PDA

View Full Version : Will we finish in the top 4?

Letters
29-04-2013, 07:34 AM
Come on then. Last one. 3 games left. It's not in our hands but 3 wins against 3 poor sides and it's fairly likely we'll end up in the top 4.
I guess we'll probably blunder our way there, we usually do.

Injury Time
29-04-2013, 08:14 AM
Still no.

I_Killed_Kenny
29-04-2013, 08:27 AM
ve vill do it

Niall_Quinn
29-04-2013, 08:35 AM
Yes, but we won't achieve it ourselves, we'll have to rely on somebody else to luck us into 4th spot. Our own players don't have the character to secure it.

Letters
29-04-2013, 09:09 AM
Yes, but we won't achieve it ourselves, we'll have to rely on somebody else to luck us into 4th spot. Our own players don't have the character to secure it.
Table never lies. If we finish top 4 then over a season it's because we deserve to.

What that says about our competitors is a different issue.

Marc Overmars
29-04-2013, 09:27 AM
Yes, on the presumption we don't drop stupid points against QPR and Wigan.

I think 3rd is maybe slipping away so 4th is most likely.

LDG
29-04-2013, 09:32 AM
Still can't see it.

We'll get fucked by Newcastle for one. And I can see us dropping points in one of the other two games.

We'll get four points from the remaining three, and finish fifth.

Grebbo
29-04-2013, 09:56 AM
3rd is gone now.

I've got a nasty feeling we're not going to do it. The only reason I have a slight hope is because our competition is Spurs and they are bigger bottlers than we are.

Joker
29-04-2013, 10:00 AM
I think we'll get past QPR who are terrible. However, Wigan at home could be tricky and I think we'll drop points at Newcastle. So I'm not too confident about getting 4th tbh.

McNamara That Ghost...
29-04-2013, 10:05 AM
Win all three I reckon.

In fact I think the Newcastle game will prove to be academic.

Letters
29-04-2013, 10:05 AM
We'll definitely need a result on the last day

:upset:

Niall_Quinn
29-04-2013, 10:06 AM
Nah, we'll end up needing the spuds to bottle it and they will.

Kano
29-04-2013, 10:10 AM
our current record is 8 unbeaten; 6 wins, 2 draws.

to go 11 unbeaten with 9 wins is my worry, as its not a run many teams put together, so some dropped points are 'due'.

so inclusion we will get in the top four.

or we may not.

thankyou.

McNamara That Ghost...
29-04-2013, 10:14 AM
With what I have just predicted we'd draw the last game and still be ahead of the Spuds. Think they will lose against Chelsea and draw one of the others, most likely Stoke (a).

LDG
29-04-2013, 10:16 AM
our current record is 8 unbeaten; 6 wins, 2 draws.

to go 11 unbeaten with 9 wins is my worry, as its not a run many teams put together, so some dropped points are 'due'.

so inclusion we will get in the top four.

or we may not.

thankyou.

Inclusion?

In conclusion?

Inspector Cluseau?

Cripps_orig
29-04-2013, 12:14 PM
Did the predictor thing on the BBC website in the previous top 4 thread and I heads down to finish 5th

Done it again for this and we are up to 3rd.

Just noticed I haven't got Chelsea winning any of their remaining matches :lol:

Villa to go down as well

selassie
29-04-2013, 12:47 PM
I honestly don't know. I did the "BBC" Predictor and had us down to finish 4th, though we were level on points with the Spuds but had superior goal difference.

This was based on the assumption we would win the next 2 (Wigan & QPR) and draw at Newcastle.

Spuds win 3 of their remaining 4 but lose at Chelsea.

I had Chelsea down to remain unbeaten, draw at Villa and Man U, win the rest.

I dunno...one thing we can't afford to do is drop silly points, IMHO we need to win 2 of the remaining 3, ideally all 3. If I'm honest I think we have the potential to drop points at home to Wigan and away to Newcastle.

P.S. One thing that is clear and needs to be addressed is the lack of quality in our squad, the Spuds have absolutely caught up with us now, we have been going neck and neck with them for a few seasons now. No more excuses...we absolutely have to spend on "REAL" quality this summer.

Grebbo
29-04-2013, 02:37 PM
P.S. One thing that is clear and needs to be addressed is the lack of quality in our squad, the Spuds have absolutely caught up with us now, we have been going neck and neck with them for a few seasons now. No more excuses...we absolutely have to spend on "REAL" quality this summer.

See I disagree. I think their squad is pretty poor but they have Bale.

Whereas I think our squad is pretty good but we don't have a world class forward - unlike them.

Anyway, I think this is the year that we miss out. No way will we win 3 games on the bounce especially without a striker.

She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
29-04-2013, 09:52 PM
we'll finish 3rd.

chelsea still play man utd and spurs.

spurs are spurs.

papers over another shambolic season though.

selassie
29-04-2013, 10:12 PM
See I disagree. I think their squad is pretty poor but they have Bale.

Whereas I think our squad is pretty good but we don't have a world class forward - unlike them.

Anyway, I think this is the year that we miss out. No way will we win 3 games on the bounce especially without a striker.

Yeah I agree their squad is pretty poor and the bit about Bale, one thing we can be certain of is if they do lose Bale they will spend every penny reinvesting it back in the team.

I'm not even convinced about our first XI let alone our Squad, but I do think we have a better squad than them....just...

I'm kind of thinking we are going to miss out too, I was convinced a few weeks ago we were in the driving seat, now I'm not so sure.

I'll be honest...if the circumstances were different (I.E. Not jostling for top 4 with Spurs), I wouldn't be that bothered about missing out on top 4 after years of chronic under investment in the team and asset stripping but....I could not bear the Spuds finishing above us at the expense of top 4, it would be absolutely sickening.

Özil's Panoramic View
29-04-2013, 10:29 PM
Yes, we will.

Really though, for me it's all about about finishing above the swamp dwellers. And, as the chavs now look a bit of a shoe in for 3rd, we have to finish 4th to avert the unbearable happening.

Cripps_orig
29-04-2013, 10:31 PM
If we are in the top 4 after the Chelsea v Tottenham match then we'll stay there. If not then we won't get it.

-Xs-
29-04-2013, 11:29 PM
Yes, we will.

Really though, for me it's all about about finishing above the swamp dwellers. And, as the chavs now look a bit of a shoe in for 3rd, we have to finish 4th to avert the unbearable happening.

Not sure about 'shoe in', they've arguably got the hardest run in of all of us

Chavs

Man Utd V Chelsea
Chelsea V Tottenham
Aston Villa V Chelsea
Chelsea V Everton

Scum

Tottenham V Southampton
Chelsea V Tottenham
Stoke V Tottenham
Tottenham V Sunderland

Ours

QPR V Arsenal
Arsenal V Wigan
Newcastle V Arsenal

Granted all of ours are potential banana skins, with both Wigan and Newcastle vying to stay in the league, but I can see Chelsea only getting 3 points from their remaining games, the spuds may well get max points, 6 points I reckon will see us over the line - need to have those points on the board before going to Newcastle on the final game if the relegation places haven't been sorted by then. The most important result for us is probably v Wigan as that might dictate the kind of game we have to face on the last day.

Özil's Panoramic View
29-04-2013, 11:47 PM
Agreed to an extent. But I think the chavs have enough pedigree to eventually nip 3rd.

I definitely fancy us holding down 3rd; I just don't want to be overly optimistic seeing how dodgy our run has been.

Letters
30-04-2013, 06:57 AM
we'll finish 3rd.

chelsea still play man utd and spurs.

spurs are spurs.

papers over another shambolic season though.
How are you managing to predict a 3rd place finish in this thread and a loss to QPR in that match thread?

She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
30-04-2013, 10:51 AM
:doh: oh yes because when i post in the match thread predicting a loss every week i mean it :haha:

Cripps_orig
30-04-2013, 10:53 AM
We can still lose to QPR and finish 3rd

She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
30-04-2013, 10:57 AM
he was trying to be clever but he ended up looking like a tit again.

Letters
30-04-2013, 10:59 AM
We can still lose to QPR and finish 3rd
We can, and we can win every game and not finish top 4.
Both are pretty unlikely.

How am I supposed to know whether you're being serious or not, SWAYR?

Letters
30-04-2013, 11:05 AM
he was trying to be clever but he ended up looking like a tit again.
Yeah, you predicted we'd lose to QPR and finish top 4. Not impossible but pretty unlikely.
It's definitely me who looks like a tit :good:

She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
30-04-2013, 11:52 AM
the fact a few of us go in the match threads and post a loss every week, and that i openly joke about losing and being humiliated on international television channels shows one thing on your behalf, believe me.

She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
30-04-2013, 11:56 AM
We can, and we can win every game and not finish top 4.
Both are pretty unlikely.

How am I supposed to know whether you're being serious or not, SWAYR?

have common sense, use half a brain cell, have good instincts.

in other words you cant.

Letters
30-04-2013, 01:03 PM
the fact a few of us go in the match threads and post a loss every week.
You don't. Just checked a few of the other match threads for recent games, not a prediction of a loss from you in any of them bar QPR. Maybe you have done it in the past but every week? Nope.

If you did it every week, like GP does his 3-0 every game, then yeah. But you don't.

:tiphat:

EDIT:

Checked 7 match threads before QPR. In two you predicted losses which were clearly jokes - ManYoo (2-8) and Reading (5-7). Those were clear references to previous bizarre results. In two others, Everton and West Brom, you predicted loses which looked genuine enough. In the other 3 (Fulham, Norwich, Swansea) I didn't see a prediction at all.

So yeah, there's no clear pattern of you making obvious jokey predictions. Nice to have chatted though :tiphat:

LDG
30-04-2013, 01:24 PM
Internet arguments :lol:

Load of old shit.

Letters
30-04-2013, 01:26 PM

Load of old shit.
Pretty much. :lol:

LDG
30-04-2013, 01:30 PM
Damn. Was playing Letters bingo. Had you down for a "so's your face" there.

:(

Letters
30-04-2013, 01:38 PM
Might use it later.

You bumbling idiot.

We'll see... <_<

LDG
30-04-2013, 01:46 PM
Roffle.

She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
30-04-2013, 02:15 PM
You don't. Just checked a few of the other match threads for recent games, not a prediction of a loss from you in any of them bar QPR. Maybe you have done it in the past but every week? Nope.

If you did it every week, like GP does his 3-0 every game, then yeah. But you don't.

:tiphat:

EDIT:

Checked 7 match threads before QPR. In two you predicted losses which were clearly jokes - ManYoo (2-8) and Reading (5-7). Those were clear references to previous bizarre results. In two others, Everton and West Brom, you predicted loses which looked genuine enough. In the other 3 (Fulham, Norwich, Swansea) I didn't see a prediction at all.

So yeah, there's no clear pattern of you making obvious jokey predictions. Nice to have chatted though :tiphat:

so i didnt make a loss prediction at all bar the QPR game but i did for 4 out the last 7 games? :haha: :haha:

GP
30-04-2013, 02:16 PM
This is productive.

Letters
30-04-2013, 02:21 PM
This is productive.

your face is productice

(LDG shouts "house!" off stage)

Letters
30-04-2013, 02:21 PM
productice
Letters :pal:

Master Splinter
30-04-2013, 04:24 PM

Load of old shit.

They make you feel ten feet tall.

Xhaka Can’t
30-04-2013, 07:54 PM
This thread is the best ever in pretty much the same way that Letters has the best face ever.

Lord Nelson
30-04-2013, 09:03 PM
Come on then. Last one. 3 games left. It's not in our hands but 3 wins against 3 poor sides and it's fairly likely we'll end up in the top 4.
I can't see the Spuds dropping any points against Saints, Stoke or Sunderland. They will get a point at Chelsea. As for us, draw with QPR, beat Wigan, draw at Newcastle! Europa for us! :(

Kano
30-04-2013, 09:06 PM
Shit!

Lord Nelson
30-04-2013, 09:34 PM
Yeah I agree their squad is pretty poor and the bit about Bale, one thing we can be certain of is if they do lose Bale they will spend every penny reinvesting it back in the team.

I'm not even convinced about our first XI let alone our Squad, but I do think we have a better squad than them....just...

I'm kind of thinking we are going to miss out too, I was convinced a few weeks ago we were in the driving seat, now I'm not so sure.

I'll be honest...if the circumstances were different (I.E. Not jostling for top 4 with Spurs), I wouldn't be that bothered about missing out on top 4 after years of chronic under investment in the team and asset stripping but....I could not bear the Spuds finishing above us at the expense of top 4, it would be absolutely sickening.
Get the bucket ready !

selassie
04-05-2013, 11:23 PM
Get the bucket ready !

:d

We all Chelsea fans on Wednesday then? That is basically going to be the game that settles Top 4 IMHO.

GP
05-05-2013, 12:39 AM
I can't see the Spuds dropping any points against Saints, Stoke or Sunderland. They will get a point at Chelsea. As for us, draw with QPR, beat Wigan, draw at Newcastle! Europa for us! :(

You're already wrong.

Japan Shaking All Over
05-05-2013, 01:43 AM
What is with all the love shown by some for the Scum over the team that all are meant to love (and go screw yourselves with any argument based on apparant realism)? Sure they may have a monkey who when wearing a football kit resembles an early prototype of man who can play a bit but the team is all over the shop at the moment and that was before the Saints game. . .they are damaged beyond repair mentally (puts us to shame n that dept)

The game against Dynamo Chelski is huge and has loss written all over it. . .unless Rafa does somethig stupid and rests the whole team

Fuck get with the program people, we arent great but we are far less of a fuck up than than them

milla
05-05-2013, 07:35 AM
This thread is the best ever in pretty much the same way that Letters has the best face ever.

Too late Gary, Lettuce is married. You had your chance for years and you blew it. :coffee:

Xhaka Can’t
05-05-2013, 07:42 AM
I know. :(

Marc Overmars
05-05-2013, 08:58 AM
:d

We all Chelsea fans on Wednesday then? That is basically going to be the game that settles Top 4 IMHO.

A draw is ideal I think, but if there's a winner I'd rather it be Chelsea of course.

First lets hope United get the job done today because that could throw a spanner in the works if they don't.

KSE Comedy Club
05-05-2013, 10:47 AM
Yeh best result is a utd win today and a draw on Wednesday.

Or failing that a Chelsea win.

Either way, we need 6 points regardless.

Ollie the Optimist
05-05-2013, 10:50 AM
if the scum sell bale, it doenst mean they will reinvest. they dont often do that, last year, they sold van der vaart, modric and brought in, adebayor ( :lol: ) they hardly replaced modric or van der vaart, they only have two strikers. so if they sell bale, they are more likely to spend it on a dempsey and keep the money

Joker
05-05-2013, 10:57 AM
if the scum sell bale, it doenst mean they will reinvest. they dont often do that, last year, they sold van der vaart, modric and brought in, adebayor ( :lol: ) they hardly replaced modric or van der vaart, they only have two strikers. so if they sell bale, they are more likely to spend it on a dempsey and keep the money

After selling Modric and VDV they bought Dembele and Sigurdsson, both midfielders who have had successful seasons. They also signed Holtby in January, another attacking midfielder. That's even without mentioning Lloris and Vertonghen who also arrived at the start of this season. So they have properly replaced VDV and Modric, in fact arguably they've gone up a level this season and improved.

