PDA

View Full Version : Vieira joins Bergkamp on list to replace Brady in youth role at Arsenal

Munchies
08-02-2013, 12:55 AM
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2275319/Patrick-Vieira-return-Arsenal-replace-Liam-Brady.html#axzz2K4hFWzOR

Interesting

Japan Shaking All Over
08-02-2013, 03:18 AM
Very.
not sure about Paddy. . .been,a bit of a gobshite since being at Citeh
Bergkamp would be the sexy choice

Brady :bow:

Özim
08-02-2013, 08:55 AM
Would love Vieira back at the club, was such a great player and someone all youngsters would look up to, then hopefully he can kick out Wenger and take over and Bergkamp came come in as his assistant to make a dream team!

Kano
08-02-2013, 09:25 AM
He has muddied the waters now, so no, he can fuck right off.

I'd rather just remember him as a great player rather than doing any dodgy shit behind the scenes.

Özim
08-02-2013, 10:51 AM
Why has he middied the waters? Because he got a jop elsewhere?

I don't remember us offering him a chance to be involved so why wouldn't he go elsewhere.

I_Killed_Kenny
08-02-2013, 12:08 PM
exactly. why would he not want to take the city job if nothing else was there. he cant just sit there waiting for the chance that we offered him a role of some sort. So if there is a chance someone of calibre can coach the yoof them i am all for it. get both tbh!

Injury Time
08-02-2013, 12:40 PM
Why has he middied the waters? Because he got a jop elsewhere

are you the policeman from 'allo 'alllo?

I thought he 'middied the water with getting involved with Ca$hley wages tbh. Bergkamp yes please, Vieira meh.

Power n Glory
08-02-2013, 12:48 PM
It's not just the City job. It's the crap he has said to help bridge a gap between players and the club. I won't forgot the Cole situation and the advice he gave him when there were disputes over his contract. That was bad enough but he tapped up Nasri as well and the shot about the fans being more passionate at Highbury had to have come from him. I wouldn't want Vieira back at the club.

Power n Glory
08-02-2013, 12:48 PM
are you the policeman from 'allo 'alllo?

I thought he 'middied the water with getting involved with Ca$hley wages tbh. Bergkamp yes please, Vieira meh.

:gp:

Syn
08-02-2013, 01:02 PM
What's this obsession with wanting great ex-players back at the club? We sound like Newcastle fans. Being a good player and being a good coach are two completely different things.

I have little problem with Vieira being here though. You know those type of people. Looking out for no.1, doesnt give a fuck what others think, absolute ****s...give them a job though and they'll get it done. I dont care that he doesnt care about Arsenal, but as I say, it remains to be seen whether he could be a good coach.

Kano
08-02-2013, 01:03 PM
pat was and still is a legend of a player for our club. but that's where it stops.

ideally you'd want someone for the role who is competent and who loves the club but unfortunately pat is very single minded and would only do it for the right money, nothing else which would mean we'd be looking for someone else in a couple of years. he'd offer no longetivity.

Fist of Lehmann
08-02-2013, 01:29 PM
What's this obsession with wanting great ex-players back at the club? We sound like Newcastle fans. Being a good player and being a good coach are two completely different things.

I have little problem with Vieira being here though. You know those type of people. Looking out for no.1, doesnt give a fuck what others think, absolute ****s...give them a job though and they'll get it done. I dont care that he doesnt care about Arsenal, but as I say, it remains to be seen whether he could be a good coach.

Three reasons, possibly erroneous.

1. That the player is 'coming home'. Fans have a ready-made affection for ex-players and feel that because you've worn the shirt you're one of us, plus the idea that the player himself reciprocates those feels.

2. That a player will coach or manage in the style that they played. So fans imagine Bergkamp coaching our kids how to do all the little pirouettes, flicks and play the Ajax way. And they imagine Vieira teaching them how to destroy the opponent and make blockbusting runs upfield.

Yet for every positive example (Laudrup coaching technical passing football) there is a counter example, George Graham (nicknamed 'The Stroller' for his languid, creative style) coached a much more pragmatic defensive style.

3. That they will be as good a coach as they were a player. While there are notable examples (Mancini, Pep), the majority of top coaches had only very modest footballing careers.

As Arrigo Sacchi once famously said: "I did not realise that to be a jockey, one has to have been born a horse". His point was that imparting skills and knowledge is a completely different ability to their application.

Most players have no idea how they do what they do and would make terrible managers.

Syn
08-02-2013, 02:04 PM
They are sound reasons but point 3 is about a gazillion times more important than the first two. And that was my point. I would go as far as to say truly great, naturally gifted players (bergkamp is in that bracket, Vieira might miss out) are unlikely to make good coaches because they have something you can't teach. It's harder for them to identify with players who are struggling with their game because it all came naturally to them.

Power n Glory
08-02-2013, 02:06 PM
I think we need ex players around the club just so we can keep what little is left of our identity. It was bad enough that we shipped out the old veterans so quickly and went for youth over experience, I feel we'd be making the same mistake if we started to do the same with our coaching staff. At Board level it seems as though PHW is the only one left that has a connection to the Highbury years. As much as a git he is it's better than nothing at all. I wouldn't want Stan running things without proper Arsenal people to consult. Wenger has to look into the coaching side of things and starting passing off duties to his coaching staff.

Syn
08-02-2013, 02:16 PM
PnG I'm not sure Vieira should count as a figure in the 'identity' of the club. Probably not even PHW...does he really care? (Genuine question. You'd think so but his behaviour suggests otherwise). You see Henry in and around training and there was a picture with him, Arteta and Cazorla in the dressing room (no homo. Unfortunately.) and you get the feeling he is making an active effort to stay involved. There may be others like Adams who weren't offered a role and were frozen out a bit - and that's probably wrong. But at the same time, we can't invent fake roles like Man City (club ambassador...wtf?) and keep our legends on the payroll. We already have a problem of paying out to staff who have no function.

Letters
08-02-2013, 02:38 PM
Would love Vieira back at the club, was such a great player and someone all youngsters would look up to, then hopefully he can kick out Wenger and take over and Bergkamp came come in as his assistant to make a dream team!
Yes, because both have a great pedigree in management.
Being great players doesn't mean they'll be great managers.

Power n Glory
08-02-2013, 02:47 PM
PnG I'm not sure Vieira should count as a figure in the 'identity' of the club. Probably not even PHW...does he really care? (Genuine question. You'd think so but his behaviour suggests otherwise). You see Henry in and around training and there was a picture with him, Arteta and Cazorla in the dressing room (no homo. Unfortunately.) and you get the feeling he is making an active effort to stay involved. There may be others like Adams who weren't offered a role and were frozen out a bit - and that's probably wrong. But at the same time, we can't invent fake roles like Man City (club ambassador...wtf?) and keep our legends on the payroll. We already have a problem of paying out to staff who have no function.

As said earlier, I'm against Vieira coming back but would like to see more ex players that care for the club involved. Bergkamp I'm all for.

Kano
08-02-2013, 02:53 PM
both, or any other ex player, could be completely useless but the interesting thing with Dennis is his progression through a few different levels at ajax through to assisting De Boer with the first team.

Power n Glory
08-02-2013, 03:28 PM
both, or any other ex player, could be completely useless but the interesting thing with Dennis is his progression through a few different levels at ajax through to assisting De Boer with the first team.

That's why I want Dennis to come back here. Wenger was inspired by the Ajax, Total Football philosophy and their youth development system. Cryuff took what he learned there and imported it over to Barca when he was coach. Wishful thinking but it would be great if Dennis could do something similar here.

