PDA

View Full Version : January Transfers -- Speculation & Shit?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

gooners
22-09-2012, 04:40 PM
:run:

Liverpool are on alert after Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger indicated he could sell winger Theo Walcott, 23, in January.

Full story: Daily Mirror

McNamara That Ghost...
22-09-2012, 06:23 PM
:lol:

Really Theo is going to have to decide soon exactly what he wants. He can't ride this period out until January if it is going to affect his England place (any more than it already has).

Xhaka Can’t
22-09-2012, 07:14 PM
I think he has decided that he wants to cash in big - either via a stupid contract with us or a signing on fee elsewhere. There is nothing wrong with that - he is entitled to do so, just as Wenger is entitled to freeze him out if he is not going to be part of the long term future of the Club.

Dennis Bendtner
22-09-2012, 07:19 PM
He can be a good supersub until January.

Master Splinter
22-09-2012, 07:22 PM
When does FL Week start again?

Keith
22-09-2012, 07:29 PM
He will go to city, another English guy to keep them within the rules

Cripps_orig
22-09-2012, 11:52 PM
Tottenham and Liverpool are leading the chase for Malaga striker Isco, but Arsenal, Man United and Juventus are also tracking the 20-year-old.
Full story: Sunday Mirror

Arsenal have joined Manchester City and Chelsea in the race to sign Athletic Bilbao striker Fernando Llorente, 27, after the Spaniard stalled over agreeing a new deal.
Full story: Metro

Isco has looked impressive

FL week to start soon...........again?

dazthegooner
23-09-2012, 01:17 PM
Tbh with Walcott get rid. Not a bad player but will never be great.

Olivier's xmas twist
23-09-2012, 01:34 PM
Isco has looked impressive

FL week to start soon...........again?

FL week ?

Master Splinter
23-09-2012, 01:48 PM
FL week ?

Feliciano Lopez Week :bow:.

Cripps_orig
24-09-2012, 11:27 PM
Arsenal right-back Bacary Sagna, 29, is a target for Inter Milan if contract talks with the Gunners do not go well between now and next summer.
Full story: Daily Mirror

bye

Olivier's xmas twist
25-09-2012, 12:32 PM
bye

:gp:

McNamara That Ghost...
25-09-2012, 12:49 PM

How many times have our players been linked to Inter and Milan now? It must be nudging 3098437273840200399383 and a half.

Olivier's xmas twist
25-09-2012, 12:54 PM

How many times have our players been linked to Inter and Milan now? It must be nudging 3098437273840200399383 and a half.

Tbf Inter has been poor this season and need all the quality they can get.

McNamara That Ghost...
25-09-2012, 12:57 PM
Indeed, it won't happen.

Master Splinter
25-09-2012, 01:35 PM
Villa legend The Hammer training at Everton:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/19716088

Good replacement for Gibson while he's injured.

Cripps_orig
25-09-2012, 04:24 PM
Manchester United, Manchester City, Liverpool and Arsenal could be set to fight it out for Russia captain Igor Denisov after he was slung into Zenit St Petersburg's youth team.
The midfielder had criticised his club after the signings of Hulk and Axel Witsel for a combined fee of £72m earlier this month, claiming their salaries - said to be three times their team-mates - were not justified.
And Zenit have reacted by ordering him to play for their youth team, alongside team-mate Alexander Kerzhakov, who seconded the protest.
Denisov told Russian newspaper Sport-Express: "I could understand it if we signed Messi or Iniesta, who are worth any price. Yes, we bought good players who clearly will help Zenit. But they are so much better than others to earn a salary three times better?"
And the club have reacted angrily, with the English giants thought to be keen on exploring the situation in January if Denisov has not repaired his relationship with the club.

Read more at http://www.talksport.co.uk/sports-news/football/premier-league/transfer-rumours/120925/premier-league-sides-red-alert-denisov-dumped-zenit-squad-18#7mFcvb1TStH4T5UE.99

Any good?

Olivier's xmas twist
25-09-2012, 04:39 PM
Dunno, but 1 moody Russian is enough thanks.

Master Splinter
25-09-2012, 08:57 PM
Denisov was probably Russia's best player at Euros.

Xavi-lite.

Cripps_orig
25-09-2012, 08:59 PM

Xavi-lite.

Xavi lite?

So he passes sideways less than Xavi?

Kano
25-09-2012, 09:00 PM
didn't last long really

http://en.ria.ru/sports/20120925/176224173.html

Olivier's xmas twist
25-09-2012, 09:08 PM

Xavi-lite.

I thought Arshavin was tbh, followed by Dzagoev

Cripps_orig
25-09-2012, 09:09 PM
I thought Arshavin was tbh, followed by Dzagoev

Arshavin was

Dzagoev got the goals

Dont even know who Denisov was

Cripps_orig
26-09-2012, 11:35 PM
The agent of AGF Aarhus forward Aron Johannsson has insisted Arsenal have not been in touch regarding a possible move for the 21-year-old Icelandic striker.
Full story: Sky Sports

Arsenal winger Theo Walcott, 23, says he misses playing alongside Robin van Persie following the Dutch striker's summer transfer to Manchester United.

Former Arsenal midfielder Alex Song said the club's failure to win trophies was behind the 25-year-old Cameroon international's decision to join Barcelona.
Full story: Evening Standard

Theos better

Understandable, they were good friends but RVC turned in to a ****

Song was a major reason why we didnt win anything so he should stfu and gtfo

Japan Shaking All Over
27-09-2012, 12:20 AM
Of course Theo is better than someone we've never heard of. . .

With regards to missing lover boy, Theo needs to move on (some would argue in more ways than one :ninja: )

Song sounds like he is reading from a oft read script, needs to come up with something more original or STFU

Niall_Quinn
27-09-2012, 02:47 PM
Theos better

The 0 should grow a set and buy a house in Manchester.

Song can just fuck off really. What a whining bitch.

She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
29-09-2012, 11:20 PM
desperately need a good january window to kick on and cement some sort of trophy.

highly unlikely though.

Olivier's xmas twist
30-09-2012, 10:03 AM
Theos better

:bow: Cripps your the best mate, your posts crack me up.

Cripps_orig
01-10-2012, 03:17 PM
ARSENAL are on the trail of Guingamp midfielder Gianelli Imbula, 20.

The Congo-born ace has won rave reviews in France and Gunners boss Arsene Wenger has had him watched several times this season.

Read more: http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/4563671/Gianelli-Imbula-transfer-Arsenal-eye-Guingamp-ace.html#ixzz283pm5voM

French Africans :bow:

Cripps_orig
01-10-2012, 03:18 PM
:bow: Cripps your the best mate, your posts crack me up.

Um ok

I didnt even say anything in that post that was intended to be funny

Olivier's xmas twist
01-10-2012, 03:52 PM
Um ok

I didnt even say anything in that post that was intended to be funny

If someone gives you a compliment STFU and take it, cause you never know when you'll get one again :coffee:

Cripps_orig
01-10-2012, 03:57 PM
If someone gives you a compliment STFU and take it, cause you never know when you'll get one again :coffee:

H2O
01-10-2012, 05:58 PM
I have not seen this anywhere, but what about placing a bid for Darren Bent.

Cripps_orig
01-10-2012, 06:06 PM
I have not seen this anywhere, but what about placing a bid for Darren Bent.
Id rather have Harrys wife

Well not really but is Bent as good as he used to be?

Should have got him from Sunderland tbh

Kano
01-10-2012, 09:26 PM
i think bent would make a decent squad striker for sure. injury and a shocking team dulled his talents last season. two in his last two prem games and would chip in with 15 prem goals for someone like us.

Olivier's xmas twist
01-10-2012, 09:33 PM
rather get Ba then Bent tbh.

Cripps_orig
01-10-2012, 09:35 PM
Cheaper, better celebrations and scores more

Ba :bow:

Marc Overmars
01-10-2012, 09:38 PM
Ba is the one, cheap and effective. ACON is a pain in the arse but I'd rather have him from late February onwards than not at all.

Bit of a Football Manager signing though so it won't happen.

Cripps_orig
01-10-2012, 09:39 PM
Ba is the one, cheap and effective. ACON is a pain in the arse but I'd rather have him from late February onwards than not at all.

Bit of a Football Manager signing though so it won't happen.£7m is his release clause

Hes worth twice that or if we are going by Carroll rating, hes worth 3928420394832094832098 times that

gunnerrrrr
01-10-2012, 09:39 PM
anyone but another tall striker from the French league....go to Spain instead

gunnerrrrr
01-10-2012, 09:40 PM
£7m is his release clause

Hes worth twice that or if we are going by Carroll rating, hes worth 3928420394832094832098 times that
by the Carroll rating any player is worth at least £20m

Cripps_orig
01-10-2012, 09:49 PM
Watch him score a hat trick on saturday now

Speaking of Spanish strikers, Llorente apparently had a bust up with Bielsa :popcorn:

FL week could be happening

H2O
01-10-2012, 10:21 PM
Ba is the cheaper option plus it would take 20 to get Bent instead of the 7 for Ba. Also, Bent is not really a Wenger style purchase. Although, Bent is an Arsenal supporter, but i don't think that makes much difference to Wengs.

Ollie the Optimist
01-10-2012, 10:28 PM
Ba is the cheaper option plus it would take 20 to get Bent instead of the 7 for Ba. Also, Bent is not really a Wenger style purchase. Although, Bent is an Arsenal supporter, but i don't think that makes much difference to Wengs.

bent? behave.

if we sign anyone, i think it will be a midfielder to cover jack/diaby or both due to injuries. otherwise some kid will turn up

Kano
01-10-2012, 11:00 PM

Bit of a Football Manager signing though so it won't happen.

i'd prefer ba but bent is a safer bet. you just know ba would come, his knee would pop - especially with our medical team - and it's game over.

that said i can't see either of them ever coming here.

Olivier's xmas twist
01-10-2012, 11:01 PM
i'd prefer ba but bent is a safer bet. you just know ba would come, his knee would pop - especially with our medical team - and it's game over.

that said i can't see either of them ever coming here.

Yeah, but Bent is hardly fit as a fiddle either, his injury record is not great either.

Kano
01-10-2012, 11:05 PM
isn't it? i thought it was only last couple of years he had a problem at the end. he's always been a consistent appearer and scorer i thought.

Japan Shaking All Over
02-10-2012, 12:34 AM
Decent argument. . .personally I like both players, both can score goals, Bent more around the six yard box, Ba from almost anywhere. . .the question is who can play the tippy tappy stuff?

