PDA

View Full Version : Kieran Gibbs

Dicks and chicks
06-01-2013, 03:10 PM
fuck me

GP
06-01-2013, 03:11 PM
I don't think he'll read it, to be honest. You're better off sending an email to his agent.

Dicks and chicks
06-01-2013, 03:13 PM
euphoria is over.

Dicks and chicks
06-01-2013, 03:28 PM
he can't defend though.

Özim
06-01-2013, 03:42 PM
Never has been able to defend to be honest, always thought he was a shocking defender.

He's a winger not a defender and it shows.

Dicks and chicks
06-01-2013, 03:44 PM
him and andre santos make me wonder when arsenal will have a left back again

mastermind84
07-01-2013, 01:32 PM
Never has been able to defend to be honest, always thought he was a shocking defender.

He's a winger not a defender and it shows.

even though he scored yesterday, he is normally an awful attacker.

Ollie the Optimist
07-01-2013, 01:40 PM
fuck me what a goal

:gp:

McNamara That Ghost...
07-01-2013, 01:46 PM
even though he scored yesterday, he is normally an awful attacker.

I would bet he has contributed to more goals than most, if not all fullbacks in the league. He isn't exactly Dani Alves in productivity up front but attacking wise there aren't many I would change him for.

SayNoMore
07-01-2013, 02:11 PM
Gibbs an awful attacker? lol he is the only fullback we have who can attack and links up well with Podolski.

Fist of Lehmann
07-01-2013, 02:16 PM
When the alternative is Andre Two Cod & Chips, give me Gibbs every time.

Özim
07-01-2013, 05:59 PM
A full backs primary function should be defending not attacking, being good offensively is secondary.

Sadly Gibbs is often caught out of position and fails miserably in his primary function, I'm not convinced we'll ever be solid defensively with him as a defender.

I kinda agree with Grebbo with regards the defence, we should scrap the lot and start again.

Ollie the Optimist
07-01-2013, 06:08 PM
A full backs primary function should be defending not attacking, being good offensively is secondary.

Sadly Gibbs is often caught out of position and fails miserably in his primary function, I'm not convinced we'll ever be solid defensively with him as a defender.

I kinda agree with Grebbo with regards the defence, we should scrap the lot and start again.

i wonder what he would be like if we played a proper winger, for instance a valencia type player, not podolski or ramsey. i wonder if at teh moment he feels he needs to do more because the players who are left wing arent wingers and need more help on the flanks

Özim
07-01-2013, 06:12 PM
I personally think his instinct is to attack, you can see that from the way he gets forward, he'd be a decent winger but I don't think he's got the discipline to play as full back.

McNamara That Ghost...
07-01-2013, 06:21 PM

Those days are gone. Attacking from a fullback position is the primary function for the best teams; that's probably a big part of why so many goals are conceded but without it, there's little outlet with so much of the game being about midfield domination.

SayNoMore
07-01-2013, 06:43 PM
Those days are gone. Attacking from a fullback position is the primary function for the best teams; that's probably a big part of why so many goals are conceded but without it, there's little outlet with so much of the game being about midfield domination.

:gp:

We rely on our fullbacks heavily and when Gibbs was out of the team earlier this season we suffered. Im not convinced Gibbs is the problem, Sagna would have done better by not turning up the last few games he has been appalling, just doesn't seem to be bothered anymore.

Özim
07-01-2013, 07:41 PM
Yeah but the PL is pretty lousy these days defensively, that's why they've suffered in the CL if they focussed more on defence they might do better, look at Man U who are top, if not for their brilliant forward line they'd be in trouble as the defence isn't up to scratch....a few years back they were rock solid at the back. City were solid at the back last season however and won the title.

A great team should be solid defensively as well as effective offensively, I don't subscribe to the view that full backs are there to attack, I think they should be able to defend and if good enough get forward and deliver good crosses. Our crossing is shocking btw.

Grebbo
07-01-2013, 07:50 PM
Shit at defending, ok going forward. We need better but that can be said for every position.

McNamara That Ghost...
07-01-2013, 07:58 PM
This is going to be a long winded sentence but you're contradicting yourself - you talk about Premier League defending being the reason English team have suffered in the Champions League and also say Citeh's defence last season can be put down a marker that defences can still be solid, however Citeh went out of the Champions League at the first attempt and indeed the Europa League last season too when they went out at the second earliest opporunity!

