PDA

View Full Version : Would you prefer 4th place or winning the League Cup?

Joker
03-11-2012, 03:44 PM
Personally, I'd go with the Carling Cup. Our players seem to have a loser mentality, and Wenger's forgotten what's really important in football. Perhaps winning the League Cup will give our players the necessary experience of winning a trophy, and we can kick on from there.

Cripps_orig
03-11-2012, 03:45 PM
Owen Coyle

Marc Overmars
03-11-2012, 03:47 PM
Owen Coyle

:haha:

In response to the poll, 4th place over the League Cup is a no brainer really.

Ollie the Optimist
03-11-2012, 03:48 PM
Personally, I'd go with the Carling Cup. Our players seem to have a loser mentality, and Wenger's forgotten what's really important in football. Perhaps winning the League Cup will give our players the necessary experience of winning a trophy, and we can kick on from there.

both are as bad as each other in a way. win the league cup and no CL, we wont sign anyone decent. just look at liverpool. winning a trophy would be great dont get me wrong, however is it worth it if we end up doing a liverpool. in the grand scheme of things no. with getting top four, we are more liekly to get better players in to challenge for bigger things ( :haha: )

however with getting top four, it does cement loser mentality and means as a club we are drifting even further.

basically either one doesnt really help us, but because i want trophy again its the league cup

Cripps_orig
03-11-2012, 03:49 PM
No reason why we cant do both

But if i had to choose one

COC for sure

Dicks and chicks
03-11-2012, 03:50 PM
both are as bad as each other in a way. win the league cup and no CL, we wont sign anyone decent. just look at liverpool. winning a trophy would be great dont get me wrong, however is it worth it if we end up doing a liverpool. in the grand scheme of things no. with getting top four, we are more liekly to get better players in to challenge for bigger things ( :haha: )

however with getting top four, it does cement loser mentality and means as a club we are drifting even further.

basically either one doesnt really help us, but because i want trophy again its the league cup
but we don't sign decent players anyway, might as well go for a league cup

Niall_Quinn
03-11-2012, 03:51 PM
Silly poll, no option to see Kroenke being wiped out by a missile strike. Won't vote until the poll is fixed.

Ollie the Optimist
03-11-2012, 03:51 PM
but we don't sign decent players anyway, might as well go for a league cup

we do sign decent players, thats a stupid statement to make. cazorla, podolski are very good players. its just whether we sign the right decent players in the right positions that is questionalble

Dicks and chicks
03-11-2012, 03:53 PM
we do sign decent players, thats a stupid statement to make. cazorla, podolski are very good players. its just whether we sign the right decent players in the right positions that is questionalble

podolski has had a good few games but isn't proven at a big club that he can cut the mustard, cazorla will leave in a few seasons, we have signed a lot of average players last few transfer windows

Ollie the Optimist
03-11-2012, 03:55 PM
podolski has had a good few games but isn't proven at a big club that he can cut the mustard, cazorla will leave in a few seasons, we have signed a lot of average players last few transfer windows

podolski has 100 caps and 50 goals for germany by the age of 27. that makes him very decent.

yes cazorla will probs leave as will most of them but we do sign decent players. mertesacker, arteta, last year, its just we dont seem to sign decent players in the positions we need

Olivier's xmas twist
03-11-2012, 03:58 PM

Why can't we aim for both?

Last season id have said league cup, this season if its a choice between the too id say 4th place.

She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
03-11-2012, 04:00 PM
why are they mutually exclusive at arsenal football club? if you get paid £7m a year, is giving a domestic cup competition a serious go too much to ask for?

Syn
03-11-2012, 04:01 PM
Since we put up so little resistance when our players want to leave, and since we don't tend to buy players of top tier quality, it's difficult to see how losing CL revenues would make things worse - but, it definitely would. We'd just decline faster into a mid-table (or worse) team. The idea that we need a shock (of missing out on CL qualification) to spring the board into action - it's all garbage. Nothing's going to change on that front.

The league cup was considered a trophy so beneath us that we wouldn't even spit on it. But, right now, I think a good cup run would be a good distraction and very enjoyable for the fans. We're 4 games away from winning the competition - I think we should go all out for it. I don't think it's a major achievement but, as I said, it'd be fun.

Özil's Panoramic View
03-11-2012, 04:02 PM
Not in a mood to choose, I say we get them both.

Olivier's xmas twist
03-11-2012, 04:05 PM
Since we put up so little resistance when our players want to leave, and since we don't tend to buy players of top tier quality, it's difficult to see how losing CL revenues would make things worse - but, it definitely would. We'd just decline faster into a mid-table (or worse) team. The idea that we need a shock (of missing out on CL qualification) to spring the board into action - it's all garbage. Nothing's going to change on that front.

The league cup was considered a trophy so beneath us that we wouldn't even spit on it. But, right now, I think a good cup run would be a good distraction and very enjoyable for the fans. We're 4 games away from winning the competition - I think we should go all out for it. I don't think it's a major achievement but, as I said, it'd be fun.

Spot on, we should be aiming to win the COC, but seeing how pool are struggling without the CL footie, we lose that, we'll be even further behind. It won't be Wenger losing his millions or the board it will be us who lose again.

The fact this thread was even made shows how far we have sunk as a club.

Marc Overmars
03-11-2012, 04:06 PM
If it's ever going to improve under Wenger, we need to be in the CL.

Winning the League Cup would certainly bring a feel good factor around the place but I guarantee we the fans would sorely miss CL football and hate watching on from the outside.

Olivier's xmas twist
03-11-2012, 04:07 PM
Spot on MO

She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
03-11-2012, 04:08 PM
having said that maybe its better to start with the basics with this squad.

we have absolutely no winning mentality and the players are completely devoid of any trophy winning spirit. maybe we should go back to the basics, try and win the FA cup and league cup in order to instill some sort of belief, then go for the league? every year we put all our eggs in one basket and go for the league but fall short by some distance.

we're trying to topple mount everest when we should be trying to topple mount fuji first.

Dennis Bendtner
03-11-2012, 04:08 PM
There is a good chance that Arsenal could win the COC should things fall into place and you get the requisite luck. Of course these competitions should not be mutually exclusive. COC has only had two games so far, one more takes you into the semis having only played the second string. And it's done with by February. Obviously, we've been through this before where things have fallen into place, only to dramatically shit ourselves at the final hurdle. If you're talking a choice between the two, then yeah 4th. But I don't think anyone would mind the feel-good factor of the COC as well.

She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
03-11-2012, 04:10 PM
having said that it would mean holding onto our squad more than the pitiful 2 seasons we seem to manage at the moment. no good winning domestic cups then trying to go for the league only for players to f off after we've won the fa cup.

Marc Overmars
03-11-2012, 04:11 PM
Spot on MO

I'm fairly sure I would not watch the CL if we weren't involved. I can't be arsed most of the time when we go out in the 2nd round anyway.

There's no reason why we can't challenge for 4th and win the League Cup though, it should never be a case of one or the other. We can and should be looking to achieve both.

Olivier's xmas twist
03-11-2012, 04:11 PM
having said that maybe its better to start with the basics with this squad.

we have absolutely no winning mentality and the players are completely devoid of any trophy winning spirit. maybe we should go back to the basics, try and win the FA cup and league cup in order to instill some sort of belief, then go for the league? every year we put all our eggs in one basket and go for the league but fall short by some distance.

we're trying to topple mount everest when we should be trying to topple mount fuji first.

Becasuse none have won any. Well accept Giroud and maybe Poldi.

McNamara That Ghost...
03-11-2012, 04:14 PM
I'd rather we lift the COC. And then go on to finish fourth.

Marc Overmars
03-11-2012, 04:16 PM
Also one of the reasons our players fuck off more than most is because we don't even appear to be close to winning a trophy. If we had bagged a couple of domestic cups in recent seasons then maybe that would plant a seed in the players mind and they'd be more encouraged to commit.

selassie
03-11-2012, 04:19 PM
Carling Cup.

What's the point in entering CL without a hope in hell of winning it? We sell our best players every season even if we do finish 4th so it's not like the money we recoup from CL is properly invested in the team anyway.

I'd rather see the likes of Jenko, Gibbs & Wilshere happy and proud lifting a trophy than finish 4th if I'm honest.

Dicks and chicks
03-11-2012, 04:22 PM
8 years after the untouchables season never thought we would have this discussion

GP
03-11-2012, 04:24 PM
Ask a Liverpool fan.

Olivier's xmas twist
03-11-2012, 04:28 PM
Ask a Liverpool fan.

:gp:

Özim
03-11-2012, 04:40 PM
If it's ever going to improve under Wenger, we need to be in the CL.

Winning the League Cup would certainly bring a feel good factor around the place but I guarantee we the fans would sorely miss CL football and hate watching on from the outside.
We won't improve under Wenger.

It would be good for a manager to have the chance to take over with us in the CL though, with Wenger in charge it's meaningless however, we don't really sign top notch players, will never challenge for it.

The CL is actually holding us back in a way because all we're really interested in is 4th place, if there were only 2 places available we'd have to try a bit harder.

Olivier's xmas twist
03-11-2012, 04:42 PM
We won't improve under Wenger.

It would be good for a manager to have the chance to take over with us in the CL though, with Wenger in charge it's meaningless however, we don't really sign top notch players, will never challenge for it.

The CL is actually holding us back in a way because all we're really interested in is 4th place, if there were only 2 places available we'd have to try a bit harder.

Makes no diffrence if the board only care about money, The team will be worse off, even worse then it is today.

Özim
03-11-2012, 04:42 PM
I'm fairly sure I would not watch the CL if we weren't involved. I can't be arsed most of the time when we go out in the 2nd round anyway.

There's no reason why we can't challenge for 4th and win the League Cup though, it should never be a case of one or the other. We can and should be looking to achieve both.
There was a time when Wenger said we were challenging for 4 trophies, how things have changed.

Ironically in those days there were actually more games in the CL as there were 2 group stages (the year Man U won the treble they got through two group stages and still managed to win 3 trophies).

Özim
03-11-2012, 04:43 PM
Makes no diffrence if the board only care about money, The team will be worse off, even worse then it is today.
They do, but it's the fans that allowing them to get away with it, if people actually voted with their feet things would change quicksmart.

That will never happen of course, today's away fans kinda showed that, it does at other clubs but not at Arsenal.

Olivier's xmas twist
03-11-2012, 04:44 PM
There was a time when Wenger said we were challeging for 4 trophies, how things have changed.

Now were challenging for 5 :coffee:

Olivier's xmas twist
03-11-2012, 04:45 PM
They do, but it's the fans that allowing them to get away with it, if people actually voted with their feet things would change quicksmart.

That will never happen of course, today's away fans kinda showed that, it does at other clubs but not at Arsenal.

Maybe just maybe cause their fans and love to support the club, not the people who run it the team.

Özim
03-11-2012, 04:48 PM
Maybe just maybe cause their fans and love to support the club, not the people who run it the team.
and they're not at other clubs?

If you want change you can't blindly follow everyone else like a lemming you have to do something to try and change stuff, not turning up and putting money in the club coffers is the only way.

Olivier's xmas twist
03-11-2012, 04:58 PM

If you want change you can't blindly follow everyone else like a lemming you have to do something to try and change stuff, not turning up and putting money in the club coffers is the only way.

Yep worked at Blackburn the fans marching to get rid of keane, worked at Old traffoed the fans trying to protest with the green and yellow scarfes.

Like Terry says maybe you should actually go to a game before you insult the fans who do.

Our away fans are awesome, just as SWAYR.

Fans of any tema go to support the club. The fans who don't want to be there are the ones who don't go.

Grebbo
03-11-2012, 08:38 PM
I can't see how winning the League Cup means we'd have to sacrifice 4th.

We only have to finish above Spurs FFS.

I say fuck off the Champs Leg cos we're never going to win that. Instead we should 100% be playing our strongest team in the League Cup now. I can understand prioritising the League and Champs Lge when you have a chance of winning them but we don't.

Kano
03-11-2012, 08:43 PM
why does it have to be one of the other? why not both? granted, we won't get fourth this season but still, a cup and fourth should've been possible by now.

Kano
03-11-2012, 08:44 PM

who has done that?

Özim
03-11-2012, 08:47 PM
who has done that?
Done what?

Shaqiri Is Boss
03-11-2012, 08:48 PM
Ask a Liverpool fan.

Provided 4th place actually gets you CL football then 4th place. (Spurs :lol:)

Every. Single. Time.

If there has to be a choice between the two. Last season I'd probably have been split, a trophy is a trophy, but to compete in modern football quite simply you need CL football. Whether it be the money, or the prestige. Or the music. I don't see why there always have to be a trade off between a trophy and CL though... do both. You've had plenty of chances over the last few years to win the League or FA Cup that wouldn't hurt your league chances anymore than the crushing inevitability of going out in the SF.

As much as your situation of being in a rut and an all-to-predictable collapse is frustrating, 8th place is much, much worse.

GP
03-11-2012, 08:49 PM

Özim
03-11-2012, 08:50 PM
From a football point of view I'd prefer to win the COC, it would mean something. To me qualifying for the CL is totally meaningless, sure it brings money into the club.....but that never gets spent, we compete against the best teams in Europe....but we don't compete we just make up the numbers and lose whenever we meet anyone decent (we have no chance of winning it), we can attract top players....but we never sign any.

With that in mind 4th place seems pretty pointless and doesn't feel like an achievement.

Syn
03-11-2012, 08:51 PM

Every. Single. Time.

If there has to be a choice between the two. Last season I'd probably have been split, a trophy is a trophy, but to compete in modern football quite simply you need CL football. Whether it be the money, or the prestige. Or the music. I don't see why there always have to be a trade off between a trophy and CL though... do both. You've had plenty of chances over the last few years to win the League or FA Cup that wouldn't hurt your league chances anymore than the crushing inevitability of going out in the SF.

As much as your situation of being in a rut and an all-to-predictable collapse is frustrating, 8th place is much, much worse.

Um, yes, that's quite enough. Thank you for your interest in our affairs.

Özim
03-11-2012, 08:52 PM

Every. Single. Time.

One little snag here though, we really don't compete....we're a 2nd tier team...we're not even really trying to compete just swelling the coffers. If we had a manager and board who cared about success that would be great, but it's all too obvious we don't.

Staying in the CL is really only relevant for the next manager that comes in in 2029 or something.

Liverpool aren't much kop tho I agree with that, but then neither are we and we haven't been for many a year...at least you've won the CL.

Kano
03-11-2012, 08:53 PM
Done what?
made a change through action?

Özim
03-11-2012, 08:55 PM
made a change through action?
Wimbledon fans.

Kano
03-11-2012, 08:56 PM
haha. sorry, honestly, you were probably serious but is that it?

Özim
03-11-2012, 08:58 PM
haha. sorry, honestly, you were probably serious but is that it?
We've seen fans make their feeling felt in the past though, Liverpool fans, Newcastle fans etc (didn't Newcastle fans stop coming to matches at one point?)......it doesn't always work but at least it puts pressure on the club and manager.

Problem at our club is they all think they're untouchable at the top, they need a reality check.

Ollie the Optimist
03-11-2012, 08:59 PM
thing is, this in most peoples eyes should be wengers last season with us which makes it imperative to get CL football. there is no reason why we cannot get both the league cup and 4th place but if it comes down to a choice, we will have to take getting fourth because if we want a new manager who is good such as klopp, moyes, guardiola etc, they wont come here without CL football i dont think, regardless of wether we win the league.

or we could follow piers morgans idea of getting harry redknapp in. :ilt:

Özim
03-11-2012, 09:00 PM
thing is, this in most peoples eyes should be wengers last season with us which makes it imperative to get CL football. there is no reason why we cannot get both the league cup and 4th place but if it comes down to a choice, we will have to take getting fourth because if we want a new manager who is good such as klopp, moyes, guardiola etc, they wont come here without CL football i dont think, regardless of wether we win the league.

or we could follow piers morgans idea of getting harry redknapp in. :ilt:
It won't be his last season, he'll be here a while yet and unless people show they want him out he's even more likely to stay. The board are pretty happy with him and he's pretty happy with his performance so why leave now?

Kano
03-11-2012, 09:01 PM
We've seen fans make their feeling felt in the past though, Liverpool fans, Newcastle fans etc (didn't Newcastle fans stop coming to matches at one point?)......it doesn't always work but at least it puts pressure on the club and manager.

Problem at our club is they all think they're untouchable at the top, they need a reality check.
OK cool. I think given the amount of teams/managers/boards under pressure through any given season across so many leagues, over all these years, its safe to say its not really an approach that works.

Özim
03-11-2012, 09:06 PM
OK cool. I think given the amount of teams/managers/boards under pressure through any given season across so many leagues, over all these years, its safe to say its not really an approach that works.
Fair enough, but it's better than doing nothing to be honest, better to try and fail then never to try at all.

Ollie the Optimist
03-11-2012, 09:12 PM
Fair enough, but it's better than doing nothing to be honest, better to try and fail then never to try at all.

we all want change in the club, but its only going to come by the manager not getting the results the board want.

lets face it, we can say boycott the club etc and vote with our feet but people wont do that. we will still go to games, or watch games on sky even if we say we are angry. we will still get involved and not be able to turn our backs on the club and stay away and not give them money.

and you know its true because otherwise you wouldnt say how shit we are, yet still post on an internet message board after every game. lets face it, none of us can turn our backs on our club. thats why voting with our feet wont work, no one will do

Özim
03-11-2012, 09:14 PM
we all want change in the club, but its only going to come by the manager not getting the results the board want.

lets face it, we can say boycott the club etc and vote with our feet but people wont do that. we will still go to games, or watch games on sky even if we say we are angry. we will still get involved and not be able to turn our backs on the club and stay away and not give them money.

and you know its true because otherwise you wouldnt say how shit we are, yet still post on an internet message board after every game. lets face it, none of us can turn our backs on our club. thats why voting with our feet wont work, no one will do
If noone ever makes their feelings clear then we're stuck as we are and nothing will change, PHW and co will continue to laugh at and take the p*ss out of the fans and Wenger will continue to think he's 2% away from domination and entertaining the world.

Oh what a joy!

Ollie the Optimist
03-11-2012, 09:19 PM
If noone ever makes their feelings clear then we're stuck as we are and nothing will change, PHW and co will continue to laugh at and take the p*ss out of the fans and Wenger will continue to think he's 2% away from domination and entertaining the world.

Oh what a joy!

you missed my point completely. no protest is going to work, marches etc just will be ignored. and fans wont vote with their feet because they wont be able to turn their back on Arsenal because its the club we all love. if i was offered a ticket for next week, id take it in a heartbeat to watch my team, even though i want change and know the only way to do that is to not give them my money, but i cant do that. no one can really. you watch our games so you give the club money in some form, be it through tickets, sky membership etc. and you wont stop doing that, none of us will.

The Wengerbabies
03-11-2012, 09:31 PM
Don't care. Neither should be considered any sort of achievement though.

She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
03-11-2012, 09:58 PM
only reason i want champions league football is so the next manager that comes in has the biggest transfer kitty available to sort this pile of shit out in our squad.

cause it needs one hell of an investment and i certainly dont want wenger spending it anymore.

Niall_Quinn
03-11-2012, 10:01 PM
you missed my point completely. no protest is going to work, marches etc just will be ignored. and fans wont vote with their feet because they wont be able to turn their back on Arsenal because its the club we all love. if i was offered a ticket for next week, id take it in a heartbeat to watch my team, even though i want change and know the only way to do that is to not give them my money, but i cant do that. no one can really. you watch our games so you give the club money in some form, be it through tickets, sky membership etc. and you wont stop doing that, none of us will.

That's why football has attracted the money locusts. Captive audience, inelastic demand.

Olivier's xmas twist
04-11-2012, 12:16 AM
One little snag here though, we really don't compete....we're a 2nd tier team...we're not even really trying to compete just swelling the coffers. If we had a manager and board who cared about success that would be great, but it's all too obvious we don't.

Staying in the CL is really only relevant for the next manager that comes in in 2029 or something.

Liverpool aren't much kop tho I agree with that, but then neither are we and we haven't been for many a year...at least you've won the CL.

Yep and when we do a liverpool and don't ever get back in it, it would make no diffrence.

Olivier's xmas twist
04-11-2012, 12:20 AM

Oh what a joy!
If your so passionate about a protest, why don't you start one instead of writing moaning like a kid on a forum. You can call Wenger a **** 200 times, makes no diffrence if you don't make a stand.

Cripps_orig
04-11-2012, 12:57 AM
I voted league cup but im sure when next season comes round and the CL games are on and we arent in it, i will miss it

Yes i know we will never win it under Wenger and we are a bit shit in it. Only reached the Semi finals twice in all the years we have been in it confirms that and we usually have a piss easy group with no big games.

Not sure what il miss exactly but i will miss it, whatever it is

Özim
04-11-2012, 09:42 AM
If your so passionate about a protest, why don't you start one instead of writing moaning like a kid on a forum. You can call Wenger a **** 200 times, makes no diffrence if you don't make a stand.
It's my job to rally the troups not lead them into battle!

Özim
04-11-2012, 09:43 AM
Yep and when we do a liverpool and don't ever get back in it, it would make no diffrence.
What about doing a Leeds is that yesterday's trend now?

Bergkampwonderland10
04-11-2012, 09:51 AM
What about doing a Leeds is that yesterday's trend now?
No Decent players will join us if we can't offer CL football...oh wait...they don't join us even when we do...so I'd go for league cup for sure.
After that Wenger has won it all domestically so get a new manager in, that doesn't act like a haemorrhoid in the arses of Blatter and Platini and then maybe we wont be penalised by referees for nothing sending offs and non-existent penalties etc. and actually have a fair chance of winning in Europe.

Olivier's xmas twist
04-11-2012, 10:44 AM
I just don't see why we have to settle for one of the other, we should want both.

Cripps_orig
04-11-2012, 12:23 PM
I just don't see why we have to settle for one of the other, we should want both.

Blame Wenger

It should never be a question of wanting one over the other. Go for it all and if we get it then great. If not then fair enough. The fans will understand.

Özim
04-11-2012, 01:14 PM
Blame Wenger

It should never be a question of wanting one over the other. Go for it all and if we get it then great. If not then fair enough. The fans will understand.
As I mentioned he use to say we're going for 4 trophies nowadays he says 2......ironically we had more games in those days as the CL had an extra group stage.

We've got enough players, trouble is most of them are sh*t.

Olivier's xmas twist
04-11-2012, 01:18 PM
Blame Wenger

im talking about why threads like this are even made.

Marc Overmars
04-11-2012, 01:31 PM
As I mentioned he use to say we're going for 4 trophies nowadays he says 2......ironically we had more games in those days as the CL had an extra group stage.

We've got enough players, trouble is most of them are sh*t.

The problem is that Wenger is not prepared to use his squad (except for cup games), he has his best 11 or 12 players in mind and runs them into the ground even if their performances are not up to standard. In order to compete for everything you need to keep things fresh by trying different things and reacting to consistent poor performances, he doesn't do that. I'm sure Ramsey will play against Fulham despite doing absolutley sod all for weeks.

Kano
04-11-2012, 01:33 PM
he should be looking at this quarter final away to bradford thinking of putting half the first team out there. chelsea have been doing that season after season, the competition has never been too big and thus why they usually do better in it. of course, wenger won't do that, as it is beneath him.

Özim
04-11-2012, 01:35 PM
The problem is that Wenger is not prepared to use his squad (except for cup games), he has his best 11 or 12 players in mind and runs them into the ground even if their performances are not up to standard. In order to compete for everything you need to keep things fresh by trying different things and reacting to consistent poor performances, he doesn't do that. I'm sure Ramsey will play against Fulham despite doing absolutley sod all for weeks.
You're right of course but that isn't management. Probably why we run out of steam by February, doesn't explain our early season form in recent years though.

Olivier's xmas twist
04-11-2012, 01:37 PM
he should be looking at this quarter final away to bradford thinking of putting half the first team out there. chelsea have been doing that season after season, the competition has never been too big and thus why they usually do better in it. of course, wenger won't do that, as it is beneath him.

Although its bradford so we should be beating them anyways.

Cripps_orig
04-11-2012, 01:46 PM
im talking about why threads like this are even made.

Just goes to show how far away Wengers thinking is from the fans

Bergkampwonderland10
05-11-2012, 09:12 AM
I'd much rather play the team that came back from 0-4 down than the first team that played at OT last Sat to be fair.

Olivier's xmas twist
05-11-2012, 09:21 AM
Just goes to show how far away Wengers thinking is from the fans

Not really if Fans are making threads like this.

Olivier's xmas twist
05-11-2012, 09:23 AM
I'd much rather play the team that came back from 0-4 down than the first team that played at OT last Sat to be fair.

No thank you, Kos and Dojo and Martinez were all terrible in that game. Changes need to be made.

Bergkampwonderland10
05-11-2012, 09:29 AM
They were terrible, but look how they made up for it after half-time and as the game went on - at least we resembled a team that had a purpose...unlike saturday when it looked like we were trying everything not to get into the final third.

No thank you, Kos and Dojo and Martinez were all terrible in that game. Changes need to be made.

Olivier's xmas twist
05-11-2012, 09:34 AM
They were terrible, but look how they made up for it after half-time and as the game went on - at least we resembled a team that had a purpose...unlike saturday when it looked like we were trying everything not to get into the final third.

Suppose.

Kano
05-11-2012, 09:44 AM
not hard to look good against a team like reading.

coming from 4-0 down is one thing but i'm not sure they'd have it in their locker to come back from 10 after half time.

Olivier's xmas twist
05-11-2012, 09:45 AM
not hard to look good against a team like reading.

coming from 4-0 down is one thing but i'm not sure they'd have it in their locker to come back from 10 after half time.

Spot on.

We have a good chance o get into the semi's and should not take anything for granted.

Fist of Lehmann
05-11-2012, 02:08 PM
Would you prefer 4th place or winning the League Cup?No. No, I wouldn't.

Having said that, getting knocked out of the COC involves one night of pain.

Crawling our way to 5th or lower will involve months of agonising shitness, while some team I probably hate cruises into Champions League football and then celebrates like a bunch of tarts.

Because sometimes it's not about glory, sometimes it's about making people comfortable, while they die.

IBK
05-11-2012, 02:09 PM
I'll take CC this season. Because we ain't ccoming 4th.

LDG
05-11-2012, 02:12 PM
No. No, I wouldn't.

Having said that, getting knocked out of the COC involves one night of pain.

Crawling our way to 5th or lower will involve months of agonising shitness, while some team I probably hate cruises into Champions League football and then celebrates like a bunch of tarts.

Because sometimes it's not about glory, sometimes it's about making people comfortable, while they die.

:lol:

McNamara That Ghost...
05-11-2012, 02:21 PM

I'm fairly sure we still will. As ever, all others are tripping over themselves when they have a chance to build a lead on us.

Niall_Quinn
05-11-2012, 02:28 PM

Trouble is we choke on the cups harder than on the 4th place trophy. Mostly everyone assumes we won't make 4th by this stage of the season. But we end up scraping it, either by string a run that sees us hang on for grim life or otherwise poisoning the opposition so we can nick their spot. It'll be murder of we get to the Fray Bentos final and throw it away again. Which is much more likely than us actually winning it.

GP
05-11-2012, 02:30 PM
Of course we'll finish 4th (or better)

If we don't I'll eat my lunch.

Olivier's xmas twist
05-11-2012, 02:52 PM
Of course we'll finish 4th (or better)

If we don't I'll eat my lunch.

Pretty much.