PDA

View Full Version : 4th Place Trophy

Letters
07-12-2012, 03:22 PM
I started a poll on 4th November asking if we'd win the 4th place trophy. It was 9 Yes, 6 No.

Things haven't gone so great since then, I thought I'd see how people's thoughts have changed since then.

I'm still going to go for yes. We're only 5 points off 3rd, no-one bar the top 2 is looking that good, I do think we've got a decent squad and I'm still hoping (maybe foolishly) that our malaise will spur us into action in the transfer market in January.

Özil's Panoramic View
07-12-2012, 03:27 PM
At present no. But if Venger does at least some half decent business in January, it might become achieveable.

Syn
07-12-2012, 03:27 PM
I think we'll go motherfucking alpha again at the closing stages to sneak up there. But with no Van Persie, who's carrying us this year?

Nevertheless we'll find a way. Where there is money to be made, we always find a way.

LDG
07-12-2012, 03:28 PM
Meh.

Marc Overmars
07-12-2012, 03:33 PM
On current evidence we have no chance but of course the season doesn't end after 15 games. We usually manage to put together a run of 6-7 wins out of say, 10 games, that's the sort of form we need to hit ASAP to haul ourselves back into contention.

Cripps_orig
07-12-2012, 03:34 PM
If we do, meh. If we don't, meh. I went for no. Meh. There's only so many times we can be shit but sneak top 4. We'll be caught out sooner or later and this season is it

Shaqiri Is Boss
07-12-2012, 03:40 PM
The last time I predicted you'd fall away you went on to have one of your best seasons in a few years, so yyes I thinky ou will finish at leats 4th.

I think I had a stroke whilst typing that last part.

Kano
07-12-2012, 03:41 PM
absolutely no way

LDG
07-12-2012, 03:43 PM
I don't give a fuck.

I just want someone to believe in again. A team that makes mw want to cheer them on, rather than make me cynical.

It's all fucked anyway. Who gives a shit.

She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
07-12-2012, 03:44 PM
yay

Özil's Panoramic View
07-12-2012, 03:46 PM
Also, our saving grace has always been the fact that our 4th place contenders are all shitte.

This season is no exception, only that for the 1st time we genuinely look to be beating them at their most common trait. Never have I seen us being so shitty.

Letters
07-12-2012, 03:47 PM
absolutely no way
We're 5 points off 3rd place with less than a third of the season gone and there's absolutely no way we can finish in the top 4.

Really?

Letters
07-12-2012, 03:47 PM
I don't give a fuck.

I just want someone to believe in again. A team that makes mw want to cheer them on, rather than make me cynical.

It's all fucked anyway. Who gives a shit.
:gp:

:(

Joker
07-12-2012, 03:53 PM
I'm struggling to get too excited about finishing 4th, the lack of ambition at the club has sapped most of my enthusiasm. However, I think we'll probably end up blundering our way into 4th place as we always do.

Marc Overmars
07-12-2012, 04:02 PM
Whatever happens it's not going to be comfortable that's for sure because there's no real 'go-to' guys anymore in this team.

Syn
07-12-2012, 04:06 PM
We're 5 points off 3rd place with less than a third of the season gone and there's absolutely no way we can finish in the top 4.

Really?

I don't think there's much point looking at the gap at this stage. Stoke are 4 points off 3rd place, and we would think there is absolutely no way we can finish in the top 4.

It's all about the perceived level of quality in the team. Our competition will probably be: Everton, Newcastle, Swansea, Tottenham, Liverpool. While it is clear that the likes of Cazorla, Wilshere, Arteta, Podolski, Sagna, Vermaelen etc. won't be good enough to compete against the top 3 teams, I think we're playing well below the potential of the players. But at the moment the issue isn't about quality (we could do with more, but, obviously this team is better than 10th place in the league). I think Wenger is having a very hard time motivating players and getting them to do what he wants because they've lost faith in him.

Slightly off-topic:

For all we mock Wenger's interviews, he's right when he keeps saying there is a 'lack of confidence'. Confidence is absolutely crucial to a team that wants to play good football. Confidence isn't about taking players on and having a crack from 20 yards. It's about playing passes first time and passing it to your teammate in impossible situations because you know he'll get you out of this mess. Right now, players take 20 touches because if they pass it first time, they're worried: 1) they'll misplace the pass themselves. 2) their teammates won't be able to trap it.

When Wenger tells Cazorla or Wilshere or whoever that this is a good team and you will be able to pass it forward quickly, they don't believe him. Each one of them thinks they're playing with fairly average players. And you can see that lack of trust every time you watch us play now.

LDG
07-12-2012, 04:11 PM
:gp:

Fist of Lehmann
07-12-2012, 04:31 PM
While the manager emphasizes self-determination, spontaneity and freedom of expression in our play philosophy we will always be susceptible to these runs of bad form due to loss of confidence.

We're streaky. We have a creative temperament.

A system that had more structure, in which players always knew their jobs would be much less vulnerable to a loss of confidence, because you don't question your decisions or the abilities of you teammates. You just mechanically execute what you're told.

IMO.

Anway, 4th. Yeah whatever. Don't care.

IBK
07-12-2012, 04:35 PM
Re OP. That's just it. We have been brainwashed into even debating this. And our club is realising that actually we are football fans.

IBK
07-12-2012, 04:36 PM
I don't think there's much point looking at the gap at this stage. Stoke are 4 points off 3rd place, and we would think there is absolutely no way we can finish in the top 4.

It's all about the perceived level of quality in the team. Our competition will probably be: Everton, Newcastle, Swansea, Tottenham, Liverpool. While it is clear that the likes of Cazorla, Wilshere, Arteta, Podolski, Sagna, Vermaelen etc. won't be good enough to compete against the top 3 teams, I think we're playing well below the potential of the players. But at the moment the issue isn't about quality (we could do with more, but, obviously this team is better than 10th place in the league). I think Wenger is having a very hard time motivating players and getting them to do what he wants because they've lost faith in him.

Slightly off-topic:

For all we mock Wenger's interviews, he's right when he keeps saying there is a 'lack of confidence'. Confidence is absolutely crucial to a team that wants to play good football. Confidence isn't about taking players on and having a crack from 20 yards. It's about playing passes first time and passing it to your teammate in impossible situations because you know he'll get you out of this mess. Right now, players take 20 touches because if they pass it first time, they're worried: 1) they'll misplace the pass themselves. 2) their teammates won't be able to trap it.

When Wenger tells Cazorla or Wilshere or whoever that this is a good team and you will be able to pass it forward quickly, they don't believe him. Each one of them thinks they're playing with fairly average players. And you can see that lack of trust every time you watch us play now.

I said AW had lost the dressing room. This is how.

Letters
07-12-2012, 04:40 PM

Slightly off-topic:

I only mentioned the points thing because despite our recent malaise we're really not that far away from 3rd. And we do have slightly more pedigree in terms of finishing top 4 than Stoke.
Otherwise though, yeah. What you said :(

McNamara That Ghost...
07-12-2012, 04:45 PM
I'm sure we'll do enough in January to give us enough impetus, for that coveted slot. And then cycle can continue. :bow:

LDG
07-12-2012, 04:48 PM
I'm sure we'll do enough in January to give us enough impetus, for that coveted slot. And then cycle can continue. :bow:

Menstrual FC :bow:

Özil's Panoramic View
07-12-2012, 04:59 PM

:haha:

McNamara That Ghost...
07-12-2012, 05:10 PM

We bleed Arsenal. :unsure:

Olivier's xmas twist
07-12-2012, 05:50 PM

Really?

Well we have a chance as the league is shite this season and lets be honest, Spurs, Everton, Pool will bottle points in the 2nd half of the season, its whether we take out chances.

Win the CoC and 5th id take that. I agree with LDG its hard to really care when the ****s and the manager show no passion for the club or the fans.

Kano
07-12-2012, 06:58 PM

Really?
yep really. i am never usually so despondent about our team. even after our 8-2 last season i was backing us for 4th place. but this lot? not with wenger in charge. tottenham and everton are better teams than us and we'll do 5th at best.

Gervinho's Forehead
07-12-2012, 07:34 PM
We're not gonna finish 4th this year we're too shit. Compare us to last year (and previous years) the team is alot worse and we don't have a 30 games a season goal scorer to bail us out.

Nope it's mid-table mediocrity for us, we may get the last place for the Europa League.