling cup match I think ?

LDG
03-09-2012, 03:57 PM
Remember the right back Kerea Gilbert ? People were saying he was the next big thing, after setting up Henry in a carling cup match I think ?

Yeah. Pacey little lad.

GP
03-09-2012, 04:03 PM
Yeah he had a decent run in the side when Lauren got injured but it just didn't work out for him.

GP
03-09-2012, 04:03 PM
Fucking hell he's at Shamrock Rovers now :lol:

Olivier's xmas twist
03-09-2012, 04:33 PM

I remember Him.

Dicks and chicks
03-09-2012, 04:39 PM

http://i40.tinypic.com/fwr3td.jpg

Keith
03-09-2012, 04:58 PM
Can Richard Wright be included?

Dicks and chicks
03-09-2012, 05:17 PM
Can Richard Wright be included?
didn't we pay 6million for him? He's at Man city now though winning trophies, something which he wouldn't get at arsenal

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
03-09-2012, 05:51 PM
Stuart Taylor the other English goalkeeper who played about a dozen games when we won the title in 01/02

Went to Man City after they got rich but never played a first team game i don't think, was back up for Aston Villa in goal after Stefan Postma videotaped himself having sex with his girlfriend.

Dennis Bendtner
03-09-2012, 06:03 PM
They all excite with glimpses but the best ones made it.

Ryan Smith :lol:

I liked Lupoli. Always too limited to make it though, looking back.

McNamara That Ghost...
03-09-2012, 06:05 PM
JET.

FFS.

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
03-09-2012, 06:17 PM
As much as i hate to say it Jermaine Pennant

I think myself and a lot of people who remember him scoring that hat-trick against Southampton at the end of 02/03 thought this was a guy who could re-claim us the title from Man United in 03/04.

We did claim back the title!.....he was on loan at Leeds ha ha ha ha....fair play to him he did score against Chelsea once in that loan spell!

Özim
03-09-2012, 06:26 PM
For me it was Aliadiere and Vela.

Aliadiere's career was ruined by too many injuries, Vela just never improved under Wenger.....under a different manager he may have blossomed.

With regards Pennant, when Wenger signed him he claimed he was one of England's biggest talent, but then he does have a tendency of overhyping stuff so you have to take his words with a large pinch of salt when it comes to his views about players. It's another reason he's a bit of a joke, the ridiculous statements he comes out with.

Dicks and chicks
03-09-2012, 07:06 PM
For me it was Aliadiere and Vela.

Aliadiere's career was ruined by too many injuries, Vela just never improved under Wenger.....under a different manager he may have blossomed.

With regards Pennant, when Wenger signed him he claimed he was one of England's biggest talent, but then he does have a tendency of overhyping stuff so you have to take his words with a large pinch of salt when it comes to his views about players. It's another reason he's a bit of a joke, the ridiculous statements he comes out with.
we payed a fair bit for him as well in my opinion £2million for a 15 year old is way over the top

GP
03-09-2012, 07:33 PM
we payed a fair bit for him as well in my opinion £2million for a 15 year old is way over the top

That's more than I'd pay for a 15-year-old.

Dennis Bendtner
03-09-2012, 07:40 PM
I remember GW's collective wank over Anthony Stokes ripping up the SPL. lol

tpyo
03-09-2012, 08:08 PM
Fran Merida

Power n Glory
03-09-2012, 08:17 PM
Reyes, Quincy, Aliadière and Senderos.

Xhaka Can’t
03-09-2012, 09:00 PM
Pennant for me.

What a toe rag.

hobson's choice
03-09-2012, 09:16 PM
Reyes, he had all the physical and technical tools, combo of homesickness, Neville brothers, and that Aragones incident really messd him up.

Denilson too, had high hopes for him, I remember when he first came here, he wasn't shy to pass the ball around, and look to make plays. He did well up until that last season, when for some reason he just became a 2-5 yard pass merchant.

I still remember that game he played against Chelsea(a couple of seasons back), when Wenger played him in the wide right position(due to injuries). He was immense, one his best games for us. I really think that back injury, had a big impact on his performances after he came back.

AKBapologist
04-09-2012, 11:00 AM
Many Arsenal fans were hailing the emergence of a new team following their 2-0 victory over Liverpool at Anfield last Sunday. Cast your minds back to January 2007 and the Gunners fans were speaking in similar terms. Arsenal had just fielded a team of youngsters that had gone to Anfield for a Carling Cup tie and hammered the home side, who had the likes of Steven Gerrard and Sami Hyppia in their side, 6-3. Both fans and pundits alike claimed that this Arsenal team would in couple of years, once they had matured, conquer all before them. So what happened to the players in that Arsenal team that night who seemingly had the world at their feet?

Manuel Almunia (Goalkeeper)

The Spaniard eventually became the Number 1 goalkeeper and for a period his form was such that there was talk of him taking up English nationality and turning out for the Three Lions. However, a mistake was never far away for Almunia and after a horrible run of form and howlers, he lost his place to teenager Wojciech Szczesny. Is now at Watford in the Championship.

Justin Hoyte (Right Back)

A regular in England Under 21 squads at the time, Hoyte was enjoying his best period as an Arsenal player with regular appearances in the first team. Never truly seemed to be good enough however and has now found his level in the Championship at Middlesbrough.

Kolo Toure (Centre Back)

The Gunners’ captain on the night and at the time was rightly seen as one of the league’s best defenders. However, Toure’s uneasy relationship with defensive compatriot William Gallas before his contraction of malaria saw Toure unsettled and importantly, lose the lightning recovery pace that he often needed. Became one of the first Arsenal players to move to Manchester City.

Johan Djourou (Centre Back)

One of the only members of the side who currently remains at the club, but very much as a 4th choice centre back. Retains Wenger’s trust but has struggled with injuries. Appeared to be making a break through as he enjoyed a productive 2010-11 season but struggled badly last season, particularly in an ill-fated stint at right back.

Armand Traore (Left Back)

Fans had high hopes for Traore, a marauding, lightning quick left back in the Gael Clichy/Ashley Cole mould. However, later years saw Traore’s performances degenerate to the extent that many Arsenal fans cringed when seeing his name in the starting line up. His final appearance for the club? Manchester Utd 8-2 Arsenal. Is now at QPR.

Theo Walcott (Right Midfield)

Making one of his first appearances for the club since his big money move from Southampton as a 16 year old. Has many critics from both fans and observers for his wayward final ball and perceived lack of technical ability, but has established himself as a regular for both club and country, improving season upon season. Is currently in contract dispute with the club and could leave for nothing next summer.

Cesc Fabregas (Central Midfield)

Arsenal’s future captain was only 20 at the time but gave Anfield a masterclass in midfield control and passing. Went from strength to strength and began to add goals to his game in a truly brilliant spell for the Gunners which deserved a trophy for all his efforts. Has now finally returned to the club Arsenal pinched him off, Barcelona, after a three year transfer saga that had most Arsenal fans craving for his departure by its end simply to give the club the chance to move on.

Alex Song (Central Midfield)

A goalscorer on the night; coming weeks after Song was booed off at half time by his own fans in game at Fulham after a truly horrendous performance. Would eventually establish himself in the Arsenal midfield and would progress from a mere holding midfielder to one of exceptional passing ability (Arsenal’s top assist maker last season). Another one who has now departed for Barcelona after a contract dispute.

Denilson (Left Midfield)

It’s hard to believe but at the time many thought Arsenal had one of the world’s best young midfielders on their hands. Appeared to have it all; passing ability, wonderful technique, a willingness to get forward and the tenacity to compete. However, an extended run in the first team in 2008-09 highlighted his slight physique and Gunners fans became enraged at his inability (or unwillingness depending on who you talk to) to track back on counter attacks. Is now farmed out on loan to Brazilian club Sao Paolo after Arsenal were unable to find a buyer.

Julio Baptista (Striker)

Appeared to be kickstarting his Gunners career with his four goal haul at Anfield but “the Beast” never found his bite at the Emirates. Could never settle in a regular position and ironically for a man with his nickname, appeared to lack the physicality or pace English football required. A disappointing loan spell was not renewed at the end of that season and after a similar disappointing spell for Roma, is now back to something like his Sevilla form at fellow Spanish side Malaga.

Jeremie Aliadiere (Striker)

Despite Baptista’s four goals, was arguably Arsenal’s stand out performer on the night as he scored one and laid on three more for his strike partner. Having emerged in the early 2000s as both Arsenal and France’s best young striking hope, by January 2007 Aliadiere had already had unproductive loan spells at the likes of West Ham, Wolves and Celtic. For all his talent, the Frenchman never convinced consistently enough for the Gunners and at the end of the season was sold to Middlesbrough. Is now at French side Lorient.

This Arsenal team went on to be defeated in the Carling Cup final that season by Chelsea before many of its players suffered several near misses in the years afterwards. This is not to draw any conclusions on Arsenal's current crop of players and their chances for success, only that sometimes, even the brightest young talents cannot guarantee senior success.

http://www.footballfriendsonline.com/blogs/2012/9/4/whatever-happened-to-the-arsenal-side-that-beat-liverpool-6.html?

/thread

Olivier's xmas twist
04-09-2012, 01:29 PM
They all excite with glimpses but the best ones made it.

Ryan Smith :lol:

Remember this guy was meant to be the next big thing, then just dissapered.

Olivier's xmas twist
04-09-2012, 01:31 PM

Maybe we paid it installments rather then 1 payment.

Syn
04-09-2012, 02:02 PM
Ryan Smith was never the next big thing :blink:

Vela by far. Stupid lazy jackass.

She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
04-09-2012, 02:10 PM
joel campbell

Dicks and chicks
03-11-2012, 02:45 PM

i had so much hope for him.

Olivier's xmas twist
03-11-2012, 02:52 PM

Hence the word meant to be.

She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
03-11-2012, 02:53 PM
the whole of the youth project players.

Grebbo
03-11-2012, 08:22 PM
Ramsey

milla
03-11-2012, 08:33 PM
Ramsey

The best of the best, utter fekin beast. :coffee:

Globalgunner
03-11-2012, 08:34 PM
Wenger.....showed a lot of early promise but turned out to have no bottle, no strength and bad eyesight let him down too.

RomfordPele
03-11-2012, 09:25 PM
Diaby by a mile. Thought he was going to be the guy to replace paddy.

Injury ruined him.

-Xs-
03-11-2012, 09:51 PM
Wenger.....showed a lot of early promise but turned out to have no bottle, no strength and bad eyesight let him down too.

He was on his way to the bottle bank....