PDA

View Full Version : can you sack players?

Ollie the Optimist
12-12-2012, 02:53 PM
in any normal job, if a person isnt working hard enough, failing to meet targets and failing to do the basics of their job right, they would get warned etc but keep doing it, they can get sacked.

we all know a manager can be sacked for failing to get results and meeting targets and winning trophies, but what about players? the only cases i know of players being sacked are for when they are caught doing drugs (mutu) and criminal activities (barton i think was sacked for it)

but what about sacking a player, for simply not being good enough, not putting effort in etc. lets take chamakh last night, came on, did nothing, didnt put the effort in, and missed a penalty. with strikers, they are not going to score every chance, but someone like chamkh was signed two years ago, every game he plays now, he is lazy, does nothing, could a case be made for sacking him, could the club do this?

why is it you can sack a manager for results, yet underperforming players dont get sacked. im sure you could make up bullshit, like he was training hard enough as well to help you explain why you sack him or is sacking a player to difficult because you cant expect a striker to score every chance, if he doesnt get the right service etc?

and would you accept someone sacking our players for underperforming?

Gervinho's Forehead
12-12-2012, 02:54 PM
I would think you can, just would probably cost alot.

PGFC
12-12-2012, 03:05 PM
We'd have to field a starting 7 if you could.

Niall_Quinn
12-12-2012, 03:08 PM
You can't sack them in the traditional sense. They get all the benefits of a standard employee (thanks to those ****s in the EU and that Bosman bastard), but you have to pay the shit heads off if you want to get rid of them. Wouldn't be bad that, would it? If normal employees could behave like footballers no work would ever be done. Employees would sign 5 year contracts and then take a 5 year fag break. If the boss got pissed he'd have to hand over 5 years of wages to get a lazy bastard out the door. EU laws shouldn't apply to football until they apply fully and equitably. Chamakh and Arshavin should definitely be sacked, no doubt about it. There is no penalty whatsoever for these wasters just sitting it out and taking the cash week after week. Bendtner too, Squillaci. In any other walk of life if you fail in the manner these guys have failed you are out on your ear with a shitty reference.

Marc Overmars
12-12-2012, 03:10 PM
I'm sure contracts can be terminated at any point but it would cost an absolute fortune to do it for something that isn't in direct breach of it. The club could also be accused of unfair dismissal because "not trying hard enough" is not a valid reason that would hold up in a tribunal.

Özil's Panoramic View
12-12-2012, 03:11 PM
Massive, massive payouts would have to undertaken. We'd probably be bordering on bankruptcy should we endeavour that route at present.

A sobering thought though. Imagine an Arsenal without diabolical toxins like Gervinho, Chakma, Vela, Vermaelen, Santos, Denilson, Ramzi, Bendtner, Park, Djourou ....... [Fill in the blanks plz for those missed].

Niall_Quinn
12-12-2012, 03:15 PM
I'm sure contracts can be terminated at any point but it would cost an absolute fortune to do it for something that isn't in direct breach of it. The club could also be accused of unfair dismissal because "not trying hard enough" is not a valid reason that would hold up in a tribunal.

We could show video of Chamakh playing. Can't see how any reasonable court would not side with us. In fact it might lead to a criminal charge against the guy for taking money under false pretences.

Özil's Panoramic View
12-12-2012, 03:19 PM
We could show video of Chamakh playing. Can't see how any reasonable court would not side with us. In fact it might lead to a criminal charge against the guy for taking money under false pretences.

Solid case, tbh. Especially when one considers we also have Gervinho who we can show there.

Ollie the Optimist
12-12-2012, 03:31 PM

not trying hard enough is a valid though isnt it? if i turned up to work and just mopped about and didnt really do anything, then i would be sacked for not working hard enough. thats ok.

on the money side, we have to pay them anyway, so surely paying them early helps us clear space etc. but guess thats more mutual termination

Letters
12-12-2012, 03:33 PM
Years ago I heard Danny Baker opine that players should get paid after home games. In cash.

They’d all line up with wheelbarrows and one by one they’d have their shovel-loads of money given to them while the crowd are still there and can react accordingly.

I’d love to be there if that happened, especially when they get to Gervinho.

:popcorn:

Özim
12-12-2012, 03:37 PM
Think to get rid of them you have to pay the remaining years of their contract.

Niall_Quinn
12-12-2012, 03:39 PM
We could do a deal with McDonalds and pay Arshavin in burgers. Watching him slurp through a wheelbarrow full of them might be a bit harsh on the fans though. Or watching Chamakh go through a barrow full of hair products. Or Gervinho wallowing in a barrow full of manure. Could get messy fast. But it would be more entertaining than the football I suppose.

Niall_Quinn
12-12-2012, 03:39 PM

Or kill them and make it look like an accident. Surprised this hasn't happened now Abramovich is in the game.

Letters
12-12-2012, 03:41 PM
Or kill them and make it look like an accident. Surprised this hasn't happened now Abramovich is in the game.You don't really believe Muamba had a heart attack, do you?

Marc Overmars
12-12-2012, 03:42 PM
not trying hard enough is a valid though isnt it? if i turned up to work and just mopped about and didnt really do anything, then i would be sacked for not working hard enough. thats ok.

on the money side, we have to pay them anyway, so surely paying them early helps us clear space etc. but guess thats more mutual termination

It's not valid because a players performance is too subjective, you can't prove someone wasn't trying hard enough when there are other factors involved, like the quality of the opponent and the possibility the player might just be plain shit. Also, if they're turning up to training every day they're not doing anything to breach the terms of their contract.

You can't compare the real world to this fucked up sport.

Niall_Quinn
12-12-2012, 03:50 PM
It's not valid because a players performance is too subjective, you can't prove someone wasn't trying hard enough when there are other factors involved, like the quality of the opponent and the possibility the player might just be plain shit. Also, if they're turning up to training every day they're not doing anything to breach the terms of their contract.

Well you can compare it, and it doesn't look nice at all.

Marc Overmars
12-12-2012, 03:55 PM
Well you can compare it, and it doesn't look nice at all.

Pretty much.

Letters
12-12-2012, 03:57 PM
If I made as many serious mistakes as Gervinho does I'd have been long since sacked.
That chance last night, a tap in from 2 yards, and he couldn't finish it. Find were it a one off from an otherwise good player, these things happen to the best of us, but on the back of months of ineptitude... :doh:
It angers me that he gets paid so much to play football. And I'm paying some of it.
Me :pal:

Niall_Quinn
12-12-2012, 04:09 PM
I'm getting rid of Sky after Christmas and the stealing the matches off the Internet. Only way to get something back from this club.

Olivier's xmas twist
12-12-2012, 04:48 PM
in any normal job, if a person isnt working hard enough, failing to meet targets and failing to do the basics of their job right, they would get warned etc but keep doing it, they can get sacked.

we all know a manager can be sacked for failing to get results and meeting targets and winning trophies, but what about players? the only cases i know of players being sacked are for when they are caught doing drugs (mutu) and criminal activities (barton i think was sacked for it)

but what about sacking a player, for simply not being good enough, not putting effort in etc. lets take chamakh last night, came on, did nothing, didnt put the effort in, and missed a penalty. with strikers, they are not going to score every chance, but someone like chamkh was signed two years ago, every game he plays now, he is lazy, does nothing, could a case be made for sacking him, could the club do this?

why is it you can sack a manager for results, yet underperforming players dont get sacked. im sure you could make up bullshit, like he was training hard enough as well to help you explain why you sack him or is sacking a player to difficult because you cant expect a striker to score every chance, if he doesnt get the right service etc?

and would you accept someone sacking our players for underperforming?

No you can't and with the money making ****s at this club they will never do that, why they will not lose a penny. Id get rid of every player Except, Jack, Jenks, AOC, Santi, Theo, Sagna, Merts, Ches. Rest can feck off if i was in charge.

Olivier's xmas twist
12-12-2012, 04:55 PM

tbf you only pay the, if they have been doing feck all for the last few years.

KSE Comedy Club
12-12-2012, 05:49 PM
The only flip side to this is usually when players/teams are playing like dogshit and the manager is sacked, 9 times out of 10, those very same players start playing well under the new manager.

Olivier's xmas twist
12-12-2012, 05:58 PM
The only flip side to this is usually when players/teams are playing like dogshit and the manager is sacked, 9 times out of 10, those very same players start playing well under the new manager.

Very true, Players like Gev and Rambow would have to work 10 times harder otherwise the new manager will drop em or even sell em.

This is why i find it funny they don't even try now.

KSE Comedy Club
12-12-2012, 06:22 PM
Very true, Players like Gev and Rambow would have to work 10 times harder otherwise the new manager will drop em or even sell em.

This is why i find it funny they don't even try now.
They don't have to, that's the problem.

Wenger will play them until the cows come home whether they're shit or not.

Xhaka Can’t
12-12-2012, 07:40 PM
The Club would have to pay them off - and we fund the Club.

Well, when I say 'we' I mean 'you'.

I'm done - I even need to plan again for the las couple of presents I'm buying, because I refuse to buy any Arsenal merchandise whatsoever.

Power n Glory
12-12-2012, 07:57 PM

Besides that, it's down to the manager to make that call. After every single game, Wenger praises the effort and team spirit. If players could be sacked he wouldn't be the man to make such a call anyway.

Özil's Panoramic View
12-12-2012, 08:10 PM
They don't have to, that's the problem.

Wenger will play them until the cows come home whether they're shit or not.

Sad when even our cows are shit. How else would they have not come home already?

Kano
12-12-2012, 08:40 PM
:lol:

Özim
12-12-2012, 09:12 PM
The Club would have to pay them off - and we fund the Club.

Well, when I say 'we' I mean 'you'.

I'm done - I even need to plan again for the las couple of presents I'm buying, because I refuse to buy any Arsenal merchandise whatsoever.
To be honest it's a hard one as if you sign players you want to make sure they are tied down so that if they become top class you're not left with no choice but to sell them for peanuts, granted we've not managed that very well but that would be the thinking.

Problem is when we sign players that are clearly sh*t like Chamakh and Gervinho, stick them on big long term contracts.

Olivier's xmas twist
12-12-2012, 10:36 PM
Besides that, it's down to the manager to make that call. After every single game, Wenger praises the effort and team spirit. If players could be sacked he wouldn't be the man to make such a call anyway.

Well yes he is the manager is he not? after all you say he runs everything or am i missing something?

gooners
12-12-2012, 11:50 PM
can you sack your face?

Mr. Lahey
12-12-2012, 11:52 PM
^^ i think he is implying that Wenger doesnt have the cajones to sack a player. he see's no wrong with the players he has assembled.

Olivier's xmas twist
13-12-2012, 12:00 AM
^^ i think he is implying that Wenger doesnt have the cajones to sack a player. he see's no wrong with the players he has assembled.

Fair play.