PDA

View Full Version : Cracks

Letters
19-11-2012, 11:28 AM
I think we can all agree that the result on Saturday was
a) Hilarious.
b) Desperately needed.

Amid the jubilation though, there were some concerns.

There's no doubt that the sending off changed the game. Had it stayed 11 on 11 I still think we would have come back and got something, maybe a win, but the score wouldn't have been so emphatic.

And we did seem to switch off at 4-1, tried to take the piss too much, tried to score a perfect goal. Had we been more clinical it could have been a cricket score. As it was we took our foot off the gas and when Bale scored that goal it got jittery - had he scored that chance minutes later it would have got very nervy. Our 5th goal calmed the nerves but till then I was far more nervous than I should be at 4-2 against 10 men.

Anyway, I'm hoping the result will give us some confidence and we can go on a run now. We're not winning the league but 3rd place is suddenly looking a lot closer.

:scarf:

LDG
19-11-2012, 11:39 AM
To be completely fair, AVB actually did well with his half time switch up. Ok, they still had 10 men, but where are we most vunerable?

He top loaded the team again, and thus we had less space in the second half compared to the first.

That said, we looked like we were gonna get butt-raped before the sending off....BUT, the sending off was more of a confidence boost than a massive advantage. Yes, we had more space and another man, but that doesn't always mean it's easier. Ade****dor is a striker afterall.

They set up 4-4-2 and that, even before the sending off was a mistake, as we were always going to win the midfield battle eventually. It's no co-incidence that Cazorla was more effective, as we had three against two in the middle.

That being said, we always look like we're going to concede....we never look safe. It's basic errors that cost us too...time and time again.

Olivier's xmas twist
19-11-2012, 12:05 PM
I think we can all agree that the result on Saturday was
a) Hilarious.
b) Desperately needed.

Amid the jubilation though, there were some concerns.

There's no doubt that the sending off changed the game. Had it stayed 11 on 11 I still think we would have come back and got something, maybe a win, but the score wouldn't have been so emphatic.

And we did seem to switch off at 4-1, tried to take the piss too much, tried to score a perfect goal. Had we been more clinical it could have been a cricket score. As it was we took our foot off the gas and when Bale scored that goal it got jittery - had he scored that chance minutes later it would have got very nervy. Our 5th goal calmed the nerves but till then I was far more nervous than I should be at 4-2 against 10 men.

Anyway, I'm hoping the result will give us some confidence and we can go on a run now. We're not winning the league but 3rd place is suddenly looking a lot closer.

:scarf:

You mean 4th? its clear the top 3 are sorted just in which order.

Letters
19-11-2012, 12:06 PM
You mean 4th?
No, I mean 3rd. I'm not saying we'll finish 3rd but it's not a million miles away.

Olivier's xmas twist
19-11-2012, 12:17 PM
Fair play.

Marc Overmars
19-11-2012, 12:20 PM
I still think we're pretty frail and easy to get at but I'm delighted with the result for the short term at least. 4th maybe 3rd was always our ceiling and I expect us to make that but I don't take it for granted anymore.

Olivier's xmas twist
19-11-2012, 12:33 PM
Think alot of our season depends what we do in the Jan window and what happens with the Theo situation. Guess it depends where we are in the table and other comps.

IBK
19-11-2012, 02:42 PM
We are a confidence team - both ways. Once we start playing well the engine starts to work properly, but we are so vulnerable to the opposite. After their second - confidence leached out of team and stadium - and we were still 4-2 up FFS!

This team is at its best playing high tempo stuff. This possession game that we reverted to when we were 4-1 up almost invites bervousness because you are only ever a whisker away from being dispossessed and counter-attacked.

I remain of the opinion that our vulnerabilities are due less to individuals and more to Wenger's whole system of playing and coaching. Its fine to tell players to express themselves, but this will not help so much when things go against you.

SayNoMore
19-11-2012, 05:31 PM
We were against spurs, they always manage to fuck up more than us. Cant read into this but im proud of the boys for showing up and fighting. If only we did that every game we would be right up there but il take this.

KSE Comedy Club
19-11-2012, 07:35 PM
Think alot of our season depends what we do in the Jan window and what happens with the Theo situation. Guess it depends where we are in the table and other comps.
Not much except look out of it at all the other clubs spending money and buying players to actually strengthen their teams.

Niall_Quinn
19-11-2012, 08:14 PM
No, I mean 3rd. I'm not saying we'll finish 3rd but it's not a million miles away.

True, in fact it's no more than 900,000 miles away. And no less either.

A few days after the event, we were a bit more clinical in front of goal, terrible in defence, missing in midfield and the scoreline masked a pretty hot and cold performance that teetered on the edge of real disaster on a couple of occasions. One encouraging point emerged though. Impossibly the spuds are worse than us at the back.

McNamara That Ghost...
19-11-2012, 09:45 PM
I still haven't seen the game in its entirety yet but from past experiences the games against Tottenham are so routinely ludicrous (even with us having better teams) that analysis of where we might have showed weakness or cause for the concern probably shouldn't be coming from this one match.

Plus after beating the Spuds 5-2 (again) I'm not ready to go back to rational analysis until after our next game.

Arsenal. :bow:

Spufs. :haha:

Oh and yeah I think we'll finish third, providing no Falcao for Chelsea.

Özim
19-11-2012, 11:25 PM
These games use to be really tight even when the teams were at opposite ends of the table, nowadays they seem much more open.

Ad for 3rd place, can't see us getting it the top three have better teams than us we've picked up 1 of 9 points against them so far this season. Man City clearly have a superior team/squad, Chelsea have a better team and with another striker will be a real force, Man U aren't so good but they have Ferguson and now a top finisher thanks to us.

McNamara That Ghost...
19-11-2012, 11:43 PM
It's only Chelsea I think we'll finish above out of the supposed top three, they're going through the 'bad moment' period yet again that is oh so predictable, plus I don't think their squad is that great. Citeh at home next for them.

Niall_Quinn
19-11-2012, 11:44 PM
These games use to be really tight even when the teams were at opposite ends of the table, nowadays they seem much more open.

Ad for 3rd place, can't see us getting it the top three have better teams than us we've picked up 1 of 9 points against them so far this season. Man City clearly have a superior team/squad, Chelsea have a better team and with another striker will be a real force, Man U aren't so good but they have Ferguson and now a top finisher thanks to us.

At least we have more influence on the title this year, now we have sold RvC.

Olivier's xmas twist
20-11-2012, 12:01 AM
It's only Chelsea I think we'll finish above out of the supposed top three, they're going through the 'bad moment' period yet again that is oh so predictable, plus I don't think their squad is that great. Citeh at home next for them.

Yep, if they don't buy a top striker in Jan, then they'll struggle. Think the title is staying in Manchester tbh. Chavs vs City should be a good game. If City go out the CL this wee, will be good to see how they bounce back. If chavs loose to Juve it will be good to see how they bounce back.

She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
20-11-2012, 12:04 AM
torres +25m for falcao

i'll shit myself if that happens

they'd win the league.

Olivier's xmas twist
20-11-2012, 12:09 AM
torres +25m for falcao

they'd win the league.

More like Torres+ 35 mill for Falcao tbh.

-Xs-
20-11-2012, 12:36 AM
The game didn't tell us anything we already didn't know

Spuds still awful at the back

We still try to always snatch a loss from the jaws of victory

Adebayor will always be a liability for whoever he plays for

Always good to stuff the spuds though.

Spuds :lol:

Letters
20-11-2012, 07:45 AM
torres +25m for falcao

they'd buy the league.
Jut fixed your little typo

Fist of Lehmann
20-11-2012, 01:37 PM
I'm not ready to go back to rational analysis until after our next game.Go back? :o

I thought your post-match reaction usually consists of the word 'FUCK' + no other words.

McNamara That Ghost...
20-11-2012, 01:49 PM
That's quite rational, for a defeat.

LDG
20-11-2012, 01:52 PM
Cracks ##

LDG
20-11-2012, 01:52 PM
:unsure: