PDA

View Full Version : Match reaction vs Monty

Marc Overmars
18-09-2012, 08:39 PM
Get in!! Delighted with the 3 points, away wins in Europe don't come around too often.

We looked very tired in the 2nd half which was concerning, I think Monty were good for a point if I'm honest.

Diaby was back to his old self. :doh:

Anyway, come on you Gunners!

She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
18-09-2012, 08:40 PM
get in :bow:

had my heart in my mouth a number of times but we done it in the end. all the lads gave 110% and we cant really ask for much more.

diaby was awfully good then awfully bad at times. kept overcomplicating things and giving the ball away but it turned out alright in the end. our defensive work was incredible, all the midfielders came back to help out. when was the last time we saw that prior to this season? diaby was playing left back for most of the game :bow:

worried for giroud. seems shot of any confidence and needs a goal asap. not sure if we should start him against city.

it was crucial to get a win here today to keep the momentum going. city lost which is an added bonus.

McNamara That Ghost...
18-09-2012, 08:41 PM
Poor second half but we won. :bow:

Dennis Bendtner
18-09-2012, 08:41 PM
Not a good performance. Important to score the chances we had. Younis Bellenda should've got them a point. Monty are a good team. Good luck to them. Winning at the first time of asking in an away fixture takes the pressure off though.

She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
18-09-2012, 08:42 PM
Not a good performance. Important to score the chances we had. Younis Bellenda should've got them a point. Monty are a good team. Good luck to them.

last season we would have lost. no doubt about it.

bould comes in and we show defensive resilience.

bould :bow:

Joker
18-09-2012, 08:42 PM
Good first half but a terrible second. If Monty had a bit more quality in the final third they'd have definitely got the equaliser. Need to improve massively for the City game.

Xhaka Can’t
18-09-2012, 08:44 PM
The overriding feeling is one of relief.

Alpha
18-09-2012, 08:46 PM
Montpellier are champions of France . So not a walk-over as many would expect . Any team would find it hard to beat them in their ground . 3 points that's what matter . They made us work hard and help Wenger to see what he has to do to improve the team .

Syn
18-09-2012, 08:47 PM
Away win in the CL against a good team. I can't complain.

The players did look very sluggish in the second half. This was why I was hoping we'd rest some key players. A draw would've been a good result in this game - I would rather we went all out for the Man City game instead but lets see.

Globalgunner
18-09-2012, 08:49 PM
Our defending still leaves a lot to be desired. We got lucky with that one. On another day we could have lost 4-2. Good thing Szhazny wasnt in goal. would have dropped a clanger for sure. CL footie...best in the world. Pisses on any other competition

Marc Overmars
18-09-2012, 08:51 PM
I don't think Giroud should start against City. I know it's harsh because he has to play otherwise he'll never regain confidence, but he looks pretty out of sorts.

Master Splinter
Good result. Points in the bag. Job done. Sign of last 16 qualifiers.

gunnerrrrr
We looked very very tired second half. Midfield came unstuck when pressure was placed, pressing etc
We will learn, get better for this as a team as our new guys carry on jelling.
Good result away from home, but performance overall was poor.

Dennis Bendtner
18-09-2012, 08:54 PM
last season we would have lost. no doubt about it.

bould comes in and we show defensive resilience.

bould :bow:

Pretty lax with the subs today. Learning from the famous WengerBot. Think the subs should have been introduced earlier in midfield. But there you go. This is a bit of a smash and grab really but glad to have it.

She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
18-09-2012, 08:54 PM
Our defending still leaves a lot to be desired. We got lucky with that one. On another day we could have lost 4-2. Good thing Szhazny wasnt in goal. would have dropped a clanger for sure. CL footie...best in the world. Pisses on any other competition

you create your own luck

we've been working tirelessly on shape, tactics and our organisation

it paid off

last season we done none of that and had rotten luck

thats the way it works im afraid

sometimes you just need to win at all costs and keep momentum going. champions league football is another level compared to domestic football. i mean cazorla never loses the ball but lost it plenty of times tonight. goes to show the massive gulf in quality between the two competitions.

first time ive been happy for fuck knows how long

which means we'll probably get stuffed at city

Power n Glory
18-09-2012, 08:56 PM
A good 3 points and we came from behind. A good first half. Bad second but we rode our luck a bit towards the end. But overall, we defended well.