McNamara That Ghost...
05-05-2013, 11:04 AM
Gone up a level? No, those players aren't as good as VDV and Modric.

Sigurdsson has been woeful for the most part.

Joker
05-05-2013, 11:15 AM
Gone up a level? No, those players aren't as good as VDV and Modric.

Sigurdsson has been woeful for the most part.

Dembele has been excellent whenever I've seen him play. Yes he's more of a defensive minded player but his dribbling with the ball is comparable to Modric's IMO. Sigurdsson has still made a difference in a few matches, I remember him assisting Bale's goal against us. In any case, now that Bale's been converted to a sort of creative midfielder/centre forward, the fact that Sigurdsson hasn't set the world alight doesn't matter that match.
And when I say they've gone up a level I mean not just the midfield but collectively. They're on course to get more points than they did last season, had a very good Europa League run so I think it's fair to say Tottenham have improved this season.

McNamara That Ghost...
05-05-2013, 11:28 AM
Dembele has been excellent whenever I've seen him play. Yes he's more of a defensive minded player but his dribbling with the ball is comparable to Modric's IMO. Sigurdsson has still made a difference in a few matches, I remember him assisting Bale's goal against us. In any case, now that Bale's been converted to a sort of creative midfielder/centre forward, the fact that Sigurdsson hasn't set the world alight doesn't matter that match.
And when I say they've gone up a level I mean not just the midfield but collectively. They're on course to get more points than they did last season, had a very good Europa League run so I think it's fair to say Tottenham have improved this season.

Dembele's passing isn't as good as Modric's, though they basically score the same amount of goals (which is next to nothing) granted, VDV sadly was very effective indeed, especially in dismantling the poorer teams in the league, which I don't think Dembele and Sigurdsson particularly have the ability to do.

Perhaps they've been inhibited because they have such poor strikers but I would suggest VDV and Modric were far more likely to create things between passes through the middle and most importantly, the interplay between those two players themselves.

Very good Europa League run? Not sure about that in truth. Last minute scrape against Lyon, hammered against Inter but squeaked through in extra time and couldn't beat Basel in either leg.

In most games they are very laborious, with long periods of matches looking like they are passing the players by. At the very least they are about where the were last season - I think they had better players last season but an inferior manager, that about cancels each other other out. They've scored less than last season, conceded more, possibly will lose the same amount.

I don't think they have shown much progress at all, certainly they haven't gone up a level - they wouldn't be fifth if they had.

milla
05-05-2013, 11:32 AM
Dembele's passing isn't as good as Modric's, though they basically score the same amount of goals (which is next to nothing) granted, VDV sadly was very effective indeed, especially in dismantling the poorer teams in the league, which I don't think Dembele and Sigurdsson particularly have the ability to do.

Perhaps they've been inhibited because they have such poor strikers but I would suggest VDV and Modric were far more likely to create things between passes through the middle and most importantly, the interplay between those two players themselves.

Very good Europa League run? Not sure about that in truth. Last minute scrape against Lyon, hammered against Inter but squeaked through in extra time and couldn't beat Basel in either leg.

In most games they are very laborious, with long periods of matches looking like they are passing the players by. At the very least they are about where the were last season - I think they had better players last season but an inferior manager, that about cancels each other other out. They've scored less than last season, conceded more, possibly will lose the same amount.

I don't think they have shown much progress at all, certainly they haven't gone up a level - they wouldn't be fifth if they had.

Wonder what would happen when Real Madrid and Zidane starts bidding for monkey boy, will he stays at Totnumb or will he joins the Marketing? :coffee:

Niall_Quinn
05-05-2013, 11:32 AM
The spuds have gone backwards. Any half decent team should have had CL qualification sorted by now. Arsenal and the spuds are about evenly matched, both very shit. But the chavs are the real joke. The fact they are yet again slugging it out with the likes of us is scandalous considering the cash they have spent. Long way to go for anyone outside Manchester to get a look in. Quality is very very low.

Marc Overmars
05-05-2013, 11:33 AM
Sperz are Sperz. Good enough to challenge but always likely to fall short at the end. The perception of their quality is often muddied by our stagnation.

We're not going anywhere but neither are they anytime soon.

Niall_Quinn
05-05-2013, 11:33 AM
Wonder what would happen when Real Madrid and Zidane starts bidding for monkey boy, will he stays at Totnumb or will he joins the Marketing? :coffee:

Off to Utd apparently and I can see that happening.

milla
05-05-2013, 11:37 AM
Off to Utd apparently and I can see that happening.

Weather is shite in Manchester, Madrid would be better IMO. Whilst there, he could practice his Spanish too.. :coffee:

Niall_Quinn
05-05-2013, 11:38 AM
Weather is shite in Manchester, Madrid would be better IMO. Whilst there, he could practice his Spanish too.. :coffee:

They have offered him prime spot in Manchester zoo and Brits are nicer to dumb animals than Spanish, he will not get eaten in Manchester for example.

milla
05-05-2013, 11:44 AM
They have offered him prime spot in Manchester zoo and Brits are nicer to dumb animals than Spanish, he will not get eaten in Manchester for example.

True but Manchester zoo is crowded with monkeys and chimps already, he would be a small monkey in big zoo. No one would notice him :coffee:

McNamara That Ghost...
05-05-2013, 12:04 PM

Out of those choices, I'd imagine he would want to go. Don't envy any club dealing with Levy though.

KSE Comedy Club
05-05-2013, 12:15 PM
True but Manchester zoo is crowded with monkeys and chimps already, he would be a small monkey in big zoo. No one would notice him :coffee:

Oh I don't know.

He'd be he only one wearing a football top.

milla
05-05-2013, 12:50 PM
Out of those choices, I'd imagine he would want to go. Don't envy any club dealing with Levy though.

We should hire Levy as our salesman though, can't believe how low we got for our big players. :coffee:

Power n Glory
05-05-2013, 04:51 PM
It's out of hands. I have serious doubts about Top 4 football for us with Chelsea winning today. I think they'll lose against Spurs and that's us down to 5th.

LDG
05-05-2013, 04:52 PM
Cheers Utd. You ****s.

We won't get top four now.

Marc Overmars
05-05-2013, 04:53 PM
3rd is gone.

Need a Chelsea result now on Weds.

Niall_Quinn
05-05-2013, 04:57 PM
That's what we get for not selling Sagna to the chavs.

cheesy bites
05-05-2013, 05:01 PM
So we're finished now right?

If Spurs win @ Chelsea, goodnight sweet CL.

Even a Spurs draw and I don't fancy our last 2 games.

sigh has it really come to this

Marc Overmars
05-05-2013, 05:02 PM
If Sperz win then we all become Stoke fans next weekend.

GP
05-05-2013, 05:03 PM
Win our last 2, which we will, and we'll be fine.

Chill.

LDG
05-05-2013, 05:04 PM

:sick:

cheesy bites
05-05-2013, 05:06 PM
I hope Wenger is dusting off his cheque book. Maybe we should try and tie up a signing or two, before they find out we're offering Steaua Bucharest on a Thursday night.

Master Splinter
:sick:

Worse than missing out on the CL tbf.

Joker
Win our last 2, which we will, and we'll be fine.

Chill.

Not if Tottenham beat Chelsea on Wednesday and then both they and Chelsea win all their remaining games.

Marc Overmars
05-05-2013, 05:07 PM
Agents Benteke and Why Man also need to be called in.

Power n Glory
05-05-2013, 05:08 PM
It's out of our hands now. We have to hope they drop more points.

Dennis Bendtner
05-05-2013, 05:08 PM
Chelsea 0-1 Tottenham (Bale 90+7)

Niall_Quinn
05-05-2013, 05:09 PM

Nah, rather get relegated.

cheesy bites
05-05-2013, 05:10 PM
Chelsea 0-1 Tottenham (Bale 90+7)

If that happens, I think I'll cry.

Özil's Panoramic View
05-05-2013, 05:12 PM
Chavs won't lose to the scum.

Of this I'm sure.

LDG
If that happens, I think I'll cry.

Just imagine the "heart" celebration in front of the camera, ears everywhere.

Niall_Quinn
Good chance of chavs and wanks drawing. We've got by far the most difficult run in though, because its us and we'll take the games lightly.

cheesy bites
05-05-2013, 05:13 PM
Just imagine the "heart" celebration in front of the camera, ears everywhere.

Martin Tyler screaming exultations of joy, Spurs end going nuts, "BAYULLLL BAYULLLL BAYULLLL"

oh no

LDG
05-05-2013, 05:15 PM
:ilt:

Master Splinter
05-05-2013, 05:16 PM
Heard on twitter that Newcastle are looking to sign Marton Fulop on emergency loan after Elliot picked up an injury yesterday.

Niall_Quinn
05-05-2013, 05:19 PM
Heard on twitter that Newcastle are looking to sign Marton Fulop on emergency loan after Elliot picked up an injury yesterday.

That better e true.

Marc Overmars
05-05-2013, 05:20 PM
On the plus side, a Chelsea win, followed by a Stoke draw leaves us only needing to beat Wigan to secure St Totteringham's Day.

Panic buttons only need to be pushed if Bale FC win.

LDG
05-05-2013, 05:21 PM
That better e true.

If Ollie/twitter says it's true, it's true. Ok :angry:

GP
05-05-2013, 05:21 PM
Not if Tottenham beat Chelsea on Wednesday and then both they and Chelsea win all their remaining games.

Thank you Catherine Obvious.

Niall_Quinn
05-05-2013, 05:26 PM
Thank you Catherine Obvious.

I knew a girl called Catherine once.

GP

She said no.

LDG

I knew her twice.

Lord Nelson
05-05-2013, 07:49 PM
On the plus side, a Chelsea win, followed by a Stoke draw leaves us only needing to beat Wigan to secure St Totteringham's Day.

Panic buttons only need to be pushed if Bale FC win.
Can't stand all this fucking "if's or but's" anymore! I thought the Chavs had been held today! That would have set us up nicely! Can't wait for this shit season to end ! We are brainwashed that 4th place is indeed a top trophy! What has happend to our once great club! :(

selassie
05-05-2013, 08:33 PM

The funny thing is I reckon the Spuds will beat Chelsea, I dunno...in normal circumstances I'd go for a home banker but I got a funny feeling they will go their and win.

This season has been so shit right from the moment we had our annual sale of our best players in the summer.

Marc Overmars
05-05-2013, 09:21 PM
Can't stand all this fucking "if's or but's" anymore! I thought the Chavs had been held today! That would have set us up nicely! Can't wait for this shit season to end ! We are brainwashed that 4th place is indeed a top trophy! What has happend to our once great club! :(

True but the 2 results I mentioned are not beyond all realms of doubt, I'm just clinging to any bit of hope really.

If Sperz are going to finish above us they'll have to do it the hard way, so lets see what those fuckers have got.

Letters
05-05-2013, 09:23 PM
They're on course to get more points than they did last season.So are we...

Letters
05-05-2013, 09:30 PM
Big week for Spurs. Win both games and they'll probably finish above us but
a) They usually bottle it
b) It's Chelsea away and Spurs away. One tough game, one banana (not racist) skin.

Obviously we're perfectly capable of cocking it up whatever Spurs do but we usually limp over the line somehow.

GP
05-05-2013, 09:36 PM
Big week for Spurs. Win both games and they'll probably finish above us but
a) They usually bottle it
b) It's Chelsea away and Spurs away. One tough game, one banana (not racist) skin.

Obviously we're perfectly capable of cocking it up whatever Spurs do but we usually limp over the line somehow.

I reckon Spurs will beat Spurs away.

Letters
05-05-2013, 09:46 PM
<_<

:getcoat:

Cripps_orig
05-05-2013, 10:29 PM
No

-Xs-
05-05-2013, 11:15 PM
Probably gonna go to the last day of the season now unless the spuds lose their next 2 games in a row which I cant see happening. (I see them getting a result vs Chelsea)
Although, even if they did lose to the chavs, we'd probably think that was it done and dusted and bottle it against Wigan.

McNamara That Ghost...
05-05-2013, 11:24 PM
Us. :lol:

We'll get the record points total to finish fifth.

Niall_Quinn
06-05-2013, 12:16 AM
Every chance Newcastle will have to get points to stay in the PL on the last day. That will be a tough match if things work out that way. It will come down to us facing up to the challenge without losing our bottle. There's a first time for everything.

-Xs-
06-05-2013, 12:44 AM
There's lots of connotations for the remaining games. I think us, spuds and chavs all got to play against at least one team who could be facing regulation. Currently any 1 of 8 teams could go down. If Sunderland get a result tonight, and Wigan tomorrow, it may even bring West ham and Swansea into it.

Once spuds have chelsea out the way, both us and the scum have our remaining matches against those in the thick of this battle. So we can't take either of it lightly.

Chelsea arguably have an easier final game with Everton just playing out the numbers.

Xhaka Can’t
06-05-2013, 08:04 AM
I reckon Spurs will beat Spurs away.

3-0?

Injury Time
06-05-2013, 08:59 AM
3-0?

5-2?

Munchies
06-05-2013, 11:33 AM
What do we hope for on Wednesday then ? Chelsea win ?

Letters
06-05-2013, 11:58 AM
Yeah. 3rd is gone anyway.

Niall_Quinn
06-05-2013, 12:21 PM
Yeah. 3rd is gone anyway.

Funny old league with some very poor teams in it, including everyone from position 3 down. The argument from the pundits is the general quality across the league has improved which is why the top teams are finding it more difficult. And yet we move into the last few games with the whole lower section of the table containing clubs that could still go down. Certainly an argument the quality has evened out but not a convincing argument it has improved. Then there's the evidence of the games themselves which puts a nail in the pundits' coffin. Wigan could beat us, the chavs could lack the heart for the tough schedule they have coming up, the spuds could choke as they usually do. Top 3 isn't settled yet but I wonder what the team who finished third can claim in terms of achievement having been so soundly beaten by the Manchester clubs and having struggled so hard against generally declining standards? I think we'll squeak 4th by a point.

The Wengerbabies
06-05-2013, 06:40 PM
Of course we will.

And we'll go through the same charade next year.

It's really tiresome.

Injury Time
06-05-2013, 08:23 PM

It's not hope, we need Chelsea to win, which means they won't.

-Xs-
06-05-2013, 11:19 PM
Top 3 isn't settled yet but I wonder what the team who finished third can claim in terms of achievement having been so soundly beaten by the Manchester clubs and having struggled so hard against generally declining standards? I think we'll squeak 4th by a point.

It's very unlikely, but even City could end up getting dragged into the squabble for the champions league if they have a mare end of season. They could still theoretically finish 5th.

Özil's Panoramic View
08-05-2013, 08:42 PM
In our hands now with two abysmal teams left to face.

Come on you Gunners.

Marc Overmars
08-05-2013, 08:44 PM
Outside chance of 3rd as well, but we'll need to call in Agent Benteke.

