29-09-2012, 01:40 PM
Fuck.

gooners
29-09-2012, 01:40 PM
meh;

'they have spent more money than us anyway'

Marc Overmars
29-09-2012, 01:41 PM
Horrble performance, easiest 3 points Chelsea will pick up all season. Can't get my head around how lethargic we were, no sense of urgency at all.

The defence is back, after the recent blip of good showings. :rolleyes:

Ollie the Optimist
29-09-2012, 01:41 PM
fucking awful, disgraceful and a joke. the only player who gets any credit today is jenkinson. he was supberb.

and theo can shove his contract demands up his arse. the annoymous waste of space

Dennis Bendtner
29-09-2012, 01:42 PM
They played like strangers.

Cripps_orig
29-09-2012, 01:42 PM
Best defender v City dropped for a big game

Wenger is a clueless fuck who needs to go

Ramsey on the right v Cole instead of Theo who has raped Cole time and time again. Cole will never have had an easier afternoon.

Cazorla ineffective.

Pod taken off despite being our best striker for a lump called Giroud who has proven me right unfortunately :(

Jenkinson excellent. Mannone had no chance for the goals. Diaby is dead yet again

Olivier's xmas twist
29-09-2012, 01:44 PM
dropping Mertz was the key to this loss

Not even he would have made a diffrence.

When you don't have quality you struggle and we did. We knew loosing RVP would cost us and it has. This is what happens when you go and buy shite and sell your best players.

Master Splinter
29-09-2012, 01:45 PM
Both teams were poor today. Chelsea made less mistakes.

Terrible free-kicks and goals to concede. It should always definitely be Mertesacker +1.

As bad as we were (and Ramsey, Cazorla, Oxlade-Chamberlain in particular were overly sloppy), we still had enough chances to equalise and even win.

Jenkinson the best player again. Every other player came out with little credit.

The expected petulant knee-jerk reactions from one bad display will be the biggest memory of today though.

fakeyank
29-09-2012, 01:45 PM
Too pissed off right now

Olivier's xmas twist
29-09-2012, 01:46 PM
Best defender v City dropped for a big game

Wenger is a clueless fuck who needs to go

Ramsey on the right v Cole instead of Theo who has raped Cole time and time again. Cole will never have had an easier afternoon.

Cazorla ineffective.

Pod taken off despite being our best striker for a lump called Giroud who has proven me right unfortunately :(

Jenkinson excellent. Mannone had no chance for the goals. Diaby is dead yet again

t Bould should have made sure Merts played i mean he trains them does he not?

Static
29-09-2012, 01:47 PM
Fuck fuck fuck fuck fucking fuck fuck.

Niall_Quinn
29-09-2012, 01:47 PM
Jenks, Arteta, Cazorla, Ox and Pods did okay. Gibbs, Gervinho, Giroud and Ramsey awful, Walcott worse than awful. Didn't keep the shape, didn't lift a finger, should be sacked after that performance. It was like Arsavin in the euros. The little **** can fuck off now, obvious why he's not going played. A couple more quality players in the team would raise the standard considerably because the weaker, ame wreckers wouldn't need to be carried.

Girouds late miss and Gervinhos unexpected finish the highlights, for different reasons.

Torres a horrible cheat, depicable slime.

milla
29-09-2012, 01:48 PM
What a bad game, this lot don't have it in their gut.

This is the 2nd time in 2 weeks we gave away goals from Vermaelan unnecessary foul.

How on earth we conceded two goals from the same set piece? The answer is easy, no one want to be in charge and left
it to the last defender to deal with it.

Ramsey is shite, we were fine when he was on the wing but as soon as he is moved to CM.. he fecked up at every opportunity.

And finally, Theo.. if he doesn't want it, take him off the team.

Dennis Bendtner
29-09-2012, 01:49 PM
I think the Diaby injury had a big impact on the team (yes, I know before that Chelsea played well). After that, there was no balance for the rest of the game and it wasn't a team. Ramsey was playing well out wide, but then unbalanced the CM. Chamberlain did set up the goal, but was dreadful otherwise, especially when moved into CM which was not a good move from Wenger. Giroud...fuck. Koscielny...double fuck. Well played Jenkinson.

Anyway, congratulations Letters.

Marc Overmars
29-09-2012, 01:50 PM
Kos was awful and Vermaelen had one of his failed action man days. Gibbs was very sloppy as well.

Oxlade and Cazorla were ineffective. The Spanish midget needs to find his shooting boots to go with the neat play.

We probably should have taken a point but then the golden chance fell to Giroud and we all could have called what happened there.

In brief: Arsenal. :doh:

Cripps_orig
29-09-2012, 01:50 PM
Chelsea were excellent today although we didnt make it hard for them

Top 3 sorted

Arsenal, Everton, Spuds going for 4th

Ralpheroo72
29-09-2012, 01:51 PM
Minimal positives from that game, maybe the main positive is we are a self sustaining profitable business model. Negatives, everything else. A lamp post would have been more effective than Walcott. Diaby is a liability, and needs to go. I am sure he is great at karaoke on team bonding sessions, but he is just too injury prone, and we have no plan B for when he gets injured every game.

fakeyank
Walcott can fuck off after today. I'd have rather played a dead dog in his position and that'd have been 100 times better.

Marc Overmars
GHELkinson was good though.

You wouldn't have thought he was a former non-league player judging by his woeful teammates.

Olivier's xmas twist
Vermaelan is he really our best defender? Had a shocker today, but can never been dropped as he has the armband Wumger :doh:

Our vice Captain did not have a good game either. Santi and Poldi never had good games, but shows how poor we are when they had better games then the rest.

Giroud i want to believe in this guy, but im coming round to the Ach school of thought i really am.

Kos was terrible today, our best defenfer last season, but should never have played. As Zimm would say Wenger has egg on his face once again.

Theo looked like he is off.

Gev was Gev.

Chavs had better quality and controlled the game and forced to stpuid goals out of us.

Joker
29-09-2012, 01:52 PM
Very poor performance, deserved nothing from this game.

Wenger's team selection and substitutions were baffling as well. Mertesacker should have stayed in the team, and persisting with Ramsey on the right was a terrible decision as well. He tried that last season and he was ineffective and negatively affected our performances. Why does he persist with playing players out of position? How long did it take before he realised Eboue on the right of midfield, Diaby on the left, Bendtner as wing forward etc etc didn't work? Wenger's so stubborn sometimes, that he'll keep a flawed strategy/team selection going for a long time just to be proved right.

Subbing Podolski was a bad idea as well. We saw with that header how dangerous he can potentially be, and yet Gervinho was spared again, despite being extremely erratic throughout the game despite his goal.

I thought Wenger had learned a few lessons from last season, but he still keeps making basic tactical mistakes that you'd expect someone of his experience not to make.

milla
I think the Diaby injury had a big impact on the team (yes, I know before that Chelsea played well). After that, there was no balance for the rest of the game and it wasn't a team. Ramsey was playing well out wide, but then unbalanced the CM. Chamberlain did set up the goal, but was dreadful otherwise, especially when moved into CM which was not a good move from Wenger. Giroud...fuck. Koscielny...double fuck. Well played Jenkinson.

Anyway, congratulations Letters.

It should have been Coquelin for Diaby not Ramsey. Anyone who thinks Ramsey is a solid CM needs a brain check. The kid has no engine (not to mention technically bad too) to be on the centre of the pitch.

Olivier's xmas twist
Chelsea were excellent today although we didnt make it hard for them

Top 3 sorted

Arsenal, Everton, Spuds going for 4th

Yeah liek we were ever going to win the league anyways.

Olivier's xmas twist
29-09-2012, 01:54 PM

Wenger's team selection and substitutions were baffling as well. Mertesacker should have stayed in the team, and persisting with Ramsey on the right was a terrible decision as well. He tried that last season and he was ineffective and negatively affected our performances. Why does he persist with playing players out of position? How long did it take before he realised Eboue on the right of midfield, Diaby on the left, Bendtner as wing forward etc etc didn't work? Wenger's so stubborn sometimes, that he'll keep a flawed strategy/team selection going for a long time just to be proved right.

Subbing Podolski was a bad idea as well. We saw with that header how dangerous he can potentially be, and yet Gervinho was spared again, despite being extremely erratic throughout the game despite his goal.

I thought Wenger had learned a few lessons from last season, but he still keeps making basic tactical mistakes that you'd expect someone of his experience not to make.

Yeah its Wenger stop being shocked, you know what the prick is like. Soz for swearing just pissed off ffs.

milla
29-09-2012, 01:54 PM
Vermaelan is he really our best defender? Had a shocker today, but can never been dropped as he has the armband Wumger :doh:

The only solution is to move him to LB. He was a left back at Ajax and he is still a left back with Belgium. Gibbs is probably a bit quicker than him but Vermaelan should easily edges him in different department. :coffee:

She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
29-09-2012, 01:55 PM
fucking woeful.

the koscielny-vermaelen circus act continues. and full praise to wenger for deciding to take a gamble by taking per out against the european champions- fucking pleb. i raised concerns before the game cause mertesacker was our best defender on the pitch last week and he should have started today, looks like i was right. if he could cope with aguero and silva i dont see the problem with hazard/mata. to give the game away with sloppy mistakes is unforgivable. we played like the bloody away team for most the match. defending woeful not for one goal but two. shocking.

good tactics from chelsea tbf, stuck oscar on arteta and we couldnt get going.

gervinho awful.
ramsey awful.
chamberlain awful.

oh and diaby off injured :haha: so it begins. 6 games into the season.

fully blame wenger for this. changing a defence that was working so well. it rippled our team full of uncertainty. well done, and to another 16 years :haha:

fakeyank
The only solution is to move him to LB. He was a left back at Ajax and he is still a left back with Belgium. Gibbs is probably a bit quicker than him but Vermaelan should easily edges him in different department. :coffee:

Gibbs, when fit, is miles better than TV on the left.

Cripps_orig
Hoddle spot on about Arsenal

Niall_Quinn
29-09-2012, 01:56 PM

Move Gibbs up as a replacement for Walcott. Gibbs ant defend but he's a lot better than Walcott or Gervinho playing wide.

Dennis Bendtner
29-09-2012, 01:57 PM
Wenger's team selection and substitutions were baffling as well. Mertesacker should have stayed in the team, and persisting with Ramsey on the right was a terrible decision as well. He tried that last season and he was ineffective and negatively affected our performances. Why does he persist with playing players out of position?

I don't understand this. Ramsey had a very good game as an inverted wide player against Man City. He had a good first half today there. It was when he was moved to his 'natural position' that he started playing poorly. I don't think he's a CM at all unless you play him instead of Cazorla.

Olivier's xmas twist
29-09-2012, 01:58 PM

Put Gibbs on Left wing anf TV5 as LB, Kos and Merts and CB and were good to go.

Cripps_orig
29-09-2012, 01:58 PM
Verm is fine

People complaining about him giving the free kicks away seem to forget that there is a lot more to do after that

Cant remember the first one but the 2nd one was given away after Arteta fucked up and gave it away

Kos is a massive problem

His 2 decent weeks at the end of last season was enough to convince people hes the best player of all time

I fortunately am a bit older and iwser that that. Hes shit and always has been

milla
29-09-2012, 02:00 PM
I don't understand this. Ramsey had a very good game as an inverted wide player against Man City. He had a good first half today there. It was when he was moved to his 'natural position' that he started playing poorly. I don't think he's a CM at all unless you play him instead of Cazorla.

Ramsey is shitty CM, he looks OK on the wing cos can't fecked his passing. As soon as he is actually use as CM he will give away the ball day in and day out. He is OK for Norwich, Blackpool, Wales etc but he will never get to play in any other big CL teams. :coffee:

She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
29-09-2012, 02:00 PM
every fucking time this team starts showing promise they let us down.

useless.

milla
29-09-2012, 02:01 PM
Put Gibbs on Left wing anf TV5 as LB, Kos and Merts and CB and were good to go.

No put Gibbs on the bench and get proper wide forward. I like Gibbs but he doesn't offer anything going forward. :coffee:

Master Splinter
29-09-2012, 02:03 PM
I fortunately am a bit older and iwser that that.

Iwser indeed.

Olivier's xmas twist
29-09-2012, 02:04 PM
Hoddle spot on about Arsenal

?

Olivier's xmas twist
29-09-2012, 02:04 PM
Iwser indeed.

Iwiser:bow:

She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
29-09-2012, 02:05 PM
made that donkey torres look like a world beater :haha: :haha:

only us. what an embarrassment :haha:

Cripps_orig
29-09-2012, 02:05 PM
?

Dont you have sky sports?

Olivier's xmas twist
29-09-2012, 02:06 PM
every fucking time this team starts showing promise they let us down.

useless.

Nah i just think today reminded us where we are.

Olivier's xmas twist
Dont you have sky sports?

Yeah, but switched over.

GP
http://i.imgur.com/PEwmv.jpg

I'm off.

GW is more embarrassing than anything that might have happened on the pitch today.

Cripps_orig
made that donkey torres look like a world beater :haha: :haha:

only us. what an embarrassment :haha:
Only surprise is Mikel who never scores didnt score today as well

We have a habit of having players who do f all score v us

Fletcher, Park etc for Mancs

Torres for Chelsea.

If a player is off form then no doubt their manager wants to play us asap

Olivier's xmas twist
29-09-2012, 02:07 PM
Torres FFL points :bow:

Dennis Bendtner
29-09-2012, 02:07 PM
Ramsey is shitty CM, he looks OK on the wing cos can't fecked his passing. As soon as he is actually use as CM he will give away the ball day in and day out. He is OK for Norwich, Blackpool, Wales etc but he will never get to play in any other big CL teams. :coffee:

Yeah. He isn't a Wilshere or a Diaby and I suppose Wenger knows that. Unfortunately today we had the option of him or Chamberlain in CM (no Coquelin on the bench) and both unbalance things if played with Cazorla. Ramsey was having a good game in the 'wider' role before that. He can still be a good player for Arsenal as long as people know his role.

Cripps_orig
29-09-2012, 02:08 PM
Has Wenger ever beaten RDM?

Boss
29-09-2012, 02:09 PM
The kneejerking on here is terrible.

We were fairly evenly matched, Chelsea created nothing apart from their two goals, both of which were down to poor defending to be fair. Perhaps we should have kept Mertesacker in the side but that's the only mistake I can see from Wenger. Despite us being relatively poor we still created enough to at least draw the game, Giroud should have done better with his chance as should have Cazorla (IIRC).

Jenkinson and Chamberlain look a good partnership down that side, we would have done better if Diaby wasn't his usual glass self.

On to the next one.

Joker

Perhaps but I don't really like playing players out of position. Out wide we want a bit more of an attacking/creative threat, and Ramsey just seems uncomfortable. A couple of times he could have gotten away done the right but his lack of pace meant he had to check back and the momentum was lost.

TBH the same can be said about Podolski, although I understand Wenger playing him on the left as he plays that role for Germany as well. He's not really been involved much in the last 2 games, and I think he'd be better suited up top.

She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
Nah i just think today reminded us where we are.

maybe, but they came here for the draw and we played like we just had to turn up in order to win. our passing was atrocious today, we tried passing the ball in front of the player so he can run onto it but we just kept giving the ball away.

gunnerrrrr
29-09-2012, 02:10 PM
The biggest issue we have is that we create so many chances yet as soon as we get near the 12 yard box we become clueless. Thats where RVP was so good for us, his movement in that area of the pitch was world class.(he is stilla **** mind but this is for analysis purposes).

Now Grioud has excellent movement to, but he is so tensed up he keeps fluffing his lines. I see quality in him, but we need it now so unfairly he will not be given the time to settle.

Gervhinio is not Henry, nor is he a player who can be converted into a striker. He has the touch of molester, and the finishing ability of a priest.

I have no idea why Mert was dropped, his reading and orgainsing of the back four has been class, not to mention his ability in the air. Torres won a truck load of headers today.

Ramsey is a player who is yet to find his true position in the team. He is a great player, but he has confidence issues and needs time to mature. That **** from stoke really fcuked this kids development/mentality up.

However the biggest problem we have by far is Wenger. He rarely balances the team, makes awful awful tactical decisions, and his sub routine is naive, silly and at worst negligent.

We showed great promise so far this season but Wenger will do his best to fuck it up as he has done so for the last 7 seasons. He cant help it.

Globalgunner
29-09-2012, 02:11 PM
Same ol Arsenal , losing gallantly. Another season starting to look like the one before and before.....

She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
Only surprise is Mikel who never scores didnt score today as well

We have a habit of having players who do f all score v us

Fletcher, Park etc for Mancs

Torres for Chelsea.

If a player is off form then no doubt their manager wants to play us asap

we made mikel look like zidane. how much time did he have every time he got the ball?

but shush dont say anything, its all an overreaction :haha:

cant critise wenger for bad decisions or players for not turning up :haha:

Olivier's xmas twist
We showed great promise so far this season but Wenger will do his best to fuck it up as he has done so for the last 7 seasons. He cant help it.

How by beating the saints 6-1 or beating a poor pool side?

milla
29-09-2012, 02:12 PM
Yeah. He isn't a Wilshere or a Diaby and I suppose Wenger knows that. Unfortunately today we had the option of him or Chamberlain in CM (no Coquelin on the bench) and both unbalance things if played with Cazorla. Ramsey was having a good game in the 'wider' role before that. He can still be a good player for Arsenal as long as people know his role.

He can be a good player for Arsenal? I mean if he is some fekin foreign born player he would be crucified now. He is shit, he is no good in CM no pace in wide area. Wenger should send Ramsey to Sao Paulo and let him play with Denilson. :coffee:

gunnerrrrr
29-09-2012, 02:12 PM
How by beating the saints 6-1 or beating a poor pool side?

Look where both these teams are in the league.

Cripps_orig
29-09-2012, 02:13 PM
we made mikel look like zidane. how much time did he have every time he got the ball?

but shush dont say anything, its all an overreaction :haha:

cant critise wenger for bad decisions or players for not turning up :haha:

People calling it knee jerking are funny

Its the same shit we have seen season in and out for years. How is that knee jerking?

Our brief blip of good form is over. We are back to normal

Olivier's xmas twist
29-09-2012, 02:14 PM
Look where both these teams are in the league.

who.

hobson's choice
29-09-2012, 02:15 PM
Very simple game, Chelsea weren't better than Arsenal on any level really, it's just Arsenal is missing those one or two special players in the attack.

A game like this, RVP, Cesc, Henry, Pires, would've created something out of nothing, but we don't have that

gunnerrrrr
29-09-2012, 02:15 PM

Its the same shit we have seen season in and out for years. How is that knee jerking?

agree.

how the fuck is this knee jerking?

ffs we have sold all are best players, won fuck all since 2005, now pay the most for season tickets and match day tickets etc etc Would it be too much to ask for to see some progression and ambition, or how about some return on the promises made about bringing in quality players, trophies etc

gunnerrrrr
29-09-2012, 02:16 PM
who.

the two teams you mentioned...saints and liverpool

Marc Overmars
29-09-2012, 02:17 PM
I thought the "Robin van Persie, he reckons your shit" chant was funny. :ninja:

Dennis Bendtner
Perhaps but I don't really like playing players out of position. Out wide we want a bit more of an attacking/creative threat, and Ramsey just seems uncomfortable. A couple of times he could have gotten away done the right but his lack of pace meant he had to check back and the momentum was lost.

TBH the same can be said about Podolski, although I understand Wenger playing him on the left as he plays that role for Germany as well. He's not really been involved much in the last 2 games, and I think he'd be better suited up top.

My issue is the idea of him being 'out of position'. All evidence suggests to me he isn't. But yes, I can understand the preference and thought with Walcott's record against Cole he might start. Guess not. I think it was to try and keep a hold on Chelsea's attacking midfield three. But when he moved inside was when Arsenal started playing with no cohesion or direction. Even worse when Chamberlain took that place.

Podolski I don't think has the movement or pace to consistently play up front. I like his current role, but games like today are bound to happen.

Joker
This is the problem with not playing a more defensively minded player in the centre of midfield. Arteta's just quite well so far, but it would be better if we had a more aggressive player who'd close down the opposition when on the ball. Like mentioned before, Mikel had too much time to pick out forward passes. That's not the mention the space that Chelsea had on the counter attack, and if they were less sloppy they probably would have scored more on the break. This is where a conventional defensive midfielder would have come in handy, to prevent them turning defence into attack so effortlessly.

Cripps_orig
29-09-2012, 02:18 PM
I thought the "Robin van Persie, he reckons your shit" chant was funny. :ninja:

I thought it was "He left cos youre shit,"?

Both are true tbh

hobson's choice
Oh Yeah, how wasn't that Torres goal a foul, he was all over Kos.

Ollie the Optimist
the only bad thing today about jenkinson was that horrific dive. i hope someone gives him a fucking bollocking for it. was a disgrace

Olivier's xmas twist
maybe, but they came here for the draw and we played like we just had to turn up in order to win. our passing was atrocious today, we tried passing the ball in front of the player so he can run onto it but we just kept giving the ball away.

Maybe they did, and i thought we'd win till i saw the team we put out and how shite it looked apart from a few good players. We played against a chav side who bought quality in the summer and are going for the title.

Does not matter who we drop etc. if you want to beat them you have to buy quality to match them, not hope we get lucky of some earlier good form.

Only 1 person said that.

Ralpheroo72
29-09-2012, 02:19 PM
No one had a good game, Gibbs showed promise. Our team is like Jesus, afraid of crosses.

hobson's choice
29-09-2012, 02:20 PM
This is the problem with not playing a more defensively minded player in the centre of midfield. Arteta's just quite well so far, but it would be better if we had a more aggressive player who'd close down the opposition when on the ball. Like mentioned before, Mikel had too much time to pick out forward passes. That's not the mention the space that Chelsea had on the counter attack, and if they were less sloppy they probably would have scored more on the break. This is where a conventional defensive midfielder would have come in handy, to prevent them turning defence into attack so effortlessly.

What are you talking about, Mikel barely got the ball, and he certainly wasn't spraying passes around, both teams were craps, especially there's and our midfield

Olivier's xmas twist
29-09-2012, 02:21 PM
the two teams you mentioned...saints and liverpool

So yet we should not get happy because we beat them or it was promising. We were always going to end up like this when we did not buy quality in the summer.

hobson's choice
29-09-2012, 02:21 PM
It's very simple, our attacking players while okay, simply aren't great, so yeah we'll beat up on the likes of Southampton, but we all know, we are gonna struggle for goals, against decent opposition this season.

Marc Overmars
29-09-2012, 02:22 PM
There wasn't really much between the sides. We just reverted to our fucked up style of defending and that was the difference.

Should have taken a point but unfortunatley the chance fell to the last player right now you'd want on the end of it.

She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
29-09-2012, 02:23 PM
how on earth the team couldnt get up for a london derby against one of our biggest rivals is shocking.

walked onto the pitch as if we were playing charlton.

RomfordPele
29-09-2012, 02:31 PM
There wasn't really much between the sides. We just reverted to our fucked up style of defending and that was the difference.

Should have taken a point but unfortunatley the chance fell to the last player right now you'd want on the end of it.

To be fair, I'd have no confidence in any of our current strikers finishing a chance like that when it really matters. No bottle.

hobson's choice
29-09-2012, 02:31 PM
how on earth the team couldnt get up for a london derby against one of our biggest rivals is shocking.

walked onto the pitch as if we were playing charlton.

This game wasn't about effort or fight, they fought, it just wasn't their day. And talent on the pitch simply isn't good enough to beat a Chelsea side that played pretty well defensively

Ollie the Optimist
29-09-2012, 02:33 PM
mannone needs extra training, the second goal especially, he just stood there. it barely touched kos, not enough to deviate massively of its path yet he shoudl have saved it.

Cripps_orig
29-09-2012, 02:34 PM
mannone needs extra training, the second goal especially, he just stood there. it barely touched kos, not enough to deviate massively of its path yet he shoudl have saved it.

Oh dear

Marc Overmars
29-09-2012, 02:34 PM
To be fair, I'd have no confidence in any of our current strikers finishing a chance like that when it really matters. No bottle.

I think Podolski would have belted that in, or at the very least got it on target. Giroud, on his favoured foot skewed it wide. He needs to sort his life out.

hobson's choice
29-09-2012, 02:35 PM

Yep, should've

She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
This game wasn't about effort or fight, they fought, it just wasn't their day. And talent on the pitch simply isn't good enough to beat a Chelsea side that played pretty well defensively

i didnt think we were urgent enough. we slowed the tempo right down as if we expected to open them up without any effort. we needed to speed up the tempo and hit them with speed but everytime we got the ball we let them get 10 men behind it. they also won most the headers/aerial battles, i mean torres was winning everything. so i think the team could have given more.

hobson's choice
I think Podolski would have belted that in, or at the very least got it on target. Giroud, on his favoured foot skewed it wide. He needs to sort his life out.

Should've took it first time

Olivier's xmas twist

Spot on.

Marc Overmars
29-09-2012, 02:36 PM

I need to see it again but my first impression is that Mannone was rooted to the spot because Kos follwed the flight of the ball in and he probably expected him to deal with it.

Dennis Bendtner
29-09-2012, 02:36 PM

It was an excellent ball into the corridor of uncertainty. Neither at fault. The defender has to get lucky for the touch to go wide instead. Look at Luiz's in the second half.

Ollie the Optimist
29-09-2012, 02:37 PM
I need to see it again but my first impression is that Mannone was rooted to the spot because Kos follwed the flight of the ball in and he probably expected him to deal with it.

but a good keeper would cover it anyway. he should have moved just in case kos didnt deal with it.

hobson's choice
29-09-2012, 02:38 PM
i didnt think we were urgent enough. we slowed the tempo right down as if we expected to open them up without any effort. we needed to speed up the tempo and hit them with speed but everytime we got the ball we let them get 10 men behind it. they also won most the headers/aerial battles, i mean torres was winning everything. so i think the team could have given more.

Most of the time when we got the ball, we simply didn't have anywhere to go, cause Chelsea did a good job getting back.

Cripps_orig
29-09-2012, 02:38 PM
Pretty much

Keepers cant go for those balls unless they are mind readers and expect everyone to miss them.

Kos fucked up, Mannone didnt

Olivier's xmas twist
29-09-2012, 02:39 PM
but a good keeper would cover it anyway. he should have moved just in case kos didnt deal with it.

Thats just it he is not, fine to play for hull but if we want to be winning stuff, like WW says with players like him we won't.

She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
29-09-2012, 02:40 PM

i dont think you've ever played in goal because if you had you'd know its not as easy as that. you cant follow the ball because a slight touch off the defender can take it the other way. you've got to stay rooted for as long as possible until you're sure the ball will not deviate. unfortunately it's usually too late by then and it ends up in the back of the net, so you cant put any blame on the keeper. instead you need to look at the defending and analyse a) the positioning and b) why the ball wasnt stopped early.

Ollie the Optimist
Pretty much

Keepers cant go for those balls unless they are mind readers and expect everyone to miss them.

Kos fucked up, Mannone didnt

so a keeper should not move to where the ball will land in case his defender misses it but instead stay rooted to the spot.

RomfordPele

I agree mannone should have covered it, but if you watch it again Gibbs was fouled by ivanovic as the ball came in. He would have been best placed to cut it out. Two very very poor goals to concede anyway.

Ollie the Optimist
29-09-2012, 02:41 PM
i dont think you've ever played in goal because if you had you'd know its not as easy as that. you cant follow the ball because a slight touch off the defender can take it the other way. you've got to stay rooted for as long as possible until you're sure the ball will not deviate. unfortunately it's usually too late by then and it ends up in the back of the net, so you cant put any blame on the keeper. instead you need to look at the defending and analyse a) the positioning and b) why the ball wasnt stopped early.

mannone didnt even move, thats criminal. he should have saved it. simple as. the defending was awful, from giving away the free kick to actually defending the free kick. blame to everyone for that

Marc Overmars
29-09-2012, 02:42 PM

Could've been even more of a calamity then as they may have collided. Anyway, the 2nd goal was poor to concede but those sort of freekicks can always be dangerous if the whip is good. Mata has brilliant tekkers for set pieces.

The first goal was weak as fuck though and should've been dealt with.

She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
29-09-2012, 02:43 PM
mannone didnt even move, thats criminal. he should have saved it. simple as. the defending was awful, from giving away the free kick to actually defending the free kick. blame to everyone for that

did you read my post? it explains why he couldnt move.

Cripps_orig
so a keeper should not move to where the ball will land in case his defender misses it but instead stay rooted to the spot.

And had Kos diverted the ball and it went in where Mannone was, you'd be the first to moan that Mannone should have stayed where he was

Cripps_orig
did you read my post? it explains why he couldnt move.

Remember who youre replying to

Ollie the Optimist
29-09-2012, 02:44 PM
And had Kos diverted the ball and it went in where Mannone was, you'd be the first to moan that Mannone should have stayed where he was

no i would have slated kos for it. then this brings in communication doesnt it. kos was unchallenged, why did mannone not make a call?

Olivier's xmas twist
29-09-2012, 02:45 PM
:haha:

OK guys lets calm down, were all upset and feelings are getting in the way.

:hug:

Cripps_orig
29-09-2012, 02:46 PM
:haha:

OK guys lets calm down, were all upset and feelings are getting in the way.

:hug:
He started it tbh

And i as usual will finish it by making a mockery out of him

Joker
29-09-2012, 02:47 PM
We've seen goals like the 2nd one many times in the past, it's easy to blame the keeper but they can't really do much about them. I remember Zola scoring a somewhat similar goal against us 10 years ago.

She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
29-09-2012, 02:47 PM
https://static.prtst.net/asset-proxy/97ae67a498150faaa3792c01857cb5ef23cdc1f1/687474703a2f2f6172656e746569707972676f752e66696c65 732e776f726470726573732e636f6d2f323031322f30392f31 3030307835303070782d6c6c2d62326664623661635f6c6f7a 67725f6769665f636f6c6c656374696f6e5f6f665f736f6d65 6f6e655f656174696e675f706f70636f726e2e67696623706f 70636f726e2532306669676874253230676966253230333630 78323430/http://arenteipyrgou.files.wordpress.com/2012/09/1000x500px-ll-b2fdb6ac_lozgr_gif_collection_of_someone_eating_po pcorn.gif

Dennis Bendtner
29-09-2012, 02:48 PM
Have you ever played Roberto Baggio's Magical Kicks? It was like that. If the keeper moves to 'cover' the ball, he looks like an utter retard when it goes in the other corner. There is nothing Mannone can do with a ball going like that. Why do you think those are constantly described as a nightmare for defenders. You get lucky with the touch or you don't and we didn't.

Cripps_orig
29-09-2012, 02:49 PM
We've seen goals like the 2nd one many times in the past, it's easy to blame the keeper but they can't really do much about them. I remember Zola scoring a somewhat similar goal against us 10 years ago.
Blame Mannone for that tbh

Olivier's xmas twist
29-09-2012, 02:50 PM
He started it tbh

And i as usual will finish it by making a mockery out of him

Your both pissed and upset and its just emotion spilling out. You seem like a nice dude tbh.

Joker
29-09-2012, 02:50 PM
yeah its called communication, you know where a keeper calls for the ball so his defence knows not to touch it as he has it or vice versa.

If Mannone tells the defender not to touch it, what happens when the Chelsea player gets a clear header on goal?

She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
29-09-2012, 02:51 PM
Your both pissed and upset and its just emotion spilling out. You seem like a nice dude tbh.

chaz :bow:

always speaking sense :bow:

future mod :bow:

Marc Overmars

Yeah, there's no need to overthink it.

Of course people get precious about it though because it involved a GW +1 player.

Cripps_orig
Have you ever played Roberto Baggio's Magical Kicks? It was like that. If the keeper moves to 'cover' the ball, he looks like an utter retard when it goes in the other corner. There is nothing Mannone can do with a ball going like that. Why do you think those are constantly described as a nightmare for defenders. You get lucky with the touch or you don't and we didn't.

Pretty much

Kos should have either not gone for it or cleared it. Mannone couldnt go for it until it went past Kos. Anyone can see that.

I dont blame Kos for going for it. I do blame him for making a mess of it

Cripps_orig
29-09-2012, 02:52 PM

Dont worry, ive ended it from the post just above yours

She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
29-09-2012, 02:53 PM
posts disappearing :bow:

letters modding from a boat :bow:

Ollie the Optimist
29-09-2012, 02:53 PM
If Mannone tells the defender not to touch it, what happens when the Chelsea player gets a clear header on goal?

there was no chelsea player near him at hte time. kos made the fuck up unchallaegned hence why mannone should have called it

kas
29-09-2012, 02:56 PM
It was an excellent ball into the corridor of uncertainty. Neither at fault. The defender has to get lucky for the touch to go wide instead. Look at Luiz's in the second half.

'corridor of uncertainty' Bloody Geoffrey Boycott's on here now!

gunnerrrrr
29-09-2012, 02:59 PM
Pretty much

Kos should have either not gone for it or cleared it. Mannone couldnt go for it until it went past Kos. Anyone can see that.

he does that everytime, he panics whenever we have a set piece...the stupid prik cost us the carling cup and he always has fuck ups in him

Dennis Bendtner
29-09-2012, 02:59 PM
Pretty much

You don't need to apportion blame for every single event. It was swerving in at pace. Koscielny did his best to divert it away but could not get a decisive touch. It happens! As for blaming Mannone - for fuck's sake. Look at the goal. How is someone expected to 'call' for a ball travelling at that speed with the defender halfway committed to going for it?

Joker
29-09-2012, 03:01 PM
there was no chelsea player near him at hte time. kos made the fuck up unchallaegned hence why mannone should have called it

There were two Chelsea players to the left of Koscielny (http://www.101greatgoals.com/gvideos/juan-mata-goal-v-arsenal/), if he leaves it there's a chance they get on the end of the cross. Tbh I'm not really blaming Koscielny either for that goal, because in that split second there's real uncertainty about what to do, and there's hardly any time to tell the defender what to do anyway.

milla
29-09-2012, 03:02 PM

Torres and JT were behind Kos. Not fully Kos's fault, the ball should have been dealt with a lot earlier (the same with first goal). Why on earth it always reach our last defenders.. I dont know. Hence why I said many our players have no gut to defend our box, they always wait for their CBs to clear things out.

If this would be manu, their midfield players would have head the ball out before it even reach the last defender. :coffee:

Dennis Bendtner
29-09-2012, 03:03 PM
'corridor of uncertainty' Bloody Geoffrey Boycott's on here now!

:lol: it's the best way of describing it. Like edging Mcgrath to the slips.

Cripps_orig
29-09-2012, 03:03 PM
You don't need to apportion blame for every single event. It was swerving in at pace. Koscielny did his best to divert it away but could not get a decisive touch. It happens! As for blaming Mannone - for fuck's sake. Look at the goal. How is someone expected to 'call' for a ball travelling at that speed with the defender halfway committed to going for it?
It happens to Koscielny far too many times for my liking. He should have done better imo cos he got there. Just fucked up his kick

milla
29-09-2012, 03:04 PM
FFS this will be the longest weekends ever... :coffee:

Cripps_orig
29-09-2012, 03:04 PM
he does that everytime, he panics whenever we have a set piece...the stupid prik cost us the carling cup and he always has fuck ups in him

Theres always a mistake in him even when hes playing well.

Thats why i wouldnt have him in the first team

Dennis Bendtner
29-09-2012, 03:06 PM
It happens to Koscielny far too many times for my liking. He should have done better imo cos he got there. Just fucked up his kick

Ridiculous, he didn't get there, he was on the stretch and it brushed off his shin at most.

Master Splinter
29-09-2012, 03:10 PM
You don't need to apportion blame for every single event.

he's not in the business of critisising one player to praise another

Olivier's xmas twist
29-09-2012, 03:13 PM

Thats unfair, Chesney fecked up too that day.

Cripps_orig
29-09-2012, 03:13 PM
Ridiculous, he didn't get there, he was on the stretch and it brushed off his shin at most.

Just seen it again.

If you go for it, you need to get it

Much like a keeper coming for a cross

Cripps_orig
29-09-2012, 03:17 PM
on the performance...
I feel we played against a good team, but we gave the game away. They had three shots on target and scored two goals, from soft set-pieces. Defensively we were just not at the level you have to be in a game like that, which is where we were punished today. For the rest, we have shown quality and spirit but we have to show more personality and authority on the goals we conceded.

on leaving Mertesacker on the bench...
That is a decision which was based on the opposition we played. You can say it was a wrong one maybe, but I believe [that statement] is a lowering the quality of the players who played, they are internationals.
If you do not play Koscielny or Vermaelen and cannot win the game, you will ask me the same question.

on Chelsea's first goal...
We did not attack the ball, on either goal. The difference between Chelsea on set-pieces and us was the way they were in the air - it was obvious today.

on Arsenal's mentality...
I would not say that, it is just on the day when you play at home you do not expect to concede two set pieces. That puts us every time on the back foot. We played two big games in a week, and it is difficult.
Every time you are behind in a big game you have 65 per cent of chances to win the game. We came back last week and did so again today, but then straight away gave away another goal again. It is impossible because you have to take all the risks and open yourself up. You play against good players and they can hit you on the counter-attack. That is where we were not at the [right] level.

on Giroud's chance at the end...
It was a top chance, and Cech kept them in the game as well on many occasions. he had an outstanding game.

on John Terry being allowed to play...
Yes, I had no problem. I do not want to interfere in that, I expected him to play. If the rules allow it why not?

on a possible over-reaction to the defeat...
Yes, maybe, but we have to deal with that. I can completely understand people's opinion, what is important is the personality you show in a big game. That is where is some areas we were not at the [right] level today.

on rotating central defenders...
Nobody can play all the games, it is simple.

on being 16 years in charge...
I never look back, I always look forward. I looked at today's game and look at the next game. It is not easy, it is never easy.

Its september so not like the CBs are tired

Dennis Bendtner
29-09-2012, 03:22 PM
Just seen it again.

If you go for it, you need to get it

Much like a keeper coming for a cross

:lol: right. So we'll be blaming defenders for unlucky deflections for the rest of time. I'll bear that in mind. But I guess this was all in the spirit of the +1 so fair enough. Koscielny is the world's worst defender.

Olivier's xmas twist
29-09-2012, 03:25 PM

Keeper should have done better tbh.

Cripps_orig
29-09-2012, 03:25 PM
:lol: right. So we'll be blaming defenders for unlucky deflections for the rest of time. I'll bear that in mind. But I guess this was all in the spirit of the +1 so fair enough. Koscielny is the world's worst defender.

Well no.

It is completely different to a deflection as you well know. It wasnt a shot blasted in, hit Kos and went in. That would be unlucky. It was a cross.

It was a mistimed kick and he fucked up. You keep the +1s coming though

Dennis Bendtner
29-09-2012, 03:34 PM
http://i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/newsfeed/000/154/912/berneydidnotread.gif?1318992465

Özim
29-09-2012, 03:40 PM
Looks like things are back to normal, ah well it was good while it lasted.

jelgoon
29-09-2012, 03:41 PM
i disagree. I dont think he's that good- he is quite slow and immobile at times and wasnt particularly good in the European match. Bottom line is that we are not good defensively in key matches and its down to the manager.
dropping Mertz was the key to this loss

Özim
29-09-2012, 03:43 PM
We seem to have gone from people thinking everything had changed defensively to them thinking we're no better than usual.

It always a good idea to wait to see how things pan out in a season before jumping to conclusions on whether things have changed.

I personally don't see how losing 2 1st teamers and bringing in 3 (only 2 of which are really proven) can suddenly make us a lot better, especially when one of the players we lost was one of the best forwards around.

We didn't invest enough in the summer and in the end it'll cost us just like it always does.

jelgoon
29-09-2012, 03:43 PM
Jack may make a difference when he comes back but the most important thing this week was the £35million profit, most of which will be distributed to Kroenke. Thats all that counts.

Looks like things are back to normal, ah well it was good while it lasted.

jelgoon
29-09-2012, 03:45 PM
i still think Kos is better than Mertersacker. Mert will be killed for pace in Europe.

Well no.

It is completely different to a deflection as you well know. It wasnt a shot blasted in, hit Kos and went in. That would be unlucky. It was a cross.

It was a mistimed kick and he fucked up. You keep the +1s coming though

Özim
29-09-2012, 03:46 PM
Jack may make a difference when he comes back but the most important thing this week was the £35million profit, most of which will be distributed to Kroenke. Thats all that counts.
Yeah, it's been that way for a number of years now, been a great week off the pitch that's for sure.

hobson's choice
29-09-2012, 03:57 PM
We just don't have a great attacking player, to offset that, we need better collective play, there was no cohesiveness today. Seems like this squad still hasn't gel yet.

And also, I keep harping on this, but we better contribution from our fullbacks in the attack, they see too much off the ball, to not be able to produce something.

Olivier's xmas twist
29-09-2012, 03:58 PM

This. Once Wenger never spent that money we were fucked anyways.

We seem to have gone from people thinking everything had changed defensively to them thinking we're no better than usual.

It always a good idea to wait to see how things pan out in a season before jumping to conclusions on whether things have changed.

I personally don't see how losing 2 1st teamers and bringing in 3 (only 2 of which are really proven) can suddenly make us a lot better, especially when one of the players we lost was one of the best forwards around.

We didn't invest enough in the summer and in the end it'll cost us just like it always does.

Spot on, although we were not as bad as the chavs, the diffrence in quality showed. If we bought a llorente he puts away that chace Giroud did not. You buy a replacement for Song, he does what needs top be done. Its not about Selling players, its about replacing them with quality and it showed.

We may be lucky enough to go and win the CC, but if we want to win the league, we have to have better players for the whole season.

Cripps_orig
29-09-2012, 04:01 PM
i still think Kos is better than Mertersacker. Mert will be killed for pace in Europe.

But he never gets in a position where he is outpaced

Mert is the better defender. Kos is the better player. Defending is the problem so Mert>Kos

Newguy
29-09-2012, 04:03 PM
i disagree. I dont think he's that good- he is quite slow and immobile at times and wasnt particularly good in the European match. Bottom line is that we are not good defensively in key matches and its down to the manager.

i thought the same, but this team needs a calm head and someone that can organise the back line especially in defence and verm and kos are not good together. So far this season mertz has bun our best cb and was the best cb against city, what reason does he get dropped?

Olivier's xmas twist
29-09-2012, 04:04 PM
But he never gets in a position where he is outpaced

Mert is the better defender. Kos is the better player. Defending is the problem so Mert>Kos

Kos is better in Europe and Merts in the EPL.

hobson's choice
29-09-2012, 04:09 PM
We may be lucky enough to go and win the CC, but if we want to win the league, we have to have better players for the whole season.

This is it, we need top players in key position, mainly striker, but as a unit, there's no real consistent flow or rhythm to their play.

I remember the 06-07 season, even tho the talent level wasn't as high as the previous years, and they struggled at times. There was a definite style of play, a rhythm to our game, they were creating chances, they just couldn't score.

Injury Time
29-09-2012, 04:12 PM
We out shit them.

jelgoon
29-09-2012, 04:24 PM
Its true. The fact is that had RVC been given that Giroud half-chance at the end, he would have rounded the keeper and smashed it in. He would never have missed that.

We just don't have a great attacking player, to offset that, we need better collective play, there was no cohesiveness today. Seems like this squad still hasn't gel yet.

And also, I keep harping on this, but we better contribution from our fullbacks in the attack, they see too much off the ball, to not be able to produce something.

Olivier's xmas twist
29-09-2012, 04:32 PM
This is it, we need top players in key position, mainly striker, but as a unit, there's no real consistent flow or rhythm to their play.

I remember the 06-07 season, even tho the talent level wasn't as high as the previous years, and they struggled at times. There was a definite style of play, a rhythm to our game, they were creating chances, they just couldn't score.

I don't think Chelsea were that much better then us, they just had better quality then us and in the end it forced us to make silly decisions. don't think it would have made a diffrence who played today.

Santi had a poor game today Poldi was not his best game either. You need leaders to pick it up when guys like these don't.

hobson's choice
29-09-2012, 05:29 PM
I don't think Chelsea were that much better then us, they just had better quality then us and in the end it forced us to make silly decisions. don't think it would have made a diffrence who played today.

Santi had a poor game today Poldi was not his best game either. You need leaders to pick it up when guys like these don't.

They weren't better than us at all, but in a game like this, where the team as whole is not playing well. This is where that great talented player comes, to conjure up something out of nothing, and right now we just don't have it. I'm not knocking anyone or their efforts. But it is what it is, we that dynamic player, and we just don't have it.

She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
29-09-2012, 06:29 PM
yeah this 4-6-0 crap works away from home but against the top teams we need someone who stays up top. why the heck were we crossing the ball so much in the first half when we knew there was no-one to get on the end? we attack then realise we have no-one in the box, so slow right down again. gives the opposition time to get 10 men behind the ball. start with a proper striker ffs.

Özim
29-09-2012, 07:05 PM
9 points from 6 games, that's the equivalent of three defeats, that's a pretty louse start to the season IMO, Chelski already 7 points clear of us as well.

We're only two points better off than last season at this stage and last season was a disastrous start.

Ollie the Optimist
29-09-2012, 07:16 PM
9 points from 6 games, that's the equivalent of three defeats, that's a pretty louse start to the season IMO, Chelski already 7 points clear of us as well.

We're only two points better off than last season at this stage and last season was a disastrous start.

amazing how one defeat changes the whole perspective of the start. we really have to regroup and go all out, no game is an easy game however the next few prem games are easily winnable and we have to win them if we get to the united game with only one draw maximum and the rest wins we will be in a good place

Olivier's xmas twist
29-09-2012, 07:18 PM
9 points from 6 games, that's the equivalent of three defeats, that's a pretty louse start to the season IMO, Chelski already 7 points clear of us as well

Thats football, we could win the next 3 points and be within a couple of points behind the chavs. They always say give it 10 games then it tells you pretty much where you are.

fakeyank
29-09-2012, 07:19 PM
Thats football, we could win the next 3 points and be within a couple of points behind the chavs. They always say give it 10 games then it tells you pretty much where you are.

Who is this they?

Olivier's xmas twist
29-09-2012, 07:21 PM
amazing how one defeat changes the whole perspective of the start. we really have to regroup and go all out, no game is an easy game however the next few prem games are easily winnable and we have to win them if we get to the united game with only one draw maximum and the rest wins we will be in a good place

We got West ham Norwich and QPR before the mancs and we should win them all.

Olivier's xmas twist
29-09-2012, 07:21 PM
Who is this they?

Football pundits i guess.

Ollie the Optimist
29-09-2012, 07:22 PM
We got West ham Norwich and QPR before the mancs and we should win them all.

ah then nothing less then 9 points is acceptable. thought we had more games. my mistake

kas

Now spuds with 5 new signings all experienced internationals, look to have the better squad ! We'll see !

Ernesto
For many a season now, it seems like it's men against boys when we play Chelsea. In a way, it shuts up all the 'Drogba gives Arsenal problems' brigade because, truth be told, we've been dog-awful against Chelsea since 2005. Any good result we get against them is now a welcome surprise (see how we all reacted to last season's win at Stamford Bridge). It's embarrassing that in the 10 incarnations of manager that Chelsea have had since Wenger took over here, AW's only had the upper hand over about three of them. With the rest, it's a simple, tactical plan. 'Bully' Arsenal. Play just as you did last season. Whereas we, on the other hand, never prepare for Chelsea's strengths/weaknesses. It's clear as day.

The fact that we can never 'game-raise' ourselves for a London derby is a little bit embarrassing. Even f***ing Fulham would fare better.

Olivier's xmas twist
29-09-2012, 07:32 PM
Now spuds with 5 new signings all experienced internationals, look to have the better squad ! We'll see !

Not really, all they have done is replace modic and VDV, don't think they have better'd their squad.

Marc Overmars
29-09-2012, 07:47 PM

Performance wise it's not been that bad (although today was dreadful), we've got to start getting the wins on the board though. 2 wins from 6 is not great.

If last season taught us anything though it's that things can change very quickly.

gooners
29-09-2012, 08:02 PM
If last season taught us anything though it's that things can change very quickly.

in our case, we can turn shit very quickly :pray:

Ollie the Optimist
29-09-2012, 08:05 PM
in our case, we can turn shit very quickly :pray:

any particular reason you are praying we turn to shit? wumming twat

gooners
29-09-2012, 08:06 PM
any particular reason you are praying we turn to shit? wumming twat

wanker -- perhaps i was praying we don't? crossed your mind, ****?

Olivier's xmas twist
29-09-2012, 08:13 PM
Performance wise it's not been that bad (although today was dreadful), we've got to start getting the wins on the board though. 2 wins from 6 is not great.

This, We have not been too bad this season, just failed to take our chances. Getting 2 draws in our 1st to games was poor 2. But if today's game and the city game tells us anything, we need quality in the big games aginst the big teams.

Özim
29-09-2012, 08:14 PM

It's true that our performance have been quite good, we have however been "in form" and yet only picked up the equivalent of 3 wins in 6 games which on reflection isn't great.

Things can change, but I think the weakest part of our season is the tail end and thus a good start was essential IMO.

Olivier's xmas twist
29-09-2012, 08:17 PM
It's true that our performance have been quite good, we have however been "in form" and yet only picked up the equivalent of 3 wins in 6 games which on reflection isn't great.

Things can change, but I think the weakest part of our season is the tail end and thus a good start was essential IMO.

Nah we tend to finish strong, its the middle part we seem to flop, around feb-march.

End of the day, most have been brought back down to see where we are. we have 3 easy games and we should be winning them all.

Not really bothered about the table now, if its 20 games gone and we still have 9 points then its time to worry about form etc.

Olivier's xmas twist
29-09-2012, 08:19 PM
They weren't better than us at all, but in a game like this, where the team as whole is not playing well. This is where that great talented player comes, to conjure up something out of nothing, and right now we just don't have it. I'm not knocking anyone or their efforts. But it is what it is, we that dynamic player, and we just don't have it.

Spot on.

Power n Glory
29-09-2012, 08:34 PM
No idea why Wenger decided to drop Merts. He's been consistent and our best CB so far. He was excellent against City and based on that performance alone, he should have been one of the first players on the team sheet. If Ramsey keeps his spot after his last performance against City over Ox and Walcott, then surely Merts warrants a start for this game? This is the sort of thing from Wenger that worries me. He has favorites and will try to squeeze them into the starting line up regardless. He needs to cut that crap and play whoever is in form. Kos cost us this game. At fault for both goals and could have been 3-0 if wasn't Torres being Torres.

It wasn't a great performance from the squad and I have no idea why we weren't pressing Chelsea high up the pitch and making it difficult for them to get out of their own half. It worked wonders last season but we didn't approach the game in the same way this time round. Verms and Kos were pretty bad, Cazorla had an off game and struggled, Poldoski was quiet as usual but shouldn't have been subbed because he's still a threat. Ox had an off game too...how Giroud missed that last chance. Poor really. Chelsea weren't that good either but we just gifted them 3 points. On to the next game.

Olivier's xmas twist
29-09-2012, 08:36 PM
No idea why Wenger decided to drop Merts. He's been consistent and our best CB so far. He was excellent against City and based on that performance alone, he should have been one of the first players on the team sheet. If Ramsey keeps his spot after his last performance against City over Ox and Walcott, then surely Merts warrants a start for this game? This is the sort of thing from Wenger that worries me. He has favorites and will try to squeeze them into the starting line up regardless. He needs to cut that crap and play whoever is in form. Kos cost us this game. At fault for both goals and could have been 3-0 if wasn't Torres being Torres.

It wasn't a great performance from the squad and I have no idea why we weren't pressing Chelsea high up the pitch and making it difficult for them to get out of their own half. It worked wonders last season but we didn't approach the game in the same way this time round. Verms and Kos were pretty bad, Cazorla had an off game and struggled, Poldoski was quiet as usual but shouldn't have been subbed because he's still a threat. Ox had an off game too...how Giroud missed that last chance. Poor really. Chelsea weren't that good either but we just gifted them 3 points. On to the next game.

:gp:

She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
29-09-2012, 09:04 PM
things can change very quickly but last season we had the best striker in the world spearheading our change.

this year we have giroud who without sounding disrespectful cant hit a cows arse with a banjo.

Grebbo
29-09-2012, 09:10 PM
I thought we were really poor. We looked like we'd played Barca away the day before and had 9 players on the pitch.

Hopefully it's a one off.

Still very worried that we don't have a striker in the squad.

Kos makes terrible mistakes. Two goals were his fault today and he conceded a pen and set up Tevez for the winner in his previous game (but luck was on our side).

Olivier's xmas twist
29-09-2012, 09:11 PM
things can change very quickly but last season we had the best striker in the world spearheading our change.

this year we have giroud who without sounding disrespectful cant hit a cows arse with a banjo.

Funny you say that, been thinking the same thing tonight, we actually don't have a world class striker in this team and i include poldi in that. Yes we have been scoring goals but when you really need them, you need that world class striker.

Thought watching RVP today, well lets say it may not be him anymore.

Ollie the Optimist
29-09-2012, 09:27 PM
I thought we were really poor. We looked like we'd played Barca away the day before and had 9 players on the pitch.

Hopefully it's a one off.

Still very worried that we don't have a striker in the squad.

Kos makes terrible mistakes. Two goals were his fault today and he conceded a pen and set up Tevez for the winner in his previous game (but luck was on our side).

think its slightly unfair to put all the blame on kos, yes they were horrific mistakes, however verm gave the two free kicks away because he was caught out of position. both cbs to blame, perhaps kos more to blame but hsouldnt have given away free kicks in first place

Grebbo
29-09-2012, 09:33 PM
One thing is for certain: Kos and Verm should never be played together again if Merts is fit.

Marc Overmars
29-09-2012, 09:37 PM
think its slightly unfair to put all the blame on kos, yes they were horrific mistakes, however verm gave the two free kicks away because he was caught out of position. both cbs to blame, perhaps kos more to blame but hsouldnt have given away free kicks in first place

If Djourou made the mistakes Kos did today, somehow I doubt he'd be given this reprieve of pointing out his partner giving away the freekicks. He'd get slaughtered and rightly so.

Have a rest mate, Kos had a 'mare today but that doesn't mean he's the new Stepanovs.

Olivier's xmas twist
29-09-2012, 09:50 PM
If Djourou made the mistakes Kos did today, somehow I doubt he'd be given this reprieve of pointing out his partner giving away the freekicks. He'd get slaughtered and rightly so.

Have a rest mate, Kos had a 'mare today but that doesn't mean he's the new Stepanovs.

We win as a team, we loose as a team. Kos was dire but TV 5 gave away stupid Fk's when he should know better. However Kos should have defended them better then he did.

She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
29-09-2012, 09:51 PM
koscielny was shit end of.

kept giving the ball away, was pushed around all game by donkey torres and in general looked like a rabbit in headlights.

if we're blaming verm for the free kick leading to the goal then lets blame arteta for losing the ball in the middle in the first place. get a grip.

have no problem testing the kos-verm circus act but not against the european champions.

Olivier's xmas twist
29-09-2012, 09:54 PM
koscielny was shit end of.

kept giving the ball away, was pushed around all game by donkey torres and in general looked like a rabbit in headlights.

if we're blaming verm for the free kick leading to the goal then lets blame arteta for losing the ball in the middle in the first place. get a grip.

have no problem testing the kos-verm circus act but not against the european champions.
Prevention is better then cure.

Marc Overmars
29-09-2012, 09:56 PM
Philosophical Charlie. :bow:

She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
29-09-2012, 09:57 PM
jesus these highlights get worse.

people pointing fingers and no-one marking from set pieces.

shocking.

She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
29-09-2012, 09:57 PM
Prevention is better then cure.

learnt a lot from those rehab classes i see

Olivier's xmas twist
29-09-2012, 10:05 PM

shocking.

http://gunnersphere.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/Arsenal-training-Steve-Bould_2805368-300x225.jpg

Cripps_orig
29-09-2012, 10:28 PM

shocking.

You are watching MOTD? Damn man, to watch it live was bad enough but to watch highlights? You sir are mentally strong

Niall_Quinn
29-09-2012, 11:17 PM
Very simple game, Chelsea weren't better than Arsenal on any level really, it's just Arsenal is missing those one or two special players in the attack.

A game like this, RVP, Cesc, Henry, Pires, would've created something out of nothing, but we don't have that

Exactly how I saw it. The selling policy has taken its toll. That final chance for Giroud summed it all up.

She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
29-09-2012, 11:23 PM
Exactly how I saw it. The selling policy has taken its toll.

http://www.setanta.com/Global/Images/sport/football/2011-2012/Premier%20League/Arsenal/Arsene%20Wenger/WengerArsene_Smiles.jpg

Xhaka Can’t
29-09-2012, 11:32 PM
Exactly how I saw it. The selling policy has taken its toll. That final chance for Giroud summed it all up.

Hopefully Giroud will come good, because while the defensive blunders stick out today, there were more than enough chances to win the game had we been more composed in the top third of the pitch.

Maybe it will start to click for him - I certainly hope so.

Niall_Quinn
29-09-2012, 11:35 PM
Hopefully Giroud will come good, because while the defensive blunders stick out today, there were more than enough chances to win the game had we been more composed in the top third of the pitch.

Maybe it will start to click for him - I certainly hope so.

The worrying thing is he needs to improve a fair bit to get to Bendtner's level. Can't see how this guy is a step forward or even a halfway measure for the loss of a proper striker. He reminds me a bit of Sherringham but without the eye for goal. A hard working, intelligent but ultimately useless player. He still has time, but even Chamakh started better than this.

Xhaka Can’t
29-09-2012, 11:40 PM
The worrying thing is he needs to improve a fair bit to get to Bendtner's level. Can't see how this guy is a step forward or even a halfway measure for the loss of a proper striker. He reminds me a bit of Sherringham but without the eye for goal. A hard working, intelligent but ultimately useless player. He still has time, but even Chamakh started better than this.

He managed to finish his chances in France, but yeh, it is going exceptionally bad for him now. You can see that he is feeling the pressure but he continues to work hard which is the one positive so far. I think he can come good - at least I hope so.

Niall_Quinn
29-09-2012, 11:58 PM
He managed to finish his chances in France, but yeh, it is going exceptionally bad for him now. You can see that he is feeling the pressure but he continues to work hard which is the one positive so far. I think he can come good - at least I hope so.

In an interview he also said he hadn't expected to be starting and assumed he'd get more time to settle. That's not exactly a striker chomping at the bit. On teh other hand it could be a journo making shit up.

Kano
30-09-2012, 12:09 AM
djourou said bould was very influential in the recent improvement in our defence and while it may take a while to smooth out the defensive lapses, we can at least have faith in bould working hard to work on them.

podolski will score 15 or so goals but with no consistent scorer seemingly in the squad our draw column could be pretty big this season.

Kyle?
30-09-2012, 12:11 AM
You know your CF is pretty poor if Gervinho is your top scorer. We really should have considered Llorente as a serious option. If Ba is available in January, even he would be worth a look. Wasn't convinced by Giroud when we signed him, still not convinced now.

jelgoon
30-09-2012, 12:16 AM
It wasnt an easy chance at all but RVC would have scored it 9 times out of 10, So would Rooney. Torres may have scored it or may have missed it altogether and fallen over.

jelgoon
30-09-2012, 12:18 AM
its so early to judge him - we have only played 6 games.I still think Podolski could score quite a few - cant understand why he was taken off today at all.

Kyle?
30-09-2012, 12:23 AM
its so early to judge him - we have only played 6 games.I still think Podolski could score quite a few - cant understand why he was taken off today at all.

Chamakh did make a better 1st impression though. I don't see why we don't start him, it couldn't be any worse. Or even Recall fatty (Bendtner)

Cripps_orig
30-09-2012, 12:24 AM
Apparently we are only allowed to play one out and out striker when we are losing

Wenger logic :bow:

McNamara That Ghost...
30-09-2012, 07:21 AM
I think my annoyance has gone now. We're not going to attain our usual 70ish points by winning every game. :whistle:

Alpha
30-09-2012, 08:29 AM
We have read the " fuck" , the " welcome back Arsenal " , the " I'm really pissed " , etc.. etc.. They are just emotional reaction after an unexpected and disappointed defeat . A loss is always a loss . Having played badly or not , there are 3 points dropped .
This is the same team we cheered up with joy a few days ago . We can't lose hope this soon as the way is still long . Every team will have their ups and downs . Yesterday was ours and United's .
Back to the game , I was not shocked for the result . I wasn't expecting us to lose in the first place . But when I saw the line-up it changed my mind strait away . Gervinho , despite his good goal shouldn't have started as CF . He is too lightweight and clueless to trouble a weightlifter defense of Chelsea . Giroud should have started the game . Or I would have preferred Theo as he has a good record against them and his pace and finishing ability could have push them back .
Our best central defense pairing has proven to be either Metersacker and Verm or Metersacker and Kos . Why change this ? The German is a good game reader and a good defense organizer . Why put him on the bench for such a crucial game ?
Theo on the right could have reduced Ashley threat and push Chelsea back . Gibbs showed he was having a bad day . It would have been wise to replace him with Santos .

My line-up would have been:
Manone
Jenkinson Metersacker TV5 Gibbs ( then Santos)

Arteta Carzola Diaby

Walcott Podolski

Giroud

Boss
30-09-2012, 09:08 AM
Funny you say that, been thinking the same thing tonight, we actually don't have a world class striker in this team and i include poldi in that. Yes we have been scoring goals but when you really need them, you need that world class striker.

Thought watching RVP today, well lets say it may not be him anymore.

Chelsea don't have a world class striker and they're top of the league.

Every team will lose games, how we react to this will tell us a lot about this team.

Marc Overmars
30-09-2012, 09:29 AM
You know your CF is pretty poor if Gervinho is your top scorer. We really should have considered Llorente as a serious option. If Ba is available in January, even he would be worth a look. Wasn't convinced by Giroud when we signed him, still not convinced now.

I would certainly go after Ba in January. Especially if it becomes apparent Theo is going to leave.

Daniele
30-09-2012, 09:46 AM
It certainly wasn't our best performance but I don't think we deserved to lose though. We had the chances to equalise and gifted their goals. Chelsea were superior in controlling the game, they played more assured and found Torres and Cech in fine form.

As for us, we all know we are competing for 4th. Dropping Mertesacker was wrong, he gives stability to the back four whereas Verm and Kos should be stopping going forward like heedless chickens when the game is still on. Jenkinson was our best player - think Sagna will leave in the summer.

Our passing was slack and Ramsey had a shocker as usual. Don't see him as a starter. Chambo was poor and our lack of a threatening CF was there for all to see when Giroud...well...:banghead:

Olivier's xmas twist
30-09-2012, 09:59 AM
Chelsea don't have a world class striker and they're top of the league.

Every team will lose games, how we react to this will tell us a lot about this team.

This is my point, The diffrence is they they had quality players in at least every place yesterday we did not.

Yesterday showed me Giroud is going to take long to settle, Poldi may not score goals then 15 this season. Should have gone for a llorente type striker if were not going to put Theo up top.

I agree how we react will tell us about this team, id still back us to get top 4.

Joker
30-09-2012, 10:04 AM
Who negatively repped this post of mine?

Don't think it was such a bad post that it deserved negative repping. If you disagree fine (others have said Ramsey did better on the right compared to in central midfield, which is fair enough) but at least respond rather than anonymously criticise the post.

Xhaka Can’t
30-09-2012, 10:31 AM
Yeah, I don't completely agree with that post, but even if I disagreed with it, there is nothing there to negatively rep it.

But I did anyway.

Olivier's xmas twist
30-09-2012, 10:34 AM
Im sure we will all get Negative repped is that not what the system is there for. If were going to complain then we'd be better off doing away with the whole thing.

Olivier's xmas twist
30-09-2012, 10:54 AM

Problem with Ba he may be off to the Acon for a month in jan, so not sure it would make sense to get him.

Xhaka Can’t
30-09-2012, 11:04 AM
I watched the match last night and I don't believe the performance merits a great deal of doom and gloom - we had the chances to win this match, but if we are going to continue to defend freekicks like we did yesterday then we are going to get many more adverse results, and quite frankly, if we defend innocuous freekicks in such a fashion, we deserve to lose.

This is an aspect of our game I hope Bould can get sorted pronto. I suspect it will be high on his agenda.

V-Pig
30-09-2012, 11:59 AM
Im sure we will all get Negative repped is that not what the system is there for. If were going to complain then we'd be better off doing away with the whole thing.

Easy for you to say, number 1!

Joker
30-09-2012, 12:09 PM
Yeah, I don't completely agree with that post, but even if I disagreed with it, there is nothing there to negatively rep it.

But I did anyway.

:lol:

LDG
30-09-2012, 01:17 PM
Sloppy as fuck. Only way i can describe that match. A game we could easily have won with better application.

Well pissed off.

Maestro
30-09-2012, 02:09 PM
City were there for the taking and so were Chelsea yesterday, what happens????.....well you guessed it

I have definately come round to NQ & Zimm's school of thought ...fuck them, fuck the lot of them

right, a beer and a spliff ..good to go

Niall_Quinn
30-09-2012, 06:31 PM

But I did anyway.

Don't feel too hard about it, I'd have negatively repped it too even though I didn't read it - except I don't know how and can't be in the least bit bothered to find out. I think it's good you are contributing and I wouldn't pay any attention to small minded people who are going to complain no matter what you do.

Olivier's xmas twist
30-09-2012, 08:20 PM
Easy for you to say, number 1!

Well no, its not about being no1 or no 20. Its a system all agreed to, therefore i don't see the need for moaning just because your not happy with getting a negative.

Xhaka Can’t
30-09-2012, 08:40 PM
Well no, its not about being no1 or no 20. Its a system all agreed to, therefore i don't see the need for moaning just because your not happy with getting a negative.

:sarcy:

Not that I care, (about the system) but you have to question the reasoning of the poster who negatively repped the post Joker is referring to.

Olivier's xmas twist
30-09-2012, 08:54 PM
:sarcy:

Not that I care, but you have to question the reasoning of the poster who negatively repped the post Joker is referring to.

Fair point.

IBK
01-10-2012, 11:22 AM
Some thoughts?

Mannone was at fault throughout for failing to organise his defence. This lack of communication was compounded by Mertesacker being dropped, as up until now, when Mannone's played he's done the job for the keeper.

The result could easily be seen as the difference between the two team's GK's. Cech kept them in the game with a great save. Mannone failed to do so for their second.

Kos and Verms don't sit right together, but even so haven't played either together, or with the keeper this season. Making 2 changes (Verms changing position as well), was not a great idea when playing the likely league champions at home. That said, I can understand why with the pace that the Chavs had AW wanted to use 2 quick CB's - but it backfired.

Diaby going off so early was a blow to our plans going forwards. If he had played, he would have drawn their MF's out of position and created more space for Santi to work in.

We are 2 points ahead of where we were last season when RVC was playing for us. We are still a work in progress, and the team is still finding its balance. Our most creative pairing to date has been Carzola and Podolski - and we have to give credit to Chelsea for keeping this very quiet. However, they have a very settled, experienced and effective defence, and we were always going to struggle to create openings. I still have faith that between Carzola; Podolski; Gervinho and Giroud we can share the goals that RVC scored for us last season.

Giroud is trying too hard. He has been restricted to bit parts this season, and needs to find understanding with our other players, and his scoring boots. Unlike Chamakh his scoring record in France was very good. Too soon to write him off, IMO. Torres missed almost as easy a chance.

Not a good day in the office, but no need to hit panic stations yet, IMO.

LDG
01-10-2012, 12:03 PM
It's not the defeat that rankles. It's the manner of it.

Careless and sloppy from manager to players.

It's slightly easier to take if you get fairly beaten, but if we are serious about winning shit, you have to be taking three points from City and three points from Chelsea. We were more than capable of both.

selassie
01-10-2012, 12:07 PM
Chelsea really surprised me, they were not great but were extremely efficient and very good on the ball, they looked technically superior to us...which kind of surprised me...but given they have invested a lot of money in highly technical players it should not be that surprising.

Onto the game, I felt we struggled from the word go, we never really got into our Rhythm and seemed to be chasing the game from the off. Chelsea pretty much dominated midfield. I thought both our CB's really struggled, they were getting pulled all over the place and Torres to an extent bullied both of them. Defensively we were really poor...it was like watching the Arsenal 'Defence' of last season. Kos, Tommy V & Mannone all put in horrible performances, the full backs came out of the game with credit, especially Jenkinson who put in another great performance.

As said above, we are "very much a work in progress" and to some extent Saturday highlighted how much work we really have to do to stay up there with the likes of Chelsea, Man U & City. Yes we played the other Sunday at City but I think Saturday was a bit of a reality check TBH...we still feel at least 1 or 2 top quality players light of being genuine contenders.

Olivier's xmas twist
01-10-2012, 12:32 PM
It's not the defeat that rankles. It's the manner of it.

Careless and sloppy from manager to players.

It's slightly easier to take if you get fairly beaten, but if we are serious about winning shit, you have to be taking three points from City and three points from Chelsea. We were more than capable of both.

were not going to win the league and we all know that, so like you say losing to chavs would not have been bad if they has bossed the game etc. Problem is when our top players like Carzola like Poldi etc don't have good games, the team seemed not too.

TV 5 who is an expreinced defender should not have given away stupid Fk's that you expect Johan D to. As much as a scumbag terry is even he would not have been so stupid.

This squad is good enough to win a cup imo.

Power n Glory
01-10-2012, 12:55 PM
Vermaelen is reckless and when age starts to catch up with him, he's going to be a shit defender if he thinks he can keep charging into tackles and beating players to the ball. He reminds me of Toure in that sense.

A piece from Zonal Marking.

http://www.zonalmarking.net/2012/09/29/arsenal-1-2-chelsea/

Arsenal 1-2 Chelsea: both sides vulnerable down their left
September 29, 2012

The line-ups after Oxlade-Chamberlain replaced Diaby through injury in the first half. Chelsea's attacking three switched position throughout

Chelsea stay at the top of the table after scoring two goals from free-kicks.

Arsene Wenger went with the pace of Gervinho rather than the physicality of Olivier Giroud upfront, and continued with Aaron Ramsey on the right – although he had to shuffle into the middle after Abou Diaby’s injury.

Roberto Di Matteo left out Frank Lampard and continued with the front four that failed to click against Stoke last weekend, with three versatile playmakers behind Fernando Torres.

This wasn’t an inspiring game – none of the playmakers were on top form, and neither side played good football.

Formations

The sides set up as expected, roughly 4-2-3-1 against 4-2-3-1. A clear issue was the lack of natural width high up the pitch – when Chelsea play Oscar, Juan Mata and Eden Hazard together (rather than using Ramires or Ryan Bertrand as a runner on one flank) their play becomes too congested.

Arsenal’s problem with width was different – Ramsey naturally played narrow on the right, although he did get the beating of Ashley Cole a couple of times early on. On the other flank, Lukas Podolski tended to attack directly towards goal rather than staying wide. Both sides also defended narrow without the ball too, which opened up space on the flanks for the full-backs to advance.

Midfield

The midfield battle was relatively uninteresting. Ramires played a disciplined role alongside Jon Obi Mikel, with those two forming a secure shield in front of the back four. Arsenal’s system was more fluid, with Mikel Arteta and Diaby taking it in turns to stay deep while the other pressed.

The key feature in this zone was the role of Oscar, who troubled Arteta with his high positioning – a couple of times Arteta became so deep that he ended up leaving the Brazilian to the centre-backs, and Oscar should also be praised for his defensive work. He got booked for a late tackle, but Arteta’s influence upon the game was considerably less than usual, and after a similarly fine performance against Andrea Pirlo, it’s clear that Oscar is a disciplined player as well as a creator.

Left-backs

The key feature was both sides’ vulnerability in their left-back zone.

Arsenal’s problem on that side is a long-standing issue – ZM has written on the impetuousness of Thomas Vermaelen many times before, but when paired on that side of the defence by Kieran Gibbs (or Andre Santos, for that matter), both left-sided defenders are very keen to come towards the ball. Gibbs, shares his predecessor Gael Clichy’s habit of trying to steam in front of opponents to win the ball cleanly.

Neither player’s style is an issue in isolation, but when combined it means Arsenal can be opened up too easily down that side, especially with Podolski offering little support. Oscar tended to drift that way too, and Chelsea created a couple of half-chances with neat but simple interplay to get in behind the defence – an early cross across the face of the goal showed this danger.

This was also a problem area for the goals, as both free-kicks were conceded by unnecessary Vermaelen challenges. It’s fair to blame others (particularly Laurent Koscielny, who defended poorly at both) but Chelsea’s interplay was rightly focused down their right against that part of the Arsenal back four.

At the other end, Ashley Cole received very little protection throughout the game – Hazard was generally on that side, although the rotating nature of that band of three means other players were often guilty of staying too high up the pitch.

Cole was beaten by both Ramsey and Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain and space also opened up on the flank for Carl Jenkinson to cross. A lot of Arsenal’s early deliveries from that wing were low, cleared and greeted with groans from the home crowd – but it’s difficult to know what the crosser was supposed to do when regularly faced with Gervinho and Santi Cazorla up against John Terry, David Luiz and Branislav Ivanovic in the middle – aerial crosses are unlikely to be successful. In the end, the equaliser came from an Oxlade-Chamberlain low cross to Gervinho when Terry and Luiz both towards the six-yard box, leaving Gervinho free for a pull-back.

Subs

It was a surprise that Di Matteo waited so long before introducing Bertrand down the left to give Cole protection. For the second consecutive weekend, Victor Moses looked decent simply by offering natural width down the right.

Arsenal’s substitutions (Walcott for Ramsey with Oxlade-Chamberlain into the middle, and Giroud for Podolski with Gervinho wide) didn’t have a significant impact on the game. It was a shame to break up Podolski’s relationship with Gibbs going forward, which looked better in the second half, and Walcott had little influence after Bertrand’s arrival. Giroud should have scored late on after rounding Petr Cech.

More problematic was Arsenal’s lack of urgency without the ball when 2-1 down. After the substitutions, the front four stayed high up the pitch when the ball was played past them, but the other six players stayed deep – Arsenal were neither pressing as a unit, nor staying deep and compact. Chelsea often played past the first wave of pressure than had plenty of space to keep the ball in midfield, and slowed the tempo effectively for much of the second half.

Conclusion

Chelsea’s two goals were very similar – coming from free-kicks, conceded by Vermaelen, played to the far post where Koscielny defended poorly. The obvious conclusion is that Arsenal aren’t defending set-pieces effectively, especially having conceded from a corner against Manchester City last weekend.

Overall the main pattern was both sides being vulnerable in the left-back zones – neither Cole nor Gibbs received enough protection from ahead, while Vermaelen’s fouls furthered the problem for Arsenal down that side.

Olivier's xmas twist
01-10-2012, 01:03 PM
This was also a problem area for the goals, as both free-kicks were conceded by unnecessary Vermaelen challenges. It’s fair to blame others (particularly Laurent Koscielny, who defended poorly at both) but Chelsea’s interplay was rightly focused down their right against that part of the Arsenal back four.

Spot feckin on.

Cripps_orig
01-10-2012, 02:42 PM
As i said before, i cant remember the first FK but the 2nd one, Arteta lost the ball and Chelsea had bypassed our midfield and were attacking our defence with no protection. It was one of those cynical fouls we see all the time where a player is happy to give the foul away so we can get players back for the free kick and come back they did, unfortunately we forgot to keep Kos upfront and he kicked in for an OG

Olivier's xmas twist
01-10-2012, 03:03 PM
As i said before, i cant remember the first FK but the 2nd one, Arteta lost the ball and Chelsea had bypassed our midfield and were attacking our defence with no protection. It was one of those cynical fouls we see all the time where a player is happy to give the foul away so we can get players back for the free kick and come back they did, unfortunately we forgot to keep Kos upfront and he kicked in for an OG

Yeah Kos was at fault. but it could have easily gone another direction and whats to say Gibbs could have been the guy who did not mark it well.

Yes Kos should have defedning better, but if your going to give cynical fouls, then don't do it near your boxm do it near the halfway line.

Maybe Arteta should have bought his man down before it got to that stage.

Bould would have had faith in Kos, and as he has been teaching the boys how to defend im guessing Kos would have got a boot in the head.

GP
01-10-2012, 03:06 PM
Very little point pointing fingers tbh.

It wasn't good enough all round.

Cripps_orig
01-10-2012, 03:13 PM
Yeah Kos was at fault. but it could have easily gone another direction and whats to say Gibbs could have been the guy who did not mark it well.

Yes Kos should have defedning better, but if your going to give cynical fouls, then don't do it near your boxm do it near the halfway line.

Maybe Arteta should have bought his man down before it got to that stage.

Bould would have had faith in Kos, and as he has been teaching the boys how to defend im guessing Kos would have got a boot in the head.

Yes he was. Gibbs thing is pointless

Yes he should have. Um players dont have a choice of where to give cynical fouls away and it was given away in a position which most wouldnt consider dangerous. Although tbh most forgot we had Kos

Arteta lost the ball and was to slow to get back to foul anyone

Bould has been a failure and he needs to walk along with Wenger and Kos

Power n Glory
01-10-2012, 03:13 PM
Yep, agree with that. Collective errors and it cost us the game. But all involved need to sort their game out.

Power n Glory
01-10-2012, 03:17 PM

Yes he should have. Um players dont have a choice of where to give cynical fouls away and it was given away in a position which most wouldnt consider dangerous. Although tbh most forgot we had Kos

Yeah, Bould hasn't really lived up to the hype.

Cripps_orig
01-10-2012, 03:20 PM
No doubt we will be vilified for picking on Bould cos hes an Arsenal legend blah blah blah

Fact of the matter is we have conceded 4 goals this season, all down to defensive mistakes.

5 if you include the Monty goal

Hes had a shocker

Olivier's xmas twist
01-10-2012, 03:24 PM

:gp:

Cripps_orig
01-10-2012, 03:25 PM

The lengths people go to to protect their beloved Kos.

Olivier's xmas twist
01-10-2012, 03:27 PM

Exactly it was a dangerous place, there is nothing to say they would not havr scored, even if Kos did not mess up. When those ball come in they fall to anyone.

Olivier's xmas twist
01-10-2012, 03:28 PM

Well no, Only Jenko out of our denfenive unit had a good game the rest were shocking.

Cripps_orig
01-10-2012, 03:29 PM
Exactly it was a dangerous place, there is nothing to say they would not havr scored, even if Kos did not mess up. When those ball come in they fall to anyone.
He miskicked

Its his fault

/thread

Cripps_orig
01-10-2012, 03:30 PM
Well no, Only Jenko out of our denfenive unit had a good game the rest were shocking.

Verm and Gibbs were fine

Kos wasnt and he cost us both goals

Other than the 2 goals and when Kos should have given a pen away after his mong moment, we were comfortable. Difference was Kos.

Power n Glory
01-10-2012, 03:30 PM

He had a poor game. He's lucky Torres screwed up his one on one chance. Collective responsibility but that doesn't mean you get lost in the mist when you play crap. He needs to remember what league he's playing in because that performance brought back memories of his debut season.

Cripps_orig
01-10-2012, 03:33 PM
He had a poor game. He's lucky Torres screwed up his one on one chance. Collective responsibility but that doesn't mean you get lost in the mist when you play crap. He needs to remember what league he's playing in because that performance brought back memories of his debut season.

18 months tbh cos he was a bit shit for the first half of last season as well as games v Mancs and Blackburn will testify

However to his credit, he picked it up after Xmas and did really well when Mert was out but Kos is and never has been anything better than 3rd choice with us so when Mert is fit as he was v Chelsea, he should be played

Olivier's xmas twist
01-10-2012, 03:33 PM
Verm and Gibbs were fine

Kos wasnt and he cost us both goals

Other than the 2 goals and when Kos should have given a pen away after his mong moment, we were comfortable. Difference was Kos. End of

/thread

Yes its all Kos is fault we lost the game nout to do with the whole team being poor.

Cripps_orig
01-10-2012, 03:34 PM
Yes its all Kos is fault we lost the game nout to do with the whole team being poor.

Pretty much.

We were a bit shit upfront as well of course but we did score and had Kos not gone back to normal, we'd have won 1-0 without playing well.

Power n Glory
01-10-2012, 03:42 PM
Pretty much.

We were a bit shit upfront as well of course but we did score and had Kos not gone back to normal, we'd have won 1-0 without playing well.

A bit harsh. But if you look back to the early draws we had and the game against City, we didn't make so many defensive so we at least came away with a point. Kos cost us the game. We were a bit toothless in attack, but it was the same for our first two games. A well drilled defensive team will nullify our attacks so we need to be a lot better on defence.

Xhaka Can’t
01-10-2012, 04:39 PM

You'll never win keyboard warrior points with an attitude like that.

Sent from my HTC One S using Tapatalk 2

GP
01-10-2012, 04:42 PM
You'll never win keyboard warrior points with an attitude like that.

Sent from my HTC One S using Tapatalk 2

your gay

McNamara That Ghost...
01-10-2012, 05:56 PM
Cripps, there's no need for the ridiculous sniping of Koscielny and people who might have dared to praise him. If you don't rate him, fine, you're entitled to that view but you aren't entitled to mock those that don't.

Cripps_orig
01-10-2012, 06:04 PM
Just a bit of friendly football banter tbh.

They do likewise with me tbh with Theo or whoever

She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
01-10-2012, 06:33 PM
No doubt we will be vilified for picking on Bould cos hes an Arsenal legend blah blah blah

Fact of the matter is we have conceded 4 goals this season, all down to defensive mistakes.

5 if you include the Monty goal

Hes had a shocker

no way

the change in shape and organisation has all been down to bould

not his fault chez already thinks he's big time and cant catch a ball. or that kos is a clumsy oaf

train the players all you want but when they cant follow simple instructions its their fault.

blame wenger for being daft enough to pick kos-verm to overcomplicate things

we've improved a lot and bould is only having half the input as assistant manager. replace wenger with bould he'll have total control and we'll improve another gear.

not to mention he wont be stupid enough to sell players without replacing.

wenger out.

Kano
01-10-2012, 09:14 PM
i can't really take that criticism of bould too seriously yet. the difference to our defensive game is obvious - most importantly our shape in open play is far better.

you don't completely sort out problems in a defensive approach to the game in a handful of matches - certainly not when they have existed for years.

wengers time is up but bould in for wenger? have a word.

Cripps_orig
01-10-2012, 09:27 PM
I wouldnt want Bould in for Wenger.

Love the guy but we need a big name to right the wrongs

Olivier's xmas twist
01-10-2012, 09:31 PM
I wouldnt want Bould in for Wenger.

Love the guy but we need a big name to right the wrongs

Spot on, its silly to even say that.

Its ok though cause Pep is taking over next season.

Cripps_orig
01-10-2012, 09:32 PM
Spot on, its silly to even say that.

Its ok though cause Pep is taking over next season.

I said a big name

Ollie the Optimist
01-10-2012, 09:41 PM
this time last year we had conceded almost 20 goals with the same defence. this year we have conceded 5. two of which you cannot blame the defence for but instead vermaelen and chesney.

so its pretty dam obvious bould has made an improvement

Xhaka Can’t
01-10-2012, 09:42 PM
I want an effective Management team.

We had that, and we didn't have a 'big name' among them.

Cripps_orig
01-10-2012, 09:42 PM
this time last year we had conceded almost 20 goals with the same defence. this year we have conceded 5. two of which you cannot blame the defence for but instead vermaelen and chesney.

so its pretty dam obvious bould has made an improvement
Um what?

You do realise they are part of the defence?