PDA

View Full Version : Santos as a LW ?

Munchies
02-02-2013, 11:22 AM
He's probably going to be shipped out in the summer, but how about trying him out in the position Bale plays in ? Shit at defending, decent at attacking.

milla
02-02-2013, 11:28 AM
Feck no :coffee:

GP
02-02-2013, 11:28 AM
You'd drop Podolski for this waster?

Power n Glory
02-02-2013, 12:03 PM
Wenger was already toying with the idea in the summer during pre season games.

Özim
02-02-2013, 12:42 PM
Why not, he's Brazilian probably have decent skills as well much better than playing him at full back (who's idea was it to play this guy at full back in the 1st place?)

She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
02-02-2013, 12:42 PM
fuck off

Letters
02-02-2013, 01:03 PM
Might be worth a try. Not instead of Podolski but he shouldn't be playing on the left.

Alpha
02-02-2013, 01:13 PM
Santos can be very useful at the LW . Do not expect Podolski to play every game . Santos has a very good left shot . His decision making in the final third is much better than Gervinho's .
We need to look at the big picture to see it . But if we keep on using our anger and emotions to analyze the problem we will certainly miss out .

Power n Glory
02-02-2013, 01:27 PM
I can't see the harm in trying him there. Pod has some on and off games and it's not his fault because he's still adjusting to playing as a winger. Santos seems to know what to do when he's in the final third and can dribble so it's worth a shot. He can shoot as well.

I think the way we play our wingers unbalances the team. Both are strikers and to get the best out of their striking ability we need them to play closer to the box and getting on the shoulder of defenders, especially in Theo's case. They'll also drift more to the centre and it works fine in some games to do this and we've ripped teams that have foolishly gave us too much space and played a highline but better and more organised teams usually cause us problems.

It's worth trying Santos further up and seeing what he can do. His defending is the main problem from what I can see but going forwards he's pretty good and we need cover.

Marc Overmars
02-02-2013, 01:37 PM
Left wing is the only place he should play, he's clearly not a defender and that's been known since he first turned up.

Syn
02-02-2013, 01:40 PM
If this happens it would mimic the 07 summer signing of Sagna. Eboue (like Gibbs) was an average defender but doing quite well, great going forward...and Wenger decided to fix something that wasn't broken by bringing in a better RB in Sagna. Then he pushed Eboue as a right-mid and it worked to a certain extent, we went on to have a good season and width and overlapping runs of Eboue and Sagna allowed us to keep a pretty good shape.

The reason this Santos thing won't work is there's absolutely nothing he offers you over Podolski. With Eboue, at least he had good pace and a decent enough cross. Santos doesn't keep his width, waddles in-field and starts tapping it about (poorly) like he's one of the CMs. Waste of space - not needed. Left side was doing well recently or, at least, looked like our best bet in terms of getting a goal. Podolski in form and Gibbs overlapping was becoming a decent partnership. Should be interesting to see what happens with Monreal now. He's still only young but we need Oxlade to take off. That would make our options out-wide a lot stronger. Cazorla should be constantly playing on the right but Wenger's trying to cram Wilshere and Cazorla in the same space and it's not working.

Özil's Panoramic View
02-02-2013, 01:40 PM
I don't mind him playing Lfb or LW, or even striker for that matter, as long as he's not doing so in an Arsenal shirt.

He needs to fuck off.

Power n Glory
02-02-2013, 01:47 PM
If this happens it would mimic the 07 summer signing of Sagna. Eboue (like Gibbs) was an average defender but doing quite well, great going forward...and Wenger decided to fix something that wasn't broken by bringing in a better RB in Sagna. Then he pushed Eboue as a right-mid and it worked to a certain extent, we went on to have a good season and width and overlapping runs of Eboue and Sagna allowed us to keep a pretty good shape.

The reason this Santos thing won't work is there's absolutely nothing he offers you over Podolski. With Eboue, at least he had good pace and a decent enough cross. Santos doesn't keep his width, waddles in-field and starts tapping it about (poorly) like he's one of the CMs. Waste of space - not needed. Left side was doing well recently or, at least, looked like our best bet in terms of getting a goal. Podolski in form and Gibbs overlapping was becoming a decent partnership. Should be interesting to see what happens with Monreal now. He's still only young but we need Oxlade to take off. That would make our options out-wide a lot stronger. Cazorla should be constantly playing on the right but Wenger's trying to cram Wilshere and Cazorla in the same space and it's not working.

