PDA

View Full Version : Match Reaction vs QPR

Joker
04-05-2013, 06:26 PM
Another shit performance but another win. Over the last 2 months I've been saying that our crap performances will eventually catch up on us but to be fair we seem to continually eek out these victories despite playing dreadful football.

Walcott, the 2 centre halves and Chesney come out with credit. The rest were pretty shit.

McNamara That Ghost...
04-05-2013, 06:27 PM
Absolute crap but it's another away win (how many in a row?). Near rock solid defensively though, so maybe this comes with the territory for teams like that.

McNamara That Ghost...
04-05-2013, 06:29 PM
Theo in a QPR shirt. :lol:

Static
04-05-2013, 06:30 PM
The 3 points are allllllll that matter. 1 nil to the Arsenal!!!!!!!!

Master Splinter
04-05-2013, 06:31 PM
Playing horribly and winning is not all it's said to be.

Come back 70% possession, 20 clear chances and getting caught out by a solitary counter/wonder goal, all is forgiven.

Master Splinter
04-05-2013, 06:31 PM
Theo in a QPR shirt. :lol:

Don't let Ollie know.

Munchies
04-05-2013, 06:32 PM
When is giroud back ?

RomfordPele
Not much to say really. Crap team, crap performance, but starting to look like we might do just enough to justify the status quo.

McNamara That Ghost...
When is giroud back ?

Barcodes away.

Lord Nelson
04-05-2013, 06:33 PM
Another shit performance but another win. Over the last 2 months I've been saying that our crap performances will eventually catch up on us but to be fair we seem to continually eek out these victories despite playing dreadful football.
Walcott, the 2 centre halves and Chesney come out with credit. The rest were pretty shit.
This will sound really stupid and traitorous, but part of me wants us to drop points for two reasons !
1) deep down, I got a feeling we will get 5th place anyway. So when we keep eeking out lucky wins, it is prolonging the agony!
2) even if we do qualify for CL, will we be putting up with this shit next year? Meh! I dunno!

Niall_Quinn
04-05-2013, 06:33 PM
Can't recall seeing a worse game of footballwhatever that was. A new low for the sport.

Joker
04-05-2013, 06:35 PM
This will sound really stupid and traitorous, but part of me wants us to drop points for two reasons !
1) deep down, I got a feeling we will get 5th place anyway. So when we keep eeking out lucky wins, it is prolonging the agony!
2) even if we do qualify for CL, will we be putting up with this shit next year? Meh! I dunno!

I can understand that, I just can't get particularly excited about the 4th place trophy tbh. Although if we don't make the Champions League Wenger will probably say we can't spend much this summer because we no longer have the income from the Champions League.

McNamara That Ghost...
04-05-2013, 06:38 PM
'Arry not happy with Ray Stubbs. :lol:

fakeyank
04-05-2013, 06:38 PM
I am not excited about getting 4th either and then getting knocked out the first time we meet a decent opposition. What I CANNOT bear to think about is finishing behind the scums! I despise them with the bottom of my arse! Looks like if we finish 5th, they will finish 4th or 3rd and I cannot bear the one last remaining hope we all are living with- St. Totteringhams day!

McNamara That Ghost...
04-05-2013, 06:39 PM
'Arry's in a full on meltdown.

He's angry too.

topgun
04-05-2013, 06:40 PM

I can see where you are coming from,but I dont want to see my team drop points,your point about the CL is a concern though.:oldboy:

Niall_Quinn
04-05-2013, 06:41 PM
'Arry not happy with Ray Stubbs. :lol:

He's another one trying to pull the wool over everyone's eyes. He's actually just accused whoever gagged at that dire non-event of not understanding football. Well I think we understand it all too well. The game is gone and now it's just about the money and the crooks like Redknapp who have no respect for what used to be a magnificent sport. I mean look at Utd. Ordinary. And they've walked it. Frankly i couldn't give a shit what any English (so-called) team does from here on. I prefer watching Dortmund.

Dennis Bendtner
04-05-2013, 06:41 PM
http://i.minus.com/iQGpHNYIj8zMF.gif

Not much more to be said.

Munchies
04-05-2013, 06:44 PM
http://i.minus.com/iQGpHNYIj8zMF.gif

Not much more to be said.

We all know what Wenger will do after he retires, a fitness Dvd :lol:

Niall_Quinn
04-05-2013, 06:46 PM
I am not excited about getting 4th either and then getting knocked out the first time we meet a decent opposition. What I CANNOT bear to think about is finishing behind the scums! I despise them with the bottom of my arse! Looks like if we finish 5th, they will finish 4th or 3rd and I cannot bear the one last remaining hope we all are living with- St. Totteringhams day!

In truth, the race with the spuds is like watching two turds flushing down a bowl and hoping one of the turds (our turd) floats.

Come on our turd!

Munchies
04-05-2013, 06:47 PM
I'd laugh if somehow, somehow, we get 2nd

Master Splinter
04-05-2013, 06:48 PM
Come on our turd!

Mindless Optimism :bow:.

Niall_Quinn
04-05-2013, 06:51 PM
I'd laugh if somehow, somehow, we get 2nd

The fact we are even in the vicinity with a team as shite as this is a stark reminder of the profit taking bastards we have in charge at this club. Just 2-3 decent players or even hanging on to the ones they sold.

Özil's Panoramic View
04-05-2013, 06:56 PM
Shit performance, but what's new?

In the end, invaluable 3 points gained today.

Mancs to see off the chavs tomorrow and we'll be in pole position for 3rd place, leaving said chavs and the scum to battle for 4th which I pray the chavs will get.

Niall_Quinn
04-05-2013, 06:59 PM
Shit performance, but what's new?

In the end, invaluable 3 points gained today.

Mancs to see off the chavs tomorrow and we'll be in pole position for 3rd place, leaving said chavs and the scum to battle for 4th which I pray the chavs will get.

Our key match was vs Everton and we fucked it. So yes, the biggie now is Mancs vs Chavs. We did everything we could to help them win the title. Will they have the decency to open a CL gap we can fall through?

Ollie the Optimist
04-05-2013, 07:04 PM
1-0 TO THE ARSENAL,

fucking get in, an away win, twitchy going into twitch overdrive and knocking the scum below us again.

fuck yes. RED ARMY

RomfordPele
04-05-2013, 07:07 PM
Narked off with podolski's body language today. Very lethargic and half-arsed.

I think we might have got ourselves another arshavin - quality player who just can't be bothered anymore.

Cripps_orig
04-05-2013, 07:14 PM
Didn't watch the game.

All I can say us

THEO THEO THEO

love this guy. 20 for the season. And he will get much better.

A legend in the making

Ollie the Optimist
04-05-2013, 07:15 PM
he scored after 20 seconds, then spent the rest of the game doing fuck all

Niall_Quinn
04-05-2013, 07:16 PM
Narked off with podolski's body language today. Very lethargic and half-arsed.

I think we might have got ourselves another arshavin - quality player who just can't be bothered anymore.

Yeah, he was really poor. I was trying to figure out of he was injured, unfit or just couldn't give a fuck.

Niall_Quinn
04-05-2013, 07:19 PM
Didn't watch the game.

All I can say us

THEO THEO THEO

A legend in the making

There were times watching Walcott's display today when I was considering signing up for a trial at Arsenal. Because if he (a player who cannot kick a ball, cannot pass a ball, cannot cross a ball, cannot deliver a corner, cannot deliver a free kick, cannot do a single intelligent thing on the pitch AND - not 100% sure if it's just bad discipline and laziness but it looks it to me - has lost a yard of pace) can get a game then they'll be salivating over me. I'm assured 200K a week. Yes, I'm a lousy footballer but I can at least kick a ball.

Cripps_orig
04-05-2013, 07:21 PM
Oh dear

Özil's Panoramic View
04-05-2013, 07:22 PM
he scored after 20 seconds, then spent the rest of the game doing fuck all

This is a blatant lie.

He was a bit better than his usual shit self today, and looked the only player to double our lead.

Ollie the Optimist
04-05-2013, 07:24 PM
This is a blatant lie.

its really not. i felt all our players were shit today bar cazorla, arteta and kos. but theo offers nothing, the amount of times sagna was left on the right flank with no one there because theo just goes centre is beyond a joke.

Cripps_orig
04-05-2013, 07:24 PM
This is a blatant lie.

Remember who you're talking to

Özil's Panoramic View
04-05-2013, 07:27 PM
its really not. i felt all our players were shit today bar cazorla, arteta and kos. but theo offers nothing, the amount of times sagna was left on the right flank with no one there because theo just goes centre is beyond a joke.

Clever way to deflect the blame of super shit Sagan.

I usually give Theo the stick, but he did put in a shift today and troubled the QPR defence to an extent.

Niall_Quinn
04-05-2013, 07:30 PM
Remember who you're talking to

Somebody who will cheer the club on when even die hards have dropped dead with the effort of trying to support this mound of shit. If Ollie has no time for Walcott then there's something seriously, seriously wrong with Walcott.

Obviously, given he's total shit. Typical, the one player we manage to hang on to. Some sick joke.

Ollie the Optimist
04-05-2013, 07:31 PM

I usually give Theo the stick, but he did put in a shift today and troubled the QPR defence to an extent.

he didnt trouble them at all. he never ran at them, the ox offered more threat then theo did all match. sagna wasnt great, but if you watch, he never has an out ball when forward, because theo runs centre, meaning sagna when under pressure has to go right back to per

Niall_Quinn
04-05-2013, 07:31 PM

Sagna was a lot more solid today, not that he was up against much. Of course I don't mean he was decent, but he wasn't a disaster zone. So that's progress.

Cripps_orig
04-05-2013, 07:34 PM
Impressive reading this is.

The crap the theo haters will come out with to belittle him after he's just won us a game and has 20 for the season is hilarious.

Keep it up guys.

Ollie the Optimist
04-05-2013, 07:36 PM

The crap the theo haters will come out with to belittle him after he's just won us a game and has 20 for the season is hilarious.

Keep it up guys.

fair enough, we are winning so lets not blame anyone then. wenger for a new contract then. hes winning games so we cant complain

Niall_Quinn
04-05-2013, 07:42 PM

Keep it up guys.

Just imagine what we could achieve if we replaced Walcott with a proper footballer? That's what we should be looking at, not trying to cover Walcott's glaring failings because he's scored again today courtesy of a Green fuck up. Yes. Theo almost fucked it up as usual but the keeper rescued him.

Cripps_orig
04-05-2013, 07:44 PM
I repeat

Hilarious

Haven't seen the goal tbh so wouldn't know of any possible fuck up but don't care. We scored and we won. As a gooner I'm happy.

Munchies
04-05-2013, 07:59 PM
We have a 10 day gap now until Wigan at home, whilst they play in the Fa Cup final 3 days before that.

We really should win it , if we do, top 4 will look even more likely . Newcastle away though is tough.

Joker
04-05-2013, 08:06 PM
Walcott was our greatest threat today, how the fuck anyone can say he did nothing after the goal is baffling. He hit the post and forced Green into a good save in the 2nd half. I can only assume people are wumming tbh.

Joker
04-05-2013, 08:08 PM
he didnt trouble them at all. he never ran at them, the ox offered more threat then theo did all match. sagna wasnt great, but if you watch, he never has an out ball when forward, because theo runs centre, meaning sagna when under pressure has to go right back to per

The Ox lost possession every time he was on the ball.

Niall_Quinn
04-05-2013, 08:12 PM
Walcott was our greatest threat today, how the fuck anyone can say he did nothing after the goal is baffling. He hit the post and forced Green into a good save in the 2nd half. I can only assume people are wumming tbh.

No, people are getting frustrated with a player who can't do the very basics. He's on the pitch so statistically from time to time his fuck ups will end in a positive outcome. It's the 99% that doesn't that's the problem. Most of what he did today was unbelievably poor. Typical since he got his contract. And that pace, where is it? Earlier in the season he used to be second to the ball, now he doesn't even try.

Niall_Quinn
04-05-2013, 08:13 PM
The Ox lost possession every time he was on the ball.

That's true too. He was very poor when he came on, not that he had much time.

Marc Overmars
04-05-2013, 08:36 PM
I was too young to remember Arsenal under George Graham but I'd wager this Wenger side is pretty close to that. Brilliant start, but not much to say after that. Should have been ruthless enough to put them to the sword but once again we were trolled.

Somehow our stubborn defending should be enough to see us over the line, but we really need to strengthen our attacking options this summer.

Delighted with the result which is the main thing, but I remember a time we could take solace in the quality of football we were able to play...not anymore.

Niall_Quinn
04-05-2013, 08:42 PM
Nah, Graham's teams were efficient even if they were a bit bland. It was the same in that you never went into a game being confident of the result but the players were all well drilled and had a strong grasp of the basics. We could cross and get a striker in the box, for example. Not so with this team. The pointlessness of that endless pass, pass, pass, waste it play in the non danger areas is something new and awful.

Marc Overmars
04-05-2013, 08:52 PM
I don't know why Wenget thinks he can get, what is largely a group of grafters, to play in such a way that requires a lot of precision and intelligence.

As I said the other week, our defending will be the main reason should we make the top 4 this season. Never thought I'd be more comfortable with a Wenget defence than attack.

Munchies
04-05-2013, 09:16 PM
Yep, Kos/Mert is a good pairing. Put Vermaelen in and its shit again.

I can see TV leaving in the summer, have to keep Kos, though knowing our board, a £20m offer from Bayern may be enough.

Cripps_orig
04-05-2013, 09:18 PM

Pretty much.

Cripps_orig
04-05-2013, 09:24 PM
Arsène Wenger addressed the media after his side carved out a 1-0 victory away at Queens Park Rangers.

on the result…
We scored early and started well. After that, QPR played with quality and pride. They were fearless. You could see that this side had played with special pressure and fear in recent months. They had the quality to stay in the Premier League and they made life difficult for us. We had good determination and focus. We lacked a few final balls in the final third. But I expected a difficult game and I was not disappointed. Sometimes when a team goes down they played well in the game after and win. You could see that as Reading won away from home. We need a special focus to win this game.

on concerns on the performance…
The pitch did not help. I believe that QPR are a better team than people expects. But we did not give many chances away. Overall we played a little bit conscious that points were vital and we could not make any mistake. It was detrimental to our offensive game but we had a sound defensive game today.

on this result affecting Chelsea on Sunday…
It puts you under pressure because you have to make a result. But Chelsea play a lot and when you have many, many games you don’t think about it. You just go into the next one. That is the advantage. When you have a week to wait the nerves can play a bigger part.

on if Tottenham scoring late on was in the players' minds before the game…
I knew the score but for us it's the same if Tottenham draw or win. We have to win our game. We can only focus on what is needed for us - win the game and prepare for the next one. We've done that for a long time now. We're on a very strong run and we're up for it. We're ready for a fight and the team is highly focused to do it.

on Walcott reaching 20 goals for the season…
He is 24 now. He's a mature player. He has improved his finishing. He has improved his ability to resist to pressure from the opponent. It was a similar goal to the one he scored on Sunday against Man United.

on concerns about Podolski…
He has no injury problem. It's only his second game now up front. We have to give him a bit of time.

on if momentum will play a crucial role…
We definitely have momentum. If you look at the points we have made compared to two months ago. We are going for it and we make the points. Away from home recently, we've won everywhere - at Fulham, at Sunderland, at Swansea and at QPR. It [was a] derby which was difficult to win.

on Tottenham and Chelsea playing multiple times before Arsenal take to the field next…
I cannot even tell you what the result I wish [for]. Of course I want a result that goes for us, but again, it's not because I wish something that you will get the result. A long time ago we focused on us getting the maximum points. We have nearly done that because we dropped two points against Everton and two points against Man United. Apart from that, we've won every single game and we have to continue to do that.

on if he can remember Arsenal scoring as quickly as Walcott did…
No. I can't remember. Unfortunately I waited for the second goal but it never came!
why do we struggle against QPR?

Have we scored more than 1 in a match against them since they've been back in the pl?

Munchies
04-05-2013, 09:32 PM
Walcott is 24 ... wow, time flies !

Cripps_orig
04-05-2013, 09:33 PM
Youth project :bow:

Arguably the only success

Power n Glory
04-05-2013, 10:04 PM
Walcott scored the only and had the most shots on target out of all of our players. It got us 3 points and keeps us in the hunt for the CL spot. Anyone that has said he contributes nothing needs their head testing. It's beyond moronic.

Cripps_orig
04-05-2013, 10:34 PM
Just seen the goal

Hardly a Green howler

Another shocker from NQ.

LDG
04-05-2013, 10:58 PM
Lucky bastards.

Rubbish.

Non existent midfield. Shit attack. Luckily (and very weirdly) we have to rely on kos and co again.

And they weren't great.

Dire.

LDG
04-05-2013, 11:01 PM
Didn't watch the game.

All I can say us

THEO THEO THEO

A legend in the making

I'm amazed you haven't attracted a woman yet.

Munchies
04-05-2013, 11:02 PM
Just saw this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bGzG6oCuXfg

Poor guy :haha:

Munchies
04-05-2013, 11:20 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysVSGq2MsMM

:haha:

Grebbo
04-05-2013, 11:22 PM

Cripps_orig
04-05-2013, 11:26 PM

Ok :blink:

selassie
04-05-2013, 11:28 PM
We started well but faded and ended the game under a bit of pressure. To be honest, Im not fussed about the performances, just want us to get past the finishing post.

Still too close to call, the Chavs vs Spuds game will settle top 4 IMHO, Im obviously hoping for a Chelsea win as I think they'll finish 3rd regardless.

The Emirates Gallactico
04-05-2013, 11:37 PM

On a serious note I'm worried. Wigan and Newcastle are both fighting for survival and won't make things easy for us. We've got the hardest run in out of the three of us.

GP
05-05-2013, 12:19 AM
We won. Fuck everything else. Especially Letters.

GP
05-05-2013, 12:37 AM
Also, Koscielny is a magnificent player. Our best CB by a mile.

BOBN
05-05-2013, 06:02 AM
Only arsenal fans would consider goalscoring "nothing".

Weve won as many trophies in the last 8 years as our clueless, footballing snob fans deserve.

BOBN
05-05-2013, 06:09 AM
And proof all that blame on the midfield for us conceding too many over the last 3 years has been largely bull and typical clueless fan favourite playing and scapegoating.

People just didnt what to blame that fraud "verminator" :haha:. They decided he was a good player and were sticking to that. Glad hes been found out. Now ship him out.

Power n Glory
05-05-2013, 06:13 AM
Wenger has some decisions to make next year. Podolski is going to find himself on the bench a lot next season if he keeps playing like that. It's only his third game up front but he's struggled to get a shot on goal and wasn't moving well at all. He's not suited as a winger imo and if he can't play as a striker, I struggle to think where else he can play. He'll have to show something more next game because I have a feeling Wenger is considering that £12m bid. It would be silly to sell after one season but I just get the feeling Wenger has seen enough of him on the flanks which is why he's on the bench so much.

Walcott got another goal and was unlucky not to score another but his role on the right has really changed this season. He's playing much more in the opponents half and on the shoulder of the defender more. More like a wide second striker and I'm convinced it's what Wenger wants him to do because he's hinted before at Theo playing more like Ljunberg and also said this season both Theo and Giroud can play up front together without having one main striker. It's a weird role and Theo has got 20 goals this season so it's working to an extent. But we lose a lot on the wing and it's not as if Theo is great dribbling out wide anyway.

I think we'll either need a better right back that can work the right side so Theo can stay more on the shoulder and drift in like a second striker as he's doing or just get a better winger and give Theo a go up front. It's hard to argue with 20 goals and the amount of assists but it's a bit like Pod playing on the flanks but just not as bad. We need consistent threat on the flanks that troubles players with their dribbling and commits them. We're not getting that from either flank at the moment.

Power n Glory
05-05-2013, 06:18 AM
And proof all that blame on the midfield for us conceding too many over the last 3 years has been largely bull and typical clueless fan favourite playing and scapegoating.

People just didnt what to blame that fraud "verminator" :haha:. They decided he was a good player and were sticking to that. Glad hes been found out. Now ship him out.

Ramsey and Rosicky worked their socks off in the middle though. Rosicky was full of energy for an old man. I lost count of the amount of times he came running back to jump in with a hard tackle and then go sprinting off in the other direction once we won the ball back. The defence have been a much better though. It's been a combination of both imo. But Verms shouldn't be starting games for us. Kos and Merts have been fantastic and we're back to keeping clean sheets.

Xhaka Can’t
05-05-2013, 07:26 AM

This.

