PDA

View Full Version : Where are we after almost a decade of this?

Niall_Quinn
28-03-2013, 02:12 AM
Something happened during this recent International break, something that hasn't really happened before (in my case). I simply didn't notice (or care) there was no football (naturally I discounted the Internationals as football). I didn't watch England, couldn't care less whether they won, lost, drew, qualified. But more notably I'm not even remotely interested about the upcoming domestic match. Reading is it? I only know who the opponents are from visiting this forum. Saturday? Sunday? Monday? Don't know. Don't care. Won't be watching it and don't give a toss about the result.

This isn't some sulky rebellion. I genuinely couldn't care less. I have been enjoying the start of the new F1 season and that's more than enough for me. I loved Vettell and Webber almost killing each other to win even though they get paid millions. I don't miss the complacency of football at all.

Hopefully this isn't a growing old thing - don't think so, I think it's more to do with the fact football is boring and predictable as hell now. The quality is so low, the players so ordinary (apart from their extraordinary wages). Crooks own the teams. Sounds like the stars are all on dope too, hardly a surprise. Is there anything to like about this "sport" any more?

How about you? Does anyone actually care about this any more? I mean passionately or to the point where they leap up and down in the room or curse the ref's parents or cry all week about being cheated or all the usual stuff fans who give a fuck do?

Syn
28-03-2013, 02:27 AM
Nah, of course it's not just you.

Interest (real interest - the jump and down type that you talk of) might've been slowly diminishing but selling Van Persie ended it. We had, on some level, accepted that many players didn't really care about the club - and I guess this has been an increasing trend in football over the last 15-20 years with more foreign players and less local products. But what really stung was a clear signal that the club itself don't care for non-monetary issues such as pride or tradition. I still watch games when I can - force of habit and it's something to have on in the background, but not one result - win or lose - has got much more than a 'meh' out of me.

fakeyank
28-03-2013, 04:54 AM
I love the game. I could watch football all day so I am always excited about the game. Do I curse and cry over ref's decisions, fouls etc? Not anymore... I dont know if it has to do with age or more with how mediocre we have become. Mediocrity is something I can accept too but just the lack of passion really kills me. I have been an Arsenal fan since I can remember and I will always make an attempt to follow them, no matter how long the muppets in the boardroom or the muppet managing our club is there. There is a hope in me that some day something will change and I will watch this game and Arsenal till that happens (hopefully in my lifetime!) and then rejoice like the good old days. :trophy:

Marc Overmars
28-03-2013, 08:15 AM
My interest in the sport as a whole is as low as it's ever been, I mean, I'm not even going to cut myself if Spurs finish above us.

I live in hope that one day soon Wenget will go and we can look forward to something different at the club. Whether that will be positive change or negative remains to be seen, but at least it'll be something worth talking about, because currently we have fuck all to discuss that hasn't been spoken about a million times before.

Kano
28-03-2013, 08:57 AM
the olympics almost killed football for me but as the season has progressed I’ve gotten back into it, enjoying as much as ever.

england and internationals in general can go fuck themselves but I still very much involved in this game and don’t see it changing.

i hate what's happening at the club but whilst i've given up my season ticket after 20 years, i still want to watch and engage with every game we play. it still matters to me.

Özim
28-03-2013, 08:59 AM
I've totally lost interest as well, I know we're playing Reading but i'm in the "who cares camp" now, there's nothing exciting about it and I haven't missed our games during the International break, I'm just not that bothered about our fight for "4th place".

Nothing changes, noone wakes up and smells the coffee, everything is on replay every season, it's like watching the same program over and over again, after a while it no longer captures your interest.

We all know what's going to happen this summer right and where we will be this time next year?

Cripps_orig
28-03-2013, 09:39 AM
I actually prefer internationals these days.

Lost interest in club football. Got rid of Sky around a year ago plus being at work means I don't watch Arsenal as much as I used to and I couldn't care less. I do go to games but that's on.y cos the season ticket has been paid for so its more having to go than wanting to go.

Don't care whether we win the 4th place trophy or not. The only real enjoyment from football I have got from football over the last few years is International Tournaments and Barca being Reals bitches. Enjoyed Chelsea humiliating those ****s last season more than anything Arsenal have done in years. It's a shame but Wenger has killed football for me

LDG
28-03-2013, 09:58 AM
Symptomatic of pretty much everything in modern day pop culture.

Once money is the prime objective, as it is in many other pursuits, the quality reduces, the heart goes out of it, and it's all about appeal to the masses, and the dumb.

The club has disowned its identity and history. Part of that is down to the game as a whole, but it's also a decision made by the shareholders and backed by Wenger to put finance first above the game.

I follow it, yes. Because I've always followed it. I'll be happy at a win, pissed off at a loss, but I don't feel inclined to interupt my Saturday evening to watch MOTD. If I miss a match on TV, I don't feel as though I've let anyone down anymore.

The club has distanced itself from it's fanbase, and now it's fanbase will distance itself more and more from the club. Which ultimately will mean the club loses out, bar a lucky few who take their swag with them.

Fuck, I don't even know how the WUM's are able to build up an appetite for coming on here anymore. Their material is so dire now that nobody even reads their stuff, let alone bites.

Xhaka Can’t
28-03-2013, 11:16 AM
I couldn't care less anymore.

But I haven't changed at all.

Arsenal did.

Power n Glory
28-03-2013, 11:17 AM
Football just isn’t what it used to be and when you add in the dross we’re servicing up each year, it’s no surprise that we’re all feeling disheartened. We don’t even play good football anymore and it’s not entertaining to watch. It’s painful viewing and it’s to the point where I always end up asking why I’ve wasted a good few hours watching it. I sure as hell won’t go out of my way to pay to watch a game anymore and that’s a huge difference to how I felt when younger. I was never able to afford to go to games but now that I can I don’t bloody want to. I’m also reconsidering that Sky and EPSN subscription.

Football in general is suffering and it’s not what it used to be. Real Madrid and Barca have a monopoly on the world’s best players and it’s making things boring. The whole doped up superstar team is making things lopsided. All the best players are dotted around the same few clubs and if Real announce the signing of someone like Suarez, I have no interest in seeing how he plays there because I’m pretty sure he won’t have to work anywhere near as hard as he’s had to work at Liverpool. He won’t have to drop deep or into different positions as much because all the creativity will already be behind him and he might as well just wait for service. It’s bloody boring and you don’t get to see really talented players flourish. Have a bad season or pick up an injury and you’ll end up like Villa or Kaka…on the bench. Or you get played out of position like Cesc and Mascherano. It’s nowhere near as fun as it used to be. Or maybe Arsenal have just put a massive cloud over how I now view things?

LDG
28-03-2013, 11:34 AM
Football just isn’t what it used to be and when you add in the dross we’re servicing up each year, it’s no surprise that we’re all feeling disheartened. We don’t even play good football anymore and it’s not entertaining to watch. It’s painful viewing and it’s to the point where I always end up asking why I’ve wasted a good few hours watching it. I sure as hell won’t go out of my way to pay to watch a game anymore and that’s a huge difference to how I felt when younger. I was never able to afford to go to games but now that I can I don’t bloody want to. I’m also reconsidering that Sky and EPSN subscription.

Football in general is suffering and it’s not what it used to be. Real Madrid and Barca have a monopoly on the world’s best players and it’s making things boring. The whole doped up superstar team is making things lopsided. All the best players are dotted around the same few clubs and if Real announce the signing of someone like Suarez, I have no interest in seeing how he plays there because I’m pretty sure he won’t have to work anywhere near as hard as he’s had to work at Liverpool. He won’t have to drop deep or into different positions as much because all the creativity will already be behind him and he might as well just wait for service. It’s bloody boring and you don’t get to see really talented players flourish. Have a bad season or pick up an injury and you’ll end up like Villa or Kaka…on the bench. Or you get played out of position like Cesc and Mascherano. It’s nowhere near as fun as it used to be. Or maybe Arsenal have just put a massive cloud over how I now view things?

As a great man once said "little bit both"

Shaqiri Is Boss
28-03-2013, 11:54 AM
I certainly don't find it as interesting or enjoyable as I once did.

There's probably a number of reasons for that, but I don't doubt us being pretty crap for the last few years is one of the main reasons. That and I have no real attachment to the players any more, there's only really Carra and Gerrard, possibly Reina, but not the rest...

Cripps_orig
28-03-2013, 12:07 PM
I certainly don't find it as interesting or enjoyable as I once did.

