PDA

View Full Version : what the hell are we doing!?

Dicks and chicks
05-01-2013, 10:58 AM
This transfer window big quality can be bought for very very cheap, Sneijder for very little, Demba Ba 7million! Holtby a german international for free?! Llorente for free why are we not taking advantage of this? Even for a penny pinching club like Arsenal our lack of activity is insane, if we don't act now we never will

She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
05-01-2013, 11:06 AM
the ba's, llorente's and holtby's of the world were the type of players arsene signed back in the glory days when we used to win trophies.

now we rummage in the basement for the unknown's and average and a lack of trophies show for it.

LDG
05-01-2013, 11:53 AM
How do you know we didn't go for Holtby?

Stop beating yourself up about these things man. It's pointless. It's as pointless as an Arsene Wenger press conference, because all you'll be left with, are your own interpretations of spin and guff, used to fill 2 minutes on Sky Sports News. You won't get the answers you're looking for.

Özim
05-01-2013, 12:01 PM
The answer is AW has too much belief in this bag o' shite team he's assembled, it's average and will never achieve anything I said it years ago and still believe it today, you don't need anymore evidence to see that this guy is never going to change things.

He won't sign established quality, it goes against his principles and will kill whoever it is they are suppose to be competing with in our squad.

selassie
05-01-2013, 12:05 PM
This transfer window big quality can be bought for very very cheap, Sneijder for very little, Demba Ba 7million! Holtby a german international for free?! Llorente for free why are we not taking advantage of this? Even for a penny pinching club like Arsenal our lack of activity is insane, if we don't act now we never will

Wages is the problem. We need to shift the dross out first too. Any activitiy we do will be late on in the Window and If I'm honest I don't expect us to sign anybody of any note.

She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
05-01-2013, 12:08 PM
How do you know we didn't go for Holtby?

Stop beating yourself up about these things man. It's pointless. It's as pointless as an Arsene Wenger press conference, because all you'll be left with, are your own interpretations of spin and guff, used to fill 2 minutes on Sky Sports News. You won't get the answers you're looking for.

i never said we didnt go for him.

i said it was the type of signing we used to make.

if we went for him and he chose spurs then it just goes to show how far we have fallen.

if we didnt go for him it proves my point that we dont make these type of signings anymore.

LDG
05-01-2013, 12:08 PM
The answer is AW has too much belief in this bag o' shite team he's assembled, it's average and will never achieve anything I said it years ago and still believe it today, you don't need anymore evidence to see that this guy is never going to change things.

He won't sign established quality, it goes against his principles and will kill whoever it is they are suppose to be competing with in our squad.

It's average now, yes. But I wouldn't say the likes of Fabregas, RVP, Nasri etc etc were average.

Wenger/Arsenal Inc. Corp. just fucked it up by not adding further quality to the quality we already assembled.

We sold so much of our best talent, and didn't adequately replace it.

And have since rushed in by panic buying.

Consequently you have a team (as seen over the last 9 to 12 months that has changed drastically. So much so that we only have one or two players left in the team that played 3 years ago. You can't keep rebuilding.

The key is keeping a settled side, and adding to your best team, by getting rid of the shit, and replacing with better players. And that is where we have failed.

IMO.

LDG
05-01-2013, 12:10 PM
i never said we didnt go for him.

i said it was the type of signing we used to make.

if we went for him and he chose spurs then it just goes to show how far we have fallen.

if we didnt go for him it proves my point that we dont make these type of signings anymore.

Soz man. Wasn't replying to you...more to the OP :good:

Marc Overmars
05-01-2013, 12:12 PM
Do not forget we must respectfully observe the waiting period.

Özim
05-01-2013, 12:16 PM
It's average now, yes. But I wouldn't say the likes of Fabregas, RVP, Nasri etc etc were average.

Wenger/Arsenal Inc. Corp. just fucked it up by not adding further quality to the quality we already assembled.

We sold so much of our best talent, and didn't adequately replace it.

And have since rushed in by panic buying.

Consequently you have a team (as seen over the last 9 to 12 months that has changed drastically. So much so that we only have one or two players left in the team that played 3 years ago. You can't keep rebuilding.

The key is keeping a settled side, and adding to your best team, by getting rid of the shit, and replacing with better players. And that is where we have failed.

IMO.
No we had some players who were very good of course, but we got rid without replacing them properly as always. There has been a lot of panic buying I agree, but that's again due to lack of planning, when you know one of your best players in on his way you make sure you have several realistic targets to replace them with, we always seem to be caught short.

It's going to get harder and harder to attract quality players if we continue with our current policies, eventually noone will want to come as we'll they'll all think we're nothing more than a stepping stone club for players trying to establish themselves, for a player who is already playing at a high level going to a successful club or ambitious club is more logical.

Özim
05-01-2013, 12:19 PM
Wages is the problem. We need to shift the dross out first too. Any activitiy we do will be late on in the Window and If I'm honest I don't expect us to sign anybody of any note.
We have a lot of dross that we've been paying for years and as expected it's very hard to get rid of them, even when they go on loan we're most likely paying a large part if not all of their salary so loan deals aren't the answer...but what can you do when noone wants them?

I would suggest being a bit more selective with signings, maybe someone should point out to the manager when he says spending money isn't the answer that not spending certainly isn't either, these bargain basement buys have been nothing but a hindrance, the money we've waste on their wages could have got us a few quality players instead.

Imagine how much we would have saved if we'd not been paying the likes of Chamakh, Denilson, Bendtner, Squillaci, Djourou, Rosicky (he's always injured), Fabianski, Park, Diaby, Santos, Gervinho, Miyacho, Campbell.

BlindFaith_8
05-01-2013, 01:03 PM
I am baffled, can someone clear this money buisness up. That fcuk face Gazidis said there was £50 Mill in the transfer kitty for W@nker to spend, now I am reading we need to clear out 4 or 5 players to generate funds to sign a fucking 31 year old?? WTF is going on with our club finances and transfer policy?

Ollie the Optimist
05-01-2013, 01:45 PM

holtby isnt free, he is free in teh summer, we need signings now, so that wouldnt work, same for llorente.

sneijder wants 200k a week etc, so tahts already an expensive deal for two years
demba ba had a release clause of 7.5 million, his agents fees were rumoured in the press to be the same amount, so thats already 15 million, and his wage demands, makes this a deal worth around 20-25 million pounds

GP
05-01-2013, 01:48 PM
I am baffled, can someone clear this money buisness up. That fcuk face Gazidis said there was £50 Mill in the transfer kitty for W@nker to spend, now I am reading we need to clear out 4 or 5 players to generate funds to sign a fucking 31 year old?? WTF is going on with our club finances and transfer policy?

This post is stupid. You know why? Because it's not just a 'fucking 31 year old' it's David Villa. Demand and cost will be high.

Ollie the Optimist
05-01-2013, 01:52 PM
why is this bullshit about wether someone is 31 etc and why spend money on an old player when the same fans moan about not offering a longer deal to players over 30

She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
05-01-2013, 01:58 PM
why is this bullshit about wether someone is 31 etc and why spend money on an old player when the same fans moan about not offering a longer deal to players over 30

:gp:

Marc Overmars
05-01-2013, 02:11 PM

If you want to knit pick, sure, you'd rather have the David Villa of 2 years ago, pre-broken leg and one of the best in Europe.

You need to look at what's currently available to us though and ask which one of Podolski, Theo or Giroud are better than him? None of them are, for my money.

I don't care about how much he'll cost (within reason), I just want us to add proven quality to our team, players who should be able to make an instant impact.

Dicks and chicks
05-01-2013, 02:26 PM
Do not forget we must respectfully observe the waiting period.

this made me laugh a lot.

Dicks and chicks
05-01-2013, 02:27 PM
holtby isnt free, he is free in teh summer, we need signings now, so that wouldnt work, same for llorente.

sneijder wants 200k a week etc, so tahts already an expensive deal for two years
demba ba had a release clause of 7.5 million, his agents fees were rumoured in the press to be the same amount, so thats already 15 million, and his wage demands, makes this a deal worth around 20-25 million pounds
sneijder at 200k a week will come to about 10million in 2 years, thats less than we paid for gervinho in total.

Dicks and chicks
05-01-2013, 02:28 PM

but we are a penny pinching side and won't buy quality unless its cheap, we have turned down the chance to sign several quality players on the cheap

GP
05-01-2013, 02:29 PM
sneijder at 200k a week will come to about 10million in 2 years, thats less than we paid for gervinho in total.

200k a week is 10m a year.

Dicks and chicks
05-01-2013, 02:37 PM
200k a week is 10m a year.

soz miscalculated, eitherway thats equal to what Gervinho and Ramsey cost us and they suck quite a fair bit of cock

GP
05-01-2013, 02:40 PM
Well, I'm not disagreeing with you. If players of the calibre of Sneijder are available I'd like us to be in for them.

The only concern for me is why Inter are so keen to offload him.

Kano
05-01-2013, 02:41 PM
in the midst of your internet breakdown you've lost your grasp on maths.

800k a month/9.6million a year/19.2 for two years not including bonuses etc so lets say £20mill in wages alone. and a new player would sign 3 years minimum, so £30m for him.

not gonna happen is it?

BlindFaith_8
05-01-2013, 02:56 PM
This post is stupid. You know why? Because it's not just a 'fucking 31 year old' it's David Villa. Demand and cost will be high.
It's a panic buy again to appease the fans, no planning just a knee jerk reaction, besides I don't think he is the answer, has never played in the premier league, considered not good enough to start at Barcelona and has sufferred a potentially career threatning injury. Would it not have made more sense to have paid half of Villa's potenital fee with a proven premiership goal scorer in Demba Ba who is also younger. That's my point.

BlindFaith_8
05-01-2013, 02:59 PM
Well, I'm not disagreeing with you. If players of the calibre of Sneijder are available I'd like us to be in for them.

The only concern for me is why Inter are so keen to offload him.

Inter want to offload Wesley, because they now realise they were paying him silly money and therefore asked him to accept a wage cut more than half his current deal or find a new club on a Free transfer, they cut their losses. Simples.

Kano
05-01-2013, 03:00 PM
villa is good enough to play for spain and score 8 in 20 for barca (mostly sub) - there are a lot players, in fact most, who are not good enough to play for the best club side ever. villa would be a great success in the uk because he has a high work ethic and has not lost his goal touch. but wages and cost for someone that age rules us out.

Özim
05-01-2013, 03:01 PM
villa is good enough to play for spain and score 8 in 20 for barca (mostly sub) - there are a lot players, in fact most, who are not good enough to play for the best club side ever. villa would be a great success in the uk because he has a high work ethic and has not lost his goal touch. but wages and cost for someone that age rules us out.
As does the fact he's high profile, we'll never sign marquee players, Wenger doesn't believe in them.

Gervinho's Forehead
05-01-2013, 03:04 PM
As does the fact he's high profile, we'll never sign marquee players, Wenger doesn't believe in them.

Very true and if he did sign a marquee player he would nothing to hide behind when he fails as manager again.

GP
05-01-2013, 03:06 PM
Inter want to offload Wesley, because they now realise they were paying him silly money and therefore asked him to accept a wage cut more than half his current deal or find a new club on a Free transfer, they cut their losses. Simples.

So you're saying he's no longer considered worth his wages?

That's the concern I'm talking about.

Ollie the Optimist
05-01-2013, 03:07 PM
So you're saying he's no longer considered worth his wages?

That's the concern I'm talking about.

it says a lot about a player who is on 200k a week, and would rather look for a club to pay him that, then take a pay cut and play football

McNamara That Ghost...
05-01-2013, 03:09 PM
It's a panic buy again to appease the fans, no planning just a knee jerk reaction, besides I don't think he is the answer, has never played in the premier league, considered not good enough to start at Barcelona and has sufferred a potentially career threatning injury. Would it not have made more sense to have paid half of Villa's potenital fee with a proven premiership goal scorer in Demba Ba who is also younger. That's my point.

You contradict yourself mid-sentence there by saying he isn't good enough for them but then note he sustained a potentially career threatening injury. Either way, it's not correct - the issues with Messi is the problem, everything goes through him, every game and that means there isn't a striker role for David Villa.

GP
05-01-2013, 03:13 PM
Maccy, what are your thoughts on Villa?

Would you prefer him or Llorente?

McNamara That Ghost...
05-01-2013, 03:20 PM
Depends what for, if it's something immediate including this season then David Villa. However as great a finisher (and player) David Villa is, he drives me insane watching him the amount of times he is caught offside. It's probably a better thing for us that we'd have someone that will make runs off the last defenders though. Of course, he has a few more years on Llorente but I don't think that'd really make much difference until 2015 at the least.

It's a weird quirk of Wenget's that he has always favoured big strikers whilst the rest of the team have often been a lot shorter.

Marc Overmars
05-01-2013, 04:04 PM
With the amount of players we've given to them over the years, it's only fair those ****s throw us a bone.

Joker
05-01-2013, 04:10 PM
I don't think we'll be getting any high profile names like Villa or Llorente, it'll just make the fans hungry for more in the Summer. The board would rather lower expectations so that it's easier to satisfy the fans.

Dicks and chicks
05-01-2013, 09:23 PM
With the amount of players we've given to them over the years, it's only fair those ****s throw us a bone.

very very true

Özim
05-01-2013, 09:25 PM
Don't think they have anyone as bad as Silvestre though.

BlindFaith_8
05-01-2013, 10:29 PM
After all is said and done, we won't sign a marquee player whilist W@nker is still Le Boss which means no Villa, no Sneijder. We will sign some obsure unknown piece of shit from France. I don't expect any signings of significance.

Gervinho's Forehead
05-01-2013, 10:40 PM
After all is said and done, we won't sign a marquee player whilist W@nker is still Le Boss which means no Villa, no Sneijder. We will sign some obsure unknown piece of shit from France. I don't expect any signings of significance.

Not another giroud! :ilt:

Niall_Quinn
06-01-2013, 04:54 PM

You are getting confused by what is said before the transfer window and what is said during and after it. The £50mill, £70mill stuff is specifically per-window and post latest on the pitch humiliation. This keeps the fans in hope rather than open revolt. Then when the window comes along we can blame city for our rising cash balance. I heard we took the money that has been earned from wrecking the team over the last few seasons and placed it in government bonds. True? If so, it's as good as theft.

She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
07-01-2013, 12:20 AM
its supposed to be progression not regression.

year on year getting worse. cant stand it.

selassie
07-01-2013, 12:40 PM
We have a lot of dross that we've been paying for years and as expected it's very hard to get rid of them, even when they go on loan we're most likely paying a large part if not all of their salary so loan deals aren't the answer...but what can you do when noone wants them?

I would suggest being a bit more selective with signings, maybe someone should point out to the manager when he says spending money isn't the answer that not spending certainly isn't either, these bargain basement buys have been nothing but a hindrance, the money we've waste on their wages could have got us a few quality players instead.

Imagine how much we would have saved if we'd not been paying the likes of Chamakh, Denilson, Bendtner, Squillaci, Djourou, Rosicky (he's always injured), Fabianski, Park, Diaby, Santos, Gervinho, Miyacho, Campbell.

Yep totally agree, Arsene's record in the market has been very very flakely over the past what 3 or 4 years.

He actually "risk" buys way more than he should do given our current position etc.

I would take his "buying doesn't solve everything" comments with a pinch of salt...he completely ignores the point like you say that it's not so much we want him to spend like Chelsea or City, but to adequately replace our best players. His comment of "everybody wants a big name like Messi" is crazy, I don't know of any Arsenal fans that want "Messi's", I do know lots who would have liked players like "Dembele", "Ashley Young", "Baines", those 15-20million types...not sure why we can't purchase one of these type players from time to time.

LDG
07-01-2013, 12:44 PM
Yep totally agree, Arsene's record in the market has been very very flakely over the past what 3 or 4 years.

He actually "risk" buys way more than he should do given our current position etc.

I would take his "buying doesn't solve everything" comments with a pinch of salt...he completely ignores the point like you say that it's not so much we want him to spend like Chelsea or City, but to adequately replace our best players. His comment of "everybody wants a big name like Messi" is crazy, I don't know of any Arsenal fans that want "Messi's", I do know lots who would have liked players like "Dembele", "Ashley Young", "Baines", those 15-20million types...not sure why we can't purchase one of these type players from time to time.

Tbh, if you add up the amount of money he has wasted on players, wages etc, then we quite possibly could have bought world class. Not necessarily Messi, but certainly something resembling top quality.

For all the risk 10mil buys (Gervinho etc) he oculd have bought himself someone fucking good :o :faint:

Marc Overmars
07-01-2013, 12:53 PM
Buying middle range players isn't a risk to him though, he knows he'll be able to extract enough out of them to secure the bare minimum target, then he can proudly boast how economic we are.

He doesn't have it in him to buy a worldie or 2, there's real risk involved there and I doubt he fancies the challenge.