I don't see the point in mentioning the strengths of previous defences because I don't remember saying defending from full-backs is ignored, it's just not the 'primary' consideration. You can see that in just how much attacking Zabaleta/Richards/Clichy and Kolarov all did last season.

Also, I'm not talking about the Premier League alone, I'm talking about most teams across leagues. Most of the fullbacks playing now come in to the side on the strength of their attacking firstly, then work on their defending secondly.

Özim
07-01-2013, 08:06 PM
This is going to be a long winded sentence but you're contradicting yourself - you talk about Premier League defending being the reason English team have suffered in the Champions League and also say Citeh's defence last season can be put down a marker that defences can still be solid, however Citeh went out of the Champions League at the first attempt and indeed the Europa League last season too when they went out at the second earliest opporunity!

I don't see the point in mentioning the strengths of previous defences because I don't remember saying defending from full-backs is ignored, it's just not the 'primary' consideration. You can see that in just how much attacking Zabaleta/Richards/Clichy and Kolarov all did last season.

Also, I'm not talking about the Premier League alone, I'm talking about most teams across leagues. Most of the fullbacks playing now come in to the side on the strength of their attacking firstly, then work on their defending secondly.
City's performance in the CL is hard to explain to be honest, they just haven't played well compared to how they have performed in the PL, they seem to play in a much more restrained manner in the CL (though this season their defence did let them down and has in the PL as well).

When I said it should be the primary function I meant they should be able to defend first and foremost, if they can't defend then it's a problem IMO and leads to goals being conceded. If you have a full back who is good at attacking but can also defend then that's fine of course.

At the end of the day if you have full backs who can't defend you're relying on your CB's to pretty much keep all attacks out which is going to be hard when there's space on both sides for attacking players to exploit.

McNamara That Ghost...
07-01-2013, 08:22 PM
Well therein lies the answer, Citeh weren't brave in attacking and you have to be from the outset (changing to 3-4-3 midway through a game is just insanity).

No doubt there are very obvious flaws to going that way regards to full-backs, they're full-backs because they are weaker attackers than forwards but that's the modern game, it's why possession is so key for a lot of the game; though obviously that does not mean that you can't make the most of counter-attacking opportunities when they present themselves.

Dicks and chicks
07-01-2013, 08:31 PM
anyone else think Miquel deserves some playing time. He was good for us last season, is he injured? haven't seen him in ages.

Newguy
08-01-2013, 12:38 AM
The way we defend and the way our side is at up, We need our fullbacks to be exceptional going forward. Sagna has been shocking going forward for a few games i think (Chamberlain and Theo infront) and it's hindered us. If we could get from the Sagna what we get from Gibbs I'd be happy.

Yes he does still ball watch a bit, but i think he will improve and he did choose better times when to attack against Swansea, and made the difference (along with Podolski).

Fist of Lehmann
08-01-2013, 12:13 PM
anyone else think Miquel deserves some playing time. He was good for us last season, is he injured? haven't seen him in ages.

Not at fullback no.

mastermind84
08-01-2013, 02:18 PM
I would bet he has contributed to more goals than most, if not all fullbacks in the league. He isn't exactly Dani Alves in productivity up front but attacking wise there aren't many I would change him for.
we have terrible attacking fullbacks except Santos, who can do nothing but attack

Gibbs is a bad crosser of the ball and usually no composure in the final 3rd

Gibbs an awful attacker? lol he is the only fullback we have who can attack and links up well with Podolski.
when I say Gibbs is an awful attacker, I mean it in comparison to other good attacking fullbacks like Baines, the guy at Chelsea, guys who are good at creating chances.

Dicks and chicks
08-01-2013, 02:23 PM
Not at fullback no.

but he defends unlike Santos and Gibbs.

Fist of Lehmann
08-01-2013, 02:41 PM
but he defends unlike Santos and Gibbs.

He does his best but like Vermaelen, he'd always be a centreback playing out of position.

And with the attacking importance of the fullback in our set-up we would effectively be neutering ourselves on the left.

Do not forget we have also mini-Meade who little bit super quality play there.