There's probably a number of reasons for that, but I don't doubt us being pretty crap for the last few years is one of the main reasons. That and I have no real attachment to the players any more, there's only really Carra and Gerrard, possibly Reina, but not the rest...and with Reina coming to us, Carra dying and Gerrard a bit shit, even that attachment will go soon.

Özim
28-03-2013, 12:17 PM
This thread >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Classics Section

Shaqiri Is Boss
28-03-2013, 12:18 PM
and with Reina coming to us, Carra dying and Gerrard a bit shit, even that attachment will go soon.
Well quite. And Reina is only really there because I like GKs.

Although Gerrard has been good this season, second in assists only to Mata who is little bit good. And, somehow, he's played every minute of the PL so far.

I certainly can't see the likes of Shelvey taking over that mantle, though I guess I have to put my hopes into some youngsters.

Who is there left for you guys though? Wilshere?

LDG
28-03-2013, 12:26 PM

Although Gerrard has been good this season, second in assists only to Mata who is little bit good. And, somehow, he's played every minute of the PL so far.

I certainly can't see the likes of Shelvey taking over that mantle, though I guess I have to put my hopes into some youngsters.

Sir Chesney is a Gooner. He's just a bit rubbish at the moment.

Kos gets my thumbs up too. Not for ability alone (though he's #decent) He does care, and wears his heart on his sleeve.

Cripps_orig
28-03-2013, 12:29 PM
For me personally, it's the legend in the making Theo. he's had to work hard to be as good as he is, to earn what he does. The only player we have that all true gooners have an attachment to and genuinely like. Wilshere gets a pay increase for doing f all for a year and a half and now is dead again. No attachment there whatsoever.

Theo is our shining light and one player who can lead us out of this desperate situation. He needs help though and Wenger refuses to give it to him.

There are other players I like. Our Germans are a little bit awesome. Gibbs probably too despite being little bit injury prone.

LDG
28-03-2013, 12:55 PM
For me personally, it's the legend in the making Theo. he's had to work hard to be as good as he is, to earn what he does. The only player we have that all true gooners have an attachment to and genuinely like. Wilshere gets a pay increase for doing f all for a year and a half and now is dead again. No attachment there whatsoever.

Theo is our shining light and one player who can lead us out of this desperate situation. He needs help though and Wenger refuses to give it to him.

There are other players I like. Our Germans are a little bit awesome. Gibbs probably too despite being little bit injury prone.

:lol:

I really hope Eisfeld gets a go.

Cripps_orig
28-03-2013, 01:06 PM
By Germans I meant Podolski and Mertesacker tbh

I actually forgot as have most I'm sure about Eisfeld and don't we have another German pub teamer youth player? For some reason I'm thinking ngibbles or something.

2 of our latest inductees in the youth project hall of shame

Shaqiri Is Boss
28-03-2013, 01:07 PM
I can't say I've ever been in your youth team.

I'm sure I can give it a go though.

Xhaka Can’t
28-03-2013, 01:29 PM

There isn't much left at all. Too early to say about Wilshere, Jenkinson is a Gooner, but at best he is promising. There really isn't anyone else in the side that even has the prospect of being the type of Gooner allied to ability that we had in the past.

I don't think it is just us this is happening to. Most other teams are either in the same boat or heading in a similar direction.

Cripps_orig
28-03-2013, 01:37 PM
I can't say I've ever been in your youth team.

I'm sure I can give it a go though.

Another player true gooners can feel an attachment to :bow:

Niall_Quinn
28-03-2013, 02:05 PM
The stagnation of football and its descent into a money game coinciding with a general economic landslide can't help either. Priorities are easily ordered these days. Even so, it's certainly not that alone because football was there during the last big economic shit pile and Arsenal was just as ordinary as it is today performance wise. But back then football was a very welcome escape mechanism. Not now. Having to pay £100 for a ticket put paid to that.

As for Wilshere, in reality can he really afford to play the martyr? Because that's what he will be if he stays, a bit like Gerrard. The centrepiece in something of little note. So you could say you would understand if he left, but left for what? Real Madrid, Manchester Utd? Those clubs are more about selling shirts now from what I can see.

It's a collection of small changes, for instance I used to look at the clock during a game and think wow, that went fast, only 20 minutes left and the football is over, having waited all week to see it of course. Now I look at the clock and think, really, only 20 minutes gone? Shit, this thing is dragging.

Last game I genuinely enjoyed was Celtic vs Barca. A throwback to the underdog thing I suppose.

The mention of the RvP sale, that was probably it for me too. Not in terms of a sudden shift but more the underlining or rubber stamping of on ongoing loss of connection to the sport.

Power n Glory
28-03-2013, 02:27 PM
The RVP sale was a clear indication of where we’re heading as a club. I can understand why players want to leave the club and especially in RVP’s case but the club showed themselves up with that sale. They have no pride or integrity. We sold Man Utd the league with that sale. The fact that we’ve sold our best players to the two Manchester clubs just shows this club has lost its soul.

Letters
28-03-2013, 03:54 PM
I love the game.
Oh I still love the game, but at the top level it's not a game any more, it's a business.

We're not fans of a club any more, we're customers of a business which, like most businesses, have made it increasingly clear they value profit over everything else. The club treat as customers and, worse, they know they have a monopoly over us in the sense that we can't go down the road and start giving Spurs our custom. We're Arsenal fans, we're customers who can only use one supplier. All we can do (and what many are doing, myself included) is withdraw our custom. But there are enough mugs out there to take our place, or have been. How long that will remain is questionable.

There's little passion in the ground these days, Arsenal have relentlessly marketed themselves at the middle class fan (the silly prices, Club Level) and that's what they've got. The tradional support have long since been priced out.

People have mentioned us being little bit shit and not playing great football. Those are undoubtedly factors in my ennui with football but in the mid nineties the football was far worse but there was one major difference - it was still a sport, we still felt connected to the club. Yes, they were a bit rubbish but they were our rubbish - we felt they cared, we felt they'd run through walls for us and the club. Yes, they got good wages but not such silly money that they had no connection with us fans. Cole's infamous "I nearly swerved off the road" neatly sums up the modern footballer's complete lack of self-awareness and connection with the average fan.

I'll never forget the day I met Ian Wright when dad and me picked up our Bond certificates. I was completely star-struck. It was all I could do to blurt out "you're king of the world, you are!" :lol:
Now. Meh. I'm not the least bit bothered about meeting any of them. They couldn't give a shit about us*, why should we care about them?
(* - I think Jack is a rare counter-example but most of the rest of them...they'd be off the moment the right person waves a big enough cheque at them)

IMO the rot started when Sky got involved. They promised us a 'whole new ball-game', they certainly delivered that. And then UEFA expanded the European Cup into the 'Champions' League. Then, as success in football became increasinly correlated with money, the billionaires got involved and started buying up all the major trophies.

UEFA's half-arsed 'financial fair play' policy is far too little, too late and pretty much unenforceable.

In brief: Balls to it. Balls to it all.

:ilt:

LDG
28-03-2013, 03:57 PM
Oh I still love the game, but at the top level it's not a game any more, it's a business.

We're not fans of a club any more, we're customers of a business which, like most businesses, have made it increasingly clear they value profit over everything else. The club treat as customers and, worse, they know they have a monopoly over us in the sense that we can't go down the road and start giving Spurs our custom. We're Arsenal fans, we're customers who can only use one supplier. All we can do (and what many are doing, myself included) is withdraw our custom. But there are enough mugs out there to take our place, or have been. How long that will remain is questionable.

There's little passion in the ground these days, Arsenal have relentlessly marketed themselves at the middle class fan (the silly prices, Club Level) and that's what they've got. The tradional support have long since been priced out.

People have mentioned us being little bit shit and not playing great football. Those are undoubtedly factors in my ennui with football but in the mid nineties the football was far worse but there was one major difference - it was still a sport, we still felt connected to the club. Yes, they were a bit rubbish but they were our rubbish - we felt they cared, we felt they'd run through walls for us and the club. Yes, they got good wages but not such silly money that they had no connection with us fans. Cole's infamous "I nearly swerved off the road" neatly sums up the modern footballer's complete lack of self-awareness and connection with the average fan.

I'll never forget the day I met Ian Wright when dad and me picked up our Bond certificates. I was completely star-struck. It was all I could do to blurt out "you're king of the world, you are!" :lol:
Now. Meh. I'm not the least bit bothered about meeting any of them. They couldn't give a shit about us*, why should we care about them?
(* - I think Jack is a rare counter-example but most of the rest of them...they'd be off the moment the right person waves a big enough cheque at them)

IMO the rot started when Sky got involved. They promised us a 'whole new ball-game', they certainly delivered that. And then UEFA expanded the European Cup into the 'Champions' League. Then, as success in football became increasinly correlated with money, the billionaires got involved and started buying up all the major trophies.