My money would be on Ba to be better suited to the fluid front line we are playing, may be an idea to activate the guys release clause. . .for that amount of money its not like we are breaking the bank. . .although missing seems like something we do well. , .how much did Dempsey go for? :doh:

Olivier's xmas twist
06-10-2012, 11:06 PM
Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger, 62, has been told he has at least £35m to spend in the January transfer window and could try to sign deadly Atletico Madrid striker Falcao, 26.
Full story: Sunday Mirror (http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/arsenal-boss-arsene-wenger-told-1364685)

:pray:

Cripps_orig
06-10-2012, 11:08 PM
Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger, 62, has been told he has at least £35m to spend in the January transfer window and could try to sign deadly Atletico Madrid striker Falcao, 26.
Full story: Sunday Mirror

If this happens, Wenger will become an all time legend at the club

Olivier's xmas twist
06-10-2012, 11:09 PM
If this happens, Wenger will become an all time legend at the club

Arsene Wenger is 62 :coffee:

Cripps_orig
06-10-2012, 11:09 PM

ok...:blink:

Olivier's xmas twist
06-10-2012, 11:13 PM
ok...:blink:

Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger, 62, has been told he has at least £35m to spend in the January

Was meant to be like Tony Pulis is 53 thing.

Cripps_orig
06-10-2012, 11:14 PM
Was meant to be like Tony Pulis is 53 thing.

Yeah i didnt get that Pulis thing either. It was never funny

GP
06-10-2012, 11:46 PM

:haha:

V-Pig
07-10-2012, 03:59 AM
GW summed up in a page :lol:

Olivier's xmas twist
07-10-2012, 08:55 AM
Arsene Wenger has been assured that he will have £35million-plus to invest in new players *during the January *transfer window.

The Arsenal manager will be able to use the profits announced by the club last week.

“If Arsene wants to use that money during the winter window then, *absolutely, he will be able to do it,” said chairman Peter Hill-Wood.

“We rely on him to come up with the right people and there will be funds available to him.”

That will *reassure both Wenger and the fans as *Arsenal go in search of their first *trophy in seven years.

Their start in the *Champions League, after the 3-1 home win over Olympiakos, has reaped a maximum six points. The new-look team have also had an encouraging start to the Premier League and are through to the next round of the Capital One Cup.

“We have been very pleased with the start,” said Hill-Wood. “But if the manager wants to *reinforce the squad in January, he will be able to do that. “The financial results were good and we want to put that money to use if Arsene decides he wants more players.

“I like to think that the profit shows we are *running the club on the right lines.

“We are not able, for *instance, to be able to *afford to write off £180m. That is not how we work.”

Along with a number of other clubs like Chelsea and Paris St *Germain, the Arsenal boss is a huge admirer of Falcao, the Atletico Madrid striker.

The prolific Colombia international destroyed Chelsea with a hat-trick in the UEFA Super Cup in August.

His buy-out clause is about £50m – but that could drop because of the country’s financial *crisis.

If Atletico come down to the £40m, then Wenger could be *interested.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/arsenal-boss-arsene-wenger-told-1364685

So no one needs to say we had no money come end of Jan, unless Hillwood is just saying what the fans want to hear.

Joker
07-10-2012, 10:00 AM
“We are not able, for *instance, to be able to *afford to write off £180m. That is not how we work.”

No one's ever asked us to spend £180M

Harland
07-10-2012, 10:28 AM
Falcao would be surreal but surely we need to buy a midfielder first to cover for Diaby? We need a replacement for the replacement of Song

LDG
07-10-2012, 10:47 AM

Özim
07-10-2012, 11:34 AM
Falcoa will never happen in a month of Sundays, Wenger will tell you we have enough forwards, we have Podolski, Giroud, Walcott and Arshavin and Cazorla can also play there.

Wenger won't spend anything in the transfer window either, not unless we're struggling to get 4th. It's like a lottery winner who wins 35 million but decides to keep the same tiny house and small car they've always had and to live the same lifestyle.

Power n Glory
07-10-2012, 11:46 AM
The same thing was said last season, the season before that and the season before that. He's not going to spend in January!

AKBapologist
07-10-2012, 03:13 PM
If Chamakh fucks off in Jan, then he will buy someone, but Falcao? :lol:

Kano
07-10-2012, 03:42 PM
llorente would be great and available but as said, those sort of transfers are not gonna happen

Olivier's xmas twist
07-10-2012, 03:59 PM
Falcoa will never happen in a month of Sundays, Wenger will tell you we have enough forwards, we have Podolski, Giroud, Walcott and Arshavin and Cazorla can also play there.

Wenger won't spend anything in the transfer window either, not unless we're struggling to get 4th. It's like a lottery winner who wins 35 million but decides to keep the same tiny house and small car they've always had and to live the same lifestyle.

He'll spend, but not sure how much, best we'll get is a Ba if were lucky.

It's like a lottery winner who wins 35 million but decides to keep the same tiny house and small car they've always had and to live the same lifestyle.

Whats wrong with that. So becaue you win the Lottery you must splash out loads. If your happy the way you are so be it. Its your money you can do what you like with it.

The clubs money is not Arsen's money so its 2 diffrent things.

Özim
07-10-2012, 05:45 PM
He'll spend, but not sure how much, best we'll get is a Ba if were lucky.

Whats wrong with that. So becaue you win the Lottery you must splash out loads. If your happy the way you are so be it. Its your money you can do what you like with it.

The clubs money is not Arsen's money so its 2 diffrent things.
I doubt very much he'll spend, it's even more unlikely that if he does it'll be on a striker considering the fact he bought two in the summer.

Re lottery, what's the point in winning the lottery if you're not going to spend any of the money on improving your lifestyle, buy a house, buy a nice car, go on nice holidays.

I'm not saying you should blow it all but at least better your life with it, it may as well go to someone who appreciates it otherwise or better still to charity.

Olivier's xmas twist
07-10-2012, 05:57 PM
Re lottery, what's the point in winning the lottery if you're not going to spend any of the money on improving your lifestyle, buy a house, buy a nice car, go on nice holidays.

I'm not saying you should blow it all but at least better your life with it, it may as well go to someone who appreciates it otherwise or better still to charity.

Yeah you should spend it, but i don't see why you need to spend most of it of the sake of having hice things. Spending £35 mill on footy player these days is nothing because its the done thing these days.

If you win the lottery and feel you need to spend it to have a better life then so be it.

Japan Shaking All Over
09-10-2012, 09:58 AM
No matter how good Falcao is. . .Wenger is not going to spunk the whole lot on one player.

He has shown us how he intends to do things. . .and one player worth 35 million is not it, he is happy to let the likes of Citeh do their business that way.

To be honest, even though I was not happy with the way the summer finished, I cant help having some respect for the old prof. . .

Santi and Pods have been great so far, Giroud less so but I have a feeling he will come good. At the start his body language seemed wrong but that seems to have changed and he was very involved/animated against Wham.

Merts seems to have settled, looks good. . .as does Ghelkinson (Sagna may walk back into the team but we know we have a capable/committed back up)

For me Arteta is the type of player we need and I dont suppoet the criticism he gets from some.

For me Santos is the one gaff Wenger made and I am not his greatest fan.

I think Wenger has put together a strong squad one that can hold its own more than the squads of Cesc and Nas but because we dont have the game changer (arguably we do in Santi) tge order of the day is teamwork and tons of passion. If we go into a match lacking one of those then we are there for the taking which means we cant let our guard down any week, against the top teams or the lower teams.

Wenger may buy in January but I can see him selling first and bringing in a squad player. . .injuries could kill us if he doesnt and we still have a few months to go, already Diaby has proven his bidy cannot be reliexld on but I bet Wenger is chomping at the bit to let Jack off his lease. . .

Globalgunner
09-10-2012, 10:06 AM
Wenger is the highest paid employee at the club. If he buys a Falcao or Cavani, then he would have to play 2nd fiddle. We are a joke, even at Real madrid, Mourinho doesnt get paid more than Casillas CR7 or Kaka.

SayNoMore
09-10-2012, 10:14 AM
Wenger wont buy in January guys. Clutching straws and Wenger going for one of the best in the world with Falcao is dreaming :lol:

Xhaka Can’t
09-10-2012, 10:16 AM
Wenger is the highest paid employee at the club. If he buys a Falcao or Cavani, then he would have to play 2nd fiddle. We are a joke

Nope.

Sent from my HTC One S using Tapatalk 2

Power n Glory
09-10-2012, 10:18 AM
We will lose Gervinho and Chamakh in January for the AFCON. Wenger will probably bring a player in on loan or give someone like Gnarby a shot in the frist team.

Syn
09-10-2012, 10:23 AM
Don't think we'll get anyone unless we are within a couple of points of top place or if we are in a fight for 4th. Neither seem likely at the moment - I suspect we'll find our comfort zone between those scenarios.

Power n Glory
09-10-2012, 10:33 AM
I'm not so certain about a top 4 finish anymore. We should get it, but I don't think it's going to be that easy. It's early days but Everton and Spurs might be up for the chase this year and Chelsea look like title contenders. More competition for the top spot compared to last year.

Marc Overmars
09-10-2012, 10:34 AM
Top 4 is not something we should take for granted anymore but I still think we're the "best of the rest".

Power n Glory
09-10-2012, 10:41 AM
Yeah, we look decent and have had some hard games. But we should win our next 3 league games against Norwich, QPR and Reading. That should push us into the top 4.

McNamara That Ghost...
09-10-2012, 10:43 AM
Reading is the League Cup. We have Man Utd away after QPR.

Power n Glory
09-10-2012, 10:47 AM
Shit! That's a massive game. Then Spurs after Fulham.

Xhaka Can’t
09-10-2012, 10:48 AM
With Chelsea strengthening and Everton not having their characteristic relegation pace start to the season, top 4 will be a tougher proposition this season. I do think it is us that are most likely to be best of rest, but it is heavily reliant on how we recover from adverse results.

So far so good imo as I don't think away at Wham would have been top of the wishlist following our result against Chelsea.

Kano
09-10-2012, 10:52 AM
best of the rest with pretty passing but not enough firepower over the course of the season. predicting fifth for the first time. hope i'm wrong.

Power n Glory
09-10-2012, 10:54 AM
With Chelsea strengthening and Everton not having their characteristic relegation pace start to the season, top 4 will be a tougher proposition this season. I do think it is us that are most likely to be best of rest, but it is heavily reliant on how we recover from adverse results.

So far so good imo as I don't think away at Wham would have been top of the wishlist following our result against Chelsea.

Not an easy game and it could have easily been a draw if Wenger had kept Theo on the bench.

Boss
09-10-2012, 11:50 AM
Wenger is the highest paid employee at the club. If he buys a Falcao or Cavani, then he would have to play 2nd fiddle. We are a joke, even at Real madrid, Mourinho doesnt get paid more than Casillas CR7 or Kaka.

IIRC Mourinho has a clause in his contract that states he has to be paid at least equal to the highest paid player at a club.

Olivier's xmas twist
09-10-2012, 12:33 PM
Top 4 is not something we should take for granted anymore but I still think we're the "best of the rest".

Olivier's xmas twist
09-10-2012, 12:35 PM

Not really no.

Van persie gets more then Fergie, does that mean Fegie plays 2nd fiddle too?

Globalgunner
09-10-2012, 04:37 PM
Not really no.

You dont really get the drift of my argument do you?

Olivier's xmas twist
09-10-2012, 04:41 PM
You dont really get the drift of my argument do you?

Id assume your saying, wenger would not be happy getting less wages then a falcao, who would probs require big wages.

Globalgunner
09-10-2012, 05:07 PM
Fergie realises that the players bring more value to the club than the manager. His ego does not require parity or even close to parity in wages, if he wanted to be paid even 20m a year do you think Manu would even blink about it. No. Moreover both SAF and the players know where the power balance truly lies. Mourinho has an ego that this planet can barely contain so its no suprise that he has it in his contract that it must be satisfied.

In Arsenals case Wenger is the highest paid because apparently in the clubs opinion he is the most valuable employee delivering profit year on year. The only other enterprise that practises this is a business corporation with its CEO. Hence my contention that we are a joke of a club.

Olivier's xmas twist
09-10-2012, 05:59 PM
Hence my contention that we are a joke of a club.

No we are not a joke club, the way we are run might be though.

Xhaka Can’t
09-10-2012, 06:01 PM
No wee not a joke club, they way we are rub might be a joke though.

:wacko:

Olivier's xmas twist
09-10-2012, 06:14 PM

So's your head.

GP
09-10-2012, 06:47 PM

Fist of Lehmann
10-10-2012, 01:06 PM
Fergie realises that the players bring more value to the club than the manager.

It's an interesting question. Fergie may realise that the players bring more value to the club than the manager, but what about 1 player?

For instance, what would impact Man Utd more, losing Rooney or losing Ferguson?

Globalgunner
10-10-2012, 05:39 PM
It is not a question that Fergie himself struggles with but his decisions have been based on what he thinks is in the best interests of the club. He kept Rooney when losing him would have left the club with no marquee player but he dumped RVN, Beckham et al when he felt they were no longer indispensible. I think he would have loved to keep Ronnie but sometimes the players desires trump all rationale. However there is no doubt that over 26 years Fergie is united and united is fergie. Fergie himself does not obssess himself with this realisation. At Arsenal however our model is not based on ultimate achievement on the pitch but with sustainable achievement in the accounts department. It is a cop out however as evidence show s that our board love themselves more than they love the club. wenger too thinks he is worth 140k p/w but the best player at the club was offered just 130k

Olivier's xmas twist
10-10-2012, 06:25 PM
wenger too thinks he is worth 140k p/w but the best player at the club was offered just 130k

When has Wenger ever said he was worth that? He has not once said that, Of course if that is what he is getting paid he is not going to moan is he.

hobson's choice
10-10-2012, 10:20 PM
Not really no.

I find this interesting, cause over here(US),no Head Coach/Manager makes more than most of the players. Only really a few big names make really big salaries. Most squad players make more than coaches.

McNamara That Ghost...
10-10-2012, 10:26 PM
It is not a question that Fergie himself struggles with but his decisions have been based on what he thinks is in the best interests of the club. He kept Rooney when losing him would have left the club with no marquee player but he dumped RVN, Beckham et al when he felt they were no longer indispensible. I think he would have loved to keep Ronnie but sometimes the players desires trump all rationale. However there is no doubt that over 26 years Fergie is united and united is fergie. Fergie himself does not obssess himself with this realisation. At Arsenal however our model is not based on ultimate achievement on the pitch but with sustainable achievement in the accounts department. It is a cop out however as evidence show s that our board love themselves more than they love the club. wenger too thinks he is worth 140k p/w but the best player at the club was offered just 130k

He probably is worth that (from board perspective) given he can deliver the same level no matter who is sold. The board are unlikely to get anybody else like that ever again - deliver on that level through player sales (many of them) and to still do it at a profitable club.

Globalgunner
11-10-2012, 09:26 AM
He probably is worth that (from board perspective) given he can deliver the same level no matter who is sold. The board are unlikely to get anybody else like that ever again - deliver on that level through player sales (many of them) and to still do it at a profitable club.

This is the rump of the argument and what gets the goat of many watching the goings on at this club. What is the definition of success, perpetual stagnation in 3/4th place w/o winning anything of note. Gazidis getting bonuses while players slip through his fingers each transfer window. Managers should not get paid more than players because players are in a small earnings window with no fall back position if they are injured. Should the coach at Miami heat get paid more than Lebron james?. Who are the fans coming to see, the coach or the players. If Wenger who continuously preaches restraint in spending doesnt think he is worth 140k pw, then why accept such a ludicrous salary. this is a man getting to 65 yrs with 1 child. what the hell is he saving the money for?. Footballers have to earn to keep themselves for 40 yrs after they retire but why Wenger,. Letters says he loves the club because he waves his hands a lot during games but he wont halve his own salary so that RVP can be paid 200k pw so who does he love. He is a second level manager being paid like a top level achiever. PHW says its nice to pocket a few millions but we miss out on Gary Cahill becuse wenger wont pay more than 6m, when 8m would have done the trick. The whole arsenal mangement setup is a scam and Wenger is central to it, the serial loser.

bignev
11-10-2012, 09:39 AM
He is a second level manager being paid like a top level achiever. PHW says its nice to pocket a few millions but we miss out on Gary Cahill becuse wenger wont pay more than 6m, when 8m would have done the trick. The whole arsenal mangement setup is a scam and Wenger is central to it, the serial loser.

I don't think it's fair to say he is a second level manager. Yes he has his faults and we can all see them. However considering that every summer his best players get sold and he still manages to keep us in the top four positions is remarkable. There aren't many managers who could do it.

Also I don't think mentioning Gary Cahill helps your argument. We offered what he is worth and it wasn't accepted. Chelsea offered over his value and got him. If you want an example of a player we should have spent that little extra on you would have been better off mentioning Xabi Alonso. Apparently we were 2m off signing him from Liverpool.

Globalgunner
11-10-2012, 09:45 AM
I don't think it's fair to say he is a second level manager. Yes he has his faults and we can all see them. However considering that every summer his best players get sold and he still manages to keep us in the top four positions is remarkable. There aren't many managers who could do it.

Also I don't think mentioning Gary Cahill helps your argument. We offered what he is worth and it wasn't accepted. Chelsea offered over his value and got him. If you want an example of a player we should have spent that little extra on you would have been better off mentioning Xabi Alonso. Apparently we were 2m off signing him from Liverpool.

A players worth is not sole ly determined by his contract status but by what he is worth to the team willing to buy him. take Cahill and Kosielny. Which of these two would you rather have and which did Arsenal pay more for?

Marc Overmars
11-10-2012, 09:54 AM
take Cahill and Kosielny. Which of these two would you rather have and which did Arsenal pay more for?

I think 99% of people on here would rather have Koscielny.

Globalgunner
11-10-2012, 10:00 AM
I think 99% of people on here would rather have Koscielny.

Somehow I doubt that. Maybe 99% of people are full of hubris

Japan Shaking All Over
11-10-2012, 10:03 AM
Cripps = 1% of GW :faint:

McNamara That Ghost...
11-10-2012, 10:03 AM
This is the rump of the argument and what gets the goat of many watching the goings on at this club. What is the definition of success, perpetual stagnation in 3/4th place w/o winning anything of note. Gazidis getting bonuses while players slip through his fingers each transfer window. Managers should not get paid more than players because players are in a small earnings window with no fall back position if they are injured. Should the coach at Miami heat get paid more than Lebron james?. Who are the fans coming to see, the coach or the players. If Wenger who continuously preaches restraint in spending doesnt think he is worth 140k pw, then why accept such a ludicrous salary. this is a man getting to 65 yrs with 1 child. what the hell is he saving the money for?. Footballers have to earn to keep themselves for 40 yrs after they retire but why Wenger,. Letters says he loves the club because he waves his hands a lot during games but he wont halve his own salary so that RVP can be paid 200k pw so who does he love. He is a second level manager being paid like a top level achiever. PHW says its nice to pocket a few millions but we miss out on Gary Cahill becuse wenger wont pay more than 6m, when 8m would have done the trick. The whole arsenal mangement setup is a scam and Wenger is central to it, the serial loser.

I don't think Wenger is outrightly against money per se in football, it's only money that clubs don't actually have to spend that annoys him. Giving players that much (in your instance RVP 200k a week) comes with the stigma of needing to give all the other players something similar to that or at least be commensurate with that figure. Giving RVP 200k a week wouldn't be the end of it, other players would be 'justified' in say 'only' asking for 120k a week - it's a long way off what RVP would be earning but also a great advance on what they currently get. You could say something similar about Wenger's underlings and the coaches but Wenger has earnt the right to have a wage such as that for being at the club for so long along with the fact he is the only manager, RVP is not the only player.

Marc Overmars
11-10-2012, 10:05 AM
Somehow I doubt that. Maybe 99% of people are full of hubris

Cahill is a good player but so is Koscielny and there isn't enough distinction in quality between the 2 to say I'd rather have one over the other. I'm happy with who we got and I'd wager most Arsenal fans feel the same, that doesn't equate to hubris.

GP
11-10-2012, 10:08 AM
Kos is better than Cahill.

Way better.

Xhaka Can’t
11-10-2012, 10:11 AM
He has better hair too.

Globalgunner
11-10-2012, 10:18 AM
I don't think Wenger is outrightly against money per se in football, it's only money that clubs don't actually have to spend that annoys him. Giving players that much (in your instance RVP 200k a week) comes with the stigma of needing to give all the other players something similar to that or at least be commensurate with that figure. Giving RVP 200k a week wouldn't be the end of it, other players would be 'justified' in say 'only' asking for 120k a week - it's a long way off what RVP would be earning but also a great advance on what they currently get. You could say something similar about Wenger's underlings and the coaches but Wenger has earnt the right to have a wage such as that for being at the club for so long along with the fact he is the only manager, RVP is not the only player.

I dont think that is definitive. This is where a strong manager comes into it. The difference between Arsenal and ManU wage bills is not proportionate to the difference in playing staff (at least 1st team). We have fewer high wage earners in our 1st team and spend almost as much. We spend but not smart. It is well known that we already pay average players much more than they would earn anywhere else. paying superstars super salaries is actually an incentive to average players to buck up their ideas and too much too soon to mediocres is bad poicy as we have already seen with our inability to shift our shit players.

McNamara That Ghost...
11-10-2012, 10:26 AM
I dont think that is definitive. This is where a strong manager comes into it. The difference between Arsenal and ManU wage bills is not proportionate to the difference in playing staff (at least 1st team). We have fewer high wage earners in our 1st team and spend almost as much. We spend but not smart. It is well known that we already pay average players much more than they would earn anywhere else. paying superstars super salaries is actually an incentive to average players to buck up their ideas and too much too soon to mediocres is bad poicy as we have already seen with our inability to shift our shit players.

I'm fairly sure it would be. When Wenger came in one of the first issues he changed was the disparity between what Dixon was earning and say, forward players. I presume that is still true now, whether it's flawed or not. Plus this is all on the assumption that RVP would've stayed had the wage been good enough and I doubt that is the case.

Power n Glory
11-10-2012, 10:40 AM

The wage structure is like a glass ceiling and we'll end up losing our star players every season if we stick to it.

McNamara That Ghost...
11-10-2012, 11:30 AM
Quite possibly but I think we'd lose players in any case if we fail to be competitive.

Marc Overmars
11-10-2012, 11:33 AM
Yeah, the wage structure is only part of the problem, the most poignant fact is that we lose our best players because we're unable to compete for the league or CL.

Olivier's xmas twist
11-10-2012, 12:20 PM

The wage structure is like a glass ceiling and we'll end up losing our star players every season if we stick to it.

Well hold on, i thought players leave cause they want to be ambitious and win things not because what they are being paid. If players are leaving because were not paying them enough then it shows us what money grabbing ****s they really are.

Syn
11-10-2012, 12:35 PM
Forget about what the players want - we've been through it too many times and it's impossible to answer. An easier question: what does the club want? With Van Persie (even for this one season) we have a great shot at the title or a domestic cup. Now, not so much. So the £24m that the club gained from the Van Persie transfer could well be the cost of a title. So if no titles and CL win is part of the reason the top players don't stick around, then the club had a good opportunity to end that this time by telling Van Persie to see out his contract. They didn't. So who are really the 'money grabbing ****s'? Answer: Everyone.

Fist of Lehmann
11-10-2012, 12:39 PM
Is competing enough to convince players to stay?
Maybe once upon a time when bigger clubs could only offer a modest wage increase.

But when some are offering to double or triple a players wages, you are effectively boned.
The vast majority of players would still leave.

"The club is moving toward a less equitable pay structure as the AST acknowledged", according to the Cultured Left Foot blog. We need those re-negotiated commercial deals to stay on top of the balooning wage bill as it is. Maybe then selling our highest earner/most valuable player every year won't look quite as attractive.

Olivier's xmas twist
11-10-2012, 12:43 PM
Forget about what the players want - we've been through it too many times and it's impossible to answer. An easier question: what does the club want? With Van Persie (even for this one season) we have a great shot at the title or a domestic cup. Now, not so much. So the £24m that the club gained from the Van Persie transfer could well be the cost of a title. So if no titles and CL win is part of the reason the top players don't stick around, then the club had a good opportunity to end that this time by telling Van Persie to see out his contract. They didn't. So who are really the 'money grabbing ****s'? Answer: Everyone.

My point was, that all we kept hearing is RVP wanting to leave to win things, so giving him £200K plus would not have made him to stay. Yes we could have kept him and maybe we would have had a better chance on winning the league. However even with him, we'd still have need more quality. The clubs problem is that were too weak when it comes to transfers and cave in to quickly. Wenger lets himself get caught up in the emotions of his players. Weould have told Barca £60 mill for cesc or piss off. Just like the mancs did with CR7.

Syn
11-10-2012, 12:48 PM
My point was, that all we kept hearing is RVP wanting to leave to win things, so giving him £200K plus would not have made him to stay. Yes we could have kept him and maybe we would have had a better chance on winning the league. However even with him, we'd still have need more quality. The clubs problem is that were too weak when it comes to transfers and cave in to quickly. Wenger lets himself get caught up in the emotions of his players. Weould have told Barca £60 mill for cesc or piss off. Just like the mancs did with CR7.

My point is - if RVP wants to win things then forcing him to see out this year might've been the year where we win things. I don't think Wenger got 'caught up in the emotions' of Van Persie. The club wanted to make the sale and he let them because they keep stuffing money in his mouth.

And FoL - you're right. You need both but having a lot of cash to throw around also helps you to win things so being loaded doesn't just correlate with success but cause it.

McNamara That Ghost...
11-10-2012, 01:05 PM

You say that we would have had a great shot at the title (we still do at a domestic cup) but it's possible that we wouldn't have tried to sign Cazorla if we knew we weren't going to be getting any money in from RVP's future sale.

Olivier's xmas twist
11-10-2012, 01:08 PM
My point is - if RVP wants to win things then forcing him to see out this year might've been the year where we win things. I don't think Wenger got 'caught up in the emotions' of Van Persie. The club wanted to make the sale and he let them because they keep stuffing money in his mouth.

Was not talking about RVC. Cesc mainly. Don't think Selling RVC was the big problem. It was who we sold to and not replacing him with like for like quality.

Syn
11-10-2012, 01:25 PM
You say that we would have had a great shot at the title (we still do at a domestic cup) but it's possible that we wouldn't have tried to sign Cazorla if we knew we weren't going to be getting any money in from RVP's future sale.

I think with Wenger being a long-time admirer, the bargain of Cazorla would've been too good to pass up. I think it's more likely we wouldn't have bought Giroud instead. That doesn't make up all the Van Persie money but that's exactly what I'm arguing - the club don't have their priorities right if it's true that it's not a disaster to take a one-off hit of an extra £15-20m. There are no guarantees of a title but that's the risk the club don't want to take.

The same criticism holds from my POV. Suppose we had passed up the opportunity to buy Cazorla - then that £15m is potentially the cost of the title that the club aren't prepared to pay for, knowing, as you say, that it could help to partly prevent top players from wanting to leave. The sale of Van Persie just makes it more transparent - that we had the quality of a title-winning side and then we handed the best player to Man Utd.

Syn
11-10-2012, 01:26 PM
Was not talking about RVC. Cesc mainly. Don't think Selling RVC was the big problem. It was who we sold to and not replacing him with like for like quality.

I don't even know what you're talking about any more.

McNamara That Ghost...
11-10-2012, 01:31 PM
I think with Wenger being a long-time admirer, the bargain of Cazorla would've been too good to pass up. I think it's more likely we wouldn't have bought Giroud instead. That doesn't make up all the Van Persie money but that's exactly what I'm arguing - the club don't have their priorities right if it's true that it's not a disaster to take a one-off hit of an extra £15-20m. There are no guarantees of a title but that's the risk the club don't want to take.

The same criticism holds from my POV. Suppose we had passed up the opportunity to buy Cazorla - then that £15m is potentially the cost of the title that the club aren't prepared to pay for, knowing, as you say, that it could help to partly prevent top players from wanting to leave. The sale of Van Persie just makes it more transparent - that we had the quality of a title-winning side and then we handed the best player to Man Utd.

Well yeah I suppose so, I suppose Cazorla would have more relevance to Song in fairness. If it hadn't been Giroud joining then that would've left us strikewise not a huge amount better than last season, without RVP, not much after. We wouldn't have Gervinho confusing the hell out of everyone, to our apparent benefit!

I think we already know that the clubs priorities are not what we as fans want though, selling Nasri and Cesc in the same window so late on made it transparent enough last season. However with regards to Man Utd, it makes little difference, Fergie will get them to 80 points at least no matter what the state of their squad.

I'm ok with what we have done this summer though.

Fist of Lehmann
11-10-2012, 01:40 PM
My point was, that all we kept hearing is RVP wanting to leave to win things, so giving him £200K plus would not have made him to stay.

Actually, I think it would have.

There are only a few motivations we can accept from professional sportsmen. Love of the game, wanting to win things, wanting to improve. Most players don't have the guts to come out and say I want to move for money, that's just not palatable to the world at large. So they dress it up in something laudable.

Had we offered £200k+ what is the betting he would have walked straight back in the door and announced that it was a sign of Arsenal's ambition, that he was now happy with the direction of the club, that it was the only team he wanted to win things with?

In a way, personal ambition is every bit as selfish as personal wealth. Or do you suppose when he celebrates with the Stretford End he's doing it for the fans, the same fans who used to sing their rapist songs at him, or the club or manager with whom he has no previous history? No, he's doing it for himself, and in that, he's not so different from most of them.

Niall_Quinn
11-10-2012, 01:47 PM

There are only a few motivations we can accept from professional sportsmen. Love of the game, wanting to win things, wanting to improve. Most players don't have the guts to come out and say I want to move for money, that's just not palatable to the world at large. So they dress it up in something laudable.

Had we offered £200k+ what is the betting he would have walked straight back in the door and announced that it was a sign of Arsenal's ambition, that he was now happy with the direction of the club, that it was the only team he wanted to win things with?

In a way, personal ambition is every bit as selfish as personal wealth. Or do you suppose when he celebrates with the Stretford End he's doing it for the fans, the same fans who used to sing their rapist songs at him, or the club or manager with whom he has no previous history? No, he's doing it for himself, and in that, he's not so different from most of them.

Good post. Who is fooled by these shits any more? This is one of the worst examples of disloyalty and pure kick in the teeth selfishness. The way the club stuck with him, paid him for the equivalent of five seasons spent with his feet up, not his fault he was injured but certainly to his benefit the club stuck with him. In fact if you average out his wages over the games he actually played I wouldn't be surprised if he made that £200K a week. Our facilities, our staff, our expense and as soon as he was right and could put in a full season he fucks off out the door. You have to be pure scum to behave like that.

Olivier's xmas twist
11-10-2012, 02:13 PM

Yeah well..

Olivier's xmas twist
11-10-2012, 02:18 PM

Very true. My point was there is not point in saying it was not because we did not give him in the money, if before you said it was because he was ambitious. (not you) Just in general.

Fist of Lehmann
11-10-2012, 02:33 PM
Very true. My point was there is not point in saying it was not because we did not give him in the money, if before you said it was because he was ambitious. (not you) Just in general.

GP
11-10-2012, 02:41 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-Tnx5roNm0

Olivier's xmas twist
11-10-2012, 05:38 PM

Yeah so's your face :coffee:

Power n Glory
11-10-2012, 06:18 PM
So wages wouldn't make a difference....would Wenger stick around if he was paid a lot less compared to his peers? I doubt it. He's put up with the lack of silverware for years. When you're paid well, your willing to compromise on a few values. That's why he's stuck around for so long. There is no wage structure for him and they'll role out the red carpet for him when negotiations for his new contract start. No bullshit about making him a fair offer, take it or leave it, we can't pay what Chelsea and City pay type talk. If Wenger asked to be the highest paid manager in the Prem they'd have to give it to him.

Xhaka Can’t
11-10-2012, 06:29 PM
Jesus, change the record and stop being so fricken miserable all the time.

Power n Glory
11-10-2012, 06:46 PM
Jesus, change the record and stop being so fricken miserable all the time.

Who asked you? It's a discussion. If you want something lighthearted and different, feck off to the general section or anywhere outside of the Arsenal DEBATE section. Jeez!

Cripps_orig
11-10-2012, 06:46 PM
A players worth is not sole ly determined by his contract status but by what he is worth to the team willing to buy him. take Cahill and Kosielny. Which of these two would you rather have and which did Arsenal pay more for?

Cahill by some distance

Hes been very good for Chelsea

McNamara That Ghost...
11-10-2012, 07:08 PM
He's firmly third choice at Chelsea.

Olivier's xmas twist
11-10-2012, 07:15 PM
So wages wouldn't make a difference....would Wenger stick around if he was paid a lot less compared to his peers? I doubt it. He's put up with the lack of silverware for years. When you're paid well, your willing to compromise on a few values. That's why he's stuck around for so long. There is no wage structure for him and they'll role out the red carpet for him when negotiations for his new contract start. No bullshit about making him a fair offer, take it or leave it, we can't pay what Chelsea and City pay type talk. If Wenger asked to be the highest paid manager in the Prem they'd have to give it to him.

Thought players, played for ambition not a pay packet.

Xhaka Can’t
11-10-2012, 07:29 PM
No Charlie, the argument changes regularly to suit the latest point being made.

As for Wenger's wage, he could have commanded similar elsewhere, no problem. I recall Wenger mentioning a discussion with and agent where he stated that if there were no money in the game, he'd still be here whereas the agent wouldn't.

I think there are many things Wenger can be criticised for, not bleeding red and white aint one of them.

Power n Glory
11-10-2012, 07:41 PM
Thought players, played for ambition not a pay packet.

Think of it this way, if we were winning trophies like in the old days, I'm sure there would be players willing take a pay cut. Arteta jumped at the chance to join us because it was his last shot at the big time. He'd never get this sort of opportunity at Everton. Cesc took a pay cut at Barca because it was a massive opportunity.

But since we're not winning trophies and don't pay our top stars that well, why stick around? It's a lose lose situation, especially when they know other clubs are after them. Clubs that will pay them well and also going after silverware each year.

Why do you think I'm using Wenger as an example of a well paid guy that's happy to compromise?

You should also check Almunia's recent comments and why he was happy to sit on the bench.

Power n Glory
11-10-2012, 07:47 PM

As for Wenger's wage, he could have commanded similar elsewhere, no problem. I recall Wenger mentioning a discussion with and agent where he stated that if there were no money in the game, he'd still be here whereas the agent wouldn't.

I think there are many things Wenger can be criticised for, not bleeding red and white aint one of them.

Oh now you want to get involved.

Xhaka Can’t
11-10-2012, 07:52 PM
Oh now you want to get involved.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4AtBBVZ73U

Olivier's xmas twist
11-10-2012, 07:57 PM

Oh i know, which is what i was trying to say to FoL, but i think he got confused.

Power n Glory
11-10-2012, 07:58 PM
:lol: Take it to the film thread and discuss light shit over there if this too much for you.

GP
11-10-2012, 08:07 PM
Yeah man, football is serious shit.

Power n Glory
11-10-2012, 08:08 PM
The argument doesn't change, just you guys are looking for holes in arguments instead of using logic.

This is regular stuff that happens all the time. If you were unhappy about certain aspects of your job, but your boss practically begged you to stay and offered you more money, it would change things a little and you might actually consider staying for a year or two. Bottom line is we can't win anything if we're always reshuffling our team and it's an endless loop. That has got to make some sort of sense to guys?

Power n Glory
11-10-2012, 08:10 PM
Yeah man, football is serious shit.

:lol: If we're talking about people bleeding red and white for club and showing love and loyalty, then I guess it is.

Xhaka Can’t
11-10-2012, 08:13 PM
The argument doesn't change, just you guys are looking for holes in arguments instead of using logic.

This is regular stuff that happens all the time. If you were unhappy about certain aspects of your job, but your boss practically begged you to stay and offered you more money, it would change things a little and you might actually consider staying for a year or two. Bottom line is we can't win anything if we're always reshuffling our team and it's an endless loop. That has got to make some sort of sense to guys?

Özim
11-10-2012, 08:17 PM
The point of commanding similar elsewhere comes with much more risk, he wouldn't have the comfortable position he has now, they'd expect success so the situation would be completely different, I'm pretty sure he'd be out of a job after a couple seasons at those clubs willing to pay him a similar wage, that's not the case here at all.

As for being happy to do it for no money, it's easy to say that when you're earning 7 million a year, I don't see him putting his money where his mouth is though, his salary continues to go up and I don't see him turning down those rises offered to him either.

Power n Glory
11-10-2012, 08:19 PM

Might make sense in the morning once you're sober!

Xhaka Can’t
11-10-2012, 08:21 PM
The point of commanding similar elsewhere comes with much more risk, he wouldn't have the comfortable position he has now, they'd expect success so the situation would be completely different, I'm pretty sure he'd be out of a job after a couple seasons at those clubs willing to pay him a similar wage, that's not the case here at all.

As for being happy to do it for no money, it's easy to say that when you're earning 7 million a year, I don't see him putting his money where his mouth is though, his salary continues to go up and I don't see him turning down those rises offered to him either.

Wenger would never want for employment if he goes, he gets paid off and walks into something new.

At least that is what Mark Hughes does - and will be doing again soon.

Özim
11-10-2012, 08:25 PM
Wenger would never want for employment if he goes, he gets paid off and walks into something new.

At least that is what Mark Hughes does - and will be doing again soon.
Mark Hughes has got a job at a small club, he got a chance at City and they didn't take long to get rid of him. Wenger will have job offers of course, but failure to deliver success will soon see them being employed by lesser clubs. Big clubs want success not just pretty football.

Xhaka Can’t
11-10-2012, 08:28 PM
Mark Hughes has got a job at a small club, he got a chance at City and they didn't take long to get rid of him. Wenger will have job offers of course, but failure to deliver success will soon see them being employed by lesser clubs. Big clubs want success not just pretty football.

You're missing the point.

Kano
11-10-2012, 08:28 PM
wenger has sold out, make no mistake about that - but then again, who hasn't?

he still has pride and wants to win and do well for the club but elsewhere he would not get the financial incentives he gets here on top of his impressive basic. he could probably earn a great basic at real or psg where he was offered jobs but he also knows he would not get the space, freedom and lack of questioning he gets at arsenal.

Özim
11-10-2012, 08:29 PM
You're missing the point.
Sorry I don't understand your point, can you clarify what you're getting at?

Fist of Lehmann
11-10-2012, 08:31 PM
Oh i know, which is what i was trying to say to FoL, but i think he got confused.

http://i1.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/masonry/000/117/814/are-you-wizard.jpg

Xhaka Can’t
11-10-2012, 08:35 PM
Sorry I don't understand your point, can you clarify what you're getting at?

He could have gone right at the top of his game - and for even more than he was getting here, but he didn't. And even if he had gone and it all went tits up at Madrid, if it is exclusively about money, what did he care, he'd have been doing a circuit at a range of top clubs based on his existing achievements.

I'll level lots at Wenger, but I'll never doubt his loyalty and love of the Club.

Olivier's xmas twist
11-10-2012, 08:35 PM

As for being happy to do it for no money, it's easy to say that when you're earning 7 million a year, I don't see him putting his money where his mouth is though,

End of the day If Wenger is as stubborn as people say then what he earns makes no diffrence to anything he does.

I don't see him turning down those rises offered to him either.

No one would turn down a pay rise don't see the problem tbh. End of the day he does his job well and pleases his employers so if they think he deserves a pay rise then thats their right.

Should he say "actually i don't think i deserve this even if i met all your goals.

Not really it depends where he went, If he went to PSG, het get similar pay to he has now and as he is respected in french footie i guess they give him time to build a team.

If he went to a club like city or Chavs he'd not have that luxury.

Olivier's xmas twist
11-10-2012, 08:43 PM
He could have gone right at the top of his game - and for even more than he was getting here, but he didn't. And even if he had gone and it all went tits up at Madrid, if it is exclusively about money, what did he care, he'd have been doing a circuit at a range of top clubs based on his existing achievements.

I'll level lots at Wenger, but I'll never doubt his loyalty and love of the Club.

There seems to be so much emphasis on Wenger getting £ 7mill a year personally, it don't bother me and never will.

Kano
11-10-2012, 08:44 PM

There seems to be so much emphasis on Wenger getting £ 7mill a year personally, it don't bother me and never will.

a few posts in one thread isn't that much emphasis - the wasted money on useless players is far more of a concern and is talked about far more on here from what i can see.

Özim
11-10-2012, 08:51 PM
No one would turn down a pay rise don't see the problem tbh. End of the day he does his job well and pleases his employers so if they think he deserves a pay rise then thats their right.

Should he say "actually i don't think i deserve this even if i met all your goals.
GB brought up the point that he'd do it if there was no money in it, I was simply making the point that talk is cheap when you're earning big bucks and getting and gratefully accepting rises in salary.

Not really it depends where he went, If he went to PSG, het get similar pay to he has now and as he is respected in french footie i guess they give him time to build a team.
He may or may not, one things for sure he wouldn't get time, the owners are from the Middle East I believe and want success now not in 7 years, respect is soon forgotten when you fail to meet your targets.

Power n Glory
11-10-2012, 09:22 PM
We've all said at some point that the board need to put some pressure on Wenger. He's way too comfortable and he'd be under pressure at clubs like PSG or Real Madrid. He's able to get on with his work here without interference from the top guys. He's able to indulge in the youth project, develop players and take risks. One off season at Real and they'd probe and start suggesting he buys certain players. He wouldn't like that. There isn't as much freedom at those sort of clubs.

Olivier's xmas twist
11-10-2012, 09:49 PM
a few posts in one thread isn't that much emphasis - the wasted money on useless players is far more of a concern and is talked about far more on here from what i can see.

I don't mean in this thread, its been said all over Afc debate.

Kano
11-10-2012, 10:05 PM
not so sure myself - i had hardly seen much talk about it until someone mentioned it earlier in the week which sparked the debate in here. then again, i'm not here as much as you guys so maybe i'm wrong.

Cripps_orig
11-10-2012, 10:14 PM
Arsene Wenger, 62, has £35m to spend in January and the Arsenal manager will attempt to buy a striker with Atletico Madrid's Adrian Lopez, 24, and Athletic Bilbao's Fernando Llorente, 27, his leading targets.
Full story: Daily Mail

Crystal Palace manager Dougie Freedman has told Wilfried Zaha, 19, to snub Arsenal, Liverpool and Manchester City and stay at Selhurst Park.
Full story: Daily Star

Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger has asked his network of scouts to search for another new striker for the January transfer window.
Full story: Daily Telegraph

Arsenal are planning to arrange extra matches for midfielder Jack Wilshere, 20, in a bid to speed up his return to full fitness after 14 months on the sidelines through injury.

Chief executive Ivan Gazidis believes Arsenal are the perfect model to follow as Premier League clubs prepare for financial regulation.
Full story: Sky Sports

Fuck Adrian Lopez. Get his team mate Falcao. FL would do

Who?

Good to see we are after a striker

yay

:lol: yes we are the perfect model. A club whos won f all for years and been laughed at for just as long

Marc Overmars
11-10-2012, 10:56 PM
Llorente. :pray:

There will be a shit load of clubs after him though and I'd be very surprised if we managed to get him.

Adrian is a Spanish C-lister, which means he's already better than most anyway, sign him up as well.

Japan Shaking All Over
12-10-2012, 12:13 AM
If by January we are still a factor in all/some comps then I dont see why we can be an attractive option for someone like Llorente. The chance to be a contributor rather than a bit player would weigh heavy too, to be honest I am thinking of other English teams (Citeh and Utd) when I say that. . .Juve are obviously heavily in the market for a striker too. . .and I suppose there is the Spuds who just buy anyone anyway!

Marc Overmars
12-10-2012, 08:21 AM
If by January we are still a factor in all/some comps then I dont see why we can be an attractive option for someone like Llorente. The chance to be a contributor rather than a bit player would weigh heavy too, to be honest I am thinking of other English teams (Citeh and Utd) when I say that. . .Juve are obviously heavily in the market for a striker too. . .and I suppose there is the Spuds who just buy anyone anyway!

I think it will boil down to money because of his contract situation. The transfer fee might be low but you can bet his wages will be ridiculous. Especially if he agrees a pre-contract and moves on a bosman in the summer.

Xhaka Can’t
12-10-2012, 09:19 AM
not so sure myself - i had hardly seen much talk about it until someone mentioned it earlier in the week which sparked the debate in here. then again, i'm not here as much as you guys so maybe i'm wrong.

Nobody is ever wrong on an internet forum!

She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
13-10-2012, 08:29 PM
http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11670/8162351/Bordeaux-insist-that-Arsenal-striker-Marouane-Chamakh-can-return-to-the-club-whenever-he-wants

fakeyank
14-10-2012, 05:37 PM
http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11670/8162351/Bordeaux-insist-that-Arsenal-striker-Marouane-Chamakh-can-return-to-the-club-whenever-he-wants

Dont worry.. we will give him a new bumper contract and send Theo out. Chakma will be like a new signing then! ##

server too busy!
15-10-2012, 09:28 AM
3/4s of this thread has nothing to do with transfer speculation :(

Globalgunner
15-10-2012, 10:26 AM
That`s because most people realise that we most likely wont buy anyone this window, with Wenger sitting on his palms again, happy with the splendour set fair before him.

McNamara That Ghost...
15-10-2012, 11:44 AM
We've got the '& shit' part nailed down though. :ninja:

I think we'll buy someone if we end up selling someone. That's what we do.

LDG
15-10-2012, 11:54 AM

I think we'll buy someone if we end up selling someone. That's what we do.

Arshavin or Theo?

McNamara That Ghost...
15-10-2012, 11:56 AM
Possibly both. Although I can't see us getting much with barely playing Arshavin.

Xhaka Can’t
15-10-2012, 12:43 PM

Globalgunner
15-10-2012, 06:20 PM
Possibly both. Although I can't see us getting much with barely playing Arshavin.. have we tried QPR. They will buy anything if the price is high enough.

McNamara That Ghost...
15-10-2012, 06:30 PM
That's true. I think they will be in financial meltdown soon so we'd best hurry up.

Olivier's xmas twist
15-10-2012, 10:17 PM
Arsenal are considering an ambitious move to bring Manchester United's Mexican striker Javier Hernandez, 24, to the Emirates.

Full story: Caughtoffside.com

Arsenal are aiming to beat north London rivals Tottenham to the signing of 23-year-old Brazilian striker Leandro Damiao from Internacional.

Full story: Daily Star Steve Browett, the Crystal Palace co-chairman, has moved to assure the club's supporters that Wilfried Zaha "is not for sale", despite Sunday newspaper reports that clubs including Manchester City, Liverpool and Arsenal want to buy the 19-year-old winger.

Full story: The Guardian Arsenal's Italian goalkeeper Vito Mannone, 24, insists he wants to stay with the north London club despite interest from Napoli.

Full story: The Sun

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/gossip/

Cripps_orig
15-10-2012, 10:53 PM
Hernandez is average

Never seen this Damaio dude

Hope we dont buy the next Routledge

Mannone is our best keeper since Lehmann. Must Keep

Japan Shaking All Over
16-10-2012, 12:05 AM
Hernadez would not be a bad buy but I think this is a rehash of old news. . .if it was ever to be believed. . .his arrival would spell the end of and would mean we had found a buyer for Theo

News over here Sagna to Inter?

LDG
16-10-2012, 08:23 AM

That wouldn't suprose me at all.

We'd make a few quid, and we have Jenks. Has Arsenal written all over it that one.

Harland
16-10-2012, 08:37 AM
I don't understand, why are we consistently getting linked to strikers?

Why aren't we getting linked to central midfielders, am I the only one who thinks we are short in this area?

Marc Overmars
16-10-2012, 08:40 AM
Gervinho is chancing it and Giroud needs to find some consistency. Another option wouldn't hurt considering Chakma is the alternative should we pick up any injuries.

Wenget has probably put his faith in Wheelchair for CM.

Globalgunner
16-10-2012, 08:52 AM

We'd make a few quid, and we have Jenks. Has Arsenal written all over it that one.

I can feel that one happening too...and if jenks gets injured at any point we have Djourou who can play there. Very Arsenal.

LDG
16-10-2012, 08:56 AM

Why aren't we getting linked to central midfielders, am I the only one who thinks we are short in this area?

Arteta, Cazorla, Ramsby, Wilshere, Diaby, Coq, Rosicky, AOC...

Dunno, we're only likely to have three or four injured at one time, worst case senario. If we were to buy in CM, it's because we have sold, imo.

Fist of Lehmann
16-10-2012, 11:51 AM

This wouldn't suprose me either. In fact, I would be completely unsuprosed.

He's already had his 'outburst', about wanting to have that special Nasri feeling.

This is Arsenal MO 101.

Olivier's xmas twist
16-10-2012, 02:51 PM
I can feel that one happening too...and if jenks gets injured at any point we have Djourou who can play there. Very Arsenal.

No we have Yennaris :bow:

Olivier's xmas twist
16-10-2012, 02:59 PM
Hernadez would not be a bad buy but I think this is a rehash of old news. . .if it was ever to be believed. . .his arrival would spell the end of and would mean we had found a buyer for Theo

Sagna going is not a shock, his rant has given the board the ammo they need to sell him. Jenks playing well too shows we can make a few quid off him. Saying that its nice to know we actually have a quality replacement for once.

As for Henandez not sure about him, Think we'd be better off getting a Ba or Llorente.

Id say we are a couple short, just to give us cover. End of the day just cause were not linked to them don't mean were not thinking about it.

I think A striker seems to be priority.

KSE Comedy Club
16-10-2012, 04:28 PM
We won't buy anyone else anyway.

Wenger will gamble on whichever crock coming back from injury/youth prospect's name is being chucked about at the time.

Just like he gambled with diaby.

Olivier's xmas twist
16-10-2012, 05:24 PM
We won't buy anyone else anyway.

Wenger will gamble on whichever crock coming back from injury/youth prospect's name is being chucked about at the time.

Just like he gambled with diaby.

And he admitted it was a mistake. End of the day the money is there and if he thinks he needs to buy he will. I doubt he won't buy because he don't want to.

Syn
16-10-2012, 05:43 PM
Which Hernandez are we talking about here? Man Utd's? Why even think about it.

Marc Overmars
16-10-2012, 05:56 PM
Yeah. Now if they've got any shit French centre backs, then we're in business.

Olivier's xmas twist
16-10-2012, 06:17 PM
Which Hernandez are we talking about here? Man Utd's? Why even think about it.

Well its not as if he is going to get games with them.

Syn
16-10-2012, 06:21 PM
It's not as if Fergie would sell him to us unless he's anything other than shit. He's not Wenger.

Olivier's xmas twist
16-10-2012, 06:32 PM
It's not as if Fergie would sell him to us unless he's anything other than shit. He's not Wenger.

Maybe, maybe not. Would rather get Ba or Llorente anyways.

Power n Glory
16-10-2012, 06:34 PM
And he admitted it was a mistake. End of the day the money is there and if he thinks he needs to buy he will. I doubt he won't buy because he don't want to.

How many times have we been down this road where he has said we'll buy in January and then doesn't? He did it last season, season before that when we needed a centreback, I think the season before that one too when we were short on strikers...we'll wait and see but I have my doubts.

Olivier's xmas twist
16-10-2012, 07:19 PM
How many times have we been down this road where he has said we'll buy in January and then doesn't? He did it last season, season before that when we needed a centreback, I think the season before that one too when we were short on strikers...we'll wait and see but I have my doubts.

He has never said he will buy in Jan, well not where i have seen. Its PHW who says money is there and will be spent if wanted too. Normally he says he will buy if he needs to. Like to say he probs won't though.

Power n Glory
16-10-2012, 08:15 PM
He has said in the past that he'd buy if the price is right or we're looking for special talent..the usual stuff from Wenger.

Cripps_orig
17-10-2012, 01:25 PM
Arsene Wenger has asked to be kept informed of any developments involving Athletic Bilbao striker Fernando Llorente, according to reports in Spain.
The frontman scored 29 goals for Athletic last season as they reached the Europa League final but has made just one start for the club in the current campaign after refusing to sign a new contract.
Llorente's current deal expires at the end of the season and his reluctance to sign an extension has led to speculation that he could be sold in January.
And it is thought that Arsenal boss Wenger would be extremely interested as he looks to bolster his strikeforce despite the club's impressive start to the season.
Olivier Giroud scored his first Premier League goal of the season against West Ham but there are fears Robin Van Persie has not been adequately replaced - with Llorente seen as a possible solution.
And Marca believe that Wenger has spoken to Athletic and asked to be kept informed if another club makes a move for the 27-year-old, leading to speculation that he will match any other bid.

Read more at http://www.talksport.co.uk/sports-news/football/premier-league/transfer-rumours/121016/arsenal-make-contact-bilbao-over-llorente-183210#bxcvQJ706s5Ogf4S.99

:popcorn:

Is FL the next player we nearly buy that comes good for another club?

Cripps_orig
17-10-2012, 10:59 PM
Arsenal, Liverpool and Manchester City will have to pay at least £20m if they want to sign Crystal Palace's 19-year-old winger Wilfried Zaha.

Looks like we have him

Kano
18-10-2012, 09:04 AM
Barcelona accuse Manchester City of unsettling Sergio Busquets

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11679/8174552/Barcelona-accuse-Manchester-City-of-unsettling-Sergio-Busquets

Haha, you ****s :lol:

Japan Shaking All Over
18-10-2012, 09:27 AM

Cripps_orig
18-10-2012, 09:50 AM
Arsenal have made Atletico Madrid striker Adrian Lopez their No.1 January transfer target, Goal.com can reveal.

The Londoners plan to open negotiations with the Spanish club in time to secure the signing of the forward soon after the transfer window re-opens.

Manager Arsene Wenger has intensified his interest in the 24-year-old Spain international after failing in a bid to capture him in the summer.

The Arsenal boss has been encouraged by the knowledge that Adrian has a £14.6 million release clause in his contract.

After identifying the reinforcement of Arsenal’s striking department as one of his main priorities when the transfer window re-opens, Wenger wants to wrap up a stellar signing early in January rather than rush through a deal at the end of the month.

The title hopefuls will lose Gervinho on Africa Cup of Nations duty in January for up to six weeks and Theo Walcott will be free to sign a pre-contract with a foreign club at the turn of the year ahead of a move next summer, when his current agreement expires.

Wenger is a big admirer of Athletic Bilbao’s Fernando Llorente, who is out of contract at the end of the season, but the powerful forward is not regarded as a realistic target because Arsenal believe he is too similar to Olivier Giroud.

Wenger has received excellent feedback from his scouts on Adrian, who has been hailed in some quarters as the new David Villa.

Like the Spain and Barcelona star, Adrian is an orthodox striker, who has the versatility to play anywhere across the front three, and has a proven scoring record at club and age-group level for the Spanish national team.

He won the Golden Boot at the 2011 European Under-21 Championship, scoring five goals for the tournament winners, and followed that up with 18 goals for Atleti last season, including 10 strikes in the Europa League en route to winning the trophy.

Adrian also scored on his international debut in Spain’s 2-0 friendly win over Serbia in May and, after missing out on Euro 2012 selection, he figured in the Spain squad that exited the Olympics at the group stage.

The forward has fallen down the pecking order at Vicente Calderon this season after failing to agree terms on a new contract with the club, who are second only to Barcelona in La Liga. He has started only two of the club’s eight league games this season and five matches in all competitions.

But that will not prevent Wenger from making his move. He wants a conventional front man who can complement Giroud and provide some of the goalscoring menace that has been absent since the departure of Robin van Persie.

"Adrian fits the bill for Arsenal," a source told Goal.com. "There is interest in Llorente but he is too similar to Giroud. Wenger wants a striker who is more pacy and can run in behind.

"They feel they can get Adrian for a reasonable price because of the buy-out clause. Wenger wants the deal done at the beginning of January."

Lukas Podolski, Arsenal’s other principal forward signing in the summer, has been used exclusively on the left flank this season and is not regarded as a candidate for a regular central striker role.

The same applies to Gervinho, even though he has had some success as the front man this season, scoring four of his five goals after starting as the fulcrum of the attack.

Marouane Chamakh and on-loan pair Nicklas Bendtner and Park Chu-Young have no futures at Emirates Stadium and will be sold if Arsenal’s valuations can be met.

Arsenal’s recently published financial results demonstrate that the club have cash reserves of £50m available to spend on new players next year.

Typical of us.

Going for the shite cheap option instead of Falcao

Would rather have Llorente. His style might be similar to Giroud but hes also 40 times better than Giroud

LDG
18-10-2012, 10:09 AM
Or it could be a load of guff.

Olivier's xmas twist
18-10-2012, 12:03 PM
Typical of us.

Would rather have Llorente. His style might be similar to Giroud but hes also 40 times better than Giroud

:doh:

Then again

Goal.com :haha:

Only a fool would believe what is written on there and no i don't have twitter or like twitter or want twitter.

Japan Shaking All Over
18-10-2012, 12:37 PM
Typical of us.

Even someone with your level of WUMness must know that we have not a hope in hell of getting Falcao, our supposed war chest will not cover his buy out clause, sign on fee or wages.

I know very little about Adrian and am not getting carried away with the paper talk about him being the new Messi, Silva or whoever nor am I convinced by your assessment of him being shite

But we are going to need a wide player come ANC/Theo and for me it is acase of in Wenger I trust. . .not looking forward to see Fat Andy put in a couple of half shifts

selassie
18-10-2012, 12:49 PM
He has said in the past that he'd buy if the price is right or we're looking for special talent..the usual stuff from Wenger.

Which translates to "I'm not going to buy" :coffee:

LDG
18-10-2012, 12:53 PM
"Adrian fits the bill for Arsenal," a source told Goal.com. "There is interest in Llorente but he is too similar to Giroud. Wenger wants a striker who is more pacy and can run in behind.

"They feel they can get Adrian for a reasonable price because of the buy-out clause. Wenger wants the deal done at the beginning of January."

"a source"

WTF.

This ranks alongside the worst articles ever written on anything. In the world ever.

Marc Overmars
18-10-2012, 12:59 PM
Spanish B-listers. :bow:

Japan Shaking All Over
18-10-2012, 02:34 PM
Arguably better than English A listers :cough Theo cough: - Danish fuck wits and Russian circus clowns

Olivier's xmas twist
18-10-2012, 02:43 PM

"a source"

WTF.

This ranks alongside the worst articles ever written on anything. In the world ever.

Come on its Goal. com

They don't even write their acticles they steal them off the daily mail and rephrase them.

Olivier's xmas twist
18-10-2012, 02:44 PM
Even someone with your level of WUMness must know that we have not a hope in hell of getting Falcao, our supposed war chest will not cover his buy out clause, sign on fee or wages.

Pretty much.

Cripps_orig
18-10-2012, 02:51 PM
The whole point of moving stadium was so we could buy the best in the world

If we cant do that then whats the point of the new stadium?

Olivier's xmas twist
18-10-2012, 04:05 PM
The whole point of moving stadium was so we could buy the best in the world

If we cant do that then whats the point of the new stadium?

No, the point of the new Stadium was to compete with the best teams in the world. I highly doubt when ever it was planned it had anticipated the rich clubs to be able to buy all the top stars.

dazthegooner
18-10-2012, 04:11 PM
No, the point of the new Stadium was to compete with the best teams in the world. I highly doubt when ever it was planned it had anticipated the rich clubs to be able to buy all the top stars.

Özim
18-10-2012, 04:43 PM
You say that and yet we barely spend a penny (net) so we're not even spending more than we did at Highbury, in fact we're spending less, so it was all BS in the first place.

Olivier's xmas twist
18-10-2012, 05:29 PM
You say that and yet we barely spend a penny (net) so we're not even spending more than we did at Highbury, in fact we're spending less, so it was all BS in the first place.

No it was not, where did wenger ever say he was going to spend big in this stadium. If we stayed at Highbury we'd be much worse of now then we are.

Like i said Who was to know Billionaires would come into play onced this was planned. End of the day this was planned well before we left highbury.

so we're not even spending more than we did at Highbury,

Yes because we always spent, 10 -16 mill on players when we was at highbury. Yeah we may have spent money at Highbury but that was when you did not have to pay top odds for quality players, we never spent over the odds and that has not changed. Excpet Now top players cost top dollar.

so it was all BS in the first place.

Not really no. I highly Doubt this was Wenger/the board Vision for moving. This decsion to move was made ages before we moved anyways.

Özim
18-10-2012, 05:51 PM
No it was not, where did wenger ever say he was going to spend big in this stadium. If we stayed at Highbury we'd be much worse of now then we are.

Like i said Who was to know Billionaires would come into play onced this was planned. End of the day this was planned well before we left highbury.
World class team in a world class stadium and competing with the best teams in the world we two statements made, both need investment, even if the rich clubs hadn't appeared, Real and Barca had lots of money and we'd have needed to spend to compete.

Yes because we always spent, 10 -16 mill on players when we was at highbury. Yeah we may have spent money at Highbury but that was when you did not have to pay top odds for quality players, we never spent over the odds and that has not changed. Excpet Now top players cost top dollar.
We spent more on better players at Highbury, Bergkamp, Pires, Henry, Lauren, Campbell, Overmars etc....we did invest more in the team in those days, not a lot more but more nonetheless, these days well sell more than we spend.

Not really no. I highly Doubt this wasWenger/the board Vision for moving. This decsion to move was made ages before we moved anyways.
I don't believe it anymore, we were told it was for other reasons but it's become clear it was for financial reasons now, 4th place is perfect......you get lots of money without having to take a risk and spend some.

Olivier's xmas twist
18-10-2012, 06:18 PM
World class team in a world class stadium and competing with the best teams in the world we two statements made, both need investment, even if the rich clubs hadn't appeared, Real and Barca had lots of money and we'd have needed to spend to compete.

We'd have not have needed to spend mega to competer with those 2 teams. End of the day the era of the Billionaire was something no one at the club had forseen and did not think it would have harmed its plans.

Had their been no rich guys then more or less stupid wages would not have come about and therefore we may have been able to attract better players.

We spent more on better players at Highbury, Bergkamp, Pires, Henry, Lauren, Campbell, Overmars etc....we did invest more in the team in those days, not a lot more but more nonetheless, these days well sell more than we spend.

Yes but those players were more bought cheaper then what we have now, so its more or less the same anyways only diffrence is we sell better then we did then and make a better profit.

I don't believe it anymore, we were told it was for other reasons but it's become clear it was for financial reasons now, 4th place is perfect......you get lots of money without having to take a risk and spend some.

I highly doubt it was for financial reasons when they 1st thought of the move, I don't think the likes Of Dein/ Fizman/ lady Nina would have agreed to the move if they did not think it would benefit the club in the future. Maybe its become that way now but thats a diffrent issue.

Maestro
18-10-2012, 06:23 PM
Oh come on folks, we all know the point of the new stadium was to make a lot of money, bank a lot of money, increase share price, sell for a lot of money, make a lot of money, increase share price, sell for a lot of money .......guessing you got it by now.

It is very evident it was never about spending a lot of money or competing with the best.

Power n Glory
18-10-2012, 06:25 PM
We're competing alright. The revenue the club generates rivals the very best in the world, the fans pay more than the majority of our rivals....we're competing but not on the field unfortunately. Nobody could predict the arrival of Chelsea and Man City coming in, but we still have a very flawed model because the burden is on the fans to keep this club afloat and that means they are going to have to keep on raising ticket prices.

Özim
18-10-2012, 06:27 PM
We'd have not have needed to spend mega to competer with those 2 teams. End of the day the era of the Billionaire was something no one at the club had forseen and did not think it would have harmed its plans.

Had their been no rich guys then more or less stupid wages would not have come about and therefore we may have been able to attract better players.
That's not true, Barca and Real are arguably to two best teams in the world right now and they've invested a fair amount, we could never compete without investing in the team (and I don't mean spending what you get from player sales).

Salaries are higher yes, but so are season ticket prices, in addition our squad is full of players we've chosen to overpay. We could simply have focussed on paying for quality and left the whole everyone must be paid a similar amount scheme behind.

Yes but those players were more bought cheaper then what we have now, so its more or less the same anyways only diffrence is we sell better then we did then and make a better profit.
In relative terms, no not really.....we had a smaller income and prices were lower in those days...Bergkamp at 7 million was a huge amount in those days, Overmars too was quite expensive. As for selling, we sold Anelka for 20+ million likewise Overmars so I'm not sure our sales are "better" nowadays.

I highly doubt it was for financial reasons when they 1st thought of the move, Maybe its become that way now but thats a diffrent issue.
Maybe not when we first thought of it, but in those days Dein was involved and it's clear he was interested in having a successful playing side.

Olivier's xmas twist
18-10-2012, 06:32 PM
That's not true, Barca and Real are arguably to two best teams in the world right now and they've invested a fair amount, we could never compete without investing in the team (and I don't mean spending what you get from player sales).

Salaries are higher yes, but so are season ticket prices, in addition our squad is full of players we've chosen to overpay. We could simply have focussed on paying for quality and left the whole everyone must be paid a similar amount scheme behind.

In relative terms, no not really.....we had a smaller income and prices were lower in those days...Bergkamp at 7 million was a huge amount in those days, Overmars too was quite expensive.

Maybe not when we first thought of it, but in those days Dein was involved and it's clear he was interested in having a successful playing side.

Fair enough.

Maybe not when we first thought of it, but in those days Dein was involved and it's clear he was interested in having a successful playing side

This, we have to remember this move was decided id say aroubd the time Dein wanted us to move to wembley, so i think it had more to do with football reasons.

The 1st 4 years was always going to be tough cause we have to pay off the stadium. The last 3 years have been messed up as we still believe were doing things the right way, when we need to find away to beat the best.

I think we'll be fine for the future which in a way is what this whole thing was about.

Olivier's xmas twist
18-10-2012, 06:32 PM
We're competing alright. The revenue the club generates rivals the very best in the world, the fans pay more than the majority of our rivals....we're competing but not on the field unfortunately. Nobody could predict the arrival of Chelsea and Man City coming in, but we still have a very flawed model because the burden is on the fans to keep this club afloat and that means they are going to have to keep on raising ticket prices.

Spot on

Cripps_orig
18-10-2012, 10:58 PM
Juventus hope to beat Arsenal to the signature of Athletic Bilbao striker Fernando Llorente by offering the 27-year-old a deal which would make him the highest paid player at the Serie A leaders.

Need to get him

Özim
18-10-2012, 11:40 PM
Need to get him
You're right but I'm pretty sure we won't.

fakeyank
19-10-2012, 12:52 AM
Need to get him

You know we are talking about arsenal right? We don't buy players like that. Find the next unknown african in the belgian league and we can be sure we will be after him!

LDG
19-10-2012, 06:50 AM

What will be interesting to see, is what happens when the sponsorship deals are renewed. The gap plugged by the fans and player sales should be dealt with as priority to keep parity with everyone else, and perhaps (and i can't see this happening) appease the fans by lowering some ticket prices.

Xhaka Can’t
19-10-2012, 07:29 AM
I never thought I'd say this, but ticket prices for Category C games are really good value.

LDG
19-10-2012, 08:18 AM
I never thought I'd say this, but ticket prices for Category C games are really good value.

I got Sunderland and Saints tickets for £28 a pop...and the beauty of it is, you get a great view from any part of the stadium....

Have tix for RPQ, Fulham, West Brom and Swnasea for £120.00....which ain't bad really!

Fist of Lehmann
19-10-2012, 11:37 AM
I can't see them lowering ticket prices either, not across the board.

The club have been canny in increasing the high demand Cat A games and lowering the Cat C's. It would be interesting to see how the whole pricing change balances out but you can be sure it's an overall increase in gate revenue.

Gervinho's Forehead
19-10-2012, 11:41 AM

I got Sunderland and Saints tickets for £28 a pop...and the beauty of it is, you get a great view from any part of the stadium....

Have tix for RPQ, Fulham, West Brom and Swnasea for £120.00....which ain't bad really!

I've got West Brom too, lower tier corner, was gonna get one for Swansea but decided against it.

LDG
19-10-2012, 11:44 AM
Cool!!

You're scaring the shit out of me.

Gervinho's Forehead
19-10-2012, 11:47 AM
Cool!!

You're scaring the shit out of me.

Why man?

LDG
19-10-2012, 11:56 AM

Why man?

First you kidnap my brother, now you're stalking me! :angry:

Stay away!

:upset:

Gervinho's Forehead
19-10-2012, 12:14 PM
Don't worry! I won't hurt you. :)

Japan Shaking All Over
19-10-2012, 01:31 PM
Coming back for Christmas and New Year, got tickets for Saints away. . .New Years Day!ugh! gonna have to peel me off the ceiling!

LDG
19-10-2012, 01:40 PM
Coming back for Christmas and New Year, got tickets for Saints away. . .New Years Day!ugh! gonna have to peel me off the ceiling!

In the away end? or Saints end?

If away end...lemme know how you got tix, as it's just down the road from me, and I would love to get in the away end!

Japan Shaking All Over
19-10-2012, 01:56 PM
In the away end? or Saints end?

If away end...lemme know how you got tix, as it's just down the road from me, and I would love to get in the away end!

Thats the trick. . .asked my cousin who is Saints season ticket holder if he could help, he could but. . .home end!

Cant complain though, wouldnt have been able to do that much from over here. . .missus's first game. . .going in, tooled up with some ninja stars and a kendo sword

LDG
19-10-2012, 02:00 PM

Fair play.

If I can't watch it in the away end, I won't be going. I can't keep my mouth shut, tbf, and I'll end up getting the shit kicked out of me.

Olivier's xmas twist
19-10-2012, 02:04 PM
You know we are talking about arsenal right? We don't buy players like that. Find the next unknown african in the belgian league and we can be sure we will be after him!

Well yes, but he is going to be able to sign pre contracts in the Jan window. End of the day He'll go to who ever pays the most.

GP
19-10-2012, 02:45 PM
I was at the 2003 cup final vs. saints. In the saints end.

They are a good bunch, tbh.

LDG
19-10-2012, 02:57 PM

They sent quite a few plain clothed wankers up to our gaff this year....they weren't so nice.

I'm a lippy sod when I've had a few, so I'd end up in trouble.

Japan Shaking All Over
19-10-2012, 03:02 PM

Not really one for standing in the oppo's end but considering I'm thousands of miles. . .I'll take it whatwver way it comes. . .hope to get some Clock End games when I come back for good

Anyway isnt it Pompey who have the naughty firm down saaf?

Xhaka Can’t
19-10-2012, 03:03 PM

Fair play.

If I can't watch it in the away end, I won't be going. I can't keep my mouth shut, tbf, and I'll end up getting the shit kicked out of me.

You should go.

LDG
19-10-2012, 03:03 PM
You should go.

Ollie the Optimist
21-10-2012, 06:29 PM
havnt really been on here this week so apologies if already asked, but been seeing reports over last few days that we have 35 million to spend in the next window and hill wood has confirmed money there to spend.

its obvious we need to spend on some players, was obvious in the summer, but why is the money suddenly avalible now? where was it in summer?

KSE Comedy Club
21-10-2012, 06:36 PM
It's just more pr bullshit.

The magical £35m we ALWAYS have in the pot, every fucking transfer window.

And even more magical is the fact that it NEVER gets spent.

Olivier's xmas twist
21-10-2012, 06:40 PM
havnt really been on here this week so apologies if already asked, but been seeing reports over last few days that we have 35 million to spend in the next window and hill wood has confirmed money there to spend.

its obvious we need to spend on some players, was obvious in the summer, but why is the money suddenly avalible now? where was it in summer?

Needed to make sure the books were balanced. Once that was done they saw they had spare change. Or they just did not want to spend it in the summer.

Or its just PHW chatting shit, telling the fans what they want to here, knowing the money won't be spent.

Niall_Quinn
21-10-2012, 07:35 PM
It's just more pr bullshit.

The magical £35m we ALWAYS have in the pot, every fucking transfer window.

And even more magical is the fact that it NEVER gets spent.

Yep, every single window the same. Arsenal war chest. £30mill to spend. It's just code. They mean there will be £30mill when we've sold Jack.

Olivier's xmas twist
21-10-2012, 09:31 PM
Yep, every single window the same. Arsenal war chest. £30mill to spend. It's just code. They mean there will be £30mill when we've sold Jack.

fakeyank
21-10-2012, 09:47 PM
The problem is not that we do not have decent players or we need to spend tons on getting players. What needs to change is our playing style.. player for player, we are as good (if not better) as Tottenham or Newcastle but look at the difference in playing style. Watching us play is like poking your eyes with a needle. Slow laborious passing with no end product is what you see most of the games. Unless the opposition comes at us, Arsenal games are probably as good as watching Serie A matches!

Why on earth AW changed our playing style from fast counter attacking to slow tippy tappy still amazes the fuck out of me. Everything that worked in AW's previous successful team, he has changed. Its like a daemon went inside AW and turned him into the biggest c*nt in the world!