Apart from maybe, 'the bottom of my arse' bit. I'm not so sure about that.

milla
05-05-2013, 07:33 AM
Wenger has some decisions to make next year. Podolski is going to find himself on the bench a lot next season if he keeps playing like that. It's only his third game up front but he's struggled to get a shot on goal and wasn't moving well at all. He's not suited as a winger imo and if he can't play as a striker, I struggle to think where else he can play. He'll have to show something more next game because I have a feeling Wenger is considering that £12m bid. It would be silly to sell after one season but I just get the feeling Wenger has seen enough of him on the flanks which is why he's on the bench so much.

Walcott got another goal and was unlucky not to score another but his role on the right has really changed this season. He's playing much more in the opponents half and on the shoulder of the defender more. More like a wide second striker and I'm convinced it's what Wenger wants him to do because he's hinted before at Theo playing more like Ljunberg and also said this season both Theo and Giroud can play up front together without having one main striker. It's a weird role and Theo has got 20 goals this season so it's working to an extent. But we lose a lot on the wing and it's not as if Theo is great dribbling out wide anyway.

I think we'll either need a better right back that can work the right side so Theo can stay more on the shoulder and drift in like a second striker as he's doing or just get a better winger and give Theo a go up front. It's hard to argue with 20 goals and the amount of assists but it's a bit like Pod playing on the flanks but just not as bad. We need consistent threat on the flanks that troubles players with their dribbling and commits them. We're not getting that from either flank at the moment.

Theo is crap, in fact all of our strikers are bad. We need a proper CF and at least one wide forward next season. Draxler, Jovetic or Lewandowski must be our priority signing for next season, need our mini tiki taka back IMO. :coffee:

Xhaka Can’t
05-05-2013, 07:39 AM
Ramsey and Rosicky worked their socks off in the middle though. Rosicky was full of energy for an old man. I lost count of the amount of times he came running back to jump in with a hard tackle and then go sprinting off in the other direction once we won the ball back. The defence have been a much better though. It's been a combination of both imo. But Verms shouldn't be starting games for us. Kos and Merts have been fantastic and we're back to keeping clean sheets.

On the one hand, it is pretty tragic how little we have seen from Rosicky because of his injuries.

On the other hand, had he not been injury prone, we'd have seen a bit more of what he could do, then we'd have cashed in and sold him to City.

Or maybe United.

Marc Overmars
05-05-2013, 09:03 AM

Wenget needs to take the armband off Vermaelen in the summer.

Alpha
05-05-2013, 09:04 AM
It's only Arsenal fans who can complain after such a crucial win regardless of the performance . Other fans could have enjoyed it . At the end of the day , what matters at this time is the result . History says Arsenal hardly won at QPR ground . The boys changed history and won . They are working really hard to make their fans happy but what they get is ..moan , moan , moan . It is not surprising at all . That's typical Arsenal fans .

Marc Overmars
05-05-2013, 09:17 AM
It's only Arsenal fans who can complain after such a crucial win regardless of the performance . Other fans could have enjoyed it . At the end of the day , what matters at this time is the result . History says Arsenal hardly won at QPR ground . The boys changed history and won . They are working really hard to make their fans happy but what they get is ..moan , moan , moan . It is not surprising at all . That's typical Arsenal fans .

Enough with this sanctimonious crap, you do it all the time.

It's not just Arsenal fans, I've seen United fans on Redcafe question their performances many times despite cruising to the title. Yes it's true at this stage of the season and the position we are in, we'd all take a win regardless of how its done. It doesn't change the fact though that football fans want to see good football, the only thing people have done is make valid observations.

As for changing history...what? How many times have we even played away against QPR since they were relegated in the 90's? :unsure:

You make it sound like we've achieved something incredible.

Niall_Quinn
05-05-2013, 09:18 AM
If they weren't shit people wouldn't moan.

Joker
05-05-2013, 09:21 AM
http://arseblog.com/2013/05/qpr-0-1-arsenal-points-good-performance-erm/

Interesting that Walcott gets an entire paragraph criticising his performance while there's just a throwaway line about how Podolski found it tough upfront.

Niall_Quinn
05-05-2013, 09:24 AM

Interesting that Walcott gets an entire paragraph criticising his performance while there's just a throwaway line about how Podolski found it tough upfront.

Because we've been patient for years with Walcott giving him time to learn about football. But the boy doesn't learn so people are pissed. If pods doesn't sort his shit out he'll be slaughtered too. Trouble is, so much shit so little time to slate it all.

Joker
05-05-2013, 09:26 AM
http://news.arseblog.com/2013/05/qpr-0-1-arsenal-player-ratings/

He gives Walcott and Podolski the same rating :haha:

Niall_Quinn
05-05-2013, 09:30 AM
That's about right, Walcott fluked a goal, pods occasionally passed the ball to arsenal players. So much of a muchness.

Alpha
05-05-2013, 09:31 AM
Enough with this sanctimonious crap, you do it all the time.

It's not just Arsenal fans, I've seen United fans on Redcafe question their performances many times despite cruising to the title. Yes it's true at this stage of the season and the position we are in, we'd all take a win regardless of how its done. It doesn't change the fact though that football fans want to see good football, the only thing people have done is make valid observations.

As for changing history...what? How many times have we even played away against QPR since they were relegated in the 90's? :unsure:

You make it sound like we've achieved something incredible.

Should I be surprised with your reaction ? Not at all .

Niall_Quinn
05-05-2013, 09:35 AM

Fans are bored of limping over the line with a team that does the bare minimum and has no balls. Getting 4th, getting wins, qualifying for the CL. What does it matter at Arsenal? There's no progress, no forward momentum, no urgency to compete. So you look for a scrap of entertainment but there is nothing there either. Depressing how awful this club is.

Joker
05-05-2013, 09:36 AM

This is a match reaction thread, if people felt we played badly they should be allowed to say it without being called 'moaners'

Marc Overmars
05-05-2013, 09:41 AM

No. You probably knew it was coming, just like I knew your high and mighty blanket statement about Arsenal fans was as well.

Power n Glory
05-05-2013, 09:44 AM
http://news.arseblog.com/2013/05/qpr-0-1-arsenal-player-ratings/

He gives Walcott and Podolski the same rating :haha:

I'd have given him 6/10. He's playing more like a wide striker these days. Wasn't a great game from him but got the goal an worked the keeper. He's spending a lot less time with the ball at his feet and more time playing between defenders and looking to get on the end of a through ball.

BOBN
05-05-2013, 09:57 AM

He'd prefer an extra 11 nothing passes over a goal :haha:

We dont win because we dont desire winning. A bit of tippy-tappy and everyones happy. Small club mentality. Chelsea are a bigger club than us now.

KSE Comedy Club
05-05-2013, 10:16 AM
This'll get an interesting response, but giroud is clearly missed up front as part of our attack.

Yes we can still score, but we have no outlet to hold the ball up in the area.

Power n Glory
05-05-2013, 10:39 AM
This is business as usual. We have't suffered at all without him. We weren't playing very well with him and it's just continued on.

Ollie the Optimist
05-05-2013, 10:41 AM

funnily enough podolski didnt hold the club to ransom to become the highest paid player. thats why fans arent happpy, because he suddenly had a purple patch when trying to get a new contract, then after that, became lazy, arrogant etc. its not hard to see why fans dont like that

Joker
05-05-2013, 11:00 AM
funnily enough podolski didnt hold the club to ransom to become the highest paid player. thats why fans arent happpy, because he suddenly had a purple patch when trying to get a new contract, then after that, became lazy, arrogant etc. its not hard to see why fans dont like that

I don't think you're right, the vast majority of comments on Arseblog's player rating are critical of Walcott's rating. He also gets great support from the away fans. So I think most fans have got over the contract issue. In any case, he wasn't holding the club to ransom, he was trying to negotiate the best deal possible for him, which is what every employee should do, rather than be a sheep and accept any old crap contract that doesn't reflect your true worth.

Niall_Quinn
05-05-2013, 11:28 AM
It was laughable we fell for walcotts demands. Who else wanted him? We should have told him to shut his gob and learn how to kick a ball. Just a coincidence he got his cash and then disappeared. Horrible little ****.

Marc Overmars
05-05-2013, 11:29 AM
This'll get an interesting response, but giroud is clearly missed up front as part of our attack.

Yes we can still score, but we have no outlet to hold the ball up in the area.

Not sure, struggling to construct effective and meaningful attacks has been a problem all season IMO.

BOBN
05-05-2013, 11:43 AM
It was laughable we fell for walcotts demands. Who else wanted him? We should have told him to shut his gob and learn how to kick a ball. Just a coincidence he got his cash and then disappeared. Horrible little ****.
Since he signed hes racked up more goals/assists than wilshere in his whole career :haha:

milla
05-05-2013, 11:49 AM
Since he signed hes racked up more goals/assists than wilshere in his whole career :haha:

Our English players are overrated. Wilshere is never an AM or no 10, he is a CM. No it is OK if he has very few goals/assists. :coffee:

BOBN
05-05-2013, 12:01 PM
Our English players are overrated. Wilshere is never an AM or no 10, he is a CM. No it is OK if he has very few goals/assists. :coffee:
That teenager at Liverpool Coutinho can see and play passes Wilshere wouldnt dream of. Offers much more and was like £8m. Id swap them in a heartbeat.

Power n Glory
05-05-2013, 12:13 PM

Interesting fact for all the Walcott critics. This season he's scored more goals than any of Wenger's wide players/non strikers.

Pires best - 19 goals
Freddie - 17 goals
Overmars - 16
Arshavin - 12
Cesc - 19

Theo - 20 goals this season and 14 assists.

This is the worst Arsenal team I've seen under Wenger and the least creative. For a player like Walcott to rack up those sort of numbers suggests he's doing something right. I still think we can get more out of him playing as the main striker. He's spending less time with the ball at his feet and more time looking to exploit space and making runs. Reminds me of stat about Owen. He spent on average a minute or less with ball at his feet. Theo isn't a talented dribbler but he's able to make room for himself to work a shot.

KSE Comedy Club
05-05-2013, 12:18 PM
Not sure, struggling to construct effective and meaningful attacks has been a problem all season IMO.
I agree, but the last couple of games have been even worse.

I just think we miss the target man at the mo and have to score through clever passing, which is currently beyond this team for more than 5 mins per game.

Özil's Panoramic View
05-05-2013, 12:25 PM
That teenager at Liverpool Coutinho can see and play passes Wilshere wouldnt dream of. Offers much more and was like £8m. Id swap them in a heartbeat.

Coutinho is awesome. :cloud9:

milla
05-05-2013, 12:51 PM
Coutinho is awesome. :cloud9:

C U N T :coffee:

Xhaka Can’t
05-05-2013, 01:22 PM

Absolute tosh.

milla
05-05-2013, 01:24 PM
Absolute tosh.

****s those goonah fans tbh. :coffee:

Xhaka Can’t
05-05-2013, 01:28 PM
Interesting fact for all the Walcott critics. This season he's scored more goals than any of Wenger's wide players/non strikers.

Pires best - 19 goals
Freddie - 17 goals
Overmars - 16
Arshavin - 12
Cesc - 19

Theo - 20 goals this season and 14 assists.

This is the worst Arsenal team I've seen under Wenger and the least creative. For a player like Walcott to rack up those sort of numbers suggests he's doing something right. I still think we can get more out of him playing as the main striker. He's spending less time with the ball at his feet and more time looking to exploit space and making runs. Reminds me of stat about Owen. He spent on average a minute or less with ball at his feet. Theo isn't a talented dribbler but he's able to make room for himself to work a shot.

I don't get the point of your comparison.

Power n Glory
05-05-2013, 01:42 PM
I don't get the point of your comparison.

Come on now, it's not that early in the day. :lol:

What do you think of his performance this season and the comments made in this thread when compared to these numbers?

milla
05-05-2013, 01:55 PM
Come on now, it's not that early in the day. :lol:

What do you think of his performance this season and the comments made in this thread when compared to these numbers?

Nah, Pires, Ljunberg, Overmars, Cesc (even Arshavin) didnt get to play in worthless CC or FA cup tie against CC sides. Feo had 5 goals from mickey mouse cup and few more against lower league teams in FA cup. No comparison.

Power n Glory
05-05-2013, 02:23 PM
Nah, Pires, Ljunberg, Overmars, Cesc (even Arshavin) didnt get to play in worthless CC or FA cup tie against CC sides. Feo had 5 goals from mickey mouse cup and few more against lower league teams in FA cup. No comparison.

And you can remember every single goal those guys scored to tally up those numbers? It's not as if Theo doesn't score in the big games. He's scored a goal against all the big clubs and in the big games. Let's not pretend it's only against small teams.

There is no comparison but there are many people on here, including yourself that say he doesn't contribute much but he's scored more goals this season than any of Wenger's non strikers. It's a nutty stat and he has the potential to do more because this hasn't been a great season for him or the squad in general.

milla
05-05-2013, 02:28 PM
And you can remember every single goal those guys scored to tally up those numbers? It's not as if Theo doesn't score in the big games. He's scored a goal against all the big clubs and in the big games. Let's not pretend it's only against small teams.

There is no comparison but there are many people on here, including yourself that say he doesn't contribute much but he's scored more goals this season than any of Wenger's non strikers. It's a nutty stat and he has the potential to do more because this hasn't been a great season for him or the squad in general.

No, I dont remember Pires, Ljunberg or Overmars playing in Carling Cup. :coffee:

Power n Glory
05-05-2013, 02:34 PM
No, I dont remember Pires, Ljunberg or Overmars playing in Carling Cup. :coffee:

Does that make a huge difference to the argument?

Niall_Quinn
05-05-2013, 02:41 PM

I did an analysis of walnuts goals a while back, he's a classic +1 player. Slightly better from him recently in terms of getting useful goals but he's anything but an effective forward. I'd love to see us buy a footballer to replace him. We'd still get the 20 goals but we'd also get so much more that walnut cant provide. The poor bastard screws up 99% of everything that comes his way. He's a disaster zone who statistically over a season will be in the right place enough times to hack something into the net. But that shouldn't be used as cover for his lack of technical and even basic ability. Worrying thing is Ox looks a shadow of the player he was last year. Don't know what Wenger does to these guys but he should stop doing it.

Power n Glory
05-05-2013, 02:59 PM
I did an analysis of walnuts goals a while back, he's a classic +1 player. Slightly better from him recently in terms of getting useful goals but he's anything but an effective forward. I'd love to see us buy a footballer to replace him. We'd still get the 20 goals but we'd also get so much more that walnut cant provide. The poor bastard screws up 99% of everything that comes his way. He's a disaster zone who statistically over a season will be in the right place enough times to hack something into the net. But that shouldn't be used as cover for his lack of technical and even basic ability. Worrying thing is Ox looks a shadow of the player he was last year. Don't know what Wenger does to these guys but he should stop doing it.

:lol: We'd still get 20?

How comes Nasri, Hleb, Gervinho, Rosicky, Reyes....or any wide player we've bought since the old days haven't been able to rack up the numbers? If it were that easy someone would have done it by now and those players are technically better than Theo.

I hear the criticism about his limitations but for a limited player he's doing really well and can get better. It's so ignorant to say he contributes nothing, especially when compared to past players. It was bad enough yesterday when he scored the only goal in the game that got us the 3 points. He's an unpolished player that can improve and needs to find consistency but if he finds that then we have a serious beast on our hands and it's worth persisting with him especially if we all can agree that he can improve.

Niall_Quinn
05-05-2013, 03:08 PM
:lol: We'd still get 20?

How comes Nasri, Hleb, Gervinho, Rosicky, Reyes....or any wide player we've bought since the old days haven't been able to rack up the numbers? If it were that easy someone would have done it by now and those players are technically better than Theo.

I hear the criticism about his limitations but for a limited player he's doing really well and can get better. It's so ignorant to say he contributes nothing, especially when compared to past players. It was bad enough yesterday when he scored the only goal in the game that got us the 3 points. He's an unpolished player that can improve and needs to find consistency but if he finds that then we have a serious beast on our hands and it's worth persisting with him especially if we all can agree that he can improve.

If we'd have stopped playing yesterday after walnut fluked his gal we would ave lost by around 180 goals to 1. So no, walnut didn't win us the game just like his +1s that have racked up stats have done us precious little in terms of us achieving anything notable this season. If any of those players you mentioned were in a team as shit as the one we ave know they'd have played more and got more goals. But we had decent players back then and didn't need to field a first team against reading in the CC so Pires could rack up stats and then take a holiday. You evidently don't watch Walcott other than when he's kneeing or shinning it into the net. Watch him next time he's useless at every aspect of the game.

Power n Glory
05-05-2013, 03:17 PM
If we'd have stopped playing yesterday after walnut fluked his gal we would ave lost by around 180 goals to 1. So no, walnut didn't win us the game just like his +1s that have racked up stats have done us precious little in terms of us achieving anything notable this season. If any of those players you mentioned were in a team as shit as the one we ave know they'd have played more and got more goals. But we had decent players back then and didn't need to field a first team against reading in the CC so Pires could rack up stats and then take a holiday. You evidently don't watch Walcott other than when he's kneeing or shinning it into the net. Watch him next time he's useless at every aspect of the game.

:lol: There is no reasoning with you on this topic. Understand, I'm not saying Theo is perfect but some of the criticism is well off and out of balance. We win by one goal and you're still arguing against that fact. Unbelievable. :doh:

Have a good day, dude.

milla
05-05-2013, 03:20 PM
Does that make a huge difference to the argument?

Of course, the pressure to perform is so much higher, quality of opponents are different. :coffee:

Niall_Quinn
05-05-2013, 03:27 PM
:lol: There is no reasoning with you on this topic. Understand, I'm not saying Theo is perfect but some of the criticism is well off and out of balance. We win by one goal and you're still arguing against that fact. Unbelievable. :doh:

Have a good day, dude.

I'm not arguing we didn't win by a goal. I'm stating walnut didn't win us the game. Him accidentally not fucking up after 20 seconds left a little bit more todo in that match. Not that you'd have known it by Theo's performance.

Power n Glory
05-05-2013, 03:29 PM
Of course, the pressure to perform is so much higher, quality of opponents are different. :coffee:

Yep, and there isn't a top side Theo hasn't scored against. Champs League, League or Cup, he's contributed.

Kano
05-05-2013, 07:00 PM
Feo:

West Ham away 1-3 (scored the second goal)
Newcastle home 7-3 (scored first and fourth goal - score was 3-3)
Liverpool home 2-2 (scored second goal)
Man Utd home 1-1 (scored only goal)
QPR away 0-1 (scored only goal)

that's eleven points from his goals, and only one of those was as a striker, when he scored a hat trick against newcastle. that's not even analysing the assists that have contributed to other points. i think it would be fair to suggest at least another 6 points would have come as a result of assists he provided.

take those points away and where are we? far too easy to say we could replace those goals very easily because football isn't played on paper.

not the greatest footballer in the world but he is effective. that is the bottom line. that is needed in this team right now.

Niall_Quinn
05-05-2013, 07:28 PM
Oh come on. Giroud has goals too because he plays up top, and he's just as shit as theo. Podolski has hardly started and he has goals. Cazorla has goals. Knock out walcotts +1 goals and he's done no better than anyone else. Then you have to take into account just how poor a player he is. We need much better than Walcott if we are ever going to push on. It's not just him, as I said Giroud, Gervinho, broken players like Diaby they all have to go. Depending if the board actually wants us to move on, which it appears they don't. Of course they need to fuck off too.

Kano
05-05-2013, 07:52 PM
Oh come on. Giroud has goals too because he plays up top, and he's just as shit as theo. Podolski has hardly started and he has goals. Cazorla has goals. Knock out walcotts +1 goals and he's done no better than anyone else. Then you have to take into account just how poor a player he is. We need much better than Walcott if we are ever going to push on. It's not just him, as I said Giroud, Gervinho, broken players like Diaby they all have to go. Depending if the board actually wants us to move on, which it appears they don't. Of course they need to fuck off too.
the post isn't designed to state he is player of the season. of course he isn't. the point was to illustrate that his goals and assists have won us vital points. that's why it makes no sense to highlight him as one of our biggest problems. do we care if we get top four? of course, otherwise we wouldn't be here bollocking on everyday about it and everything else. is it good enough for us or the club? no. is it likely to change? probably not. so the choices for our participation are clear enough.

Niall_Quinn
05-05-2013, 07:57 PM
the post isn't designed to state he is player of the season. of course he isn't. the point was to illustrate that his goals and assists have won us vital points. that's why it makes no sense to highlight him as one of our biggest problems. do we care if we get top four? of course, otherwise we wouldn't be here bollocking on everyday about it and everything else. is it good enough for us or the club? no. is it likely to change? probably not. so the choices for our participation are clear enough.

I'm here because there's one interest left, finishing above the spuds. Couldn't give a shite about anything else and I don't think I'm the only one. My point is, if we go into next season with these players then we'll get the same result.

Xhaka Can’t
05-05-2013, 08:47 PM
I agree - all that has been left for me for some time now is the desire to finish against the Spuds.

I'd feel the same way if it was for 14th/15th as I do for 4th/5th.

BOBN
06-05-2013, 07:05 AM

Have a good day, dude.
Stop trying to reason, this aint about football. Hes upset that a young man like theo earns a lot of money and the bitterness consumes him. But he doesnt have the balls to just say that so dresses it up as something else.

Just laugh at his feminine rage and move on. Theres nothing more to it. See -> :haha:

Niall_Quinn
06-05-2013, 12:08 PM
Stop trying to reason, this aint about football. Hes upset that a young man like theo earns a lot of money and the bitterness consumes him. But he doesnt have the balls to just say that so dresses it up as something else.

Just laugh at his feminine rage and move on. Theres nothing more to it. See -> :haha:

Not me worshipping "young men" is it? Oddly (given your assumption) I don't seem to begrudge Jack his wages. Another one up in smoke? Looks like it, personally I put it down to a lack of reason and/ or attention seeking provocation. Jack signs his contract, says he loves Arsenal, plays really well right up to getting a serious injury - in your book, he's the ****. Theo? Well he's the star of the show. Play me up front boss, give me £100K boss, no I won't sign the contract until I get what I want and eat this Gooners, thanks for the contract and you get nothing back. I think being so provocatively anti on an issue fans care about and one of the few good things that remains at the club is an attention thing because it's unlikely you lack the reason (basic wit) to see through your own arguments.

Letters
06-05-2013, 12:57 PM
Our key match was vs Everton and we fucked it.
Why was that the key one? They're all key ones aren't they?

We're not going to win every single game, strangely it's the two games we've played best in - Utd and Everton - that we've not won. We've rather stumbled through the rest and won them all.

Letters
06-05-2013, 01:00 PM
I only saw the highlights but from what they showed we only had about 3 really decent chances and Theo had all of them. He scored and had another 2 shots saved one of while hit the post and nearly went in.

Theo certainly isn't as good as some (well, one) of the WUMs on here makes out but he's not as bad as some of the other WUMs make out either.
You're being a bit harsh on him IMO.

Niall_Quinn
06-05-2013, 01:13 PM
I only saw the highlights but from what they showed we only had about 3 really decent chances and Theo had all of them. He scored and had another 2 shots saved one of while hit the post and nearly went in.

Theo certainly isn't as good as some (well, one) of the WUMs on here makes out but he's not as bad as some of the other WUMs make out either.
You're being a bit harsh on him IMO.

That's right, we have players here that aren't that good and aren't that bad. Which is why our standards have plunged along with our ability to compete. Our very ordinary players mean we have very ordinary season after very ordinary season and I thought this is what the fans are pissed about? It's not we all demand trophies, it's we want some hope of competing for a trophy. Well you can't do that with players like Theo Walcott.

On the surface he's no worse than some of the other shit here except in one respect, his contract saga. Of course some fans are going to see straight through him and have a strong opinion of what they see. Look how it's done - Giroud, he's shit but he tries and I like the bloke. Put another way, it'd be great if he could get his shit together and most fans (while I suspect knowing he's never going to be good enough) are giving him the chance to prove them wrong. Kos is another example. We all hope Giroud will be the next Kos, right?

Gervinho, he's had slightly longer but remains a bit of a joke. Patience is thinner with him.

Walcott? How long exactly? How many years? And then he does the whole contract thing? Really, you can't see there's a difference with this guy?

WMUG
06-05-2013, 01:16 PM

That was our game in hand, so it came with some psychological baggage. I think an argument can be made that because of that, it was the one that came with the most pressure and the one that we cracked in.

Power n Glory
06-05-2013, 01:41 PM
That's right, we have players here that aren't that good and aren't that bad. Which is why our standards have plunged along with our ability to compete. Our very ordinary players mean we have very ordinary season after very ordinary season and I thought this is what the fans are pissed about? It's not we all demand trophies, it's we want some hope of competing for a trophy. Well you can't do that with players like Theo Walcott.

On the surface he's no worse than some of the other shit here except in one respect, his contract saga. Of course some fans are going to see straight through him and have a strong opinion of what they see. Look how it's done - Giroud, he's shit but he tries and I like the bloke. Put another way, it'd be great if he could get his shit together and most fans (while I suspect knowing he's never going to be good enough) are giving him the chance to prove them wrong. Kos is another example. We all hope Giroud will be the next Kos, right?

Gervinho, he's had slightly longer but remains a bit of a joke. Patience is thinner with him.

Walcott? How long exactly? How many years? And then he does the whole contract thing? Really, you can't see there's a difference with this guy?

20 goals and 14 assists is a decent return for an ordinary player. We've had better players but some haven't even come close to those sort of numbers and they played alongside better players. If this is a shit season for Theo, what's he going to be like if he's really in form and carries it through for a whole season?

The contract situation is a funny one. It makes no sense bitching about the players wanting competitive wages and then bitching about the penny pinching, asset stripping Board. We can't have it both ways and I hope as a club we're now willing to pay competitive wages otherwise we'll continue to fall behind. He wanted a better contract like all players do and he got it. It would have been senseless to dig our heels in because you know we'd never have spent to replace him because we're looking at spending £20+m and over £100k a week on a winger that can get that many goals and assists plus scare the defenders senseless. I hope we've now passed that threshold and we're now willing to spend.

Power n Glory
06-05-2013, 01:41 PM
Feo:

West Ham away 1-3 (scored the second goal)
Newcastle home 7-3 (scored first and fourth goal - score was 3-3)
Liverpool home 2-2 (scored second goal)
Man Utd home 1-1 (scored only goal)
QPR away 0-1 (scored only goal)

that's eleven points from his goals, and only one of those was as a striker, when he scored a hat trick against newcastle. that's not even analysing the assists that have contributed to other points. i think it would be fair to suggest at least another 6 points would have come as a result of assists he provided.

take those points away and where are we? far too easy to say we could replace those goals very easily because football isn't played on paper.

not the greatest footballer in the world but he is effective. that is the bottom line. that is needed in this team right now.

:gp: Good bit of analysis.

The Emirates Gallactico
06-05-2013, 02:02 PM

We're not going to win every single game, strangely it's the two games we've played best in - Utd and Everton - that we've not won. We've rather stumbled through the rest and won them all.

The key games have been the ones where we've dropped points all season, in particular the ones where a more clinical striker (*cough* RVP) may have managed to secure us the three points. It still amazes me that we can sell RVP for "footballing" or even financial reasons when not having in the team may cost us 25 million+ from not being in the CL next year.

Letters
06-05-2013, 02:32 PM
Some people seem to retrospectively declaring a game 'key' because we dropped points.
Agree if we had a proper striker we'd have beaten Everton, that was a good performance.
But on Saturday Spurs leapfrogged us, we played later in the day knowing we had to win. Had we not done so people would have said we bottled it. Right now they're all key games.

Letters
06-05-2013, 02:34 PM
That was our game in hand, so it came with some psychological baggage. I think an argument can be made that because of that, it was the one that came with the most pressure and the one that we cracked in.
We didn't crack, it was one of our best performances in the recent run. We just don't have a clinical striker. If we had one we'd have won that game.
Is it not a key game on Saturday when we've just seen Spurs leapfrog and know we have to win to keep in the hunt for 4th?

Xhaka Can’t
06-05-2013, 04:43 PM
20 goals and 14 assists is a decent return for an ordinary player. We've had better players but some haven't even come close to those sort of numbers and they played alongside better players. If this is a shit season for Theo, what's he going to be like if he's really in form and carries it through for a whole season?

The contract situation is a funny one. It makes no sense bitching about the players wanting competitive wages and then bitching about the penny pinching, asset stripping Board. We can't have it both ways and I hope as a club we're now willing to pay competitive wages otherwise we'll continue to fall behind. He wanted a better contract like all players do and he got it. It would have been senseless to dig our heels in because you know we'd never have spent to replace him because we're looking at spending £20+m and over £100k a week on a winger that can get that many goals and assists plus scare the defenders senseless. I hope we've now passed that threshold and we're now willing to spend.

I still think your comparison point is meaningless - different players, eras, roles and competitions as past first teamers were rotated heavily if played at all in Cup games and they played in teams where loads were more evenly and widely spread.

But your point in bold is what I have issue with here. Why Theo? What was the fricken point in letting genuine superstars, world class superstars go, but then decide to make a financial outlay on him? This isn't about having it both ways or indeed the best of both worlds, it is the worst of everything. A masterclass in fucking up what incredibly was in our very recent history, a world class football club - with the best of all worlds in almost every position, and players on the bench we can only dream about being in todays first team.

And we make a stand with Theo? Really?

WMUG
06-05-2013, 05:09 PM
We didn't crack, it was one of our best performances in the recent run. We just don't have a clinical striker. If we had one we'd have won that game.
Is it not a key game on Saturday when we've just seen Spurs leapfrog and know we have to win to keep in the hunt for 4th?
Yes, it is. All of them are, as you say. But the reason everyone points to the Everton one is because it was our game in hand, which comes along with certain connotations. And fair enough, I didn't see it given that I think it kicked off at 4:45am here.

Power n Glory
06-05-2013, 05:10 PM
I still think your comparison point is meaningless - different players, eras, roles and competitions as past first teamers were rotated heavily if played at all in Cup games and they played in teams where loads were more evenly and widely spread.

But your point in bold is what I have issue with here. Why Theo? What was the fricken point in letting genuine superstars, world class superstars go, but then decide to make a financial outlay on him? This isn't about having it both ways or indeed the best of both worlds, it is the worst of everything. A masterclass in fucking up what incredibly was in our very recent history, a world class football club - with the best of all worlds in almost every position, and players on the bench we can only dream about being in todays first team.

And we make a stand with Theo? Really?

It's far from a meaningless comparison in light of all the criticism he's getting and that shouldn't be that hard to work out. If he's that useless he wouldn't be able to rack up those sort of numbers. It makes no difference about rotation and the era they played in because it's not as if other wingers we've had like Arshavin and Gervinho have come close to matching those numbers. We always refer back to the Invincible period as the gold standard so why should this be ignored when no other winger has scored 20 in one season for us? It's obvious he's not better than them and that's not what I'm driving at. Just look at some the deluded comments and think about his contribution this season and it's obvious there is a middle ground here. He has to work on his game but to get so many goals in a squad like this and when he's so flawed is something to think about.

As for the contract situation, you have to start somewhere. Maybe the backlash against the RVP sale woke them up and they finally saw how deflated the players and fans were. Theo was the next player in line for major contract talks and it would have been another kick in the teeth to let him go. They made two massive blunders in the summer and third would have been crazy. You just have to hope this change in approach doesn't stop with Theo.

Letters
06-05-2013, 05:19 PM
Yes, it is. All of them are, as you say. But the reason everyone points to the Everton one is because it was our game in hand, which comes along with certain connotations. And fair enough, I didn't see it given that I think it kicked off at 4:45am here.
I never really understand people pointing to a game and saying that was the game in hand. Yes, it was originally the game which was postponed but things then get so muddled up it becomes meaningless. In fact, when we played Everton we'd played the same number of games as Spurs, after we played them they then had a game in hand over us.

GP
06-05-2013, 05:38 PM
There have been plenty of shitty draws (Sunderland, Stoke) and defeats (Swansea, Norwich!!!) so it seems odd to point to the everton game as the key.

Xhaka Can’t
06-05-2013, 06:10 PM
There have been plenty of shitty draws (Sunderland, Stoke) and defeats (Swansea, Norwich!!!) so it seems odd to point to the everton game as the key.

It was key in that we went into it knowing what it meant. That said, I haven't got an issue with our performance in that particular match. I thought we played really well, and even though it was scoreless, it was entertaining - one of the better matches this season imo.

Letters
06-05-2013, 06:27 PM
We went into Saturday's knowing what it meant too, especially as Spurs had already won.

Xhaka Can’t
06-05-2013, 06:29 PM
We went into Saturday's knowing what it meant too, especially as Spurs had already won.

Yeah, against one of the shittiest teams in football.

And we were shit.

Against Everton, we were playing against a genuine threat and played well.

Niall_Quinn
06-05-2013, 06:41 PM
Momentum. That's what it's about. The chance to dishearten the opposition rather than give them a glimmer. Being mentally tougher than they guys you are up against. Season after season we've seen this, whenever we get a chance to consolidate we blow it. The subsequent performance against QPR was one of the worst I have ever witnessed as an Arsenal fan and it was pure luck we came out of that with the points. Maybe it's okay to get a lucky roll of the dice and claim some sort of mastery, that works psychologically too I suppose. But much better to be authoritative. Not possible with these players though. We'll be a bag of nerves against Wigan, they will be mentally tougher than us. Luckily the only team with a greater mental frailty seems to be spurs. Very luckily or we'd long since have lost this record of winning a virtual trophy every year. I don't what excuse the spuds have, they are world class bottlers even though there's investment into their squad. For us it must be hard to be a player because everything about Arsenal (beyond the finances) screams of being second best and settling for the minimum. Hardly an incentive. This negligence made the difference against Everton where we were unable to break down the opponent due to having such sub-standard forward players. Everything is connected.

Letters
06-05-2013, 09:22 PM
What will be interesting is if Spurs drop points in the next 2 games. That would put it in our slippery hands. That's generally when we fall apart. Happened last year. How many chances did we have to seal St Totteringham's Day? In the end we only just limped over the line on the last day.