PDA

View Full Version : Poldi as a striker?

I_Killed_Kenny
16-01-2013, 12:45 PM
Seems to me we may be missing a trick here tbh. we have given theo a run as striker and I am all for it BUT we do actually have a good option instead of giroud, podolski! He did score 18 goals last season and that was as a striker, not Left wing forward thingy.

In games where we need a change up top i would like to see him given a chance there. In effect we do have 3 different types of strikers at the club (we still need a super top top quality one though) who can allow us to play in different ways. this seems like an option we are ignoring.

poldi is quite lethal in front of goal. probably better than the others yet never gets a sniff.

Whats others views?

Kano
16-01-2013, 12:53 PM
as an option when we have no one else sure, but i've warmed to idea of him out wide, given the goals he has scored there - no one else offers that from out wide right now.

he was also an AM for Koln but he'll never play there either.

Niall_Quinn
16-01-2013, 12:55 PM
He'd need good support to play as the main striker. Can we provide that? I'm not so sure. Then there's the whole political business of Walcott being sent back to the wing. I believe the little darling has objections to that.

server too busy!
16-01-2013, 01:01 PM
I think he'd do well in the CF position, he's a tenacious little bugger when he wants to be and I could see him robbing a few defenders and drilling a few goals in.

GP
16-01-2013, 01:01 PM
In a 442 with Giroud is the way forward.

I_Killed_Kenny
16-01-2013, 01:02 PM
bless him. but he will play on the wings at some point. but its just an option we arent using. NQ is probably right, can we provide for him, on the left, its probably a no. he seems to have a good eye for goal when central and at the moment isnt showing his shooting off that he is reknowned for IMO. basically, theo isnt our only option after giroud

I_Killed_Kenny
16-01-2013, 01:03 PM
In a 442 with Giroud is the way forward.

442 with giroud and either theo or poldi is what i would like too, cannot see it happening though.

Marc Overmars
16-01-2013, 01:11 PM
If you look at all of his goals they've all come from him originating in central areas, he's always going to do that because that what he's inclined to do, so he's essentially playing as a striker anyway. The problem is if he's marked out of the game our threat from the left is almost non-existent because he doesn't have the same match savvy a natural left winger would. It's why his season has been dotted with games he's been a passenger but also mini purple patches here and there.

Boss
16-01-2013, 01:14 PM
There's a reason none of the top teams in the world play 4-4-2.

I_Killed_Kenny
16-01-2013, 01:20 PM
If you look at all of his goals they've all come from him originating in central areas, he's always going to do that because that what he's inclined to do, so he's essentially playing as a striker anyway. The problem is if he's marked out of the game our threat from the left is almost non-existent because he doesn't have the same match savvy a natural left winger would. It's why his season has been dotted with games he's been a passenger but also mini purple patches here and there.

essentially playing as a striker isnt the same as playing as one though, probably what theo is arguing about. as a central striker he doesnt have to track back to cover the LB etc. where he can be left alone to trouble defenders and not worry about position on the left. put it this way, i wouldve liked theo to have dropped to a wider position and for podolski to play up front at least for a bit v man city. poldi would offer us a bit more agression up front and even if he was starved off service like theo was, i reckon he would make much more of a nuisance of himself than theo did.

Özim
16-01-2013, 02:02 PM
He's a striker, at Arsenal it means he should play on the wing.

I don't get it, for me he's clearly most suited to play up front in a goalpoacher role, don't think he has the game to play on the wing and think we're wasting his talent there.

If you want a winger buy one, don't buy a striker.

Grebbo
16-01-2013, 02:06 PM
He's very slow and his build up play isn't very good.

He's worth a shot though as Giroud isn't setting the world alight.

Özil's Panoramic View
16-01-2013, 02:16 PM
He the best finisher of the 3, imo. Could be a real threat as a goal poacher in and around that 18 yard area. But then, our manager never seems to be able to see the obvious, so no chance of Poldi proving my theory.

Cripps_orig
16-01-2013, 02:56 PM
Better than Giroud so worth a shot.

I_Killed_Kenny
16-01-2013, 03:03 PM
He the best finisher of the 3, imo. Could be a real threat as a goal poacher in and around that 18 yard area. But then, our manager never seems to be able to see the obvious, so no chance of Poldi proving my theory.

sad but true!

but if the BS about us now actually going for zaha this may give us an option for him to play left and free poldi for the central role at times

Özim
16-01-2013, 05:04 PM
sad but true!

but if the BS about us now actually going for zaha this may give us an option for him to play left and free poldi for the central role at times
Yeah dream on :lol: this is another kiddie corner project Wenger likes so much, he'll sign him and play him about 5 minutes until halfway through next season. When he does it'll be in some alien position that means even if he is any good he'll lose confidence and form and turn out to be rubbish.

I_Killed_Kenny
16-01-2013, 06:10 PM
Oh, i dont want zaha, i do want a ready made player. I just picked his name as thats the only bit of business we are linked with that we wont eventually do anyway!

Ernesto
16-01-2013, 06:54 PM
Of all the striking options we have up front- Giroud, Walcott, Bendtner, Arshavin, Chamakh- this guy is head and shoulders above the rest. Clinical striker. If this team could create chances, then having Podolski up front would make us very dangerous indeed. So much so, that we wouldn't be missing the c*nt who decided to go up to Salford.

It's a surprise that he hasn't started moaning about not playing in his favoured position (well, yet, anyway)