Giroud.....no idea how he fits into this squad or what he's going to bring to the table. He needs to sit out the City game and play in the Carling Cup.

Dennis Bendtner
18-09-2012, 08:58 PM
Gibbs is continuing to improve which is great to see.

Marc Overmars
18-09-2012, 09:00 PM
Giroud.....no idea how he fits into this squad or what he's going to bring to the table. He needs to sit out the City game and play in the Carling Cup.

He horribly reminds me of Chakma.

Globalgunner
18-09-2012, 09:03 PM
Best thing about the game was Gerveasie scoring again. maybe something is starting to click beneath that skull cap

Guns of Gibraltar
18-09-2012, 09:04 PM
I wouldn´t call it smash and grab because Mont were not that convincing in front of goal, and we had other chances too. I think the lad were a bit too eager to get a result, and didn´t really care about performance. In CL the first win is always massively important.

Xhaka Can’t
Best thing about the game was Gerveasie scoring again. maybe something is starting to click beneath that skull cap

Four goals in a week.

Kano

let's not forget how cham started and how everyone thought we'd bought a decent striker.

no goals for giroud so far is fine - short termism will no doubt cloud common sense for a lot fans though.

Power n Glory
18-09-2012, 09:07 PM

They're different players to be honest. Chamakh worked more for the team and would get loads of touches on the ball but was too scared to shoot. Giroud isn't really linking up play. Got an assist tonight but he doesn't look like a worker. He needs to be more mobile.

GP
18-09-2012, 09:08 PM

Really? Chamakh is just plain shit. Giroud's movement is on another level.

Not worried about him at all.

Dennis Bendtner
18-09-2012, 09:11 PM
I wouldn´t call it smash and grab because Mont were not that convincing in front of goal, and we had other chances too. I think the lad were a bit too eager to get a result, and didn´t really care about performance. In CL the first win is always massively important.

We want to be having a lot better control of the game in the CL. Usually the midfield would play much better than they did. It didn't work today. Can't think of many other chances apart from Cazorla's shot. Monty were pretty slick. But taking a chance like that is what Podolski has been bought to do, and it's great he did. Great movement and finish. Gets us up and running.

Marc Overmars
18-09-2012, 09:12 PM
let's not forget how cham started and how everyone thought we'd bought a decent striker.

no goals for giroud so far is fine - short termism will no doubt cloud common sense for a lot fans though.

There's just something that doesn't click for me when I see a big man as the focal point to our attack. We don't play to that type of strikers strengths.

It's just an observation anyway, very early doors so lets see where we are 3-4 months down from now.

Kano
18-09-2012, 09:16 PM
exactly, that will be a far better time to judge him. he and podolski were never going to play that much together, as it just doesn't work. i think he'll come good and get into double figures by the end of the season - starting at coventry next week.

Ollie the Optimist
18-09-2012, 09:31 PM
Really? Chamakh is just plain shit. Giroud's movement is on another level.

Not worried about him at all.

this, he did really well tonight. won most of his headers, tracked back and helped out. im not worried about him at all, he does everything right just not score. that will come.

also his assit for lukas was brilliant

Static
18-09-2012, 09:35 PM
We didn't play all that well and still won. Sign of a good team.

Onwards we go.

Letters
18-09-2012, 09:41 PM
Sign of champions.

It's on :bow:

Ollie the Optimist
18-09-2012, 09:48 PM

Onwards we go.

last year we went to dortmund and the match was exactly the same as it was today with one difference. we conceded late on. today although not looking good, we played well. nullified their threat, even if the ref was doing his best to help, the diving ****s. i can only really think of one chance they had and that was the mannoe save in the second half. the rest was long shots. we defended well, on we go to city with some real optimism for once

Niall_Quinn
18-09-2012, 10:06 PM
Is Gervais ill? Or has he been replaced by an imposter? Saw the highlights, looked like a shit match if that's all they could rustle up to show. Their pen was a disgrace. Podolski must have been manufactured by Audi and tuned by BMW.

