PDA

View Full Version : Vermaelen is a terrible defender

Grebbo
12-12-2012, 07:27 AM
I knew he hadn't been great this season but last night was the first time I've really paid much attention to him and....well....he's fucking shite!!

He CONSTANTLY gets too close to his man and gets turned and then sticks out a leg or pulls a shirt and commits a foul. Time after time after time - and this is againts League Two opposition!!

I don't know what the answer is as Kos has been terrible this season as well. But one thing for certain is Vermaelen is no-where near good enough for a top team (yeah, yeah I know).

BOBN
12-12-2012, 08:07 AM
Absolutely and believe me hes never been good, dont listen to these "its just bad form" types.

In his first season here we conceded a record number of goals. People tried to put it all on the midfield but this guy is thick as fack.

Ajax eventually shunted him to left back just to get him out the way he was so poor. If you remember back the ajax fans were delighted with the deal.

hes always got bitched by decent forwards but what he did against no paced championship player taraabt when he got too tight and lunged in when there was no threat of him doing shyt thus giving him the pathway to turn and finish would have been the last straw for a ruthless manager, ours went and gave him the captaincy.

He is the most overrated defender in britain today. Welcome to reality.

Marc Overmars
12-12-2012, 08:26 AM
Our David Luiz.

Time to drop him, take away the captaincy and bring in Kos.

Grebbo
12-12-2012, 08:27 AM
But Kos has been terrble in every game he's played for us this season.

It's like beating cancer but getting aids.

Kano
12-12-2012, 08:56 AM
and he's our captain!

The Governor
12-12-2012, 09:14 AM
He's always been an average defender, his goals through the seasons have masked that. Koscielny and Mertesacker is our best CB pairing but it will probably never happen because this guy is our captain.

LDG
12-12-2012, 09:41 AM
He could be a very good defender, if he was actually given some advice.

It's all about anticipation in Vermaelens case. Where Koscielny is far superior, is his timing and reading of the game. He does the job we're set up as a team to do, which is bring the ball out of defence rather than lump it. Kocielny is able to anticipate better, and time challenges better.

But where all of them are absolutely dire, is when the ball comes over the top.

"I I let the ball bounce, I'll be just fine.....oh"

:doh:

Gervinho's Forehead
12-12-2012, 09:44 AM
He could be a very good defender, if he was actually given some advice.

It's all about anticipation in Vermaelens case. Where Koscielny is far superior, is his timing and reading of the game. He does the job we're set up as a team to do, which is bring the ball out of defence rather than lump it. Kocielny is able to anticipate better, and time challenges better.

But where all of them are absolutely dire, is when the ball comes over the top.

"I I let the ball bounce, I'll be just fine.....oh"

:doh:

bradford has one tactic which was to lump it up front to their "big man". vermaelen lost out every single time.

LDG
12-12-2012, 09:46 AM
bradford has one tactic which was to lump it up front to their "big man". vermaelen lost out every single time.

I know. He was and has been shit this year.

Syn
12-12-2012, 10:07 AM

There's a bit of scapegoating going on. Their big man kept winning headers against Mertesacker, and that speedy fuck (wells?) kept beating Vermaelen to the flick on and kept skinning him.

Overall both CBs struggled.

Gervinho's Forehead
12-12-2012, 10:08 AM
There's a bit of scapegoating going on. Their big man kept winning headers against Mertesacker, and that speedy fuck (wells?) kept beating Vermaelen to the flick on and kept skinning him.

Overall both CBs struggled.

Oh I agree both CB's were very bad.

Globalgunner
12-12-2012, 10:18 AM
Vermaelen apparently was bought on the basis of 1 good game that he had against us where he was said to have shackled TH14. I guess this must have been on one of those Henry moody days because Henry on his day would have left this clown on his are a dozen times. Why does Wengit always buy the worst out of any pair of players. He went to Ajax and chose Vermaelen instead of Vertonghen, He went to Southhampton and took Walnutt instead of Bale, Her went to Mexico and brought Vela instead of Chicharito.

He buys some talent yes, but nowadays he seems to only make them worse.

Grebbo
12-12-2012, 10:49 AM
It was RVC he shackled not Sir Henry.

Olivier's xmas twist
12-12-2012, 11:56 AM
and he's our captain!

This and this is what pissed me off about Wenger picks dumb captains. When he gave the Armband to Cesc i knew it come back to bite him on the butt. This TV5 is a liability to think How Kos and Merts were last season, now both are better and should be starters. Take the armband of him and give it to Mikel, he is the captain they all listen to anyway.

Niall_Quinn
12-12-2012, 12:14 PM
All three of our CBs have a couple of mistakes a game in them. Merts has had a free ride with many of the fans so far this season but he's made some howlers too that have cost goals. Our guys seem to play on their wits rather than to a plan based on the opponent. Watching Kos tear around the place flinging himself at every ball might be fun and might give the impression he's a fighter (and I think he is) but surely there's a more disciplined way to defend than that? I don't think these guys are bad players, but I don't think they are the smartest either. They need organisation. After half a decade of steady decline in the defence it's time for Wenger to at least step out of that side of the game and leave it to somebody who has a clue. It must be Wenger because I can't believe Bould could suddenly be hopeless.

Globalgunner
12-12-2012, 05:13 PM
That only makes it worse. RVC pre 2011 could be easily shackled by Titus bramble.

Maorigooner
12-12-2012, 05:43 PM
Personally I thought Kos was just getting back to his best before his injury. As for the Skipper, I think in his attempt to play himself back in to some sort of 'Form' he's trying too hard and it makes him look impulsive and a bit Shit. In his first year here, he was by far the best player in the air (despite his lack of height blah blah) and although his marking could be a bit lapsed at times he was rock solid in the tackle which made up for that, he has pace in spades and an eye for goal....

My point is you don't just lose those skills, so it has to be a confidence issue surely?

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
12-12-2012, 06:45 PM
let's not kid ourselves, vermaelen has had but a handful of decent games since he came back from his year long injury......he has the concentration span of a kid with ADHD who has been allowed to drink a bottle of ribena.

Olivier's xmas twist
12-12-2012, 06:48 PM
Since RVP left, he has looked like a boy who's best friend has moved to the other side of the world, and he wants to join him. IMO he clearly don't want to be here, or is motivated to be here.

Or maybe he is scared he will be sold next so he is playing shite to stop this happening.

selassie
12-12-2012, 07:23 PM
Since RVP left, he has looked like a boy who's best friend has moved to the other side of the world, and he wants to join him. IMO he clearly don't want to be here, or is motivated to be here.

Or maybe he is scared he will be sold next so he is playing shite to stop this happening.

We're his level, Verms would get nowhere the first XI of any of the top 3 and would struggle to get in Spurs & Liverpool's team IMHO.

hobson's choice
13-12-2012, 02:13 AM
Verms has never bee a good defender for us, what he's has always been good at is making those hollywood tackles, which has completely obscure the fact that, he had to make those tackles because he was out of position.

I know people don't like Gallas, but after Gallas got injured during Verms first season, he got exposed, and all the sudden the team started to leak goals crazy.

Kano
13-12-2012, 08:14 AM
gallas or not, we've always conceded goals. look at our invincible teams record.

verm isn't the worst defender but then again isn't even our second best.

Joker
13-12-2012, 09:15 AM

No I think it was Henry in the 0-0 draw at Highbury in 2005.

BOBN
13-12-2012, 12:24 PM

take your tongue out of his bum and face facts.

She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
13-12-2012, 12:52 PM
no he isnt.

hes a top defender.

a top defender managed by a clueless idiot.

clichy shite here, goes city and becomes consistent.

i thought toure was quality against united. towards the end of his spell he was abysmal here.

there is definetly something in these rift rumours regarding bould and wenger. all over the press today. no smoke without fire and that.

at the beginning of the season we looked brilliant defensively. midfield tracked back and helped out, defence worked as a unit. ever since wenger was asked about bould post liverpool match and he replied with something along the lines of: 'actually it is the work of everyone. you cannot praise just one individual. we have all been working together' its gone completely downhill.

as mentioned on a blog i read this morning, what does a control freak do when he's under pressure? he tightens his grip.

he's blind to the obvious.

he used to tell henry to cut inside and look for the top corner of the goal. henry did it. he tells the same to gervinho and it goes into row z. he used to tell pires to switch flanks and take the defender on. he did it. he tells arshavin the same and he loses the ball. he used to play edu on the right of midfield to squeeze the opposition and we used to win games. he does the same with ramsey and we end up losing.

wenger doesnt understand whats going wrong and he doesnt understand why players dont respond to him anymore. he's blind to the obvious. he doesnt want to give up because he believes he can turn it around.

well you cant. so please piss off.

Olivier's xmas twist
13-12-2012, 12:54 PM
take your tongue out of his bum and face facts.

He was good when he 1st joined.

She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
13-12-2012, 12:55 PM
you could put maldini in that defence and he'd be fucking shite.

simple as that.

Globalgunner
13-12-2012, 12:58 PM
:gp::gp::gp:
no he isnt.

hes a top defender.

i thought toure was quality against united. towards the end of his spell he was abysmal here.

there is definetly something in these rift rumours regarding bould and wenger. all over the press today. no smoke without fire and that.

at the beginning of the season we looked brilliant defensively. midfield tracked back and helped out, defence worked as a unit. ever since wenger was asked about bould post liverpool match and he replied with something along the lines of: 'actually it is the work of everyone. you cannot praise just one individual. we have all been working together' its gone completely downhill.

as mentioned on a blog i read this morning, what does a control freak do when he's under pressure? he tightens his grip.

he used to tell henry to cut inside and look for the top corner of the goal. henry did it. he tells the same to gervinho and it goes into row z. he used to tell pires to switch flanks and take the defender on. he did it. he tells arshavin the same and he loses the ball. he used to play edu on the right of midfield to squeeze the opposition and we used to win games. he does the same with ramsey and we end up losing.

wenger doesnt understand whats going wrong and he doesnt understand why players dont respond to him anymore. he's blind to the obvious. he doesnt want to give up because he believes he can turn it around.

http://www.goonersweb.co.uk/forum/images/smilies/goodpost.gif 100% bloody accurate

Grebbo
13-12-2012, 02:11 PM
no he isnt.

hes a top defender.

That's crazy talk. Wenger isn't responsible for Verm constantly getting too close to the attacker and diving in. That's Verms fault.

You can blame Wenger for buying and playing him but no-one can coach Verm to stop getting too close and diving in at his age. It's too late, it's his natural reaction.

Clichy is just as shit for City as he was for us. He just gets exposed less because he's playing in a far better team.

She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
13-12-2012, 02:20 PM
eh?

coaching and managing players isnt the managers responsibility? :lol:

so what do we pay him £7m a year for, to sit in a dugout for 2 hours every saturday? :lol:

and what do you mean 'at his age'? he isnt a boxer he's a footballer. its never too late to learn. footballers can adapt to different styles and tactics week on week. if you coach vermaelen how to approach the opposition correctly and maximise the opportunity of winning the ball then he'll improve. you dont just give up on players if they make mistakes do you? you try and help them improve. try to correct their flaws. they learn new things everyday in training. its a continual learning process.

the problem at our club is that the learning process is nowhere to be seen because wenger focuses on attack. we saw an improvement in vermaelen and other defenders at the beginning of the season when the players admitted bould had a huge influence in training. now its gone back to shit. because wengers gone awol.

Grebbo
13-12-2012, 02:27 PM
eh?

so what do we pay him £7m a year for, to sit in a dugout for 2 hours every saturday? :lol:

and what do you mean 'at his age'? he isnt a boxer he's a footballer. its never too late to learn. footballers can adapt to different styles and tactics week on week. if you coach vermaelen how to approach the opposition correctly and maximise the opportunity of winning the ball then he'll improve. you dont just give up on players if they make mistakes do you? you try and help them improve. try to correct their flaws. they learn new things everyday in training. its a continual learning process.

the problem at our club is that the learning process is nowhere to be seen because wenger focuses on attack. we saw an improvement in vermaelen and other defenders at the beginning of the season when the players admitted bould had a huge influence in training. now its gone back to shit. because wengers gone awol.

We'll have to agree to disagree. I don't think you can coach a 27yr old defender to suddenly start defending in a completely different way than what he's been doing for the best part of 10 years. And age is an issue. At 12 a player can be influenced a lot more than at 27.

Sure I guess there are exceptions to the rule. But it tends to be the really top players that can adapt and make big improvements - that's what makes them top players.

I don't have a problem with the coaching of Verm. I have a problem with Wenger thinking he's good enough.

If you think players can be so heavily influenced by coaching I guess you think that there's a coach out there that can turn Gervinho into Drogba????

Olivier's xmas twist
13-12-2012, 02:37 PM
eh?

Tbf Clichy is still woeful at city. its just easy to look good when you have better team mates. Here he enver had that so it was easier to see he was poor. There was so much hype for him from fans, cause we thought we got one over cashley when we did not.

She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
13-12-2012, 02:44 PM
We'll have to agree to disagree. I don't think you can coach a 27yr old defender to suddenly start defending in a completely different way than what he's been doing for the best part of 10 years. And age is an issue. At 12 a player can be influenced a lot more than at 27.

Sure I guess there are exceptions to the rule. But it tends to be the really top players that can adapt and make big improvements - that's what makes them top players.

I don't have a problem with the coaching of Verm. I have a problem with Wenger thinking he's good enough.

If you think players can be so heavily influenced by coaching I guess you think that there's a coach out there that can turn Gervinho into Drogba????

but he doesnt need big improvements. thats the point.

you cant coach titus bramble into being a top defender, i agree, because the skills base he started off with is considerably less than the attributable base TV has and always will be. but TV has the attributes to be an even better defender than what he is right now, he just isnt being coached into how to do that.

he isnt being told what his mistakes are, he isnt able to rectify them in training and he isnt being guided into right from wrong.

according to your theory he's hit the roof in terms of ability but surely that contradicts the whole point of coaching? e.g. to improve players and coach them away from their mistakes? we all admit he makes mistakes so surely if he is coached by a proper manager he'll be able to rectify them and instantly turn into a better defender?

and as for the last point, you're comparing a winger to a world class striker. gervinho has the potential to be a decent winger but once again, is being let free to do what he wants by the free market fundamentalist in charge. if he was coached better, taught the art of dribbling, how to take players on, how to shoot etc, he'd improve tremendously.

you cant have a go at your dog for shitting on your carpet when you fail to let him know the toilet is outside.

Cripps_orig
13-12-2012, 02:45 PM
He has been off form for sure but he's better than Kos, Djourou and Toto. We have no other option.

She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
13-12-2012, 02:47 PM
Tbf Clichy is still woeful at city. its just easy to look good when you have better team mates. Here he enver had that so it was easier to see he was poor. There was so much hype for him from fans, cause we thought we got one over cashley when we did not.

maybe but i dont see the constant bad passes, constant shit crosses, constant freezing up at vital moments that he had here. he's obviously been coached better at city although as you say, admittedly he's still not the best.

he's doing considerably well though seeing as he has nasri in front of him who does no tracking back whatsoever.

Kano
13-12-2012, 02:59 PM
i know one or two city fans who are no big fans of clichy. he is not crucial to their defence and struggles to get ahead of Kolarov at the best of times.

Grebbo
13-12-2012, 03:02 PM
but he doesnt need big improvements. thats the point.

you cant coach titus bramble into being a top defender, i agree, because the skills base he started off with is considerably less than the attributable base TV has and always will be. but TV has the attributes to be an even better defender than what he is right now, he just isnt being coached into how to do that.

he isnt being told what his mistakes are, he isnt able to rectify them in training and he isnt being guided into right from wrong.

according to your theory he's hit the roof in terms of ability but surely that contradicts the whole point of coaching? e.g. to improve players and coach them away from their mistakes? we all admit he makes mistakes so surely if he is coached by a proper manager he'll be able to rectify them and instantly turn into a better defender?

and as for the last point, you're comparing a winger to a world class striker. gervinho has the potential to be a decent winger but once again, is being let free to do what he wants by the free market fundamentalist in charge. if he was coached better, taught the art of dribbling, how to take players on, how to shoot etc, he'd improve tremendously.

you cant have a go at your dog for shitting on your carpet when you fail to let him know the toilet is outside.

I don't think the dog analogy is the greatest one to use tbh.

Do you think SAF coached Cronaldo into the second best player in the world or do you think Cronaldo did it himself?

I think top players have a certain level of football intelligence. They improve themselves, they are not coached. You cannot think it's as simple as telling Verm what his faults are and he'll improve?? I'm not having that! He knows what his faults are, the world and his wife know what his faults are, he simply cannot change his ways because he is not a good enough footballer.

Grebbo
13-12-2012, 03:03 PM
maybe but i dont see the constant bad passes, constant shit crosses, constant freezing up at vital moments that he had here. he's obviously been coached better at city although as you say, admittedly he's still not the best.

he's doing considerably well though seeing as he has nasri in front of him who does no tracking back whatsoever.

Did you see Clichy helping to set up Manures winner at the weekend?

Clichy is average for City and he was average for us.

She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
13-12-2012, 03:14 PM
I don't think the dog analogy is the greatest one to use tbh.

Do you think SAF coached Cronaldo into the second best player in the world or do you think Cronaldo did it himself?

I think top players have a certain level of football intelligence. They improve themselves, they are not coached. You cannot think it's as simple as telling Verm what his faults are and he'll improve?? I'm not having that! He knows what his faults are, the world and his wife know what his faults are, he simply cannot change his ways because he is not a good enough footballer.

neither was the gervinho to drogba one but you still used it !

and surely you're not denying that SAF helped turn ronaldo into the player he is? ronaldo even admits himself that fergie played a massive role in his development. if ronaldo had come to arsenal you know full well he wouldnt be half the player he is right now because of wengers poor management skills. i mean if theo went united he would be twice the player he is because fergie would have taught him under the correct coaches and right management skills.

it needs a balance really, a player with potential needs good management and coaching to improve and rectify his mistakes. that makes him a better player. its common sense logic so im not sure why you're deciding to adamantly oppose it. at arsenal the coaching lets us down so players will always be susceptible to mistakes.

She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
13-12-2012, 03:16 PM
Did you see Clichy helping to set up Manures winner at the weekend?

Clichy is average for City and he was average for us.

clichy was shit for us and decent for city.

you dont play in a league winning team if you're shit.

Olivier's xmas twist
13-12-2012, 03:20 PM
clichy was shit for us and decent for city.

you dont play in a league winning team if you're shit.

Its easy to be shit, when you have top players with you. City did not win the league cause Clichy was good, they won it cause they had a good attack.

You won't notice how poor he is till games like saturday, when the team is struggling.

SayNoMore
13-12-2012, 03:22 PM
Its easy to be shit, when you have top players with you. City did not win the league cause Clichy was good, they won it cause they had a good attack.

You won't notice how poor he is till games like saturday, when the team is struggling.

Pretty much, still a shocking player.

Olivier's xmas twist
13-12-2012, 08:03 PM
Pretty much, still a shocking player.

Yep, yep yep. Looks ok, when playing the Wigans etc. Even then you see mistakes but not as much as when he plays the big boys.

fakeyank
13-12-2012, 08:29 PM
Yep, yep yep. Looks ok, when playing our direct rivals like Wigan, Reading. Even then you see mistakes but not as much as when he plays the big boys.

Just corrected your little mistake

Mr. Lahey
13-12-2012, 11:03 PM
he has been awful this season, in fact he was never really that good to begin with. another hyped up arsenal player who is only so because he can run up and down the pitch really fast. ok maybe im being harsh but he is an average defender who should not be starting for us thats for sure.

BOBN
14-12-2012, 10:36 AM
no he isnt.

hes a top defender.

A £10m defender shouldnt need telling what to do. we paid finished article money for a man-child fraud.

She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
14-12-2012, 10:38 AM
thats a lie and you know it. we didnt pay £10m for a 'finished article'. nowhere near a finished article.

BOBN
14-12-2012, 10:44 AM
£10m odd is the top rate in this day and age for a defender, they aint going for £30m anymore.

how much do you suggest we'd need to pay for a finished article CB (from abroad)? Kompany cost, 6, Vidic 6. weve been had.

DJ Philosophe
14-12-2012, 01:57 PM
His lack of positional discipline for a 27 year old scares me, I've seen 16 year olds here in the US with better tactical awareness. He's too much of the eager beaver always trying to nick in and win the ball so he can dribble forward. Patience is a crucial part of defending....there are two words he needs to learn and study. CONTAIN and JOCKEY. This goes for a few others at AFC who are notorious "stabbers" at the ball when defending....hey Arteta I'm talking to you pretty boy! It's so easy to attack against and makes League 2 sides look like EPL teams when a simple feint can unlock our supposed best central defender or our holding mid.

Surely Wenger and Bould have to see this in training and address it RIGHT.... :blink:

Aerially he seems to have better timing for headers when attacking than defending....maybe his depth perception is off when the ball is kicked for a punt.... :unsure:

She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
14-12-2012, 03:11 PM
£10m odd is the top rate in this day and age for a defender, they aint going for £30m anymore.

how much do you suggest we'd need to pay for a finished article CB (from abroad)? Kompany cost, 6, Vidic 6. weve been had.

im not on about price.

price does not dictate finished article.

ox was £10m. was he the finished article?

if you're seriously suggesting we bought vermaelen and he was the finished article at the age of 24 then dont bother replying.

there's no sense in the deluded.

GP
14-12-2012, 03:12 PM
no he isnt.

hes a top defender.

:gp:

She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
14-12-2012, 03:19 PM
His lack of positional discipline for a 27 year old scares me, I've seen 16 year olds here in the US with better tactical awareness. He's too much of the eager beaver always trying to nick in and win the ball so he can dribble forward. Patience is a crucial part of defending....there are two words he needs to learn and study. CONTAIN and JOCKEY. This goes for a few others at AFC who are notorious "stabbers" at the ball when defending....hey Arteta I'm talking to you pretty boy! It's so easy to attack against and makes League 2 sides look like EPL teams when a simple feint can unlock our supposed best central defender or our holding mid.

Surely Wenger and Bould have to see this in training and address it RIGHT.... :blink:

Aerially he seems to have better timing for headers when attacking than defending....maybe his depth perception is off when the ball is kicked for a punt.... :unsure:

apparently positioning and tactics cant be coached to players.

in that case managers are redundant in modern football and players should manage themselves.

She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
22-12-2012, 11:39 AM
@Arseholic
No defender has scored more goals in the Premier League since the start of 2009-10 than our very own Vermanator (13).

Grebbo
22-12-2012, 11:57 AM
Play him up front.