UEFA's half-arsed 'financial fair play' policy is far too little, too late and pretty much unenforceable.

In brief: Balls to it. Balls to it all.

:ilt:

:gp:

(apart from the gay bit about Ian Wright, and your rehashed titanic quote, which he probably still laughs at today)

Marc Overmars
28-03-2013, 03:59 PM
ennui

Never heard of that word before tbh.

Letters
28-03-2013, 04:24 PM
French :bow:

Niall_Quinn
28-03-2013, 04:27 PM
Waiting for Ollie's post tbh. If anyone can find a good angle he'll find it. But so far I can't help getting the feeling everyone is less than ecstatic at the state of modern football? If we get 30-40 people responding here then why not batch the whole lot up and send it to the club? Okay, so not the club because they'll have an auto-delete procedure in place and they'll probably charge us handling fees. Send it to Wilshere maybe or how about Wright because that way Letters could be humiliated all over again! It could go viral. Letters could be the laughing stock of all footballdom (not a made up word). In fact fuck football, for me this is now all about Letters and his infamous quote.

Letters
28-03-2013, 04:31 PM
<_<

LDG
28-03-2013, 04:32 PM
Waiting for Ollie's post tbh. If anyone can find a good angle he'll find it. But so far I can't help getting the feeling everyone is less than ecstatic at the state of modern football? If we get 30-40 people responding here then why not batch the whole lot up and send it to the club? Okay, so not the club because they'll have an auto-delete procedure in place and they'll probably charge us handling fees. Send it to Wilshere maybe or how about Wright because that way Letters could be humiliated all over again! It could go viral. Letters could be the laughing stock of all footballdom (not a made up word). In fact fuck football, for me this is now all about Letters and his infamous quote.

:haha:

Niall_Quinn
28-03-2013, 04:33 PM
<_<

Yes I know, 30-40 people responding. I got carried away.

Cripps_orig
28-03-2013, 04:37 PM
You seem to have mistaken good for deluded.

Football is at its lowest ebb and I can't see how it will improve. Both on and off the pitch it's as boring as fuck. When you have the likes of Stoke, Blackburn being praised for the way they play football and then Barca for boring the fuck out of us but being considered the best around is laughable.

Spain are arguably the most boring world champions of all time.

Entertainment from the game is gone. Sure once in a while we might get a game that might be a decent watch but that's the exception.

Letters
28-03-2013, 04:39 PM
Even Cripps' WUMming is suffering :rose:

Cripps_orig
28-03-2013, 04:43 PM
Tbf that wasn't wumming. On the pitch football is boring. Bar Real Madrid, are there any entertaining sides around?

Off the pitch, well you know how it is

LDG
28-03-2013, 04:47 PM
You seem to have mistaken good for deluded.

Football is at its lowest ebb and I can't see how it will improve. Both on and off the pitch it's as boring as fuck. When you have the likes of Stoke, Blackburn being praised for the way they play football and then Barca for boring the fuck out of us but being considered the best around is laughable.

Spain are arguably the most boring world champions of all time.

Entertainment from the game is gone. Sure once in a while we might get a game that might be a decent watch but that's the exception.

I agree with that. Pace and power, under control, on the floor (to a certain extent) and the ability to do something outrageous, are what makes football exciting.

Passing the thing to death while the other teams sits in two banks of five is boring as fuck.

Cripps_orig
28-03-2013, 04:56 PM
One of the best games ive seen was the cup semi replay back in 1999. We lost it but both teams just went all out to attack and win the game.

This must not lose mentality in football is killing the game. Rather than it being must wins, they set out their teams to not lose. Players like Milner who offer nothing picked over more attack minded players is a joke.

Gooner23
28-03-2013, 05:07 PM
Still love football (and Arsenal I guess), but don't really care about the Prem or Internationals anymore.

Heavily involved with grass roots, so get my fix from that. Get far more enjoyment when my own club wins games, than I do from Arsenal wins. Also go and watch Woking whenever I can in the conference. Absolute dog-shit standard, but strangely enjoyable.

Biggest problem for me is the cost of going to the Emirates.

IBK
28-03-2013, 07:47 PM
I agree with that. Pace and power, under control, on the floor (to a certain extent) and the ability to do something outrageous, are what makes football exciting.

[B]Passing the thing to death while the other teams sits in two banks of five is boring as fuck.]

Wenger lost his bottle years ago tactics wise. The future is with young brave coaches. Look at Montenegro the other night for example.

Xhaka Can’t
28-03-2013, 07:48 PM
]

Wenger lost his bottle years ago tactics wise. The future is with young brave coaches. Look at Montenegro the other night for example.

Woy is pretty old tbh.

IBK
28-03-2013, 07:59 PM
Woy is pretty old tbh.

Ay, but Brnovic - who made a fool of him - is 45? Stimac 45; AVB 35 - even the Daddy Mourinho is what, 50?

Ferguson's genius is keeping inventive, and he does it by appointing the likes of the above. Woy and Wenger are outdated, because they do not.

Master Splinter
29-03-2013, 11:44 AM
What did Letters do when he met Ian Wright?!?

Maestro
29-03-2013, 11:54 AM

Spunked himself speechless ...and then finally uttered "you're king of the world, you are!" :bow:

..then he just uncontrollably went off on a patrice :patrice:

Letters
29-03-2013, 12:06 PM
Me :bow:

LDG
29-03-2013, 12:55 PM

Accidentally nutted his testicles as he ran through his legs.

KSE Comedy Club
30-03-2013, 09:37 AM

Stopped being a man :coffee:

Niall_Quinn
30-03-2013, 11:00 AM
Letters has ruined this thread with his fan boy ways.

Syn
30-03-2013, 12:19 PM
Just read the whole thread. It seems we're all pretty much on the same page. In summary, Letters :haha:

GP
30-03-2013, 12:51 PM
Yes, eat ALL of our shirts.

fakeyank
30-03-2013, 04:56 PM
Accidentally nutted his testicles as he ran through his legs.

I spilled my drink reading this!! :haha:

Niall_Quinn
30-03-2013, 05:11 PM

I spilled my load reading this!! :haha:

:sick:

hobson's choice
03-04-2013, 03:59 AM
I don't care that much these days, simply because the quality of the game, is just low across the world of football, no matter the league.

Football has always be kinda predictable, just like everything else in general life. But I watch for the entertainment, and i'm just not entertained by the game at the moment. I see very highly functional players, but nothing great, or spectacular. Just a bunch mehs, and hehs.

She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
03-04-2013, 08:51 AM
cant help but feel the reason why we're all so disillusioned with football is because our club is down in the dumps. do man utd fans complain about modern day football? or city? or chelsea? if we were winning trophies and still at the top then i think we'd be far more happy about the state of 'modern' football.

Globalgunner
03-04-2013, 09:33 AM
We are depressed as Arsenal fans. the real cause of depression is the lack of hope. the sure fire knowledge that next year is going to be exactly like this year as it was the last year and the last 6 years. What kills the human spirit more than anything, is the absence of hope.

Another thing that makes me hate football now is seeing a distinctly average Man United who could be schooled in football by a middling team like Espanyol or Sevilla. Practically walk to the title with no effort at all. They will probably win 7 of the remaining 9 games and take the title with a record points haul. I just cant wait for Mourinho to rock up back at Chelsea. He will certainly be the one to finally send SAF into retirement. Odious little twat that he is (Mourinho ).

On a positive note however the CL is back....tasty football, better than anything else served up on the planet. Now that United is out of it I can sit back and enjoy.

She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
03-04-2013, 10:07 AM
missing out on the champions league will be the final nail in the coffin. those mouth watering ties even though we have no hope of winning them.

the transition from top elite to mediocre bum boys will be complete.

Letters
03-04-2013, 12:17 PM
cant help but feel the reason why we're all so disillusioned with football is because our club is down in the dumps. do man utd fans complain about modern day football? or city? or chelsea? if we were winning trophies and still at the top then i think we'd be far more happy about the state of 'modern' football.
It's a factor but certainly not the only one. Lots of other changes in the game have made it a lot worse as a sport.

Niall_Quinn
03-04-2013, 12:36 PM

Agreed in one respect, we were spoiled watching players like Bergkamp, Pires, Henry, Wright and we were spoiled by the superb, powerful and direct style of play. Today, it's boring shit. Not just us. That Utd Chav game was depressing. "Superstars" who can't pass a ball 5 yards.

Cripps_orig
03-04-2013, 12:43 PM

I used to watch all kinds of football. La Liga, Serie A, Super Sundays, Monday night football, Saturday lunch time, CL football regardless of who played but now I only watch if Arsenal play and even that is nowhere near as much as I used to. For example, the recent NLD humiliation was the first NLD I watched since they beat us 3-2 at the Emirates coming from 2 down. Didn't watch any of the 5-2 matches.

Football is dying as a whole, not just Arsenal wise.

When we have scum like Barca being lauded as the best around and Stoke football being praised, you can see what's wrong

Özim
03-04-2013, 02:58 PM
For me this is a big part, I personally think our football is as dull as dishwater, I don't really particularly like most of our players, everything is too predictable and we have a manager that basically will never change.

Sure football has changed, but if we were an exciting team with quality players and more unpredictable I'd be much more likely to watch.

Power n Glory
03-04-2013, 04:24 PM
It seems like the quality is going down but the hype is at an all-time high. You know the quality is falling short when the Brazil team are struggling. They used to be dripping with talent but now there isn’t even one big star taking the world by storm. I miss that about the game. Because we have these super teams are steroids you rarely see an individual that’s really having to play out of his skin. Too many teams and leagues have nose-dived. The Italian league has fallen off, the Dutch league is terrible, Germany has only just started to make a come back….it’s not what it used to be. There used to be a host of stars scattered around the world but that just isn’t the case anymore.

Niall_Quinn
03-04-2013, 05:12 PM
The hype is an important factor in the decline of the game. It gets tired. Watching so-called super stars being very, very ordinary. Dull.

Tipsychubbs
07-04-2013, 01:47 PM
I lost interest a long time ago too in finishing 4th, but its now become one of simple practicality, thats all there is too it:

1) We need to pay off the stadium debt asap - CL footie increases the revenue

2) We need to keep Jack Wilshere for as long as possible - CL footie should be the bare minimum for a player like him

3) We need to attract good players - CL footie retains some attraction

4) We need to lay a foundation for the next manager - so he can have something to work with

So debt, Wilshere, attraction, foundation. DWAF. Thats where we are after almost a decade of no progress, bar 2 finals and the odd rare title challenge unfortunately, just trying to stop it from becoming worse rather than moving forward at the moment.

The football holds little interest while we are in this long-term state, because in reality we all seem to be in a long term wait for the next manager. AW has basically become the caretaker manager for now, keeping things ticking along before we can move to the next level again.

Theres no guarantee that a new manager will be successful, but its hard to deny that a change/refresh, some new ideas in terms of tactics, motivation, defensive organisation all over the pitch has been needed for some time. I don't know how many more times I can take seeing oppo players sprinting though our middle or having acres of space to dribble/pick out passes with no one closing them down as a team, covering spaces and working together to press. Remember Wilshere at Chelsea closing down with his arms wide asking for help, and no one could be bothered? Remember Rooney sprinting through the middle and Denilson casually jogging back? Its been happening for years and its still happening. It happened yesterday as well against West Brom.

As awful as it is to admit it, and even though he has lucked out on Bale who has won many games on his own this season, its the difference between Redknapp and AVB, who seems to have learnt his lesson from the arrogance and trying to change things too quickly, upsetting the old boys club at Chelsea (although they have their share of the blame as well).

Gallas admitted in an interview that Redknapp was very attack minded, and AVB was more tactical, studying the opponents more closely and reflecting it on the training pitch. It seems to be working for now at least, thats the type of change I'm talking about.

She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
07-04-2013, 02:39 PM
where are we? nowhere. a big shiny stadium with fuck all to show for it.

this is not the club i grew up loving.

Joker
07-04-2013, 03:06 PM
Yeah I don't think people should be criticised when they say they can't get excited about us finishing 4th. Yes, getting one over Tottenham does mean something, but in the wider scheme of things it just highlights how far we have fallen that all we have to look forward to every season is St Totteringham's Day. The football on display has been distinctly mediocre as well, while in the past, even though we made horrendous cock-ups defensively and faded as the season reached its climax, there was still some outstanding football to look forward too (07-08 and 09-10 are the best examples). This season, we are predictably out of all cup competitions before April but also our football is pretty boring as well. Watching us resorting to hoof the ball forward against WBA was painful. I know we had 10 men, but Arsenal teams of 8 years ago would show much more composure, but I guess this is what happens when you sell of all the players with winning mentalities.