PDA

View Full Version : Goalscoring not defending the issue

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
22-01-2013, 06:29 PM
We bemoan our defending and rightly so, but for me the main problem is lack of goals.......with the exception of a few games where we have scored five, sixes and sevens....we are not scoring enough goals on a consistent basis.

In 14 of our 22 League games we have managed to score one goal or less, of those 14 games we have won 2 drawn drawn 6 and lost 6. In eight of those games we have managed one goal, in six of those games we have not scored. When we score one goal we have only gone onto win in 25% of those games. When we fail to score full stop we have drawn half the games and lost the other half.

In the remaining 8 when we have scored more than one goal, we have gone on to win 87.5% of the time.....in that there has only been one game in the league this season where we have scored more than once and not gone onto win (the 3-3 draw against Fulham).

Marc Overmars
22-01-2013, 06:39 PM
The lack of creativity is the problem. With Giroud and Theo the service has to be on point because they don't have the ability to score from half chances and come up with individual class like RVC did. People don't think we miss Song but he became very good at assisting the assister and opening teams up. Of course the real killer though was losing Cesc, we just haven't looked the same as an attacking force since.

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
22-01-2013, 06:46 PM
. As far as i'm concerned the problem can be summed up quite simply, no Robin Van Persie. Guy scored 40% of our league goals last season

Power n Glory
22-01-2013, 06:48 PM
It's both and we have problems in defence, midfield and attack. Shit in all areas.

Cripps_orig
22-01-2013, 06:48 PM
Would help if Arteta had a creative bone in his body

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
22-01-2013, 06:57 PM
The irony is we have scored two more goals than we managed at the same point last season, the problem is there isn't an even spread. 29 of the 41 goals we have scored this season have occurred in six games (six games where we have scored three or more goals), leaving sixteen games where we have amassed a collective amount of 12 goals.

Xhaka Can’t
22-01-2013, 07:06 PM
Managing is the issue.

Bergkampwonderland10
22-01-2013, 07:44 PM
WhoScored.com (WhoScored):
Gervinho: In 41 PL apps since joining Arsenal (24 starts on the wing) Gervinho has found a teammate with just 3 of his 63 attempted crosses

http://twitter.com/WhoScored/status/293769733805862913

Xhaka Can’t
22-01-2013, 07:45 PM
I didn't think he was that effective tbh.

Ollie the Optimist
22-01-2013, 07:45 PM
Gervinho: In 41 PL apps since joining Arsenal (24 starts on the wing) Gervinho has found a teammate with just 3 of his 63 attempted crosses

still a better success ratio then sagna

Bergkampwonderland10
22-01-2013, 07:51 PM
still a better success ratio then sagna

Wow a few bad games and a dip in form after a couple of leg breaks and 'true' arsenal fans slam one of our most consistent performers over the last 3 seasons! Nice.

Ollie the Optimist
22-01-2013, 07:51 PM
Wow a few bad games and a dip in form after a couple of leg breaks and 'true' arsenal fans slam one of our most consistent performers over the last 3 seasons! Nice.

:haha:

a few bad games, added into the fact he has a shit attidue right now, and the fact he has never been able to cross

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
22-01-2013, 07:52 PM

You'd have to go a long way to find someone who was surprised by that

Marc Overmars
22-01-2013, 08:07 PM
It's because Gervais doesn't have the composure or awareness to think about what he's doing.

There's an element of hit and hope about everything he does.

Özim
22-01-2013, 08:42 PM
Would help if Arteta had a creative bone in his body
Pretty much, though we have some talent in midfield but we don't have the right mix of players.

The defence is shocking and full of average players, the forward line is again very average.

I'm sorry but the signings in recent years have been shocking, there's barely an ounce of quality and this from a man who claims he only looks for super super quality and only wants players that are better than what he's got.

Kano
22-01-2013, 08:54 PM
We bemoan our defending and rightly so, but for me the main problem is lack of goals.......with the exception of a few games where we have scored five, sixes and sevens....we are not scoring enough goals on a consistent basis.

In 14 of our 22 League games we have managed to score one goal or less, of those 14 games we have won 2 drawn drawn 6 and lost 6. In eight of those games we have managed one goal, in six of those games we have not scored. When we score one goal we have only gone onto win in 25% of those games. When we fail to score full stop we have drawn half the games and lost the other half.

In the remaining 8 when we have scored more than one goal, we have gone on to win 87.5% of the time.....in that there has only been one game in the league this season where we have scored more than once and not gone onto win (the 3-3 draw against Fulham).
we have the talent and squad to be pushing for 3/4 at least and we even gave city a very good game at their place earlier in the season. but we can't achieve that because of the manager.

Boss
22-01-2013, 08:59 PM
we have the talent and squad to be pushing for 3/4 at least and we even gave city a very good game at their place earlier in the season. but we can't achieve that because of the manager.

We wouldn't have this squad at the price we do if not for the very same manager.

Kano
22-01-2013, 09:03 PM
that's great. a cut price squad because of a manager who can't sustain their ability. useful that.

Özim
22-01-2013, 09:08 PM
There's not a huge amount of talent in this squad IMO, if a new manager came in a massive clearout would be due with maybe a handful of players remaining.

Ollie the Optimist
22-01-2013, 09:17 PM
There's not a huge amount of talent in this squad IMO, if a new manager came in a massive clearout would be due with maybe a handful of players remaining.

lets take our first choice team.

chesney

sagna kos/merts/verm gibbs
arteta
theo jack cazorla podolski
giroud

no manager would get rid of that. they might drop sagna (current form) giroud to bench and get better striker in and maybe a left winger.

but thats a good team.

Özim
22-01-2013, 09:22 PM
The defence is sh*t to be honest, I reckon a new manager would replace much of it

Koscielny - Error prone
Mertesacker - As slow as a barge
Vermaelen - Awful positional play, plays like a full back
Gibbs - Can't defend

Midfield is not bad but there's no steel at all in there, Podolski is a striker not a winger, Arteta is awful in the DM role so he'd be replaced.

Up front, Giroud is pretty average, Podolski could have his spot, a decent striker would be brought in.

Cripps_orig
22-01-2013, 09:39 PM
The fact Giroud is seen as first choice by some says it all I'm afraid

KSE Comedy Club
22-01-2013, 09:53 PM
We wouldn't have this squad at the price we do if not for the very same manager.

Who cares how much the squad cost?

They arent performing up to the level they are supposed to be at and the manager cant work out how to get them to do so.

Surely that is more important?

Boss
22-01-2013, 10:03 PM
Who cares how much the squad cost?

They arent performing up to the level they are supposed to be at and the manager cant work out how to get them to do so.

Surely that is more important?

It is impossible for us to win the league in this climate. I don't think there's a manager apart from Ferguson who could better our third place finish last season.

If you see us as the fourth best team in the league, which we are, it's fair enough to get frustrated if we don't match that. And I still believe we'll get fourth.

The squad cost is important because it costs money to build a squad that can win this league, money which we don't have. And if you can't win the league, 2nd, 3rd or 4th is pretty much the same thing.

KSE Comedy Club
22-01-2013, 10:06 PM
It is impossible for us to win the league in this climate. I don't think there's a manager apart from Ferguson who could better our third place finish last season.

If you see us as the fourth best team in the league, which we are, it's fair enough to get frustrated if we don't match that. And I still believe we'll get fourth.

The squad cost is important because it costs money to build a squad that can win this league, money which we don't have. And if you can't win the league, 2nd, 3rd or 4th is pretty much the same thing.

Of course we could win the league in 'this current climate'. We've come close a few times.

Unfortunately we were let down by Wengers shite tactics, poor substitutions, stuborness and straight up refusal to strengthen the squad at times when we needed it to push us over the line.

If we had a more grounded manager and not the one that currently floats around on a fluffy cloud in the land of super super quality, we'd have won the PL by now.

Boss
22-01-2013, 10:16 PM
The only real criticism that I feel in terms of winning the league that can be leveled at Wenger is the 2007-08 debacle (not strengthening when we were in pole position) and perhaps 2009-10, where we should have put up a stronger challenge.

That said, we're competing against the world's best manager and two of the richest clubs in the world, something that no other manager in any other league in the world has had to do. Even with that, there's a few managers that were highly rated - I'm sure mentioned on lists that people would have wanted Wenger replaced with in the past - Scolari, AVB, Eriksson that have flopped far harder than Wenger ever has. Even Mancini barely managed to break ManU's dominance after wasting at least 300M on players, something that we can't afford to do.

I still believe that the risks required to try and win the league are too big and we're playing it conservative until FFP hopefully levels the playing field. Whether that actually happens is up for debate but you can't really fault the club for these moves.

Özil's Panoramic View
22-01-2013, 10:28 PM

Took you long enough.... I waited and waited for this rubbish to be spouted once more. :haha:

Niall_Quinn
22-01-2013, 11:38 PM

2 of those crosses were ruled out by the dubious crossing panel and the other was to find Kos in hos own 6 yard box when he headed an OG. Just goes to show, you can make a player look a lot better than he really is using stats.

Niall_Quinn
22-01-2013, 11:42 PM

Blame it on the snow all you want but what are you going to say when it melts?

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
23-01-2013, 06:52 PM
Blame it on the snow all you want but what are you going to say when it melts?

Thank f**k all that snow has melted, that's what i usually say.