I_Killed_Kenny
08-02-2013, 04:10 PM
presuming vieira can coach and at a level good enough for us, i would take him back. forget some things he may have said or done as he wasnt working for arsenal then (some people on here were willing to take cashley back). if he were to be a good coach plus have the history behind him as part of the invicibles and the 1st part of wengers jigsaw this can only be a good thing. people want to be around good players whether they are coaches or not. They have an aura and command respect. They are also a show to the yoof that you can reach the heights of these great players one day. who better to show them the way than one of the invincibles. BUT AS LONG AS HE CAN COACH.

If they were all good coaches i would love to have people like jens, keown, viera and bergy back. Bergkamp is the one though i would vote for out of all of them

Niall_Quinn
08-02-2013, 04:39 PM
How could we lose with God as our coach?

Vieira - not so much. Has to be Bergie. And get rid of Wenger too and the board. Job done :good:

Dennis Bendtner
08-02-2013, 05:31 PM
I don't think Brady's role is what the article intimates i.e. work on the training pitch. He signs the young players and appoints the youth coaches. Would have thought it's a fairly specific role which more experienced coaches would be interested in. So this shortlisting former players stuff looks all guff. Regardless, look at the coaching staff now, there are a number of former gooners.

I like seeing ex-players from the Wenger years spending time at the club, it's undeniably cool. Like Jens recently. He's probably been doing some goalkeeper coaching. What a guy. But yeah, best man for the job and all that.

Cripps_orig
08-02-2013, 06:28 PM
Don't care if they are ex players or not but they need to be able to do the job. Bould has failed.

There is also the danger of what if somehow things get even worse should we bring them in, it might tarnish their legacy. Just look at Wengers legacy to see how one can be ruined

BOBN
09-02-2013, 05:09 PM
Would prefer vieira over bergkamp as he was the better player.

GP
09-02-2013, 05:13 PM
Would prefer vieira over bergkamp as he was the better player.

:haha:

Not only is that wrong, it's utterly irrelevant.

BOBN
09-02-2013, 05:15 PM

Not only is that wrong, it's utterly irrelevant.
The kids would respect vieira more. He went to war with keane and won.

GP
09-02-2013, 05:43 PM
The kids would respect vieira more. He went to war with keane and won. Bergkamp is most known for his refusal to fly.

Shut up.

Ollie the Optimist
09-02-2013, 05:45 PM
The kids would respect vieira more. He went to war with keane and won. Bergkamp is most known for his refusal to fly.

thats possibly the most stupid post ever posted on here

Master Splinter
09-02-2013, 05:47 PM
Listen, Vieira was Keane's bitch in all honesty.

McNamara That Ghost...
09-02-2013, 06:02 PM

In fairness, that means Bergkamp will be in the country at all times so they aren't as likely to play up.

Xhaka Can’t
09-02-2013, 06:37 PM

You're a one trick pony.

And your trick is fucking boring.

GP
09-02-2013, 06:39 PM
You're a one trick pony.

And your trick is fucking boring.

Not trick, illusion.

Özim
09-02-2013, 09:39 PM
Bergkamp is no more qualified to be a coach than Vieira, but Vieira is more outspoken and perhaps a stronger character (and leader)...that doesn't equate to him being a better manager but at this point it's all we have to judge them on.

One things for sure, if Bergkamp became manager he wouldn't harp on about being in the CL for X years due to his fear of flying. Probably prefer to be in it once and win it!

Ollie the Optimist
09-02-2013, 09:54 PM
Bergkamp is no more qualified to be a coach than Vieira, but Vieira is more outspoken and perhaps a stronger character (and leader)...that doesn't equate to him being a better manager but at this point it's all we have to judge them on.

One things for sure, if Bergkamp became manager he wouldn't harp on about being in the CL for X years due to his fear of flying. Probably prefer to be in it once and win it!

Apart from bergkamp coaches at Ajax and I think he is also assistant manager there. And vieira does a desk job for city and has never coached in his life. But apart from that they are both equally qualified

GP
09-02-2013, 10:19 PM
:lol: