PDA

View Full Version : Match reaction vs Olympiakos

Marc Overmars
03-10-2012, 08:41 PM
Improved 2nd half but a bit drab overall. Littered with errors and sloppy play all over the pitch.

Still, 2 wins out of 2. :dance:

Hope we're better on the weekend because we might get punished otherwise.

McNamara That Ghost...
03-10-2012, 08:44 PM
Scratchy as anything. Always find a way in the CL group stage games though.

Always good to get a win by hook or by crook following a defeat.

LDG
03-10-2012, 08:46 PM
Lacked a focal point in the first half. Podolski gave us a better outlet feom the start of the second.

Struggled in the middle for the second game running, but i think that's because teams know how to pressure cazorla etc

We need to learn how to make use of the natural width we create by teams choking us in the middle. Better crossing and more support from the middle needed.

Syn
03-10-2012, 08:48 PM
Gervinho :bow:

5 goals in 7 games.

Fantastic start to the season by the fanny.

Joker
03-10-2012, 08:50 PM
Very important win but a dodgy performance, especially in the first half.

Master Splinter
03-10-2012, 08:51 PM
Gervinho :bow:.

Giroud is at least racking up the assists.

GHELkinson awlsome again. Finland's best ever player?

fakeyank
03-10-2012, 08:56 PM
Ramsey's finish was brilliant!

Olivier's xmas twist
03-10-2012, 08:56 PM
Not the best performance but whats important is getting the points and we did. We have to learn from these games. But on to West ham we go.

GP
03-10-2012, 08:58 PM
Lacked a focal point in the first half. Podolski gave us a better outlet feom the start of the second.

Struggled in the middle for the second game running, but i think that's because teams know how to pressure cazorla etc

We need to learn how to make use of the natural width we create by teams choking us in the middle. Better crossing and more support from the middle needed.

Kano
03-10-2012, 09:01 PM
pretty ropey but a wins a win.

west ham will be fired up for sunday - expect a few knocks to our players.

Kano
03-10-2012, 09:07 PM

litmanen says yes

LDG
03-10-2012, 09:28 PM

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Özim
03-10-2012, 09:34 PM
Couldn't have said it better myself.

IBK
03-10-2012, 10:33 PM
Europe's getting harder, and we're trying to settle as a team. Not great but noone's playing great yet.

Olivier's xmas twist
03-10-2012, 10:39 PM
Europe's getting harder, and we're trying to settle as a team. Not great but noone's playing great yet.

:gp:

Syn
03-10-2012, 10:48 PM
:gp:

It is.

The numbers don't lie though - we need to find a way of not pissing away goals (and points) because even though nobody is playing great, we're already 7 points off the pace in the league. In Europe I'm never worried about the group stages - the low-to-middle range teams don't like playing Arsenal because we can take them on technical ability.

Niall_Quinn
03-10-2012, 10:54 PM

They'll have to worry about Jack and Sicknote (for one game at least) when they return so they'll be a bit fucked. Apart from Stoke who will just kick everyone as usual. Cazorla had three men on him at times tonight, he should press charges. Coquelin was shite, it needed him to play much better for the middle to grab hold , but he didn't. Instead he decided to give the ball away all the time.

Niall_Quinn
03-10-2012, 10:55 PM

City are playing great, at least in terms of what I would consider great. A lose and a draw, It's just fucking great whatever way you look at it. Apart from Joker who is a City fan.

Olivier's xmas twist
03-10-2012, 11:04 PM
City are playing great, at least in terms of what I would consider great. A lose and a draw, It's just fucking great whatever way you look at it. Apart from Joker who is a City fan.

Racist :coffee:

Olivier's xmas twist
03-10-2012, 11:06 PM
It is.

The numbers don't lie though - we need to find a way of not pissing away goals (and points) because even though nobody is playing great, we're already 7 points off the pace in the league. In Europe I'm never worried about the group stages - the low-to-middle range teams don't like playing Arsenal because we can take them on technical ability.

was thinking about the CL tbh, No team is easy these days, no one seems to have set the bar tbh, that does not mean we should accept that because others are not playing good.

server too busy!
04-10-2012, 08:02 AM
I think Giroud needs to be starting these days. We're really struggling to hold the ball up top otherwise and it means we struggle to keep possession in dangerous areas, this improved greatly when he came on.

Good result and good finish by Ramsey....which celebrity's going to die this time?

Also Ox has been a bit leave it, maybe time for Theo to return?

Poldi is very quiet at times but when he gets a chance he scores, what happened to the link up play between him and Cazorla.

LDG
04-10-2012, 08:25 AM
Poldi is very quiet at times but when he gets a chance he scores, what happened to the link up play between him and Cazorla.

There was a piece about him from his ex-international manager. Basically that, now he's in the big(ish) time, he needs to step up, and come out of the comfort zone.

We saw two Podolskis yesterday. The one who was waiting for the ball, and the one who went to get it. This is what turned the game for us, and we were desperate for an outlet.

I would like to see Giroud start more. I like him as a player. His movement last night was awesome....just a shame we can't cross the fucking thing. Was very unlucky for his two chance as well.

We have a class striker on our hands there. He just needs a few to go in to get his confindence up.

Fist of Lehmann
04-10-2012, 08:41 AM
I like Giroud also. I wouldn't say he is the most mobile or agile of centreforwards so he is heavily reliant on us hitting him accurately.
I think he has been a little bit unlucky. But I think everything he does is going to be be magnified, because he touches the ball so little (and that's partly down to service as well).
He needs game time, for him to understand the team and vice versa. But for now it's difficult because objectively you'd have to view the Floating Gervinho tactic as a success.

A couple of other points.

Ramsby in the YFB role :bow:
I prefer him here. He gives the ball away a lot so in a wider position, where there is more space and less pressure to be perfect technically it suits him better.

Vermaelen :sulk:
Plays in the 'false 5' role, a guy who lines up as a centreback but who runs off into midfield in order to confuse opposition attackers, fans and Steve Bould.

GP
04-10-2012, 09:06 AM
What do you mean by 'mobile'?

Are you talking about his pace? Because his movement and positioning are top class.

I've been really impressed with him.

Fist of Lehmann
04-10-2012, 09:17 AM
What do you mean by 'mobile'?

Are you talking about his pace? Because his movement and positioning are top class.

I've been really impressed with him.Yes, his pace and his ability to change direction rapidly.

Marc Overmars
04-10-2012, 09:18 AM
Also Ox has been a bit leave it, maybe time for Theo to return?

Whisper it but I think Oxlade is getting by on reputation alone at the moment, I don't think he's really making much of an impression on matches right now. I'd like to see Theo given more chances because he's the one with it all prove.

Marc Overmars
04-10-2012, 09:31 AM
Yes, his pace and his ability to change direction rapidly.

I think the only problem with him is that he's not a natural finisher, he might miss 3 or 4 chances before scoring. Also he's very low on confidence and that can eat away at a striker because the only thing they're judged on is goals.

He's not bad but you wouldn't want say he's the guy to dig you out of a tight spot.

Power n Glory
04-10-2012, 09:51 AM
Poldoski seems wasted down the left and his goal came when he moved to the centre. But saying that, in the first half, all of our attacks were focused down the right and Poldoski probably had 3 or 4 touches of the ball in 45 minutes. Everything was going down Jenkinson and Ox's side. The left side is a bit of worry. Gibbs is always super high up the field and then you have Vermaelen always bombing forwards and it's risky when a team is looking to counter. When we were 2-1 up, Verms was charging forward to get on the end of Theo's cross to score which is a risk he doesn't need to take.

But anyway, maybe the plan is for Pod to arrive late in the box or something when the ball is out on the right. But it didn't look like it was working anyway. I'm not a fan of Gervinho up front and I think I've seen enough to be fair. He's scoring goals, but it looked as if he got a bit lucky yesterday. A hit and hope type goal. Giroud's movement is great and he is unlucky, but now Wenger has a problem because he can't just simply bench Gervinho and Giorud will come in for 20 minutes feeling under pressure to score. He usually gets a decent chance or makes something happen in a game. If he had a full game, I'm sure he'd finally get a goal or two.

Japan Shaking All Over
04-10-2012, 10:18 AM
Whisper it but I think Oxlade is getting by on reputation alone at the moment, I don't think he's really making much of an impression on matches right now. I'd like to see Theo given more chances because he's the one with it all prove.

I heard that. . .:sulk:

Özim
04-10-2012, 10:22 AM
I think the only problem with him is that he's not a natural finisher, he might miss 3 or 4 chances before scoring. Also he's very low on confidence and that can eat away at a striker because the only thing they're judged on is goals.

He's not bad but you wouldn't want say he's the guy to dig you out of a tight spot.
I agree with this, his no goal related play is very good, nice touches, movement etc but in front of goal he's been very poor.....he's missed quite a few really simple chances that a striker at his level should put away.

He scored in the CC the other day, but that seems to have made no real difference to his confidence.

Özim
04-10-2012, 10:24 AM
You can't really drop Gervinho to be fair, the guy is good at beating players and is now scoring goals..sure he missed some but he's not an out and out centre forward.

At the moment he's one of our better players for sure.

Syn
04-10-2012, 10:30 AM
I'm happy with the way it is ATM with Gerv up front. Liking the pace and confusion and panic up front. Gervinho is so scared he is erratic and scares defenders but they don't quite know what's going on - because Gerv doesn't know what's going on.

The goals have to come from Cazorla and Wilshere. With no top class striker, we've got to be all about the midfield.

Kano
04-10-2012, 10:42 AM
that will work for chelsea this season - with torres getting 15-20 and plenty, plenty from their midfield.

i don't think we have that in us at the moment.

Xhaka Can’t
04-10-2012, 10:44 AM
Gerv is like Kanu on acid.

Sent from my HTC One S using Tapatalk 2

server too busy!
04-10-2012, 11:21 AM
I'd put Gerv on the right and Giroud in the centre. Don't see why that wouldn't work, with the front 3 interchanging when needed.

Alpha
04-10-2012, 11:49 AM
When any team wins they look at the score . When Arsenal win they look at the performance first then, at the score after . If any of two didn't convince them Arsenal are in trouble and did not deserve to win . :coffee::

IBK
04-10-2012, 12:33 PM
I'm happy with the way it is ATM with Gerv up front. Liking the pace and confusion and panic up front. Gervinho is so scared he is erratic and scares defenders but they don't quite know what's going on - because Gerv doesn't know what's going on.

The goals have to come from Cazorla and Wilshere. With no top class striker, we've got to be all about the midfield.

Good point re Gervinho. The reason he's effective is that he is unpredictable, and very difficult to mark. Lessens other teams' ability to study/read him, and these players are very useful assets to have.

Olivier's xmas twist
04-10-2012, 02:22 PM
You can't really drop Gervinho to be fair, the guy is good at beating players and is now scoring goals..sure he missed some but he's not an out and out centre forward.

At the moment he's one of our better players for sure.

He's done well this season for sure and i think its clear he needed time to settle in. Lets hope Giroud settles in soon too.

hymppi
04-10-2012, 02:30 PM

Tut-tut. Not at the same level as Hyypiä and Litmanen for example used to be.

Marc Overmars
04-10-2012, 02:31 PM
When any team wins they look at the score . When Arsenal win they look at the performance first then, at the score after . If any of two didn't convince them Arsenal are in trouble and did not deserve to win . :coffee::

Who said that?

fakeyank
04-10-2012, 03:22 PM
Who said that?

Yo Momma

Cripps_orig
04-10-2012, 08:55 PM
Missed the 2nd half

Apparently we won

yay

Alpha
04-10-2012, 11:03 PM
Who said that?
The Media .

Olivier's xmas twist
05-10-2012, 10:00 AM
The Media .

Media are ****s, so its ok for Fergie to complain about not having enough added mins. Any othe manager who did that would have been slated heavly this week.

pakgunner
05-10-2012, 10:07 PM
kozza is not the same player this year, we must get merts back as first choice to bring back balance and stability in our defence especially with no diaby we lack height when defending set pieces.