PDA

View Full Version : wenger and the media

Ollie the Optimist
27-11-2012, 11:08 AM
The old lion moved across the plains. Over his shoulder he saw his constant companions of late, a pack of hyenas, jogging along behind him, their pace synced to his.
The game keeper looking on, had a great affection for this great lion, and no great respect for his entourage. The game keeper told his assistant, “I named all those hyenas. I named them after some guys I knew back in England. Yeah, there’s John. There’s Matt. That one there with the stupid-looking hair tuft on his head, that’s Ollie. Yep, they’ve all got names.”
The hyenas had sized up this lumbering lion. He was older again this year. Life on the plains had taken its toll. The spring was gone from his stride. He had been forced out of his pride by 3 younger males who had come of age. And more basically, he had not eaten well in 7 or 8 days. Lions hunt as a pack. Hunting on his own was exhausting, and the pickings were thin. Between the energy he spent on chasing the ones he caught and on the ones he didn’t, he could sense it would make for better economy if he just gave up the hunt. But what would that leave him, and he a proud lion? What should he become? A scavenger?
http://heblogswhenhewantsto.files.wordpress.com/2012/11/hyena.jpg?w=620 (http://heblogswhenhewantsto.files.wordpress.com/2012/11/hyena.jpg)
A lion’s roar is a measure of its strength, its powers. A young lion has a high, thin roar. As they grow to their full powers, so too does their roar: deeper and louder. When lions roar at each other they get a measure of their relative strength. They could of course fight. But every fight has the serious risk of injury. And life on the African plains is merciless on the injured. A non-fatal wound may end up being fatal, slowly: a snapped tendon, an infected wound.
The roar is nature’s way of avoiding a fatal fight for dominance. Only when 2 lions believe their roars are equally matched will they look to determine dominance in a brutal struggle. But an aging lion , who has lost his powers, no matter how he may try to maintain it, cannot roar with the same depth, the same volume, the same intimidation. It is life or death for the lion, and yet he cannot summon it. For as expert as he may be in projecting strength by his roar, his enemies are as expert in sensing the slightest weakness in that same roar.
And so it was with this aging lion. The hyenas with their prying eyes could read in his gait the old battles he had fought. His injuries had healed but each had left its mark on this warrior of many campaigns.
The hyena pack had formed a line of sorts between the lion and the watering hole. The lines had been drawn for there was no other source within range, nor would he get stronger by leaving it another day.
The hyenas “knew” a feeble roar means a feeble lion. But this time they had seriously miscalculated. His weakened roar was not a measure of fading powers. Even a lion can get laryngitis. They were picking on the wrong lion.
But what they had truly miscalculated and what they really had not reckoned on was what HE still knew. He was still a fucking lion, and a lion is king of the fucking jungle.
And they were still just a pack of hyenas. And to this lion on this day they were dodgy looking snacks on legs.
These hors d’oeuvres had cornered a lion. Always be careful what you corner.
“This beats chasing the bastards all over the plain,” the lion would have thought.
As he rounded on the hyenas, they froze, thrown off guard. What was he doing, moving towards them? The lion roared as, in the blink of an eye, he broke from a walk into a sprint. It was unlike any roar they had heard rise from a lion before, and it chilled them to the bone.
“Yippee Kie Yay, Motherfuckers!”

lion-hyena-war – Vidéo
http://videos.videopress.com/Gph0KLum/lion-hyena-war-vidc3a9o_std.original.jpg

http://wordpress.com/wp-content/plugins/video/assets/i/videopress.png?m=1341160161g

—————————————-
Note: Hyenas taste like chicken, but stringier, just in case you wondered.
—————————————-
I don’t know about you guys, but seeing our manager getting worked over by the media blood-suckers is a deeply painful sight. Whatever issues I might have with Arsene, he does have now and always will have my love and respect.

Arsene is known for always facing the media and always answering their questions, no matter how inane.
You would think that would earn him enough respect with the media. Meanwhile, on the other side of the country, that thug-bully Ferguson intimidates and abuses journos at will, both because that is who he is and because he believes they are not worth the seat they are sitting in. Perhaps he was right all along.
Some of the away supporters did sing You Dont Know What You’re Doing as they questioned the substitutions, a minority of supporters according to those who were there. We get that you journos asked the question, which is your right. And then asked it again and again and again, invoking the name of the poor, heroic, noble away supporters who had travelled up to the game and paid out all that money. Only it wasn’t the away supporters, it was the journalists who continued to harass Wenger after he gave them his answer and after he asked them repeatedly to move on, visibly wounded by the whole affair.
http://heblogswhenhewantsto.files.wordpress.com/2012/11/wenger-villa-anguish.jpg?w=620 (http://heblogswhenhewantsto.files.wordpress.com/2012/11/wenger-villa-anguish.jpg)
http://heblogswhenhewantsto.files.wordpress.com/2012/06/cropped-wenger-anguish-101.jpg?w=620 (http://heblogswhenhewantsto.files.wordpress.com/2012/06/cropped-wenger-anguish-101.jpg) http://heblogswhenhewantsto.files.wordpress.com/2012/05/arsene-wenger-in-the-rain-anguish.jpg?w=620 (http://heblogswhenhewantsto.files.wordpress.com/2012/05/arsene-wenger-in-the-rain-anguish.jpg)
http://heblogswhenhewantsto.files.wordpress.com/2012/11/wenger-anguish-16.jpg?w=620 (http://heblogswhenhewantsto.files.wordpress.com/2012/11/wenger-anguish-16.jpg)
http://heblogswhenhewantsto.files.wordpress.com/2012/11/wenger-anguish-151.jpg?w=620 (http://heblogswhenhewantsto.files.wordpress.com/2012/11/wenger-anguish-151.jpg)
Anyone could see that Wenger, during the match and in particular during the press conference, was suffering from the disappointment and frustration of another poor result, and from the taunts by SOME of his own supporters.
Guardian: Arsenal’s Arsène Wenger suffers fan revolt in Aston Villa quagmire
Telegraph: Fans turn on Wenger after Villa draw
Independent: Wenger fails to mend growing rift with angry fans
Mirror: Wenger hits back at Arsenal fans doubting his ability to manage (no he didn’t)
Metro: Arsene Wenger fires angry outburst at Arsenal fans (no he didn’t)
At the AGM some weeks ago, the supporters were in rebellious spirits and were demanding answers. In contrast to the generally angry tones with which the members of the board were questioned, it was notable the respect that the supporters held Wenger in, before, during and after his address. They had questions, and they had anger. But they had respect for their manager. And when they heard his address, the consensus was that the manager talked absolute sense, and carried the day. Because when you face Wenger in person, he is respectful and he makes sense.
These journalists think they can speak for our supporters. They think they can address him in person and speak for us or for the away supporters. These journos accuse Wenger of not respecting the Away Supporters because he did not want to debate his substitutions with the same journos SAF wipes off his shoes if they have the temerity to even question the ply of Old Trafford’s toilet paper. They accuse Wenger of wanting to create a rift between manager and supporter. Ironic.
Who the fuck do they think they are talking to? That man is the manager of our beloved club, and in our mind, the greatest club in England. We did not ask you to hound this man. We did not ask you to insult him by stating he had disrespected the supporters. We did not ask you to accuse him of creating a rift between manager and supporters.
Quite frankly, Fuck Off from using our names for your headline-seeking agenda. If you want to disrespect our manager, have the balls to do it in your own names, and not in the name of our supporters.
Arsene Wenger is facing perhaps his most challenging period at Arsenal. It is time for him, and the club to show they can transition back from a period of famine in resources to a period of plenty.
It is time to get back to being among the best and to being in contention instead of just being the best of the rest. As Kroenke’s representative, Gazidis has promised that this next couple of years will provide the resources for the club to ramp up quickly to challenge and win.
Gazidis had better step up with the necessaries and be unequivocal in the boards desire to win, and not just when talking to us or the media, but when talking to Arsene and particularly when it comes to the buying and selling of players.
You and I may disagree on many things related to Arsene, but just as he fought to keep Henry and Vieira at the club in past years, we all know he fought to keep Cesc, Nasri, van Persie and even Song (to a point) at the club. It is the board’s ambition I may question in the future, never Wenger’s. And it is the past board who said we would not become a selling club to pay for the stadium, but we did. One of Arsene’s many burdens to carry.
This jigsaw may being missing 2 or 3 pieces but by all accounts we have plenty of funds to acquire those pieces. If any one of you were to to go out for a few drinks with Arsene in order to voice the issues that frustrate our supporters and to talk through everything that ails Arsenal, you would come back from the meeting with an entirely new understanding of the challenges Arsene must overcome internally, of why he made the decisions he did, and of why he believes his vision for the club’s future will produce the kind of winning football our opponents can only admire.
So while your flirty eye is a-wandering around the room, remember who brought you to the dance.
And for those who are losing faith in the old lion, fear not: Wenger has too much class to stay beyond his welcome. If WE choose to tell Arsene to leave, he will leave. We don’t need the hyenas to do it in our names. That is why this attack by the journos seemed to cut Arsene so deep. They said it was we who were attacking him.
My personal belief is that Arsene has more great days ahead with our club. As long as his health holds up, studies show that an “executive” is reaching the peak of his powers in his 60′s, when he can utilize all of the experience he spent a working life accumulating. SAF did quite well throughout that decade.
You may not be so sure about Arsene.
In any case, we do have two thirds of a season plus 3 cup competitions ahead of us. We have won 2 of our last 3 matches including the NLD and CL qualification. We are unbeaten in our last 5.We are currently 6th in the table. So it’s a bit premature for the journos to be stoking the coals of crisis.
Let us discuss, debate and argue among ourselves with the confidence of a club that is not afraid of improving, changing and progressing. There should be all the room in the world for reasoned and sincere opinions and conversations. But let’s not have the journos draping over themselves the cloak of the Defender of the Faithful while they work their own agendas and storylines.
One of their favourite storylines these days is: “Arsenal in crisis: Is Wenger on the way out?” We’ve been here before, you will remember. And after they have done their damage to the club, and everything has settled down again, they will find a way of saying it was us not them that drove it, and that they defended Wenger against us.
You know how they write these articles: The headline will say “IS it Time for Wenger To Go?,” while the article will slate him and the team for the bulk of the piece. But there will be one line in there where the journo says that Wenger should be afforded more time.
For those who gained some measure of satisfaction that finally someone had broken through to Wenger, that someone had stirred the pot, do not give the media license to represent your views. You might cheer their first sentence, but you will hide in shame by the time they deliver their last.
If this club is The Arsenal, then our guiding principle is Victoria Concordia Crescit. The only word among those 3 that the supporters can control is CONCORDIA.
Be worthy of your club. by @poznaninmypants

thought thtis was an interesting read on wengers treatment by the media. i agree with it, you dont ahve to agree with wenger in or out, i dont htink this blog is about that, however its ideas on the media are spot on. thought it might be interesting for the rest of you to read however i have a feeling that this wont go well

Özim
27-11-2012, 11:19 AM
Why is Cristiano Ronaldo pictured in the first image?

http://s3.amazonaws.com/kidzworld_photo/images/201075/9e8d655b-04e0-44df-8923-9cfd2883b891/gallery_cristiano3.jpg

http://cristianoronaldofan.net/files/2010/03/cristiano-ronaldo-portugal-open-02943-300x180.jpg

Cripps_orig
27-11-2012, 11:23 AM
Good read

Kano
27-11-2012, 11:45 AM
ollie, that opening post is a bit of a mess, hard to find the relevant parts amongst all the animals and shit.

basically, wenger has to deal with it. he's no baby, but a grown up man who knows the coup. he plays games with them, they do it with him. he plays games with us, we chant at him. part and parcel.

the media will jump on any **** who gives them the chance. they don't care who he is.

and fair play to fergie if he treats them like the scum they are and they run scared of him. there are very few individuals in or outside of sport that can manage that.

whatever the meda are saying about wenger is in no way as damaging as the events happening within our club.

Joker
27-11-2012, 11:50 AM
Quite a bit of propaganda in that post, the writer's trying to paint Wenger as a passive victim, forced to work in circumstances not of his own choosing. Like others have said, the board and Wenger's ideologies are very similar, so I can't accept that Wenger is an innocent victim in all of this.

Ollie the Optimist
27-11-2012, 11:52 AM
ollie, that opening post is a bit of a mess, hard to find the relevant parts amongst all the animals and shit.

basically, wenger has to deal with it. he's no baby, but a grown up man who knows the coup. he plays games with them, they do it with him. he plays games with us, we chant at him. part and parcel.

the media will jump on any **** who gives them the chance. they don't care who he is.

and fair play to fergie if he treats them like the scum they are and they run scared of him. there are very few individuals in or outside of sport that can manage that.

whatever the meda are saying about wenger is in no way as damaging as the events happening within our club.

hmm i think an argument could be made that the two are interlinked in a way. the media report we are close to signing x player, whereas in reality we havnt even considered them, fans get angry and moan because of what htey read in the media, problems arise etc.

the problem is the media listen to fans such as piers morgan, and the minority who chant you dont know you are doing (saturday was a minority according to most at the game) and take what they say as what every arsenal fan feels/wants etc and that causes problems

Özim
27-11-2012, 11:55 AM
I think the majority think he doesn't now what he's doing now to be honest. It's the minority that don't.

Kano
27-11-2012, 12:01 PM
hmm i think an argument could be made that the two are interlinked in a way. the media report we are close to signing x player, whereas in reality we havnt even considered them, fans get angry and moan because of what htey read in the media, problems arise etc.

the problem is the media listen to fans such as piers morgan, and the minority who chant you dont know you are doing (saturday was a minority according to most at the game) and take what they say as what every arsenal fan feels/wants etc and that causes problems
if in general we were more competitive on the pitch, i think the speculation off it wouldn't matter so much. look at city. either its player bust ups, management speculation or new player bids but given their position in the league, the fans only care about that. it's only when things are quite negative that all the other shit becomes a concern for us. think about it, how much thought did we give to boardroom activity back in 03/04?

Joker
27-11-2012, 12:03 PM
I can't see how the media are responsible for the problems within the club. The fans are annoyed because of the stagnation and decline that we've witnessed over the last 6 years, and especially the lack of effort to correct for the under-investment in the squad. You can't blame the media for that. Even if we agree that the media have spuriously linked us to players in the past even though we weren't interested, that's beside the point. If anything it makes things worse, at least if we were attempting to properly supplement the squad with quality players, you could argue we knew there was a problem and were trying to fix it. If it's true that we were never in for Mata, Alonso, Cahill, that shows an even greater disregard for improving the squad.

LDG
27-11-2012, 12:03 PM
I think the majority think he doesn't now what he's doing now to be honest. It's the minority that don't.

Oh I think he knows exactly what he's doing. It's his crusade.

The difference is whether people believe in him anymore, and that is where I feel the majority don't...or at the very least, have big doubts.

Niall_Quinn
27-11-2012, 12:26 PM
I can't see how the media are responsible for the problems within the club. The fans are annoyed because of the stagnation and decline that we've witnessed over the last 6 years, and especially the lack of effort to correct for the under-investment in the squad. You can't blame the media for that. Even if we agree that the media have spuriously linked us to players in the past even though we weren't interested, that's beside the point. If anything it makes things worse, at least if we were attempting to properly supplement the squad with quality players, you could argue we knew there was a problem and were trying to fix it. If it's true that we were never in for Mata, Alonso, Cahill, that shows an even greater disregard for improving the squad.

Who is trying to say the media is responsible for the problems at the club? I mean really?

The article is from a fan who's standing up and saying sure, if we have problems with Wenger we'll voice them. But we don't need to hide behind the British scum media to do it and we certainly don't need to let those ****s speak in our name. It sums up my feelings very well and the more the media get on Wenger's case the more I'll support him because I have never had a problem lining up on the right side in a fight between us and them and neither do I dance with whores.

Niall_Quinn
27-11-2012, 12:32 PM
Oh I think he knows exactly what he's doing. It's his crusade.

The difference is whether people believe in him anymore, and that is where I feel the majority don't...or at the very least, have big doubts.

It's not a question of belief any more. We don't believe him, do we? When all is said and done. This is a question of respect, gratitude and dignity. We can say thanks for the memory Arsene but now it's time to part company, or we can rant and rave about the place hurling obscenities at the man while we rub ourselves against AIDS ridden Oliver Holt in a show of temporary and nauseating solidarity. Ollie can sell his rag and get his money and we can bring in some hero figure to win us a pot. I guess we just put up with the self inflicted dose of AIDS that will be the cost of that pot. But at least we got the pot, right? It's the pot that counts, fuck human decency.

Özim
27-11-2012, 12:38 PM
It's not a question of belief any more. We don't believe him, do we? When all is said and done. This is a question of respect, gratitude and dignity. We can say thanks for the memory Arsene but now it's time to part company, or we can rant and rave about the place hurling obscenities at the man while we rub ourselves against AIDS ridden Oliver Holt in a show of temporary and nauseating solidarity. Ollie can sell his rag and get his money and we can bring in some hero figure to win us a pot. I guess we just put up with the self inflicted dose of AIDS that will be the cost of that pot. But at least we got the pot, right? It's the pot that counts, fuck human decency.
I'd like to ask what respect Wenger shows the fans? In recent years he's blamed them for all and sundry and refused to answer/address their concerns. Respect is earned and IMO he has no respect for the fans so I'm not sure why he deserves any.

The players and the board are his concerns that's clear, the fans don't even come into it.

Ollie the Optimist
27-11-2012, 12:40 PM
I'd like to ask what respect Wenger shows the fans? In recent years he's blamed them for all and sundry and refused to answer/address their concerns. Respect is earned and IMO he has no respect for the fans so I'm not sure why he deserves any.

The players and the board are his concerns that's clear, the fans don't even come into it.

have you got any evidence for that? i can think of hill wood saying we fans are lucky to get fourth and all that bollocks, but i genuinely cant think of wenger ever blaming us

LDG
27-11-2012, 12:41 PM

Not like you to over-react :lol:

Özim
27-11-2012, 12:46 PM
have you got any evidence for that? i can think of hill wood saying we fans are lucky to get fourth and all that bollocks, but i genuinely cant think of wenger ever blaming us
Adebayor? Remember that, he blamed the fans for this.

Perhaps blame isn't entirely right but patronising certainly is including saying "'They're lucky to have a young team with a magnificent talent who can do extremely well." and now telling us we effectively don't deserve any answers.

He sweeps all of people's concerns under the carpet with the old "I know better than you" card, if that's the case, maybe he should start delivering on the pitch then.

Niall_Quinn
27-11-2012, 12:48 PM
Not like you to over-react :lol:

Not addressed at you, I was just using the idea you'd chucked in. It was addressed at the gentlemen who are currently standing up with all sorts of undesirables to take a dump on our manger. To my mind these gentlemen are utter ****s.

Olivier's xmas twist
27-11-2012, 12:48 PM

Thing with PHW as much as people hate him, he does talk sense. His problem is he is old school The old" Like it or Lump it". Its the way he says things like a stbborn old man.

Joker
27-11-2012, 12:51 PM
Thing with PHW as much as people hate him, he does talk sense. His problem is he is old school The old" Like it or Lump it". Its the way he says things like a stbborn old man.

What has he talked sense about?

She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
27-11-2012, 12:57 PM

id show him more respect if he wasn't robbing me of my money and insulting my intelligence at the same time.

you earn respect but its no god given formality that you keep it eternally.

it's a 2 way thing.

i respected tony blair before he decided to wage an unnecessary war on iraq. do i respect him now? no.

actions speak louder than words.

Niall_Quinn
27-11-2012, 12:59 PM
id show him more respect if he wasn't robbing me of my money and insulting my intelligence at the same time.

you earn respect but its no god given formality that you keep it eternally.

it's a 2 way thing.

i respected tony blair before he decided to wage an unnecessary war on iraq. do i respect him now? no.

actions speak louder than words.

How is he robbing you of your money?

She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
27-11-2012, 01:17 PM
by serving us the highest ticket prices in the country for a wish-wash of shit they impudently call The Arsenal, displayed in a soulless superbowl they call the emirates stadium.

and then if that wasnt bad enough, they pocket my spare change, make their millions and defiantly question anyone who speaks up, leaving us peasants to bicker in the gutter.

LDG
27-11-2012, 01:22 PM
Who the fuck are you calling a peasant?!

Olivier's xmas twist
27-11-2012, 01:38 PM
Why is Cristiano Ronaldo pictured in the first image?

http://s3.amazonaws.com/kidzworld_photo/images/201075/9e8d655b-04e0-44df-8923-9cfd2883b891/gallery_cristiano3.jpg

http://cristianoronaldofan.net/files/2010/03/cristiano-ronaldo-portugal-open-02943-300x180.jpg

:haha:

Roarnaldo

thought thtis was an interesting read on wengers treatment by the media. i agree with it, you dont ahve to agree with wenger in or out, i dont htink this blog is about that, however its ideas on the media are spot on. thought it might be interesting for the rest of you to read however i have a feeling that this wont go well

Lets be honest the medial have always treated British Managers better. If it was harry that got sacked from chavs, the press would still be going on about how should still be there etc and how Roman was wrong.

Though even When AW winning this they gave him a hard time. He does act Stupid at times giving them a reason to write shit, say shit on TS, 606 etc. Though they do favour Harry who in their eyes can do no wrong. The media are scum anyways and most of the articles they write ar rubbish too.

The article was a good read though.

Niall_Quinn
27-11-2012, 02:04 PM
by serving us the highest ticket prices in the country for a wish-wash of shit they impudently call The Arsenal, displayed in a soulless superbowl they call the emirates stadium.

and then if that wasnt bad enough, they pocket my spare change, make their millions and defiantly question anyone who speaks up, leaving us peasants to bicker in the gutter.

So are you talking about Wenger or the board? Wenger doesn't set the ticket prices and nobody forces you through the gate. You aren't being robbed, you are choosing to pay the prices. You know what's on offer and you don't like it, you feel you don't get value. The power is in your hands when it comes to the cost.

Again, I find it reasonable to criticise Wenger for many things but some of these charges are completely invalid.

Boss
27-11-2012, 02:39 PM
Couldn't give two fucks about how the media treat Wenger, tbh.

She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
27-11-2012, 02:42 PM
So are you talking about Wenger or the board? Wenger doesn't set the ticket prices and nobody forces you through the gate. You aren't being robbed, you are choosing to pay the prices. You know what's on offer and you don't like it, you feel you don't get value. The power is in your hands when it comes to the cost.

Again, I find it reasonable to criticise Wenger for many things but some of these charges are completely invalid.

who contributes to the 'wish-wash of shit they impudently call The Arsenal' then? wenger. and the fact we charge the highest ticket prices in the country based on what many would say are unreasonable grounds, means he doesn't escape the brunt of the anger. what am i meant to do, avoid watching and supporting the team i love just because some power nut wants to do things his way? by your definition, only those that support wenger, not arsenal, should be going to the games, and all the others should stop supporting arsenal until wenger leaves. isnt it arsenal fc not wenger fc? do we have to conform to wenger in order to watch our team? what kind of an argument is that?

we live in a democracy and under those rules we have every right to contest each decision.

and the board and manager are not mutually exclusive, both have had a major say in where we find ourselves in. i call hill-wood exactly what i call wenger but you choose to ignore that. the power is in your hands when it comes to quoting posts.

IBK
27-11-2012, 02:43 PM
I have little sympathy for Wenger.

He has presided over an era of unprecedented spin and bullshit from AFC, and increasingly, every time he takes decisions that fly in the face either of common sense, or the club's statements, all we are fed is more bullshit.

I have been thinking about why it feels so bad to be an Arsenal fan, and for me it comes down to the utter lack of transparency and respect shown by the club to its fans.

Should Gooners be happy at seeing:

- The captain of their club/best players sold almost every year
- Perserverence with and big wages spent on with players whom logic dictates are either never going to be good enough or are never going to be fit
- The highest ticket prices in Europe
- An increasingly bland and unsuccessful (relative to our recent past) style of football
- Bizzare decisions taken on the pitch that almost always backfire?

Each of the above on their own might be explainable. The problem is that they are never explained. Never commented on. We are just fed more and more bullshit -and make no mistake - this is a Wenger trait as much as it is an American one.

I am not saying that any club is a paragon of fan worship - but I can only think of one or two clubs that have shown as much disdain for fans as Arsenal, and those - Mike Ashley's Newcastle and Abramovich's Chelsea at least have (relative) recent success to sweeten the medicine.

For me - Wenger's response to what was admittedly an impudent question on Saturday summed up how he thinks. However the question was phrased, would it have been to much to at least offer some explanation for his decision to bring on Coquelin. Instead he bridled at the suggestion that the move had been bizzare. And that for me is in part why we Gooners feel so frustrated,.

Its fine to be arrogant and distant when things are going well. When they are not - it looks like contempt. Our club professes to have only the best interests of the club at heart. Bullshit. Any football club is the fans - and we are made to feel like we are a mere commodity while everyone - from owner to board to manager pursue their own agendas with no regard whatsoever to the likes of us.

Would the observer feel so sorry for the old lion if it had just sauntered over, mauled your dog and then pissed on your shoes? Probably not.

Niall_Quinn
27-11-2012, 02:51 PM
who contributes to the 'wish-wash of shit they impudently call The Arsenal' then? wenger. and the fact we charge the highest ticket prices in the country based on what many would say are unreasonable grounds, means he doesn't escape the brunt of the anger. what am i meant to do, avoid watching and supporting the team i love just because some power nut wants to do things his way? by your definition, only those that support wenger, not arsenal, should be going to the games, and all the others should stop supporting arsenal until wenger leaves. isnt it arsenal fc not wenger fc? do we have to conform to wenger in order to watch our team? what kind of an argument is that?

we live in a democracy and under those rules we have every right to contest each decision.

and the board and manager are not mutually exclusive, both have had a major say in where we find ourselves in. i call hill-wood exactly what i call wenger but you choose to ignore that. the power is in your hands when it comes to quoting posts.

What I'm saying is you can't be robbed if you willingly hand over the money. Surely this is just a fact? Not sure what the bit about PHW refers to.

She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
27-11-2012, 03:51 PM
football isnt that simple. its not black and white. we willingly hand over our money because we support arsenal fc not wenger fc. football is in this unprecedented position where it can mug you because of the unconditional love born at childhood. but that doesnt mean we cant complain. in fact, if we're going to be that pedantic, then those that go games have more right to complain seeing as our money is used inefficiently.

Olivier's xmas twist
27-11-2012, 03:58 PM
I have little sympathy for Wenger.

He has presided over an era of unprecedented spin and bullshit from AFC, and increasingly, every time he takes decisions that fly in the face either of common sense, or the club's statements, all we are fed is more bullshit.

I have been thinking about why it feels so bad to be an Arsenal fan, and for me it comes down to the utter lack of transparency and respect shown by the club to its fans.

Should Gooners be happy at seeing:

- The captain of their club/best players sold almost every year
- Perserverence with and big wages spent on with players whom logic dictates are either never going to be good enough or are never going to be fit
- The highest ticket prices in Europe
- An increasingly bland and unsuccessful (relative to our recent past) style of football
- Bizzare decisions taken on the pitch that almost always backfire?

Each of the above on their own might be explainable. The problem is that they are never explained. Never commented on. We are just fed more and more bullshit -and make no mistake - this is a Wenger trait as much as it is an American one.

I am not saying that any club is a paragon of fan worship - but I can only think of one or two clubs that have shown as much disdain for fans as Arsenal, and those - Mike Ashley's Newcastle and Abramovich's Chelsea at least have (relative) recent success to sweeten the medicine.

For me - Wenger's response to what was admittedly an impudent question on Saturday summed up how he thinks. However the question was phrased, would it have been to much to at least offer some explanation for his decision to bring on Coquelin. Instead he bridled at the suggestion that the move had been bizzare. And that for me is in part why we Gooners feel so frustrated,.

Its fine to be arrogant and distant when things are going well. When they are not - it looks like contempt. Our club professes to have only the best interests of the club at heart. Bullshit. Any football club is the fans - and we are made to feel like we are a mere commodity while everyone - from owner to board to manager pursue their own agendas with no regard whatsoever to the likes of us.

Would the observer feel so sorry for the old lion if it had just sauntered over, mauled your dog and then pissed on your shoes? Probably not.

Angry IBK scares me.

Couldn't give two fucks about how the media treat Wenger, tbh.

:gp:

Olivier's xmas twist
27-11-2012, 04:04 PM
football isnt that simple. its not black and white. we willingly hand over our money because we support arsenal fc not wenger fc. football is in this unprecedented position where it can mug you because of the unconditional love born at childhood. but that doesnt mean we cant complain. in fact, if we're going to be that pedantic, then those that go games have more right to complain seeing as our money is used inefficiently.

Well they are the only fans the board/manager take seriously. They bring in the money. Think what NQ was getting at was if your not happy then why pay. This has been happening for a few seasons now, people moan about this but still pay to go to games.

Maybe if the fans did boycott a better message would be sent to the Board/Manager. I don't plan on watching the boys, well pay to watch them till this shite is sorted out, i won't let myself get mugged off then complain about it.

She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
27-11-2012, 04:22 PM
i pay because i love the club, not the board or the manager. and i have boycotted home games, not stepping foot into that shower of shit until professor nutcase has left. ill keep going away games because i think the boys deserve support when stepping into another mans territory but even that is fading. and anyway, isnt it dangerous to set your precedent the way you have? are you characterising those who should go to games as those who support wenger, and that everyone else shouldnt? doesnt that make it wenger fc, not arsenal fc?

Niall_Quinn
27-11-2012, 04:38 PM

I'm not saying you can't complain, I complain enough myself. As fans of course we have the right to complain. All I asked was how are you being robbed? It sounds like you are really saying you are robbed of the club you would like to see and robbed of your expectations, not robbed financially. I'd agree with that, I hate the bastards that have come in to scalp the club. I won't buy a ticket or a shirt until they are gone and I prefer to steal coverage off the Internet when I can. So I suppose if anyone is robbing anyone financially it is me robbing them. I can live with it.

She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
27-11-2012, 04:44 PM
robbed financially, robbed of expectation, robbed of winning trophies, robbed of atmosphere at emirates, robbed of being robbed.

i feel like a homeless man sitting on the street corner.

any change, kind sir?

Injury Time
27-11-2012, 04:50 PM
his name rhymed with *******, he was always fucked tbh. He's never really helped himself and lets face it he doesnt really mix it up with 'the lack of sharpness' blah blah as it gives the hacks fuck all to work with, so a few drops of blood of fan disatisfaction gets them in frenzy. I dont listen to him anymore nor the hacks...just the GW ones :ilt:

Injury Time
27-11-2012, 04:55 PM
robbed financially, robbed of expectation, robbed of winning trophies, robbed of atmosphere at emirates, robbed of being robbed.

i feel like a homeless man sitting on the street corner.

any change, kind sir?
Thank you for your interest in our affairs, however you have nothing left to offer the club, you may now become bitter and twisted and work as a pundit or a mod.

Olivier's xmas twist
27-11-2012, 04:59 PM
i pay because i love the club, not the board or the manager. and i have boycotted home games, not stepping foot into that shower of shit until professor nutcase has left. ill keep going away games because i think the boys deserve support when stepping into another mans territory but even that is fading. and anyway, isnt it dangerous to set your precedent the way you have?

I don't doubt you love the team, there are fans who have cancelled Season tickets who still love the club and are making a stand.

are you characterising those who should go to games as those who support wenger, and that everyone else shouldnt? doesnt that make it wenger fc, not arsenal fc?

No i'm saying if you moaning about change and want to force the board/AW out the best way to do that is by not going to games, selling season tickets and hitting them where it hurts. It does not make you less of a fan to do this makes you a fed up one. My point is its those that go to games can make the diffrence, those at home the board won't even think twice about how they feel.

I never said if you go to games then you support Wenger. So please don't put words in my mouth.

She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
27-11-2012, 08:10 PM
no thats true, boycotting games is the best way to hit them but realistically speaking, when has that ever happened? when will it ever happen? there is always a conveyor belt of casual fans that will keep stan rich for at least the next couple of years. but i agree, people are starting to wake up and smell the coffee, although boycotting games is still a slow process. we still attract crowds of 55k so it'll take years to get it down to 20k-30k where it will actually make a difference. but by then stan will be long gone my friend, basking in his millions, sipping whiskey in barbados and asking hill-wood for a toke on his cuban cigar.

where will we be? fuck knows. hopefully not too screwed.

Niall_Quinn
27-11-2012, 08:32 PM
no thats true, boycotting games is the best way to hit them but realistically speaking, when has that ever happened? when will it ever happen? there is always a conveyor belt of casual fans that will keep stan rich for at least the next couple of years. but i agree, people are starting to wake up and smell the coffee, although boycotting games is still a slow process. we still attract crowds of 55k so it'll take years to get it down to 20k-30k where it will actually make a difference. but by then stan will be long gone my friend, basking in his millions, sipping whiskey in barbados and asking hill-wood for a toke on his cuban cigar.

I don't know why PHW and his cronies are still here. They had their pay day. Continuity is one thing but what purpose can PHW possibly serve that couldn't be replicated by a much cheaper and more socially aware chimpanzee?

I don't think many games would have to be boycotted, and maybe not even the home games. If the hardcore away fans stopped turning up, just for a couple of games, that would be enough to cause a storm that might force Kroenke into making a few minor adjustments in the fan's favour. Empty sections at away matches would be pretty powerful. Like a half executed threat and a message the fans are prepared to do more than wave banners or wear T-shirts.

The fans could gather at the Emirates instead, maybe. In Scream masks with machetes.

Injury Time
27-11-2012, 08:33 PM

Was shocked to find out guy I knew had packed up his (2) club level tickets after we sold RvC, this guy had been to every game home and away for years and years (inc the european matches); however I'm sure you saw the research re football tourists and how much they spend per game compared to the regulars (like myself that have learnt that a the new pies are gash), loyalty for Arsenal doesn't pay...

Niall_Quinn
27-11-2012, 08:38 PM
Was shocked to find out guy I knew had packed up his (2) club level tickets after we sold RvC, this guy had been to every game home and away for years and years (inc the european matches); however I'm sure you saw the research re football tourists and how much they spend per game compared to the regulars (like myself that have learnt that a the new pies are gash), loyalty for Arsenal doesn't pay...

Not the away games though, you won't get the tourists on a train to Wigan on a snowy night.

Injury Time
27-11-2012, 08:41 PM
Not the away games though, you won't get the tourists on a train to Wigan on a snowy night.

I have been that tourist, shit pies there too :(

Niall_Quinn
27-11-2012, 08:43 PM

There's always one.

I mean Quentin and Crispin won't be able to make it,

Niall_Quinn
27-11-2012, 08:43 PM

There's always one.

Injury Time
27-11-2012, 08:53 PM
There's always one.

If you mean a Taxi driver called Dave and his mrs then yeah

She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
27-11-2012, 09:00 PM
I don't know why PHW and his cronies are still here. They had their pay day. Continuity is one thing but what purpose can PHW possibly serve that couldn't be replicated by a much cheaper and more socially aware chimpanzee?

I don't think many games would have to be boycotted, and maybe not even the home games. If the hardcore away fans stopped turning up, just for a couple of games, that would be enough to cause a storm that might force Kroenke into making a few minor adjustments in the fan's favour. Empty sections at away matches would be pretty powerful. Like a half executed threat and a message the fans are prepared to do more than wave banners or wear T-shirts.

The fans could gather at the Emirates instead, maybe. In Scream masks with machetes.

stan will keep him here as a thank you for making him shit loads of money. hill-wood will no doubt have played the 'im arsenal through and through gov'nor, me old man and his dog used to come here and i inherited the shares through generations of family. i lurve the club more than anyone in this world' line. with fiszman gone, dein gone and lady nina gone, hill-wood is the last spearhead from The Arsenal remaining. he represents the past and wont be gone anytime soon, him and stan are probably best friends. hill-wood is a multimillionaire after selling up and stan's long term portfolio will now sky rocket.

will away fans really make a difference? im not sure. picture the imagery of an empty emirates though, the media would have a field day. that's where the money is and where it can really hurt stan. i wont stop going away days completely but it's now once every blue moon. away days are fun, well at least they used to be- stepping foot into another territory with your head held up high and a fuck you to everyone in the city centre cause you're the top dogs. long gone are them days im afraid, now we usually keep our head down in embarrassment post match.

http://www.arsenalpics.com/image/arsene_wenger_arsenal_celebrates_winning_the_leagu e_50043.jpg

how can he not miss these days? fucking brings a tear to my eye.

gooners
27-11-2012, 09:36 PM

'we want our arsenal back' is not much of an obscenity! Unless internet rants offend YOU that much --- i don't think so though considering the filth you have unreservedly dished out at the board, rvp etc without having any full set of facts to go by ;)

gooners
27-11-2012, 09:38 PM
I don't know why PHW and his cronies are still here.

I am sure it is the same reason Wenger is still here; they think they have more to give (sorry, take):good:

gooners
27-11-2012, 09:50 PM

What if that lion had previously saved you from an attack by a wild cat? --- that is NQ's sentiment. That and also if the lion was 'forced' into that gruesome act by ubiquitous 'hard times'.

my answer? -- i will fuck up the lion but i will not piss on it in return (is that ok, NQ) :angel:

Xhaka Can’t
27-11-2012, 10:10 PM

I love snow me.

Kano
27-11-2012, 10:21 PM
I love snow me.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NtILxBszyf8

Xhaka Can’t
27-11-2012, 10:21 PM
:lol:

Niall_Quinn
27-11-2012, 10:40 PM
'we want our arsenal back' is not much of an obscenity! Unless internet rants offend YOU that much --- i don't think so though considering the filth you have unreservedly dished out at the board, rvp etc without having any full set of facts to go by ;)

The question being, should fans play into the hands of the scummy media? The article is really having a dig at the pack trailing behind the hyenas. We want our Arsenal back? Nothing wrong with that. We want to pile on as the media does it's dirty work? That's the debate right there. I don't, even though it may be upsetting for some.

Like I have said, not a penny in, profits on transfer day and £500mill into the pockets of the old boys who didn't want his sort here but had a misaculous change of heart. Which of these facts are you struggling with?

Niall_Quinn
27-11-2012, 10:41 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NtILxBszyf8

What language was that?

LDG
29-11-2012, 11:29 AM
http://news.arseblog.com/2012/11/super-massive-mega-exclusive-zaha-storm-all-guff/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook

Here’s a question posed to Arsene Wenger in Thursday’s pre-Everton press conference by a bloke looking to write a transfer story because it gets hits for his website and is a good headline in the newspaper:

“Talking of young players you’ve been strongly linked with Wilfried Zaha, he’s an England international now, is there interest there?”

Arsene Wenger, refusing to name check the young Crystal Palace attacker, responds:

“We are looking at every player that could strengthen our squad, but he’s not more on the list than anybody else.”

A selection of the myriad headlines which appeared in the ensuing 48 hours…

Daily Mail: Get Zaha! Wenger confirms Arsenal interest in signing £20m-rated Crystal Palace and England winger in January

Goal.com: Wenger confirms Arsenal interest in Zaha

Daily Mirror: He’s on the list: Wenger confirms Arsenal will move for Zaha in January

London24: Zaha is on Wenger’s shopping list

Clubcall.com: Gunners battle for Zaha

Ian Holloway, who presumably doesn’t have an Arsenal Player membership, gets fed a radically twisted version of Wenger’s comments in his press conference on Friday and retorts:

“Why is he talking about my players? I don’t think that’s right and proper, with the greatest respect.

“I don’t think anybody who manages any other club should actually admit who he likes and what he should be doing. I think that’s totally bad etiquette. He can say what he likes but about his players, not mine.”

Selection of headlines which have appeared in the last 24 hours…

Daily Mail: EXCLUSIVE: Why is Wenger talking about Zaha? Palace boss Holloway with fierce ‘hands off’ warning

The Sun: Holloway Rages at Wenger / Ollie’s not so jolly

Goal.com: Wenger’s confirmation of Zaha interest angers Crystal Palace boss Holloway

Sky Sports: Crystal Palace boss Ian Holloway annoyed with Arsene Wenger over talk of Arsenal move for Wilfried Zaha

Teamtalk.com: Holloway annoyed with Wenger

Arseblog News isn’t going to criticise Holloway, the bloke has merely been used as a pawn in a game of ‘let’s-write-the-most-extreme-attention-grabbing-headline-ever-fuck-the-consequences-it’ll-be-fun-to-start-a-war.’

We don’t really need to point out where the blame lies, although we do feel it’s worth highlighting the above as a warning ahead of the impending two-month silly season period. Do yourself a favour don’t believe everything you read.

Are we interested in Zaha? Who knows…frankly Arseblog News couldn’t give a flying fuck at the moment.

:haha:

Fist of Lehmann
29-11-2012, 11:45 AM
“We are looking at every player that could strengthen our squad, but he’s not more on the list than anybody else.”

Classic Wonget.

But that's quite a lot of players tbh.

McNamara That Ghost...
29-11-2012, 03:11 PM
Wengerbot initiated.

LDG
29-11-2012, 03:36 PM
Wengerbot initiated.

TK421 Why are you not at your post?

McNamara That Ghost...
29-11-2012, 03:54 PM
Do you copy?

Ollie the Optimist
29-11-2012, 08:25 PM
ian holloway quotes on another player from a year ago
when asked about an interest in Adam Hammill in January 2011: "There are lots of people who would be interested in Adam Hammill. His agent has done a good job and there is a clause in his contract which guarantees you can get him.

"We're not the only ones who know that, but we like the boy and we've had him on loan here. But he's not my player and there are a lot of things that have got to happen before he is. There are a lot of other clubs who want him, so the boy is in a great situation."