PDA

View Full Version : The Way Protests/Protesters Are Covered In Our Media

Gervinho's Forehead
19-10-2012, 11:19 AM
I really hate the double standards our media have when they broadcast different protests, it seems it's one rule for one, one rule for another (well another country)

Today the man that swam in the boat race got 6 months in jail and everone is saying how just the sentence is, but I bet if it had happened in Russia (for example) there would be outrage!

Look at the way the pussy riot protesters were covered, imagine if I or a group of people went into St. Pauls and started raving and shouting, singing and refusing to leave when asked, how do you think that would be covered in the media?

Xhaka Can’t
19-10-2012, 12:24 PM
Look at the way the pussy riot protesters were covered, imagine if I or a group of people went into St. Pauls and started raving and shouting, singing and refusing to leave when asked, how do you think that would be covered in the media?

There is only one way to find out.

Good luck.

Gervinho's Forehead
19-10-2012, 12:33 PM
There is only one way to find out.

Good luck.

:lol:

Thank you, but does it make a different if I'm not a reasonably attractive girl wearing a woolly hat and balaclava?

V-Pig
19-10-2012, 12:33 PM
That's because our media is skewed to the right. Of course 6 months in prison for disrupting a sporting event is ridiculous. But people's outrage is dulled by the right-sided media who like to entrench privilege wherever possible, and see this as an attack on their Oxbridge way of life. On the other hand, if it happens in Russia, it feeds into their "evil commie scum" narrative which has never really died since the end of the Cold War.

Syn
19-10-2012, 12:55 PM
He fully deserves it. A friend of mine is a serious rower and has been a part of the Cambridge team in previous years (wasn't for this). They train like crazy from 5am every day through the cold rainy nights at Stoke. This is their Olympics. There is often very little elitism among the rowers themselves. They're just kids who work very hard for their little moment of recognition. It's massively frustrating for some moron to ruin that.

IBK
19-10-2012, 12:59 PM
@ V-Pig & Co. Don't agree.

The main reason for the prison sentence is that dickhead is using a 'protest' just to disguise that what he was doing was simply expressing a personal prejudice against what he perceived as the so-called privileged classes. There was no attempt to advertise any cause - and all he was doing was putting himself, and others, in danger. You committ a public order offence you get what's coming to you.

...and I can't be bothered to look it up but I'd be surprised if most 'Fleet Street' editors are Oxbridge educated.

Gervinho's Forehead
19-10-2012, 01:20 PM
Fair enough if you think people that commit public order offences should get what's coming to them, do you also agree that the women in Russia were right to be jailed too?

The way everyone reports prostests that happen in other countries is pure hypocrisy compared to how they cover ones that happen here!

LDG
19-10-2012, 01:42 PM
:lol:

Thank you, but does it make a different if I'm not a reasonably attractive girl wearing a woolly hat and balaclava?

How would you tell if she was reasonably attractive?

Gervinho's Forehead
19-10-2012, 01:43 PM
They have taken them off since it happened. silly billy!

IBK
19-10-2012, 02:35 PM
Fair enough if you think people that commit public order offences should get what's coming to them, do you also agree that the women in Russia were right to be jailed too?

The way everyone reports prostests that happen in other countries is pure hypocrisy compared to how they cover ones that happen here!

Well - they didn't put anyone in danger...so I suspect that they would have been spared jail here. In Russia I suspect that someone like that dickhear disrupting a major sporting event would have got more than 6 months. If your point is that events somewhere else are portrayed different to events here...well I guess that's human nature, my friend.

Joker
19-10-2012, 05:14 PM
I agree there is a difference in the way protests are reported, probably because our media is extremely parochial and hypocritical.