Ollie the Optimist
08-05-2013, 08:45 PM
back in our hands now.

if tottenham drop points at the weekend, and we beat wigan, thats it pretty much done.

spurs get 1 point, we get 3 = 3 point gap, 1 game left but goal difference is +13

if they lose, we win. its all over

Ollie the Optimist
08-05-2013, 08:48 PM
but just to shit on everyones parade here, the referee for the wigan game is none other then:

Mike dean

Niall_Quinn
08-05-2013, 08:49 PM
but just to shit on everyones parade here, the referee for the wigan game is none other then:

Mike dean

Marvellous, so the 13 goal difference counts for nothing.

Cripps_orig
08-05-2013, 08:49 PM
It's in our hands so the answer to the poll is.....no

LDG
08-05-2013, 08:52 PM

Mike dean

:haha:

Shaqiri Is Boss
08-05-2013, 08:55 PM

Mike dean

Ollie, I mean this in the nicest possible way but it gnaws at me inside whenever you do it; it's fucking than. THAN!

LDG
08-05-2013, 08:56 PM

Ollie the Optimist
08-05-2013, 08:56 PM
Ollie, I mean this in the nicest possible way but it gnaws at me inside whenever you do it; it's fucking than. THAN!

:lol:

Niall_Quinn
08-05-2013, 08:57 PM
Well it's better then Dean I suppose.

Maestro
08-05-2013, 08:57 PM

Master Splinter
08-05-2013, 09:08 PM
Well it's better then Dowd I suppose.

LDG
08-05-2013, 09:10 PM
Who would you prefer referee'd than?

Shaqiri Is Boss
08-05-2013, 09:12 PM
I hate you all.

Maestro
08-05-2013, 09:14 PM
I hate you all.

more then who?

Letters
08-05-2013, 09:14 PM
if tottenham drop points at the weekend, and we beat wigan, thats it pretty much done.

spurs get 1 point, we get 3 = 3 point gap, 1 game left but goal difference is +13

if they lose, we win. its all over
Thanks, professor.

Letters
08-05-2013, 09:15 PM
They're their

:console:

LDG
08-05-2013, 09:17 PM
They're their

:console:

So's you're face.

Lord Nelson
08-05-2013, 09:18 PM
Well it's better then Dowd I suppose.
Don't worry about the referee, Arsenal have the capability to fuck this chance up themselves! Gah! Why am I so negative? Damn you Arsene Wenger!!!

Grebbo
08-05-2013, 09:21 PM
If we have to win at Newcastle then I think we'll fuck it up. Hopefully Spurs will mess up at Stoke saving us from a very nervy final day.

Ollie the Optimist
08-05-2013, 09:23 PM
If we have to win at Newcastle then I think we'll fuck it up. Hopefully Spurs will mess up at Stoke saving us from a very nervy final day.

hope so, but if newcastle are still fighting for survivla, there is a chance that sunderland will be too. and their last game is spurs at home. a battle in the north east for north london

Marc Overmars
08-05-2013, 09:24 PM
Spurs have Sunderland at home.

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
08-05-2013, 09:25 PM

And we have Aaron Ramsey

Ollie the Optimist
08-05-2013, 09:26 PM

thought it was the other way round. whoops

-Xs-
09-05-2013, 01:16 AM
We should really be winning the last two games of the season against who we are playing

But this is the modern Arsenal. If Stoke do a number on the spuds, I fully expect us to hobble over the line with 2 limp fisted 0-0 draws, sucking any hope or life out of all who dare watch this abomination

WMUG
09-05-2013, 05:11 AM
hope so, but if newcastle are still fighting for survivla, there is a chance that sunderland will be too. and their last game is spurs at home. a battle in the north east for north london

If Newcastle are still fighting for survival on the last day, it's because we fucked up against Wigan and Spurs will most likely be ahead of us.

Hopefully it won't come to that.

Letters
09-05-2013, 06:51 AM
But this is the modern Arsenal. If Stoke do a number on the spuds, I fully expect us to hobble over the line with 2 limp fisted 0-0 draws, sucking any hope or life out of all who dare watch this abomination

:(

IBK
09-05-2013, 11:04 AM
We should really be winning the last two games of the season against who we are playing

I don't think there is a hope in hell of Stoke taking points from Sperz - Stoke are safe, aren't they?

The way I see it playing out is that we will also hand them a win against Sunderland by taking Wigan down next Tuesday.

Chelsea have a tricky tie away at a resurgent Villa on the weekend - so of all three CL chasing teams, that's the tie most likely to see points dropped. The Ferguson/Moyes news has handed Chelsea a home win in what otherwise would have been a tricky last tie of the season.

As I say, I think we will win at home against Wigan, because Martinez has one foot in the grave anyway, Wigan's defence is a calamity, and ours has tightened up. Even though we are a Viagra needing case going forwards, Wigan have to try to score - which is likely to give us joy against a football playing side.

And we need to win at home to make sure that Newcastle are safe - so we get a soft ride against a safe team just like the other 2 on the final day.

Prediction:

Chelsea 3rd - 73pts
Arsenal 4th - 73 pts (beaten on GD)
Sperz 5th - 72 pts

Marc Overmars
09-05-2013, 11:08 AM
Hopefully Stoke can get a draw which allows us to seal it against Wigan.

I won't be able to take another final day West Brom-esque game.

IBK
09-05-2013, 11:12 AM
Hopefully Stoke can get a draw which allows us to seal it against Wigan.

I won't be able to take another final day West Brom-esque game.

Have you seen how shit Stoke are these days? No chance.

Marc Overmars
09-05-2013, 11:16 AM
True but they're always capable of pubbing a result at their dump.

IBK
09-05-2013, 11:26 AM
True but they're always capable of pubbing a result at their dump.

Best I hope for is that bale gets taken out.

selassie
12-05-2013, 09:23 AM
If the Spuds win today which is kind of what I am expecting I am going to be extremely worried going into the final 2 games. Both are potential banana skins for us.

cheesy bites
12-05-2013, 02:27 PM
Anything but 2 wins, or else it's 5th for us.

Joker
12-05-2013, 02:29 PM
Yeah it's squeaky bum time now. We haven't won at Newcastle in the last two seasons while Wigan will be galvanised after their FA Cup win. We really need to be on top form to get 6 out of 6, no more coasting through games like we've been doing recently.

selassie
12-05-2013, 02:33 PM
Anything but 2 wins, or else it's 5th for us.

Yup, I expected the Spuds to win today and they will beat Sunderland too. We def need to win both games.

Lord Nelson
12-05-2013, 03:28 PM
Yup, I expected the Spuds to win today and they will beat Sunderland too. We def need to win both games.
I wish that c##t Adebayor had been shot in the fucking head ! Traitor fucking c##t! We are fucked now! Fifth place is ours. :(

Lord Nelson
12-05-2013, 03:42 PM
This is not just about fifth place. If the whores get CL, they will get £30m. They will more importantly keep Chimp Face. They will pull away from us because they have a chairman who is a fan and pushing the fucking scum in the right direction. We had this coming TBH, a complete lack of investment has done this. Fuck the board and fuck Arsene Wenger.

Marc Overmars
12-05-2013, 03:44 PM
No. Too much pressure for us to deal with in the final 2 games. We're in for a nasty finish.

Europa League is coming home.

fakeyank
12-05-2013, 04:04 PM
Time to bring out the lasagne..

Lord Nelson
12-05-2013, 04:28 PM
3rd is gone now.

I've got a nasty feeling we're not going to do it. The only reason I have a slight hope is because our competition is Spurs and they are bigger bottlers than we are.
Unfortunately , Spuds have proved they are no longer bottlers. AVB has turned them around big time.

Niall_Quinn
12-05-2013, 04:29 PM
It would have been so much nicer if one of our opponents could have secured a CL spot for us, now we have to do it ourselves which means we have a 50/50 chance at best. I have zero faith in any of the players and zero faith in the manager. Could come down to a couple of ref decisions in the end. Where's the leader in this team that can get the players in the right frame of mind? Ain't Wenger, sure as fuck ain't Vermaelen. Who are we looking at realistically? Wilshere, a kid? Arteta? Sagna? Rosicky? Poor, isn't it?

McNamara That Ghost...
12-05-2013, 04:39 PM
After Tottenham went seven points ahead of us, we should be thankful for this tbf.

fakeyank
12-05-2013, 04:46 PM
After Tottenham went seven points ahead of us, we should be thankful for this tbf.

Thankful to who?

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
12-05-2013, 04:53 PM
To Wenger and Bould for giving us a chance and not having us drift off into mid-table like Liverpool despite the fact that this is the weakest Arsenal side in the premiership era

fakeyank
12-05-2013, 05:00 PM
To Wenger and Bould for giving us a chance and not having us drift off into mid-table like Liverpool despite the fact that this is the weakest Arsenal side in the premiership era

Wenger pushes us into the ditch and then picks us up. We should be thankful for that?! Nice..

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
12-05-2013, 05:16 PM

Wenger pushes us into the ditch and then picks us up. We should be thankful for that?! Nice..

Pushes us into the ditch?.....so you expected this very average side to do better this season?

fakeyank
12-05-2013, 05:21 PM
Pushes us into the ditch?.....so you expected this very average side to do better this season?

No, I expected a better team to start the season with. I expected to have better coaching. I expected to have better tactics.

In short, I have been expecting a good manager to manage us for the last 5-6 seasons!

selassie
12-05-2013, 05:23 PM
This is not just about fifth place. If the whores get CL, they will get £30m. They will more importantly keep Chimp Face. They will pull away from us because they have a chairman who is a fan and pushing the fucking scum in the right direction. We had this coming TBH, a complete lack of investment has done this. Fuck the board and fuck Arsene Wenger.

Oh I totally agree. If those ****s get in CL they will spend in the Summer to cement their place. I have no doubt that if we miss out on CL this season we won't be seeing CL football for quite a long time.

Xhaka Can’t
12-05-2013, 05:24 PM

I'm guessing he expected Wenger not to strip the team of all the class it used to possess in order to leave us scrapping for 4th against a team we used to finish 15 to 30 points ahead of.

Lord Nelson
12-05-2013, 05:25 PM
No, I expected a better team to start the season with. I expected to have better coaching. I expected to have better tactics.

In short, I have been expecting a good manager to manage us for the last 5-6 seasons!
Good post! The only silver lining in us finishing fifth is that maybe, just maybe, Wenger will step down and the mother fucking board will leave us alone!

McNamara That Ghost...
12-05-2013, 05:31 PM
Thankful to who?

Tottenham for cocking it up. Again.

selassie
12-05-2013, 05:34 PM
Oh and my final answer in regards to will we finish in top 4 is NO. I don't think this team has it in them to pick up 6 points in the next 2 games, we will most definitely screw up one of these games IMHO. Sorry...just don't have any faith in the team or the manager when it comes to the crunch.

This team has pretty much failed in every big game for the past few seasons.

Dennis Bendtner
12-05-2013, 05:34 PM
I just can't see Wigan being flushed away so easily. We'll draw (allowing them to set up the miracle escape), everyone will shit themselves, including Tottenham who will draw against Hitler and we'll nick it by one point.

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
12-05-2013, 05:42 PM
Have you ever considered that the reason we have sold off these players is that we cannot afford to compete with teams that can offer them two or three times the current salary they are on here, and that it's no longer worth paying out for players on a five year contract who we might not be able to get rid of if they don't prove their worth (i.e Arshavin)

I don't suggest for a moment Wenger hasn't made us the fans victims of his intrasigence and failure to learn from his mistakes, but lets not kid ourselves that the two trophies worth winning are well out of reach for us financially.

selassie
12-05-2013, 05:51 PM
Have you ever considered that the reason we have sold off these players is that we cannot afford to compete with teams that can offer them two or three times the current salary they are on here, and that it's no longer worth paying out for players on a five year contract who we might not be able to get rid of if they don't prove their worth (i.e Arshavin)

I don't suggest for a moment Wenger hasn't made us the fans victims of his intrasigence and failure to learn from his mistakes, but lets not kid ourselves that the two trophies worth winning are well out of reach for us financially.

So we can't compete financially with the big boys blah blah. Yeah I accept that, but one thing I don't understand is why we are not making a concerted effort to replace some of these departing players with quality.

I mean we didn't even replace Song at all, why?

Our transfer policy is an absolute sham, it is without question worse than any of our rivals.

Moreover, if we use for example Arshavin or Gervinho as examples of why we shouldn't be buying and tieing up players on long term deals then you have to question our flawed transfer policy in the first place. We might aswell give up.

Yeah at the moment CL & PL are well out of our reach but that doesn't mean we shouldn't be doing everything in our power to compete.

Letters
12-05-2013, 06:05 PM
I'm guessing he expected Wenger not to strip the team of all the class it used to possess in order to leave us scrapping for 4th against a team we used to finish 15 to 30 points ahead of.
Tbf most of that is them getting better rather than us getting worse. Even now we could get more points this year than last, trouble is so could Spurs. Even then it's still in our (slippery) hands. We've bobbed around at about this level for about 5 years now and in some ways it's remarkable that we've asset stripped and Wenger's kept us about the same level, certainly in terms of points. Wenger's has many faults but the bumbling idiot some on here make him out to be couldn't have done that.

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
12-05-2013, 06:22 PM
So we can't compete financially with the big boys blah blah. Yeah I accept that, but one thing I don't understand is why we are not making a concerted effort to replace some of these departing players with quality.

I mean we didn't even replace Song at all, why?

Our transfer policy is an absolute sham, it is without question worse than any of our rivals.

Moreover, if we use for example Arshavin or Gervinho as examples of why we shouldn't be buying and tieing up players on long term deals then you have to question our flawed transfer policy in the first place. We might aswell give up.

Yeah at the moment CL & PL are well out of our reach but that doesn't mean we shouldn't be doing everything in our power to compete.

Because quality costs money forget transfer feees, transfer frees are nothing

We signed Song when he was 18 so fair to say he would have been on no more than 60k a week when he left us, to sign someone of the same sort of quality we are having to pay 100k a week + in wages because where as Song came to us as a raw recruit we would need an already established player to replace him with complete with greedy agent.

Arshavin was a good signing at the time, unfortunately he became a sloth

Gervinho again endemic of the fact that to replace the quality we sold we would have to pay wages that we can't afford, especially when you look of the wages of some our bargain basement signings

Denilson 40k a week, Squillaci 60k a week, Chamakh 70k a week (i doubt we wanted to pay them that much but the board and Wenger probably felt their cheap transfer fee negated the amount of money we would have to pay them).

That's it because of the greediness of players and their agents it's impossible to get even average players unless they are kids without paying them 50k a week plus. The exception of course being Arteta who took a pay cut to join us, the reason we required him to take a pay cut is that even with the sale of Fabregas, Nasri we still had a significantly high wage bill.

So as much as i think Wenger dithers at times in the transfer market, it is impossible to buy quality players....we can afford the transfer feees of one 25million pound player but they are likely to demand 150k a week.

GP
12-05-2013, 06:29 PM
Exactly. Which is why the signing of Rooney is absurd.