Static
18-09-2012, 10:18 PM
Sign of champions.

It's on :bow:
:lol:

Talk to me after the next two PL games!

4 points please :pray:

Özim
18-09-2012, 10:34 PM
Got the points that's all that matters.

Very lucky 2nd half as they completely dominated us, we barely got out of our half...good thing they didn't have their shooting boots on.

Özim
18-09-2012, 10:38 PM
last year we went to dortmund and the match was exactly the same as it was today with one difference. we conceded late on. today although not looking good, we played well. nullified their threat, even if the ref was doing his best to help, the diving ****s. i can only really think of one chance they had and that was the mannoe save in the second half. the rest was long shots. we defended well, on we go to city with some real optimism for once
Vermaelen thought it was a penalty when asked (so did the Sky panel), he admitted he didn't get the ball, in addition Diaby's late tackle perhaps should have been a penalty (and a red since he'd already caught someone not longer before and was on a yellow).

Our defending was not bad but they exposed us a number of times as well, the easy chance they missed as well Diaby giving the ball away in the penalty area were two of those. Tony Adams wasn't convinced with our defending, I thought we were decent but I can't remember seeing us dominated like that for many a year.

McNamara That Ghost...
18-09-2012, 10:38 PM
Podolski's voice makes me chuckle.

Olivier's xmas twist
18-09-2012, 11:09 PM
Did not see the game, but 3 points away in Europe is always a good thing, on to the next game tbh.

Olivier's xmas twist
18-09-2012, 11:12 PM
Vermaelen thought it was a penalty when asked (so did the Sky panel), he admitted he didn't get the ball, in addition Diaby's late tackle perhaps should have been a penalty (and a red since he'd already caught someone not longer before and was on a yellow).

Our defending was not bad but they exposed us a number of times as well, the easy chance they missed as well Diaby giving the ball away in the penalty area were two of those. Tony Adams wasn't convinced with our defending, I thought we were decent but I can't remember seeing us dominated like that for many a year.

End of the day, they were always going to be up for it, so if we thought we would go there and it would be easy then we'd be naive. it was never going to be a 6-0 some may have thought.

never saw the game so can't comment on the incidents, we got the points all that matters.

Cripps_orig
18-09-2012, 11:23 PM
Terrible performance and a terrible game to watch but we won :dance:

Granted it was against a piss poor outfit but our away form in the CL has been piss poor no matter who we play so 3 points is hand here.

Win the 3 home games which we should and we are through to be knocked out in the next round.

As for the players, surely Mannone is our number 1 now? Ches would have crumbled under that pressure. Mannone was excellent. Defence was fine as well.

Welcome back Diaby. Terrible player as he always has been

I love Podolski

Giroud :lol: Did get an assist though

Wtf has happened to Gervinho? Has his forehead finally got a brain?

Niall_Quinn
18-09-2012, 11:28 PM
Mannone was excellent.

He looked utterly clueless in the highlights. Guess he must have been brilliant the rest of the time then.

Cripps_orig
18-09-2012, 11:31 PM
Must have been

Cripps_orig
18-09-2012, 11:42 PM
on the result...
I am really pleased. It was difficult. I thought we were excellent in the first half – we kept the ball and kept the crowd really quiet. The second half was tough and we looked physically a little bit tired. The crowd got right behind them and it is quite an intimidating place to come and play, so we’re glad to get the result.

on a positive start...
It’s fabulous to get an early away win. We’ve had a decent start to the season and we have kept the run going so it is important all round, not just for the Champions League. We have got some tough games coming up. We have got great team spirit and I think that was evident tonight. Everybody is digging in and things are looking OK.

on the enjoyment factor...
I’m not sure I enjoyed it - I’ve got a headache and a half! It is tough. It’s a different pressure than I’ve been used to taking the under-18s but we won and we had a great result.

on Lukas Podolski...
Podolski has made a real impact. I have to say, I’ve not seen many finishers as good as him – ever. In training, right foot, left foot - he goes in at 100mph, which is fabulous. He’s a good trainer, a good boy. He has really added something this year. I’m not getting involved in whether we are missing Robin, I wasn't involved at the time. Podolski is a good player.

on Olivier Giroud...
Olivier did a really good team job for us tonight. He is another one who works really, really hard for the team. At set-pieces he is fabulous. He defends and he works for the team. I think he only had one chance tonight at the near post that was difficult. He is a really hard-working boy and I’m sure the goals will come.

on defensive improvements...
Any coach will tell you it is about being good players and we have got some good players who want to work. So far, so good. Everybody has spoken about myself but Neil Banfield gets missed and he does a great job, too. There are a lot of good coaches, there are great players and everybody is working hard. I think that is why we’re doing OK at the minute.

on Sunday's trip to Manchester City...
Of course Sunday is a tough test. We certainly go in there with a bit of confidence, with everybody believing things are going OK. But it is a proper test and that is where we want to be. Hopefully we can come through the other side and say we have done OK again. Everybody is fine, touch wood. Things are looking quite bright.

on Montpellier's display...
I wouldn’t say Montpellier surprised us, they have got some very good players. Technically they are very, very high level. They kicked the second half off really well and got the crowd behind them. We are physically a little bit tired so it was tough. It wasn’t a surprise.

Bould :bow:

Japan Shaking All Over
19-09-2012, 02:38 AM
Didnt see the match so have only media/GW to go by but happy we got a win. Sounds as if we werent at our best but came out with three points. Tired is a word often used and I hope we have a big/good enough squad to handle the increase in number of games, it when I hear that, I start to wish we had picked up someone like Dempsey but we didnt so no point dwelling, still got a couple of bodies to come back.

hobson's choice
19-09-2012, 02:59 AM
We got a win, that's all.

And that Mbiwa is good.

Sirjackofwilshere
19-09-2012, 05:58 AM
Giroud is a big worry. Looks mentally feeble..doesnt bode well.

server too busy!
19-09-2012, 07:57 AM
I think Giroud will do a Kozza, be a bit so-so to start with and come good later on. He just needs time to adjust and a goal, like Gervinho. Confidence makes a big difference!

Marc Overmars
19-09-2012, 08:11 AM
And that Mbiwa is good.

Yeah he was brilliant, mopped up everything we had to offer.

Cheeky bid tbf.

LDG
19-09-2012, 08:15 AM
on the result...
I am really pleased. It was difficult. I thought we were excellent in the first half – we kept the ball and kept the crowd really quiet. The second half was tough and we looked physically a little bit tired. The crowd got right behind them and it is quite an intimidating place to come and play, so we’re glad to get the result.

Bouldget :haha:

Özim
19-09-2012, 08:21 AM
Must admin these physically tired comments are strange, the season has only just started.

Olivier's xmas twist
19-09-2012, 08:25 AM
Must admin these physically tired comments are strange, the season has only just started.

better then lacking sharpness lol.

Olivier's xmas twist
19-09-2012, 08:37 AM
T
Wtf has happened to Gervinho? Has his forehead finally got a brain?

Dude that is the Question, looks like he is starting to settle, which is good as we need him while Giroud is finding his head. least his goal take the pressure of lukaz tbh.

Terrible performance and a terrible game to watch but we won :dance:

As a great man once said, does not matter how you do it. a win is a win

LDG
19-09-2012, 09:41 AM

Hmmm. Some of them have played 4 times in 12 days. Not saying they can't cope with it, but games of such intensity as last night do take their toll, and second half showed that.

Good side they were. Mind you, most teams in the competition are reasonable, so a good result against the French Champs I would say.

milla
19-09-2012, 10:11 AM
Great away result though we could do with cutting down clumsy few clumsy moments (Vermaelan penalty, Diaby fell on his ass in our box, Mert tackle etc. Overall we did well, defensively we should be going up from here IMO. I am quietly optimistic with this team. :coffee:

Syn
19-09-2012, 10:18 AM
Thought we were the dodgiest we've looked at the back. I've looked at the replays and thought Alan Smith kept calling it wrong yesterday - I reckon Vermaelen got the ball. If he didn't, it was a penalty. But I really think he did. Mertesacker had a dodgy one. Our left side was getting caught out in the second half.