Pod has really been struggling as winger imo. He can have anonymous games and he's been at his best when we have space. He's not very direct and will hardly drive at his man and attempt to dribble past them. Maybe it's something he'll adjust to but I wouldn't mind seeing Santos played there if we ever had to push Pod into the centre or give him a rest.

I agree with Wilshere and Cazorla. The pair just aren't working together. The midfield trio have no cohesion and it's a serious worry. Maybe in time they'll get better.

Syn
02-02-2013, 02:02 PM
Pod has really been struggling as winger imo. He can have anonymous games and he's been at his best when we have space. He's not very direct and will hardly drive at his man and attempt to dribble past them. Maybe it's something he'll adjust to but I wouldn't mind seeing Santos played there if we ever had to push Pod into the centre or give him a rest.

I agree with Wilshere and Cazorla. The pair just aren't working together. The midfield trio have no cohesion and it's a serious worry. Maybe in time they'll get better.

He does have some quiet games but he has become more consistent recently. The bottom line is that three attacking players (Giroud, Walcott, Podolski) are going to struggle the games if we can't control the midfield. He has put in some fantastic performances in the games we have won recently - and Theo and Giroud are really benefiting as a result. He can do what's required of him - best crosser in the team by far, tracks back well to help out Gibbs who's usually stuck in the opposition penalty area. But we know when wide players don't see enough of the ball the temptation is to start going in field. And then when you do have the ball they're not where you want them to be.

Can't see the mid trio of Cazorla, Wilshere + (Ramsey, Arteta, Diaby) getting better. The central midfield has been horrible (that's not to say they're playing badly, it's just that they don't fit in their roles). Wilshere and Cazorla are not CMs. Just because Wilshere can tackle doesn't mean we should want him tackling because his strengths are elsewhere - he should be high up the pitch (like in the Swansea game) taking the ball 30 yards out and looking to do something. We should be building the team around him. What we desperately needed was a massive physical presence in the centre who is only focused on winning the ball back. Some reckless nutcase. I'm not interested in their attacking contribution, just sit there, win your headers, win your tackles and pass to the nearest player. Then you play Arteta/Diaby alongside that monster, and allow Jack to basically do whatever he wants. Put Cazorla out wide on the right, Theo/Giroud up front, Podolski left and the balance is sorted.

Niall_Quinn
02-02-2013, 02:28 PM
He's probably going to be shipped out in the summer, but how about trying him out in the position Bale plays in ? Shit at defending, decent at attacking.

I agree, he'd be great in Bale's role! Plus it would be serious fun laughing at the spuds. Definitely, sell him to the bastards.

fakeyank
02-02-2013, 05:00 PM
I'd play him on the left side of the pitch outside the touchline.. he can keep passing the ball to the ball boy and warm up all he can. He is a serious waste of space. Dont want him anywhere near an Arsenal team

McNamara That Ghost...
09-02-2013, 02:16 PM
BBC Radio 5 live senior football reporter Ian Dennis at the Stadium of Light:

"I have some transfer news for Arsenal fans. I expect left-back Andre Santos to return to Brazil in the next few days, with a loan deal possible to Gremio."

Oh no.

Asthmatic Kitty
10-02-2013, 02:09 PM
looks like he's gone
http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11670/8490239/Arsenal-full-back-Andre-Santos-is-on-the-brink-of-joining-Brazilian-side-Gremio

:clap:

Cripps_orig
10-02-2013, 02:20 PM
Good luck to him

Dennis Bendtner
10-02-2013, 02:28 PM
Arrival at his new club:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BCvqCe9CcAAbiy4.jpg

:lol: these are always funny. Vassell. :bow:

Niall_Quinn
10-02-2013, 02:32 PM
He may have just flow out there to collect shirts. But great news if he's really gone.

Marc Overmars
10-02-2013, 02:59 PM
Another super quality player bites the dust.

McNamara That Ghost...
10-02-2013, 03:02 PM
Hands in the air.
Santos is he..ah shit.