Xhaka Can’t
12-05-2013, 06:50 PM

We can afford to pay for star quality. With our bloated salary budget, we could have a spine of 3-4 world class players and a complement of good players around them instead of paying shite like Chamakh and Squillachi (remember him?) over 60k a week. Our ridiculous salary structure, championed by Wenger means we are paying well over the odds for mediocrity and in far too many cases, utter turds

Xhaka Can’t
12-05-2013, 06:56 PM
Tbf most of that is them getting better rather than us getting worse. Even now we could get more points this year than last, trouble is so could Spurs. Even then it's still in our (slippery) hands. We've bobbed around at about this level for about 5 years now and in some ways it's remarkable that we've asset stripped and Wenger's kept us about the same level, certainly in terms of points. Wenger's has many faults but the bumbling idiot some on here make him out to be couldn't have done that.

I disagree with the part in bold - most of it over the past ten years has been us getting worse. Our football is damned near unwatchable (probably one of the top reasons for giving up your ST). Spurs have got a bit better while we have got far worse. Even this 10w 2d 1L run we've been on because 4th is in danger has largely been full of putrid dirge.

We were a team full of world class players - now we have none. At best we have 1, matbe 2 world class players, but you can bet your ass, the minute they realise or even look like reakising their potential, they'll be sold.

Xhaka Can’t
12-05-2013, 06:58 PM
Exactly. Which is why the signing of Rooney is absurd.

The signing of Rooney would be absurd because he will be a complete wreck by the time he is 30. He is already past his best.

Grebbo
12-05-2013, 07:32 PM
No

Xhaka Can’t
12-05-2013, 08:01 PM
erm.....

....yes?

Grebbo
12-05-2013, 08:05 PM
Was answering whether we'll finish top 4

Xhaka Can’t
12-05-2013, 08:16 PM
I'm a muppet - forgot the thread title. :lol:

Grebbo
12-05-2013, 08:21 PM
As for signing Rooney, I agree he'd be a wreck after 30 and is past his best, however if we signed him he'd be our best player by a mile and we'd get a couple of good years out of him.

That couple of good years will probably cost us £50m so it's a non starter. Plus Rooney would never want to join us.

Dennis Bendtner
12-05-2013, 08:23 PM
Pardew has said he doesn't care if they lose 4-0 to us.

That bodes well. But we'd probably end up drawing 4-4 anyway.

Grebbo
12-05-2013, 08:25 PM
I think Newcastle also had their keeper sent off so they'll have their 3rd choice keeper against us.

It's Fulop all over again

Still think we'll fuck it up

GP
12-05-2013, 08:26 PM
History and current form says we'll be fine.

McNamara That Ghost...
12-05-2013, 08:26 PM
http://www.glory-glory.co.uk/showthread.php?4286-Pardew-I-dont-care-if-Arsenal-win-4-0-next-weekend&p=360497#post360497

Five pages. :lol:

Marc Overmars
12-05-2013, 08:28 PM
Agent Pardiola. :bow:

IBK
12-05-2013, 08:54 PM
As for signing Rooney, I agree he'd be a wreck after 30 and is past his best, however if we signed him he'd be our best player by a mile and we'd get a couple of good years out of him.

That couple of good years will probably cost us £50m so it's a non starter. Plus Rooney would never want to join us.

If only because he is a winner - and has a desire that we haven't seen in any of our players since 2005. Wouldn't want it to happen, though.

Grebbo
12-05-2013, 08:58 PM
If only because he is a winner - and has a desire that we haven't seen in any of our players since 2005. Wouldn't want it to happen, though.

You wouldn't want us to sign a player that's miles better than the players we've got?

Cripps_orig
12-05-2013, 09:01 PM
Looks unlikely

Lord Nelson
12-05-2013, 09:03 PM
http://www.glory-glory.co.uk/showthread.php?4286-Pardew-I-dont-care-if-Arsenal-win-4-0-next-weekend&p=360497#post360497

Five pages. :lol:
Spuds should not worry, we will fuck up against Wigan anyway! :)

Marc Overmars
12-05-2013, 09:14 PM

I would. If only for the sheer gasps of WTF that would echo around the country.

In all seriousness, it's a non starter but I don't think we're well stocked enough to turn our noses up at a player of Rooney's quality. He is very good and has a desire to win that is unmatched by anyone in our squad, but obviously he's a bit emo and not the type of player Wenget would relish managing.

No doubt the likes of Wheelchair and Oxlade would love having him around though.

Cripps_orig
12-05-2013, 09:15 PM
Wazza on his day is awesome.

Unfortunately his day has been and gone.

He's peaked. He's on a downward spiral. He'll be playing for Fulham soon

selassie
12-05-2013, 09:16 PM
Because quality costs money forget transfer feees, transfer frees are nothing

We signed Song when he was 18 so fair to say he would have been on no more than 60k a week when he left us, to sign someone of the same sort of quality we are having to pay 100k a week + in wages because where as Song came to us as a raw recruit we would need an already established player to replace him with complete with greedy agent.

Arshavin was a good signing at the time, unfortunately he became a sloth

Gervinho again endemic of the fact that to replace the quality we sold we would have to pay wages that we can't afford, especially when you look of the wages of some our bargain basement signings

Denilson 40k a week, Squillaci 60k a week, Chamakh 70k a week (i doubt we wanted to pay them that much but the board and Wenger probably felt their cheap transfer fee negated the amount of money we would have to pay them).

That's it because of the greediness of players and their agents it's impossible to get even average players unless they are kids without paying them 50k a week plus. The exception of course being Arteta who took a pay cut to join us, the reason we required him to take a pay cut is that even with the sale of Fabregas, Nasri we still had a significantly high wage bill.

So as much as i think Wenger dithers at times in the transfer market, it is impossible to buy quality players....we can afford the transfer feees of one 25million pound player but they are likely to demand 150k a week.

We'll have to agree to disagree.

You have pretty much stated why we are in the mess with our transfer & wage policy, throwing away millions of pounds a year on duds and then complaining about the state of the market?!

I don't agree that a 20-25million player would command 150k per week. For example, Juan Mata is one player we could and should have signed...we dithered as per normal. He most certainly isn't earning anything close to that wage at Chelsea and they tend to throw money around like it's going out of fashion.

Players that trade for that kind of fee (20-25million) tend to be 2nd tier players, ones with potential to be world stars. Aside from clubs such as Citeh & Chavs, who is going to pay that kind of wage, I don't even think the Spanish clubs would.

I personally feel Arsene has gambled one step too far in the market and we are going to suffer the consequences now.

Marc Overmars
12-05-2013, 09:22 PM
Wazza on his day is awesome.

Unfortunately his day has been and gone.

He's peaked. He's on a downward spiral. He'll be playing for Fulham soon

Fergie washing his hands with him says it all.

Cripps_orig
12-05-2013, 09:47 PM
Re: Pardew: I dont care, if Arsenal win 4-0 next weekend
I have sent an e-mail to the FA and Premier League via their websites regarding his statement. maybe if enough people do this he will be sanctioned in some way. I am not holding my breadth but at least I will know I tried to metaphorically smack that **** in the face.from Maccys link above.

-Xs-
12-05-2013, 11:44 PM
What will probably happen is that we will lose against Wigan (spuds fans will be touching cloth all week with the 4th place trophy in their grasp), then beat Newcastle at the weekend, with the Spuds losing to Sunderland.

Naturally, they will all cry foul, talk about how much of a disgrace it is, that Pardew should be sacked, investigated, yada yada yada. They will all calm down after a few days and that will be that.

Japan Shaking All Over
13-05-2013, 01:46 AM
Just knew we couldnt rely on Pulis's mob of hooligans to do us any favours. . .reckon we will score a ton aganst Wigan, so obviously this is going down to wire, we got the Pardew's pussies and Scum have Di Canios neo Nazis. . .

Rooney? Why not? we prance around every single bit of transfer business we do so ts not like is going to happen

IBK
13-05-2013, 10:51 AM
You wouldn't want us to sign a player that's miles better than the players we've got?

Nope - he's a busted flush...and a c unt.

IBK
13-05-2013, 10:52 AM
Just knew we couldnt rely on Pulis's mob of hooligans to do us any favours. . .reckon we will score a ton aganst Wigan, so obviously this is going down to wire, we got the Pardew's pussies and Scum have Di Canios neo Nazis. . .

Rooney? Why not? we prance around every single bit of transfer business we do so ts not like is going to happen

In fairness, they almost did - and Spurs were fortunate that their best player got sent off, when his first offence did not merit a yellow.

Master Splinter
14-05-2013, 02:00 PM
Wenget on the top 4 outcome:

Wenger: Fifth place a worthy achievement

Arsene Wenger feels missing out on a Champions League place this season would not be disastrous for the club. Not only would it be a huge financial blow, it would mean finishing below their north London rivals Tottenham for the first time in Wenger's reign.

However, the Arsenal boss is not overly worried about the consequences, stating, "Fifth is not globally harmful. You tell me there is a 50% chance we become a forgotten club, but I must tell you we will still be in the upper 20% of the Premier League. As well you know, Arsenal.com is the most popular football website in the world and you see boys in Tanzania wearing our kit. What does this tell you? I cannot say. But yes, it shows we are up there."

"The Champions League is important yes, but finishing fifth is also a good evidence of our consistency," continues the Frenchman. "We have given the fans an exceptional legacy of Champions League football. Do they have a right to be disappointed if we do not qualify? I will not speak about this. Is disappointment a quality? I believe no. You [the gathered press] say I only focus on the top four, but now if I say it is not essential you kill me! I have qualified seventeen times, I do not have to justify myself to you."

And on the possibility of Tottenham finishing above their fierce neighbours?

"First, I must say we are not fierce. We are respectful to the opposition always. We will respect Spurs if they finish ahead of us. Will I appear on their celebratory DVD as little bit talking head and congratulate them? I do not know about this. Will Christian Gross leave a foreword in my book, which I will one day release?"

With or without top-level European football, Wenger is adamant that his squad does not require a major overhaul.

"I feel we are not far from showing a top, top, top level of consistency. We are on an outstanding run and they have shown me now what they can do when they leave the nervous zone. Theo, Jack, Tomas, Carl: these boys are young and will grow. Will we buy? What has buying done for QPR? That is a sign that buying is not the answer. If we see a special talent, we always look closely. Is Jovetic a special player? I do not watch Serie A or Youtube compilations featuring 23-year-old Montenegrin forwards."

http://www.championsleague.ca/2013/05/12/arsene-wenger-reveals-his-end-of-season-plans-88342-6743

Shaqiri Is Boss
14-05-2013, 02:07 PM
You're fast becoming my favourite Wenger impressionist on this board.

Lord Nelson
14-05-2013, 02:22 PM
In fairness, they almost did - and Spurs were fortunate that their best player got sent off, when his first offence did not merit a yellow.

My nerves are already starting to jangle for tonight!
Come on Arsenal!! :pray::pray:

Niall_Quinn
14-05-2013, 03:13 PM
You're fast becoming my favourite Wenger impressionist on this board.

LOL - that one was true, follow the link.

-Xs-
14-05-2013, 11:21 PM
All down to the last game, which ours is arguably the more difficult. Shame we couldn't have had the final game at home like the others.

McNamara That Ghost...
15-05-2013, 07:42 AM
If we win 1-2 and Chelsea draw 0-0, I think we're due to have a play-off to decide third place. :lol:

I'd have thought it would go on head-to-head but possibly not.

GP
15-05-2013, 07:58 AM
A playoff?

Has that ever happened?

Letters
15-05-2013, 08:21 AM
If we win 1-2 and Chelsea draw 0-0, I think we're due to have a play-off to decide third place. :lol:

I'd have thought it would go on head-to-head but possibly not.
3rd place trophy :bow:

McNamara That Ghost...
15-05-2013, 09:02 AM
A playoff?

Has that ever happened?

I wouldn't have thought so, odd that it has never happened for teams near the bottom of the table though where teams tend to be bunched up around the same points.

Cripps_orig
15-05-2013, 09:11 AM
Should go on alphabetical order surely. Does before a game is played in a season

McNamara That Ghost...
15-05-2013, 09:17 AM
I wish it did. We should get 15 points each season for remaining as 'Arsenal'.

Anyway, The FA have confirmed the play-off would indeed be the case. :haha:

Marc Overmars
15-05-2013, 09:19 AM
A play off would be quite cool.

GP
15-05-2013, 09:24 AM
A play off would be quite cool.

Yeah, for Chelsea.

Marc Overmars
15-05-2013, 09:28 AM

True.

Munchies
15-05-2013, 10:39 AM
Fa would love that, another way to get more cash out of us to go Wembley. Chelsea should get 3rd if they've beaten us home/away, but I wouldn't mindd :good:

Championship play-offs are already a farce.

Niall_Quinn
15-05-2013, 10:54 AM
A playoff? Why? There are already rules to deal with this. How about a pre-playoff qualification round where teams that have nothing to do with it are invited in? A bit like the CL where the non-champions all get a go? Could be a real earner.

WMUG
15-05-2013, 02:38 PM
There's no way Wembley would be filled for that. It'd probably be Villa Park or something.

Old FA Cup Semi Finals :bow:

Niall_Quinn
15-05-2013, 03:48 PM
When does the summer transfer window open? Could the chavs buy 200billiontrillion worth of playas (as usual) and play them in this match?

GP
19-05-2013, 04:55 PM
Yes

Marc Overmars
19-05-2013, 05:03 PM
I don't know for certain, but I'm going to say yes.

Cripps_orig
19-05-2013, 05:05 PM
Never in doubt

LDG
19-05-2013, 05:05 PM
No

The Wengerbabies
19-05-2013, 05:06 PM
Same again next year :rolleyes:

McNamara That Ghost...
19-05-2013, 05:13 PM
:scarf:

Spuds. :haha:

GP
19-05-2013, 05:42 PM
14 people said no :doh:

Letters
19-05-2013, 05:44 PM
:gp:

Me :bow:

Niall_Quinn
19-05-2013, 05:45 PM

That didn't stop remy

Master Splinter
19-05-2013, 05:55 PM
Terry literally staked his life on us not qualifying this year.

WUMger got one over him.

Özil's Panoramic View
19-05-2013, 06:29 PM
That didn't stop remy

Neither the Judas ****.

IBK
19-05-2013, 06:59 PM
Never waivered. This finish was very predictable, TBH.

Xhaka Can’t
19-05-2013, 07:35 PM

Thats what she said!!!

Grebbo
20-05-2013, 12:49 PM
Was funny watching Sky's flashback to 2006 and the 'Lassagne' final game.

What struck me was the quality of that Arsenal team!! Sol, Henry, Pires, Cesc, Cashley etc and we went into the final day one point behind Spurs!! WTF!! Makes this current squad's achievements look monumental!!

Who finished above us that season?? Why were we so shit even with those players??

It wasn't that long ago but I can hardly remember that season other than it being our last one at Highbury.

Marc Overmars
20-05-2013, 12:55 PM
Chelsea, United and Liverpool were above us, by some distance as well.

That was a weird season, we just packed up the league completely and put all our energy into the CL run.

Sol went mental, Pires got old, Cashley wanted out and Cesc was a nipper. Henry was a beast though as you'd expect, pretty much RVC'd us over the line.

Grebbo
20-05-2013, 12:57 PM
:good:

Thanks

Grebbo
20-05-2013, 02:03 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BKtg4gUCcAAj5rK.jpg:large

Niall_Quinn
20-05-2013, 02:21 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BKtg4gUCcAAj5rK.jpg:large

Mmmmm, fossilised cake.