PDA

View Full Version : Price Of Football - BBC Survey Thingy

Gervinho's Forehead
18-10-2012, 11:47 AM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/19984968

The average cost of the cheapest adult ticket in the top four divisions of English football has risen by 11.7% - more than five times the rate of inflation.....

•The most expensive adult matchday ticket is Arsenal at £126 and the cheapest £6 at Montrose.
•Arsenal also have the most expensive season ticket at £1,955, while Montrose's was the lowest at £90.

"Despite the difficult economic times we live in, prices at some clubs and at some levels of the game are still exceedingly high," Malcolm Clarke, chairman of the Football Supporters' Federation, said.

"It is quite shocking that at Arsenal, for example, the cheapest season ticket is only £15 short of £1,000.

The highest price of a day out at a football match in England, Wales and Scotland has gone from £109 to £134.30 in just 12 months, with Arsenal the most expensive club to visit for a second successive year.

A trip to the Emirates Stadium can cost as much as £134.40 with top-price tickets going for £126, a £26 rise on last year's figure and a programme (£3), pie (£3.30) and cup of tea (£2) adding to the cost.

Arsenal's cheapest day out (£34.30) comes in exactly £100 cheaper but it is Newcastle who offer the Premier League's best value day out, with a ticket, programme, pie and cup of tea coming in at £23.

Arsenal chief executive Ivan Gazidis told BBC Sport the club was doing its best to offer value to fans with the club's cheapest league ticket (£26) among the most affordable in the division. This ticket is £9 cheaper than last season.

Arsenal once again come out on top with their cheapest season ticket (£985) costing more than all but three of their Premier League rivals' most expensive equivalent.

Wigan offer the Premier League's cheapest season ticket (£255) with Manchester City (£275) close behind. Scottish third division side Montrose offer the cheapest season ticket at £90.

Just tells us what we already know, the board are theiving b*stards!

McNamara That Ghost...
18-10-2012, 11:51 AM
Well, to an extent but I bet the prices going up are at the same time of wages going up too.

Marc Overmars
18-10-2012, 11:52 AM
£2 for a cup of tea. :lol:

Gervinho's Forehead
18-10-2012, 11:56 AM
Well, to an extent but I bet the prices going up are at the same time of wages going up too.

Ours or theirs!?

McNamara That Ghost...
18-10-2012, 11:58 AM
Everyone at Arsenal. Well not Arteta. :lol:

Olivier's xmas twist
18-10-2012, 12:01 PM
£3.30 for a pie and i bet they tast shit.

Olivier's xmas twist
18-10-2012, 12:02 PM
£2 for a cup of tea. :lol:

Thats not a bad price tbf, i've seen Sunday league teams charge the same.

Marc Overmars
18-10-2012, 12:05 PM
Thats not a bad price tbf, i've seen Sunday league teams charge the same.

Probably.

It's funny because you can get a box of 400 teabags for about a tenner at supermarkets.

Olivier's xmas twist
That my friend is very true.

Gervinho's Forehead
£3.30 for a pie and i bet they tast shit.

Letters swears by the chicken balti pies.

Gervinho's Forehead
18-10-2012, 12:06 PM
Probably.

It's funny because you can get a box of 400 teabags for about a tenner at supermarkets.

Yorkshire Tea! :bow:

Syn
18-10-2012, 12:30 PM
Fuck. This data would've been very useful for me a few months ago. :banghead:
Ah well.

Arsenal - cheapest ticket £26? What's that - kids? :unsure:

Thought we start at around 35 even in cat b or whatever it is?

Marc Overmars
18-10-2012, 12:38 PM
The £26 ticket is from the ticket exchange, for cat C matches.

Syn
18-10-2012, 12:43 PM
I thought the ticket exchange system just hands out unwanted places at face-value?

Ah, I think I see - they must be paying a season-ticket rate.

Marc Overmars
18-10-2012, 12:46 PM
Actually I don't think it's just for TX, £26 is the standard price for the cheapest seats in the lower tier for Cat C matches.

Syn
18-10-2012, 12:48 PM
Ah. :good:

LDG
18-10-2012, 01:02 PM
Meh. I don't usually pay over £45 for a ticket for any one game. The one's they're on about are the ones they strip the fuck out of the rich ****s for.

It's still retarded that they alienate our own local support so much, but I guess everyone is paying the price for the greed now in football....and the media can piss off, as they're milking it all just as much.

All in all.

Meh.

Dennis Bendtner
18-10-2012, 02:52 PM
This is free market fundamentalism at its worst. That said, the £5-10 for the Carling Cup is quite a good scheme.

GP
18-10-2012, 02:52 PM
Yeah! Free Monkey Mentalism!

:bow:

LDG
18-10-2012, 02:58 PM
Yeah! Free Monkey Mentalism!

:bow:

http://i811.photobucket.com/albums/zz33/frankywenur_album/Just%204%20Fun/CrazyMonkey.gif

Shaqiri Is Boss
18-10-2012, 03:08 PM
http://gifsoup.com/webroot/animatedgifs2/3440771_o.gif

GP
18-10-2012, 03:18 PM
:lol:

Özim
18-10-2012, 06:20 PM
I think most people already knew our ticket prices are somewhat of a ripoff, there's not many industries where you can get away with charging top whack without delivering the best quality product, it seems that football is one of them.

Power n Glory
18-10-2012, 06:29 PM
The joke is, if every club were to adopt this model, then it would effectively price out the majority of football fans.

McNamara That Ghost...
18-10-2012, 06:43 PM
At least you get more games than just league included within that ticket. As long as they find people to pay for it, it will remain this way.

Also, it keeps getting branded (erroneously) as the Best League In The World then the media acts all shocked and surprised at how much it all costs. :lol:

Olivier's xmas twist
18-10-2012, 06:54 PM
At least you get more games than just league included within that ticket. As long as they find people to pay for it, it will remain this way.

Also, it keeps getting branded (erroneously) as the Best League In The World then the media acts all shocked and surprised at how much it all costs. :lol:

This.

End of the day the people who buy these tickets can afford them or are mostly rich to them its chump change. If you feel your being mugged off then just don't go.

Football in itself is expensive and had we been winning things i doubt most would have even gave a rats ass tbh.

I mean comparing us to Montrose has to be the most stupidest thing ever.

Özim
18-10-2012, 07:01 PM
This.

End of the day the people who buy these tickets can afford them or are mostly rich to them its chump change. If you feel your being mugged off then just don't go.

Football in itself is expensive and had we been winning things i doubt most would have even gave a rats ass tbh.

Had we been winning then it could be said we were delivering top quality and thus charging top money would make more sense, as it stands though charging top money when we haven't won anything in 7 years and only ever come 3rd or 4th is ridiculous.

Power n Glory
18-10-2012, 07:01 PM
Well, we're not filling the executive boxes and there are a load of empty seats around the stadium these days, it may just get to the point where people just can't afford it or flat out refuse to pay. Look at the times we are in. People are tired of getting fleeced out or their money by these theiving corporations.

What is the long term goal because this isn't sustainable. It looks like we have to sell players to balance the books. What happens when Wenger is gone and we have tapped the youth well dry? The next manager that comes in is screwed by the looks of things. Even FFP comes in and we have to spend what we earn, we'd still get dwarfed by our rivals because our sponsorship deals suck and we won't be catching up to any of them anytime soon with our silverware record.

It sounds bleak but it doesn't look like they have thought this through. It's either hot air and gas we're getting to disguise the problems or a great scam. I can understand why people say they fear what happens when Wenger us gone now, but it differs in the sense that i feel he's played a massive role in all this. His vouched for the Board and this plan.

McNamara That Ghost...
18-10-2012, 07:16 PM
I don't think it is self-sustaining in its current guise either. What the new truckload of money for the Premier League TV rights will mean I am not sure, nor do I know if we'll change our approach when we are debt free (which can't be too far off). However when those two things happen, we'll know for sure.

Olivier's xmas twist
18-10-2012, 07:20 PM
Had we been winning then it could be said we were delivering top quality and thus charging top money would make more sense, as it stands though charging top money when we haven't won anything in 7 years and only ever come 3rd or 4th is ridiculous.

Football would still be expensive and we'd still have the most expensive ticket in the country had we been winning. My point is as football goes on prices will rise. If you can afford it you will go, if you can't you won't.

McNamara That Ghost...
18-10-2012, 07:22 PM
This.

Indeed. I know the season ticket waiting list has shrunk but it's still fairly sizeable and it probably will remain so if we continue around the same level. We win about 18 games at home a season, that's a fairly decent base for anyone deciding

She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
18-10-2012, 07:50 PM
can we count this as a trophy?

-Xs-
18-10-2012, 10:17 PM
can we count this as a trophy?

Absolutely, which coincidentally doubles as a reason to increase ticket prices

Gervinho's Forehead
19-10-2012, 10:11 AM

I get that point, however it's about 8 cup games (i think), fa and champions league.

I'm a silver member so i don't have a season ticket and don't go to every game, i just can't afford it!

Marc Overmars
19-10-2012, 10:24 AM
I don't go as much as I used to, but ironically I can probably afford it now a lot more than I could 3-4 years ago when my attendance was at it's most frequent. Personally for me the enjoyment level isn't the same and I prefer to go just a handful of times a season because I see it as a treat, rather than a necessity.

McNamara That Ghost...
19-10-2012, 10:34 AM
I get that point, however it's about 8 cup games (i think), fa and champions league.

I'm a silver member so i don't have a season ticket and don't go to every game, i just can't afford it!

Eight is about half the maximum amount of cup games at home we could possibly get.

How many season tickets of the top clubs could you actually afford?

Kano
19-10-2012, 10:40 AM
more and more premium games are being offered out to red members earlier and general sale. not a good sign

i'm not priced out as such but i refuse to continue paying so much for ****s to ruin the club

LDG
19-10-2012, 10:40 AM
I don't go as much as I used to, but ironically I can probably afford it now a lot more than I could 3-4 years ago when my attendance was at it's most frequent. Personally for me the enjoyment level isn't the same and I prefer to go just a handful of times a season because I see it as a treat, rather than a necessity.

I was like that last season....though, when I do go, I want to go more, and more....and now I'm booked up for nearly every match until Christmas...apart from Spuds (though if anyone has a spare :ninja: )

I guess, because I know so many people at the games now, that when there's a spare (which there usually is) I just take 'em.

What I save on beer by drinking on the train, more or less equates to the extra I would spend in the pub on a Saturday...so I end up evens, but get to see the game at the stadium.

Gervinho's Forehead
19-10-2012, 11:00 AM
I was like that last season....though, when I do go, I want to go more, and more....and now I'm booked up for nearly every match until Christmas...apart from Spuds (though if anyone has a spare :ninja: )

I guess, because I know so many people at the games now, that when there's a spare (which there usually is) I just take 'em.

What I save on beer by drinking on the train, more or less equates to the extra I would spend in the pub on a Saturday...so I end up evens, but get to see the game at the stadium.

Are you still in contact with the people your bro used to sit next too?

LDG
19-10-2012, 11:09 AM
Are you still in contact with the people your bro used to sit next too?

:sarcy:

Who are you, and what have you done with my brother :angry:

Gervinho's Forehead
19-10-2012, 11:21 AM
:sarcy:

Who are you, and what have you done with my brother :angry:

Don't worry, he's safe.

For now. :ninja:

LDG
19-10-2012, 11:22 AM
ILT?? :unsure:

Xhaka Can’t
19-10-2012, 12:29 PM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/19984968

Just tells us what we already know, the board are theiving b*stards!

What do they charge up in Leeds?

Marc Overmars
19-10-2012, 12:32 PM
:cold:

Gervinho's Forehead
19-10-2012, 12:35 PM
I've never been to Leeds, what's it like?

Xhaka Can’t
19-10-2012, 12:35 PM

I bet you hadn't a clue what the Club are actually charging. The overall average charged is high, but there are bargains to be had. I think the pricing strategy for League Cup games and Category C matches makes Arsenal matches affordable and provides opportunity for fans that don't have megabucks to attend.

These matches are also great for younger fans, I'm now attending some matches with my son for less than the price I paid in the past for a single ticket.

IBK
19-10-2012, 01:08 PM
Haven't read the thread - but its a simple question of supply and demand. Clubs aren't charities, we live in a capitalist society, and they will charge what they can get away with. I don't think its fair to single out any club for doing this. If there is 'blame' to be apportioned, its principally against all of us, who lap up the tickets, the Sky TV; the merchandise etc, that has ultimately resulted in the obscene amounts paid to footballers, that in turn drives the turnstile prices. Or you might as well blame capitalism itself, that results in obscenely wealthy individuals spunking sums that would save 100's of 1000's in the poorest countries on football clubs as cock extensions.

LDG
19-10-2012, 01:36 PM
:cold:

:lol:

Olivier's xmas twist
19-10-2012, 02:18 PM
Letters swears by the chicken balti pies.

Bet its not even Gingsters too.