PDA

View Full Version : If you were Pep Guardiola....

AKBapologist
16-01-2013, 12:07 AM
Where in England would you be looking to manage next season?
:coffee:

KSE Comedy Club
16-01-2013, 12:46 AM
Costa coffee.

Static
16-01-2013, 01:06 AM
Man City.

Cripps_orig
16-01-2013, 01:39 AM
The team that has most influence with the FA and the refs.

Average manager

Japan Shaking All Over
16-01-2013, 02:52 AM
Costa coffee.

:gp:

definitely more ambition than Cafe Nero but still not up there with Starbucks

Master Splinter
16-01-2013, 08:00 AM
As a great man once said, time for Pep to come home.

Injury Time
16-01-2013, 08:39 AM
Costa coffee.

Nah he will turn Starbucks around, tax free :good:

Japan Shaking All Over
16-01-2013, 09:32 AM
As a great man once said, time for Pep to come home.

Indeed. . .I've heard somewhere that all of North London's kebab shops (those not on the Scum's side) are being gutted and voluntarily refitted out as tapas bars

fakeyank
16-01-2013, 09:34 AM
Man Utd but since they have a great manager, I dont see the point of them changing to an average one.

Man City would be next.

fakeyank
16-01-2013, 09:35 AM
Indeed. . .I've heard somewhere that all of North London's kebab shops (those not on the Scum's side) are being gutted and voluntarily refitted out as tapas bars

Thats for Santi and Mikel :doh:

Marc Overmars
16-01-2013, 09:37 AM
I think we'd be a suitable option for him. Really.

If I was Pep I'd get my agent to contact Arsenal and basically say sack Wenget and I will take over, otherwise I'm off to City/United.

Power n Glory
16-01-2013, 09:56 AM
Yep, we can offer job security, a decent wage and a chance to build his own legacy. We're not a bad choice. He won't be under major pressure and will be given enough time to build. He won't find find that at Chelsea or City.

Niall_Quinn
16-01-2013, 12:07 PM
City can offer unlimited funds to build a squad, Arsenal can offer... nothing. Not until Kroenke has gone at least. I don't see why a big spending manager who has built his reputation on attracting the very best would go back to square one and start scratching around in the leftover bin when he can just pick up a magic wand at City (and be paid more I suspect).

Another problem with us getting a new manager will be revealing what's really going on behind the scenes at Arsenal. Wenger will be here until he decides to leave, there will be a lot more to this than just the football.

I'd be amazed if Guardiola goes to the chavs, too much bad blood there. I think Mourino is pegged for Utd. Liverpool is the only other option unless some other club can build a dream ticket by getting a billionaire in and installing the manager in one hit. Unlikely. It sounds like Liverpool may be resolved to giving Rodgers time.

So it's City. Mancini will have to get the top job at the Federal Reserve or some other place with a license to print unlimited money, then he will be partially satisfied.

Kano
16-01-2013, 12:13 PM
barry, milner, dzeko and rodwell....all the ingredients for some manc-tika-taka

BlindFaith_8
16-01-2013, 12:15 PM
I think Pep would be prepared out of the utmost respect he has for *******, to still manage the club with the nutty proffessor overshadowing him as the Director of Football. He won't go to Chelsea as he doesnt like the happy trigger Ruskie's inpatience, Citeh might be a shout as his ex colleagues at Barca are working in the top jobs and maybe were recruited knowing that would help bring Pep and lets face it, Mancini hasnt got a clue in European football and the owners I suspect are eyeing a UCL cup anytime soon. So between AFC and Citeh, it's 50 - 50.

Özil's Panoramic View
16-01-2013, 12:34 PM
Can't see us missing out on Pep, tbh. We're just so perfectly suited for him. He's actually very ambitious and will want to win real trophies. This means he will have to actually sign players of "exceptional quality"- something which our overly generous Board will endorse by giving him an open cheque book.

Gypos :haha:

Mancs :haha:

Chavs :haha:

Us :bow:

I_Killed_Kenny
16-01-2013, 12:39 PM
open chequebook maybe but with a spend limit of £3.50

Boss
16-01-2013, 12:46 PM
Guardiola is probably the most overrated manager in the world, especially on here.

I_Killed_Kenny
16-01-2013, 12:51 PM
Guardiola is probably the most overrated manager in the world, especially on here.

I do agree with you. He fits into our style but he hasnt really been tested yet in his managerial career for everyone to be clamouring for him to manage them. he inherited a fantastic team and then brought through fantastic players that he knew about as he was youth coach. wasnt really troubled too much when he coached barca. it really would be interesting to see how he does at a club where he has to be out of his comfort zone

Kano
16-01-2013, 12:52 PM
who raves about him on here?

Niall_Quinn
16-01-2013, 12:56 PM
who raves about him on here?

Exactly! Nobody raves about him, even though he's probably the best manager in the history of football and a sexy bastard too.

Japan Shaking All Over
16-01-2013, 01:03 PM
I am probably the most overrated poster in the world, especially on here.

This.

GP
16-01-2013, 01:20 PM
:lol:

Power n Glory
16-01-2013, 01:55 PM
I do agree with you. He fits into our style but he hasnt really been tested yet in his managerial career for everyone to be clamouring for him to manage them. he inherited a fantastic team and then brought through fantastic players that he knew about as he was youth coach. wasnt really troubled too much when he coached barca. it really would be interesting to see how he does at a club where he has to be out of his comfort zone

All the more reason why we should be considering him. I think he wants a new challenge and chance to prove himself. Build his own legacy.

He inherited a beast of a team but he also pushed them to win everything in that period and dominated football whilst he was there. Look at the team Mourinho has with Real and what he had at Chelsea. He wasn’t able to do it at that level and he’s struggling at Real Madrid now to push for the title. It’s not easy to keep champions hungry and that’s why he deserves some credit. I want him at Arsenal because he’d bring some discipline and pride back to our style of play. Besides the pretty football, he won’t accept lazy defending and subpar performances from players week in week out. It also helps that he’s from the Barca system and would be able to provide some input on how we need to go forward as club if we want to depend on our youth system.

I_Killed_Kenny
16-01-2013, 03:02 PM
All the more reason why we should be considering him. I think he wants a new challenge and chance to prove himself. Build his own legacy.

He inherited a beast of a team but he also pushed them to win everything in that period and dominated football whilst he was there. Look at the team Mourinho has with Real and what he had at Chelsea. He wasn’t able to do it at that level and he’s struggling at Real Madrid now to push for the title. It’s not easy to keep champions hungry and that’s why he deserves some credit. I want him at Arsenal because he’d bring some discipline and pride back to our style of play. Besides the pretty football, he won’t accept lazy defending and subpar performances from players week in week out. It also helps that he’s from the Barca system and would be able to provide some input on how we need to go forward as club if we want to depend on our youth system.

valid points mate. i am just not sure if i want us to be his 1st real test. trying to take a team devoid of any winning mentality and try and then turn us into winners. what if he was just about the barca players and system. can we afford to take a punt on him and then find out after 2 years he isnt actually a great manager after all. he just had super players that already knew how to play super football. we are definately a challenge for him, thats for sure.

my vote is still for Klopp but he wont take the step down. i would also have ancellotti over him too.

KSE Comedy Club
16-01-2013, 03:06 PM

Don't recall that happening on here tbh.

He's better than wenger though :coffee:

Niall_Quinn
16-01-2013, 03:15 PM

I've been considering starting an affair with a top, top super model but I can't choose which one to go for.

Kano
16-01-2013, 03:19 PM
valid points mate. i am just not sure if i want us to be his 1st real test. trying to take a team devoid of any winning mentality and try and then turn us into winners. what if he was just about the barca players and system. can we afford to take a punt on him and then find out after 2 years he isnt actually a great manager after all. he just had super players that already knew how to play super football. we are definately a challenge for him, thats for sure.

my vote is still for Klopp but he wont take the step down. i would also have ancellotti over him too.

apart from maybe mourinho, who is looking increasingly like some sort of bloated bag-eyed whale beached on the madrid bench every weekend, who will guarantee success? whoever comes after wenger will be a gamble. not only because it is a brave new world for us fans but they are more than likely virgins to the game in the UK and will also have to contend with all the off field bollocks PLUS wenger sitting above their head as a director.

Niall_Quinn
16-01-2013, 03:22 PM
apart from maybe mourinho, who is looking increasingly like some sort of bloated bag-eyed whale beached on the madrid bench every weekend, who will guarantee success? whoever comes after wenger will be a gamble. not only because it is a brave new world for us fans but they are more than likely virgins to the game in the UK and will also have to contend with all the off field bollocks PLUS wenger sitting above their head as a director.

Plus the fact Wenger will not allow the to coach the defence.

I_Killed_Kenny
16-01-2013, 03:31 PM
someone who has experienced coaching in diff environments. i wasnt asking for maureen. just someone with a bit more experience. someone who maybe has had to deal with some bad moments. someone who has been to a club where he is not already ingrained into their history. somewhere where he has to push through his ideas and see if they can be succesful or develop new ideas. whomever comes after wenger will be a gamble for sure but is there a need to take an extra risk at someone like pep who has had one of the easiest rides in coaching so far?

Power n Glory
16-01-2013, 03:45 PM
someone who has experienced coaching in diff environments. i wasnt asking for maureen. just someone with a bit more experience. someone who maybe has had to deal with some bad moments. someone who has been to a club where he is not already ingrained into their history. somewhere where he has to push through his ideas and see if they can be succesful or develop new ideas. whomever comes after wenger will be a gamble for sure but is there a need to take an extra risk at someone like pep who has had one of the easiest rides in coaching so far?

That's a bit harsh to say it was easy but I get the point you're making. But he'd be much better than Wenger.

Xhaka Can’t
16-01-2013, 03:57 PM
I've been considering starting an affair with a top, top super model but I can't choose which one to go for.

:haha:

PGFC
16-01-2013, 03:57 PM
I'd join Bayern Munich personally :coffee:

McNamara That Ghost...
16-01-2013, 04:03 PM

FC Hollywood is little bit goldfish bowl. Sure he'll be fine there though. Bump this thread in three years? :good:

Shaqiri Is Boss
16-01-2013, 04:04 PM
Till 2016.

Ferguson will probably be retiring about then...

Kano
16-01-2013, 04:04 PM
I love England me :lol:

City :lol:

Abramobitch :lol:

Arsenal :lol:

Premier League :lol:

AKBapologist
16-01-2013, 04:14 PM
I love England me :lol:

City :lol:

Abramobitch :lol:

Arsenal :lol:

Premier League :lol:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/21048679#TWEET529749

Marc Overmars
16-01-2013, 04:20 PM
Another decent manager we miss out on because Wenget outstays his welcome.

McNamara That Ghost...
16-01-2013, 04:22 PM
http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/4740888/Pep-Guardiola-snubs-Man-Utd-Chelsea-AC-and-Bayern-for-City.html

Rob Beasley. :haha:

Journalism is so easy.

Kano
16-01-2013, 04:28 PM
i think it's fair to say that we've all been done by the press over this one.

Shaqiri Is Boss
16-01-2013, 04:30 PM
http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/4740888/Pep-Guardiola-snubs-Man-Utd-Chelsea-AC-and-Bayern-for-City.html

Rob Beasley. :haha:

Journalism is so easy.
Given who he works for, it isn't exactly a pre-requisite for the job.

Özim
16-01-2013, 05:15 PM
Yeah he was never gonna come here was he let's face it, not surprised he's gone to Bayern, they're a top club who are willing to spend money to get success.

Power n Glory
16-01-2013, 05:23 PM
Big fish in a small pond. Signing for Bayern is an easy option. No other German club can match their spending power and he'd have to be a complete mug not to win anything with that team within 3 years. The main aim must be the Champions League because the title should be easy for him. So much for wanting a challenge.

BlindFaith_8
16-01-2013, 05:24 PM
That's it then, were stuck with the Nutty Proffessor until 2016 which equates to another 3 seasons in the wilderness with an empty trophy cabinet collecting nothing but dust particles.

Kano
16-01-2013, 06:18 PM
Big fish in a small pond. Signing for Bayern is an easy option. No other German club can match their spending power and he'd have to be a complete mug not to win anything with that team within 3 years. The main aim must be the Champions League because the title should be easy for him. So much for wanting a challenge.

going to city and chelsea would have been much harder i agree.

he should have come to The Best League In The World with The Best Defending In The World and The Best Football In The World.

Face it, the Bundesliga is a better league, with better standard of players and Bayern have a great pool of youth players too. it's pretty lazy to say bayern will dominate given this will be their first title in three seasons.

Why the fuck would he want to come to England for?

KSE Comedy Club
16-01-2013, 06:20 PM
Oh well, another season with the twat in charge.

Sigh.

Maestro
16-01-2013, 06:42 PM

he should have come to The Best League In The World with The Best Defending In The World and The Best Football In The World.

Face it, the Bundesliga is a better league, with better standard of players and Bayern have a great pool of youth players too. it's pretty lazy to say bayern will dominate given this will be their first title in three seasons.

this

Power n Glory
16-01-2013, 07:02 PM

Bayern are the richest club in Germany and are like the Real Madrid of Germany but there isn't a club in Germany that can match their spending power. I'd have more respect for the guy if he'd taken on a smaller club and done what Klopp has done with Dortmund. Winning the league with Bayern isn't something to shout about. What Dortmund and Klopp are doing is. And no, England isn't the best league in the world, I don't get swept up in all that hype. But he'd have a serious challenge on his hands if he were to pick any of the top clubs here because he'd have rival clubs looking to match him all the way. If he goes to Bayern and blows Dortmund away by spending millions, I won't respect that.

Ernesto
16-01-2013, 07:09 PM
I'm not trying to play Devil's Advocate here, but in what way is the German league better than the Premier League?

Given that hardly any player who is signed from Germany to play in the EPL flops on these shores, I can see the logic, but it would be interesting to know why?

Marc Overmars
16-01-2013, 07:09 PM
He'll be the next United manager, I'd stick money on it.

Kano
16-01-2013, 07:20 PM
I'm not trying to play Devil's Advocate here, but in what way is the German league better than the Premier League?

Given that hardly any player who is signed from Germany to play in the EPL flops on these shores, I can see the logic, but it would be interesting to know why?
did you see dortmund humiliate our champions twice this season? schalke outplay us twice and of course bayern would beat everyone in our league?

the league is run far more sensibly in financial terms, no billionaires can run in and screw it up and in general it is on the rise, whilst ours is on the way down. just because sky and all those muppets hide behind billions and pwetty graphics, there is no hiding the quality in the league right now has been going down for a few years.

pep just went there - the most sought after manager in the world right now. who is to say mourinho won't follow? the arrogance of the papers made sure we all believed it was only chelsea or city he could roll into but this is a sharp reminder of where this league stands right now.

Kano
16-01-2013, 07:23 PM
Bayern are the richest club in Germany and are like the Real Madrid of Germany but there isn't a club in Germany that can match their spending power. I'd have more respect for the guy if he'd taken on a smaller club and done what Klopp has done with Dortmund. Winning the league with Bayern isn't something to shout about. What Dortmund and Klopp are doing is. And no, England isn't the best league in the world, I don't get swept up in all that hype. But he'd have a serious challenge on his hands if he were to pick any of the top clubs here because he'd have rival clubs looking to match him all the way. If he goes to Bayern and blows Dortmund away by spending millions, I won't respect that.
why on earth would he want to take charge of one of the worlds biggest clubs, with a huge reputation and respect across the game? a club with a history bigger than ours, city's and chelsea's and one that would have been part and parcel of his childhood footballing world? not really hard to guess is it. bayern munich and barcelona on your CV? yes please. how many top rate managers go to a small club following huge success? i didn't see maureen doing so. he won't be walking in with no expectations and the CL is part and parcel of that, so it is complete arrogance to think that he would come to a declining league over one that is clearly on the rise. in my mind it's a brilliant move - completely left field and unexpected, yet somehow it is the easy route? do me a favour.

Ernesto
16-01-2013, 07:27 PM
did you see dortmund humiliate our champions twice this season? schalke outplay us twice and of course bayern would beat everyone in our league?

the league is run far more sensibly in financial terms, no billionaires can run in and screw it up and in general it is on the rise, whilst ours is on the way down. just because sky and all those muppets hide behind billions and pwetty graphics, there is no hiding the quality in the league right now has been going down for a few years.

pep just went there - the most sought after manager in the world right now. who is to say mourinho won't follow? the arrogance of the papers made sure we all believed it was only chelsea or city he could roll into but this is a sharp reminder of where this league stands right now.

I think they tend to have "fuller" stadia than ours, when it comes to filling out the crowds. The way coverage of Bundesliga games is buried and broadcast at some unGodly hour on an extra-terrestrial channel that we have to pay more for gives the German league an enigmatic quality.

I also believe that the matches are much more competitive, no? In spite of the riches of Bayern, you could tune into a game that they'd play against Schalke, say, and expect a closely contested 90 minutes.

Compare this to our recent games against Manchester United, which the rest of the world tune in to with eager anticipation.

Marc Overmars
16-01-2013, 07:29 PM
The infrastructure of the Bundesliga is 2nd to none.

Cheap tickets, safe standing areas and you can drink in the stands. :cloud9:

Power n Glory
16-01-2013, 07:35 PM
why on earth would he want to take charge of one of the worlds biggest clubs, with a huge reputation and respect across the game? a club with a history bigger than ours, city's and chelsea's and one that would have been part and parcel of his childhood footballing world? not really hard to guess is it. he won't be walking in with no expectations and the CL is part and parcel of that, so it is complete arrogance to think that he would come to a declining league over one that is clearly on the rise. in my mind it's a brilliant move - completely left field and unexpected, yet somehow it is the easy route? do me a favour.

What would your opinion be if he had moved to Chelsea or Man City? Wenger made an interesting comment the other day. Pep was served caviar at Barca and he'd be served caviar if he went to Chelsea.

As said, big fish in a small pond and unless the world's best players start moving to Germany along with the world's best managers, it will remain a small pond. I felt the same way when Ribery chose German league after playing in France.

Kano
16-01-2013, 07:51 PM
What would your opinion be if he had moved to Chelsea or Man City? Wenger made an interesting comment the other day. Pep was served caviar at Barca and he'd be served caviar if he went to Chelsea.

As said, big fish in a small pond and unless the world's best players start moving to Germany along with the world's best managers, it will remain a small pond. I felt the same way when Ribery chose German league after playing in France.
it would have been good to see a manager with his rep arrive and hopefully he could've imposed some of his philosophy into his team and the league.

that league is on the rise whilst ours is on the decline and there will be more to follow. no-one saw this coming and hopefully people (although given the arrogance in this country i doubt it) will start to wake up and realise where we are now. to criticise a player or manager for wanting to play for one of the worlds biggest teams makes no sense at all.

Power n Glory
16-01-2013, 08:37 PM
No disrespect to the German league but unless top players start seeing it as the place to be then things won't change. We were just saying on here that Pep is overrated as a manager and I disagreed with that but if he wins a few German league cups with Munich, the perception of him being a silverspoon manager won't change. If he come somehow transform Munich into the team everyone wants to watch and it the German league starts attracting major players, fair enough but he'll have to go beyond a few German titles to gain respect from some of critics. It's the same sort of criticism Mourinho receives. People say he was a paycheque manager at Chelsea, Inter and Real which is why he shouldn't be considered as the best. Same arguments are being put forward against Pep suggesting he was born with a silverspoon in his mouth because he had it made at Barca. But we shall see what he does at Bayern and if he can transform the image of that league then that would be quite an achievement.

Dennis Bendtner
16-01-2013, 09:32 PM
The German league does have major players. They're just...German.

Germans. :bow:

Kano
16-01-2013, 09:33 PM
@P&G

and in many ways i agree with most of that. he done very well at barca but still has to prove himself some more. however i find it insane to suggest going to one of the biggest clubs in modern footballing history (as in the past 50 years) is bottling it. remember, bayern do not accept second best. man city and chelsea have loads of money too but absolutely none of the prestige that comes with it and i can see every reason why a player or manager would want to go there if given the chance.

Power n Glory
16-01-2013, 09:52 PM
Bayern are like the Real Madrid/Man Utd of Germany and I can't see Dortmund keeping pace with them if he's given money to spend. That's why I say he's taken the easier route because there isn't a club in Germany that come close to Bayern's stature. What Dortmund is doing now with their young players is pretty phenomenal. I have a lot more respect for Klopp and his team because they've taken on the giant and won without spending crazy money.

Chelsea and City may lack the prestige but I'd say it's just the same as taken on Bayern Munich. I wouldn't respect Jose if he took on that team and won more titles. It's the biggest team in Germany and they're expected to win and dominate. The Prem is like an open field right now because there are so many teams bidding for the title. But if Pep sees things heading to Germany over the long term because of their stability and structure, fair enough. But historically, who has been Bayern's rival always pushing them on?

Kano
16-01-2013, 09:59 PM
they've won ten of the last twenty, dortmund with five - the closest here is chelsea or us compared to utd's 12.

i don't think it is solely about competition either. the technique of the league with its culture means just as much and pep would struggle to impose that in this country right now. there is also the chance to create a legacy (the 'big' players at bayern at hitting their 30's) built on their players coming through, which is something they have always been renowned for.

Power n Glory
16-01-2013, 10:22 PM
If Pep wanted to build a lasting legacy then England would be a great place to start. We belittle Chelsea and City but if he were able to turn those clubs infrastructures around and get them bringing in young players, playing nice football and spending wisely, he'd have a lasting legacy there. Even with us he'd have a chance to propel us to a level we've never reached and with the FFP coming through, I think the league is need of a new coach to come through and win things with a different philosophy.

If Pep were to build a dominant side in Germany like how he did in Spain and they just steamroll over every opponent, it's not going to help his legacy or the profile of the league. A lot of people already say La Liga is uncompetitive and too easy. I always disagree with that because the lower teams like Sevilla, Valencia and Athletico are good but lack funding whilst Barca and Real are two superpowers that keep getting stronger. The league isn't weak, they're just too damn good because the world's best players are divided between two clubs. Now imagine the Bundesliga with one superpower team and a guy like Pep in charge who can spend more than his closest rivals. It just won't be competitive and I won't rate him as much as someone like Klopp.

Kano
16-01-2013, 10:40 PM
i know what we're like and we'll go on forever, so i'll leave it here.

this is an interesting read however

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/blog/2013/jan/16/pep-guardiola-seduced-bayern-munich

-Xs-
16-01-2013, 10:45 PM
Nah.

A true great who wants a challenge wouldn't be taking on managing Chelsea or City; that's easy street. Chelsea and City's infrastructure/youth system will always be 2nd rate because if success doesn't come now they just through money at the first team until it does. Success at those clubs will always be attributed to the amount of money pumped into them. Even UTD to a certain degree, although at least their funds have been primarily generated of the back of the club itself rather than a wealthy benefactor. On the back of years with not much success, Fergie took them from nothing to something. That's the measure of a true great.

AW had that (though seems determined to basically ruin his own legacy of late, I guess that's his own prerogative)

Power n Glory
16-01-2013, 10:54 PM
But Bayern Munich? If we're going to berate Chelsea and City because they can throw funds around, Bayern can throw money around as well but there won't be anyone else in their league that can rival their spending power. The team that made it to the Champs League final wasn't cheap.

Marc Overmars
16-01-2013, 11:01 PM
Managers like Pep and Mourinho will only ever manage elite clubs.

She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
16-01-2013, 11:26 PM
went for the somewhat easy option. they have one of the best squad's in europe, in fact its like deja vu barca. he'll have to go in there and sort some of the ego's out again, sell a few big timers etc then eventually they'll dominate football for a few years.

if he wanted a real challenge he'd have come to england. chelsea in turmoil, city squad weak by their standards, we're shite. but i think he's biding his time for united. didnt he have a meeting with fergie in new york 2 weeks ago? fergie probably told him he's retiring in 2-3 years. perfect time for pep to complete a project in germany then head over.

dortmund vs bayern will be the new barca vs madrid. cant wait.