I'm not outraged by it but I can't understand not getting Kos in. He's the best CB we have and against Man City I'd want him instead of Mertesacker. He can't put him in now though because he hasn't played a game for ages. I guess he'll have to wait until the Carling Cup now.

God they were fucking annoying though, weren't they? Fucking falling over any time we got near them. Then Arteta started doing it too. Nice little dive by Podolski early on as well. Filthy game. The UEFA Champions League :bow:

Marc Overmars
19-09-2012, 10:20 AM
I thought Verm was unlucky to concede the penalty. It was a very good decision to award it as many officials wouldn't have spotted that. I don't even think Monty players appealed.

LDG
19-09-2012, 10:21 AM
Arteta was awlsome last night.

Kano
19-09-2012, 10:30 AM
Thought we were the dodgiest we've looked at the back. I've looked at the replays and thought Alan Smith kept calling it wrong yesterday - I reckon Vermaelen got the ball. If he didn't, it was a penalty. But I really think he did. Mertesacker had a dodgy one. Our left side was getting caught out in the second half.

I'm not outraged by it but I can't understand not getting Kos in. He's the best CB we have and against Man City I'd want him instead of Mertesacker. He can't put him in now though because he hasn't played a game for ages. I guess he'll have to wait until the Carling Cup now.

God they were fucking annoying though, weren't they? Fucking falling over any time we got near them. Then Arteta started doing it too. Nice little dive by Podolski early on as well. Filthy game. The UEFA Champions League :bow:

merts has to start and as verm has been given the armband, then so will he. kos is better than verm and should be starting with the big fucking german but looks like he'll have to wait for injuries etc - so shouldn't be long.

adams called it right last night, there was no need for verm to go to ground at all. actually it annoys me that verm starts ahead of kos the more i think about it. good player, committed and all that but too rash in his decision making.

Niall_Quinn
19-09-2012, 10:32 AM
merts has to start and as verm has been given the armband, then so will he. kos is better than verm and should be starting with the big fucking german but looks like he'll have to wait for injuries etc - so shouldn't be long.

adams called it right last night, there was no need for verm to go to ground at all. actually it annoys me that verm starts ahead of kos the more i think about it. good player, committed and all that but too rash in his decision making.

Our injury plague will take care of this soon enough. Djourou :bow:

Kano
19-09-2012, 10:34 AM
shit

Cripps_orig
19-09-2012, 10:41 AM

WUMming again?

It was a very good decision by the ref and Mertesacker was excellent.

Defence is fine. 2 goals we have conceded this season is through a Ches brainfart and a penalty

If it aint broke, dont fix it.

Power n Glory
19-09-2012, 11:06 AM
WUMming again?

Defence is fine. 2 goals we have conceded this season is through a Ches brainfart and a penalty

I like Merts and I think he brings a calmness to our defence. Kos and Vermalaen have a similar style of defending and like to dive into to tackles. Merts has to be a bit more measured because of his pace and size. It's a shame Verms is captain because it means he can't be dropped. Too much action man sometimes. We need someone that's calm and thinks about positioning and organising. I think Merts helps us to keep our shape.

It was also a penalty for sure. There was no need for Verms to dive in like that. We weren't as solid as we've been in the past but we didn't concede from open play and our last goal was from a keeper error as you've said. I agree we shouldn't change anything at the back against City.

LDG
19-09-2012, 11:10 AM
I like Merts and I think he brings a calmness to our defence. Kos and Vermalaen have a similar style of defending and like to dive into to tackles. Merts has to be a bit more measured because of his pace and size. It's a shame Verms is captain because it means he can't be dropped. Too much action man sometimes. We need someone that's calm and thinks about positioning and organising. I think Merts helps us to keep our shape.

It was also a penalty for sure. There was no need for Verms to dive in like that. We weren't as solid as we've been in the past but we didn't concede from open play and our last goal was from a keeper error as you've said. I agree we shouldn't change anything at the back against City.

I'd go with that.

Wasn't sure why Verms tried to make the challenge. All he needed to do was shepherd him toward the byline.

Bergkampwonderland10
19-09-2012, 11:32 AM
Wow - one dodgy tackle and Vermaelen getting it... 9 times out of 10 that would never be given as a pen - very soft if you ask me. He's been pretty outstanding for us thus far and much more disciplined in his CB role. The entire team faded in the second half yesterday (bar gervinho, arteta and podolski who always looked lively) and that pressurised the defence. Giroud had no service but kept plugging away and was always an outlet. Koscielny is a wonderful CB and has developed so well. He;s going to have to fight for his place though and that's only a good thing. There might be some tired legs out there...so it might not be surprising if there's a little bit of rotation from Wenger. Funny how Nasri pulled up yesterday...too much of a wuss to face us on sunday.

Olivier's xmas twist
19-09-2012, 11:33 AM

Spot on mate.

Olivier's xmas twist
19-09-2012, 11:41 AM
WUMming again?

Mertesacker haters :pal:

Ach:bow:

Niall_Quinn
19-09-2012, 11:44 AM
Shit penalty decision, Verm got the ball and he tackled from the side not behind. Crowd gave it. The assistant was weak.

Özim
19-09-2012, 11:51 AM
Shit penalty decision, Verm got the ball and he tackled from the side not behind. Crowd gave it. The assistant was weak.
You say that and yet Verms admitted he didn't get the ball in the post match interview.

Kinda blows your theory out of the water.

Power n Glory
19-09-2012, 11:54 AM
Wow - one dodgy tackle and Vermaelen getting it... 9 times out of 10 that would never be given as a pen - very soft if you ask me. He's been pretty outstanding for us thus far and much more disciplined in his CB role. The entire team faded in the second half yesterday (bar gervinho, arteta and podolski who always looked lively) and that pressurised the defence. Giroud had no service but kept plugging away and was always an outlet. Koscielny is a wonderful CB and has developed so well. He;s going to have to fight for his place though and that's only a good thing. There might be some tired legs out there...so it might not be surprising if there's a little bit of rotation from Wenger. Funny how Nasri pulled up yesterday...too much of a wuss to face us on sunday.

He's not getting it at all. If Merts would have made that mistake, you'd have seen a defender getting it. It's not as if Verms hasn't made mistakes before and his mistake backs up my point about him diving into tackles and being a bit too aggressive. It's okay to have that style of player but I always like a more reserved defender close by to cover or to hold up play. Merts provides that balance and taking him out of the picture means we have two similar types of defenders and I'm not a huge fan of that. We may lose a bit of our shape with both of playing but we shall see. We have three very good defenders in our squad but one is almost undroppable because he's captain. They should all have to duke it out.

Power n Glory
19-09-2012, 11:56 AM
Oh and it was a penalty. It wasn't a dodgy decision. He didn't get the ball.

Olivier's xmas twist
19-09-2012, 11:59 AM
Whether it was a pen or was not a pen we won thats all that matters :coffee:

Özim
19-09-2012, 12:01 PM
I think the point is some people always point to the officials when a decision goes against us, things went our way yesterday overall.

The penalty was a penalty, in the 2nd half Diaby should have received a 2nd yellow for two challenges, including the one for the challenge which was a definite 2nd penalty.

Montpellier could point to decision going against them, we can't.

Olivier's xmas twist
19-09-2012, 12:02 PM
I think the point is some people always point to the officials when a decision goes against us, things went our way yesterday overall.

The penalty was a penalty, in the 2nd half Diaby should have received a 2nd yellow for two challenges, including the one for the challenge which was a definite 2nd penalty.

Montpellier could point to decision going against them, we can't.

Yeah they could, but it won't change anything. Just like when we moan it don't change things.

She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
19-09-2012, 12:03 PM
Dont get the criticism Vem is getting either.

He and Mert are our best CB partnership and no Verm shouldnt have dived in like that last night but there have been other times where he has and come out with a brilliant challenge.

Plus hes the best captain we've had since Vieira tbh

this

we've finally got a great partnership and people want kos coming in.

rule number 1: never change the centre back's when its working

sometimes two centre backs may not be individually good but together they turn into a great pair. its much more than ability- its about understanding each other and complementing each other's style of play. mertesacker is calm and collected whilst verm is an aggressor. i think that works fine because both are experienced and read the game well.

kos will get his time. we're 4 games into a season ffs.

Olivier's xmas twist
19-09-2012, 12:06 PM
this

we've finally got a great partnership and people want kos coming in.

rule number 1: never change the centre back's when its working

sometimes two centre backs may not be individually good but together they turn into a great pair. its much more than ability- its about understanding each other and complementing each other's style of play. mertesacker is calm and collected whilst verm is an aggressor. i think that works fine because both are experienced and read the game well.

kos will get his time. we're 4 games into a season ffs.

I agree tbh, its good to have this soultion. If one gets injured then we know we have quality with Kos coming in. How did Maonne play yesterday?

Cripps_orig
19-09-2012, 12:08 PM
Funny how football works sometimes

First 18 months here, Kos was downright terrible but got plenty of game time cos Verm was injured, Mert wasnt here and Toto and Djourou are even worse

Now hes become decent, he cant get a game :lol:

Football :bow:

But he'll get game time for sure

Özim
19-09-2012, 12:08 PM
Yeah they could, but it won't change anything. Just like when we moan it don't change things.
I know, that wasn't my point.

It's just the opinion of some that almost every decision that goes against us is some sort of conspiracy theory by officials, when clearly it isn't.

She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
19-09-2012, 12:11 PM
I agree tbh, its good to have this soultion. If one gets injured then we know we have quality with Kos coming in. How did Maonne play yesterday?

good. although their striker was piss poor.

must drop chezza against city and play him. we have no other option tbf.

Olivier's xmas twist
19-09-2012, 12:17 PM
Funny how football works sometimes

First 18 months here, Kos was downright terrible but got plenty of game time cos Verm was injured, Mert wasnt here and Toto and Djourou are even worse

Now hes become decent, he cant get a game :lol:

Football :bow:

But he'll get game time for sure

:gp: But still Tennis > Football tbh.

It's just the opinion of some that almost every decision that goes against us is some sort of conspiracy theory by officials, when clearly it isn't.

Oh i was not disagreeing with you at all.

good. although their striker was piss poor.

must drop chezza against city and play him. we have no other option tbf.

Might as well give the Italian a run, we got nothing to loose tbh and if it makes the young pole brush up his game all the better for us.

Niall_Quinn
19-09-2012, 12:40 PM
You say that and yet Verms admitted he didn't get the ball in the post match interview.

Kinda blows your theory out of the water.

Possibly, but you can only go with the slow motion replay in the end. Course he got the ball, he got the man too but pens are never given for that - else we would have won the title last year.

Kano
19-09-2012, 12:40 PM
Wow - one dodgy tackle and Vermaelen getting it...

more to do with the mistakes he has continued to make.

he isn't 'getting it', just that many think his goals cover up his defensive abilities. kos is a better defender and should be ahead of him. but verm is captain so won't be dropped.

Niall_Quinn
19-09-2012, 12:41 PM

Conspiracy theory? That's required for the ref to fuck it up is it? Anyway, the ref got it right. The assistant fucked up.

AKBapologist
19-09-2012, 12:42 PM

he isn't 'getting it', just that many think his goals cover up his defensive abilities. kos is a better defender and should be ahead of him. but verm is captain so won't be dropped.
He's also left footed...
:coffee:

Japan Shaking All Over
19-09-2012, 01:30 PM
Just saw a picture of the back,of Gibb's shirt, whats with the new font?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/19644456

Syn
19-09-2012, 01:52 PM
Gervinho just doesn't look healthy in that.

Speaking of which - along with Diaby - Gerv has surprised me so far this season. Still think he's a ball-less coward who couldn't take a penalty in a pressure situation to save his mother's life but that spidery causing havoc shit he does is awesome. Squad looks in so much better shape now that players like Diaby, Gibbs, Ramsey and Gervinho look decent.

Shaqiri Is Boss
19-09-2012, 01:59 PM

Most clubs have their own font for the CL and Europa League. I think UEFA tried to have a mandatory standardised font but gave it up after about a year so everyone just uses what they want.

LDG
19-09-2012, 02:04 PM
Most clubs have their own font for the CL and Europa League. I think UEFA tried to have a mandatory standardised font but gave it up after about a year so everyone just uses what they want.

It could catch on

Shaqiri Is Boss
19-09-2012, 02:07 PM
It could catch on

I hope not.

Tony Pulis is 54.

Kano
19-09-2012, 02:14 PM

like it. reminds me of some of the old jvc fonts we had on our early 80s kits.

GP
19-09-2012, 02:14 PM
It could catch on

http://static4.fjcdn.com/comments/COMIC+SAAAAANS+_d446b16e7764f431734cc0ef7503a86d.j pg

Static
19-09-2012, 02:15 PM
Maybe we should use a font that's impossible to read so when the ref wants to book us he can't :dance:

LDG
19-09-2012, 02:19 PM
I hope not.

Tony Pulis is 54.

:haha:

Bergkampwonderland10
19-09-2012, 05:42 PM
I was referring to this season. He hasn't scored any goals to cover anything up...he's been pretty solid each game bar one dodgy tackle that was harshly punished and one mix-up between him and merts. Other than that...he seems to be getting it in the neck for his AWAL moments last season. Haven't seen any of the same mistakes that you make out he's done.

Bergkampwonderland10
19-09-2012, 05:44 PM
He;s also got the experience of a captain after captaining Ajax...something that we need this season. Not sure Kos or Mert offer that. Only other player is Arteta and possibly Poldi but early Arsenal days for him.

And which player always looks the most pissed off when Arsenal concede...look at Verms reaction when Szez messed up ...he was livid...he hates conceding and I think he's looked the bees this season...yes early days but there has been a notable improvement and he should definitely get credit for that, not slammed on his last season's faults.

Power n Glory
19-09-2012, 06:06 PM
Has the criticism been that bad? Have I missed something?

Olivier's xmas twist
19-09-2012, 10:53 PM
This.

Bergkampwonderland10
20-09-2012, 08:15 AM
Well when there are people calling for him to be dropped and replaced by Kos, yeah I'd say that's pretty harsh criticism - and totally out of whack with the performances he's given so far this season.

Kano
20-09-2012, 08:50 AM
I was referring to this season. He hasn't scored any goals to cover anything up...he's been pretty solid each game bar one dodgy tackle that was harshly punished and one mix-up between him and merts. Other than that...he seems to be getting it in the neck for his AWAL moments last season. Haven't seen any of the same mistakes that you make out he's done.

i'm going on a whole season which is a far better indicator than a few games.

comparing kos to verm on that basis, then kos should be starting ahead of him.

SayNoMore
20-09-2012, 12:08 PM

I agree but having this problem is lovely. There have been times where we are struggling for one decent CB, having three is a lovely dilemma.

Kano
20-09-2012, 12:53 PM
I agree but having this problem is lovely. There have been times where we are struggling for one decent CB, having three is a lovely dilemma.

very true. without doubt verm is a good defender - it's just that kos is better.

SayNoMore
20-09-2012, 12:59 PM
very true. without doubt verm is a good defender - it's just that kos is better.

:gp:

Olivier's xmas twist
20-09-2012, 01:26 PM
Well when there are people calling for him to be dropped and replaced by Kos, yeah I'd say that's pretty harsh criticism - and totally out of whack with the performances he's given so far this season.

Bit silly as he is our captain and it would look daft dropping him.

Bergkampwonderland10
20-09-2012, 06:14 PM

Then you should account for his first season with us as well....and compare that to Koscielny's first season which was pretty poor. Overall and based on this season, there is no need to disrupt the Vermaelen Mert partnership that was all I was saying. No need to call for Vermaelen to be dropped on the way he's played so far this season. Kos is an equally good defender now granted, but if it ain't broke don't fix it. It will be a big test this Sunday.

Kano
21-09-2012, 12:38 PM
that doesn't make any sense. you judge someone on their most recent long stretch of form - which would mean a season - going back further really has no relevance.

as i said before, i am not saying drop him for giving away a penalty. during the off season i said i wanted a kos-merts partnership and my thoughts on that have not changed.

verm is a good defender. but kos is better.

bignev
21-09-2012, 01:24 PM
as i said before, i am not saying drop him for giving away a penalty. during the off season i said i wanted a kos-merts partnership and my thoughts on that have not changed.

verm is a good defender. but kos is better.

So you are saying drop him :lol: