PDA

View Full Version : pay cuts for failure to get top four

Ollie the Optimist
30-11-2012, 01:25 PM
Arsenal players will be forced into taking significant wage cuts if they fail to qualify for the Champions League.The club are currently attempting to tie down a clutch of their core players to long-term contracts.
But Sportsmail can reveal those new deals will include Champions League failure clauses that will essentially result in players taking home less money if they fail to make Europe’s elite competition.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2012/11/29/article-0-16420FB2000005DC-926_468x286.jpgShow me the money: Arsenal are preparing for the worst with some of their senior players facing a wage cut if they fail to qualify for the Champions League

Players who are in talks over new deals include Carl Jenkinson, Kieran Gibbs, Alex Oxlade- Chamberlain, Jack Wilshere, Theo Walcott and Bacary Sagna.
The decision from the Gunners hierarchy has been made to protect the club financially should they miss out on the cash windfall linked to Champions League qualification. The clauses stipulate a player will not receive full bonuses if they miss out on the top four.
The move provides a clear indication that substantial concerns are emerging from within Arsenal, who have been Champions League mainstays during the modern era, that they may miss out this season.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2012/11/29/article-2240558-163BB9B9000005DC-585_468x286.jpgWhy does it rain on me? Arsene Wenger has faced a fan backlash this season

While the club view the decision as making business sense, the move is likely to frustrate fans who have seen their best players walk away over the past two seasons.
An Arsenal spokesman said on Thursday night: ‘Each player has an individual contract which contains elements of performance-related payments, which are linked to a player’s individual contribution and also to the club’s progress in both domestic and European competitions. This is normal practice across football clubs.’
Meanwhile, Sportsmail understands Sagna has been offered a one-year extension by the Gunners. Sagna’s deal expires at the end of next season. He is said to want a longer-term deal and discussions are ongoing.
Arsenal are also believed to be heading to Germany tomorrow to watch Schalke striker Klaas-Jan Huntelaar. He has scored in both his Champions League games against the Gunners this season.And speaking to French television on Wednesday night, Wenger confirmed Arsenal want to sign two players in January as well as bringing back Thierry Henry for a third spell at the club.
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2012/11/29/article-2240558-1615EFFB000005DC-829_468x286.jpgHome boy: Club legend Thierry Henry could return to Arsenal for a third spell

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2012/11/29/article-0-16431772000005DC-815_306x384.jpgOne year deal: Bacary Sagna

He said: 'This winter we will work very hard because we have some funds available. It could happen that we buy two players, but I cannot reveal the names.
'A loan [for Henry] is still a possibility, but we will still try to strengthen for the long term.
'Henry is the talent that you dream to have. He has fantastic physique, fantastic technique, a fantastic brain, all built together in one man. At the start he was not confident enough but he has gone on to show what a great player he is.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2240690/Arsenal-stars-facing-wage-cut-fail-qualify-Champions-League-EXCLUSIVE.html#ixzz2DiCqWTcu
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter (http://ec.tynt.com/b/rw?id=bBOTTqvd0r3Pooab7jrHcU&u=MailOnline) | DailyMail on Facebook (http://ec.tynt.com/b/rf?id=bBOTTqvd0r3Pooab7jrHcU&u=DailyMail)

i completely agree with Arsenal on this on. we moan players are paid to much for not getting much, well now if they want the money they actually have to earn it so to speak. as some say, there is no loyalty in club football anymore only for money, so if they are driven by money this could work as will motivate them to actually get that money.

Marc Overmars
30-11-2012, 01:39 PM
Covering their arses because they know there's a good chance we might finish outside the top 4 now.

She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
might go 2 ways

1. good to stop spending so much on average players. clearly they want to reduce the wage bill.
2. shows a complete lack of ambition and only means players will keep on leaving. instead of looking to implement wage cut clauses, they should be investing in the squad and looking to implement title winning clauses. but we're happy for mediocre, trophyless seasons which means players will keep on leaving when they don't win trophies and can earn elsewhere without having to take wage cuts too.

Xhaka Can’t
i completely agree with Arsenal on this on. we moan players are paid to much for not getting much, well now if they want the money they actually have to earn it so to speak. as some say, there is no loyalty in club football anymore only for money, so if they are driven by money this could work as will motivate them to actually get that money.

What do you completely agree with Arsenal on?

The article is nothing but pure conjecture without one substantive point or quote related to either the article's first line or what 'Sportsmail can exclusively reveal'.

I can exclusively reveal that the author pulled this story out of his ass.

She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
30-11-2012, 01:43 PM
i like this new GB. level headed but has a streak of fire too.

where can i buy neon lights for my name?

Dennis Bendtner
30-11-2012, 01:49 PM
An Arsenal spokesman said on Thursday night: ‘Each player has an individual contract which contains elements of performance-related payments, which are linked to a player’s individual contribution and also to the club’s progress in both domestic and European competitions. This is normal practice across football clubs.’

Did anyone apart from the Mail not think this was normal practice?

What a waste of a story.

Power n Glory
30-11-2012, 01:49 PM
If true, I wouldn't agreen with it because it shows a lack of ambition and it's a worry that we're thinking along those lines. It's type of thing that could hold up contract talks.

Also, do the same rules apply to Wenger and Gazidis? It's a clause that protects bad management in my opinion.

She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
30-11-2012, 01:52 PM
i think we all know the answer to that.

Xhaka Can’t
30-11-2012, 01:54 PM
If true, I wouldn't agreen with it because it shows a lack of ambition and it's a worry that we're thinking along those lines. It's type of thing that could hold up contract talks.

Also, do the same rules apply to Wenger and Gazidis? It's a clause that protects bad management in my opinion.

Lets suppose this is true though I suspect basic pay is basic pay, but bonuses are another story - the point in bold, that is what I'd like to know about.

Actually, scratch that - I only want to know when someone at this Club be they owner, CEO, Board member, Manager or player is actually held accountable for anything.

LDG
30-11-2012, 02:40 PM
It's good to hear that the ticket prices will come down in line with that too.

Fairness. That's what I like about our board.

Letters
30-11-2012, 02:42 PM

http://epltalk.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/peter-hill-wood.jpg

Niall_Quinn
30-11-2012, 02:52 PM

One way street. Always.

Kano
30-11-2012, 02:55 PM
Covering their arses because they know there's a good chance we might finish outside the top 4 now.
and there we have it

GP
30-11-2012, 02:55 PM
Makes sense.

People complain that a lot of the squad is overpaid, now we're saying 'perform to a high level or take a cut'

Nowt to do with ambition. I can't see any problem here.

Ollie the Optimist
30-11-2012, 03:11 PM
What do you completely agree with Arsenal on?

The article is nothing but pure conjecture without one substantive point or quote related to either the article's first line or what 'Sportsmail can exclusively reveal'.

I can exclusively reveal that the author pulled this story out of his ass.

fine, it arsenal were doing this then i completely agree with it. if the article is bollocks, then i htink they hsould do it. better?

LDG
30-11-2012, 03:16 PM
KILL THEM ALL!! FUCK THEM!! THEY SHOULD ALL FUCKING DIE THE ****S

Ollie the Optimist
30-11-2012, 03:20 PM
i do find it interesting that i have seen people (elsewhere rather then on here as such) defend players being paid money for underperforming and not getting cuts etc for failing, yet they dont htink wenger is justified his salary for not winning.

i cant see the difference between the two bar work ethic. a player might not be the best player in the world but if he puts in a shift ever time he plays, and for that im happy to see him paid and not suffer because although we havnt won, he has given everything to the cause. if he hasnt then he deserves less money and same for anyone else. with wenger, if he works hard and does his best then he does deserve it if he slacks off then he doesnt its simple.

however it becomes a case of do you reward indivduals even though the group has failed or punish/reward everyone equally. say out of the first 11, 10 have massively underperformed and we fail to hit our targets yet one player has owrked hard in every game and given everything to do his best for the club, can you punish the ten and reward the one player or is it just get hte target, get the money, fail and dont get the money?

Letters
30-11-2012, 03:28 PM
KILL THEM ALL!! FUCK THEM!! THEY SHOULD ALL FUCKING DIE THE ****S
lollie

SayNoMore
30-11-2012, 03:38 PM
Makes sense.

People complain that a lot of the squad is overpaid, now we're saying 'perform to a high level or take a cut'

Nowt to do with ambition. I can't see any problem here.

Spot on, i don't see how people are complaining.

Xhaka Can’t
30-11-2012, 03:47 PM
Spot on, i don't see how people are complaining.

That may be because no one has complained.

Sent from my HTC One S using Tapatalk 2

Niall_Quinn
30-11-2012, 03:49 PM

Not sure what the topic is - but I stand ready to complain about it, just give me the nod.

LDG
30-11-2012, 03:51 PM

PnG did....but......well, you know :console:

Xhaka Can’t
30-11-2012, 03:56 PM
So he did.

I don't see why anyone would complain about this.

The Wengerbabies
30-11-2012, 04:26 PM
Should be paycuts proportional to how many points off the Champions we finish.

The fact that finishing 4th is seen as some sort of achievement to aim for and be proud of is depressing

Injury Time
30-11-2012, 04:30 PM

The fact that finishing 4th is seen as some sort of achievement to aim for and be proud of is depressing
hello you must be new to Arsenal :blink:

Power n Glory
30-11-2012, 05:03 PM

Exactly. It's a bit regressive and protective of a spot we really should be pushing past.

gooners
30-11-2012, 08:38 PM
Exactly. It's a bit regressive and protective of a spot we really should be pushing past.

:gp:

People are actually ready to accept this? Just like our shit inflexible over 30s policy?

Unless this is implemnted league-wide prepare yourselves for proper midtable obscurity, if there is any substance to it. Because any remaining decent player will be off; and we will attract even more mediocre players :good:

GP
30-11-2012, 08:51 PM
Over-30s policy?

Is it 2006 again?

Dennis Bendtner
30-11-2012, 09:09 PM
Why should everyone be outraged? This is such a non-story. Players paid more if they achieve a particular placing. Do we think it means no bonuses are given if they win the league? It's a desperate page-filler about something that happens at every club in the land. But hey I suppose John Cross and the other chimpanzees have their story. Did anyone see his justification for the 'story' about Walcott not being in the 2013 calendar? Basically it doesn't matter if it means absolutely nothing as long as people read it. There's your story.

Injury Time
30-11-2012, 09:18 PM
:gp:

People are actually ready to accept this? Just like our shit inflexible over 13s policy?

Unless this is implemnted league-wide prepare yourselves for proper midtable obscurity, if there is any substance to it. Because any remaining decent player will be off; and we will attract even more mediocre players :good:
EFA