PDA

View Full Version : Match reaction vs Southampton

Marc Overmars
01-01-2013, 07:25 PM
What an awful match devoid of any quality at all.

2 points down the drain against a team we really ought to be beating.

Newguy
01-01-2013, 07:26 PM
Back with a bang

The midfield isn't working. Not sure we can persist with arteta, hes so one dimensional.

Rosicky should have got some minutes. Poor subs from Wenger.

Sagna was shocking, absolutely shocking.

The team just don't work hard enough when things aren't easy.

Letters
01-01-2013, 07:26 PM
Gervinho :lol:
Awlful 'footballer'.

Only saw it from 50 minutes in. We were useless. Saw the goals, what kind of defending was that for Southampton's? What's happened to Sagna? He wasn't at the races today.

Gaah! Balls to it all.

hobson's choice
01-01-2013, 07:29 PM
Good point

Kano
the word 'turgid' springs to mind.

Marc Overmars
Sagan was awful. Kos and Verm were ok although Lambert had the beating of them. Gibbs wasn't too bad either.

Midfield offered nothing.

Theo, Podolski and Oxlade were passengers.

hobson's choice
01-01-2013, 07:30 PM
2 points down the drain against a team we really ought to be beating.

Maybe in previous years, but unless their opponents makes errors after errors, this bunch is gonna struggle to beat a League 2 team.

Seaman's Ponytail
01-01-2013, 07:31 PM
The team just don't work hard enough when things aren't easy.

Spot on :(

Master Splinter
A true WUMger special to bring on Gervinho and Ramsey when Rosicky would have provided some acceleration. Rosicky has played about five minutes this season, surely he can't be being rested.

The match was summed up towards the end when Giroud won the ball a couple of times, held it up, but not one of the midfielders or forwards bothered to move to provide him an option to pass to. A nothing performance.

Jenkinson, Rosicky and Giroud should be getting more game time. Or any at all in the case of the first two.

At least Gervinho lit it up with some sideshow brilliance :bow:.

Xhaka Can’t
Started off with a high tempo, Boruc was dropping everything that rolled near him meaning we should have scented blood and gone out comfortable winners.

Instead we fail to make a shot on target of any significant note, fall behind, score from an own goal and have a goal against us rule us out.

Then after watching all that crap we get rewarded with a double substitution that sees Gervinho and Ramsey enter play. At that stage a point was the absolute maximum we could have hoped for.

Very lucky to get a point.

gunnerrrrr
01-01-2013, 07:32 PM
absolutely comedic substation from Wenger...Carzola and Ox for Ramsey and Gervhinio....

hymppi
01-01-2013, 07:33 PM
Back to reality.
After the first half we had one (1!) shot at the target.
The middle field was suffering under the soton press. We needed players running for open space but we were too static.
Feo and Giroud didn't get service today.

And to make matters worse Sagna has seemingly decided to play pub football this year. He had an absolute shocker today.
Time to bench him and play Jenkinson. Or is he dead?

Gooner23
01-01-2013, 07:34 PM
Worst performance I've seen from Sagna in an Arsenal shirt. Arteta was very poor, but I don't think one player comes out with any credit today.

And seeing Gervinho and Ramsey coming on as our 'impact subs' is just so incredibly depressing.

How can you put in such a limp, lethargic performance knowing 3 points was a necessity. Wenger has to take responsibility for that.

hobson's choice
01-01-2013, 07:35 PM
At least Gervinho had a shot, and not a bad one at that too, lol

McNamara That Ghost...
Fuck.

Still, that's Gervinho's last game in the league for a while.

Letters
Instead we fail to make a shot on target of any significant note, fall behind, score from an own goal and have a goal against us rule us out.
Was a push tbf but they don't always get given.

Don't think we were very lucky to get a point but we certainly didn't deserve more.

Marc Overmars
A true WUMger special to bring on Gervinho and Ramsey when Rosicky would have provided some acceleration. Rosicky has played about five minutes this season, surely he can't be being rested.

The match was summed up towards the end when Giroud won the ball a couple of times, held it up, but not one of the midfielders or forwards bothered to move to provide him an option to pass to. A nothing performance.

Jenkinson, Rosicky and Giroud should be getting more game time. Or any at all in the case of the first two.

At least Gervinho lit it up with some sideshow brilliance :bow:.

I couldn't believe he opted for Ramzi over Rosicky.

Baffling.

Joker
01-01-2013, 07:36 PM
Pretty pathetic performance tbh, we only had 4 shots on goal with 1 on target. Arsenal teams only 5 years ago would never look so toothless which sums up our decline. The midfield were extremely poor, with little spark or creativity from any of the 3. Walcott was feeding off scraps for most of the match although he needed to do more.

On this form there's no way we're getting a top 4 spot. Tottenham and Everton look much better teams and unless we make some top quality signings in January, I can see us playing Europa League football next season.

Personally, I would like to see Rosicky start in midfield to add a bit more drive and energy. He's good at carrying the ball forward and trying to link up with the forward players (his goal against Spurs last season a classic example) and that's what we need, rather than the conservative passing of Arteta who's not contributing enough.

hobson's choice
01-01-2013, 07:38 PM
Lets be honest folks, how is this game different from the majority of games we've played this season?

hymppi
01-01-2013, 07:41 PM
Here's a little something we should practice, not fucking with the ball by passing it from CB to CB.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XmjIHtDyz7s
:lol:

Lord Nelson
01-01-2013, 07:43 PM
Pretty pathetic performance tbh, we only had 4 shots on goal with 1 on target. Arsenal teams only 5 years ago would never look so toothless which sums up our decline. The midfield were extremely poor, with little spark or creativity from any of the 3. Walcott was feeding off scraps for most of the match although he needed to do more.

On this form there's no way we're getting a top 4 spot. Tottenham and Everton look much better teams and unless we make some top quality signings in January, I can see us playing Europa League football next season.

Personally, I would like to see Rosicky start in midfield to add a bit more drive and energy. He's good at carrying the ball forward and trying to link up with the forward players (his goal against Spurs last season a classic example) and that's what we need, rather than the conservative passing of Arteta who's not contributing enough.
Spot on! I said the other day that we are never going to get fourth, Spurs and Everton are much better sides with a drive for success. Wenger and the board will go at the end of the season! We only beat Newcastle because they run out of energy! More cracks papered over in that game !

Marc Overmars
01-01-2013, 07:48 PM
What was with all the slipping over as well? Fucked up countless passages of play which could have been fruitful for us.

Joker
01-01-2013, 07:54 PM
Wenger in the interview said "Did we underestimate Southampton? I hope not". As a manager surely it's his job to make 100% sure that the players don't take any team lightly in the league? So often in the past two years we've had players say we've not taken some teams as seriously as we should, and this has damaged us. We must start learning to play at full pelt against all teams, not just the elite.

gunnerrrrr
01-01-2013, 08:01 PM
Wenger in the interview said "Did we underestimate Southampton? I hope not". As a manager surely it's his job to make 100% sure that the players don't take any team lightly in the league? So often in the past two years we've had players say we've not taken some teams as seriously as we should, and this has damaged us. We must start learning to play at full pelt against all teams, not just the elite.

mate these players are simply not good enough....its a harsh reality.

Someone should ask Wenger when he is going to fuck off and take the current board with him.....aka "sold RVP for footballing reasons"

topgun
01-01-2013, 08:03 PM

Its clear he did'nt have a clue why it was so bad,or how to fix it which is the bigger worry.:oldboy:

hobson's choice
01-01-2013, 08:10 PM
mate these players are simply not good enough....its a harsh reality.

This is it right here, players are not good enough, and we have a manager who simply can't find a system, that works for the players we have, that will bring out the best in them. And that actually makes them look like a team out there.

Joker
01-01-2013, 08:12 PM
Orbinho ‏@Orbinho
Prior to this season, in the previous 94 games Arsenal have never had fewer than two shots on target in a game. Happened twice this season

Master Splinter
01-01-2013, 08:16 PM
on the performance...
I cannot fault the desire of this team. They are a good group, they showed top, top spirit but maybe lacked the glue in the danger zones. I must say, we lacked oil too. It is my resolution to make sure we do not lack this quality again. Buying is not the only way to fix this. We will work. This group does not say no to work.

on Southampton...
They of course have a good team. You see Lambert and Ramirez gave us problems, but I feel we had the solutions for them. They surprised me technically, yes. Was their desire bigger than ours? I cannot measure desire yet. Believe me, you [the press] will be the first to know when I can.

on Gervinho....
He had a little ankle. Maybe he lacked little bit sharpness. For the whole season? No. What did I think of his comedy tumble? I did not see this. I will need to see a replay.

on possible January signings...
You see today we have Ramsey on the bench. We have Rosicky, Gervinho, Coquelin. It will surprise you that we have also Diaby, Santos, Frimpong and Eastmond who have not even played this season. Where do I fit all these players? The solution must not always be to say "Who can we buy?" The solution can also be to play our game and show we have the right ingredients. Is Zaha a new ingredient? I am not here [press room] to discuss cooking with you. We will show patience in the market. You will see the way we operate is a quality. We have no set targets yet.

on looking...
But we are looking, yes.

http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archive/-he-loves-the-club-and-the-club-loves-him-

Letters
01-01-2013, 08:24 PM
:haha:

Alpha
01-01-2013, 08:38 PM
One of the worst performances from Arsenal point of view . The substitution did not solve anything . We were lacking a proper defensive midfielder to break up games and organize a counter-attack .
Sagna was awful and clearly not in the game and should have been replaced in the first half . walcott , deluded by his last performance , revoted to his former " self " of comical decision .
Gervinho was just a big head without brains and Ramsey was a wasted space which should have been occupied by Rosiky or even Coquelin .
Giroud didn't have any service upfront and the whole team was clueless and couldn't exploit his aerial ability .
We were very lucky not to lose this game . But a blessing in disguise is a good lesson for Wenger as the transfer window open Today . But the question is : Has he learnt his lesson ?

Gervinho's Forehead
01-01-2013, 08:47 PM

little ankle :haha:

oh and geronimo :haha:

:ilt:

Özil's Panoramic View
01-01-2013, 08:53 PM
Top, top spirit :haha:

Wumger :bow:

LDG
01-01-2013, 08:55 PM
Complete and utter guff.

Injury Time
01-01-2013, 08:59 PM
http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archive/-he-loves-the-club-and-the-club-loves-him-
on the performance...
I cannot fault the desire of this team. They are a good group, they showed top, top spirit but maybe lacked the glue in the danger zones. I must say, we lacked oil too. It is my resolution to make sure we do not lack this quality again. Buying is not the only way to fix this. We will work. This group does not say no to work.

on Southampton...
They of course have a good team. You see Lambert and Ramirez gave us problems, but I feel we had the solutions for them. They surprised me technically, yes. Was their desire bigger than ours? I cannot measure desire yet. Believe me, you [the press] will be the first to know when I can.

on Gervinho....
He had a little ankle. Maybe he lacked little bit sharpness. For the whole season? No. What did I think of his comedy tumble? I did not see this. I will need to see a replay.

on possible January signings...
You see today we have Ramsey on the bench. We have Rosicky, Gervinho, Coquelin. It will surprise you that we have also Diaby, Santos, Frimpong and Eastmond who have not even played this season. Where do I fit all these players? The solution must not always be to say "Who can we buy?" The solution can also be to play our game and show we have the right ingredients. Is Zaha a new ingredient? I am not here [press room] to discuss cooking with you. We will show patience in the market. You will see the way we operate is a quality. We have no set targets yet.

on looking...
But we are looking, yes.
Bravo, tbh the official bollox is more bollox than this <_<

Gervinho's Forehead
01-01-2013, 09:00 PM
top spirit but maybe lacked the glue in the danger zones. I must say, we lacked oil too.

glue and oil WTF!? :haha:

LDG
01-01-2013, 09:03 PM
MS :lol:

Marc Overmars
01-01-2013, 09:10 PM
Wenget has ruled out re-signing Henry.

Alpha
01-01-2013, 09:19 PM
Wenget has ruled out re-signing Henry.
We need him in the back room and not in the pitch . Let's not spoil his legacy .

Syn
01-01-2013, 09:26 PM
Holy shit! Sagna! That was absolutely incredible. He's a brilliant RB but I have to say that is the single worst individual performance I've seen in an Arsenal shirt over 90 minutes. Almost everything he did turned to shit. He couldn't trap the ball at times in that second half. For the sheer number of fuck ups I genuinely haven't seen a worst performance. I honestly can't believe it because he is normally professional.

Injury Time
01-01-2013, 09:33 PM
Holy shit! Sagna! That was absolutely incredible. He's a brilliant RB but I have to say that is the single worst individual performance I've seen in an Arsenal shirt over 90 minutes. Almost everything he did turned to shit. He couldn't trap the ball at times in that second half. For the sheer number of fuck ups I genuinely haven't seen a worst performance. I honestly can't believe it because he is normally professional.

PSG scout watching....

Özim
01-01-2013, 11:53 PM
Koscielny's collapse in the penalty area was laughable, he really should be embarrassed to be going over like that after being lightly touched :lol:

selassie
02-01-2013, 12:00 AM
I geniunely wasn't that surprised we drew and anticipated we would struggle there. This Arsenal team Wenger is building is "just above average" IMHO, no stars, just a collection of semi-talented players, we are where we are because that's our level.

I'm not for one minute making any excuses up but Southampton are pretty decent at home, I didn't expect anything more than a point. Despite all that, we were pretty awful, didn't really threaten them and a few of our boys had absolute mares.

Onto the next, Swansea away, this should be fun!

Ralpheroo72
02-01-2013, 12:12 AM
Im not bothered that WUMger has no transfer targets, I wouldnt trust him with money now. Look at the shite he has been buying since 2005. See the season out, and then get rid.

hobson's choice
02-01-2013, 01:55 AM
See the season out, and then get rid.

That's not happening, Wenger aint leaving till he wants. And in all reality, I don't trust that clown and Ivan and his posse to hire a competent manager. This club is fucked.

Cripps_orig
02-01-2013, 03:16 AM
Well that was a little bit horrific

But its a point.

Stuff of champions tbh to play shite and not lose

Sagna was terrible as were all the others but he had the worst match ive seen him play.

Front 3, as good as they were against Newcastle were equally as bad today.

Globalgunner
02-01-2013, 05:09 AM
There is nothing to say that hasnt been said before but this match is pure Wengers Arsenal. We are the only team amongst the top 7 that can regularly be outfought by lower opposition. Our mindset is weak, and when we meet stiff opposition there is no one in the team that will step up and lead the way. This is a reflection on Wenger himself, when what he expects does not materialise he goes into a sulk instead of changing things. He doesnt like strong personalities because they will stand up to him within the club. However strong personalities are just what you need to win things. Again it isnt a matter of new players. Wenger will remake them in the same image or force them out. Even if he signs the incredible Hulk, he will be playing like Bruce Banner in no time.

To progress as a club we need to kick the clueless egotist out.

fakeyank
02-01-2013, 05:12 AM
There is nothing to say that hasnt been said before but this match is pure Wengers Arsenal. We are the only team amongst the top 7 that can regularly be outfought by lower opposition. Our mindset is weak, and when we meet stiff opposition there is no one in the team that will step up and lead the way. This is a reflection on Wenger himself, when what he expects does not materialise he goes into a sulk instead of changing things. He doesnt like strong personalities because they will stand up to him within the club. However strong personalities are just what you need to win things. Again it isnt a matter of new players. Wenger will remake them in the same image or force them out. Even if he signs the incredible Hulk, he will be playing like Bruce Banner in no time.

To progress as a club we need to kick the clueless egotist out.

:gp:

The day wenger fucks off will be best day in Arsenal's history!

Xhaka Can’t
02-01-2013, 07:35 AM
:gp:

The day wenger fucks off will be best day in Arsenal's history!
Little bit exaggeration.

Grebbo
02-01-2013, 09:25 AM
Pretty awful stuff. Sagna was dogshit. Watching Vermaelen constantly get out of position is scary - he's the most overrated player in the league.

Everyone was shit. Sir Jack kept trying I suppose but it was a dire game.

topgun
02-01-2013, 01:27 PM
Im not bothered that WUMger has no transfer targets, I wouldnt trust him with money now. Look at the shite he has been buying since 2005. See the season out, and then get rid.

This is a bone of contention for me as well,I don't trust him with the money either.It's time for a fresh approach with fresh idea's.:oldboy:

Ralpheroo72
05-01-2013, 05:19 PM
Southampton 1 Chavs 5 - No messing about, the top teams shit on Southampton, and Demba Ba does the business! Why didnt we go for him????

Gervinho's Forehead
05-01-2013, 05:21 PM
we get shown how it's done again. :lol:

As for not getting ba, we should be used to this by now.

fakeyank
05-01-2013, 07:29 PM
Southampton 1 Chavs 5 - No messing about, the top teams shit on Southampton, and Demba Ba does the business! Why didnt we go for him????

:lol:

We have a douche bag called Wenger as our manager. He even trumps bigger douche bags like Benitez. At least, we have the biggest D-bag manager trophy :trophy: