PDA

View Full Version : Will We Finish Top 4

Letters
15-04-2013, 12:35 PM
I've posted this poll a few times this season with varying results.
We're on a good run and have somehow barged our way into the top 4...but can we stay there?

Two big games coming up this week. Everton is going to be tough tomorrow, we don't have a good record vs Fulham.
On Sunday Spurs have City where they might drop points, they still have to play away at Chelsea.
We have Utd at home and last day of the season it's Newcastle away which isn't a gimme.

I was going to put a "meh" option in but I don't think you can be ambivalent about this. Whatever you feel about whether we qualify for the CL, finishing top 4 probably means finishing above Spurs. I don't see how any Arsenal fan can be indifferent about that.

I'm saying yes although I'm nervous we'll cock it up.

selassie
15-04-2013, 12:41 PM
I voted yes.

On current form we are more than capable of finishing 3rd IMHO. Saying that our next three games will go a long way to defining our fate. If we can get 5 out of the next 9, I.E. Win tomorrow against Everton, Draws against Fulham and United then I think we'll be set for Top 4, if we get 7 points...then 3rd will be in our hands.

I am worried about the next 2 games, especially tomorrow, I think they are going to cause us a lot of problems. Saying that if we play well we should win. Fulham away will be very difficult, honestly...I can't see us coming away from there with more than a point.

All of the teams below us (Chelsea, Spurs & Everton) will most definitely drop points...so finishing top 4 is all about consistency from now on.

Kano
15-04-2013, 12:42 PM
been very sure all season that we wouldn't - even after we were slapped down 8-1 at old trafford i knew we'd get top four, so it's a first for me.

now? not sure. didn't expect us to pull out this sort of form seeing as hadn't all season.

i'll hold my judgement until after the fulham game.

GP
15-04-2013, 12:42 PM
I've always thought we would, and that was before he his this nice patch of form.

I think we'll finish 3rd.

Marc Overmars
15-04-2013, 12:46 PM
It's looking more likely now than it was 6 weeks ago and we're arguably the favourites as well, so yeah I reckon we'll do it but there are still some tricky games to get through.

Whatever happens this has been another bitterly disappointing season.

Özim
15-04-2013, 12:46 PM
Yes we will, we always seem to get it, we usually win a few games and also get a helping hand from God at times.

Letters
15-04-2013, 12:47 PM
I've always thought we would, and that was before he his this nice patch of form.

I think we'll finish 3rd.
I've been changing my mind all season. I expected us to lose at WHL but really thought we needed to get a point there to have much chance of finishing above the Spuds. Now it's suddenly back in our hands again and we have the easier run-in.

Think we'll do it but Arsenal's capacity to cock things up is pretty big; happily it's only exceeded by Spurs' capacity to cock things up.

Özim
15-04-2013, 12:48 PM
didn't expect us to pull out this sort of form seeing as hadn't all season.
Why is this mini run of games a surprise to you? We've regularly gone on good mini runs at the end of the season when all possibilities of winning trophies are gone.

Letters
15-04-2013, 12:54 PM
Why is this mini run of games a surprise to you? We've regularly gone on good mini runs at the end of the season when all possibilities of winning trophies are gone.
It's almost as if only having league games to focus on and not playing twice a week all the time helps.

We do tend to rally at this stage of the season although I'm surprised at how good the run has been. It won't continue forever, we'll inevitably drop some points soon, but Spurs will be dropping points too. It's going to be close.

Özim
15-04-2013, 12:58 PM
It's almost as if only having league games to focus on and not playing twice a week all the time helps.

We do tend to rally at this stage of the season although I'm surprised at how good the run has been. It won't continue forever, we'll inevitably drop some points soon, but Spurs will be dropping points too. It's going to be close.
The fact we only have one thing to focus on seems to help for sure, but the lack of pressure to win trophies seems to be a big thing.

We'll drop points, but Chelsea have a horrendous run in I believe although Spurs is easier than ours they are horribly out of form now.

Kano
15-04-2013, 12:58 PM
because as i said, for the first time i didn't see us finishing top four this season and didn't see us rallying at all. based on how we fell apart at the end of last season and with no RVC, i didn't see how it was possible.

Letters
15-04-2013, 12:59 PM
The fact we only have one thing to focus on seems to help for sure, but the lack of pressure to win trophies seems to be a big thing.

We'll drop points, but Chelsea have a horrendous run in I believe although Spurs is easier than ours they are horribly out of form now.
Do you not think there was any pressure on Saturday?

Özim
15-04-2013, 01:00 PM
because as i said, for the first time i didn't see us finishing top four this season and didn't see us rallying at all. based on how we fell apart at the end of last season and with no RVC, i didn't see how it was possible.
Fair enough, I never doubted that we could put together a run at the end of the season, there's no trophies to play for and because I've seen it many times before it's no real surprise.

Özim
15-04-2013, 01:02 PM
Do you not think there was any pressure on Saturday?
I'm not really sure to be honest, we were expected to beat Norwich but that goes for most of the smaller sides and we generally do, I guess you can call that pressure of sorts?

I don't know how much pressure there is on us finishing 4th when most people had written us off a couple months back, it's almost like a bonus if we do.

Letters
15-04-2013, 01:05 PM
I'm not really sure to be honest, we were expected to beat Norwich but that goes for most of the smaller sides and we generally do, I guess you can call that pressure of sorts?

I don't know how much pressure there is on us finishing 4th when most people had written us off a couple months back, it's almost like a bonus if we do.
Yeah, but it was a game we needed to win to leapfrog Spurs. As I said in the reaction thread I'd bet my bottom dollar that had we slipped up there would have been loads of posts saying we'd bottled it. It is a different kind of pressure to the sort when you're going for a trophy though.

LDG
15-04-2013, 01:06 PM
Fair enough, I never doubted that we could put together a run at the end of the season, there's no trophies to play for and because I've seen it many times before it's no real surprise.

But then you'd say that it was no real suprise if we collapsed as well.

So all in all, you wouldn't be suprised at all.

In other words, whatever suits, to make any achievement non-creditworthy, and any failure justification of your hatred for the manager.

:good:

LDG
15-04-2013, 01:09 PM
I'm always fearful we have a rotten few results in us, so I can't say whether we will or not.

We're going to have to rely heavily on other teams dropping points too, as I don't think we're capable of cementing it before the last day.

Reason? We don't have a world class stiker.

Can't vote yes, and I can't vote no.

Gonna sit on the fence :good:

Kano
15-04-2013, 01:11 PM
But then you'd say that it was no real suprise if we collapsed as well.

So all in all, you wouldn't be suprised at all.

In other words, whatever suits, to make any achievement non-creditworthy, and any failure justification of your hatred for the manager.

:good:
let's be fair though. everyone does think wenger is a little bit **** every now and then. just little. go on, be honest. WUMger gets to us all in the end.

Özil's Panoramic View
15-04-2013, 01:13 PM
Yes.

LDG
15-04-2013, 01:15 PM
let's be fair though. everyone does think wenger is a little bit **** every now and then. just little. go on, be honest. WUMger gets to us all in the end.

Most definitely. He enrages me, and no more so than this season.

McNamara That Ghost...
15-04-2013, 01:34 PM
Little bit yes. Probably third tbf.

Marc Overmars
15-04-2013, 02:30 PM
Having looked at Chelsea's run-in, I have to say they'll do very well to finish in the top 4 now. They play Fulham, Liverpool and United all away, and also have Spurs at home amongst that.

Spurs are worth keeping an eye on for the time being though, they're capable of raising their game at home and beating City.

Tomorrow is a huge game really. Lets hope we can get the points and consolidate our position so we don't need to worry about what happens elsewhere.

Grebbo
15-04-2013, 02:34 PM
One defeat and this fragile bunch of fucks could plummet.

We should get top 4 now but I think it'll go down to final day. If we get to the final day with it in our own hands then that's about all you can ask for.

Everton will be difficult. The fact that they need a win might help us because usually they don't play at all at our place and just hope for a draw. Their tactics will be to play for a 0-0 until the 85th minute and then they'll go for it.

Fulham have Chavs in midweek and a small squad but are always a difficult team to play away from home.

QPR should be relegated by the time we play them - I'm not sure if that makes them easier or not?

We'll lose to Man U.

Wigan will have just lost the cup final and we'll be playing them a few days after so they should be fucked.

Newcastle away is never easy. You'd want to have 4th secured by then ideally.

Chelsea have the hardest fixtures on paper. Ours look slightly kinder than Spurs'.

If we win our next two games we'll put serious pressure on Chavs and Spuds that's for sure.

Grebbo
15-04-2013, 02:40 PM
Reason? We don't have a world class stiker.

Can't vote yes, and I can't vote no.

Gonna sit on the fence :good:

Neither do Spurs or Chelsea though. Only the top two teams have world class strikers and that's why they're the top two and the rest of us are fannying around for 3rd/4th place.

I can't bring myself to vote 'yes' either as I don't want to jinx it!

One thing I am confident about though is if Bale doesn't come back with all guns blazing then they're out of it.

Master Splinter
15-04-2013, 03:00 PM
We didn't have a world-class striker when we had an awlful run of form at the end of last season either.

RVP had already transformed into RVC and his mind was solely on hugging Fergie in the dugout.

Despite their heavy defeat tomorrow, I hope Neverton recover from the trauma and get the other CL place along with us. Would be awlsome.

Cripps_orig
15-04-2013, 03:13 PM
Yes

Still a shocking season

selassie
15-04-2013, 05:28 PM
It's looking more likely now than it was 6 weeks ago and we're arguably the favourites as well, so yeah I reckon we'll do it but there are still some tricky games to get through.

Whatever happens this has been another bitterly disappointing season.

Yep, what kind of worries me if we do finish 3rd or 4th is the spin Wenger will come out with about this season being a success which probably translates to him feeling no need to strengthen the squad.

This season has been a disaster irrespective of whether we finish 3rd or 5th and MAJOR changes are needed in the summer IMHO.

GP
15-04-2013, 05:30 PM
Yep, what kind of worries me if we do finish 3rd or 4th is the spin Wenger will come out with about this season being a success which probably translates to him feeling no need to strengthen the squad.

This season has been a disaster irrespective of whether we finish 3rd or 5th and MAJOR changes are needed in the summer IMHO.

Wenger does not consider 4th place a success.

selassie
15-04-2013, 05:40 PM
Wenger does not consider 4th place a success.

GP, are you for real? Over the past few years I get the impression Wenger talks as if PL starts outside of the Big 3 because they are at an advantage due to the "financial doping" blah blah

What is clear is the team isn't and hasn't moved forward for a good few years now and the only way for us to improve is to spend and spend wisely. I'm not talking about "hollywood" signings, but a couple of 15-20million pound signings on established quality in the right positions is the bare minimum. For me, the first team needs upgrading in 3 positions, GK, Central Midfield and Striker.

Xhaka Can’t
15-04-2013, 05:48 PM
Of our remaining games, there is only one prediction I'd bet the mortgage on - losing against United. The rest I wouldn;t touch with a bargepole.

That said, I beleive we will finish 3rd. And like TT, I never would have had us finishing there at any point in the season until now.

GP
15-04-2013, 05:52 PM
GP, are you for real?

Yep, it's pretty naive to take what he says at face value.

Cripps_orig
15-04-2013, 06:14 PM

This season has been a disaster irrespective of whether we finish 3rd or 5th and MAJOR changes are needed in the summer IMHO.basically the same shit that's happened for years then

Özil's Panoramic View
15-04-2013, 10:30 PM
I've maintained that we'll finish top 4 and, more importantly, ahead of the pondscum from as far back as....I can't even remember when exactly.

Honestly though, if the pondscum weren't in contention and didn't stand a chance of toppling us, I wouldn't have given a two shits finishing out of a CL spot really.

Bloody hell unfathomable it is those swamp dwellers crawling out of our shadow.

Injury Time
15-04-2013, 10:48 PM
No. Everton will mash us tomorrow, draw at best v Fulham, tail spin into 5th.

She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
15-04-2013, 11:36 PM
course we will, then we can sit here and talk about exactly the same topic next year.

fakeyank
16-04-2013, 05:56 AM
No, we will be 5th

Japan Shaking All Over
16-04-2013, 10:12 AM
I say yes but only because I have had my brain transplanted with seeds of optimism

We have Everton and UTD to play but the others could beat each other when they play. . .actually Everton are very much the key and they could do themselves a favour if they pick up decent ponts when they play everyone above them.

I agre with LDG that Wenger has enraged is all this season and it started with the business end last summer. . .

He reallu needs to bring in quality in every department STR, DM, CB GK so,that the squad adds depty. Then maybe he could redeem himself. . .because the fans need to be brought back, thee are empty seats all over the place

He, the club have made te liks of Cesc Rvp Nasbo happy, time to give back to the fans

The Emirates Gallactico
16-04-2013, 10:22 AM
We should finish in the top four but never underestimate our ability to fuck things up and bottle it when the going gets tough. Nearly happen against Norwich, nearly happened last year after we overtook Spurs only to nearly throw it away over the last few games and we've seen it plenty of times when we've been top of the league.

Thankfully Spurs seem to be worse than us at this.

Xhaka Can’t
16-04-2013, 11:01 AM
I've always thought this squad lacks depty.

I'm just glad someone else had the balls to say it.

Lord Nelson
16-04-2013, 03:17 PM
I've been changing my mind all season. I expected us to lose at WHL but really thought we needed to get a point there to have much chance of finishing above the Spuds. Now it's suddenly back in our hands again and we have the easier run-in.

Think we'll do it but Arsenal's capacity to cock things up is pretty big; happily it's only exceeded by Spurs' capacity to cock things up.

Easier Run in!!??

V Everton : Tough game 1-1

V Fulham : When was the last time we won there? 0-0

V Man Utd : 1-3 (No chance)

V QPR : (Harry would love to do the Spuds a favour whether they are already down or not) 2-2

V Wigan : 2-0

V Newcastle : (Fighting for their lives) It could be anything really! 3-3

It will be touch and go until the last day of the season TBH.

Xhaka Can’t
16-04-2013, 03:23 PM
I can't see how our current form can be extrapolated to that set if results.

You can't simply comment on our teams run in without considering other run ins to assess ease or otherwise.

An element that makes our run in easier is that at least one of our closest rivals has a 100% chance of dropping points as Spurs and Chelsea are playing each other.

She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
16-04-2013, 06:27 PM
I can't see how our current form can be extrapolated to that set if results.

You can't simply comment on our teams run in without considering other run ins to assess ease or otherwise.

An element that makes our run in easier is that at least one of our closest rivals has a 100% chance of dropping points as Spurs and Chelsea are playing each other.

actually 66.6% chance :coffee:

Xhaka Can’t
16-04-2013, 06:39 PM
actually 66.6% chance :coffee:

Bad wording - was posting on my phone. There is a 100% chance that at least one of our closest rivals will drop points when they face each other.

Lord Nelson
16-04-2013, 09:32 PM
Easier Run in!!??

V Everton : Tough game 1-1

V Fulham : When was the last time we won there? 0-0

V Man Utd : 1-3 (No chance)

V QPR : (Harry would love to do the Spuds a favour whether they are already down or not) 2-2

V Wigan : 2-0

V Newcastle : (Fighting for their lives) It could be anything really! 3-3

It will be touch and go until the last day of the season TBH.

Good start to my predictions (technically) :)

Marc Overmars
16-04-2013, 09:45 PM
If we don't beat Fulham that United game is going to be very :sick:.

selassie
17-04-2013, 08:51 AM
If we don't beat Fulham that United game is going to be very :sick:.

I personally think the United game is a write-off, I don't expect us to get anything out of that game. Fulham away is going to be tricky, be surprised if we get more than a point.

Letters
17-04-2013, 09:19 AM
We don't have a good record at Fulham :(
Utd I expect us to lose and them to clinch the title at our place. RvP to score, obviously.

:ilt:

The saving grace is Spurs have City and Chelsea to play and just generally tends to shit themselves (sometimes literally) when it looks like they might finish ahead of us.

Dennis Bendtner
17-04-2013, 09:31 AM
3 wins and a draw are needed I would say. Don't look at games as 'should win' or 'probably won't win' etc, it never goes fully to the script. Two of the 'easier' fixtures remaining - QPR and Wigan - we lost both right around this time last season. In fact, of our remaining fixtures, we didn't win any of the equivalents last season. But yeah, fuck doom and gloom. Just find 3 wins and a draw and take us to 70 points.

IBK
17-04-2013, 07:26 PM
Still feel we'll make 4th.

fakeyank
17-04-2013, 09:58 PM
We will be 5th

She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
17-04-2013, 10:31 PM
we'll make 6th

Özil's Panoramic View
18-04-2013, 01:40 AM
Still have absolutely no doubt that we'll be 4th.

This as the scum are a bunch of dogshit bottlers who know they are our inferiors.

Fuck those swamp dwelling, pond scum bastards.

Letters
18-04-2013, 08:18 AM
Still have absolutely no doubt that we'll be 4th.

This as the scum are a bunch of dogshit bottlers who know they are our inferiors.

Fuck those swamp dwelling, pond scum bastards.
Don't hold back, will you? :lol:

Gooner23
18-04-2013, 08:41 AM
I think we'll sneak 3rd or 4th somehow.

Chelsea's run-in looks horrid, they got Liverpool away, United away, Spurs and Everton at home.

Spuds aint much easier, City and Chelsea, plus Wigan, Sunderland and Stoke who will all be fighting for their lives.

selassie
18-04-2013, 11:11 AM
Was very surprised Chelsea didn't drop points last night, 3 win at Fulham is very impressive IMHO. The pressure is back on us now, we really cannot afford anymore dropped points, we have to win on Saturday, simple as that.

Kano
18-04-2013, 11:13 AM
Was very surprised Chelsea didn't drop points last night, 3 win at Fulham is very impressive IMHO. The pressure is back on us now, we really cannot afford anymore dropped points, we have to win on Saturday, simple as that.
we'll drop more points, as will everyone else involved in this hunt. the key will be when that happens. that's why i wasn't upset at the everton result. dropped points were due sooner rather than later.

McNamara That Ghost...
20-04-2013, 04:34 PM
Realistically seven more points needed I would say. Of course that might be different if Chelsea and Tottenham both lose tomorrow.

McNamara That Ghost...
20-04-2013, 05:28 PM
Good start to my predictions (technically) :)

:lol:

Xhaka Can’t
20-04-2013, 07:48 PM
I've decided that all I want to do is finish ahead of Spurs. That it likely means we finish in the top 4 is incidental.

I couldn't give a fuck about finishing in the top 4.

Munchies
20-04-2013, 07:54 PM
Just find it sad that we're all content with finishing above those twats now ... I would be too.

Hope we improve this team over the summer, otherwise whats the point of getting 4th each year?

Marc Overmars
20-04-2013, 07:57 PM
I even hate the phrase "top 4" and the connotations that come with it.

Reward and acclaim for not being good enough.

GP
20-04-2013, 08:17 PM
Just find it sad that we're all content with finishing above those twats now ... I would be too.

Hope we improve this team over the summer, otherwise whats the point of getting 4th each year?

I don't think anyone's content with it, it's just a bare minimum.

And anyone who says they don't care about playing in the Champions League is lying.

Özil's Panoramic View
20-04-2013, 08:21 PM
Bit harsh calling Zimm a mendacious little twat.

Xhaka Can’t
20-04-2013, 08:37 PM

And anyone who says they don't care about playing in the Champions League is lying.

I care about it, but not enough to put up with more of this crap.

Static
20-04-2013, 08:56 PM
We'll finish top 4 IMO. We're in a sticky spot either way as not being in the top 4 means we'll attract lesser calibre of players and actually getting top 4 may cause Arsene to not buy at all.

First world problems.

Kano
20-04-2013, 11:16 PM

hand on heart, the only reason i would like to see us remain in the champs league is to avoid having to deal with office 'bantz' from united, chelsea and spurs ****s having a dig. completely selfish. when it comes to my club, i've lost that desire for last 16 exits.

anyway, i said i'd hold my judgement until after the last two games and with 5 points on spurs who have city and chelsea as their games in hand, i think we'll do it. first time i've believed in it this season. unbelievable we've pulled out this sort of form now.

it kicks even more that these guys can't get their act together earlier in the season to do this. although i think the jack/santi combo is a big contributor to us not working as a team.

Niall_Quinn
20-04-2013, 11:26 PM
Yeah, we'll crawl over the line having done the absolute bare minimum.

cheesy bites
21-04-2013, 02:10 PM
No.

Özil's Panoramic View
21-04-2013, 02:25 PM
Top 4. :wave:

GP
21-04-2013, 02:25 PM
Top 4. :wave:

Indeed, hello Top 4 :wave:

Kano
21-04-2013, 02:34 PM
the internet is a very funny place.

cheesy bites
21-04-2013, 02:34 PM
Indeed, hello Top 4 :wave:
...didn't see today's result I gather?

GP
21-04-2013, 02:36 PM
...didn't see today's result I gather?

Yes, but I'm not going to wet the bed over it.

Özim
21-04-2013, 02:37 PM
Today's result is a disaster for us, Chelsea have 2 matches in hand and are only 2 points behind us and we also have Man U to play.

Now sure they might have nothing to play for (I hope they do), but I still can't see us beating them.

Master Splinter
21-04-2013, 02:37 PM
Spurs won?

Time to stab myself.

Wenger has ruined my life.

Again.

Kano
21-04-2013, 02:40 PM
http://smileys.emoticonsonly.com/emoticons/p/pulling_your_hair_out-875.gif

Joker
21-04-2013, 02:41 PM
Still think we'll somehow get into 4th place again. Although there will be some satisfaction in finishing about Spurs, it's sad that that's the only thing we have to look forward to season after season. I know some people will say qualification for the Champions League is very important etc, but given how we never really look like getting into the later stages and how the revenue we get from qualification seems to sit in the bank rather than being reinvested in the team, I don't particularly care about it.

Marc Overmars
21-04-2013, 02:47 PM
I think the remaining fixtures still keeps us as favourites. We could do with not bending over for United though.

Shaqiri Is Boss
21-04-2013, 02:48 PM
Spurs won?

Time to stab myself.

Wenger has ruined my life.

Again.

Bloody Thatcher.

Özim
21-04-2013, 02:51 PM
I think the remaining fixtures still keeps us as favourites. We could do with not bending over for United though.
Probably, though maybe not over Spurs...Chelsea are perhaps most vulnerable now. The United game is more important now though because a poor result in that on and Chelsea have an even greater margin for error.

Xhaka Can’t
21-04-2013, 03:15 PM
Today's result is a disaster for us, Chelsea have 2 matches in hand and are only 2 points behind us and we also have Man U to play.

Now sure they might have nothing to play for (I hope they do), but I still can't see us beating them.

How so?

You don't watch, you don't care about making up the numbers in the CL and dont seem fussed about finishing above Spurs.

So how exactly was it a disaster for 'us'?

Xhaka Can’t
21-04-2013, 03:16 PM
Yes, but I'm not going to wet the bed over it.

You really should get yourself a bed.

GP
21-04-2013, 03:19 PM
You really should get yourself a bed.

LIDL don't sell them.

Xhaka Can’t
21-04-2013, 03:24 PM
LIDL don't sell them.

http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/twin-air-bed-set-19-99-lidl-1424727

GP
21-04-2013, 03:25 PM
That deal is expired.

Xhaka Can’t
21-04-2013, 03:30 PM
You're hard work mate.

http://www.lidl-ni.co.uk/cps/rde/xchg/lidl_ni_ie/hs.xsl/offerdate.htm?offerdate=27818

Niall_Quinn
21-04-2013, 04:10 PM
When we needed to get a result against the gypos - LOST 2-0
When we needed to get a result against the chavs - LOST 2-1
When we needed to get a results against the scum - LOST 2-1
When we needed to get a result against the toffees - DREW 0-0

1 points from 12 in the big games at the business end of the season. Our team has no bottle and the board has sold the bottle bank. We don't deserve a CL spot because we're easily the worst team in the top 5. The gutless loss of points at home against Everton was a scandal. Some have said it was a good result, I don't see it. It was a vital match we absolutely had to get 3 points from. We failed, just as we have failed in every single big game over the last few seasons.

Next week we rely entirely on Utd not turning up because there's nothing in our team that can produce a result on our own merit. Plus Wenger will field a shit team and leave that team on the pitch for 68 minutes. For a brief moment we had our fate in our own hands. That was a huge disadvantage because we never perform when that's the case. Even yesterday when Fulham went down to ten you could see the performance drop. What an awful team we have here, the worst in decades.

But I still think we'll somehow fluke 4th. One of our opponents will screw up and we'll stumble over the line by default. I say this because the only thing we could get from such a dreadful non-event of a season would be realisation from the vampires that run the club that at least a little investment is required. Finish 4th and they'll have an excuse to ignore the fact. And we'll end up with nothing except anticipation of a pointless re-run in 2013/14.

Maestro
21-04-2013, 05:02 PM

1 points from 12 in the big games at the business end of the season. Our team has no bottle and the board has sold the bottle bank. We don't deserve a CL spot because we're easily the worst team in the top 5. The gutless loss of points at home against Everton was a scandal. Some have said it was a good result, I don't see it. It was a vital match we absolutely had to get 3 points from. We failed, just as we have failed in every single big game over the last few seasons.

Next week we rely entirely on Utd not turning up because there's nothing in our team that can produce a result on our own merit. Plus Wenger will field a shit team and leave that team on the pitch for 68 minutes. For a brief moment we had our fate in our own hands. That was a huge disadvantage because we never perform when that's the case. Even yesterday when Fulham went down to ten you could see the performance drop. What an awful team we have here, the worst in decades.

But I still think we'll somehow fluke 4th. One of our opponents will screw up and we'll stumble over the line by default. I say this because the only thing we could get from such a dreadful non-event of a season would be realisation from the vampires that run the club that at least a little investment is required. Finish 4th and they'll have an excuse to ignore the fact. And we'll end up with nothing except anticipation of a pointless re-run in 2013/14.

Agree wholeheartedly with everything you say here NQ. It's all a real mess now at the club, all of our own making. Maybe Kroenke, Gazdick, Wenger & the players deserve this but surely not the fans.

Either way can't see anything changing, top 4 or not.

selassie
21-04-2013, 05:22 PM
It's going to go down to the last game of the season IMHO. All 3 of us (Chavs, Spuds & us) will be involved.

Worryingly I don't think we can afford to lose anymore games, I think the absolute bare minimum we need is 7 points and that will be touch and go. Ideally we should be looking at 10 out of the remaining 12 points available.

Marc Overmars
21-04-2013, 05:28 PM
We'll probably be in 5th by the time we face United, but at least if we lose that, we know that 6 points from QPR and Wigan (which shouldn't be a huge ask realistically) will put us where we need to be going in to the final day.

It's in our hands, just.

Özim
21-04-2013, 05:37 PM
How so?

You don't watch, you don't care about making up the numbers in the CL and dont seem fussed about finishing above Spurs.

So how exactly was it a disaster for 'us'?
Us = Arsenal

Therefore that result = disaster

Although pillow biter did "us" a favour.

Why are you so concerned about it?

Özim
21-04-2013, 05:38 PM

Pretty much agree with all that.

Xhaka Can’t
21-04-2013, 05:45 PM
Us = Arsenal

Therefore that result = disaster

Although pillow biter did "us" a favour.

Why are you so concerned about it?

I just asked a question.

Took you long enough to answer and even then you had to go back and edit it a couple of minutes later.

Özil's Panoramic View
21-04-2013, 05:46 PM
We'll probably be in 5th by the time we face United, but at least if we lose that, we know that 6 points from QPR and Wigan (which shouldn't be a huge ask realistically) will put us where we need to be going in to the final day.

It's in our hands, just.

Exactly where the danger lies.

Özim
21-04-2013, 05:52 PM
I just asked a question.

Took you long enough to answer and even then you had to go back and edit it a couple of minutes later.
I was watching the post match reaction and F1 highlights.

Yeah I felt the need to point out that the Chelsea result changes things somewhat.

Cripps_orig
21-04-2013, 05:56 PM
I don't know when the spuds v chelsea match is but that's arguably our biggest game of the season and we aren't even involved.

How the mighty have fallen.

If we are in the top 4 after that match then we should finish top 4

If we aren't, Wenger needs to find new bs cos the x amount of years in the CL won't be valid next season

Niall_Quinn
21-04-2013, 06:01 PM
I don't know when the spuds v chelsea match is but that's arguably our biggest game of the season and we aren't even involved.

How the mighty have fallen.

If we are in the top 4 after that match then we should finish top 4

If we aren't, Wenger needs to find new bs cos the x amount of years in the CL won't be valid next season

Yes but 1 attempt at qualifying for the Europa league and 1 success is a 100% record. Not even you can criticise that.

Özim
21-04-2013, 06:05 PM
it's funny how things always seem to fall in place when it comes to getting 4th, the strangest events always seem to occur letting us off the hook when we seem to have blown it.

Cripps_orig
21-04-2013, 06:09 PM
Both Chelsea and Tottenham have bankers next week and with us losing to Man Utd, both will be above us with a game in hand.

It's going to be tough

McNamara That Ghost...
21-04-2013, 06:12 PM
Bankers. :lol:

No such thing in this league.

Xhaka Can’t
21-04-2013, 06:17 PM

True, but Arsenal v Man U is nearly as close as it gets rhese days.

GP
21-04-2013, 06:28 PM
True, but Arsenal v Man U is nearly as close as it gets rhese days.

Hmm, I don't think we're that nailed on to beat them.

They might scrape a draw.

McNamara That Ghost...
21-04-2013, 06:28 PM
It's only three in a row in the league against Man Utd.

It might be a must win for us which we don't have a good record against the best sides in but it's possibly a don't even need a point for Man Utd.

Letters
21-04-2013, 06:41 PM
it's funny how things always seem to fall in place when it comes to getting 4th, the strangest events always seem to occur letting us off the hook when we seem to have blown it.
Yes, it's funny how a run of P12 W9 D2 L1 has seen us in contention of a top 4 place.

GP
21-04-2013, 06:46 PM
Yes, it's funny how a run of P12 W9 D2 L1 has seen us in contention of a top 4 place.

http://mybroadband.co.za/vb/attachment.php?attachmentid=39744&d=1361266517

Letters
21-04-2013, 06:48 PM

1 points from 12 in the big games at the business end of the season.

All games are big games at the business end of the season all you've done is cherry pick some poor results. Two of those are against sides who are clearly better than us, the other two are sides who are much closer to us in ability. Spurs away was always going to be a defeat, we've not won away against a top side all season because we're not at that level any more. Everton at home was a disappointment but we played well enough and dominated most of the game, we lacked a cutting edge and a top class striker but we all knew that.

I'm fairly confident (if that's the right word) that we'll lose on Sunday vs Utd, that's not us bottling it, that's us losing to a far better side than us. In the run in we've been beating the sides we 'should' be beating, that's given us a chance.

Agree with a lot of the rest of your post but cherry picking some poor results against good sides doesn't really demonstrate your point.

Özim
21-04-2013, 06:49 PM
I wasn't just talking about this season.

Besides, by all intents and purposes we've been playing sh*t according to the match reports on here and have been "lucky" to win some games (again according to what has been posted), in fact we've been pretty sh*t all season.

The Chelsea game today is what I'm talking about though, Suarez should have been off and then scores 6 and a half minutes into injury time.....Spurs collapse on the back of the Redknapp controversy last year was another as was the food poisoning incident a few years back.

Letters
21-04-2013, 06:51 PM
You don't finish top 4 every single year by luck Zimm. You've cited some incidents where we got lucky, I'm sure it wouldn't be too hard to cherry pick some where we got bad luck. It's easy to make any point by doing that. After 38 games you are where you are. League table never lies...unless it says something you don't want to hear?

McNamara That Ghost...
21-04-2013, 06:52 PM
If we hadn't won, we wouldn't have gained two points on them.

Putting it down to pure luck is silly because that kinda means there can be no discussing or analysis about where we're going wrong - if luck is the main factor.

Spurs won 5-0 against Newcastle when the Redknapp England talk was rife and after the court case. They did a Spurs because they're Spurs.

Özim
21-04-2013, 06:55 PM
You don't finish top 4 every single year by luck Zimm. You've cited some incidents where we got lucky, I'm sure it wouldn't be too hard to cherry pick some where we got bad luck. It's easy to make any point by doing that. After 38 games you are where you are. League table never lies...unless it says something you don't want to hear?
Ok but if Chelsea win today our chances are really in the balance and yet Suarez bites a player doesn't get sent off and then wins the game 6 1/2 minutes into injury time (there were only 6 minutes and I'm not even sure where they got that from) thus bringing us right back into it.

These aren't your average match incidents to be fair.

Özim
21-04-2013, 06:57 PM
If we hadn't won, we wouldn't have gained two points on them.

Putting it down to pure luck is silly because that kinda means there can be no discussing or analysis about where we're going wrong - if luck is the main factor.

Spurs won 5-0 against Newcastle when the Redknapp England talk was rife and after the court case. They did a Spurs because they're Spurs.
I didn't put it down to luck to be fair, people posted on here and said we were awful and were lucky (not my words).

It's just strange how events seems to conspire and we end up with 4th, we were miles behind Spurs after the defeat to them (everyone thought we were out of it) and then Bale got injured and they've had a bit of a mare since then. It's not like we've suddenly started playing amazingly well and swept all our opponents aside either.

I pointed out Wenger mentioned the run yesterday (which I knew he would at some point as he always does as proof that we're a top side and don't need much), but despite the results it's not been champagne football from and in form team.

McNamara That Ghost...
21-04-2013, 07:02 PM
I didn't put it down to luck to be fair, people posted on here and said we were awful and were lucky (not my words).

It's just strange how events seems to conspire and we end up with 4th, we were miles behind Spurs after the defeat to them (everyone thought we were out of it) and then Bale got injured and they've had a bit of a mare since then. It's not like we've suddenly started playing amazingly well and swept all our opponents aside either.

I pointed out Wenger mentioned the run yesterday (which I knew he would at some point as he always does as proof that we're a top side and don't need much), but despite the results it's not been champagne football from and in form team.

Maybe not on this instance but you have before.

It's not strange at all because again, we went on a winning run after losing that game. If you do that, it makes it look like the luck has fallen in to place. Just like in 08/09 with regards to Villa, or indeed last season. If we don't win our games we aren't in a position to take advantage of what happens in any run-in to any team in any league.

It's not been champagne football but we aren't a champagne team, we're rose water. You get rose water performances.

Dennis Bendtner
21-04-2013, 07:08 PM

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRBSjC5Sj1-GzWggQAw1IbR5Wp8WcWgmjihUkhKsSao4msz1e_JJw

Injury Time
21-04-2013, 07:18 PM
Worked through the BBC predictor results, we get 5th losing out on 4th to Chelsea on goal difference (both on 72 points) <_< :ilt:

Letters
21-04-2013, 07:25 PM

Some games in a season you get lucky, others you're unlucky. Over the course of a season these things roughly even out.

I posted above the stats above of our recent run. That can't all be luck although we have rode our luck in some games. It's not been champagne football, no, but at the business end of the season it's all about results and we've been getting them. Anyone else on that run and you'd praise them for grinding out results, we do it and you dismiss it as luck.

As for closing the gap on Spurs. We were 7 points behind Spurs after they beat us, they then lost 2 in a row which helped us close the gap. The games were Fulham at home and Liverpool away and Bale played in both. Bale only missed one league game which they drew, that was Everton at home which was never a gimme. So no, they haven't had a 'mare' since Bale got injured. Again, if Arsenal had lost 2 games like that you'd have said we'd bottled it. Spurs do it and it's 'events' and you try (inaccurately) to blame it on Bale's injury

I see no problem with Wenger mentioning our run, it has been a very good run which has kept us in contention of a top 4 finishing. It's not 'events', it us getting results when we needed to. I really have no idea if we'll finish top 4 this year, if we do it'll say something about the quality of the PL (which I think we all know is pretty low this year) but it won't be luck.

Niall_Quinn
21-04-2013, 07:26 PM

Apart from our board.

Niall_Quinn
21-04-2013, 07:56 PM
All games are big games at the business end of the season all you've done is cherry pick some poor results. Two of those are against sides who are clearly better than us, the other two are sides who are much closer to us in ability. Spurs away was always going to be a defeat, we've not won away against a top side all season because we're not at that level any more. Everton at home was a disappointment but we played well enough and dominated most of the game, we lacked a cutting edge and a top class striker but we all knew that.

I'm fairly confident (if that's the right word) that we'll lose on Sunday vs Utd, that's not us bottling it, that's us losing to a far better side than us. In the run in we've been beating the sides we 'should' be beating, that's given us a chance.

Agree with a lot of the rest of your post but cherry picking some poor results against good sides doesn't really demonstrate your point.

I'm not cherry picking results. I'm picking the results against our closest rivals in the race for a top 4 spot. Any sort of success in any of these games would have made a big difference to the standings.

Looking at all the crunch matches.

Arsenal 0-0 Everton (1 pt)
Tottenham 2-1 Arsenal (0 pt)
Arsenal 1-3 Bayern Munich (CL)
Arsenal 0-1 Blackburn (FA CUP)
Chelsea 2-1 Arsenal (0 pt)
Arsenal 0-2 Man City (0 pt)
Bradford 1-1 Arsenal (Bradford win 3-2 on penalties) (LC)
Everton 1-1 Arsenal (1 pt)
Arsenal 5-2 Tottenham (3 pts) - Our only win against our rivals this season, vs 10 men
Man Utd 2-1 Arsenal (0 pt)
Arsenal 1-2 Chelsea (0 pt)
Man City 1-1 Arsenal (1 pt)

Trophies available: 4 / Trophies winnable: 0
Points available: 27 / Points won: 6 (it will be 30/6 after the Utd loss)

In contrast:

Robin van Persie - 22 points gained from his goals, Man Utd walk the PL

When people say, well Walcott has 88 goals and Giroud has 327 goals plus 900 assists so he must be good - where were their goals and assists when it really mattered? Nowhere. We're only in the race for 4th spot because the quality of the teams in this league has plunged dramatically. This has hidden a stunning lack of performance that wouldn't be acceptable at any other big club (and hasn't been as we have seen). The board and the manager can talk all the shit they want but the results speak louder. In this crappy league we MIGHT grab a CL place but it's only useful for the money it will pile into the club's bank account. We'll be easy meat for any decent continental outfit.

I still have a degree of sympathy for Wenger, having to build a team out of the shit we have. But that sympathy wanes when he then digs to the very bottom of the sewer and hauls up Giroud and Walcott and Gervinho. Our season was over the moment we let RvP go (and Utd won the league at the same moment). The results thereafter were a formality. That's why I highlight these games because these are the games where quality makes the difference, maybe not on a one-off but over a season.

We're just fortunate that the spuds and chavs are shite too.

Niall_Quinn
21-04-2013, 08:02 PM

Yesterday wasn't about luck. The defence hung on pretty well, I wouldn't say they played well but they managed to keep a 10 man Fulham from getting a more than deserved draw. The real factor yesterday was metal attitude. As soon as we sniffed an advantage our game collapsed. We were the team that looked a man short, and in fact we were because Walcott and Giroud were on the pitch most of the game. The only slice of luck we enjoyed, which was huge, was Giroud getting sent off.

fakeyank
21-04-2013, 08:11 PM
I'm not cherry picking results. I'm picking the results against our closest rivals in the race for a top 4 spot. Any sort of success in any of these games would have made a big difference to the standings.

You say closest rivals and then include Utd, Bayern and City in there? Make up your mind. Our closest rivals are Spurs, Everton, Fulham etc.

IBK
21-04-2013, 09:25 PM
Yesterday wasn't about luck. The defence hung on pretty well, I wouldn't say they played well but they managed to keep a 10 man Fulham from getting a more than deserved draw. The real factor yesterday was metal attitude. As soon as we sniffed an advantage our game collapsed. We were the team that looked a man short, and in fact we were because Walcott and Giroud were on the pitch most of the game. The only slice of luck we enjoyed, which was huge, was Giroud getting sent off.

Some good points made in your various posts, mate. I think we'll sneak 4th - but even ignoring the other issues, sneaking 4th every year (and we have habitually 'sneaked it' for years) is a sad indictment on a club that has clearly, clearly lost its way. It feels humiliating, whatever we say about the money available to the competition. The EPL sucks this year - yet Manure - with a proper winners attitude has smashed it open, while we filed what I agree is the poorest team ever under Wenger. We used to expect to win. Now our hearts are in our mouths against Norwich, Fulham.

Spurs lack consistency, but what worries me is that they have a bold, hungry manager who is capable of changing games when needed. This is why it feels like they are on the up. We feel like we are floundering - and the sad thing is that it feels more basic than simply buying better players.

We are not shite, relative to the performances around us - but given that Chelsea are suffering from managerial changes; Citeh have yet to build a team that isn't just mercenary and AVB is only in his second full season - our club needs to take a long look at itself.

Niall_Quinn
21-04-2013, 10:09 PM
You say closest rivals and then include Utd, Bayern and City in there? Make up your mind. Our closest rivals are Spurs, Everton, Fulham etc.

That was a reference to the post before the one you refer to. The post you're reading goes on to discuss our (non) performance in key matches. There's no ambiguity.

Cripps_orig
21-04-2013, 10:17 PM
It's in our hands now which it wasn't before today's games.

Not sure if that's an advantage or not

Niall_Quinn
21-04-2013, 10:32 PM
Some good points made in your various posts, mate. I think we'll sneak 4th - but even ignoring the other issues, sneaking 4th every year (and we have habitually 'sneaked it' for years) is a sad indictment on a club that has clearly, clearly lost its way. It feels humiliating, whatever we say about the money available to the competition. The EPL sucks this year - yet Manure - with a proper winners attitude has smashed it open, while we filed what I agree is the poorest team ever under Wenger. We used to expect to win. Now our hearts are in our mouths against Norwich, Fulham.

Spurs lack consistency, but what worries me is that they have a bold, hungry manager who is capable of changing games when needed. This is why it feels like they are on the up. We feel like we are floundering - and the sad thing is that it feels more basic than simply buying better players.

We are not shite, relative to the performances around us - but given that Chelsea are suffering from managerial changes; Citeh have yet to build a team that isn't just mercenary and AVB is only in his second full season - our club needs to take a long look at itself.

They must sit down at the start of a season and plan things entirely around the finances with football as the secondary concern. When you look at it from a financial perspective we've been very successful and that success is growing year on year. But we don't look at that, one way or another we pay money (contribute to those finances) to watch what's happening on the pitch (the secondary concern of the club). And we don't see success, that's for sure. The message from the club is to be patient forever because eventually there will be so much money the millionaires will finally be able to let a few quid drop from their table. Really, that's the foundation of their message when you boil it all down. Once they get their share (which is just about the whole pie) then we'll get our crumbs and if the next guy in gets a big pay off too and things continue to grow then, who knows, those crumbs may turn into morsels.

As you say, in the meantime we just have to hope the likes of Chelsea and City keep shooting their own feet off so the gap remains at least respectable. Utd are out of sight. Not because of money but because they are a well run club that places football as the number one priority, though let's not entirely forget some of their dubious commercial practices. Nevertheless you can see that in the way they work so hard to knit together a bunch of players that (like for like) really aren't that much better than what we have here. Not 20 points better anyway. And they have a manager who measures winning and losing by what happens on the pitch rather than on the balance sheet.

Our club (like others) got infiltrated by business sharks but our ex-shareholders' had their heads turned from the main purpose of the game. The stadium plan was hijacked and the team left to rot. They know the fans will keep coming back because the inertia in sport is probably greater than in any other industry. These are clever and ruthless bastards. They won't be spending £70mill in the summer either. Surely nobody is buying that bullshit? The £70mill is the carrot to get those season ticket sales rolling in. Every year we think the same, don't we? Surely, surely they can't pull this stunt again? But they do and they'll do it again.

The fans have to hold their nerve though. People clamouring for a Russian gangster to take over just so we can become another Chelsea drenched in blood money ought to think again. There's a middle ground rather than the two extremes you see when comparing Arsenal and Chelsea. Besides, here we are, a team starved of cash competing to the last few games of the season with a team that has blown billions trying to buy prizes. That's because the chavs aren't about football either, not since Mourinho left. Mourinho and Ferguson. It's all about the football and all about winning with them and the rewards keep tumbling in. Wenger? For him it has become pure business management and he does it really well. To the detriment of our football club but the delight of the board as they have said many times.

No, it won't be changing any time soon and I could even live with it if they would only put a bit more effort into producing entertaining football. Or football that doesn't plod at 2mph. But they won't even make that small concession.

Niall_Quinn
21-04-2013, 10:33 PM
It's in our hands now which it wasn't before today's games.

Not sure if that's an advantage or not

It's in our hands provided we beat Utd next week. So it's in our hands in much the same way as having your hand run over by a car.

IBK
21-04-2013, 10:40 PM
They must sit down at the start of a season and plan things entirely around the finances with football as the secondary concern. When you look at it from a financial perspective we've been very successful and that success is growing year on year. But we don't look at that, one way or another we pay money (contribute to those finances) to watch what's happening on the pitch (the secondary concern of the club). And we don't see success, that's for sure. The message from the club is to be patient forever because eventually there will be so much money the millionaires will finally be able to let a few quid drop from their table. Really, that's the foundation of their message when you boil it all down. Once they get their share (which is just about the whole pie) then we'll get our crumbs and if the next guy in gets a big pay off too and things continue to grow then, who knows, those crumbs may turn into morsels.

As you say, in the meantime we just have to hope the likes of Chelsea and City keep shooting their own feet off so the gap remains at least respectable. Utd are out of sight. Not because of money but because they are a well run club that places football as the number one priority, though let's not entirely forget some of their dubious commercial practices. Nevertheless you can see that in the way they work so hard to knit together a bunch of players that (like for like) really aren't that much better than what we have here. Not 20 points better anyway. And they have a manager who measures winning and losing by what happens on the pitch rather than on the balance sheet.

Our club (like others) got infiltrated by business sharks but our ex-shareholders' had their heads turned from the main purpose of the game. The stadium plan was hijacked and the team left to rot. They know the fans will keep coming back because the inertia in sport is probably greater than in any other industry. These are clever and ruthless bastards. They won't be spending £70mill in the summer either. Surely nobody is buying that bullshit? The £70mill is the carrot to get those season ticket sales rolling in. Every year we think the same, don't we? Surely, surely they can't pull this stunt again? But they do and they'll do it again.

The fans have to hold their nerve though. People clamouring for a Russian gangster to take over just so we can become another Chelsea drenched in blood money ought to think again. There's a middle ground rather than the two extremes you see when comparing Arsenal and Chelsea. Besides, here we are, a team starved of cash competing to the last few games of the season with a team that has blown billions trying to buy prizes. That's because the chavs aren't about football either, not since Mourinho left. Mourinho and Ferguson. It's all about the football and all about winning with them and the rewards keep tumbling in. Wenger? For him it has become pure business management and he does it really well. To the detriment of our football club but the delight of the board as they have said many times.

No, it won't be changing any time soon and I could even live with it if they would only put a bit more effort into producing entertaining football. Or football that doesn't plod at 2mph. But they won't even make that small concession.

Because central to the club's policy is Wenger. And because we have a manager who seems happy to play the business percentages, he will deliver for the board but never for the fans. And I am afraid that despite my massive efforts to remain objective about my club, while we have Wenger we will have this inertia.

Cripps_orig
21-04-2013, 10:41 PM
Pretty much.

We might as well accept being in 5th place from today cos we are losing that.

Can't see Swansea or Wigan doing much v Chelsea and Tottenham.

Power n Glory
21-04-2013, 11:32 PM
Because central to the club's policy is Wenger. And because we have a manager who seems happy to play the business percentages, he will deliver for the board but never for the fans. And I am afraid that despite my massive efforts to remain objective about my club, while we have Wenger we will have this inertia.

That's also my opinion. He's ethos on how a club should be run and fiancially responsible is what's keeping this cycle in motion. Without Wenger this strategy just wouldn't work. The danger we have now is that the philosophy of the club has been so deeply woven that once Wenger is gone the Board will continue on with this strategy and go for a 'yes man' manager. If they go high profile, then there is a chane of things really changing from the core on outwards. But if they adopt a Moyes type manager then you just know where we're headed. I hope they're not that stupid because Europe is the main draw here.

Gooner23
22-04-2013, 07:51 AM

:gp:

Excellent post this. The war chest stories have become so formulaic in terms of content and time of year released, its a complete piss take.

Difficult to see how or when we will see any real change though. Wenger is here for another season at least, and under the current regime there are no guarantees a new manager will make much of a difference. One things for sure, I DON'T want to become another City or Chelski. As you say there should be a middle ground, look at the model of Bayern or Dortmund for inspiration.

selassie
22-04-2013, 01:02 PM
It's in our hands provided we beat Utd next week. So it's in our hands in much the same way as having your hand run over by a car.

GOLD!

We've got to make a thread of some of your posts NQ, where's the classics thread. ;)

selassie
22-04-2013, 01:03 PM
:gp:

Excellent post this. The war chest stories have become so formulaic in terms of content and time of year released, its a complete piss take.

Difficult to see how or when we will see any real change though. Wenger is here for another season at least, and under the current regime there are no guarantees a new manager will make much of a difference. One things for sure, I DON'T want to become another City or Chelski. As you say there should be a middle ground, look at the model of Bayern or Dortmund for inspiration.

Yep, I second that. Arsenal must be one of the only clubs in world football that is linked to stars outside of the transfer window. As soon as that window opens we remain static and then risk buy...normally after gutting half of the team.

Özim
22-04-2013, 01:07 PM
Also the 70 million isn't being invested very wisely, it's the same every season but what about the interest?

selassie
22-04-2013, 01:19 PM
Also the 70 million isn't being invested very wisely, it's the same every season but what about the interest?

Well technically Arsene does spend it all, he tends to renegotiate the players contracts after searching high and low all summer for "star quality" at bargain basement prices.

I still don't get why our wages/contract renegotiations are factored into the transfer kitty...seem a bit strange to me but what do I know.

P.S. Yeah...I get your point re: interest, especially as we are told it's been sitting in the bank since last summer!!!

Grebbo
22-04-2013, 01:57 PM
That £70m has probably earned £200k interest in a year....

selassie
22-04-2013, 02:45 PM
That £70m has probably earned £200k interest in a year....

Based on what calculations? :faint:

Grebbo
22-04-2013, 03:20 PM
0.25% rounded up a bit.

Unless you're prepared to lock away the money or put it in a foreign bank then I'd imagine that's what you'd get.

I could of course be completely wrong!

Niall_Quinn
22-04-2013, 05:26 PM
Apparently we have over £70mill invested in government bonds. Crooks funding crooks for a return generated from scalping the taxpayer - that's after being scalped in the first place for the tickets or subscriptions.

IBK
22-04-2013, 06:37 PM
That's also my opinion. He's ethos on how a club should be run and fiancially responsible is what's keeping this cycle in motion. Without Wenger this strategy just wouldn't work. The danger we have now is that the philosophy of the club has been so deeply woven that once Wenger is gone the Board will continue on with this strategy and go for a 'yes man' manager. If they go high profile, then there is a chane of things really changing from the core on outwards. But if they adopt a Moyes type manager then you just know where we're headed. I hope they're not that stupid because Europe is the main draw here.

Aye - the club's ethos has definitely changed - and in the same way that I don't trust Wenger to win things even if he buys players, I don't trust the club to develop a proper winning mentality even if Wenger goes.

IMO if we had strived as much as the Spuds in recent years, with our pedigree/resources, we would have won stuff.

Lord Nelson
22-04-2013, 09:01 PM
Aye - the club's ethos has definitely changed - and in the same way that I don't trust Wenger to win things even if he buys players, I don't trust the club to develop a proper winning mentality even if Wenger goes.

IMO if we had strived as much as the Spuds in recent years, with our pedigree/resources, we would have won stuff.
Hate to say it, but your point about the Spuds is right. If they get CL footy, they will kick on, spend big, and leave us standing! Who knows how long for?

Letters
22-04-2013, 10:03 PM
Hate to say it, but your point about the Spuds is right. If they get CL footy, they will kick on, spend big, and leave us standing! Who knows how long for?They've qualified for the CL before and not done that so it's not a given. They usually cock it up somehow.

Grebbo
22-04-2013, 10:40 PM
Hate to say it, but your point about the Spuds is right. If they get CL footy, they will kick on, spend big, and leave us standing! Who knows how long for?

Only if they sell Bale and spend his transfer fee. Otherwise they'll be tight as they've got a new stadium to pay for.

selassie
23-04-2013, 01:03 PM
0.25% rounded up a bit.

Unless you're prepared to lock away the money or put it in a foreign bank then I'd imagine that's what you'd get.

I could of course be completely wrong!

Isn't the money locked away anyway?!

It's not like we ever spend any of our cash reserves or whatever they are called. We regularly sell 40million worth of talent and only spend around 20million on replacements. Sure we renegotiate players contracts etc but the money must be somewhere if it does actually exist?!

Grebbo
23-04-2013, 02:27 PM
I dunno.

Arsenal FC only makes a profit from player sales and property deals though. Without these we'd actually make a small loss or break even at best. Mainly beacuse of our massive wage bill and piss poor commercial deals. Not many people realise this or just choose to ignore it.

The new deal with Emirates, potential new kit deal and new TV deal should now mean we have some serious wedge though.

Lord Nelson
24-04-2013, 12:10 PM
I've posted this poll a few times this season with varying results.
We're on a good run and have somehow barged our way into the top 4...but can we stay there?

Two big games coming up this week. Everton is going to be tough tomorrow, we don't have a good record vs Fulham.
On Sunday Spurs have City where they might drop points, they still have to play away at Chelsea.
We have Utd at home and last day of the season it's Newcastle away which isn't a gimme.

I was going to put a "meh" option in but I don't think you can be ambivalent about this. Whatever you feel about whether we qualify for the CL, finishing top 4 probably means finishing above Spurs. I don't see how any Arsenal fan can be indifferent about that.

I'm saying yes although I'm nervous we'll cock it up.

Hey Letters,
Can we re-vote after this weekends games?##
IMHO, the dirty Spuds will thrash Wigan and you cannot see Chelscum getting anything else but 3 points from their game.
Obviously we have to play the Mancs, unfortunatly, we seem to lose this fixture these days before the game has even started! :ilt:

Letters
24-04-2013, 12:57 PM
I've posted this poll a few times to see how the mood has changed over time. Could do another one next week.

Lord Nelson
24-04-2013, 01:24 PM
I've posted this poll a few times to see how the mood has changed over time. Could do another one next week.
:tiphat:

Syn
24-04-2013, 01:55 PM
I don't think we will this time. And who, apart from Wenger, Gazidis and Kroenke, gives a shit.

Grebbo
24-04-2013, 02:10 PM
It's going to be very close.

Chelsea seem to have the hardest run in for sure. Plus Europa League, plus Rafa, so we really should be getting fourth. I think Spuds might get 3rd.

Game against Manure is a right off but if we win the other games we'll get 4th.

Marc Overmars
24-04-2013, 02:15 PM
Suarez's goal on Sunday keeps us in the driving seat.

We can now lose to United but know if we collect 6 points against QPR and Wigan, we'll be at least 4th going in to the final day, because of the guarantee that Chelsea and/or Spurs will have dropped points.

Niall_Quinn
24-04-2013, 03:11 PM
Suarez's goal on Sunday keeps us in the driving seat.

We can now lose to United but know if we collect 6 points against QPR and Wigan, we'll be at least 4th going in to the final day, because of the guarantee that Chelsea and/or Spurs will have dropped points.

So it would be down to us not bottling it on the final day? Seems a bit far fetched we could qualify then.

GP
24-04-2013, 03:24 PM
Hey Letters,
Can we re-vote after this weekends games?##
IMHO, the dirty Spuds will thrash Wigan and you cannot see Chelscum getting anything else but 3 points from their game.
Obviously we have to play the Mancs, unfortunatly, we seem to lose this fixture these days before the game has even started! :ilt:

You mean you want to make your prediction after the games?

Really going out on a limb there...

Letters
24-04-2013, 04:13 PM
I don't think we will this time. And who, apart from Wenger, Gazidis and Kroenke, gives a shit.
Well, given that it might be the difference between finishing above Spurs and not, most Arsenal fans do.

Letters
24-04-2013, 04:13 PM

I think you'll find the games this weekend are not the last ones of the season.

GP
24-04-2013, 04:33 PM
I think you'll find the games this weekend are not the last ones of the season.

Neither is your face.

Lord Nelson
24-04-2013, 09:31 PM
Neither is your face.

Off to bed with you! You must be up early for school!

Lord Nelson
24-04-2013, 09:33 PM

I have already voted No. We will get 5th this year. Will Wenger make 5th place a new trophy?

Xhaka Can’t
24-04-2013, 09:35 PM
I think it is reasonable to start a new poll next week.

We could just close this and start a new one following the next round of matches.

KSE Comedy Club
25-04-2013, 07:00 AM
As utd have already won the league and were giving them a guard of honour, any chance fergie will do us a favour and let us win?

IBK
25-04-2013, 12:25 PM
As utd have already won the league and were giving them a guard of honour, any chance fergie will do us a favour and let us win?

No.

Özil's Panoramic View
25-04-2013, 12:35 PM
No.

:sighs:

No one ever throws us a freaking bone, huh? No matter how charitable we've been towards them.

Niall_Quinn
25-04-2013, 01:52 PM
Fergie should give us a guard of honour and kiss our arses. We put the noisy neighbours back to bed for him, he wasn't going to get that job done with Rooney and Welbeck up top. I bet he still chuckles at the thought of us selling our best asset to him. Or maybe he doesn't. Maybe he chuckles, then laughs, the laughs uncontrollably and hits the deck waving his arms and legs in the air. That's what I'd do if I was him. Hilarious stuff. Mental.

Letters
25-04-2013, 03:26 PM
Fergie should give us a guard of honour and kiss our arses. We put the noisy neighbours back to bed for him, he wasn't going to get that job done with Rooney and Welbeck up top. I bet he still chuckles at the thought of us selling our best asset to him. Or maybe he doesn't. Maybe he chuckles, then laughs, the laughs uncontrollably and hits the deck waving his arms and legs in the air. That's what I'd do if I was him. Hilarious stuff. Mental.
I bet all Fergie's texts to Wenger end in "lol".

Grebbo
25-04-2013, 03:29 PM
:sighs:

No one ever throws us a freaking bone, huh? No matter how charitable we've been towards them.

You kidding me?

What about Spuds players getting food poisoning and shitting themselves on the pitch on the final day of the season?

What about WBA having the dodgiest fuck of a reserve keeper against us on the last game of last season and let in two of the softest goals handing us 3rd spot?

We've had plenty of help over the years to get 4th.

Krul is now out for the season as well just in time for us to face Newcastle's reserve keeper on the last day of this season.

Grebbo
25-04-2013, 03:30 PM
I bet all Fergie's texts to Wenger end in "lol".

Silvestre lol

Lord Nelson
25-04-2013, 08:44 PM
Silvestre lol
LMFAO!!!
Brilliant !!

Ollie the Optimist
27-04-2013, 04:10 PM
so spurs dropped points again today, wanst expecting them too at all so we have to capitalise tomorrow. effectively it is a two point gap right now because of our GD being +13 ahead of them so therefore if they level with us, we are ahead. but if we win tomorrow, it will be huge, a massive statement to them.

Marc Overmars
27-04-2013, 04:14 PM
If we win tomorrow (:haha:) then the 4th place trophy is most certainly coming home.

Özil's Panoramic View
27-04-2013, 04:15 PM
so spurs dropped points again today, wanst expecting them too at all so we have to capitalise tomorrow. effectively it is a two point gap right now because of our GD being +13 ahead of them so therefore if they level with us, we are ahead. but if we win tomorrow, it will be huge, a massive statement to them.

We win tomorrow and all will be forgiven for Wenger.

Come on you Gunners.

Lord Nelson
27-04-2013, 04:39 PM
We win tomorrow and all will be forgiven for Wenger.

Come on you Gunners.
We have had too many false hopes / dawns when other clubs have done us a favour. Best we can hope for is a point against the Mancs!

McNamara That Ghost...
27-04-2013, 07:43 PM
What false dawns have we had with regards to finishing in the top 4?

McNamara That Ghost...
28-04-2013, 06:09 PM
Come on Man Utd. :bow:

:sick:

Marc Overmars
28-04-2013, 06:13 PM
Wouldn't surprise me if Chelsea won next week really.

McNamara That Ghost...
28-04-2013, 06:19 PM
It'd surprise me.

Dennis Bendtner
28-04-2013, 06:21 PM
Presumably losing at home to three of the remainder of the top 5 would rankle little bit. And United don't have much else to do.

Marc Overmars
28-04-2013, 06:24 PM
Lets just hope we do our job and beat Crooknapp's pub teamers, otherwise we don't deserve to be in the CL.

Letters
28-04-2013, 06:47 PM
We've got 3 games against pub teams. We really should be winning all of them but knowing us...
It's not in our hands but if we do win our games I think we'll be top 4 at the end.

Cripps_orig
28-04-2013, 07:05 PM
We've got 3 games against pub teams. We really should be winning all of them but knowing us...
It's not in our hands but if we do win our games I think we'll be top 4 at the end.

We didn't win any of these 3 in the games last season.

Just have to hope QPR having already been relegated don't turn up, Wigan are still celebrating their cup final win and pardiola does turn up when we face Newcastle.

Letters
28-04-2013, 07:55 PM
Didn't we? :lol: :doh:

I'm more worried that QPR having been relegated will relax now they're under no pressure and performance.
That said, they are bloody awful so we really should be winning there.

*sigh*

Cripps_orig
28-04-2013, 08:12 PM
Lost 2-1 away to QPR. I remember that cos their 2 goals came from 2 players who hadn't scored that season at all so typically they opened their account v us.

Lost 2-1 at home to Wigan when the player formerly known as RVP was Caldwells bitch throughout and he made a big deal at the end.

0-0 at Newcastle on the opening day of the season when Forehead was sent off on his debut for doing something to Barton.

McNamara That Ghost...
28-04-2013, 08:15 PM
By the same token we had lost against Fulham (a) and Man Utd (h) last season but got four points from them this season.

All in all, I don't think it'll make much difference.

Kano
28-04-2013, 09:50 PM
Didn't we? :lol: :doh:

I'm more worried that QPR having been relegated will relax now they're under no pressure and performance.
That said, they are bloody awful so we really should be winning there.

*sigh*
the only way we'll lose next week is through our own stupidity. the qpr lot couldn't be bothered when they had to fight for their lives, so now it's holiday time. their own manager called them shit, he won't be there come the summer - if not the end of this week - most of them know they can piss off in the summer, they don't give a shit about the club or the fans so it's three points for the taking.

Niall_Quinn
28-04-2013, 10:08 PM
the only way we'll lose next week is through our own stupidity.

Football is a funny old game so we could still win it.